Re: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Andy Williams
At 17:38 13/05/2001, Simon Cozens wrote: On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 05:22:49PM +0100, Greg McCarroll wrote: How can any socialist not feel that when it came to the crunch socialism was rejected by intelligent people who understood its principals and benefits intimitadly because they

Re: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Jonathan Peterson
At 16:41 13/05/01 +0100, you wrote: * Dave Cross ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote: At 15:27 13/05/2001, Simon Cozens wrote: if only the SNP covered the whole of the UK Err, they do. Insert rant about the obvious injustice of having Scotland vote on the affairs of England and Westminster but not

Re: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Jonathan Peterson
At 17:58 13/05/01 +0100, you wrote: At 17:38 13/05/2001, Simon Cozens wrote: Which intelligent people who understood it would that be, then? Take a look around you. This list, being representative of the Perl community, tends towards the intelligent end of the spectrum. And from what I've

Re: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Struan Donald
* at 13/05 16:41 +0100 Greg McCarroll said: * Dave Cross ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote: At 15:27 13/05/2001, Simon Cozens wrote: On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 03:30:31AM -0700, Paul Makepeace wrote: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/18866.html Absurd, laughable and bizarre. What *is*

RE: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Cross David - dcross
From: Jonathan Peterson [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 9:41 AM At 17:58 13/05/01 +0100, you wrote: At 17:38 13/05/2001, Simon Cozens wrote: Which intelligent people who understood it would that be, then? Take a look around you. This list, being representative of the Perl

Re: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Jonathan Peterson
At 18:50 13/05/01 +0100, you wrote: On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 06:38:45PM +0100, Simon Cozens wrote: Democracy is overrated. I think a meritocracy is needed. Perhaps measured by Perl competence. It's a fairly well-arguable stance that *any* form of meritocracy is a reasonable system -

Re: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Jonathan Stowe
On Sun, 13 May 2001, Greg McCarroll wrote: * Dave Cross ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote: At 15:27 13/05/2001, Simon Cozens wrote: On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 03:30:31AM -0700, Paul Makepeace wrote: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/18866.html Absurd, laughable and bizarre. What *is*

like a phoenix from the flames

2001-05-14 Thread James Powell
The Perl Journal arrived this morning... jp

Re: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread David Cantrell
On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 09:51:37AM +0100, Jonathan Peterson wrote: Actually, a hereditary democratic hereditary democratic - an oxymoron, surely. chamber such as the (old) house of lords strikes me as being a pretty good system. Swapping 'randomly

Politics (was Re: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Jonathan Stowe
I just thought I'd remind you all that the last time talk here turned to politics it nearly ended in tears before bedtime. Please think before you post anything potentially inflamable as I think there are a wider variety of more strongly held views represented here than is apparent from the

RE: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Robert Thompson
Swapping 'selected by Tony Blair after consultation with his own sycophantic smile' for hereditary strikes me as pretty stupid, corrupt and evil. Cough. It's called confirming and strengthening your own powerbase while undermining that of your opponent. If we're not careful

RE: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Matthew Byng-Maddick
On Mon, 14 May 2001, Robert Thompson wrote: If we're not careful we'll end up in the situation where the TB has such a strong powerbase that he'll be able to push through pretty much anything he wants, riding roughshod over the the views/opinions etc of those who elected him in the first

Re: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Robert Shiels
From: Dave Cross [EMAIL PROTECTED] At 17:38 13/05/2001, Simon Cozens wrote: On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 05:22:49PM +0100, Greg McCarroll wrote: How can any socialist not feel that when it came to the crunch socialism was rejected by intelligent people who understood its principals and

Re: see attachment

2001-05-14 Thread Greg McCarroll
* Matthew Jones ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote: (enter Birakay) Bikay: CHOPS! I come to defeat you both, old ones! My howitzer-up-arse Hereford attack will prevail! Bikay: Muahahaha! Your feeble strict style cannot defeat me! It is gay! roflmao, damn that almost makes me want to go to the

Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Matthew Jones
Robert Shiels: Over the next 4 years, Labour will fail to deliver their promises yet again, and the country will swing back to the party of low taxes, who will be re-elected in 2006. Part of the reason why they haven't delivered the promises that I think are important (decent public

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Roger Burton West
On or about Mon, May 14, 2001 at 10:45:45AM +0100, Matthew Jones typed: I genuinely believe that the public are sick of watching the NHS, education system etc wasting away on a starvation diet and would be willing to pay a bit of extra tax to make sure that their kids can get schooled and that

Re: see attachment

2001-05-14 Thread Peter Haworth
On Sat, 12 May 2001 16:38:08 +0100, Simon Cozens wrote: diff: usage diff [whatever] etc. - plan9 has a bad day I keep meaning to ask, where do all these plan9 bad day quotes come from? -- Peter Haworth [EMAIL PROTECTED] [Unicycling] in the mud is good for you. It builds

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread David Cantrell
On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 10:45:45AM +0100, Matthew Jones wrote: Part of the reason why they haven't delivered the promises that I think are important (decent public services) is because they've hamstrung themselves with this clueless tory low-tax approach. I genuinely believe that the public

Re: Long Dark Teatime of the Soul

2001-05-14 Thread Dominic Mitchell
On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 05:55:56PM +0100, Neil Ford wrote: On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 11:56:48AM +0100, Dave Hodgkinson wrote: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1326000/1326657.stm Unfortunately I got the phone call at 7:10 this morning :-( Definitely a strange day. It got

Re: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread James Powell
On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 10:23:50AM +0100, Robert Shiels wrote: If a man is not a socialist by the time he is twenty, he has no heart. If he is not a conservative by the time he is 40, he has no brain. -Winston Churchill discuss:-) How does that explain Garry Bushell and Jim

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread will
- Original Message - From: Matthew Jones [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 4:45 AM Subject: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license) Robert Shiels: Over the next 4 years, Labour will fail to deliver their promises yet again, and the country will

RE: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Matthew Jones
I genuinely believe that the public are sick of watching the NHS, education system etc wasting away on a starvation diet and would be willing to pay a bit of extra tax to make sure that their kids can get schooled and that their sick can be healed. When have they ever been asked? During

RE: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Matthew Jones
I appoint Greg as my Culture Adviser and as head of the church. Any volunteers for my other minions? Even if you don't want a cabinet post, please feel free to volunteer as a Henchman. You'll get 25 days holiday a year, a nice uniform and a free Hench. Minister for Perilous Boogiedowns,

RE: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Robert Thompson
This is why we should abolish democracy. We need a benevolent dictator. Obviously we can't vote for our dictator (not only is democracy too flawed, but then it wouldn't be a dictator either) so I hereby appoint myself. Why not? The Romans did. The title of Imperator and Dictator were

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread will
- Original Message - From: Matthew Jones [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 5:05 AM Subject: RE: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license) I appoint Greg as my Culture Adviser and as head of the church. Any volunteers for my other minions? Even if

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Roger Burton West
On or about Mon, May 14, 2001 at 11:04:52AM +0100, Matthew Jones typed: When have they ever been asked? During elections. Like I say, in 1997, the UK voted in a party that was (I reckon) seen as the guardian of the public services, the party that is traditionally associated In 1997 the UK

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Jonathan Peterson
At 10:45 14/05/01 +0100, you wrote: Part of the reason why they haven't delivered the promises that I think are important (decent public services) is because they've hamstrung themselves with this clueless tory low-tax approach. Yup. I genuinely believe that the public are sick of watching

UK programmers left-wing? was Re: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Steve Mynott
Dave Cross [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: Take a look around you. This list, being representative of the Perl community, tends towards the intelligent end of the spectrum. And from what I've gathered from the conversations I've had with people here, the vast majority of us tend towards the

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Matthew Byng-Maddick
On Mon, 14 May 2001, Roger Burton West wrote: On or about Mon, May 14, 2001 at 11:04:52AM +0100, Matthew Jones typed: When have they ever been asked? During elections. Like I say, in 1997, the UK voted in a party that was (I reckon) seen as the guardian of the public services, the party that

