[Lift] Re: Jetty or Tomcat, Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?

2009-11-23 Thread monty chen
I am uging lift develop a  projectI, I want to deploy my project using
jetty instead of tomcat, so i test jetty 6.1.22.

my notebook: lenovo Y330(cpu: Core2 Duo p7350 2GHz, mem: 3G)
my os: debian lenny for amd64
jdk: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_17-b04)

step 1: download jetty 6.1.22 from  
http://dist.codehaus.org/jetty/jetty-6.1.22/jetty-6.1.22.zip

step 2: unzip jetty 6.1.22 in my home dir.

setp3: set environment var
export JAVA_OPTS=-Drun.mode=production -server -Xmx2048

setp3: run jetty (cd jetty-6.1.22/ ; java -jar start.jar  )

test 1: start -

test the Hello World Servlet  example  of jetty-6.1.22,
the example url: http://localhost:8080/hello/

mo...@den:~/jetty-6.1.22$ ab -n 1 -c 300 http://localhost:8080/hello/
This is ApacheBench, Version 2.3 $Revision: 655654 $
Copyright 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, http://www.zeustech.net/
Licensed to The Apache Software Foundation, http://www.apache.org/

Benchmarking localhost (be patient)
Completed 1000 requests
Completed 2000 requests
Completed 3000 requests
Completed 4000 requests
Completed 5000 requests
Completed 6000 requests
Completed 7000 requests
Completed 8000 requests
Completed 9000 requests
Completed 1 requests
Finished 1 requests


Server Software:Jetty(6.1.22)
Server Hostname:localhost
Server Port:8080

Document Path:  /hello/
Document Length:39 bytes

Concurrency Level:  300
Time taken for tests:   10.344 seconds
Complete requests:  1
Failed requests:0
Write errors:   0
Total transferred:  1060212 bytes
HTML transferred:   390078 bytes
Requests per second:966.72 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request:   310.329 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:   1.034 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent
requests)
Transfer rate:  100.09 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
  min  mean[+/-sd] median   max
Connect:0   12 152.7  23000
Processing:   200  293  53.0266 566
Waiting:1   93  53.6 65 364
Total:206  305 159.12713251

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
  50%271
  66%338
  75%345
  80%350
  90%359
  95%366
  98%378
  99%434
 100%   3251 (longest request)

===the test1 result is good!  =
Failed requests:0
Requests per second:966.72 [#/sec] (mean)

test 1: end 

test 2: start -
test the Request Dump JSP exmaple of jetty-6.1.22,
the example url: http://localhost:8080/snoop.jsp

mo...@den:~/jetty-6.1.22$ ab -n 50 -c 3 http://localhost:8080/snoop.jsp
This is ApacheBench, Version 2.3 $Revision: 655654 $
Copyright 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, http://www.zeustech.net/
Licensed to The Apache Software Foundation, http://www.apache.org/

Benchmarking localhost (be patient).done


Server Software:Jetty(6.1.22)
Server Hostname:localhost
Server Port:8080

Document Path:  /snoop.jsp
Document Length:2249 bytes

Concurrency Level:  3
Time taken for tests:   0.044 seconds
Complete requests:  50
Failed requests:23
   (Connect: 0, Receive: 0, Length: 23, Exceptions: 0)
Write errors:   0
Total transferred:  124547 bytes
HTML transferred:   114676 bytes
Requests per second:1132.76 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request:   2.648 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:   0.883 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent
requests)
Transfer rate:  2755.50 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
  min  mean[+/-sd] median   max
Connect:00   0.0  0   0
Processing: 13   2.9  1  12
Waiting:12   2.9  1  12
Total:  13   2.9  1  12

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
  50%  1
  66%  3
  75%  3
  80%  3
  90%  9
  95% 10
  98% 12
  99% 12
 100% 12 (longest request)

===the test2  result is bad!  =
Failed requests:23
   (Connect: 0, Receive: 0, Length: 23, Exceptions: 0)
Requests per second:1132.76 [#/sec] (mean)

why the Request Dump JSP exmaple testing result is failed, so less
Number of requests(50) and less concurrency (3),

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
Lift group.
To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.




