Re: To MFC or not to MFC, that is the question.

2000-04-24 Thread Matthew Dillon
: :Really, then you have a short memory. Why don't we ask Jordan for a :clarification. : :How about if you let me review the patches in question and I'll render :a decision. : :If you, Matt, could put the SMP and linux stuff into -current first :and then give me a day or so to check it

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Matthew Dillon
:I'm sure that something can be done for the kld compatibility issues :so that you can have your SMP cake and eat it too. Just give it a bit :more thought. :) : :- Jordan Thought I have. Time I don't. While I don't particularly see a problem staying compatible with KLD modules that do

Joystick has stopped working

2000-04-24 Thread Stephen Hocking
For sometime now, the analogue joy stick driver hasn't been working - it seems to persistently return totally wild deviations when being read. Also, trying to use it as a kld doersn't seem to work. Has anyone else had similar probs? Stephen -- The views expressed above are not

Re: csh/nls problem causing make release failure

2000-04-24 Thread Andrey A. Chernov
On Sun, Apr 23, 2000 at 11:20:46PM -0400, John W. DeBoskey wrote: As Poul-Henning has pointed out, make release is broken... No, he pointed to different problem, 'make distribute' Could the appropriate folks please take a look at this? I'll be more than happy to test any patchs. Try

asm_pci.h,v Holy cow!

2000-04-24 Thread Julian Elischer
My cvsup appeared to be frozen, so I stopped it and looked.. src/sys/dev/isp/asm_pci.c,v is 13MB long! it was just taking a long time.. this seems a little excessive. anyone got any ideas. (13MB on a 40Kbit link is a long time) to make matters worse cvsup appears to be redownloading some

Re: Linux emulation scripting fix to be committed to 5.x and 4.xwednesday

2000-04-24 Thread Martin Blapp
Hi Matt, I really like to see your fix committed to STABLE. It fixes also the bad designed Staroffice 5.2 installation for some part (/usr/sbin/test). Thank you for your work ! Martin Martin Blapp, [EMAIL PROTECTED] Improware AG, UNIX solution

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Richard Wackerbarth
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Matthew Dillon wrote: : However, I consider your SMP changes VERY destablizing; they BREAK : lots of modules :-( Huh? No they don't. They simply require recompiling the modules. If they actually broke the modules I wouldn't be trying to MFC it to -stable.

Re: __func__ not declared for kernel build (5.0-CURRENT)

2000-04-24 Thread attila!
but, in all this, the bottom line is that compilers, until recently, barfed on __func__. to compile the kernel, I substituted the function name in the printf statement... no big deal, but not what was intended, which I presume was to guarantee the correct function name, even

Re: Linux emulation scripting fix to be committed to 5.x and 4.xwednesday

2000-04-24 Thread Doug Rabson
On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Matthew Dillon wrote: There's another good reason to MFC the linux patch on wednesday... that is, to do it at the same time the SMP cleanup is MFC'd, and that is because both patch sets require the linux kernel module to be recompiled and I'd rather not

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Doug Rabson
On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Matthew Dillon wrote: :I'm sure that something can be done for the kld compatibility issues :so that you can have your SMP cake and eat it too. Just give it a bit :more thought. :) : :- Jordan Thought I have. Time I don't. While I don't particularly see a

Re: asm_pci.h,v Holy cow!

2000-04-24 Thread Bruce Evans
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Julian Elischer wrote: My cvsup appeared to be frozen, so I stopped it and looked.. src/sys/dev/isp/asm_pci.c,v is 13MB long! it was just taking a long time.. this seems a little excessive. I was annoyed by this a few months ago when the file was only 10MB.

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Jeroen C. van Gelderen
Richard Wackerbarth wrote: On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Matthew Dillon wrote: : However, I consider your SMP changes VERY destablizing; they BREAK : lots of modules :-( Huh? No they don't. They simply require recompiling the modules. If they actually broke the modules I wouldn't

Buildworld not working

2000-04-24 Thread Robert Small
I've been trying to do a buildworld since Friday, after doing a cvsup, and no matter how many times I try, I keep getting: === librsausa cp /usr/src/secure/lib/librsausa/../libcrypto/opensslconf-i386.h openssl/opensslconf.h mkdir: openssl: File exists *** Error code 1 1 error *** Error code 2 1