RE: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Matthew Jones
In 1997 the UK voted against the Conservatives. The policies being offered by the parties were close to identical. For values of conservative that are low-tax/shitty services, IMHO. The policies may have been close, but the perception of the two parties still pointed at Labour as the party of

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread James Powell
On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 11:17:51AM +0100, Roger Burton West wrote: On or about Mon, May 14, 2001 at 11:04:52AM +0100, Matthew Jones typed: When have they ever been asked? During elections. Like I say, in 1997, the UK voted in a party that was (I reckon) seen as the guardian of the public

Re: see attachment

2001-05-14 Thread Simon Cozens
On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 10:52:50AM +0100, Peter Haworth wrote: I keep meaning to ask, where do all these plan9 bad day quotes come from? The plan9 fortune file. It's the mistakes they made while they were developing it. -- yes /dev/kmem # Shutdown is broken. This'll have to do -

Re: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Robert Shiels
From: James Powell [EMAIL PROTECTED] On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 10:23:50AM +0100, Robert Shiels wrote: If a man is not a socialist by the time he is twenty, he has no heart. If he is not a conservative by the time he is 40, he has no brain. -Winston Churchill discuss:-) How

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Robert Shiels
From: Matthew Jones [EMAIL PROTECTED] I have deeply unfashionable political views, though. I think tax and spend is a *good idea*. I'm neither completely left, or completely right. I would be happy to pay more income tax to improve health and education. I actually voted LibDem last time as

Re: UK programmers left-wing? was Re: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Dominic Mitchell
On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 10:19:27AM +, Steve Mynott wrote: There are certainly far fewer left-wing bookshops now than twenty years ago. Most of the young seem now more interested in single issues like animal rights, globalisation etc then traditional socialism. Hey, that's just the young

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Robin Szemeti
On Mon, 14 May 2001, you wrote: Robert Shiels: Over the next 4 years, Labour will fail to deliver their promises yet again, and the country will swing back to the party of low taxes, who will be re-elected in 2006. Part of the reason why they haven't delivered the promises that I

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Jonathan Peterson
At 11:17 14/05/01 +0100, you wrote: Governments never get value for money on anything they do. Discuss. The Louisiana purchase was a pretty good deal. So was Alaska. So was the Suez canal. Government subsidy of scientific research has possibly been a very good deal, it's hard to quantify.

RE: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Matthew Jones
Just because they can't deliver those promises for those costs doesn't mean no one else can. If they knew they couldn't deliver within those cost constraints why did they lie and say they could? Because they are (right-wing) politicians. Just look at the absurd promisises Hague's lot are

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Dave Hodgkinson
Robin Szemeti [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: does anyone happen to have one of those little plastic credit card things they were giving out before the last election with 10 things 'let us be judged on these:' .. That was a Mark Thomas episode wasn't it? -- Dave Hodgkinson,

Re: Monitors

2001-05-14 Thread Simon Wistow
Lucy McWilliam wrote: On Fri, 11 May 2001, Mark Fowler wrote: (I don't eat chocolate.) *shock* Me neither. I came to the startling conclusion about 5 years ago that I don't really like. I don't hate it, just don't particularly enjoy it except in odd moods and even then mostly dark

Perl training

2001-05-14 Thread Leon Brocard
Quite a few people at perl mongers asked me about Perl training. Those interested, please check out the following page, and please keep replies offlist: http://www.iterative-software.com/training/ Cheers, Leon -- Leon Brocard.http://www.astray.com/ Iterative

RE: Perl training

2001-05-14 Thread Matthew Jones
http://www.iterative-software.com/training/ Can you do another Perl course, please? CHOPS programming: What's in the box? This two day course is aimed at l4me to virtually pubescent Perl programmers. We aim to give students the underpinning knowledge and skills required for them to make a

Re: Monitors

2001-05-14 Thread Dominic Mitchell
On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 11:52:06AM +0100, Simon Wistow wrote: Me neither. I came to the startling conclusion about 5 years ago that I don't really like. I don't hate it, just don't particularly enjoy it except in odd moods and even then mostly dark chocolate. Will drool for Green Black's

Re: UK programmers left-wing? was Re: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Simon Wistow
Steve Mynott wrote: Libertarianism seems more popular than socialism on the internet as as a whole, at least, with many American programmers. To counter Dave's left wing views (trolllhave you ever noticed how left wingers tend to be less tolerant to the fact that their views may

Re: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Simon Wistow
Andy Williams wrote: Andy (preparing for all the insults under the sun for being a tory!) Solidarity brother!

