Re: [Freeipmi-users] iDRAC7 IPMI error

2018-05-03 Thread akrus
After playing a bit found the problem.
I've created the user via ipmitool with User privilege. It looked OK
from iDRAC, but something went wrong. So I switched User->Administrator 
privilege and back and everything is working well now. Not sure why
ipmitool user creation caused this, but it looks like a bug in iDRAC
firmware (?).
Thanks for your help, I'll try to reproduce this with another server
and submit a report to Dell.
On Wed, 2018-05-02 at 16:06 +, Chu, Al wrote:
> I realize I said something stupid in the last post.  I was confusing
> "SDR" with "SEL" in my head.  I assume this log came specifically
> from ipmi-sel?
> 
> 
> 
> So I'm assuming when you say ipmitool works, its working with
> ipmitool sel commands?
> 
> 
> 
> Al
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> From: Freeipmi-users <freeipmi-users-bounces+chu11=llnl@gnu.org>
> on behalf of Chu, Al <ch...@llnl.gov>
> 
> Sent: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:54:42 AM
> 
> To: akrus; freeipmi-users@gnu.org
> 
> Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] iDRAC7 IPMI error
>  
> 
> 
> Hi,
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> I'm assuming this log is from ipmi-sensors, ipmi-sel, or ipmi-fru? 
> For some reason, the remote system isn't recognizing/responding to
> the "reserve SEL" request.  Lets try to get some debug info.
> 
> 
> 
> 1) When you use ipmitool, are you using "-I lan" or "-I lanplus"?
> 
> 
> 
> I'm wondering if this is a ipmi 1.5 vs ipmi 2.0 issue, b/c you're
> using ipmi 2.0 w/ FreeIPMI in this log.
> 
> 
> 
> 2) Have you tried using "-D lan" with FreeIPMI?
> 
> 
> 
> To see if this is a ipmi 1.5 vs ipmi 2.0 issue with FreeIPMI.
> 
> 
> 
> 3) Have you tried using bmc-info across the network?
> 
> 
> 
> To see if this is specific to the "Reserve SEL" command vs something
> IPMI 1.5 vs IPMI 2.0 related.  Perhaps you can try w/ -D lan and -D
> lan20 to see if it works with both IPMI 1.5 and IPMI 2.0.
> 
> 
> 
> 4) Could you try "ipmi-sel --info" across the network.  This command
> does not reserve the SEL, it's yet another data point.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> 
> 
> Al
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> From: akrus <ak...@flygroup.st>
> 
> Sent: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 12:15:51 AM
> 
> To: Chu, Al; freeipmi-users@gnu.org
> 
> Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] iDRAC7 IPMI error
> 
> 
> 
> Hi,
> 
> 
> 
> Yes, I tried all the workaround options and it didn't help. Attaching
> 
> debug output here.
> 
> 
> 
> PS> ipmitool works well for remote connections, freeipmi works well
> 
> only with local IPMI device
> 
> 
> 
> On Mon, 2018-04-30 at 10:32 -0700, Albert Chu wrote:
> 
> > Hi Akrus,
> 
> >
> 
> > I assume you have tried some of the workaround options, and none of
> 
> > them work?
> 
> >
> 
> > Could you post the --debug output from one of your connection
> 
> > attempts.
> 
> >  Perhaps the iDRAC7 has changed some internal implementation that
> 
> > doesn't jive with FreeIPMI.
> 
> >
> 
> > Al
> 
> >
> 
> > On Mon, 2018-04-30 at 17:05 +0300, akrus wrote:
> 
> > > Hello!
> 
> > >
> 
> > > I have Dell R620 server here with iDRAC7 (latest firmware) and
> 
> > > FreeIPMI
> 
> > > (tested 1.4.11 and 1.6.2), it always fails with internal IPMI
> error
> 
> > > using LAN_2_0.
> 
> > >
> 
> > > I can see that the server is responding over the network, but for
> 
> > > some
> 
> > > reason freeipmi fails.
> 
> > >
> 
> > > Did anyone experience same problem?
> 
> > >
> 
> > > Regards,
> 
> > > akrus.
> 
> > >
> 
> > > ___
> 
> > > Freeipmi-users mailing list
> 
> > > Freeipmi-users@gnu.org
> 
> > > https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/freeipmi-users
> 
> ___
> 
> Freeipmi-users mailing list
> 
> Freeipmi-users@gnu.org
> 
> https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/freeipmi-users
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
___
Freeipmi-users mailing list
Freeipmi-users@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/freeipmi-users


Re: [Freeipmi-users] iDRAC7 IPMI error

2018-05-02 Thread akrus
Hi,
yes, it's ipmi-sel and ipmitool sel works. For the rest I'll check tomorrow and 
provide info.


