Re: [PHP-DEV] exit() via exception

2019-10-11 Thread Olumide Samson
I'm thinking exit() shouldn't be catchable to maintain status quo, and it should be focused on the reason it was suggested(Unwinding stacks and cleaning up memories instead of longjmp'ing to shutdown). If there's any need to catch it's exception, that can be handled later through maybe a RFC

Re: [PHP-DEV] Warning for "confusable" types

2019-10-11 Thread Olumide Samson
On Fri, Oct 11, 2019, 6:47 PM Larry Garfield wrote: > On Fri, Oct 11, 2019, at 8:54 AM, Nikita Popov wrote: > > Hi internals, > > > > Something I've seen play out a couple of times: Newbies try to use > > something like "integer" or "resource" as a type, and then get a > confusing > > error

Re: [PHP-DEV] Re: [VOTE] Reclassifying engine warnings

2019-10-11 Thread Olumide Samson
On Fri, Oct 11, 2019, 9:29 AM Benjamin Morel wrote: > > > > As people have expressed interest in hearing about direct technical > > benefits that these kinds of changes have ... let me give you an example > > that came up yesterday. > > > > Too bad this example comes after the vote has been

Re: [PHP-DEV] [RFC] Deprecate Backtick Operator (V2)

2019-10-10 Thread Olumide Samson
On Thu, Oct 10, 2019, 4:35 AM Stanislav Malyshev wrote: > Hi! > > > it into some kind of proxy war. Yes, "it breaks backwards compatibility > for > > questionable benefit" is an argument against this proposal, it is even a > > *very good* argument against it, but it's also no mandate to shut

Re: [PHP-DEV] [RFC] Deprecate Backtick Operator (V2)

2019-10-09 Thread Olumide Samson
On Wed, Oct 9, 2019, 3:41 PM Bishop Bettini wrote: > On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 5:21 PM Olumide Samson > wrote: > >> On Mon, Oct 7, 2019, 9:20 PM Claude Pache wrote: >> >> > > Le 7 oct. 2019 à 22:06, Olumide Samson a >> écrit : >> > > >>

Re: [PHP-DEV] [RFC] Deprecate Backtick Operator (V2)

2019-10-09 Thread Olumide Samson
On Wed, Oct 9, 2019, 12:59 AM M. W. Moe wrote: > Hello, > > the point Stanislav is really not about whom; that's about thinking, work, > effort, personal walk thru a problem; > and I am sorry he is fully right; live example: > > "I think that's been inconsistencies from the part of early

Re: [PHP-DEV] [RFC] Deprecate Backtick Operator (V2)

2019-10-08 Thread Olumide Samson
On Tue, Oct 8, 2019, 3:30 PM Chase Peeler wrote: > On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 9:18 AM Reinis Rozitis wrote: > > > > -Original Message----- > > > From: Olumide Samson [mailto:oludons...@gmail.com] > > > > > > it should be deprecated fo

Re: [PHP-DEV] [RFC] Deprecate Backtick Operator (V2)

2019-10-07 Thread Olumide Samson
On Mon, Oct 7, 2019, 9:20 PM Claude Pache wrote: > > > Le 7 oct. 2019 à 22:06, Olumide Samson a écrit : > > > > > > What's the goal of PHP? > > One important goal is (like many programming languages) to get work done. > > —Claude > I disagree, coz thi

Re: [PHP-DEV] [RFC] Deprecate Backtick Operator (V2)

2019-10-07 Thread Olumide Samson
On Mon, Oct 7, 2019, 7:53 PM Stanislav Malyshev wrote: > Hi! > > > That is the purpose of the eventual vote, is it not? To allow the > > community to make that determination. > > Not exactly - there should be a good reason before the RFC comes to a > vote. If you're not sure there's a VERY good

Re: [PHP-DEV] [RFC] Deprecate Backtick Operator (V2)

2019-10-05 Thread Olumide Samson
I think something that deals with system commands should be highly obvious and should not be allowed through shortcut syntax that made it easy to be hidden amongst codes for many security reasons. There's already a popular way without hidden syntax and which speaks of itself in a verifiable way

[PHP-DEV] Within 2 weeks, everything In PHP internals questioned

2019-09-18 Thread Olumide Samson
Hi Zeev, Not trying to be a distraction(I shouldn't even have messaged), but I guess you might be waking everyone up to some facts these recent days(probably in the wrong way, and to some; positive). Why did i write this? I've been following closely lately and have seen you(Zeev Suraski)

