Re: Need some FM tips

2007-06-20 Thread Shmuel Wolfson
Hi David, Esc vP (uppercase p) is the shortcut for going back to the source of a cross-reference. By the way, if you don't like FM's shortcut keys, you can change them. See Customizing_Frame_Products.pdf located in: C:\Program Files\Adobe\FrameMaker7.0\OnlineManuals Regards, Shmuel Wolfson

RE: Need some FM tips

2007-06-20 Thread Steve Rickaby
At 12:46 -0400 19/6/07, John Sgammato wrote: I keep a folder in Outlook called Tips Tricks, and when something useful comes across a list like this, I just drag it in there. If the email does not have a helpful title, then I forward it to myself and rename it before saving it. Seconded. Mine is

Re: Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Steve Rickaby
At 23:56 + 19/6/07, Bodvar Bjorgvinsson wrote: I think I have seen a Bible DTD for XML, but not an EDD... Well, this would give you a flying start if you needed to work up an EDD, as FrameMaker will create an EDD from the DTD for you. Am I over my head in this? Probably not, but where

Re: Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Steve Rickaby
At 03:56 -0500 20/6/07, Peter Gold wrote: Is there any reason you can't just use two stone tablets and a chisel?G Probably because you need the Finger of God, not a mere chisel. -- Steve ___ You are currently subscribed to Framers as [EMAIL

Regarding Framescript

2007-06-20 Thread Surbhi Singhal
Hello Framers I was trying to find out some info about framescript. When i downloaded the trial version and installed it; i cannot find any way to launch it. How do we launch framescript. Does it provide an extra menu item in Framemaker or is a stand-alone program. Could anyone please provide

RE: Need some FM tips

2007-06-20 Thread David Shaked \(Wernick\)
You guys are great! I have been overwhelmed with online and offline replies. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help. David Shaked (Wernick) AlmondWeb Ltd. http://www.almondweb.com Technical Documentation * Web Development * Word and WebWorks Consultants

RE: Can't Change Paragraph Tag

2007-06-20 Thread Steve Rickaby
At 09:11 -0400 20/6/07, Parcell, Michelle wrote: Thanks, Steve and Kimber, for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the problem was that I *couldn't* remove it or change it - the tag wouldn't let me manipulate it in any way. However, Winfried Reng did provide a solution that worked and for which I

RE: Can't Change Paragraph Tag

2007-06-20 Thread Reng, Winfried Dr.
Hi Steve, I don't know when this flag gets set. In the MIF documentation it mentions text insets. Eventually there was a text inset before/after this paragraph which was deleted and the paragraph retained its flag. I had the same problem some time ago and noticed this flag in the MIF file.

RE: Can't Change Paragraph Tag

2007-06-20 Thread Steve Rickaby
At 15:43 +0200 20/6/07, Reng, Winfried Dr. wrote: I don't know when this flag gets set. In the MIF documentation it mentions text insets. Eventually there was a text inset before/after this paragraph which was deleted and the paragraph retained its flag. I had the same problem some time ago and

Need Icelandic Hyphenation (and dict)

2007-06-20 Thread Bodvar Bjorgvinsson
FrameMaker seems rather limited in offering language support. Icelandic hyphenation rules are basically: 1. Between compound words (auto-matic) 2. Before a vowel. But both rules are subjects to exceptions, but I think that all in all Icelandic hyphenation rules are rather simple. My question

OT: Pesky How To pane in Acrobat

2007-06-20 Thread Rene Stephenson
All: My apologies for an OT post, but I'm trying to mark up a PDF created in FM 7 using Acrobat 7, and every time I click the Indicate Text Edits Tool, the How To pane replaces the Search PDF pane. I have read Acrobat Help, and there's no indication of how to disable the automatic display

RE: Can't Change Paragraph Tag

2007-06-20 Thread Parcell, Michelle
Thanks, Steve and Kimber, for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the problem was that I *couldn't* remove it or change it - the tag wouldn't let me manipulate it in any way. However, Winfried Reng did provide a solution that worked and for which I am very grateful: Check in the MIF file whether

I need a Frame crash course!