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Richard Wackerbarth
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Jeroen C. van Gelderen wrote: I don't think it was ever recommended that you upgrade your kernel without upgrading and rebuilding the modules (better still, world) at the same time. So this wouldn't really have an adverse effect, would it? Such a policy is totally

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Kenneth Wayne Culver
Richard Wackerbarth wrote: On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Matthew Dillon wrote: : However, I consider your SMP changes VERY destablizing; they BREAK : lots of modules :-( Huh? No they don't. They simply require recompiling the modules. If they actually broke the modules I

Re: Buildworld not working

2000-04-24 Thread Hasan Diwan
Robert: as root: # rm -rf /usr/include/openssl /usr/obj * Robert Small ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [000424 10:08]: I've been trying to do a buildworld since Friday, after doing a cvsup, and no matter how many times I try, I keep getting: === librsausa cp

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Richard Wackerbarth
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote: I don't think it was ever recommended that you upgrade your kernel without upgrading and rebuilding the modules (better still, world) at the same time. So this wouldn't really have an adverse effect, would it? I believe that it depends on

Re: Joystick has stopped working

2000-04-24 Thread Jonathan Towne
On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 02:56:33PM +0800, Stephen Hocking scribbled: # For sometime now, the analogue joy stick driver hasn't been working - it seems # to persistently return totally wild deviations when being read. Also, trying # to use it as a kld doersn't seem to work. Has anyone else had

RE: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Alok Dhir
SMP is a significant area of weakness for 4.0 and begs for improvement. I for one am thrilled at the progress Matt's made in this area and am itching to incorporate the changes into my 4.0 development servers (my production servers are still at 3.4-STABLE pending 4.1). If recompiling bothers

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Daniel C. Sobral
"Brandon D. Valentine" wrote: On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Alok K. Dhir wrote: Totally off topic question that I've wondered for some time now - what does MFC stand for? According to the FAQ section located on the web @ http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/misc.html#AEN3908 Q: What does 'MFC' mean?

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Jacques A . Vidrine
On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 09:27:04AM -0500, Richard Wackerbarth wrote: On a released system, I may not have the sources to recompile the module. It might be a proprietary module that I got with the hardware, for example. How real is this? What modules are we talking about? The last time I

apsfilter doesn't work anymore under current for remote print jobs

2000-04-24 Thread Andreas Klemm
Somehting must have changed with permissions in the last weeks. The owner of a print sessions control file are different when printing over network compared to a local print job. The lineprinter input filter doesn't have permissions to grep through the control file during runtime. Precise

Re: Linux emulation scripting fix to be committed to 5.x and 4.x wednesdayy

2000-04-24 Thread Frank Mayhar
Martin Blapp wrote: I really like to see your fix committed to STABLE. It fixes also the bad designed Staroffice 5.2 installation for some part (/usr/sbin/test). ...as well as the WordPerfect 2000 for Linux installation. Basically, it sounds like it makes Linux emulation really complete.

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Daniel C. Sobral
Alok Dhir wrote: SMP is a significant area of weakness for 4.0 and begs for improvement. I for one am thrilled at the progress Matt's made in this area and am itching to incorporate the changes into my 4.0 development servers (my production servers are still at 3.4-STABLE pending 4.1).

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Kenneth Wayne Culver
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote: I don't think it was ever recommended that you upgrade your kernel without upgrading and rebuilding the modules (better still, world) at the same time. So this wouldn't really have an adverse effect, would it? I believe that it

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Steve Passe
Hi, So you guys (core) choose -- do you want 4.x to reap the benefits of further SMP development or not? If you choose no, beware that without this base cleanup there is *NO* chance whatsoever of any further SMP work being MFC'd to 4.x. None. Zilch. It will have diverged too

Re: asm_pci.h,v Holy cow!

2000-04-24 Thread Matthew Jacob
Yes, this needs to be fixed. I have an open bug about this with respect to making the f/w a loadable module as well. I'll probably split it into several pieces so that each f/w update is smaller. I could probably make it binary and compress is (each f/w module is an array of 16 bit shorts), but

Re: asm_pci.h,v Holy cow!

2000-04-24 Thread Garrett Wollman
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 21:30:01 +1000 (EST), Bruce Evans [EMAIL PROTECTED] said: This seems to be inherent in the file format. Binary data is expanded by a factor of 4 due to encoding it as a C array. Even tiny changes in the data ripple through the array and give huge diffs. Uuencoding the

Re: asm_pci.h,v Holy cow!