From: "Chu, Al" <ch...@llnl.gov>
Sent: Wednesday, 2 May 2018 19:06
To: akrus; freeipmi-users@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] iDRAC7 IPMI error



I realize I said something stupid in the last post.  I was confusing "SDR" with 
"SEL" in my head.  I assume this log came specifically from ipmi-sel?

So I'm assuming when you say ipmitool works, its working with ipmitool sel 
commands?



Al



From: Freeipmi-users <freeipmi-users-bounces+chu11=llnl@gnu.org> on behalf 
of Chu, Al <ch...@llnl.gov>
Sent: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:54:42 AM
To: akrus; freeipmi-users@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] iDRAC7 IPMI error
 Hi,


I'm assuming this log is from ipmi-sensors, ipmi-sel, or ipmi-fru?  For some 
reason, the remote system isn't recognizing/responding to the "reserve SEL" 
request.  Lets try to get some debug info.

1) When you use ipmitool, are you using "-I lan" or "-I lanplus"?

I'm wondering if this is a ipmi 1.5 vs ipmi 2.0 issue, b/c you're using ipmi 
2.0 w/ FreeIPMI in this log.

2) Have you tried using "-D lan" with FreeIPMI?

To see if this is a ipmi 1.5 vs ipmi 2.0 issue with FreeIPMI.

3) Have you tried using bmc-info across the network?

To see if this is specific to the "Reserve SEL" command vs something IPMI 1.5 
vs IPMI 2.0 related.  Perhaps you can try w/ -D lan and -D lan20 to see if it 
works with both IPMI 1.5 and IPMI 2.0.

4) Could you try "ipmi-sel --info" across the network.  This command does not 
reserve the SEL, it's yet another data point.


Thanks,

Al




From: akrus <ak...@flygroup.st>
Sent: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 12:15:51 AM
To: Chu, Al; freeipmi-users@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] iDRAC7 IPMI error

Hi,

Yes, I tried all the workaround options and it didn't help. Attaching
debug output here.

PS> ipmitool works well for remote connections, freeipmi works well
only with local IPMI device

On Mon, 2018-04-30 at 10:32 -0700, Albert Chu wrote:
> Hi Akrus,
>
> I assume you have tried some of the workaround options, and none of
> them work?
>
> Could you post the --debug output from one of your connection
> attempts.
>  Perhaps the iDRAC7 has changed some internal implementation that

> doesn't jive with FreeIPMI.
>
> Al
>
> On Mon, 2018-04-30 at 17:05 +0300, akrus wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I have Dell R620 server here with iDRAC7 (latest firmware) and
> > FreeIPMI
> > (tested 1.4.11 and 1.6.2), it always fails with internal IPMI error
> > using LAN_2_0.
> >
> > I can see that the server is responding over the network, but for
> > some
> > reason freeipmi fails.
> >
> > Did anyone experience same problem?
> >
> > Regards,
> > akrus.
> >
> > ___
> > Freeipmi-users mailing list
> > Freeipmi-users@gnu.org
> > https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/freeipmi-users
___
Freeipmi-users mailing list
Freeipmi-users@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/freeipmi-users
___
Freeipmi-users mailing list
Freeipmi-users@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/freeipmi-users


Re: [Freeipmi-users] iDRAC7 IPMI error

2018-05-02 Thread Chu, Al
I realize I said something stupid in the last post.  I was confusing "SDR" with 
"SEL" in my head.  I assume this log came specifically from ipmi-sel?

So I'm assuming when you say ipmitool works, its working with ipmitool sel 
commands?