Re: [Lift] Re: Jetty or Tomcat, Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?

2009-11-23 Thread Jeremy Day
All,

I'm admittedly quite a n00b here and I have  very little Maven experience.
Can someone provide a POM for the Nginx + Jetty configuration?  I think that
I would find it quite helpful.  Thanks.

Jeremy

2009/11/20 Timothy Perrett timo...@getintheloop.eu

 Your missing a trick here - there is a fork of nginx done by Ezra that
 includes a fair load balencer.

 Google for it and you'll find the link as I don't have it handy - this
 version would remove the need for your intermediate proxy.

 Cheers, Tim

 Sent from my iPhone

 On 20 Nov 2009, at 06:59, monty chen montyc...@qq.com wrote:

  Hi,David Pollk!
 
  Nginx only comes with a round-robin balancer and a hash-based
  balancer, so if a request takes a while to load, Nginx will start
  routing requests to backends that are already processing requests --
  as
  a result, some backends will be queueing up requests while some
  backends will remain idle. You will get an uneven load distribution,
  and the unevenness will increase with the amount of load subject to
  the load-balancer.
 
  Haproxy as a LB can:
  1: Plenty of load-balancing algorithms, including a least
  connections strategy that picks the backend with the fewest pending
  connections. Which happens to be just what we want.
 
  2:  Backends can be sanity- and health-checked by URL to avoid routing
  requests to brain-damaged backends. (It can even stagger these checks
  to avoid spikes.)
 
  3: Requests can be routed based on all sorts of things: cookies, URL
  substrings, client IP, etc.
 
  So, I use nginx + haproxy + tomcat(jetty).
 
 
  On 11月20日, 上午11时27分, David Pollak
  feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com
  wrote:
  I recommend Nginx + Jetty.
 
  Apache is the worst front end for this situation... it can only
  support a
  few hundred simultaneous connections before it falls over.  Ngnix
  on the
  other hand can proxy tens of thousands.
 
  Jetty's continuations make it a much better choice than Tomcat.
  You can
  have thousands of open Comet request to a Jetty instance where
  Tomcat is
  capped at a couple of hundred.
 
  Once the Servlet 3.0 spec in implemented in Glassfish, etc., Lift
  will
  support 3.0 continuations and any 3.0 container will have the same
  scaling
  characteristics that Jetty currently does.
 
 
 
  On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Neil.Lv anim...@gmail.com wrote:
  Hi all,
 
  I have a silly question about the deploy.
 
  Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?
  Jetty or Tomcat ?
 
  I want to use the Comet to push the data in the app.
 
  * Apache + Tomcat ?
  * Apache + what  ?
  * Nginx + what ?
 
  Thanks for any suggestion !
 
  Cheers,
  Neil
 
  --
 
  You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
  Groups
  Lift group.
  To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
  To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
  liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.comliftweb%2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com
 liftweb
  %2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com
  .
  For more options, visit this group at
  http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.
 
  --
  Lift, the simply functional web frameworkhttp://liftweb.net
  Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890
  Follow me:http://twitter.com/dpp
  Surf the harmonics
 
  --
 
  You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
  Groups Lift group.
  To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
  To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
 liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.comliftweb%2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com
  .
  For more options, visit this group at
 http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=
  .
 
 
 

 --

 You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
 Lift group.
 To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
 To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
 liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.comliftweb%2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com
 .
 For more options, visit this group at
 http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.




--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
Lift group.
To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.




Re: [Lift] Re: Jetty or Tomcat, Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?

2009-11-23 Thread Timothy Perrett
Ummm, there is no pom for this - its not that kind of thing. 

NGINX is a front end C application - if you want the fair load balencer, just 
download the module and compile into your NGINX build.

Cheers, Tim 

On 20 Nov 2009, at 10:59, Jeremy Day wrote:

 All,
 
 I'm admittedly quite a n00b here and I have  very little Maven experience.  
 Can someone provide a POM for the Nginx + Jetty configuration?  I think that 
 I would find it quite helpful.  Thanks.
 