2007-06-20 Thread Nina Rogers
Hi all! I learned of this list through techwr-l and have just joined because I am pretty much going to need to give myself a crash course in FM within the next couple of weeks. My tech-writing experience is in Word, but I'm thrilled that I'll be able to learn FrameMaker (finally), since it's

RE: Can't Change Paragraph Tag

2007-06-20 Thread Parcell, Michelle
I have no idea. This particular file had a clean template applied to it and we never mess with MIF files. Maybe Winfried can tell us how such things are set. -Original Message- From: Steve Rickaby [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 6:23 AM To: Parcell, Michelle;

RE: Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Daniel Doornbos
Now those comments show just how much you guys know about the Bible. The 10 Commandments are in the Old Testament. But Bodvar is working on the New Testament. The NT writers used pen and paper, incidently. Bibles, whether you are translating or formatting the pages, are especially challenging

Re: I need a Frame crash course!

2007-06-20 Thread Stuart Rogers
Nina Rogers wrote: Hi all! I learned of this list through techwr-l and have just joined because I am pretty much going to need to give myself a crash course in FM ... Are there any other good resources that I should be using? ... Nina, Have a look at the template primer (and maybe

RE: Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Steve Rickaby
At 10:32 -0700 20/6/07, Daniel Doornbos wrote: Now those comments show just how much you guys know about the Bible. The 10 Commandments are in the Old Testament. But Bodvar is working on the New Testament. Ah... so that's what 'NT' stood for. I though it was a Windoze reference ;-) The NT

Re: Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Peter Gold
If you want to see an ambitious project, browse through http://www.saintjohnsbible.org/. In the public TV documentary, I recall that it took a heck of a long time, a lot of gifted folks working a lot of hours, days, years, and a bunch of bucks to produce the original replica. Somewhere along the

Re: Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Steve Rickaby
At 12:55 -0500 20/6/07, Peter Gold wrote: If you want to see an ambitious project, browse through http://www.saintjohnsbible.org/. In the public TV documentary, I recall that it took a heck of a long time, a lot of gifted folks working a lot of hours, days, years, and a bunch of bucks to

FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread Lin Surasky
No, it's not a typo. No, we're not being asked to use Word The person in charge of quality for our company does not seem to understand why we don't use RoboHelp to create content for our software manuals. After all, every office has RoboHelp (not the Adobe version), so what's the big deal?

RE: Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Daniel Doornbos
I think you are correct, Steve. Paper in those days was made of goat and other skins. I guess papyrus from Egypt was too expensive. I wonder if any of the technical material we write today will be remembered 2K years from now... Daniel -Original Message- From: Steve Rickaby

RE: Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Charles Beck
*I* wonder if any of the technical material we write today will be remember 2 *decades* from now... ;o) Chuck Beck Sr. Technical Writer | Infor | Office: 614.523.7302 | [EMAIL PROTECTED] -Original Message- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Daniel

RE: FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread John Sgammato
I think you're right on, Lin. You know the tools you need to produce your deliverables. I don't tell my plumber what kind of wrench to use... john -Original Message- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Lin Surasky Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 2:10 PM To:

RE: FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread Lin Surasky
THANK YOU!! As I said, it's all because of cost. Everyone has RH already, but not everyone has FM, and they're afraid of the learning curve. Hello? We're documenting SOFTWARE. That means we have to be able to learn a program quickly in order to document it correctly, no? So why would we be

RE: FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread Rene Stephenson
Agreed, John. Let the expert decide the appropriate tool. However, it may be helpful to provide a quick synopsis of the strengths and weaknesses of each program, followed by audience analysis, customer expectations, and deliverable requirements, and then by drawing the inevitable conclusion.

Re: FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread Stuart Rogers
John Sgammato wrote: I think you're right on, Lin. You know the tools you need to produce your deliverables. I don't tell my plumber what kind of wrench to use... john Sounds more like a case of I don't tell my plumber which voltmeter to use... Does Mr./Ms. Quality understand why Help

RE: Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Lin Surasky
I'm sorry. We're having a tool discussion on another thread, and I'm afraid that this stone/chisel suggestion is going to end up as the top choice! (Would it be better than RoboHelp for creating documentation?) ;-) -Original Message- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL

RE: FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread Rene Stephenson
You could really stir the pot by throwing ePublisher in the mix as a single-sourcing solution. g There's an import utility available for ePublisher that can take any RH project and convert it to MIF, retaining links and mapping formats as you determine in the interface. Depending on the size