Al



From: Freeipmi-users <freeipmi-users-bounces+chu11=llnl@gnu.org> on behalf 
of Chu, Al <ch...@llnl.gov>
Sent: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:54:42 AM
To: akrus; freeipmi-users@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] iDRAC7 IPMI error

Hi,


I'm assuming this log is from ipmi-sensors, ipmi-sel, or ipmi-fru?  For some 
reason, the remote system isn't recognizing/responding to the "reserve SEL" 
request.  Lets try to get some debug info.

1) When you use ipmitool, are you using "-I lan" or "-I lanplus"?

I'm wondering if this is a ipmi 1.5 vs ipmi 2.0 issue, b/c you're using ipmi 
2.0 w/ FreeIPMI in this log.

2) Have you tried using "-D lan" with FreeIPMI?

To see if this is a ipmi 1.5 vs ipmi 2.0 issue with FreeIPMI.

3) Have you tried using bmc-info across the network?

To see if this is specific to the "Reserve SEL" command vs something IPMI 1.5 
vs IPMI 2.0 related.  Perhaps you can try w/ -D lan and -D lan20 to see if it 
works with both IPMI 1.5 and IPMI 2.0.

4) Could you try "ipmi-sel --info" across the network.  This command does not 
reserve the SEL, it's yet another data point.


Thanks,

Al




From: akrus <ak...@flygroup.st>
Sent: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 12:15:51 AM
To: Chu, Al; freeipmi-users@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] iDRAC7 IPMI error

Hi,

Yes, I tried all the workaround options and it didn't help. Attaching
debug output here.

PS> ipmitool works well for remote connections, freeipmi works well
only with local IPMI device

On Mon, 2018-04-30 at 10:32 -0700, Albert Chu wrote:
> Hi Akrus,
>
> I assume you have tried some of the workaround options, and none of
> them work?
>
> Could you post the --debug output from one of your connection
> attempts.
>  Perhaps the iDRAC7 has changed some internal implementation that
> doesn't jive with FreeIPMI.
>
> Al
>
> On Mon, 2018-04-30 at 17:05 +0300, akrus wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I have Dell R620 server here with iDRAC7 (latest firmware) and
> > FreeIPMI
> > (tested 1.4.11 and 1.6.2), it always fails with internal IPMI error
> > using LAN_2_0.
> >
> > I can see that the server is responding over the network, but for
> > some
> > reason freeipmi fails.
> >
> > Did anyone experience same problem?
> >
> > Regards,
> > akrus.
> >
> > ___
> > Freeipmi-users mailing list
> > Freeipmi-users@gnu.org
> > https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/freeipmi-users
___
Freeipmi-users mailing list
Freeipmi-users@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/freeipmi-users
___
Freeipmi-users mailing list
Freeipmi-users@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/freeipmi-users


Re: [Freeipmi-users] iDRAC7 IPMI error

2018-05-02 Thread akrus
Hi,

Yes, I tried all the workaround options and it didn't help. Attaching
debug output here.

PS> ipmitool works well for remote connections, freeipmi works well
only with local IPMI device

On Mon, 2018-04-30 at 10:32 -0700, Albert Chu wrote:
> Hi Akrus,
> 
> I assume you have tried some of the workaround options, and none of
> them work?
> 
> Could you post the --debug output from one of your connection
> attempts.
>  Perhaps the iDRAC7 has changed some internal implementation that
> doesn't jive with FreeIPMI.
> 
> Al
> 
> On Mon, 2018-04-30 at 17:05 +0300, akrus wrote:
> > Hello!
> > 
> > I have Dell R620 server here with iDRAC7 (latest firmware) and
> > FreeIPMI
> > (tested 1.4.11 and 1.6.2), it always fails with internal IPMI error
> > using LAN_2_0.
> > 
> > I can see that the server is responding over the network, but for
> > some
> > reason freeipmi fails.
> > 
> > Did anyone experience same problem?
> > 
> > Regards,
> > akrus.
> > 
> > ___
> > Freeipmi-users mailing list
> > Freeipmi-users@gnu.org
> > https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/freeipmi-users
___
Freeipmi-users mailing list
Freeipmi-users@gnu.org
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/freeipmi-users