Re: Lock your doors....

2011-04-26 Thread Yersinia

On 4/25/11 11:21 PM, Dan wrote:

At 4:37 PM -0700 4/25/2011, Bruce Johnson wrote:
Kind of obvious advice for most folks, but they still leave the 
electronic ones open all the time.


http://tinyurl.com/3nvokkh


ROFLMAO

People here in South Jersey still leave their doors and cars 
unlocked.  Getting them to lock down their wi-fi networks?  Yea right.


sigh...  To make it easier to service FiOS installations, Verizon has 
been installing the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) on the *OUTSIDE* of 
homes.  Pop the door's locking screw, open its hatch, and you 
immediately have free access to that home's cat5, coax, and phone ports!


- Dan.
They leave doors and cars unlocked in rural NH also. For the whole 8+ 
years I've known him, my BF (who, incidentally, was originally from 
South Jersey but had escaped from NJ about 10 years before I met him) 
has never locked the door to his house, and only occasionally his car or 
truck -- and that was only when he was visiting me in my Sewer Rat Nest 
and I taught him he had to, at least when he was visiting ME (in 
Elizabeth NJ, where I lived for 25 years until I finally escaped from NJ 
too, with his help -- yes, horrors but I can admit it in public, now 
that I don't live there anymore).


Well, my city dwelling Sewer Rat tendencies from a quarter of a decade 
in the Sewer are such that I am a habitual door locker (i.e., apartment 
and car),  the kind who actually checks to make sure I locked the 
apartment or car, whichever applied at the time, when 
over-stressed/spaced out. In fact, soon after my escape (to a small town 
in NH) I :blush: accidentally locked myself out on the upstairs 
porch this winter when it was in the teens and had to stay out there for 
over an hour until a neighbor could rescue me.  :blush:


Ah well. Now about that wi-fi security thing. I read the article Bruce 
linked to, and this was the first I had heard of innocent people being 
accused of downloading child porn because some pervert used their 
non-secured wi-fi connection to download it. I WAS familiar with the 
concept of the 32% of all people have tried to access other people's 
wi-fi networks thing, though, because, I will admit, when I originally 
got my iBook (summer 2007) which had Airport, and found that networks 
were showing up when I sat in my living room with it, I was occasionally 
an opportunist. Translation:


98% of the time I used my own Internet connection (dialup until I 
finally got DSL in the fall of 2009). However, every so often if I was 
on the iBook, I would try to join networks it detected just to see if I 
could. If they were secured (i.e., I got a prompt asking for a 
password), that was the end of my attempt on that network. If it wasn't 
secured and I got right on, yeah, I would use it for a few minutes. Not 
for child porn though. LOL I would use it to peek around on some of my 
Sims forums just amazed that I was able to do it at all (not to mention 
wowed by the high speed), and was too lazy to go back in the bedroom on 
the Quicksilver to use my legitimate Internet access.


BUT, and now comes the dicey part. After a few months, I had managed to 
remember the names of the secured networks and which ones I could get 
on. So occasionally on one of the monthly Sims contests I would 
participate on at some of the forums, I began to get on the iBook and 
borrow half an hour to maybe an hour or so to upload Sim pictures 
(challenge/contest entries) to my Photobucket account (or look at the 
other entries posted by my competitors on THEIR Photobucket accounts). 
That used to take me literally DAYS on my dialup account; I only had the 
patience to spend 3-4 hours at a time waiting for my uploads to go up or 
to see all the other Simmers' pictures, and I would need to upload (or 
look at) 25-50 Sim pictures per challenge/contest entry. So it would 
take me anywhere from 3 days to a week to upload my pics/look at others 
on my dialup connection, compared to an hour or maybe a little less if I 
borrowed a little wi-fi. So yeah, I used to do that (and no, none of 
us had any naked or otherwise inappropriate pictures of Sim children!).


Obviously, when I finally got DSL in 2009 I didn't need to do that 
anymore, and in fact, since my BF gave me a router, I was able to have 
my own little network and go online in the living room with the iBook's 
Airport legitimately. Now back then I was quite deliberate in not 
securing my network -- I had, after all, occasionally borrowed wi-fi 
from neighbors, and I honestly felt that leaving mine open would be 
returning the favor to some other neighbor who was still in the 
position I had only just gotten out of -- stuck on dialup, unable to 
afford high speed Internet.


As time went on -- a few months to almost a year -- I noticed (from my 
iBook's Airport) that networks were disappearing -- both ones I 
remembered as secured as well as the ones I used to borrow from, and 
the new ones slowly coming in, 

Re: Lock your doors....