Re: [PHP-DEV] Defining the PHP Group

2019-09-17 Thread Olumide Samson
I don't think there is a valid way to define "fundamental BC breaks" or "mere BC breaks", all votes will always be a reasonable vote as much as there are people to vote on it. Whats special or different about BC break that would require slim margin or consensus votes on where this is dealing with

Re: [PHP-DEV] Defining the PHP Group

2019-09-15 Thread Olumide Samson
On Sun, Sep 15, 2019, 11:41 PM Olumide Samson wrote: > > > On Sun, Sep 15, 2019, 8:33 PM Stanislav Malyshev > wrote: > >> Hi! >> >> > Does anyone object to any of those words ? >> >> Yes. I do not think precommitting to implement anything

Re: [PHP-DEV] PHP's declining(?) popularity

2019-09-15 Thread Olumide Samson
ck as an alternative for PHP because it was not scalable. And after that, JavaScript, TypeScript and Python became the linguas franca for web development" On Sun, Sep 15, 2019, 8:18 AM Zeev Suraski wrote: > > > On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 6:33 AM Mike Schinkel > wrote: > >> &

Re: [PHP-DEV] [RFC] Reclassifying engine warnings

2019-09-14 Thread Olumide Samson
https://jaxenter.com/php-tiobe-sept-2019-162096.html I think this is one of those things we get from voting no... I might be wrong anyways :-? On Sat, Sep 14, 2019, 12:43 AM Kosit Supanyo wrote: > Hi internals > > This maybe a little bit late but I would like to propose alternative to > this

Re: [PHP-DEV] Evolving PHP

2019-09-13 Thread Olumide Samson
On Fri, Sep 13, 2019, 3:10 PM Rasmus Lerdorf wrote: > Lots of drama on internals lately. Not that different from 15-20 years ago. > A couple of things to keep in mind for everyone. > > It is not that hard to write a tool that perfectly fits your own needs and > people who are very similar to you

Re: [PHP-DEV] Changing fundamental language behaviors

2019-09-13 Thread Olumide Samson
I'm thinking this thread is receiving much attention than really required. Irrespective of the left and right argument, I think everyone wants a better language, the leftist are just arguing on a very lazy fact, not that they don't see anything bad in their wrong argument they are all just trying

Re: [PHP-DEV] Changing fundamental language behaviors

2019-09-12 Thread Olumide Samson
p-src/blob/master/docs/mailinglist-rules.md >> I think some parts might have been violated multiple time in this thread. >> >> > I can take the hint. This will likely be my last post on the topic. I > think there are few others on this thread that can take up the fight from > here on ou

Re: [PHP-DEV] Changing fundamental language behaviors

2019-09-12 Thread Olumide Samson
On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 8:29 PM Chase Peeler wrote: > > > On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 3:17 PM Olumide Samson > wrote: > >> On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 8:11 PM Michael Babker >> wrote: >> >> > On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 2:06 PM Olumide Samson >> > wrote:

Re: [PHP-DEV] Changing fundamental language behaviors

2019-09-12 Thread Olumide Samson
On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 8:15 PM Chase Peeler wrote: > > > On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 3:06 PM Olumide Samson > wrote: > >> On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 8:00 PM Michael Babker >> wrote: >> >> > On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 1:51 PM Peter Kokot >> wrote: &

Re: [PHP-DEV] Changing fundamental language behaviors

2019-09-12 Thread Olumide Samson
On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 8:11 PM Michael Babker wrote: > On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 2:06 PM Olumide Samson > wrote: > >> On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 8:00 PM Michael Babker >> wrote: >> >>> On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 1:51 PM Peter Kokot >>> wrote: &g

Re: [PHP-DEV] Changing fundamental language behaviors

2019-09-12 Thread Olumide Samson
On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 8:00 PM Michael Babker wrote: > On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 1:51 PM Peter Kokot wrote: > > > Just a dumb idea, since there clearly is a majority in favor of the > > change with these warnings and strictness and all that now... Why not > > making something like an LTS PHP 7.x