2000-04-24 Thread Julian Elischer
Garrett Wollman wrote: On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 21:30:01 +1000 (EST), Bruce Evans [EMAIL PROTECTED] said: This seems to be inherent in the file format. Binary data is expanded by a factor of 4 due to encoding it as a C array. Even tiny changes in the data ripple through the array and give

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Frank Mayhar
Richard Wackerbarth wrote: On a released system, I may not have the sources to recompile the module. It might be a proprietary module that I got with the hardware, for example. That is why STABLE INTERFACES are so IMPORTANT to USERS. "Current" is a sandbox. Lower expectations are part of

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Rodney W. Grimes
On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 09:27:04AM -0500, Richard Wackerbarth wrote: On a released system, I may not have the sources to recompile the module. It might be a proprietary module that I got with the hardware, for example. How real is this? What modules are we talking about? The last time

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Mike Smith
On the _other_ hand: 1. 4.0 hasn't been out long enough for there to be any significant support for it in proprietary systems. It takes more lead time than this. Unfortunately, many vendors will simply install from the 4.0-RELEASE CD and build their modules there. 3. Any proprietary

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Matthew Dillon
:On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 09:27:04AM -0500, Richard Wackerbarth wrote: : On a released system, I may not have the sources to recompile the module. : It might be a proprietary module that I got with the hardware, for example. : :How real is this? What modules are we talking about? The last time

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Matthew Dillon
:Because if we do not provide a STABLE ABI, we WON'T get third-party :(binary only) kernel modules. : :I'm very divided in this issue. 4.x has just started, and would be :seriously impaired if no further improvements to it's SMP get in. On :the other hand, if we can't garantee third party

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Matthew Dillon
:As the original author of the cil/cml code I can say I was glad to see that :Matt :had finally put it to rest. It was a desperate hack made in an attempt to pinch :a little more performance out of the paradigm without dealing with the whole :spl() problem set. I would have done it myself if

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Richard Wackerbarth
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Frank Mayhar wrote: 1. 4.0 hasn't been out long enough for there to be any significant support for it in proprietary systems. It takes more lead time than this. So make the change and release it as FreeBSD5. Save the big changes for something called FreeBSd6 or

Re: asm_pci.h,v Holy cow!

2000-04-24 Thread Garrett Wollman
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:07:08 -0700 (PDT), Matthew Jacob [EMAIL PROTECTED] said: This is probably an okay idea, except how would you include such files? I'm not sure I follow your naming scheme in /usr/firmware- what's wrong with /usr/src/sys/dev/firmware/{isp, esh, ...}? The fact that said

Re: asm_pci.h,v Holy cow!

2000-04-24 Thread Matthew Jacob
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:07:08 -0700 (PDT), Matthew Jacob [EMAIL PROTECTED] said: This is probably an okay idea, except how would you include such files? I'm not sure I follow your naming scheme in /usr/firmware- what's wrong with /usr/src/sys/dev/firmware/{isp, esh, ...}? The fact that

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Matthew Dillon
After further review I don't think there are any compatibility problems with the spl*() mechanisms. But I must still caution that due to the extensive nature of the cleanup, despite being mostly internal to the kernel, there could very well be other things that we have

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Alfred Perlstein
* Matthew Dillon [EMAIL PROTECTED] [000424 11:15] wrote: After further review I don't think there are any compatibility problems with the spl*() mechanisms. But I must still caution that due to the extensive nature of the cleanup, despite being mostly internal to the

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Richard Wackerbarth
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote: I think as a whole we need to evaluate the use of macros, they're one of the major problems with changes like this and several people have come forward over time with strong numbers showing that the code bloat causes that comes with overuse of

Re: Buildworld not working

2000-04-24 Thread David O'Brien
On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 08:40:52AM -0500, Robert Small wrote: I've been trying to do a buildworld since Friday, after doing a cvsup, and no matter how many times I try, I keep getting: Please try: cd /usr/src make cleandir make cleandir and try again. Let me know the outcome --

Re: asm_pci.h,v Holy cow!

