Re: [PATCH 0/4] dropping support for older curl

2017-08-14 Thread Johannes Schindelin
Hi Paolo, On Thu, 10 Aug 2017, Paolo Ciarrocchi wrote: > Il 10 ago 2017 11:39 AM, "Johannes Schindelin" > ha scritto: > > > > Footnote *1*: It is no secret that I find our patch submission less than > inviting. Granted, *I* use it. *I* did not have problems

Re: [PATCH 0/4] dropping support for older curl

2017-08-10 Thread Jeff King
On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 07:09:02PM -0400, Jeff King wrote: > The first is "should we eventually drop support for antiquated versions > of dependencies?". And the argument in favor is the one I was making > here: besides lowering maintenance cost, it is more honest to our users > about what to

Re: [PATCH 0/4] dropping support for older curl

2017-08-10 Thread Tom G. Christensen
On 11/08/17 01:23, Jeff King wrote: On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 01:17:51AM +0200, Tom G. Christensen wrote: OK, thanks for double-checking. I'm still puzzled why your build succeeds and mine does not. I know what's going on now and it's so simple. Red Hats version of curl 7.15.5 includes a

Re: [PATCH 0/4] dropping support for older curl

2017-08-10 Thread Jeff King
On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 01:17:51AM +0200, Tom G. Christensen wrote: > > OK, thanks for double-checking. I'm still puzzled why your build > > succeeds and mine does not. > > I know what's going on now and it's so simple. > Red Hats version of curl 7.15.5 includes a number of patches including one

Re: [PATCH 0/4] dropping support for older curl

2017-08-10 Thread Tom G. Christensen
On 11/08/17 00:54, Jeff King wrote: On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 12:23:42AM +0200, Tom G. Christensen wrote: Er, sorry if I'm being dense, but how? Are you suggesting that by removing the callsite of get_curl_allowed_protocols(), the compiler might elide the now-dead code completely? I could

Re: [PATCH 0/4] dropping support for older curl

2017-08-10 Thread Jeff King
On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 03:17:06PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote: > Jeff King writes: > > > On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 11:36:41AM +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote: > > > >> Hopefully I had better luck expressing my concerns this time? > > > > I understand your argument much better

Re: [PATCH 0/4] dropping support for older curl

2017-08-10 Thread Jeff King
On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 12:23:42AM +0200, Tom G. Christensen wrote: > > > I just built a pristine 2.14.0 on CentOS 5 with curl 7.15.5. No problems > > > at > > > all neither with building nor with running the testsuite. > > > > As you can see, this does not compile for me. What's going on? > >

Re: [PATCH 0/4] dropping support for older curl

2017-08-10 Thread Tom G. Christensen
On 10/08/17 23:32, Jeff King wrote: On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 10:33:18PM +0200, Tom G. Christensen wrote: You've totally ignored the argument I made back then[1], and which I reiterated in this thread. So I'll say it one more time: the more compelling reason is not the #ifdefs, but the fact that

Re: [PATCH 0/4] dropping support for older curl

2017-08-10 Thread Junio C Hamano
Jeff King writes: > On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 11:36:41AM +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote: > >> Hopefully I had better luck expressing my concerns this time? > > I understand your argument much better now. I'm still not sure I agree. > > -Peff I do not think "there are a dozen

Re: [PATCH 0/4] dropping support for older curl

2017-08-10 Thread Jeff King
On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 11:36:41AM +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote: > Hopefully I had better luck expressing my concerns this time? I understand your argument much better now. I'm still not sure I agree. -Peff

Re: [PATCH 0/4] dropping support for older curl

2017-08-10 Thread Jeff King
On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 10:33:18PM +0200, Tom G. Christensen wrote: > > You've totally ignored the argument I made back then[1], and which I > > reiterated in this thread. So I'll say it one more time: the more > > compelling reason is not the #ifdefs, but the fact that the older > > versions are

Re: [PATCH 0/4] dropping support for older curl

2017-08-10 Thread Tom G. Christensen
On 09/08/17 23:47, Jeff King wrote: On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 11:42:12PM +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote: I mean, if we even go out of our way to support the completely outdated and obsolete .git/branches/ for what is likely a single user, it may not be the worst to keep those couple of #ifdef

Re: [PATCH 0/4] dropping support for older curl

2017-08-10 Thread Tom G. Christensen
[I am resending this since the original does not seem to have made it to the list, at least I cannot find it in any archives] On 09/08/17 23:47, Jeff King wrote: On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 11:42:12PM +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote: I mean, if we even go out of our way to support the completely

Re: [PATCH 0/4] dropping support for older curl

2017-08-10 Thread Johannes Schindelin
Hi Peff, On Wed, 9 Aug 2017, Jeff King wrote: > On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 11:42:12PM +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote: > > > > This is a resurrection of the thread from April: > > > > > > > > > https://public-inbox.org/git/20170404025438.bgxz5sfmrawqs...@sigill.intra.peff.net/ > > > > As

Re: [PATCH 0/4] dropping support for older curl

2017-08-09 Thread Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
On Wed, Aug 09 2017, Johannes Schindelin jotted: > Hi Peff, > > On Wed, 9 Aug 2017, Jeff King wrote: > >> This is a resurrection of the thread from April: >> >> >> https://public-inbox.org/git/20170404025438.bgxz5sfmrawqs...@sigill.intra.peff.net/ > > As before, I would like to point out that

Re: [PATCH 0/4] dropping support for older curl

2017-08-09 Thread Jeff King
On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 11:42:12PM +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote: > > This is a resurrection of the thread from April: > > > > > > https://public-inbox.org/git/20170404025438.bgxz5sfmrawqs...@sigill.intra.peff.net/ > > As before, I would like to point out that people running with older

Re: [PATCH 0/4] dropping support for older curl

2017-08-09 Thread Johannes Schindelin
Hi Peff, On Wed, 9 Aug 2017, Jeff King wrote: > This is a resurrection of the thread from April: > > > https://public-inbox.org/git/20170404025438.bgxz5sfmrawqs...@sigill.intra.peff.net/ As before, I would like to point out that people running with older cURL are most likely not at liberty

[PATCH 0/4] dropping support for older curl

2017-08-09 Thread Jeff King
This is a resurrection of the thread from April: https://public-inbox.org/git/20170404025438.bgxz5sfmrawqs...@sigill.intra.peff.net/ The general idea is that we should drop support for very old curl versions, which already fail to compile. I'm sympathetic to the case where people actually