It seems that things got messed up somehow with the tarball. I downloaded
and there are problems compiling it under Solaris.
It seems that there is a problem with the following line in the configure
fribidi_config_version=`$FRIBIDI_CONFIG $fribidi_config_args \
--version | sed 's/[^0-9]*\([0-9]*\).\([0-9]*\).\([0-9]*\)\..*/\1.\2.\3/'`
For some reason the fribidi_config_version variable gets messed up (it's
something like 0..)
After I remove the sed stuff, the configuration script proceeds normally.
However when trying to compile the package
the compilation aborts because r2l-config does not exist. I think that the
problem is caused by the fact that install-sh does not allow multiple
files to be copied such as:
install-sh -c file1 file2 dir
Each file must be installed separately. Therefore you should probably
replace the line in r2llib's Makefile with a for loop that installs each
file separately, i.e. replace
$(LIBTOOL) $(INSTALL) -c $(PROGS) $(CONFIG_BIN) $(BINDIR)
for file in $(PROGS) $(CONFIG_BIN); \
do $(LIBTOOL) $(INSTALL) -c $$file $(BINDIR) ; \
The compilation proceeds after this but aborts further with
../.././install-sh command not found.
I think that this error is due to some messed up TOPDIR, but I think that
the main reason is that the tarball is somehow not up-to-date.
Also looking at the biditext.in file it seems to be the same as the old
one (i.e. no support for --auto-refresh). This ensures me more that the
problem is with the tarball version.
BTW, the version of biditext I provided will not work on Solaris because
Solaris's sh does not support the syntax
This means that you will have to change such lines to:
On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
r2l 0.9.4 is available. Main changes from 0.9.2:
* the binary r2l is now installed (unless using a system r2llib, because
it may have a different r2l binary)
* refreshd_hook.so is optionally loaded when running biditext (using
* Everything compiles, also on solaris.
Things to verify:
* refreshd on solaris: does it run?
* Any problems left with tha system version of r2llib ?
On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, guy keren wrote:
On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
I'm generally quite satisfied with this one (even though I have some
problems when trying to build it on other platforms, mainly with
refreshd, I can live with that)
So I'd like to hear some success stories, and then get 1.0 out.
i am trying it out here now (redhat 6.2 with various manual changes).
first, some output i see in the configure script's output on the screen:
checking for gnome - version = 1.0... ./configure: test: integer
expression expected after-lt
there's some problem with the test there. i see this again later when
checking for another component. running with '-x' reveals the problem is
with 'gnome_wanted_micro_version' being set to an empty string, rather
then a number,at line 835, and thus the 'test' on line 2581 yields a
This should be fixed. I modified aclocal/ac_check_generic . I'm not sure
my solution is optimal, but it seems to work. (I ignore everything after
the third number)
the other component with a problem is 'r2llib'. on line 1014. what happend
is that 'r2llib-config --version' here returns '0.32', while the script
seems to expect '0.3.2', and this the script sets
r2llib_config_micro_version to an empty string. please note that i have a
copy of r2llib installed in the system, and i also get a warning about it:
configure: warning: Using system version of r2llib from
This may not be solved.
another thing - when i ran 'make install', then after the installation, an
'install' script is being built - either it should be built _before_
installing the files, or it shouldn't be built at all - but certainly not
be built as the last operation of 'make install'.
Solved. I needed to use install-sh instead of install.sh . This is a weird
interaction between autoconf and make.
now, running biditext causes applications to crash during startup (tried
with 'netscape' [which crashed] and with'gnome-terminal'. gnome-terminal
itself didn't crash, but a lynx ran under it crashed with a bus error).
i decided perhaps my local copy of r2llib is at fault, so i manually
removed it (removing all files from /usr/local/lib/libr2l* and
/usr/loacl/bin/r2l*, including the insalled r2l applets). when i did that,
the configure script barfed that i don't have a version of 'r2llib', and
then barfed that i don't have the right version - it