RE: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Cross David - dcross
From: Robert Shiels [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 10:24 AM I've always been pretty right wing, and as I get older I'm getting worse :-) My prediction is that Labour will win again (a no-brainer I know), and that the Conservatives will elect a new leader. Over the next 4 years,

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Simon Cozens
On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 11:58:42AM +0100, David Cantrell wrote: I recall the previous government being impressively dishonest about a great many things. When was the last government that was *not* impressively dishonest? I think there might have been one around 1868, but I'm not sure. The

More politics (was Re: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Roger Burton West
On or about Mon, May 14, 2001 at 10:37:23AM +0100, Cross David - dcross typed: Here's a pretty fundamental issue. Why do so many people seem to think that low taxes are good? Because many people think that they are better judges of how their own money should be spent than the government (of

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Jonathan Peterson
At 11:58 14/05/01 +0100, you wrote: If you ignore all of those, I wonder how many of those 'stealth' taxes would really exist. IR35, for a start ? On the subject of idiocy and legislation, here's a good one A dairy farmer has some cows (might not anymore, actually, but anyway...), and

RE: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread duncan
The money has to be raised somehow. selling 3rd generation mobile phone licences for extortionate figures, thereby taxing the population once again? duncan

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread David Cantrell
On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 11:44:11AM +0100, Matthew Jones wrote: The tories are going to have low tax and pay for improved public services through cracking down on benefit fraud, apparently. Gah, if only someone had thought of that before. 'Cos you can solve a long-term underfunding problem by

Re: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Simon Cozens
On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 10:37:23AM +0100, Cross David - dcross wrote: Here's a pretty fundamental issue. Why do so many people seem to think that low taxes are good? Rule one, man, rule one. -- TorgoX EFNet is like one big advertisement for lobotomies.

RE: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Matthew Jones
Ah, yes. That's like we're listening, isn't it, in response to the fuel crisis? We're not going to do anything, but we're happy to listen. That narked me about the fuel protestors. They claimed the government aren't listening. Listen ne cave in to the selfish demands of a few protestors who

RE: Perl training

2001-05-14 Thread Jonathan Stowe
On Mon, 14 May 2001, Matthew Jones wrote: http://www.iterative-software.com/training/ Can you do another Perl course, please? CHOPS programming: Please dont do that while I'm eating crisps again - I nearly ashpyxiated :) /J\

RE: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Robin Szemeti
On Mon, 14 May 2001, you wrote: Just because they can't deliver those promises for those costs doesn't mean no one else can. If they knew they couldn't deliver within those cost constraints why did they lie and say they could? Because they are (right-wing) politicians. Just look at the

Re: Perl training

2001-05-14 Thread Martin Ling
On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 12:00:54PM +0100, Matthew Jones wrote: What's in the box? ... NOTHING! STPPPIDD! Youre so STUUUPPIID! Martin

RE: More politics (was Re: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Matthew Jones
Here's a pretty fundamental issue. Why do so many people seem to think that low taxes are good? Because many people think that they are better judges of how their own money should be spent than the government (of whatever flavour) is. This is something I've always wondered about. Given

Re: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Struan Donald
* at 14/05 12:13 +0100 duncan said: The money has to be raised somehow. selling 3rd generation mobile phone licences for extortionate figures, thereby taxing the population once again? wasn't it an auction? i like to look on this as some sort of crack induced madness on the side of tha

