[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1215633] Re: Wireless driver fails with hardware watchdog - doesn't reset

2013-08-23 Thread Seth Forshee
Robert: Sounds like you don't know what the last kernel version you ran which didn't have this issue? If you still have some old kernels installed, could you try booting to them to find the last one you had which worked? Or even better, you could install some kernels from

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1215633] Re: Wireless driver fails with hardware watchdog - doesn't reset

2013-08-23 Thread Seth Forshee
Robert: Also please attach a full dmesg from a boot exhibiting this behavior. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1215633 Title: Wireless driver fails with hardware watchdog

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1201470] Re: 8086:0085 Intel wireless microcode driver failure in Saucy causes disconnects

2013-08-23 Thread Seth Forshee
This isn't a network-manager problem, so marking invalid there. In this case I the microcode errors are a side effect of frequent reassociations caused by invalid channel swtich announcements from the AP. These errors _are_ a problem, but the issues with this specific network can be fixed by

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1201470] Re: Invalid ECSA IEs in probe response frames causes connection to drop

2013-08-23 Thread Seth Forshee
And here's the fix. I've tested so I don't need feedback, but this kernel can be used until we get the fix into the archive. http://people.canonical.com/~sforshee/lp1201470/linux-3.11.0-3.7+lp1201470v201308230917/ -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1201470] Re: Invalid ECSA IEs in probe response frames causes connection to drop

2013-08-23 Thread Seth Forshee
** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu) Status: In Progress = Fix Committed -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1201470 Title: Invalid ECSA IEs in probe response frames causes

Re: [Kernel-packages] [Bug 1201470] Re: Invalid ECSA IEs in probe response frames causes connection to drop

2013-12-13 Thread Seth Forshee
On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 01:58:12PM -, Tim Flubshi wrote: Thanks for your fix. I have two questions: 1.) Is this fix part of the upstream linux kernel or only ubuntu specific? If not: Will this be pushed to upstream and in which kernel version? The fix is upstream as of 3.12 and has been

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1208455] Re: general protection fault running apt-get inside double nested kvm VM

2013-12-13 Thread Seth Forshee
I tried reproducing this while using trusty on the host and was unable to do so. I also could not reproduce with the trusty kernel (currently 3.12) running with saucy userspace on the host. So as far as I can tell the issue is fixed in 3.12. I took a stab at trying to bisect, but something

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1265550] Re: linux-firmware: iwlwifi: add firmware for 7260 / 3160 devices

2014-01-02 Thread Seth Forshee
I tested the new firmware in saucy and trusty and didn't see any regressions. I wasn't seeing the issues which are said to be fixed by the new firmware so I can't comment on that aspect. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1265550] Re: linux-firmware: iwlwifi: add firmware for 7260 / 3160 devices

2014-01-02 Thread Seth Forshee
Forgot to mention that I only tested the 7260 firmware, I don't have any 3160 hw. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to linux-firmware in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1265550 Title: linux-firmware: iwlwifi: add

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1243267] Re: Backlight brightness control doesn't work

2013-10-22 Thread Seth Forshee
Björn: We also have reports that this patch fixes the backlight on the T430 (bug #1183856). Possibly Lenovo is making machines that look the same to the kernel but behave differently. Please also provide the following information. Grab a copy of your acpi tables by running acpidump

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1243267] Re: Backlight brightness control doesn't work

2013-10-22 Thread Seth Forshee
One more thing. Can you supply the output of running cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/device/firmware_node/path for both kernels? -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1243267

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1243267] Re: Backlight brightness control doesn't work

2013-10-22 Thread Seth Forshee
The firmware has lots of strange complexities, but as far as I can tell the acpi_video0 backlight interface should fundamentally work no better, or possibly worse, when the patch is reverted. It would be instructive if you could verify this by trying to adjust the brightness using some mechanism

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1201470] Re: Intel wireless microcode driver failure in Saucy causes disconnects

2013-07-16 Thread Seth Forshee
I have identified one issue that looks like it's contributing to the problem. This isn't a kernel bug, but a problem with the data from the router that causes mac80211 to disconnect from the current AP and roam to another one. The test kernel linked to below contains a workaround that _might_

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1251054] Re: networking didn't return from suspend

2013-11-14 Thread Seth Forshee
I've seen some reports about NetworkManager failing to work after suspend, and since none of your connections work I'd guess this is what you're seeing. Next time this happens see if restarting NetworkManager fixes the problem. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1251054] Re: networking didn't return from suspend