2000-04-24 Thread Richard Wackerbarth
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Julian Elischer wrote: This seems well thought out and I certainly agree that we don't need DIFFs of firmware. I wonder if we can somehow "cheat time" and get that 13MB file out of the source tree and retro-actively tag the new scheme so that we don't have to carry it

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Bill Fumerola
On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 04:46:43AM -0500, Richard Wackerbarth wrote: From the USER's perspective, anything that requires me to as much as reload a module/program that I have already installed "breaks" it. The fact that it is only necessary to recompile it in order to fix it only means that

Re: make buildworld failed...

2000-04-24 Thread David O'Brien
On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 01:05:24AM +0400, Sergey Osokin wrote: Hello! After CVSup i tryed to rebuild my 5.0... Are you using "-j" with your makes? Please try: cd /usr/src make cleandir make cleandir and try again. Let me know the outcome -- good or bad. *If* the outcome is "good".

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Doug Barton
Matthew Dillon wrote: So you guys (core) choose -- do you want 4.x to reap the benefits of further SMP development or not? If you choose no, beware that without this base cleanup there is *NO* chance whatsoever of any further SMP work being MFC'd to 4.x. None. Zilch. It

Re: OpenSSL asm optimizations

2000-04-24 Thread David O'Brien
On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 07:28:28PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote: patch to sys.mk which defined MACHINE_CPU ?= i386). Set MACHINE_CPU to "i586" or "i686" (both are actually identical at present) and rebuild. Please also support "k5" and "k6". -- -- David([EMAIL PROTECTED]) To

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Jordan K. Hubbard
Gee, is that perhaps because FreeBSD keeps breaking the ABI to modules so every vendor that has ever tried to use them has been bitten by the fact that they have to maintain N version for each branch of FreeBSD??? Can you list some specific examples? I'm not trying to be a wise-ass, I'm

Re: asm_pci.h,v Holy cow!

2000-04-24 Thread Wilko Bulte
On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 01:43:44PM -0500, Richard Wackerbarth wrote: On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Julian Elischer wrote: This seems well thought out and I certainly agree that we don't need DIFFs of firmware. I wonder if we can somehow "cheat time" and get that 13MB file out of the source tree

Re: OpenSSL asm optimizations

2000-04-24 Thread Kris Kennaway
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, David O'Brien wrote: On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 07:28:28PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote: patch to sys.mk which defined MACHINE_CPU ?= i386). Set MACHINE_CPU to "i586" or "i686" (both are actually identical at present) and rebuild. Please also support "k5" and "k6".

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Richard Wackerbarth
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, you wrote: On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 04:46:43AM -0500, Richard Wackerbarth wrote: From the USER's perspective, anything that requires me to as much as reload a module/program that I have already installed "breaks" it. The fact that it is only necessary to recompile

RE: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Alok Dhir
No-one forces you to upgrade you systems. Partial upgrades are something that are nice when they work, but understood when they don't. We don't accept bug reports (typically) when a person hasn't upgraded their world, kernel, and modules. I don't understand why we're accepting

Re: asm_pci.h,v Holy cow!

2000-04-24 Thread Richard Wackerbarth
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, you wrote: Seriously, perhaps we should consider putting optional pieces of the kernel Firmware for a SCSI adapter is not optional. At least not on some of the Alpha machines that download out-of-date firmware from their SRMs so depend on the driver to load them with

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Bill Fumerola
On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 02:02:28PM -0500, Richard Wackerbarth wrote: That is also partly why you are also lacking the respect and support of a wider audience. If you act like FreeBSD is just a "developer's sandbox", that's what it will be. If you want it to be something greater than that,

RE: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Alok Dhir
One (relatively minor) example is Open Sound System... http://www.opensound.com/freebsd.html Al -Original Message- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Jordan K. Hubbard Sent: Monday, April 24, 2000 2:58 PM To: Rodney W. Grimes Cc: Jacques A . Vidrine;

Re: asm_pci.h,v Holy cow!