RE: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Cross David - dcross
From: Simon Cozens [EMAIL PROTECTED]? Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 12:08 PM There are some contractors here, I understand, who might have something to say about government policy on taxation. Heh. Can you be a contractor and hold on to your left-wing principles? Let's see... Whilst I'd seem to

chocolate was Re: Monitors

2001-05-14 Thread Steve Mynott
Simon Wistow [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: Me neither. I came to the startling conclusion about 5 years ago that I don't really like. I don't hate it, just don't particularly enjoy it except in odd moods and even then mostly dark chocolate. I don't like English chocolate which doesn't in fact

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Robert Shiels
From: Jonathan Peterson [EMAIL PROTECTED] 3. Teachers are responsible for children taking their medicine. If a child has a critical allergy to (bee stings, etc, etc) the teachers are responsible for administering intra-venous beta blockers etc. They don't get paid more for being nurses too.

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Martin Ling
On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 10:57:59AM +0100, David Cantrell wrote: I appoint Greg as my Culture Adviser and as head of the church. Any volunteers for my other minions? Even if you don't want a cabinet post, please feel free to volunteer as a Henchman. You'll get 25 days holiday a year, a

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Simon Cozens
On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 12:16:27PM +0100, Matthew Jones wrote: It also irtritates me when the oil companies hike fuel prices and the dump the pump lobby respond by suggesting that the government drop tax. Why don't they ever have a go at BP or Shell? You don't elect BP or Shell. -- He was a

Re: Perl training

2001-05-14 Thread Chris Ball
On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 12:21:59PM +0100, Martin Ling wrote: STPPPIDD! OoOoOoh, Red Snapper! Very tasty! /obscure_quoting ~C. -- Chris Ball. [EMAIL PROTECTED] || http://printf.net/ finger: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Supplies!

RE: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Matthew Jones
Hospital waiting lists are up, No, hospital waiting lists are down. The time spent waiting to get on the wiating list is up. :) so are class sizes in schools. No, class sizes are down in primary schools (were primaries specified on the pledge card?). Secondary school classes are level or

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Struan Donald
* at 14/05 12:16 +0100 Matthew Jones said: Ah, yes. That's like we're listening, isn't it, in response to the fuel crisis? We're not going to do anything, but we're happy to listen. That narked me about the fuel protestors. They claimed the government aren't listening. Listen ne cave

Re: Perl training

2001-05-14 Thread Martin Ling
On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 12:27:20PM +0100, Chris Ball wrote: OoOoOoh, Red Snapper! Very tasty! /obscure_quoting Heh. It's *so* good, and has even managed to remain obscure. This is probably because you can't get it anywhere any more, of course... Martin

RE: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Matthew Jones
the pump lobby respond by suggesting that the government drop tax. Why don't they ever have a go at BP or Shell? You don't elect BP or Shell. Well, precisely, they're companies, so you boycott them. Which is what I thought that dump the pump was originally about; boycotting oil companies

Re: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread David Cantrell
On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 10:37:23AM +0100, Cross David - dcross wrote: Oh, and Churchill was an arsehole. As the population worked out in the 1945 General Election. Anyone responding with nonsense about him winning the second world war will be given a history lesson :) Isn't it interesting

Re: Perl training

2001-05-14 Thread Simon Wistow
Chris Ball wrote: On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 12:21:59PM +0100, Martin Ling wrote: STPPPIDD! OoOoOoh, Red Snapper! Very tasty! /obscure_quoting UHF++ Ghandi II - No more Mister Passive Resistance, Spatula City, Conan the Librarian (Donch yew

RE: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Robert Price
At 12:27 PM 5/14/01 +0100, you wrote: Hospital waiting lists are up, so are class sizes in schools. No, class sizes are down in primary schools (were primaries specified on the pledge card?). Secondary school classes are level or *slightly* up, IIRC. Are they in reality, or is it due to the

Re: Monitors

2001-05-14 Thread Philip Newton
Lucy McWilliam wrote: On Fri, 11 May 2001, Philip Newton wrote: Dominic Mitchell wrote: How many things do you have on top of your monitor? Depends on the day. Today, two things: a goose called Lucy[1] ! :) It did cross my mind while posting the message that you were also on the