2013-11-15 Thread Seth Forshee
From what I see in the logs there's not even an attempt to establish a connection after resume, so I think the problem is likely with network- manager. Reassigning. ** Package changed: linux (Ubuntu) = network-manager (Ubuntu) -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1253155] Re: Failure to validate module signature at boot time

2013-11-25 Thread Seth Forshee
I get the module verification failed messages for libahci.ko. If the module is signed, running: hexdump -C /path/to/module | tail -n 5 should show the string ~Module signature appended~ at the end. I see that with i915.ko for example, but with video.ko and libahci.ko I do not. After a little

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1239177] Re: [saucy] wireless internet card wont be detected after suspension

2013-10-15 Thread Seth Forshee
You're using the bcmwl dkms package, so I'm changing the bug to be against that package. ** Package changed: linux (Ubuntu) = bcmwl (Ubuntu) -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to bcmwl in Ubuntu.

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1218233] Re: phy error 0x1 on network operations with macbook air

2013-09-10 Thread Seth Forshee
: Incomplete = Fix Released ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu) Assignee: (unassigned) = Seth Forshee (sforshee) -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1218233 Title: phy error 0x1

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1215633] Re: 14e4:4727 Wireless driver fails with hardware watchdog - doesn't reset

2013-09-10 Thread Seth Forshee
Robert: The saucy kernel now has a fix for the phy errors in your logs. I'm not sure whether or not these are related to the PSM watchdog timing out, so please test with Linux 3.11.0-6.12 or later and let me know if you still have issues. Thanks! -- You received this bug notification because you

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1221857] Re: 8086:008a Wifi slowly degrades until no data transfer

2013-09-11 Thread Seth Forshee
Benjamin: A few questions. Have you noticed whether or not the problems always coincide with the stack trace from comment #4? Or with the fail to flush all tx fifo queues messages? If you still have the stack trace from comment #4 in the logs, can you please attach the full log? There may be

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1314562] Re: [Dell XPS 13] Intel Wireless 7260 has very bad connectivity

2014-05-01 Thread Seth Forshee
One thing to check. Over on bug #1293569 it's noted that going back to the iwlwifi-7260-7 firmware corrects similar issues, in which case the problems are apparently due to a regression in the firmware. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is

Re: [Kernel-packages] [Bug 1293569] Re: iwlwifi-7260-8.ucode causes network disconnections problems

2014-05-05 Thread Seth Forshee
On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 03:52:02PM -, Emmanuel Grumbach wrote: can someone have a sniffer capture of this? This would be very useful. One more point - if you can increase the debug level of the supplicant, this would be nice. If anyone wants to try this, I have a script which might help.

Re: [Kernel-packages] [Bug 1293569] Re: iwlwifi-7260-8.ucode causes network disconnections problems

2014-05-05 Thread Seth Forshee
On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 02:52:41PM -, Daniel Manrique wrote: I'm on a Dell XPS 13 with Ubuntu 14.04 with kernel 3.13.0-24 and I'm not affected by this problem. I checked and, even though the -8 firmware exists in /lib/firmware, my iwlwifi module is only loading the -7 firmware. If this

Re: [Kernel-packages] [Bug 1293569] Re: iwlwifi-7260-8.ucode causes network disconnections problems

2014-05-05 Thread Seth Forshee
On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 04:21:02PM -, Emmanuel Grumbach wrote: any suggestions to fix the lie are welcome :) I guess lie was a bit strong, how about half-truth ;-) I don't know if it's something which needs a fix, I just wanted to warn that what modinfo says in this case doesn't indicate

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1293569] Re: iwlwifi-7260-8.ucode causes network disconnections problems

2014-05-06 Thread Seth Forshee
Daniel: I've tested various APs in my possession on both 2.4 and 5 GHz and don't see these problems either, so as far as I can tell it is not related to the frequency band. And to everyone affected, please respond to Emmanuel's requests for information. He's the maintainer of the iwlwifi driver,

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1317604] Re: no wifi with kernel 3.15

2014-05-09 Thread Seth Forshee
First off, the mainline builds are not supported. They are provided only for testing purposed. You should confirm that the problem also exists with the official kernel. Since you're using the wl driver though the problem is most likely not in the kernel itself but in that driver. You should still