 Jeremy
 
 2009/11/20 Timothy Perrett timo...@getintheloop.eu
 Your missing a trick here - there is a fork of nginx done by Ezra that
 includes a fair load balencer.
 
 Google for it and you'll find the link as I don't have it handy - this
 version would remove the need for your intermediate proxy.
 
 Cheers, Tim
 
 Sent from my iPhone
 
 On 20 Nov 2009, at 06:59, monty chen montyc...@qq.com wrote:
 
  Hi,David Pollk!
 
  Nginx only comes with a round-robin balancer and a hash-based
  balancer, so if a request takes a while to load, Nginx will start
  routing requests to backends that are already processing requests --
  as
  a result, some backends will be queueing up requests while some
  backends will remain idle. You will get an uneven load distribution,
  and the unevenness will increase with the amount of load subject to
  the load-balancer.
 
  Haproxy as a LB can:
  1: Plenty of load-balancing algorithms, including a least
  connections strategy that picks the backend with the fewest pending
  connections. Which happens to be just what we want.
 
  2:  Backends can be sanity- and health-checked by URL to avoid routing
  requests to brain-damaged backends. (It can even stagger these checks
  to avoid spikes.)
 
  3: Requests can be routed based on all sorts of things: cookies, URL
  substrings, client IP, etc.
 
  So, I use nginx + haproxy + tomcat(jetty).
 
 
  On 11月20日, 上午11时27分, David Pollak
  feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com
  wrote:
  I recommend Nginx + Jetty.
 
  Apache is the worst front end for this situation... it can only
  support a
  few hundred simultaneous connections before it falls over.  Ngnix
  on the
  other hand can proxy tens of thousands.
 
  Jetty's continuations make it a much better choice than Tomcat.
  You can
  have thousands of open Comet request to a Jetty instance where
  Tomcat is
  capped at a couple of hundred.
 
  Once the Servlet 3.0 spec in implemented in Glassfish, etc., Lift
  will
  support 3.0 continuations and any 3.0 container will have the same
  scaling
  characteristics that Jetty currently does.
 
 
 
  On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Neil.Lv anim...@gmail.com wrote:
  Hi all,
 
  I have a silly question about the deploy.
 
  Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?
  Jetty or Tomcat ?
 
  I want to use the Comet to push the data in the app.
 
  * Apache + Tomcat ?
  * Apache + what  ?
  * Nginx + what ?
 
  Thanks for any suggestion !
 
  Cheers,
  Neil
 
  --
 
  You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
  Groups
  Lift group.
  To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
  To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
  liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.comliftweb
  %2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com
  .
  For more options, visit this group at
  http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.
 
  --
  Lift, the simply functional web frameworkhttp://liftweb.net
  Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890
  Follow me:http://twitter.com/dpp
  Surf the harmonics
 
  --
 
  You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
  Groups Lift group.
  To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
  To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
  liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
  .
  For more options, visit this group at 
  http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=
  .
 
 
 
 
 --
 
 You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
 Lift group.
 To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
 To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
 liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
 For more options, visit this group at 
 http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.
 
 
 
 
 --
 
 You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
 Lift group.
 To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
 To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
 liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
 For more options, visit this group at 
 http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
Lift group.
To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.




Re: [Lift] Re: Jetty or Tomcat, Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?

2009-11-21 Thread David Pollak
2009/11/20 monty chen montyc...@qq.com

 David Pollk, thanks you reply!

 Let us talk about tomcat or jetty Which web container is recommended
 to use to deploy the Lift app.

  I remember your reply of Derek Chen-Becker:

 On 5月5日, 上午5时59分, David Pollak feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com wrote:
  Derek,
  Please note that about half of the requests failed in Jetty.  Jetty does
 not
  seem to be explicitly closing the NIO sockets leading to an out of IO
  descriptor problem... that's why I used Tomcat.
 
  Thanks,
 
  David
 

 But at now why you recommend Nginx + Jetty ?


The particular version of Jetty I used for the test had this problem.  The
problem manifest during significant churn of http requests ( 2K serviced
per second).  This is different from the long polling scenario.  Further, if
you're serving 2K/second sustained, you are in the top 1% of all web
sites... you're in Twitter/LinkedIn territory.