RE: Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Lin Surasky
Actually, according to an historical film I saw as a child, there were actually three tablets, but one fell off the mountain and was never replaced Now THAT's an editing job! -Original Message- From: Stuart Rogers [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 1:06 PM

RE: Does anyone have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Gillian Flato
I saw that, and was also thinking about it. I think it was a Monty Python film. Moses was walking down the mountain holding three tablets. He says, I give you the 15... and then one tablet drops and breaks. So he amends his statement and says, I give you the ten commandments. Someone should have

RE: FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread Rene Stephenson
That particular guide was only about 240 pages, which is about half the size of one of the ones I currently managed as one output of 5 produced using ePub/FM to single-source and do all 5 outputs in less time than I used to spend on 1 CHM and converting to PDF (throught the formatting purgatory

RE: Does anyone have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Gagne, Bernard \(Bolton\)
It was Mel Brooks' History of the World - Part 1 and it's a classic bit. I recently watched it with my kids and they loved it. Some things never go out of style. Berny Gagne -Original Message- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Gillian Flato Sent: Wednesday,

RE: Does anyone have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Steve Rickaby
At 13:45 -0700 20/6/07, Gillian Flato wrote: I saw that, and was also thinking about it. I think it was a Monty Python film. Moses was walking down the mountain holding three tablets. He says, I give you the 15... and then one tablet drops and breaks. So he amends his statement and says, I give

RE: Does anyone have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Dov Isaacs
It's great to be the king! -Original Message- From: Gagne, Bernard (Bolton) Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 1:56 PM It was Mel Brooks' History of the World - Part 1 and it's a classic bit. I recently watched it with my kids and they loved it. Some things never go out of style.

RE: Does anyone have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Lin Surasky
I knew you were in there, somewhere! Thanks for not disappointing me! ;-) -Original Message- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] rs.com] On Behalf Of Dov Isaacs Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 2:04 PM To: framers@lists.frameusers.com Subject: RE: Does anyone have an

Re: Does anyone have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Peter Gold
I tried to confirm the link to the trailer for this film, before posting it, but it seems that the one at IMDB/New York Times fails. It's worth hunting for other links, if you want to get the scene from Moses' mouth. BTW, you may not be aware that Moses wanted to be a doctor, because the

RE: Does anyone have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Lin Surasky
ugh ;-) I apologize to every last one of you (except you, Peter) for having started this. -Original Message- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Peter Gold Sent: Wed 6/20/2007 3:37 PM To: framers@lists.frameusers.com Subject: Re: Does anyone have an EDD for the Bible? I tried to

Re: Does anyone have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Bodvar Bjorgvinsson
I think you must all be hinting that the final EDD will be rock solid! ;-) Actually the last joke about the tablets fits in Icelandic too. I may even have heard it with God as the adviser -- which also gives a deeper meaning to the joke. -- Is it Friday already? Bodvar On 6/20/07, Lin Surasky

Re: FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread rinch
Hi Lin, Your Quality person is way off mark. Sounds to me like you know what you are talking about. By the by, in the odd case where I've been required to submit HTML files (for help systems), I've also used FM - Mif2Go with great results. But, HTML is rare for me. The majority of my

SVG in 7.2

2007-06-20 Thread Mollye Barrett
Hi Framers, We have a set XML files that started life as a Structured Frame documents with EPS graphics. Now, after converting to XML with SVG's, we need to round-trip the content back to Frame. It appears that the SVGs are rasterized when imported, some graphics scale unpredictably and there

RE: FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread Steve Cavanaugh
Just because the carpenter already owns a hammer is no reason to fail to consider a pneumatic nailer. Both may get the job done, but one is certainly superior to the other. Steve Cavanaugh Sr. Technical Writer NAT Seattle Inc. -Original Message- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL

Update all files in a Book with a Paragraph Format?

2007-06-20 Thread Amy Harvey
Is there a way to update all files in a book with a specific paragraph format? We have a Para Tag called Revision which marks the revision number in the footer of the document. When we go to a new revision, we've bee importing the paragraph format into each file in the book... thus having to

RE: Update all files in a Book with a Paragraph Format?

