[Felvtalk] Rebecca - Tummy troubles

2009-08-13 Thread Iva Lark Emily Seaberg
Rebecca had a significant gum infection when she was diagnosed almost two weeks 
ago and the vet had placed her on Clindamyacin twice a day for ten days, and 
Prednisone twice a day for 7 days and then once a day for 21 days. I started 
the Clindamyacin  about 7/8 days ago and the Prednisone a few days ago. Becca 
has gradually developed diarrhea, and this morning it was worse, to the point 
she had leaked a bit on the bed where she slept. I felt so bad for her! So I 
called the vet to see about stopping the Clinda or if there were other 
options/causes I should be concerned about.
 
The vet said to give her a quarter of an Immodium AD pill twice a day, and 
reduce the Prednisone to once a day and to switch to an antibiotic Metro 
something for a week. The vet said Clinda doesn’t usually give diarrhea? She 
said it could be the Prednisone but her bigger concern is that it may be a gut 
bacteria making her sick so the Metro should help with that. She really 
stressed that Becca is in full blown AIDS essentially, has no immune system and 
is a ticking time bomb for something so I need to stay on top of this and if 
Becca isn’t 100% better in 48 hours she wants to do a stool sample culture. 
This is not my usual vet, who is still on vacation until next week.  Aside from 
the diarrhea Becca is acting just fine, though she didn’t finish all of her 
dinner last night which I can understand.
 
Should I be terribly concerned at this point? I almost felt like the vet was 
trying to panic me a bit and brace me for this being the end. How likely is 
that? I’m heading on my lunch to get her new meds, but I was going to go to the 
gym after work as usual but if I need to rush home after work instead I will. 
 
Iva
___
Felvtalk mailing list
Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org


Re: [Felvtalk] Wolfie Update

2009-08-05 Thread Iva Lark Emily Seaberg
A few years ago I had a kitty with Chronic Renal Failure. Towards the end he 
was extremely anemic and we did the Epogen. I'm so glad we did it because it 
did buy us some time. I decided to try the Epogen when it became clear he 
was not making new blood cells, his anemia became extreme and we knew that 
without help he would die from it, a slow, lethargic and very sad death. I 
wanted to give him a chance and the Epogen did. My vet talked to UC Davis 
about his unique situation (he also had high blood pressure and a heart 
problem) and we gave him a really really low dose. I believe typically they 
give it 3-4 times a week and we gave it once a week. It was such a low dose 
the vet thought it might not work, but it did and actually better than we 
anticipated.


So, I can't speak for the FeLV stuff, but I can say the Epogen wasn't as 
evil as I was expecting to be from what I had heard word of mouth. We used 
it very cautiously, and it seemed to make a big difference. You just really 
have to watch it, start off slow. It is easier to add treatments then try 
and slow it down and you don't want their values increasing too fast.


Good luck,

Iva

- Original Message - 

Message: 7
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 16:38:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: Amy awilkin...@yahoo.com
Subject: [Felvtalk] Wolfie Update




So I've been posting about my cat Wolfie who has been losing weight since 
about mid 2006, from 15.4 lbs down to 10.8 lbs today.  His last visit was 
on July 2nd and he had a HCT of 29.  He also tested positive for 
Mycoplasma haemominutum previously called Haemobartonella felis small 
form.  He's been on doxy, pred, and Pet-Tinic twice daily for almost a 
month.


My vet thought he looked great today and he hasn't lost any weight since 
his last visit but he's not gaining and his HCT is still going down.  We 
took a tiny amount of blood and sent it out for a reticulocyte count. 
I've lost almost all my leuk positives to anemia in the end (except for 
one to lymphoma and one to neurological issues) and I'm really bummed out 
by the news.  I was hoping treating the Hemobart would help the HCT even 
though my vet wasn't as optimistic.


I'm just wondering how most people here lose their leuk positives.  It 
seems all of mine do so well, are completely asymptomatic and then out of 
nowhere they stop making red blood cells, the HCT starts to drop, and it 
is downhill from there.  My vet wrote me a 10 page letter on everything 
that could cause weight loss and anemia and we have eliminated almost all 
the possibilities I think.  We haven't done a digestive panel yet because 
it takes 4 mls of blood and I don't want to do that with his HCT dropping. 
If the reticulocyte test comes back and shows he is making red blood 
cells, we will start investigating digestive issues or anything else that 
could be causing his lower HCT.  If it comes back as nonregenerative 
anemia, is there anything I can do?  I know there is the option of Epogen 
and I'm looking into that.  Anything else or do I just spend time with him 
and wait?  I hate this point where they are feeling fine, looking fine, 
and I know it's only
a matter of time :(  This guy has been with me longer than any of my other 
positives and I'd do anything to help him but I'm afraid there's nothing 
else I can do.  Thoughts?


Amy



___
Felvtalk mailing list
Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org


[Felvtalk] How to long to separate negative/positive kitties?

2009-08-03 Thread Iva Lark Emily Seaberg
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! It was very reassuring to read all of 
your posts, especially those with multi-cat mixed households. I spoke to the 
vet this morning and she was actually ok with my decision, but she wants me to 
keep my positive kitty isolated for now. She didn't say how long, though I know 
she is hoping for indefinitely. We are putting Becca on antibiotics for her 
oral inflammation and then steroids, which I know will temporarily decrease her 
immune system more but could be worth it in helping her fight the virus back? 
 