Jetty is the best option for Lift Comet (long polling) apps.




  On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Derek Chen-Becker dchenbec...@gmail.com
 wrote:
 
 
 
   Just to throw in another data point, I ran the tests on my AMD Phenom
 X2
   720 (3 cores, 6GB of RAM):
 
   I generated the archetype exactly as you have it here.
 
   Ran mvn -Drun.mode=production -Djetty.port=9090 jetty:run
 
   Output from Apache Bench:
 
   $ ab -c 10 -n 2http://192.168.2.254:9090/user_mgt/login
   This is ApacheBench, Version 2.3 $Revision: 655654 $
   Copyright 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd,
 http://www.zeustech.net/
   Licensed to The Apache Software Foundation,http://www.apache.org/
 
   Benchmarking 192.168.2.254 (be patient)
   Completed 2000 requests
   Completed 4000 requests
   Completed 6000 requests
   Completed 8000 requests
   Completed 1 requests
   Completed 12000 requests
   Completed 14000 requests
   Completed 16000 requests
   Completed 18000 requests
   Completed 2 requests
   Finished 2 requests
 
   Server Software:Jetty(6.1.16)
   Server Hostname:192.168.2.254
   Server Port:9090
 
   Document Path:  /user_mgt/login
   Document Length:3635 bytes
 
   Concurrency Level:  10
   Time taken for tests:   37.110 seconds
   Complete requests:  2
   Failed requests:10191
  (Connect: 0, Receive: 0, Length: 10191, Exceptions: 0)
   Write errors:   0
   Total transferred:  79276096 bytes
   HTML transferred:   72626584 bytes
   Requests per second:538.94 [#/sec] (mean)
   Time per request:   18.555 [ms] (mean)

 --

 You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
 Lift group.
 To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
 To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
 liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.comliftweb%2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com
 .
 For more options, visit this group at
 http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.





-- 
Lift, the simply functional web framework http://liftweb.net
Beginning Scala http://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890
Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Surf the harmonics

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
Lift group.
To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.




Re: [Lift] Re: Jetty or Tomcat, Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?

2009-11-20 Thread Timothy Perrett
Your missing a trick here - there is a fork of nginx done by Ezra that  
includes a fair load balencer.

Google for it and you'll find the link as I don't have it handy - this  
version would remove the need for your intermediate proxy.

Cheers, Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 20 Nov 2009, at 06:59, monty chen montyc...@qq.com wrote:

 Hi,David Pollk!

 Nginx only comes with a round-robin balancer and a hash-based
 balancer, so if a request takes a while to load, Nginx will start
 routing requests to backends that are already processing requests --  
 as
 a result, some backends will be queueing up requests while some
 backends will remain idle. You will get an uneven load distribution,
 and the unevenness will increase with the amount of load subject to
 the load-balancer.

 Haproxy as a LB can:
 1: Plenty of load-balancing algorithms, including a least
 connections strategy that picks the backend with the fewest pending
 connections. Which happens to be just what we want.

 2:  Backends can be sanity- and health-checked by URL to avoid routing
 requests to brain-damaged backends. (It can even stagger these checks
 to avoid spikes.)

 3: Requests can be routed based on all sorts of things: cookies, URL
 substrings, client IP, etc.

 So, I use nginx + haproxy + tomcat(jetty).


 On 11月20日, 上午11时27分, David Pollak  
 feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com
 wrote:
 I recommend Nginx + Jetty.

 Apache is the worst front end for this situation... it can only  
 support a
 few hundred simultaneous connections before it falls over.  Ngnix  
 on the
 other hand can proxy tens of thousands.

 Jetty's continuations make it a much better choice than Tomcat.   
 You can
 have thousands of open Comet request to a Jetty instance where  
 Tomcat is
 capped at a couple of hundred.

 Once the Servlet 3.0 spec in implemented in Glassfish, etc., Lift  
 will
 support 3.0 continuations and any 3.0 container will have the same  
 scaling
 characteristics that Jetty currently does.



 On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Neil.Lv anim...@gmail.com wrote:
 Hi all,

 I have a silly question about the deploy.

 Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?
 Jetty or Tomcat ?

 I want to use the Comet to push the data in the app.

 * Apache + Tomcat ?
 * Apache + what  ?
 * Nginx + what ?

 Thanks for any suggestion !

 Cheers,
 Neil

 --

 You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google  
 Groups
 Lift group.
 To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
 To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
 liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.comliftweb 
 %2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com
 .
 For more options, visit this group at
 http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.

 --
 Lift, the simply functional web frameworkhttp://liftweb.net
 Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890
 Follow me:http://twitter.com/dpp
 Surf the harmonics

 --

 You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google  
 Groups Lift group.
 To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
 To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
 liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com 
 .
 For more options, visit this group at 
 http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl= 
 .




--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
Lift group.
To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.




Re: [Lift] Re: Jetty or Tomcat, Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?

2009-11-20 Thread Timothy Perrett
Ah yes, that's the one. Engine yard put up some money for someone to  
build it and if memory serves it was done by some Russian dude. I  
forget, but I've been using this fair load balencer in production for  
about 2 years. It's solid.

Cheers, Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 20 Nov 2009, at 12:07, monty chen montyc...@qq.com wrote:

 thanks Timothy Perrett!

 is it you say a fork of nginx done by Ezra Zygmuntowicz  :

 http://github.com/gnosek/nginx-upstream-fair/

 On 11月20日, 下午5时33分, Timothy Perrett  
 timo...@getintheloop.eu wrote:
 Your missing a trick here - there is a fork of nginx done by Ezra  
 that
 includes a fair load balencer.

 Google for it and you'll find the link as I don't have it handy -  
 this
 version would remove the need for your intermediate proxy.

 Cheers, Tim

 Sent from my iPhone


 --

 You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google  
 Groups Lift group.
 To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
 To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
 liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com 
 .
 For more options, visit this group at 
 http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl= 
 .




--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
Lift group.
To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.




Re: [Lift] Re: Jetty or Tomcat, Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?

2009-11-20 Thread David Pollak
2009/11/19 monty chen montyc...@qq.com

 Hi,David Pollk!

 Nginx only comes with a round-robin balancer and a hash-based
 balancer, so if a request takes a while to load, Nginx will start
 routing requests to backends that are already processing requests -- as
 a result, some backends will be queueing up requests while some
 backends will remain idle. You will get an uneven load distribution,
 and the unevenness will increase with the amount of load subject to
 the load-balancer.

 Haproxy as a LB can:


Can it deal with AJP13?  That should give any statistics about back-end
health.

Can it deal with 100,000 open connections?  Looking at the docs, it seems to
eschew keep-alive and I'm wondering how it deals with long polling.


 1: Plenty of load-balancing algorithms, including a least
 connections strategy that picks the backend with the fewest pending
 connections. Which happens to be just what we want.

 2:  Backends can be sanity- and health-checked by URL to avoid routing
 requests to brain-damaged backends. (It can even stagger these checks
 to avoid spikes.)

 3: Requests can be routed based on all sorts of things: cookies, URL
 substrings, client IP, etc.

 So, I use nginx + haproxy + tomcat(jetty).


 On 11月20日, 上午11时27分, David Pollak feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com
 wrote:
  I recommend Nginx + Jetty.
 
  Apache is the worst front end for this situation... it can only support a
  few hundred simultaneous connections before it falls over.  Ngnix on the
  other hand can proxy tens of thousands.
 
  Jetty's continuations make it a much better choice than Tomcat.  You can
  have thousands of open Comet request to a Jetty instance where Tomcat is
  capped at a couple of hundred.
 
  Once the Servlet 3.0 spec in implemented in Glassfish, etc., Lift will
  support 3.0 continuations and any 3.0 container will have the same
 scaling
  characteristics that Jetty currently does.
 
 
 
  On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Neil.Lv anim...@gmail.com wrote:
   Hi all,
 
I have a silly question about the deploy.
 
Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?
   Jetty or Tomcat ?
 
I want to use the Comet to push the data in the app.
 
* Apache + Tomcat ?
* Apache + what  ?
* Nginx + what ?
 