2011-04-26 Thread Bill Connelly


On Apr 26, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Yersinia wrote:


On 4/25/11 11:21 PM, Dan wrote:

At 4:37 PM -0700 4/25/2011, Bruce Johnson wrote:
Kind of obvious advice for most folks, but they still leave the  
electronic ones open all the time.


http://tinyurl.com/3nvokkh


ROFLMAO

People here in South Jersey still leave their doors and cars  
unlocked.  Getting them to lock down their wi-fi networks?  Yea  
right.


sigh...  To make it easier to service FiOS installations, Verizon  
has been installing the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) on the  
*OUTSIDE* of homes.  Pop the door's locking screw, open its hatch,  
and you immediately have free access to that home's cat5, coax, and  
phone ports!


- Dan.


I lived in Washington DC for 15 years (79-95), and that is where I  
learned to lock my doors (not a current administration political  
statement) ... always. I still do it here back in my smallish  
hometown ... we have gang activity.


Just changed my WEP Code, (and use MAC Authentication) because here in  
the Buckle of the Bible Belt, we have the child porn issue. The  
religiosity seems to attract them, among other things. Celebrity's  
work with the Feds to catch folks, too ... although I cannot remember  
who that is at present ...


Thanks for the article ... and I love the ROFLMAO ... you used it  
b4, and I like it as much now as then ... although it does imply a  
rather personal body part ... maybe I should change my codes again to  
throw off the Feds  ...


ROFLMAO

--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for 
those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs.
The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette 
guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list


Re: Lock your doors....

2011-04-26 Thread Bruce Johnson

On Apr 26, 2011, at 10:51 AM, Len Gerstel wrote:

 
 On Apr 26, 2011, at 12:45 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:
 
 
 On Apr 26, 2011, at 8:04 AM, Bill Connelly wrote:
 
 Thanks for the article ... and I love the ROFLMAO ... you used it b4, and 
 I like it as much now as then ... although it does imply a rather personal 
 body part ... maybe I should change my codes again to throw off the Feds  
 ...
 
 ROFLMAO
 
 
 Why do you worry they'll think you're a communist?
 
 http://207.199.174.56/img/SWwPrACXNE_roflmao.JPG 8-P
 
 Thanks, Bruce. I new I could trust a non plain link from you. Not that you 
 would g*, rickroll or, god forbid, friday us.

Hey you know I'm never gonna give up, never gonna let you down 8-P

-- 
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona
College of Pharmacy
Information Technology Group

Institutions do not have opinions, merely customs


-- 
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for 
those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs.
The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette 
guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list


Re: Lock your doors....

2011-04-26 Thread James E. Therrault

On Apr 25, 2011, at 6:37 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

 Kind of obvious advice for most folks, but they still leave the electronic 
 ones open all the time.
 
 http://tinyurl.com/3nvokkh



Can you say, Wired only!???

JT



-- 
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for 
those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs.
The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette 
guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list


Re: Lock your doors....

2011-04-26 Thread Stephen Conrad
On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Bruce Johnson john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu
 wrote:

 Kind of obvious advice for most folks, but they still leave the electronic
 ones open all the time.

 http://tinyurl.com/3nvokkh


  And then we throw THIS monkey wrench into the cogworks...


http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/26/cluster_based_steganography/


-- 
Steve Conrad
Henrietta, MO 64036

The time has come for mankind to grow up and leave its cradle behind; to go
forth and claim our place in outer space.
   - Capt. Henry Gloval


(\__/)
(='.'=)
()_()
Help Bunny Take Over The World!

-- 
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for 
those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs.
The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette 
guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list


Re: Lock your doors....

2011-04-25 Thread Dan

At 4:37 PM -0700 4/25/2011, Bruce Johnson wrote:
Kind of obvious advice for most folks, but they still leave the 
electronic ones open all the time.


http://tinyurl.com/3nvokkh


ROFLMAO

People here in South Jersey still leave their doors and cars 
unlocked.  Getting them to lock down their wi-fi networks?  Yea right.


sigh...  To make it easier to service FiOS installations, Verizon has 
been installing the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) on the *OUTSIDE* 
of homes.  Pop the door's locking screw, open its hatch, and you 
immediately have free access to that home's cat5, coax, and phone 
ports!


- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.

--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for 
those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs.
The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette 
guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
To post to this group, send email to g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list