Anyway, here is my dilemna. Currently, Becca is isolated in my master 
bedroom/bath. All the cats are unhappy about this. The two negative kitties sit 
outside the door and reach their paws under to her. They meow at me with a 
clear Umm, Mom we want our sister back. and they try and sneak in there. She 
in turn tries to sneak out and is seeming a bit down. She's exceptionally 
affectionate when we go in there, more so than usual, but she's not eating as 
much and seems almost a bit depressed. She kept me up all night trying to love 
on me. I also know it is a small space and can get lonely. Now, I've read what 
everyone said about stressing her and I don't want to do that, so here's my 
dilemna. How long should she be quarantined for? The negative kitties JUST got 
their first vaccine on Friday and won't be at full protection until they get 
their boosters in 2.5 weeks. Should I keep her in there until at least then? 
Should I just let her out now? I really
 really want to minimize the negative's risk of exposure because I don't want 
them to be infected. 
 
I did read the articles everyone mentioned and it was still unclear to me where 
in the articles it says that it is safe to expose a negative to a positive. It 
still said they could infect, but no odds were mentioned, so therefore they 
should be separated. See below:
 
Uninfected cats in a household with infected cats should be vaccinated; 
however, other means of protecting uninfected cats (eg, physical separation) 
should also be used. Constant exposure to FeLV-infected cats is likely to 
result in viral transmission regardless of vaccination status. 
 
In ~70% of adult cats, viremia and virus shedding are transient, lasting only 
1-16 wk. A few cats continue to shed virus in secretions for several weeks to 
months after they cease to be viremic. Virus may persist in bone marrow for a 
longer period, but even this latent, or sequestered, infection usually 
disappears within 6 mo. Some FeLV-exposed cats (~30%) do not mount an adequate 
immune response and go on to become persistently (ie, permanently) viremic. 
Persistently viremic cats develop fatal diseases after a variable time period
 
What if she's just now in the shedding stage? Is she considered persisently 
viremic at this point as she's had gum issues for a few months? Does that mean 
she is currently shedding the virus?
 
I almost wonder if the positives that aren't infecting the negatives aren't at 
the viral shedding stage.  Is it really safe to expose the other kitties? 
Should I keep her quarantined for the next 2.5 weeks or does it really matter? 
I'm torn. On one hand I don't want to stress her unnecessarily, especially when 
I'm about to have to give her antibiotics twice a day and steroids twice a day. 
She is going to hate that. I don't want her to lose weight either, she's always 
been a tiny, dainty thing and she doesn't have any weight to lose! On the other 
hand I don't want to infect my other babies and I can't help but worry that to 
let her out now, before they have full vaccine protection at least, much less 
before the steroids have a chance to calm her virus down would be to stack the 
odds against them. 
 
I need advice!
 
Iva
___
Felvtalk mailing list
Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org


[Felvtalk] Introduction - Rebecca

2009-08-02 Thread Iva Lark Emily Seaberg
My 2 year old cat Rebecca (Becca) was diagnosed with FeLV on Friday. A brief 
history: I adopted Becca, along with another kitty Katherine, from PetSmart 
when they were a few months old. They had both been tested FeLV negative. But I 
did notice that a week after I brought them home Becca developed large lymph 
nodes around her neck that disappeared in a few weeks. I thought nothing of it 
and thought maybe she was fighting something off. They both came home with 
ringworm so the vet and I assumed Becca was just reacting to it pretty badly. 
 
Almost a year later I adopted two kittens (Kiera and Casanova) from my 
neighbor, both FeLV negative. Shortly after I brought them home and around the 
time they both got spayed/neutered at the SPCA one of them (Kiera) developed 
the same swollen lymph nodes. Well, a few months ago Kiera was diagnosed with 
FeLV and was in the end stages. She was only 11 months old. I had no choice but 
to put her to sleep. By the time she was diagnosed she already had several 
large tumors in her body, had stopped eating, and one of the tumors was 
blocking her intestines. There was no hope for her. It was extremely hard to 
take as she was the only furbaby I had really bonded with at that point.
 
Well the vet said to wait a few months and test my remaining kitties. We still 
have no idea how they got it, but I wonder if it happened at PetSmart or the 
SPCA?  They are all indoor cats and have never been exposed to other kitties 
outside of those two experiences. Anyway, we tested my three remaining cats and 
one was positive. She has no symptoms aside from some bad gum inflammation. 
She's fairly healthy and extremely active. The vet recommended I put her to 
sleep to protect the other cats. I initially agreed and the appt is scheduled 
for tomorrow. However, after researching and looking around it appears that 1. 
If the other cats haven't caught it by now chances are they might not. The sick 
kitty is 2 years old, the healthy kitties are 2 years old and 15 months old. 2. 
I had the healthy kitties vaccinated against FeLV on the vet's recommendation 
and think that after they get their boosters the odds might be even slimmer of 
them getting infected. For
 now I have isolated Becca to my master bedroom/bathroom. I was planning on 
releasing her in three weeks after the other two kitties get their booster 
shots. 
 
Am I making the right call? If I put Becca to sleep and the others eventually 
test positve then I will be crushed! But I don't want to continue to risk them 
either. It looks like based on my research it is rare for adult cats to get 
FeLV, and if they have already been exposed for so long (over a year) and are 
currently negative then aren't the odds good? I have to call the vet tomorrow 
to cancel the euthanasia and ask for some antibiotics instead, and I want to 
have some good reasons to give her for my change of heart, along with some good 
documentation she can research. I figure I can always use the next three weeks 
to think the decision through but if I put her down I can't take it back.  I 
don't know how much longer I'd have with her... but doing this when she is so 
healthy just doesn't sit with me. 
 
I should add, I got these four kitties to replace my last kitty, who died from 
Renal Failure. He was given a few months to live and lived for three years 
under my care. I'm not afraid of a little work if it means quality of life for 
her and more time together with minimal risk to my other angels.
 
Help??
 
Iva
___
Felvtalk mailing list
Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org