2000-04-24 Thread Wilko Bulte
On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 02:07:22PM -0500, Richard Wackerbarth wrote: On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, you wrote: Seriously, perhaps we should consider putting optional pieces of the kernel Firmware for a SCSI adapter is not optional. At least not on some of the Alpha machines that download

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Jordan K. Hubbard
So you guys (core) choose -- do you want 4.x to reap the benefits of further SMP development or not? I've read all the feedback on this thread and now feel that it would be worthwhile to simply bring the SMP changes in on Wednesday. As others have pointed out, we don't have enough 3rd

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Andrew Gallatin
Jordan K. Hubbard writes: So you guys (core) choose -- do you want 4.x to reap the benefits of further SMP development or not? I've read all the feedback on this thread and now feel that it would be worthwhile to simply bring the SMP changes in on Wednesday. As others

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Jordan K. Hubbard
Are there any 3rd party NIC klds yet? NTMK. - Jordan To Unsubscribe: send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message

rndcontrol with 16 interrupts

2000-04-24 Thread James FitzGibbon
Are there any plans to allow rndcontrol to accept greater than 16 interrupts on SMP machines ? On my ASUS XG-DLS board, all the interesting interrupts that I want to use to stir the entropy pool are greater than 16. Examination of sys/i386/i386/mem.c on RELENG_3, RELENG_4 and HEAD all have this

Re: asm_pci.h,v Holy cow!

2000-04-24 Thread Matthew Jacob
Matt can tell you more ;-) People don't really want to know more. They just don't want what I provide support for to impact them. I'll bet if I sum up all the other kernel mathoms like netgraph, and so on, that *I* never use, it'd be less than this f/w...:-) But this isn't the point. The

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Rodney W. Grimes
Gee, is that perhaps because FreeBSD keeps breaking the ABI to modules so every vendor that has ever tried to use them has been bitten by the fact that they have to maintain N version for each branch of FreeBSD??? Can you list some specific examples? I'm not trying to be a wise-ass,

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Rodney W. Grimes
On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 02:02:28PM -0500, Richard Wackerbarth wrote: That is also partly why you are also lacking the respect and support of a wider audience. If you act like FreeBSD is just a "developer's sandbox", that's what it will be. If you want it to be something greater than

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Richard Wackerbarth
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, you wrote: On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 02:02:28PM -0500, Richard Wackerbarth wrote: That is also partly why you are also lacking the respect and support of a wider audience. If you act like FreeBSD is just a "developer's sandbox", that's what it will be. If you want it

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Bill Fumerola
On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 02:14:50PM -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote: Developers and early adopters are the ones tracking -STABLE. Users are installing binary snapshots and releases. Some users do install snapshots and/or releases. Snap shots occur on a regular basis and are affected by

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Rodney W. Grimes
{First one bounced by hub with ``out of memory'' error... second attempt} Are there any 3rd party NIC klds yet? NTMK. It's not quite a kld, but ET Inc's modules are distributed as a .o. Also I know of work underway to support some of the fancier SDL WanNic cards that would have to be kld's

tcsh bug

2000-04-24 Thread Doug Ambrisko
Not to create another argument but tcsh does not appear to be csh :-( With -current as of the weekend. I now have tcsh as the root shell. I noticed something "strange", my history only displays the time, for example dual# history 1 13:42 2 13:42 3 13:42 4 13:42 5

current status of pcm ??

2000-04-24 Thread Kent Hauser
Hi all, I've been unable to get audio (mp3 cdplay) to work on my desktop with a SBLive card or on my laptop (TP 600E). I would *really* like to have IPSec and a working audio cd player on my laptop. I this supposed to work, or am I swimming upstream. Thanks all. Kent To Unsubscribe: send

Archive pruning

2000-04-24 Thread Chuck Robey
I want to bring up a suggestion. I just want a little bit of argument on it ... and if you're violently opposed, just say so, that's fine. I want to suggest that, once a year, we go thru the cvs archive, and prune away all history more than 3 (or maybe 2, maybe 4) years old. This could be done

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Jonathan M. Bresler
The network stack is equally easy to make MP-safe. In this case we have a shared lock to lookup sockets for host/port combinations and then fine-grained exclusive locks within those sockets. Route table and other high level operations could in fact remain BGL'd without

Re: tcsh bug

2000-04-24 Thread David O'Brien
On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 04:04:00PM -0700, Doug Ambrisko wrote: With -current as of the weekend. I now have tcsh as the root shell. I noticed something "strange", my history only displays the time, for example Known problem. Will be fixed in a few days. -- -- David([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Re: Archive pruning

2000-04-24 Thread Matthew Jacob
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Chuck Robey wrote: I want to bring up a suggestion. I just want a little bit of argument on it ... and if you're violently opposed, just say so, that's fine. I want to suggest that, once a year, we go thru the cvs archive, and prune away all history more than 3 (or