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1293569] Re: iwlwifi-7260-8.ucode causes network disconnections problems

2014-05-12 Thread Seth Forshee
I made a build for testing the change in comment #29, which is available at http://people.canonical.com/~sforshee/lp1293569/linux-3.13.0-26.48+lp1293569v201405121159/. Emmanuel: I assume the dmesg need to be from a device experiencing problems? If not I can get one for you. -- You received this

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1293569] Re: iwlwifi-7260-8.ucode causes network disconnections problems

2014-05-16 Thread Seth Forshee
Emmanuel: I can do a test build if you let me know exactly what needs to be changed. Is it just bumping IWL7260_UCODE_API_MAX to 9? -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to linux-firmware in Ubuntu.

Re: [Kernel-packages] [Bug 1293569] Re: iwlwifi-7260-8.ucode causes network disconnections problems

2014-05-16 Thread Seth Forshee
On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 06:06:02PM -, Jason Gerard DeRose wrote: Seth, Just finish building. All I did was bump IWL7260_UCODE_API_MAX, IWL3160_UCODE_API_MAX to 9. Loaded -9 firmware correctly, seems to be working fine so far: [2.936156] iwlwifi :04:00.0: loaded firmware

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1293569] Re: iwlwifi-7260-8.ucode causes network disconnections problems

2014-05-19 Thread Seth Forshee
I've prepared a test build with the patch from comment #47, available at the link below: http://people.canonical.com/~sforshee/lp1293569/linux-3.13.0-27.50+lp1293569v201405190854/ Please be sure to test this with the -8 firmware. I've placed a copy of the file (iwlwifi-7260-8.ucode) at the same

Re: [Kernel-packages] [Bug 1293569] Re: iwlwifi-7260-8.ucode causes network disconnections problems

2014-05-20 Thread Seth Forshee
On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 08:54:02PM -, Emmanuel Grumbach wrote: Patch has been sent to stable and Greg said he would pick it up: http://www.spinics.net/lists/stable/msg46075.html Thanks. The 3.13 maintainer should pick it up too in that case, though I'll give him a poke to make sure. I

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1275879] Re: Kernel panic

2014-06-30 Thread Seth Forshee
Nope, no logs needed. Thanks for testing. ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu) Status: Incomplete = In Progress -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1275879 Title: Kernel

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1275879] Re: Kernel panic

2014-07-01 Thread Seth Forshee
Diego: I've been reviewing this patch with newer kernel versions, and I don't believe it should actually make any difference there (and would probably add a bug as well). Have you tried 14.04 to see if the problem still exists there? ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu) Status: In Progress =

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1293569] Re: iwlwifi-7260-8.ucode causes network disconnections problems

2014-07-10 Thread Seth Forshee
To clarify: the kernel in -proposed contains the changes which should fix the problems with the -8 firmware. So please test that kernel with the -8 firmware and verify that the problems previously seen with the -8 firmware are fixed. Thanks! -- You received this bug notification because you are

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1341021] Re: [Firmware Bug]: ACPI: BIOS _OSI(Linux) query ignored

2014-07-14 Thread Seth Forshee
This message means that your machine's bios is querying the operating system to determine if it is Linux, and this query is being ignored by the kernel. The kernel labels this as a bug in the bios (not a bug in Linux) because that query is no longer supported, since Linux ACPI functionality is

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1341068] Re: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6235 wifi is slow

2014-07-14 Thread Seth Forshee
The description here isn't very informative. It's slow compared to what? The same machine booted in Windows? Previous Ubuntu releases? One probable cause is that transmit aggregation as been enabled by default for some Intel hardware due to firmware bugs which caused unstable connections, which

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1319630] Re: 85% performance hit in iwlwifi from 12.04 to 14.04

2014-05-21 Thread Seth Forshee
Pablo: Did you test Emmanuel's suggestion, and did it help? If so, you can make the workaround permanent by creating a file in the /etc/modprobe.d directory (e.g. iwlwifi-11n.conf) which contains the line options iwlwifi 11n_disable=8. Tx AMPDU has caused problems for enough people that I don't

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1319630] Re: 85% performance hit in iwlwifi from 12.04 to 14.04

2014-05-21 Thread Seth Forshee
Thanks, Pablo. In that case I'm going to close the bug. ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu) Status: Incomplete = Won't Fix ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu) Assignee: (unassigned) = Seth Forshee (sforshee) -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1322067] Re: 3.15.0-1.x breaks lxc-attach for unprivileged containers