Re: [PHP-DEV] Changing fundamental language behaviors

2019-09-12 Thread Olumide Samson
On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 7:10 PM Lynn wrote: > On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 7:59 PM Mike Schinkel wrote: > > > > > > > Just a few weeks ago I was refactoring some particularly horrible code > > developed by previously employed developers — a code based that has a > 1400 > > line function and many

Re: [PHP-DEV] Changing fundamental language behaviors

2019-09-12 Thread Olumide Samson
I think it would do this list more good than not, if we talk or assume about some people who will ever or never upgrade... Seriously? How do you know if they would never or ever upgrade, you can only and should probably speak for yourself... If they want more customers(translating to revenue),

Re: [PHP-DEV] Changing fundamental language behaviors

2019-09-12 Thread Olumide Samson
On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 6:54 PM Chase Peeler wrote: > On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 1:33 PM Matthew Brown > wrote: > > > What if Java suddenly said that all properties are suddenly private, and > >> can only be accessed through getter/setter methods? > >> > > > > If Java announced that the next major

Re: [PHP-DEV] Changing fundamental language behaviors

2019-09-12 Thread Olumide Samson
On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 6:22 PM Chase Peeler wrote: > On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 1:05 PM Matthew Brown > wrote: > > > that don't fundamentally change the language > > > > > > There's clearly a big disagreement about whether this is a fundamental > > change or not. > > > > Preventing something that

Re: [PHP-DEV] [RFC] Object Initializer

2019-09-12 Thread Olumide Samson
The RFC is a beautiful feature suggestion, but something is telling me as beautiful and straightforward the syntax is, what can the use case be? I really love Constructor or Object initialization to be implemented in PHP, but is there something I think you're missing in the RFC? Thanks for the

Re: [PHP-DEV] Changing fundamental language behaviors

2019-09-12 Thread Olumide Samson
You first me on that reply Dan, I guess I should just say "the naysayers are back", I can see their footprint all around. The RFC is Request for Comment on any changes, is there an explicit or implicit mention about what kind of proposed changes can be made? Mr/Mrs Zeev are you for PHP or

Re: [PHP-DEV] [VOTE] Reclassifying engine warnings

2019-09-12 Thread Olumide Samson
On Thu, Sep 12, 2019, 2:59 PM Chase Peeler wrote: > > > On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 8:33 AM Olumide Samson > wrote: > >> Thanks to those who can vote, all in all I hope for a better language >> where >> we can proudly post jobs(even intern) for on our company's we

Re: [PHP-DEV] [VOTE] Reclassifying engine warnings

2019-09-12 Thread Olumide Samson
Thanks to those who can vote, all in all I hope for a better language where we can proudly post jobs(even intern) for on our company's website without been looked down on as inferior. Since I can't vote, I can only hope for the best. <3 On Thu, Sep 12, 2019, 1:17 PM Nikita Popov wrote: > Hi

Re: [PHP-DEV] Make error_reporting=E_ALL the default

2019-08-30 Thread Olumide Samson
+1 On Fri, Aug 30, 2019, 11:13 AM Javier Spagnoletti wrote: > Great step! +1 > Thank you so much Nikita. > > El vie., 30 de ago. de 2019 07:02, Arvids Godjuks < > arvids.godj...@gmail.com> > escribió: > > > пт, 30 авг. 2019 г. в 11:33, Nikita Popov : > > > > > Hi internals, > > > > > > Relating

Re: [PHP-DEV] [RFC] Reclassifying engine warnings

2019-08-28 Thread Olumide Samson
On Thu, Aug 29, 2019, 12:33 AM Stanislav Malyshev wrote: > Hi! > > On 8/28/19 4:23 PM, Matthew Brown wrote: > > $foo++ becoming 1 when $foo is undefined is not intuitive to me. > > I guess we have different intuition. > > > To take a very trivial example, that behaviour causes “for ($i = 0; > >

Re: [PHP-DEV] [RFC] Reclassifying engine warnings

2019-08-28 Thread Olumide Samson
On Wed, Aug 28, 2019, 5:12 PM Mark Randall wrote: > On 28/08/2019 16:37, Chase Peeler wrote: > > I'm also not the one that built it on the eggshells - I'm just the one > that > > is now in charge of developing the system that someone else left sitting > > eggshells. > > That's a challenge which

