Is it Better to Wait until the 6.3 Upgrade to build bind?

2008-07-25 Thread Martin McCormick
Several 6.2 systems are about to be upgraded to
FreeBSD6.3. They run bind which also must be upgraded to the new
patched version.

Should I wait to build the new bind port until after the
systems are upgraded or does it matter?

Thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK 
Systems Engineer
OSU Information Technology Department Network Operations Group
___
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Is it Better to Wait until the 6.3 Upgrade to build bind?

2008-07-25 Thread Chuck Swiger

On Jul 25, 2008, at 11:32 AM, Martin McCormick wrote:

Several 6.2 systems are about to be upgraded to
FreeBSD6.3. They run bind which also must be upgraded to the new
patched version.

Should I wait to build the new bind port until after the
systems are upgraded or does it matter?


Either way, you should not wait to update bind.  :-)

If you upgrade to 6.3-STABLE, you should be updating to a 9.3 version  
of which includes the patch, but it's reasonable to install a later  
version from ports if you so prefer.  If you compile this under 6.2,  
it would run fine if you later upgrade to 6.3...


--
-Chuck

___
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Is it Better to Wait until the 6.3 Upgrade to build bind?

2008-07-25 Thread Martin McCormick
Chuck Swiger writes:
 Either way, you should not wait to update bind.  :-)

It's like 72 hours away.:-)

On Monday, I will actually do the cvs-based upgrades for
all the systems in question and will also upgrade bind so that
when they are rebooted, bind only has to go down for one time.
If I needed to wait until 6.3 is built, then each system would get
rebooted and then bind would have to be stopped once more to
install the new bind. We are running bind9.3xso we need the
upgrade quickly and I just wanted to do it all with as little
disruption as possible.

It sounds like I can build the new bind first and then
do all the cvs upgrades so all that is needed in the wee hours
of the morning is a reboot.

Many thanks.

Martin McCormick
___
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]