2014-05-22 Thread Seth Forshee
This commit is certainly to blame. commit 35a35046e4f9d8849e727b0e0f6edac0ece4ca6e Author: Djalal Harouni tix...@opendz.org Date: Mon Apr 7 15:38:36 2014 -0700 procfs: make /proc/*/{stack,syscall,personality} 0400 These procfs files contain sensitive information and currently

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1322067] Re: 3.15.0-1.x breaks lxc-attach for unprivileged containers

2014-05-22 Thread Seth Forshee
Fwiw, I suspect the reason for clamping down permissions on the personality file is because it has an ADDR_NO_RANDOMIZE flag. Perhaps the rationale is that having this file world-readable means that an attacker could scan for processes that are vulnerable to an attack which would otherwise be

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1322067] Re: 3.15.0-1.x breaks lxc-attach for unprivileged containers

2014-05-26 Thread Seth Forshee
** Also affects: lxc (Ubuntu) Importance: Undecided Status: New ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Utopic) Status: Confirmed = Won't Fix -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu.

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1275879] Re: Kernel panic

2014-05-29 Thread Seth Forshee
Chili_Man: Did you ever get a chance to test the kernel in comment #11? -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1275879 Title: Kernel panic Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1293569] Re: iwlwifi-7260-8.ucode causes network disconnections problems

2014-06-09 Thread Seth Forshee
I've made sure that iwlwifi: mvm: disable beacon filtering will be included in the next 3.13.x.y release. Since we've already reverted the firmware as a workaround I'll just wait for that to arrive in trusty from 3.13.x.y. Emmanuel: can you describe specifically what problem iwlwifi: mvm: Add a

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1330050] Re: [HP Compaq nx6325 Notebook PC] Wi-Fi (BCM4311) not working with latest utopic kernel 3.15.0-6

2014-06-16 Thread Seth Forshee
This looks like a problem with the closed-source wl driver and not with the kernel, so I'm updating the bug to be against that package. ** Package changed: linux (Ubuntu) = bcmwl (Ubuntu) -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to

Re: [Kernel-packages] [Bug 1293569] Re: iwlwifi-7260-8.ucode causes network disconnections problems

2014-06-19 Thread Seth Forshee
On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 03:23:44PM -, Jason Gerard DeRose wrote: Seth, I noticed that the linux-firmware package in proposed (1.127.3) doesn't have the 7260 -8 firmware, but does have the 3160 -8 firmware? Is this intentional? $ dpkg -L linux-firmware | egrep 7260|3160

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1275879] Re: Kernel panic

2014-06-23 Thread Seth Forshee
Great, thanks the update. I'll wait to see your final results. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1275879 Title: Kernel panic Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1248485] Re: No wireless connection after updates 12.04LTS

2013-11-07 Thread Seth Forshee
John, is there some reason you can't run the apport-collect command requested in comment #3? That will add data to the bug that really is needed for us to help you. If at all possible please run it when booted into the kernel which produces the wireless problems (you'll need to use the wired

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1248485] Re: No wireless connection after updates 12.04LTS

2013-11-07 Thread Seth Forshee
No, for some reason it's crashing and not attaching the data. Until we can get that working can you boot into the kernel with broken wifi and run these commands in a terminal: lspci -vvnn lspci.txt dmesg dmesg.txt This will produce two files, lspci.txt and dmesg.txt. Please attach these files

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1247784] Re: please enable CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT3573 in kernel 3.12

2013-11-07 Thread Seth Forshee
The first Ubuntu development kernel for 3.12 was just recently uploaded and has the option enabled, so I'm not really sure what kernel you're referring to with this bug report. Seeing how it is enabled though I'm marking this bug invalid. ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu) Status: Triaged =

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1248485] Re: No wireless connection after updates 12.04LTS

2013-11-07 Thread Seth Forshee
In the bug description you say if I boot with ... I mean the same thing you mean there -- boot with the kernel which has broken wifi. You added a space between - and vvnn in the lspci command I gave you. Please enter the commands exactly as I supplied (copy/paste works well for this). I'm not

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1247784] Re: please enable CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT3573 in kernel 3.12

2013-11-07 Thread Seth Forshee
Our team does generate those kernels, but they are for test purposes only and are not meant for day-to-day use. As such they are not officially supported. The option here was new in 3.12 and for whatever reason got defaulted to off, but as soon as those builds start using the trusty kernel

