Re: [License] for jars in CVS

2004-01-02 Thread Danny Angus
I see what you are saying, but why is this an issue only with OGNL? Is it because of license incompatibilities? 'Cause there are other jars in CVS both Apache and non-Apache. Harish, It isn't only an issue with OGNL, it is a general issue which has been bubbling away for months. In

Re: [License] for jars in CVS

2004-01-02 Thread Craig R. McClanahan
Quoting Danny Angus [EMAIL PROTECTED]: I see what you are saying, but why is this an issue only with OGNL? Is it because of license incompatibilities? 'Cause there are other jars in CVS both Apache and non-Apache. Harish, It isn't only an issue with OGNL, it is a general issue

Re: [License] for jars in CVS

2004-01-02 Thread Erik Hatcher
On Jan 2, 2004, at 2:10 PM, Craig R. McClanahan wrote: You still need mechanisms to allow the developer to override the default decisions checked in to the build scripts. For nearly all of the I've checked in jars for the convenience of developers packages I've evaluated for use fail to allow

Re: [License] for jars in CVS

2003-12-26 Thread Erik Hatcher
On Dec 24, 2003, at 5:47 PM, Danny Angus wrote: In the case of most of the licences we'd be likely to consider in this context it is usually perfectly OK to distribute Jars in a distribution because that gives you the opportunity to comply with licence conditions regarding distribution of their

Re: [License] for jars in CVS

2003-12-26 Thread Phil Steitz
Harish Krishnaswamy wrote: I am with Erik on no JARs in CVS. Unless it is a legal issue, I would certainly like to distribute all JARs with the distribution. It saves a lot of hassle and keeps uncessary traffic out of the user-list. At the expense of lots of wasted bandwidth and disk space. I

[License] for jars in CVS

2003-12-24 Thread Robert Leland
Can we really store non Apache licensed jars in the CVS ? My personal preference is to store no jars in CVS For Example I noticed ognl stored in Tapestry CVS : //-- //Copyright (c) 2002, Drew Davidson and Luke Blanshard

Re: [License] for jars in CVS

2003-12-24 Thread Henri Yandell
As I just happened to notice this on Incubator [AltRMI in fact]: Is all source code distributed by the project covered by one or more of the following approved licenses: Apache, BSD, Artistic, MIT/X, MIT/W3C, MPL 1.1, or something with essentially the same terms? The below is, to my quick

Re: [License] for jars in CVS

2003-12-24 Thread Erik Hatcher
In jakarta-tapestry/lib/ext lives all of the licenses of the embedded 3rd party libraries. In that directory is a LICENSE.ognl.txt which contains the full license. I believe this is all that is needed to satisfy the license to redistribute the binary version. I can assure that you we

Re: [License] for jars in CVS

2003-12-24 Thread Harish Krishnaswamy
I am with Erik on no JARs in CVS. Unless it is a legal issue, I would certainly like to distribute all JARs with the distribution. It saves a lot of hassle and keeps uncessary traffic out of the user-list. -Harish Erik Hatcher wrote: In jakarta-tapestry/lib/ext lives all of the licenses of

RE: [License] for jars in CVS

2003-12-24 Thread Danny Angus
Erik As for the larger issue of no JARs in CVS - I disagree. I don't believe that there is room for opinion on this, the fact is it is possible for people to download jars using viewcvs without having read the licence therefore it is not acceptable. UNLESS you have *specific* dispensation

RE: [License] for jars in CVS

2003-12-24 Thread Danny Angus
I am with Erik on no JARs in CVS. Unless it is a legal issue, I would certainly like to distribute all JARs with the distribution. In the case of most of the licences we'd be likely to consider in this context it is usually perfectly OK to distribute Jars in a distribution because that

Re: [License] for jars in CVS

2003-12-24 Thread Harish Krishnaswamy
I see what you are saying, but why is this an issue only with OGNL? Is it because of license incompatibilities? 'Cause there are other jars in CVS both Apache and non-Apache. -Harish Danny Angus wrote: I am with Erik on no JARs in CVS. Unless it is a legal issue, I would certainly like to