Dixie Louise was grown when she came into my life. As you know, she
left on June 12. On July 14 and 30 two young kittens (ferals) came
into my life. Obviously I want to get them tested. The results make
no difference in their futures. They will be indoor, cared for cats
My vet feels that kittens should be at least 3 months in order to get
results you can depend upon.
- Original Message -
From: Marylyn [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:46 AM
Subject: [Felvtalk] testing kittens
Dixie Louise was grown
Even with negative kittens, unless you find a strictly no kill shelter
and keep them yourself until they are 8 weeks, they'd probably be put to
sleep anyway without even being tested...and even a no-kill shelter will
euthanize the positives.
I know it sounds sad to terminate but unless you will
I am afraid I am on the verge of losing my loved and adored kitty, Cole. I have
had him for 6 1/2 years and we have had our ups and downs with some illnesses
but nothing a little TLC and medicine couldn't handle. I got Cole when he was 5
months old from the Humane Society and about a week
And the life they lead before they are killed is rough. They are
surrounded by awful noises, cold bars..and may or may not have a
gentle death at the hands of people who cannot afford to love them.
On Aug 12, 2008, at 8:12 AM, Heather wrote:
Even with negative kittens, unless you find a
Kim, I am so sorry for what you are going through with your Cole. We had to
put our old guy to rest last Thursday and had lost our young cat to leukemia
in March after owning him for only month. It's been such heartbreak around
here. Your Cole is way to young to leave for a healthy cat but
Exactly, well put. Whenever someone asks me for help with a cat or kitten
saying otherwise they'll have to take them to a AS/AC, I tell them that if
they care about the cat at all they should take it to the vet to be put down
themselves rather than subject them to such a fearful, cold
Jennifer, I know how bad you must be feeling now, and I know what it's
like to not have enough money to go around, and I know what it's like to
make a bad judgment call. Obviously you should have made it a priority
to have *somebody* fixed since unfixed cats living together WILL do what
Kim, I am sorry you are going through this with your dear Cole...only you and
your vet will know when it is time to let him go...I just lost my very first
rescued babyhe was only 7...not nearly old enough to go! Warm, loving
thoughts for you both. From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To:
Let's wait and see what the vet says before thinking about what to do.
There are many things that could cause Cole's symptoms, some serious and
some not so serious.
I have lost a few of my FeLV+ babies and I know how you are feeling, hang in
- Original Message -
I did not see your post where you lost your 19 yo baby. I am so sorry. It is
wonderful he had such loving parents. He is by now playing with your sweet
I am so sorry that Cole is sick, have you tried feeding him some people food?
When my guys stop eating I try everything, like deli turkey, boiled chicken,
canned tuna, baby food is usually a hit to get them started eating again.
Try not to worry too-too much until you see the vet
A couple of times, my Tucson sort of started turning her nose up at food.
Both times, vet found she had very LOW white blood count. He did a series
of immune-regulin shots and she bounced back pretty quickly.
In the meantime, I'd try giving Cole anything he might eat--people food like
Ash is getting fixed on the 28th and Isobel is getting fixed after that. I've
had to save up the money for both surgeries, that's why they weren't fixed
sooner. Honestly, with Ash's physical problems (not being able to stand and
walk properly), I didn't think he'd be able to mount her and
Hi, I am not so active on this list because I am
primarily doing rescue with only occassional
positives. But, I have to say I would spay this cat
so fast, pregnant or not. There are way too many
kittens being born outside this year - back to back
pregnancies it seems. And you don't need your
I realize its a very personal decision and a very hard one to make. But I
volunteer with a couple of shelters and I post pictures of the kittens they
get and its just as hard to have to take them off the picture site because
they didn't make it! You can't just try to find them homes--you have
I was planning on spaying her after Ash gets neutered. I am still going to
spay her at the local SPCA since they do it cheaper than my vet would. I am
still considered doing a spay-abortion.
Jennifer - PROUD VEGETARIAN LOCAL SPCA VOLUNTEER. Be their voice.
~ loving mama to ~
Since you are her guardian, obviously it's your choice as to what to do, but I
know for me, I try to do what is best for the cat, and not make a decsion based
on how it makes me feel. But again, it's your decsion and we can only give
Please tell me that you have separated Ash and
I wonder if you could spay her before you neuter him. The earlier the
better for her sake. Putting him off, since she is already pregnant,
shouldn't be an issue.
On Aug 12, 2008, at 8:02 PM, Jennifer wrote:
I was planning on spaying her after Ash gets neutered. I am still
going to spay
If you are going to spay/abort, the sooner the betterless risky for
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jennifer
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 8:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] I think my girl kitty
We rescued one mom with 4 kittens. All were FeLV+. It was heartbreaking
watching them slowly die off. The mom and 2 kittens died early on but two
kittens lived to age 1 and then died excruciating deaths. It was costly and
we couldn't find homes. Hard enough to find homes for healthy ones. My
Mail list logo