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1248485] Re: No wireless connection after updates 12.04LTS

2013-11-08 Thread Seth Forshee
The wireless device listed in lspci hasn't ever been supported in version 3.2 kernels. Support wasn't added until version 3.5. But in that case 3.2.0-32 shouldn't work either, so there must be some missing information. Are you using the machine's built-in wireless or something like a USB wireless

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1248485] Re: No wireless connection after updates 12.04LTS

2013-11-08 Thread Seth Forshee
I can come up with no explanation why it would have been working before. That kernel doesn't have support for your wireless hardware. You've got a few options for getting it working. Probably the easiest is to install the backports drivers. For this you need to install the

Re: [Kernel-packages] [Bug 1248485] Re: No wireless connection after updates 12.04LTS

2013-11-11 Thread Seth Forshee
On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 12:07:16PM -, John Elliott wrote: Setting up oem-wireless-rt2x00-1044172-dkms (20120910compatwirelessstella6) ... Removing old oem-wireless-rt2x00-1044172-20120910compatwirelessstella6 DKMS files... You said you hadn't installed any additional software to get

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1297299] [NEW] iwlwifi firmware error: 0x00000038 | BAD_COMMAND

2014-03-25 Thread Seth Forshee
Public bug reported: Test bug ProblemType: IwlErrorDump DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04 Package: linux-image-3.13.0-19-generic ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-19.40-generic 3.13.6 Uname: Linux 3.13.0-19-generic x86_64 ApportVersion: 2.13.3-0ubuntu1+saf201403250746 Architecture: amd64

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1297370] [NEW] iwlwifi firmware error: 0x00000038 | BAD_COMMAND

2014-03-25 Thread Seth Forshee
: linux (Ubuntu) Importance: Low Assignee: Seth Forshee (sforshee) Status: Confirmed ** Tags: amd64 apport-iwlerrordump third-party-packages trusty ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu) Importance: Undecided = Low ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu) Status: New = Confirmed ** Changed

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1297370] Re: iwlwifi firmware error: 0x00000038 | BAD_COMMAND

2014-03-25 Thread Seth Forshee
** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu) Status: Confirmed = Invalid -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1297370 Title: iwlwifi firmware error: 0x0038 | BAD_COMMAND Status

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1297491] [NEW] iwlwifi firmware error: 0x00000038 | BAD_COMMAND

2014-03-25 Thread Seth Forshee
Public bug reported: TEST BUG ProblemType: KernelCrash DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04 Package: linux-image-3.13.0-19-generic 3.13.0-19.40 ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-19.40-generic 3.13.6 Uname: Linux 3.13.0-19-generic x86_64 ApportVersion: 2.13.3-0ubuntu1+saf201403250746 Architecture: amd64

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1300416] Re: Install of 14.04 fails with 3.13.0-20-generic kernel

2014-04-02 Thread Seth Forshee
I've got a build which I think will fix this problem. I'm trying to figure out how to get an iso for you to test (the instructions I've found so far seem to be out of date), but in case you have some other way to test I went ahead and posted the build to:

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1300416] Re: Install of 14.04 fails with 3.13.0-20-generic kernel

2014-04-02 Thread Seth Forshee
I'm still not having any luck in generating an is which will boot successfully on more than one of my systems. Seems like it shouldn't be this hard ... Anyway, maybe we'll try another avenue. When booting to the installer, if you add brcmsmac.blacklist=1 to the kernel boot options it should

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1284085] Re: unable to boot after install on 2013 macbook air

2014-04-03 Thread Seth Forshee
From a little searching I turned up: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=60635 which indicates that this is a problem related to Apple's bios- compatible boot support, so one workaround is to do a native EFI install (which I think is a better option most of the time). I'd suggest using a

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1301590] Re: System does not boot

2014-04-03 Thread Seth Forshee
Achille: Could you also try adding nr_cpus=1 to the boot options and see if this allows you to boot? -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1301590 Title: System does not boot

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1284085] Re: unable to boot after install on 2013 macbook air

2014-04-03 Thread Seth Forshee
So that's definitely a legacy bios installation, which really isn't recommended anymore for most systems because EFI boot usually works fine and exposes more functionality. I'd at least like to confirm that booting in native EFI works without nr_cpus=1. You should be able to just run 'sudo