RE: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Matthew Jones
Are they in reality, or is it due to the current lot being in lower birth years than the lot 4 years ago, and hence the secondary school numbers being up now? Heh, it's pre-election statistics, so god knows what possible conne4ction to reality they may have! :) -- matt | I mean to make you

Re: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Simon Wistow
Struan Donald wrote: wasn't it an auction? i like to look on this as some sort of crack induced madness on the side of tha various telcos involved in which thet actually belived the hype aboug 3G comming out of their marketing departments. Basically it went like this: As a telco you ahve

Re: Perl training

2001-05-14 Thread duncan
/obscure_quoting Heh. It's *so* good, and has even managed to remain obscure. This is probably because you can't get it anywhere any more, of course... its rumoured to be released on dvd at the end of the year. one of my favorite films ever... badgers? we dont need no stinking badgers!

Re: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Andy Williams
Struan Donald wrote: Basically it went like this: As a telco you ahve to bid for this because if you don't get a 3G licence then you're fucked. So everyone who bids as high as they can. So whoever gets it is fucked anyway because they've got no money. 3G is all bollocks anyway. Just

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Steve Mynott
Matthew Jones [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: It also irtritates me when the oil companies hike fuel prices and the dump the pump lobby respond by suggesting that the government drop tax. Why don't they ever have a go at BP or Shell? Because the vast majority of the petrol pump price (something

Re: Perl training

2001-05-14 Thread Jonathan Stowe
On Mon, 14 May 2001, Chris Ball wrote: On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 12:21:59PM +0100, Martin Ling wrote: STPPPIDD! OoOoOoh, Red Snapper! Very tasty! /obscure_quoting Wheel of Fish! /J\

Re: chocolate was Re: Monitors

2001-05-14 Thread Lucy McWilliam
On 14 May 2001, Steve Mynott wrote: I don't like English chocolate which doesn't in fact contain very much chocolate at all if you study the percentage cocoa solids. Better than American chcolate. L. Flower yourself in dissonance and eat yourself in cream.

Re: More politics (was Re: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Steve Mynott
Matthew Jones [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: medicine and so on. Has anybody worked out how much it would cost to buy the same services as a private citizen compared to the cost that the state charges in tax? People have tried to do this and the figures I saw suggest the private sector can

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Robert Shiels
From: Steve Mynott [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: 14 May 2001 12:12 Subject: Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license) Robert Shiels [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: I'm neither completely left, or completely right. I would be happy to pay more income tax to improve health and

Re: Perl training

2001-05-14 Thread Martin Ling
On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 12:50:27PM +0100, duncan wrote: its rumoured to be released on dvd at the end of the year. one of my favorite films ever... badgers? we dont need no stinking badgers! *Show Me This Rumour* I have still not seen the bits cut out of the Conan the Librarian scene.

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Lucy McWilliam
On Mon, 14 May 2001, Martin Ling wrote: Appears I'm out of a job too from the end of the month, so count me in. The mighty army of unemployed Perlers takes over the world... Is this the point where I can try and recruit some of you compscis to the bioinformatics revolution? Hack around and

Re: Long Dark Teatime of the Soul

2001-05-14 Thread Dominic Mitchell
On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 11:56:48AM +0100, Dave Hodgkinson wrote: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1326000/1326657.stm Amongst the many other tributes floating around, I found this one quite entertaining: http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20010513 -Dom

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Philip Newton
Jonathan Peterson wrote: 2. A teacher can't be alone in a room with a pupil unless the door is open. Things were obviously different back when I spent the occasional lunch break (or after school) in detention :) Cheers, Philip -- Philip Newton [EMAIL PROTECTED] All opinions are my own, not

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Andy Williams
On Mon, 14 May 2001, Lucy McWilliam wrote: Is this the point where I can try and recruit some of you compscis to the bioinformatics revolution? Hack around and cure cancer at the same time ;-) L. Been there, done that at the Sanger Centre hacking around with genes though... Andy

Re: Perl training

2001-05-14 Thread duncan
*Show Me This Rumour* http://members.aol.com/allthngynk/uhf10th/dvd.htm my bad, 2002 ratherthan 2001. *grin* duncan