Re: Archive pruning

2000-04-24 Thread David O'Brien
On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 08:15:45PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote: I want to bring up a suggestion. I just want a little bit of argument on it ... and if you're violently opposed, just say so, that's fine. I'm "violently opposed". :-) While folks do sometimes go hunting for hugely old materials

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Matthew N. Dodd
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Bill Fumerola wrote: The entire point is that somewhere the user has decided to upgrade their system, and they need to know what the consequences are before taking the plunge. If they upgrade their system half-ass (kernel, but not modules) they are digging their own

Re: Archive pruning

2000-04-24 Thread Frank Mayhar
Chuck Robey wrote: I want to bring up a suggestion. I just want a little bit of argument on it ... and if you're violently opposed, just say so, that's fine. Okay: "so." :-) Do we really need 5 year old history? Well, unfortunately (and I speak from painful experience), yes. You never

Re: Archive pruning

2000-04-24 Thread Chuck Robey
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, David O'Brien wrote: On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 08:15:45PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote: I want to bring up a suggestion. I just want a little bit of argument on it ... and if you're violently opposed, just say so, that's fine. I'm "violently opposed". :-) While

Re: Archive pruning

2000-04-24 Thread Alfred Perlstein
* Chuck Robey [EMAIL PROTECTED] [000424 19:15] wrote: I want to bring up a suggestion. I just want a little bit of argument on it ... and if you're violently opposed, just say so, that's fine. I want to suggest that, once a year, we go thru the cvs archive, and prune away all history more

Re: tcsh bug

2000-04-24 Thread Doug Ambrisko
David O'Brien writes: | On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 04:04:00PM -0700, Doug Ambrisko wrote: | With -current as of the weekend. I now have tcsh as the root shell. | I noticed something "strange", my history only displays the time, for example | | Known problem. Will be fixed in a few days.

Re: current status of pcm ??

2000-04-24 Thread Kelly Yancey
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Kent Hauser wrote: Hi all, I've been unable to get audio (mp3 cdplay) to work on my desktop with a SBLive card or on my laptop (TP 600E). I would *really* like to have IPSec and a working audio cd player on my laptop. I this supposed to work, or am I swimming

Re: Archive pruning

2000-04-24 Thread Richard Wackerbarth
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Chuck Robey wrote: I want to bring up a suggestion. I just want a little bit of argument on it ... and if you're violently opposed, just say so, that's fine. I want to suggest that, once a year, we go thru the cvs archive, and prune away all history more than 3 (or

Re: Archive pruning

2000-04-24 Thread Richard Wackerbarth
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, you wrote: On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 08:15:45PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote: I want to bring up a suggestion. I just want a little bit of argument on it ... and if you're violently opposed, just say so, that's fine. I'm "violently opposed". :-) While folks do sometimes

Re: Archive pruning

2000-04-24 Thread Garrett Wollman
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 22:06:42 -0400 (EDT), Chuck Robey [EMAIL PROTECTED] said: OK. Thanks, I wanted some opinions, and I guess I have enough to satisfy me. I'd like to add that it can be particularly important when legal questions arise. Should some submarine patent cover parts of FreeBSD's

Re: Archive pruning

2000-04-24 Thread Matthew N. Dodd
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Chuck Robey wrote: Do we really need 5 year old history? Yes. -- | Matthew N. Dodd | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD | | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | 2 x '84 Volvo 245DL| ix86,sparc,pmax | | http://www.jurai.net/~winter | This Space For Rent |

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Brandon D. Valentine
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote: I believe that it depends on what changes were made since the last recompile, although it is good practice to at least recompile the modules when the kernel is recompiled. In my opinion the best way to handle things like this is to add a modules

Re: Archive pruning

2000-04-24 Thread Bill Fumerola
On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 08:59:46PM -0500, Richard Wackerbarth wrote: Do we really need 5 year old history? a) yes, we need the history. b) do we need it "online everywhere"? I think the answer is "no". However the sandbox engineers think differently. c) I've brought this up more than once.