Re: [Kernel-packages] [Bug 1284085] Re: unable to boot after install on 2013 macbook air

2014-04-04 Thread Seth Forshee
On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 01:28:23AM -, Richard Harding wrote: I was using the OSX daily image from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily- live/current/ which did not present the options for efi or legacy. The default 64-bit desktop image works fine on relatively recent Macs. Maybe some of the

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1300416] Re: Install of 14.04 fails with 3.13.0-20-generic kernel

2014-04-04 Thread Seth Forshee
I found out there was a patch pending upstream nearly the same as mine, so we went ahead and pulled it in. ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu) Status: Incomplete = Fix Committed -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to linux in

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1284085] Re: unable to boot after install on 2013 macbook air

2014-04-04 Thread Seth Forshee
If anyone still has the legacy bios install, I'd be interested to know if passing processor.nocst in the kernel boot options has any affect on the problem. Thanks! -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu.

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1301590] Re: System does not boot

2014-04-07 Thread Seth Forshee
It looks like you're running 32-bit, so this may help. commit c55d016f7a930dd1c995336017123b469a8c8f5a Author: Borislav Petkov b...@suse.de Date: Fri Feb 14 08:24:24 2014 +0100 x86/efi: Fix 32-bit fallout I put up a test build with this patch at

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1301590] Re: System does not boot

2014-04-07 Thread Seth Forshee
** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu) Status: Confirmed = In Progress ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu) Assignee: (unassigned) = Seth Forshee (sforshee) -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu. https

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1304477] [NEW] [Apple Inc. MacBookAir5, 1] suspend/resume failure

2014-04-08 Thread Seth Forshee
: Apple Inc. ** Affects: linux (Ubuntu) Importance: High Assignee: Seth Forshee (sforshee) Status: Confirmed ** Tags: amd64 apport-kerneloops resume suspend trusty ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu) Importance: Undecided = High ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu) Status: New

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1265436] Re: Saucy SRU: update firmware for 7260 / 3160 devices (Wilkins Peak)

2014-01-03 Thread Seth Forshee
Emmanuel has sent a pull request: http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux- wireless/msg116615.html -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to linux-firmware in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1265436 Title: Saucy SRU: update

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1265550] Re: linux-firmware: iwlwifi: add firmware for 7260 / 3160 devices

2014-01-03 Thread Seth Forshee
Tested the proposed update for precise with LBM for 3.12 and with the saucy LTS kernel. Works in both cases, except that the saucy LTS kernel supplies its own firmware which overrides the one from linux-firmware. Deleting the blob from the LTS kernel package gets the right copy, and it works as

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1263738] Re: login console 0 in user namespace container is not configured right

2014-01-13 Thread Seth Forshee
I tried the kernel patch from the mailing list, but that doesn't fix the problem. It does fix permissions for most /proc/pid/* files in setuid processes, but the console problems remain. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1263738] Re: login console 0 in user namespace container is not configured right

2014-01-13 Thread Seth Forshee
I straced bash, and I think this is what ends up causing job control to be disabled: ioctl(255, SNDRV_TIMER_IOCTL_SELECT or TIOCSPGRP, [1144]) = -1 ENOTTY (Inappropriate ioctl for device) 255 is stderr duped to a high fd, so it looks like whatever stderr is mapped to is not a tty. -- You

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1221618] Re: Bluetooth doesn't work after S3/S4 or after turning bluetooth on/off several times by toggle key

2014-01-14 Thread Seth Forshee
A few observations. The kernel messages pointed out here aren't come from anything in the precise kernel but rather from modules included via compat-drivers. I found that compat-wireless-3.10-dkms 3.10~rc1~2.20130618.sutton3 is installed, and if that's really coming from an rc1 kernel then there

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1263738] Re: login console 0 in user namespace container is not configured right

2014-01-14 Thread Seth Forshee
stderr actually is mapped to a pty. The problem seems to be that getty can't set /dev/console as its controlling terminal because it's already the controlling tty for init, which is in a different process group. Thus getty ends up with no controlling tty, this is inherited by bash, and thus bash

Re: [Kernel-packages] [Bug 1263738] Re: login console 0 in user namespace container is not configured right

2014-01-14 Thread Seth Forshee
On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 08:42:06PM -, Serge Hallyn wrote: Note that what you describe should also be the case if using a regular container sudo lxc-create -t ubuntu-cloud -n u1 sudo lxc-start -n u1 Is the process group of init somehow ending up different in the user

