[kwin] [Bug 405912] Add support for adaptive sync (FreeSync) in KWin for Wayland and X sessions

2019-08-15 Thread Shmerl
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=405912

--- Comment #11 from Shmerl  ---
(In reply to oiaohm from comment #9)
> 
> Again that path does not have required sync functionality in wayland.
> 

Consensus is that it should be a Wayland protocol extension (see linked Wayland
bug). That's what I expected. It will help to avoid reinventing the wheel
differently in each compositor.

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.

[kwin] [Bug 405912] Add support for adaptive sync (FreeSync) in KWin for Wayland and X sessions

2019-05-13 Thread Shmerl
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=405912

--- Comment #10 from Shmerl  ---
There should be a use case of not using EGL. Not sure why it has to be required
if you say that Wayland doesn't need to care about platform specifics. If you
think EGL is required because Vulkan / WSI didn't exist in the past, then
Wayland itself needs adjustment to take that into account today. From what I
understood though, EGL is not a requirement.

And saying that compositors and drivers should handle sync logic can lead to
complete mess of incompatible solutions (remember Nvidia's mess with other
things). I don't find it a good idea, if no one will use the same method.

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.

[kwin] [Bug 405912] Add support for adaptive sync (FreeSync) in KWin for Wayland and X sessions

2019-05-13 Thread oiaohm
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=405912

--- Comment #9 from oiaohm  ---
(In reply to Shmerl from comment #8)
> Wayland applications aren't supposed to be restricted to EGL. They can use
> WSI too (VK_USE_PLATFORM_WAYLAND_KHR and etc.).

Again that path does not have required sync functionality in wayland.

When wayland was design EGL existed and Vulkan did not.

Reality here what you pass wl_buffer that is a platform particular buffer not
in fact defined in wayland protocol.

Platform particular buffer contains all you sync stuff.

How to process platform particular contents of the wl_buffer that has to be
sorted out but that is not a wayland protocol problem.

Wayland protocol is not a network server protocol like X11.Its  local
protocol.   Being a local protocol it can have platform particular things where
it implemented..

Really this is not a wayland extension.

This would really be how does EGL use Vulkan buffers and how does Vulkan use
EGL buffers and extract required information.

Wayland protocol particularly designed not to need changing just because a new
sync system is made.

Drivers get updates and maintain compatibility with the interfaces they provide
everything should work. 

Basically wayland protocol design should have no place for adaptive sync
(FreeSync) because this is a platform particular thing and should in the
wl_buffer where all other platform particular things should be.

So basically this problem should fall on mesa, nvidia and other graphics driver
vendors to design the implementation.

This one is a big change of the Wayland design.Don't have the
compositor/wayland protocol inventing wheels to solve issues that should be
solved at khronos.org.   Graphics drivers makes really should be able to
advise/design how all this sync stuff works so it works the best because they
understand the hardware.

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.

[kwin] [Bug 405912] Add support for adaptive sync (FreeSync) in KWin for Wayland and X sessions

2019-05-11 Thread Shmerl
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=405912

--- Comment #8 from Shmerl  ---
Wayland applications aren't supposed to be restricted to EGL. They can use WSI
too (VK_USE_PLATFORM_WAYLAND_KHR and etc.).

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.

[kwin] [Bug 405912] Add support for adaptive sync (FreeSync) in KWin for Wayland and X sessions

2019-05-11 Thread oiaohm
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=405912

oiaohm  changed:

   What|Removed |Added

 CC||oia...@gmail.com

--- Comment #7 from oiaohm  ---
(In reply to Shmerl from comment #6)
> Related Wayland issue:
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland/issues/84#note_136147
> 
> In short, it requires new Wayland protocol extension first.

Are you sure.   The reality here since Wayland applications are directly using
EGL and the sync primitives are EGL.

https://wayland.freedesktop.org/docs/html/ch03.html#idm140152825611760
Basic wayland.

So to have freesync run most likely does not require any protocol change.

https://github.com/wayland-project/wayland-protocols/blob/master/stable/presentation-time/presentation-time.xml

If you are after the wayland protocol that needs any changes its the
presentation-time.

"bitmask of flags in presented event"

May need a new flag for Freesync.  Or maybe its just vsync.

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.

[kwin] [Bug 405912] Add support for adaptive sync (FreeSync) in KWin for Wayland and X sessions

2019-05-06 Thread deadite66
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=405912

deadite66  changed:

   What|Removed |Added

 CC||lee295...@gmail.com

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.

[kwin] [Bug 405912] Add support for adaptive sync (FreeSync) in KWin for Wayland and X sessions

2019-04-30 Thread Shmerl
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=405912

--- Comment #6 from Shmerl  ---
Related Wayland issue:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland/issues/84#note_136147

In short, it requires new Wayland protocol extension first.

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.

[kwin] [Bug 405912] Add support for adaptive sync (FreeSync) in KWin for Wayland and X sessions

2019-04-28 Thread Rainer Finke
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=405912

Rainer Finke  changed:

   What|Removed |Added

 CC||m...@rainer-finke.de

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.

[kwin] [Bug 405912] Add support for adaptive sync (FreeSync) in KWin for Wayland and X sessions

2019-03-27 Thread Nate Graham
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=405912

Nate Graham  changed:

   What|Removed |Added

 CC||n...@kde.org

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.

[kwin] [Bug 405912] Add support for adaptive sync (FreeSync) in KWin for Wayland and X sessions

2019-03-27 Thread David Edmundson
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=405912

David Edmundson  changed:

   What|Removed |Added

 CC||k...@davidedmundson.co.uk

--- Comment #5 from David Edmundson  ---
On wayland, no. It's on the TODO list. We want to.
on X, xserver can do some magic tricks to skip kwin.

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.

[kwin] [Bug 405912] Add support for adaptive sync (FreeSync) in KWin for Wayland and X sessions

2019-03-27 Thread Vlad Zagorodniy
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=405912

--- Comment #4 from Vlad Zagorodniy  ---
> 11:19  emersion, the compositor needs to set the VRR DRM property to 
> allow VRR, when it detects the window that opted in being on direct scanout.

Does KWin even support direct scanout?

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.

[kwin] [Bug 405912] Add support for adaptive sync (FreeSync) in KWin for Wayland and X sessions

2019-03-26 Thread Shmerl
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=405912

--- Comment #3 from Shmerl  ---
Just in case, this can be helpful:
https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.

[kwin] [Bug 405912] Add support for adaptive sync (FreeSync) in KWin for Wayland and X sessions

2019-03-26 Thread Shmerl
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=405912

--- Comment #2 from Shmerl  ---
(In reply to Martin Flöser from comment #1)
> 
> Obvious problem: this requires (expensive) hardware.
>

Do you mean monitors or GPUs? VRR is supported by low end GPUs as well. As for
monitors, you can find 1920x1080 TN panel monitors with FreeSync support for
under $200. So FreeSync doesn't appear to be equal to expensive hardware
really.

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.

[kwin] [Bug 405912] Add support for adaptive sync (FreeSync) in KWin for Wayland and X sessions

2019-03-26 Thread Martin Flöser
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=405912

--- Comment #1 from Martin Flöser  ---
It'll take two to three years till the user space components are available in
distros, so that we can depend on it and devs running stable distros can
develop on it.

Obvious problem: this requires (expensive) hardware.

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.

[kwin] [Bug 405912] Add support for adaptive sync (FreeSync) in KWin for Wayland and X sessions

2019-03-26 Thread Martin Flöser
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=405912

Martin Flöser  changed:

   What|Removed |Added

   Severity|normal  |wishlist

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.