Re: [PHP-DEV] Re: VCS Account Request: noobshow

2019-08-26 Thread Olumide Samson
Hi internals@, Figured I could contribute without the vcs account. Request canceled. Thanks, Samson. On Tue, Aug 20, 2019, 12:38 PM Olumide Samson wrote: > Hi internals@, > I'm Olumide Samson, lead developer at Zapay Inc(a financial service > provider). > > All of our backend co

[PHP-DEV] Re: VCS Account Request: noobshow

2019-08-20 Thread Olumide Samson
Hi internals@, I'm Olumide Samson, lead developer at Zapay Inc(a financial service provider). All of our backend codes are written majorly in PHP(which is a language i've been programming in since 2007) and C(since 2006) which i write advance sys-related programs in... I'm hoping i could

Re: [PHP-DEV] Removing old branches in php-src

2019-08-19 Thread Olumide Samson
> > Maybe it might necessarily not need be removed, if this might be a better > idea, why shouldn't there be a php-archive or something like that as a git > account or repository where all those historical branches may be kept for > historical access? > > I think removing isn't making sense to me

[PHP-DEV] VCS Account Request: noobshow

2019-08-19 Thread Olumide Samson
Contributing to the PHP Core and PHP Windows code -- PHP Internals - PHP Runtime Development Mailing List To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php

Re: [PHP-DEV] Vote: Straw poll for P++ feasibility

2019-08-16 Thread Olumide Samson
On Fri, Aug 16, 2019, 5:08 PM Mark Randall wrote: > On 16/08/2019 11:18, Christoph M. Becker wrote: > > It is not necessarily required to have an implementation for an RFC > > available, see item (6) in . > > I have enormous respect for Derick, but I can't help

Re: [PHP-DEV] Vote: Straw poll for P++ feasibility

2019-08-15 Thread Olumide Samson
: > > > On Thu, Aug 15, 2019, 3:20 AM Olumide Samson > wrote: > >> On Thu, Aug 15, 2019, 10:52 AM Peter Kokot wrote: >> >> > On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 at 22:41, Zeev Suraski wrote: >> > > >> > > On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 6:14 PM Derick Rethans >

Re: [PHP-DEV] Vote: Straw poll for P++ feasibility

2019-08-15 Thread Olumide Samson
On Thu, Aug 15, 2019, 10:52 AM Peter Kokot wrote: > On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 at 22:41, Zeev Suraski wrote: > > > > On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 6:14 PM Derick Rethans wrote: > > > > > Hi, > > > > > > In the last week(s) there has been a lot of chat about Zeev's P++ idea. > > > Before we end up spending

Re: [PHP-DEV] Vote: Straw poll for P++ feasibility

2019-08-14 Thread Olumide Samson
I would say, PHP needs a direction(where're we headed?) than having a split language. Seriously, the core team have *tons of kudos* from the outside world(even outside of PHP) and i think something called for those serious implementation and i believe everyone(or simply put, the majority) one day

Re: [PHP-DEV] Deprecate PHP's short open tags, again

2019-08-14 Thread Olumide Samson
On Wed, Aug 14, 2019, 5:23 PM Robert Korulczyk wrote: > > While possibly a bit hyperbolic, most of the arguments basically come > off that way to me as well. I've definitely viewed most of what you've said > in > > that manner. > > I guess we're in some kind of limbo where half of the people do

Re: [PHP-DEV] Deprecate PHP's short open tags, again

2019-08-14 Thread Olumide Samson
On Wed, Aug 14, 2019, 11:24 AM Peter Kokot wrote: > On Wed, 14 Aug 2019, 12:09 Reinis Rozitis, wrote: > > > > It is surprising how thing that is considered by one to be a security > > risk, is treated > > > as nothing relevant by others. This dichotomy is quite disturbing - in > > what case > >

[PHP-DEV] Re: Deprecate PHP's short open tags, again

2019-08-13 Thread Olumide Samson
Not sure what the counter argument is really driving at. So, because some people are using a function or an unworthy directive, then there can't be a major change in that aspect? Many languages clean up many unused functions, directives and so more just to meet some proper standard. I'm been

[PHP-DEV] Re: Deprecate PHP's short open tags, again

2019-08-13 Thread Olumide Samson
Not sure what the counter argument is really driving at. So, because some people are using a function or an unworthy directive, then there can't be a major change in that aspect? Many languages clean up many unused functions, directives and so more just to meet some proper standard. I'm been