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1263738] Re: login console 0 in user namespace container is not configured right

2014-01-15 Thread Seth Forshee
The same basic sequence of events happens with and without user namespaces. init sheds its tty with setsid() but then opens /dev/console, which as the effect of making /dev/console it's controlling tty. Later getty also opens /dev/console and tries the TIOCSCTTY ioctl on the fd. At this point I

Re: [Kernel-packages] [Bug 1263738] Re: login console 0 in user namespace container is not configured right

2014-01-15 Thread Seth Forshee
On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 06:37:41PM -, Serge Hallyn wrote: If it is possible to get to the inode backing the tty at this point then we should be able to do inode_capable(tty_inode(tty), CAP_SYS_ADMIN), which should be safe and adquate right? But I dont' think we can get inode from tty.

Re: [Kernel-packages] [Bug 1263738] Re: login console 0 in user namespace container is not configured right

2014-01-15 Thread Seth Forshee
On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 08:18:04PM -, Serge Hallyn wrote: The ns_capable line doesn't check the capabilities of tty-session, but rather current's capabilities targeted toward the user namespace which owns tty-session. Okay, this was my fundamental misunderstanding. It makes sense now. This

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1263738] Re: login console 0 in user namespace container is not configured right

2014-01-15 Thread Seth Forshee
Serge: I've got a patch that fixes the problem. I've uploaded a test build along with the patch to: http://people.canonical.com/~sforshee/lp1263738/linux-3.13.0-3.18~lp1263738v201401152110/ I still want to verify that it's impossible to steal a tty from a process in a parent namespace, but if

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1269441] Re: Connection drops though network manager reports everything as OK

2014-01-16 Thread Seth Forshee
The kernel warning above does not seem to be typical based on the rest of the logs. What I observe are frequent connections to the network named Livebox-F5C8 which are quickly dropped with this message: wlan0: deauthenticated from a0:ec:80:4f:f5:c8 (Reason: 6) The Reason: 6 part indicates that

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1263738] Re: login console 0 in user namespace container is not configured right

2014-01-20 Thread Seth Forshee
** Also affects: upstart Importance: Undecided Status: New -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1263738 Title: login console 0 in user namespace container is not

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1263738] Re: login console 0 in user namespace container is not configured right

2014-01-20 Thread Seth Forshee
I've added an upstart task to the bug. After looking a bit more it seems upstart is trying to always open terminal devices with O_NOCTTY, so the tty ownership by init is likely unintentional and therefore a bug. I haven't been able to find where in upstart this is happening, but on the kernel side

Re: [Kernel-packages] [Bug 1263738] Re: login console 0 in user namespace container is not configured right

2014-01-21 Thread Seth Forshee
On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 06:30:24PM -, James Hunt wrote: Upstart does not open /dev/console without O_NOCTTY afaics. Are you sure your kernel debug is showing pid 1 is doing this? Yes, pid 1 within the namespace at least. I couldn't find anywhere where upstart opened /dev/console without

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1263738] Re: login console 0 in user namespace container is not configured right

2014-01-21 Thread Seth Forshee
that out, and in the meantime I'll attend to the kernel patch. ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Trusty) Assignee: (unassigned) = Seth Forshee (sforshee) -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1269441] Re: Connection drops though network manager reports everything as OK

2014-01-22 Thread Seth Forshee
I'm not necessarily implying that the access point is the problem. It might be, or it might be doing something legitimate that Linux doesn't handle correctly. But the problem definitely seems to be related to that specific AP. I'm going to need some more data. Please download the following

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1276238] Re: Wifi Connection Dropping/Need to reconnect

2014-02-04 Thread Seth Forshee
(Ubuntu) Assignee: (unassigned) = Seth Forshee (sforshee) -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1276238 Title: Wifi Connection Dropping/Need to reconnect Status in “linux

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1276238] Re: Wifi Connection Dropping/Need to reconnect

2014-02-05 Thread Seth Forshee
Thanks. The data is a little incomplete as some of the wireless frames don't seem to be passed up from the driver, but what I do see (excessive amounts of frame retransmissions) seems to indicate that your wireless adapter has difficulty communicating with the APs. The problems themselves are

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1265436] Re: Saucy SRU: update firmware for 7260 / 3160 devices (Wilkins Peak)

2014-02-05 Thread Seth Forshee
I tested with both 3160 and 7260 cards. In both cases saucy's 3.11 kernel still loads the 22.1.7.0 firmware, as expected. This firmware is unchanged since linux-firmware 1.116.1, so the behavior is predictably identical. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1275879] Re: Kernel panic

2014-02-10 Thread Seth Forshee
Chili_Man: I've been looking at the xen-netfront driver which produces the panic, and as far as I can tell this is a bug elsewhere in the networking stack and not in xen-netfront. Exactly where the problem comes from is still unknown, as the panic is disconnected from the source of the bad data.