Re: Archive pruning

2000-04-24 Thread Richard Wackerbarth
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, you wrote: I'd like to add that it can be particularly important when legal questions arise. You confuse the argument for SOME complete repositories with the necessity that ALL (or at each most) repositories be so extensive. To Unsubscribe: send mail to [EMAIL

Re: Archive pruning

2000-04-24 Thread Nate Williams
I want to bring up a suggestion. I just want a little bit of argument on it ... and if you're violently opposed, just say so, that's fine. I want to suggest that, once a year, we go thru the cvs archive, and prune away all history more than 3 (or maybe 2, maybe 4) years old. I'm violently

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Brandon D. Valentine
On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Daniel C. Sobral wrote: Because if we do not provide a STABLE ABI, we WON'T get third-party (binary only) kernel modules. I'm very divided in this issue. 4.x has just started, and would be seriously impaired if no further improvements to it's SMP get in. On the other hand,

Re: Archive pruning

2000-04-24 Thread Bakul Shah
Do we really need 5 year old history? That really depends on your point of view. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -- Santayana "The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history." -- Hegel I am with Hegel

Re: Archive pruning

2000-04-24 Thread Chuck Robey
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Bakul Shah wrote: Do we really need 5 year old history? That really depends on your point of view. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -- Santayana "The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from

Re: Archive pruning

2000-04-24 Thread Garrett Wollman
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 22:09:14 -0500, Richard Wackerbarth [EMAIL PROTECTED] said: You confuse the argument for SOME complete repositories with the necessity that ALL (or at each most) repositories be so extensive. You're welcome to remove whatever history you like from your personal copy. It's

apm halts my system during start up.

2000-04-24 Thread Andrew Atrens
The message says it all - my system does the equivalent of a 'halt -p' upon launching `apm' during boot up - ... acd0: CD-RW HP CD-Writer+ 7200 at ata0-master using PIO3 acd1: CDROM FX4820T at ata0-slave using UDMA33 Waiting 2 seconds for SCSI devices to settle pass0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 6 lun

Re: kernel build broken...

2000-04-24 Thread Trevor Johnson
during the mkdep, I get: ../../kern/kern_linker.c:49: linker_if.h: No such file or directory ../../kern/link_aout.c:45: linker_if.h: No such file or directory ../../kern/link_elf.c:55: linker_if.h: No such file or directory mkdep: compile failed *** Error code 1 Stop in

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Bruce Evans
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Rodney W. Grimes wrote: On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 09:27:04AM -0500, Richard Wackerbarth wrote: Are all modules effected, or only those that use certain interfaces? Given that this is a change in splxxx() I suspect that it breaks most modules, but probably not all

Re: Archive pruning

2000-04-24 Thread Jon Hamilton
In message [EMAIL PROTECTED], Richard Wackerbarth wrote } Do we really need 5 year old history? } } Yes. } I don't disagree that we need to maintain the history. } } I do, however, question the policy that REQUIRES EVERYONE to maintain that } much history. I've been following this thread

buildworld broken

2000-04-24 Thread Alexander Matey
Hello, Cvsupped 2 hours ago: ... === sys/modules/syscons/fire @ - /usr/src/sys machine - /usr/src/sys/i386/include rm -f .depend mkdep -f .depend -a -nostdinc -I/usr/src/sys/modules/syscons/fire/.. -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -I- -I/usr/src/sys/modules/syscons/fire/.. -I. -I@ -I@/../include

Re: Remote serial gdb is broken in -CURRENT.

2000-04-24 Thread Greg Lehey
On Sunday, 23 April 2000 at 10:07:38 +0100, Doug Rabson wrote: On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Greg Lehey wrote: In the last few days, my remote serial gdb has almost completely stopped working. Previously I had (almost) no trouble at 38400 bps; now I can barely get a response at all at 9600 bps.

Re: Archive pruning

2000-04-24 Thread Matthew N. Dodd
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Nate Williams wrote: I'm violently opposed to removing it completely. The only thing I wouldn't be violently opposed to would be removing 'Attic' files (truly unused file), and having them stored away somewhere in the tree for archival purposes. You realize that its

Re: buildworld broken

2000-04-24 Thread Boris Popov
On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Alexander Matey wrote: Cvsupped 2 hours ago: ... === sys/modules/syscons/fire @ - /usr/src/sys machine - /usr/src/sys/i386/include rm -f .depend mkdep -f .depend -a -nostdinc -I/usr/src/sys/modules/syscons/fire/.. -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -I-

Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

2000-04-24 Thread Boris Popov
On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Bruce Evans wrote: Given that this is a change in splxxx() I suspect that it breaks most modules, but probably not all modules. A quick grep -l spl * | wc Given that this is a change in the splxxx() implementation, it breaks zero modules. splxxx() was changed

  1   2   >