Thanks for any suggestion !
 
   Cheers,
Neil
 
   --
 
   You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
 Groups
   Lift group.
   To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
   To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
   liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.comliftweb%2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com
 liftweb%2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.comliftweb%252bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com
 
   .
   For more options, visit this group at
  http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.
 
  --
  Lift, the simply functional web frameworkhttp://liftweb.net
  Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890
  Follow me:http://twitter.com/dpp
  Surf the harmonics

 --

 You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
 Lift group.
 To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
 To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
 liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.comliftweb%2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com
 .
 For more options, visit this group at
 http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.





-- 
Lift, the simply functional web framework http://liftweb.net
Beginning Scala http://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890
Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Surf the harmonics

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
Lift group.
To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.




[Lift] Re: Jetty or Tomcat, Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?

2009-11-20 Thread monty chen
David Pollk, thanks you reply!

Let us talk about tomcat or jetty Which web container is recommended
to use to deploy the Lift app.

 I remember your reply of Derek Chen-Becker:

On 5月5日, 上午5时59分, David Pollak feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com wrote:
 Derek,
 Please note that about half of the requests failed in Jetty.  Jetty does not
 seem to be explicitly closing the NIO sockets leading to an out of IO
 descriptor problem... that's why I used Tomcat.

 Thanks,

 David


But at now why you recommend Nginx + Jetty ?


 On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Derek Chen-Becker 
 dchenbec...@gmail.comwrote:



  Just to throw in another data point, I ran the tests on my AMD Phenom X2
  720 (3 cores, 6GB of RAM):

  I generated the archetype exactly as you have it here.

  Ran mvn -Drun.mode=production -Djetty.port=9090 jetty:run

  Output from Apache Bench:

  $ ab -c 10 -n 2http://192.168.2.254:9090/user_mgt/login
  This is ApacheBench, Version 2.3 $Revision: 655654 $
  Copyright 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd,http://www.zeustech.net/
  Licensed to The Apache Software Foundation,http://www.apache.org/

  Benchmarking 192.168.2.254 (be patient)
  Completed 2000 requests
  Completed 4000 requests
  Completed 6000 requests
  Completed 8000 requests
  Completed 1 requests
  Completed 12000 requests
  Completed 14000 requests
  Completed 16000 requests
  Completed 18000 requests
  Completed 2 requests
  Finished 2 requests

  Server Software:Jetty(6.1.16)
  Server Hostname:192.168.2.254
  Server Port:9090

  Document Path:  /user_mgt/login
  Document Length:3635 bytes

  Concurrency Level:  10
  Time taken for tests:   37.110 seconds
  Complete requests:  2
  Failed requests:10191
 (Connect: 0, Receive: 0, Length: 10191, Exceptions: 0)
  Write errors:   0
  Total transferred:  79276096 bytes
  HTML transferred:   72626584 bytes
  Requests per second:538.94 [#/sec] (mean)
  Time per request:   18.555 [ms] (mean)

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
Lift group.
To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.




[Lift] Re: Jetty or Tomcat, Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?

2009-11-19 Thread monty chen
LVS + Nginx + Haproxy + Tomcat


On 11月20日, 上午9时44分, Margaret mawei...@gmail.com wrote:
  * Apache + Tomcat

 I deploy a comet actor demo on tomcat
 the url ishttp://maweis.com:8080
 you can try it?

 -
 mawei...@gmail.com
 13585201588http://maweis.com

 On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Neil.Lv anim...@gmail.com wrote:
  Hi all,

   I have a silly question about the deploy.

   Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?
  Jetty or Tomcat ?

   I want to use the Comet to push the data in the app.

   * Apache + Tomcat ?
   * Apache + what  ?
   * Nginx + what ?

   Thanks for any suggestion !

  Cheers,
   Neil

  --

  You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
  Lift group.
  To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
  To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
  liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
  For more options, visit this group 
  athttp://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
Lift group.
To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.




Re: [Lift] Re: Jetty or Tomcat, Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?

2009-11-19 Thread Margaret
perfect enviorment

WHO will be the database ?