Re: [Kernel-packages] [Bug 1221618] Re: Bluetooth doesn't work after S3/S4 or after turning bluetooth on/off several times by toggle key

2014-02-12 Thread Seth Forshee
On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 06:42:13AM -, Bruce.Ma wrote: Test this with the latest daily of trusty 3.14.0-031400rc2-generic on T540-1(Kome-T-1), didn't see this issue. In that case you should be able to use the mainline builds to find roughly where the fix was introduced and then use git

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1279308] Re: [MacBook Air 6, 2] screen backlight brightness and keyboard light turn into fully-on after Grub boot with i915 driver

2014-02-13 Thread Seth Forshee
I looked into the screen brightness issue a little bit a while back. The reason that the brightness gets set to maximum at boot is that the firmware doesn't initialize some state memory with the brightness at boot, so when the brightness is read from the firmware it gets back a value which

Re: [Kernel-packages] [Bug 1279308] Re: [MacBook Air 6, 2] screen backlight brightness and keyboard light turn into fully-on after Grub boot with i915 driver

2014-02-14 Thread Seth Forshee
On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 11:11:50PM -, Yuan Chao wrote: Joseph: Thanks a lot for the following ups. Actually, I forgot to mention that I've tried acpi_backlight=vendor on 13.10 (as my friend $4 suggested) and the same problem persists. As to the keyboard light, it's set to maximum at login

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1275879] Re: Kernel panic

2014-02-14 Thread Seth Forshee
Thanks for getting those logs. Unfortunately I'm still not able to reproduce the problem. The logs show that the data which triggers the panic is read from a pipe, but the problem happens on the other side, before or when the data enters the pipe. I've been looking at code and haven't identified

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1275879] Re: Kernel panic

2014-02-21 Thread Seth Forshee
I found some code that looks suspicious. The kernel below has a fix, so please try it out and let me know if it resolves the issue. The kernel also contains the extra debugging from the previous build (with a fix for an off-by-one error), so if the problem does happen again please give me the

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1282302] Re: deadlock when unmounting nfs shares in trusty

2014-02-24 Thread Seth Forshee
Steve: I don't see the soft lockup an any of the attachments. The next time this happens, could you capture dmesg and attach it? Thanks. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu.

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1282302] Re: deadlock when unmounting nfs shares in trusty

2014-02-25 Thread Seth Forshee
Hmm, I've got a suspicion it might be this: commit c297c8b99b07f496ff69a719cfb8e8fe852832ed Author: Andy Adamson and...@netapp.com Date: Wed Nov 20 13:00:17 2013 -0500 SUNRPC: do not fail gss proc NULL calls with EACCES I'm not familiar with this code at all, but I do see a possibility

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1282302] Re: deadlock when unmounting nfs shares in trusty

2014-02-25 Thread Seth Forshee
Steve: Have you tested any trusty kernels newer than 3.13.0-8.28? Because starting with 3.13.0-9.29 there's a stable commit that seems like it's probably a fix for your problem. commit 6b75686cac9eadd03ebc3b195bdd5bc03b50419a Author: Weston Andros Adamson d...@netapp.com Date: Tue Dec 17

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1278531] Re: nested kvm fails with trusty and upstream kernels

2014-02-28 Thread Seth Forshee
I saw https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/2/27/819 come across lkml and am assuming it's meant to be a fix for this issue. Since Stefan's out today I went ahead and made a test build so you can see if it fixes the issue.

[Kernel-packages] [Bug 1278531] Re: nested kvm fails with trusty and upstream kernels

2014-02-28 Thread Seth Forshee
The way I understood smb's comments that one just reverted the patch identified by the bisect. I can't confirm that with him right now though, and it doesn't look like he included whatever patches he had added for us to look at. My build includes a patch which was submitted upstream within the

  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   >