2007-06-20 Thread Karen L. Zorn
Are you using a variable? If so, you should easily be able update the variable in one file, then apply it to the book. Karen L. Zorn Zorn Technologies, Inc. Mesa, AZ -Original Message- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Amy Harvey Sent: Wednesday, June 20,

Re: Regarding Framescript

2007-06-20 Thread Surbhi Singhal
Hi Rick Thanx for the prompt reply. I will once again try installing it. Also, could you suggest some sites and books for having a working knowledge on Framescript. Once again, thanx for your help. Surbhi On 6/20/07, Rick Quatro [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Hi Surbhi, If you have it properly

Need some FM tips

2007-06-20 Thread rebecca officer
> b. After following a cross reference (Alt+Ctrl+Click), go back to the cross reference? If you get ToolbarPlus from www.microtype.com/resources.html it has a tool button for this. Cheers, Rebecca NOTICE: This message contains privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of

Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Bodvar Bjorgvinsson
I am about to undertake the task of preparing special issue NT plus based on a new translation (Icelandic) of the Bible that is ready to be printed. I will only be getting the files in PDF (hopefully no ligatures) as the last changes were made at the layout company, in Denmark, I think. Maybe I

Need some FM tips

2007-06-20 Thread Shmuel Wolfson
Hi David, Esc vP (uppercase p) is the shortcut for going back to the source of a cross-reference. By the way, if you don't like FM's shortcut keys, you can change them. See "Customizing_Frame_Products.pdf" located in: C:\Program Files\Adobe\FrameMaker7.0\OnlineManuals Regards, Shmuel Wolfson

Can't Change Paragraph Tag

2007-06-20 Thread Steve Rickaby
At 10:44 -0400 19/6/07, Parcell, Michelle wrote: >Hello, all. I'm having a problem removing or changing a paragraph tag. It's at >the end of a chapter and is a Heading 1 tag, which means my TOC is picking it >up as a blank H1 at the end of the chapter. Of course I can manually remove >that

Need some FM tips

2007-06-20 Thread Steve Rickaby
At 12:46 -0400 19/6/07, John Sgammato wrote: >I keep a folder in Outlook called Tips & Tricks, and when something >useful comes across a list like this, I just drag it in there. If the >email does not have a helpful title, then I forward it to myself and >rename it before saving it. Seconded.

Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Steve Rickaby
At 23:56 + 19/6/07, Bodvar Bjorgvinsson wrote: >I think I have seen a Bible DTD for XML, but not an EDD... Well, this would give you a flying start if you needed to work up an EDD, as FrameMaker will create an EDD from the DTD for you. >Am I over my head in this? Probably not, but where

Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Peter Gold
Is there any reason you can't just use two stone tablets and a chisel? Regards, Peter ___ Peter Gold KnowHow ProServices

Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Steve Rickaby
At 03:56 -0500 20/6/07, Peter Gold wrote: >Is there any reason you can't just use two stone tablets and a chisel? Probably because you need the Finger of God, not a mere chisel. -- Steve

Regarding Framescript

2007-06-20 Thread Surbhi Singhal
Hello Framers I was trying to find out some info about framescript. When i downloaded the trial version and installed it; i cannot find any way to launch it. How do we launch framescript. Does it provide an extra menu item in Framemaker or is a stand-alone program. Could anyone please provide

Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Bodvar Bjorgvinsson
On 6/20/07, Peter Gold wrote: > Is there any reason you can't just use two stone tablets and a chisel? I am afraid that more than two would be needed, and for two reasons: 1. Only the ten (or nine?) commandments fitted on the tablets; 2. I would probably break a few in the process. > KnowHow

Regarding Framescript

2007-06-20 Thread Rick Quatro
Hi Surbhi, If you have it properly installed, you will have a FrameScript menu on the FrameMaker menu bar. FrameScript writes a message to the FrameMaker Console window when you start FrameMaker which will tell you if it is installed. Rick Quatro Carmen Publishing 585-659-8267

Need some FM tips

2007-06-20 Thread David Shaked (Wernick)
You guys are great! I have been overwhelmed with online and offline replies. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help. David Shaked (Wernick) AlmondWeb Ltd. http://www.almondweb.com Technical Documentation * Web Development * Word and WebWorks Consultants

Can't Change Paragraph Tag

2007-06-20 Thread Steve Rickaby
At 09:11 -0400 20/6/07, Parcell, Michelle wrote: >Thanks, Steve and Kimber, for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the problem was >that I *couldn't* remove it or change it - the tag wouldn't let me manipulate >it in any way. However, Winfried Reng did provide a solution that worked and >for which

Can't Change Paragraph Tag

2007-06-20 Thread Reng, Winfried Dr.
Hi Steve, I don't know when this flag gets set. In the MIF documentation it mentions text insets. Eventually there was a text inset before/after this paragraph which was deleted and the paragraph retained its flag. I had the same problem some time ago and noticed this flag in the MIF file.