-
mawei...@gmail.com
13585201588
http://maweis.com




2009/11/20 monty chen montyc...@qq.com:
 LVS + Nginx + Haproxy + Tomcat


 On 11月20日, 上午9时44分, Margaret mawei...@gmail.com wrote:
  * Apache + Tomcat

 I deploy a comet actor demo on tomcat
 the url ishttp://maweis.com:8080
 you can try it?

 -
 mawei...@gmail.com
 13585201588http://maweis.com

 On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Neil.Lv anim...@gmail.com wrote:
  Hi all,

   I have a silly question about the deploy.

   Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?
  Jetty or Tomcat ?

   I want to use the Comet to push the data in the app.

   * Apache + Tomcat ?
   * Apache + what  ?
   * Nginx + what ?

   Thanks for any suggestion !

  Cheers,
   Neil

  --

  You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
  Lift group.
  To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
  To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
  liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
  For more options, visit this group 
  athttp://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.

 --

 You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
 Lift group.
 To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
 To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
 liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
 For more options, visit this group at 
 http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.




--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
Lift group.
To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.




[Lift] Re: Jetty or Tomcat, Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?

2009-11-19 Thread monty chen

 mysql( for
transaction data)
   /
  /
LVS + Nginx + Haproxy + Tomcat   - - - memcache ( for cache)
 \
  \
 cassandra (for
web 2.0 data)

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
Lift group.
To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.




[Lift] Re: Jetty or Tomcat, Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?

2009-11-19 Thread monty chen
Hi, Margaret,  Store engine use: mysq + cassandra , and plus memcached
for cache:


 mysql
( transaction data)
   /
  /
LVS + Nginx + Haproxy + Tomcat   - - - memcache ( for cache)
 \
  \
 cassandra (for
web 2.0 data)

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
Lift group.
To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.




Re: [Lift] Re: Jetty or Tomcat, Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?

2009-11-19 Thread Margaret
I will go and look  cassandra

-
mawei...@gmail.com
13585201588
http://maweis.com




On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 10:17 AM, monty chen montyc...@qq.com wrote:
 Hi, Margaret,  Store engine use: mysq + cassandra , and plus memcached
 for cache:


                                                     mysql
 ( transaction data)
                                                   /
                                                  /
 LVS + Nginx + Haproxy + Tomcat   - - - memcache ( for cache)
                                                 \
                                                  \
                                                     cassandra (for
 web 2.0 data)

 --

 You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
 Lift group.
 To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
 To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
 liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
 For more options, visit this group at 
 http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.




--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
Lift group.
To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.




Re: [Lift] Re: Jetty or Tomcat, Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?

2009-11-19 Thread Margaret
would you like give us the url of  your application website?
-
mawei...@gmail.com
13585201588
http://maweis.com




On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Margaret mawei...@gmail.com wrote:
 I will go and look  cassandra

 -
 mawei...@gmail.com
 13585201588
 http://maweis.com




 On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 10:17 AM, monty chen montyc...@qq.com wrote:
 Hi, Margaret,  Store engine use: mysq + cassandra , and plus memcached
 for cache:


                                                     mysql
 ( transaction data)
                                                   /
                                                  /
 LVS + Nginx + Haproxy + Tomcat   - - - memcache ( for cache)
                                                 \
                                                  \
                                                     cassandra (for
 web 2.0 data)

 --

 You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
 Lift group.
 To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
 To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
 liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
 For more options, visit this group at 
 http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.





--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
Lift group.
To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.




[Lift] Re: Jetty or Tomcat, Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?

2009-11-19 Thread Neil.Lv

  If i use LVS + Nginx + Haproxy + Tomcat  to deploy the app, Can it
work with Apache at simultaneously ?

Cheers,
  Neil

On Nov 20, 9:35 am, Neil.Lv anim...@gmail.com wrote:
 Hi all,

   I have a silly question about the deploy.

   Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?
 Jetty or Tomcat ?

   I want to use the Comet to push the data in the app.

   * Apache + Tomcat ?
   * Apache + what  ?
   * Nginx + what ?

   Thanks for any suggestion !

 Cheers,
   Neil

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
Lift group.
To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.