Re: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Jonathan Peterson
David Cantrell wrote: On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 10:37:23AM +0100, Cross David - dcross wrote: Oh, and Churchill was an arsehole. As the population worked out in the 1945 General Election. Anyone responding with nonsense about him winning the second world war will be given a history

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Steve Mynott
Matthew Jones [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: the pump lobby respond by suggesting that the government drop tax. Why don't they ever have a go at BP or Shell? You don't elect BP or Shell. Well, precisely, they're companies, so you boycott them. Which is what I thought that dump the pump

Re: chocolate was Re: Monitors

2001-05-14 Thread Steve Mynott
Lucy McWilliam [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: On 14 May 2001, Steve Mynott wrote: I don't like English chocolate which doesn't in fact contain very much chocolate at all if you study the percentage cocoa solids. Better than American chcolate. I have bought US Hersey (sp?) bars in the UK

Re: Perl training

2001-05-14 Thread Mark Hynes
On May 14, Martin Ling wrote: On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 12:27:20PM +0100, Chris Ball wrote: OoOoOoh, Red Snapper! Very tasty! /obscure_quoting Heh. It's *so* good, and has even managed to remain obscure. This is probably because you can't get it anywhere any more, of course... It

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Robin Houston
On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 01:06:42PM +0100, Lucy McWilliam wrote: Is this the point where I can try and recruit some of you compscis to the bioinformatics revolution? I've always thought it sounded like fun. How does one go about joining the bioinformatics revolution, then? .robin. -- It

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Chris Ball
On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 01:06:42PM +0100, Lucy McWilliam wrote: Appears I'm out of a job too from the end of the month, so count me in. The mighty army of unemployed Perlers takes over the world... Is this the point where I can try and recruit some of you compscis to the bioinformatics

Re: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Greg McCarroll
* Jonathan Peterson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote: David Cantrell wrote: On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 10:37:23AM +0100, Cross David - dcross wrote: General Election. Anyone responding with nonsense about him winning the second world war will be given a history lesson :) No one won the 2nd world

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Jonathan Peterson
I'm not trying to negate your point, which I agree with, but I'm not sure if this one is true. Teachers at my daughters school have refused to give medicine to her, and to other children, some of whom are on constant medication; their mother comes into the school to administer it. You

Bioinformatics jobs (was: Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license))

2001-05-14 Thread Dominic Mitchell
On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 01:18:00PM +0100, Robin Houston wrote: On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 01:06:42PM +0100, Lucy McWilliam wrote: Is this the point where I can try and recruit some of you compscis to the bioinformatics revolution? I've always thought it sounded like fun. How does one go

RE: UK programmers left-wing? was Re: BOFHs requiring license

2001-05-14 Thread Matthew Jones
(trolllhave you ever noticed how left wingers tend to be less tolerant to the fact that their views may be wrong than right wing people?/troll) Ah, that's because we left-wingers *are* right, and also because secretly, silently, you right-wingers know it, too. :P -- matt The

Re: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Simon Wistow
Robin Houston wrote: On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 01:06:42PM +0100, Lucy McWilliam wrote: Is this the point where I can try and recruit some of you compscis to the bioinformatics revolution? I've always thought it sounded like fun. How does one go about joining the bioinformatics

RE: Politics (was RE: BOFHs requiring license)

2001-05-14 Thread Roger Horne
On Mon 14 May, Matthew Jones wrote: No, class sizes are down in primary schools (were primaries specified on the pledge card?). Secondary school classes are level or *slightly* up, IIRC. Some spokesman on the radio this morning promised to reduce class sizes in primary schools and to recruit

Re: Bioinformatics (was RE: Politics)

2001-05-14 Thread Lucy McWilliam
On Mon, 14 May 2001, Andy Williams wrote: On Mon, 14 May 2001, Lucy McWilliam wrote: Is this the point where I can try and recruit some of you compscis to the bioinformatics revolution? Hack around and cure cancer at the same time ;-) Been there, done that at the Sanger Centre

  1   2   >