Can't Change Paragraph Tag

2007-06-20 Thread Steve Rickaby
At 15:43 +0200 20/6/07, Reng, Winfried Dr. wrote: >I don't know when this flag gets set. In the MIF documentation >it mentions text insets. Eventually there was a text inset >before/after this paragraph which was deleted and the paragraph >retained its flag. > >I had the same problem some time

Need Icelandic Hyphenation (and dict)

2007-06-20 Thread Bodvar Bjorgvinsson
FrameMaker seems rather limited in offering language support. Icelandic hyphenation rules are basically: 1. Between compound words (auto-matic) 2. Before a vowel. But both rules are subjects to exceptions, but I think that all in all Icelandic hyphenation rules are rather simple. My question is:

OT: Pesky How To pane in Acrobat

2007-06-20 Thread Rene Stephenson
All: My apologies for an OT post, but I'm trying to mark up a PDF created in FM 7 using Acrobat 7, and every time I click the Indicate Text Edits Tool, the How To pane replaces the Search PDF pane. I have read Acrobat Help, and there's no indication of how to disable the automatic display

Can't Change Paragraph Tag

2007-06-20 Thread Parcell, Michelle
Thanks, Steve and Kimber, for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the problem was that I *couldn't* remove it or change it - the tag wouldn't let me manipulate it in any way. However, Winfried Reng did provide a solution that worked and for which I am very grateful: Check in the MIF file whether

I need a Frame crash course!

2007-06-20 Thread Nina Rogers
Hi all! I learned of this list through techwr-l and have just joined because I am pretty much going to need to give myself a crash course in FM within the next couple of weeks. My tech-writing experience is in Word, but I'm thrilled that I'll be able to learn FrameMaker (finally), since it's

Can't Change Paragraph Tag

2007-06-20 Thread Parcell, Michelle
I have no idea. This particular file had a clean template applied to it and we never mess with MIF files. Maybe Winfried can tell us how such things are set. -Original Message- From: Steve Rickaby [mailto:srick...@wordmongers.demon.co.uk] Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 6:23 AM To:

Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Daniel Doornbos
Now those comments show just how much you guys know about the Bible. The 10 Commandments are in the Old Testament. But Bodvar is working on the New Testament. The NT writers used pen and paper, incidently. Bibles, whether you are translating or formatting the pages, are especially challenging

I need a Frame crash course!

2007-06-20 Thread Stuart Rogers
Nina Rogers wrote: > Hi all! > > > > I learned of this list through techwr-l and have just joined because I > am pretty much going to need to give myself a crash course in FM ... > > Are there any other good resources that I should be using? ... Nina, Have a look at the template primer

Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Steve Rickaby
At 10:32 -0700 20/6/07, Daniel Doornbos wrote: >Now those comments show just how much you guys know about the Bible. >The 10 Commandments are in the Old Testament. >But Bodvar is working on the New Testament. Ah... so that's what 'NT' stood for. I though it was a Windoze reference ;-) >The NT

I need a Frame crash course!

2007-06-20 Thread Steve Rickaby
At 09:16 -0400 20/6/07, Nina Rogers wrote: >...and am waiting with bated breath for Publishing Fundamentals: FrameMaker 7 >to arrive at my doorstep in hopes that it will provide the key to the FM >universe. It will. >Are there any other good resources that I should be using? I have been a

Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Daniel Doornbos
I think you are correct, Steve. Paper in those days was made of goat and other skins. I guess papyrus from Egypt was too expensive. I wonder if any of the technical material we write today will be remembered 2K years from now... Daniel -Original Message- From: Steve Rickaby

Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Charles Beck
*I* wonder if any of the technical material we write today will be remember 2 *decades* from now... ;o) Chuck Beck Sr. Technical Writer | Infor | Office: 614.523.7302 | Charles.Beck at infor.com -Original Message- From: framers-bounces+charles.beck=infor@lists.frameusers.com

FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread John Sgammato
I think you're right on, Lin. You know the tools you need to produce your deliverables. I don't tell my plumber what kind of wrench to use... john -Original Message- From: framers-bounces+jsgammato=imprivata@lists.frameusers.com [mailto:framers-bounces+jsgammato=imprivata.com at

Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Rene Stephenson
In telecommunications, the expiration date would be more on the order of 2 *years* from now, if it's still current when published. :o) Rene Stephenson Charles Beck wrote: *I* wonder if any of the technical material we write today will be remember 2 *decades* from now... ;o) Chuck Beck Sr.

FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread Lin Surasky
THANK YOU!! As I said, it's all because of cost. Everyone has RH already, but not everyone has FM, and they're afraid of the learning curve. Hello? We're documenting SOFTWARE. That means we have to be able to learn a program quickly in order to document it correctly, no? So why would we be

FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread Rene Stephenson
Agreed, John. Let the expert decide the appropriate tool. However, it may be helpful to provide a quick synopsis of the strengths and weaknesses of each program, followed by audience analysis, customer expectations, and deliverable requirements, and then by drawing the inevitable conclusion.

Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Peter Gold
Daniel: Yes, it's pricey, or as they say here in Minnesota, "spendy!" I remembered from some English course that included some history of the novel, publishing, printing, etc., as you noted, that books at first were too costly for the unwealthy. Before mass-production printing techniques

FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread Lin Surasky
Very true. However, I didn't mention that there are 4 writers on the team who ARE using RH to create content, and not only aren't complaining, but one of them will fight as hard to keep RH as I will to keep FM. We're in different countries, with an international audience, so it's divided as to

FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread Rene Stephenson
You could really stir the pot by throwing ePublisher in the mix as a single-sourcing solution.There's an import utility available for ePublisher that can take any RH project and convert it to MIF, retaining links and mapping formats as you determine in the interface. Depending on the size

Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Bill Briggs
At 3:56 AM -0500 6/20/07, Peter Gold wrote: >Is there any reason you can't just use two stone tablets and a chisel? That's only good for documents of about, hmmm, say 10 lines or so. - web

FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread Stuart Rogers
John Sgammato wrote: > I think you're right on, Lin. > You know the tools you need to produce your deliverables. > I don't tell my plumber what kind of wrench to use... > > john Sounds more like a case of "I don't tell my plumber which voltmeter to use..." Does Mr./Ms. Quality understand

FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread Gagne, Bernard (Bolton)
In all of this, one thought occurred to me and it regards the upcoming release of Frame 8 later this year. Since RoboHelp is now an Adobe product, what are the odds Adobe will drop WebWorks and adopt RH as the chosen output method for CHM with FrameMaker? It would seem an ideal solution, with

FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread Lin Surasky
No, I had the same thought. Just didn't know who to ask, as I'm sure no one will divulge such valuable information before its time. See, the thing we all keep forgetting (except the one to whom I'm answering) is that they want to keep RH because it's already paid for. So purchasing new licenses

Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Lin Surasky
I'm sorry. We're having a tool discussion on another thread, and I'm afraid that this stone/chisel suggestion is going to end up as the top choice! (Would it be better than RoboHelp for creating documentation?) ;-) > -Original Message- > From: > framers-bounces+lin.surasky=retalix.com

Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Rene Stephenson
It would fall in line with RH for FM: DEAD. Rene Lin Surasky wrote: I'm sorry. We're having a tool discussion on another thread, and I'm afraid that this stone/chisel suggestion is going to end up as the top choice! (Would it be better than RoboHelp for creating documentation?) ;-) >

FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread Martinek, Carla
Lin - When you make your argument, specify your deliverables. That includes printable PDFs, with TOC, Indexes, and an attractive, readable format that pleases the customer and shows off the company to its best advantage. If RH cannot produce the required deliverables, then it is not the right

FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread Rene Stephenson
The last time I had to use RH to create printable output, there was a substantial amount of clean-up work involved each time between creating the Word version with all the print-friendly stuff like continuation statements on pages, etc., and then output to PDF and all the security stuff. For a

Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Stuart Rogers
Lin Surasky wrote: > > I'm sorry. We're having a tool discussion on another thread, and I'm > afraid that this stone/chisel suggestion is going to end up as the top > choice! > > (Would it be better than RoboHelp for creating documentation?) > ;-) I think this early PDF (Portable Decree

FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread Lin Surasky
See, these are the kinds of numbers I needed. I know there's a time difference between the two, but how much is the question. Thanks for helping with that. I never would have guessed 3-5 days! For how big a guide? 60 pages? 200 pages? (Once it's PDFed, of course.) > -Original Message- >

Does anyones have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Lin Surasky
Actually, according to an historical film I saw as a child, there were actually three tablets, but one fell off the mountain and was never replaced Now THAT's an editing job! > -Original Message- > From: Stuart Rogers [mailto:srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com] > Sent: Wednesday,

Does anyone have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Gillian Flato
I saw that, and was also thinking about it. I think it was a Monty Python film. Moses was walking down the mountain holding three tablets. He says, "I give you the 15..." and then one tablet drops and breaks. So he amends his statement and says, "I give you the ten commandments." Someone should

FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread Rene Stephenson
That particular guide was only about 240 pages, which is about half the size of one of the ones I currently managed as one output of 5 produced using ePub/FM to single-source and do all 5 outputs in less time than I used to spend on 1 CHM and converting to PDF (throught the formatting purgatory

Does anyone have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Gagne, Bernard (Bolton)
It was Mel Brooks' "History of the World - Part 1" and it's a classic bit. I recently watched it with my kids and they loved it. Some things never go out of style. Berny Gagne -Original Message- From: framers-bounces+bgagne=husky...@lists.frameusers.com

Does anyone have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Steve Rickaby
At 13:45 -0700 20/6/07, Gillian Flato wrote: >I saw that, and was also thinking about it. I think it was a Monty >Python film. Moses was walking down the mountain holding three tablets. >He says, "I give you the 15..." and then one tablet drops and breaks. So >he amends his statement and says, "I

Does anyone have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Dov Isaacs
It's great to be the king! > -Original Message- > From: Gagne, Bernard (Bolton) > Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 1:56 PM > > It was Mel Brooks' "History of the World - Part 1" and it's a classic > bit. > I recently watched it with my kids and they loved it. > Some things never go out of

Does anyone have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Lin Surasky
I knew you were in there, somewhere! Thanks for not disappointing me! ;-) > -Original Message- > From: > framers-bounces+lin.surasky=retalix.com at lists.frameusers.com > [mailto:framers-bounces+lin.surasky=retalix.com at lists.frameuse rs.com] On Behalf Of Dov Isaacs > Sent:

Does anyone have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Peter Gold
I tried to confirm the link to the trailer for this film, before posting it, but it seems that the one at IMDB/New York Times fails. It's worth hunting for other links, if you want to get the scene from "Moses' " mouth. BTW, you may not be aware that Moses wanted to be a doctor, because the

Does anyone have an EDD for the Bible?

2007-06-20 Thread Lin Surasky
ugh ;-) I apologize to every last one of you (except you, Peter) for having started this. -Original Message- From: framers-bounces+lin.surasky=retalix@lists.frameusers.com on behalf of Peter Gold Sent: Wed 6/20/2007 3:37 PM To: framers at lists.frameusers.com Subject: Re: Does

FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread ri...@inficon.com
Hi Lin, Your "Quality" person is way off mark. Sounds to me like you know what you are talking about. By the by, in the odd case where I've been required to submit HTML files (for help systems), I've also used FM -> Mif2Go with great results. But, HTML is rare for me. The majority of my

SVG in 7.2

2007-06-20 Thread Mollye Barrett
Hi Framers, We have a set XML files that started life as a Structured Frame documents with EPS graphics. Now, after converting to XML with SVG's, we need to round-trip the content back to Frame. It appears that the SVGs are rasterized when imported, some graphics scale unpredictably and there

FM v. RoboHelp

2007-06-20 Thread Steve Cavanaugh
Just because the carpenter already owns a hammer is no reason to fail to consider a pneumatic nailer. Both may get the job done, but one is certainly superior to the other. Steve Cavanaugh Sr. Technical Writer NAT Seattle Inc. -Original Message- From:

Update all files in a Book with a Paragraph Format?

2007-06-20 Thread Amy Harvey
Is there a way to update all files in a book with a specific paragraph format? We have a Para Tag called "Revision" which marks the revision number in the footer of the document. When we go to a new revision, we've bee importing the paragraph format into each file in the book... thus having

  1   2   >