[Lift] Re: Jetty or Tomcat, Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?

2009-11-19 Thread philip
Hi Neil,

I use maven to build and Jetty in the maven, so I run from my IDE the
maven to run the Jetty. Well it works well for me.
I also have SEAM framework on my Jetty as well as part of the setup.

Philip

On 11月20日, 上午9時35分, Neil.Lv anim...@gmail.com wrote:
 Hi all,

   I have a silly question about the deploy.

   Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?
 Jetty or Tomcat ?

   I want to use the Comet to push the data in the app.

   * Apache + Tomcat ?
   * Apache + what  ?
   * Nginx + what ?

   Thanks for any suggestion !

 Cheers,
   Neil

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
Lift group.
To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.




Re: [Lift] Re: Jetty or Tomcat, Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?

2009-11-19 Thread Margaret
jetty is a lightweight container and can be webserver, in the cloud
computing , jetty is much agile for system start , restart.
-
mawei...@gmail.com
13585201588
http://maweis.com




On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 10:58 AM, philip philip14...@gmail.com wrote:
 Hi Neil,

 I use maven to build and Jetty in the maven, so I run from my IDE the
 maven to run the Jetty. Well it works well for me.
 I also have SEAM framework on my Jetty as well as part of the setup.

 Philip

 On 11月20日, 上午9時35分, Neil.Lv anim...@gmail.com wrote:
 Hi all,

   I have a silly question about the deploy.

   Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?
 Jetty or Tomcat ?

   I want to use the Comet to push the data in the app.

   * Apache + Tomcat ?
   * Apache + what  ?
   * Nginx + what ?

   Thanks for any suggestion !

 Cheers,
   Neil

 --

 You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
 Lift group.
 To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
 To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
 liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
 For more options, visit this group at 
 http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.




--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
Lift group.
To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.




[Lift] Re: Jetty or Tomcat, Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?

2009-11-19 Thread monty chen
Hi,David Pollk!

Nginx only comes with a round-robin balancer and a hash-based
balancer, so if a request takes a while to load, Nginx will start
routing requests to backends that are already processing requests -- as
a result, some backends will be queueing up requests while some
backends will remain idle. You will get an uneven load distribution,
and the unevenness will increase with the amount of load subject to
the load-balancer.

Haproxy as a LB can:
1: Plenty of load-balancing algorithms, including a least
connections strategy that picks the backend with the fewest pending
connections. Which happens to be just what we want.

2:  Backends can be sanity- and health-checked by URL to avoid routing
requests to brain-damaged backends. (It can even stagger these checks
to avoid spikes.)

3: Requests can be routed based on all sorts of things: cookies, URL
substrings, client IP, etc.

So, I use nginx + haproxy + tomcat(jetty).


On 11月20日, 上午11时27分, David Pollak feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com
wrote:
 I recommend Nginx + Jetty.

 Apache is the worst front end for this situation... it can only support a
 few hundred simultaneous connections before it falls over.  Ngnix on the
 other hand can proxy tens of thousands.

 Jetty's continuations make it a much better choice than Tomcat.  You can
 have thousands of open Comet request to a Jetty instance where Tomcat is
 capped at a couple of hundred.

 Once the Servlet 3.0 spec in implemented in Glassfish, etc., Lift will
 support 3.0 continuations and any 3.0 container will have the same scaling
 characteristics that Jetty currently does.



 On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Neil.Lv anim...@gmail.com wrote:
  Hi all,

   I have a silly question about the deploy.

   Which web container is recommended to use to deploy the Lift app ?
  Jetty or Tomcat ?

   I want to use the Comet to push the data in the app.

   * Apache + Tomcat ?
   * Apache + what  ?
   * Nginx + what ?

   Thanks for any suggestion !

  Cheers,
   Neil

  --

  You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
  Lift group.
  To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
  To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
  liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.comliftweb%2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com
  .
  For more options, visit this group at
 http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.

 --
 Lift, the simply functional web frameworkhttp://liftweb.net
 Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890
 Follow me:http://twitter.com/dpp
 Surf the harmonics

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
Lift group.
To post to this group, send email to lift...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
liftweb+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=.