Re: Perl Books

2001-02-02 Thread Greg McCarroll
* Benjamin Holzman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote: True, but there aren't many people who will assume that they can perform brain surgery just because they successfully applied a band-aid to a paper cut the week before. www.trepanation.com ;-) [1] Greg [1] i haven't checked the URL so dont

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-02 Thread Alex Page
On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 11:21:57AM -0600, Elaine -HFB- Ashton wrote: :) I think you are missing my point here. The plumber who is skilled in a trade probably thinks you are an idiot when you manage to mangle your own pipes and have to call him to fix it for you. Yeah... I always forget to

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-02 Thread Nathan Torkington
Alex Page writes: Yeah... I always forget to flush when forking, and I've done some horrible things with IPC::Open3 before... I'm shuddering at the thought of the human equivalent of atomic writes. "The largest nugget that will pass through a pipe intact ..." Nat

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-02 Thread Greg Cope
Aaron Trevena wrote: On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Elaine -HFB- Ashton wrote: No, there wasn't even something I could buy for it sadly. It's a simple CGI, I would have paid $15 for a quickie 'here's your simple cgi just plug in your variables here' code. Been there - more often than not, the

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-02 Thread David Cantrell
On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 11:21:57AM -0600, Elaine -HFB- Ashton wrote: :) I think you are missing my point here. The plumber who is skilled in a trade probably thinks you are an idiot when you manage to mangle your own pipes and have to call him to fix it for you. However, I don't question

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-02 Thread Mark Fowler
However, I don't question the plumber's competence, or indeed pretend to anyone including myself that I can do a good job of it. The same should apply to programming. If I were to try my hand at re-plumbing my kitchen, I know I'd make a god-awful mess, and I am intelligent enough to not

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-02 Thread Robert Shiels
However, I don't question the plumber's competence, or indeed pretend to anyone including myself that I can do a good job of it. The same should apply to programming. If I were to try my hand at re-plumbing my kitchen, know I'd make a god-awful mess, and I am intelligent enough to not attempt

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-02 Thread Elaine -HFB- Ashton
Benjamin Holzman [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] quoth: *On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 11:57:20AM -0700, Nathan Torkington wrote: * Meaning, nobody's really a complete idiot and we'd seem just as dumb * if we called brain surgery tech support, new mother tech support, or * even gardening tech support. * *True, but

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-02 Thread Michael Stevens
On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 11:16:06AM -0600, Elaine -HFB- Ashton wrote: Benjamin Holzman [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] quoth: *On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 11:57:20AM -0700, Nathan Torkington wrote: * Meaning, nobody's really a complete idiot and we'd seem just as dumb * if we called brain surgery tech

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-02 Thread Aaron Trevena
On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Greg Cope wrote: Aaron Trevena wrote: On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Elaine -HFB- Ashton wrote: No, there wasn't even something I could buy for it sadly. It's a simple CGI, I would have paid $15 for a quickie 'here's your simple cgi just plug in your variables here' code.

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-02 Thread Aaron Trevena
On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, David Cantrell wrote: On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 11:21:57AM -0600, Elaine -HFB- Ashton wrote: :) I think you are missing my point here. The plumber who is skilled in a trade probably thinks you are an idiot when you manage to mangle your own pipes and have to call him

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-01 Thread Redvers Davies
Also L Steins Network Programming with Perl is a good book. I'm only a chunk into it buts its a good read on its own and an even better one if your not from a Unix background. Yup, it's a bloody impressive book. I concur. I was lucky enough to get a look at the copy that Dave Cross had at

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-01 Thread Robin Szemeti
On Thu, 01 Feb 2001, you wrote: Robin Szemeti [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] quoth: * *i think we get a slanted view on what a 'normal level of intelligence' *is, because in general, we work with exceptional people. I spent the last I know at least 2 nobel laureates who wouldn't know jack about CGI

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-01 Thread James Powell
On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 11:39:24AM +, Robin Szemeti wrote: [big snip] no .. its not (for want of a better word) rocket science, but to do it correctly does require a broad range of knowledge about several different systems and really what Ms Castro attempts to do is give a bit of all of

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-01 Thread Robert Price
At 12:34 PM 2/1/01 +, jp wrote: [snip] Totally unrelated, I wish they'd open a PC Bookshop in Farringdon. But it's only a 10-15 minute stroll to the one in Southampton Row from Farringdon. Rob

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-01 Thread James Powell
Those 15 minutes (each way, probably about 20 from where I am) come out of my pay packet! And it doesn't stay open late enough in the evening. I've been spoilt, I used to work at Tower 42 (was natwest tower) and the city branch was a well lobbed copy of an o'reilly book (preferably mysql msql)

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-01 Thread Elaine -HFB- Ashton
Robin Szemeti [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] quoth: * *But what you say above proves my point dunnit ... these guys are nobel *laureates and they enjoy a challenge.. out there in the real world a *large percentage of the population finds adding up the money for the bus a *challenge ... the pasics of CGI are

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-01 Thread Robin Szemeti
On Thu, 01 Feb 2001, you wrote: Well, this particular one was 65 years old, a consultant to world leaders in Economic affairs and was completely baffled by the advent of a new laptop. He had better things to worry about than learning something as trivial and insignificant to life on the

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-01 Thread Nathan Torkington
Robin Szemeti writes: WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS SAYING ... (in big letters just to make sure :) stunningly bright but experience in a different field .. understood. but still one of the (very) bright ones. When I worked at an ISP, our motto was: The customer is an expert in their own

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-01 Thread Robin Houston
On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 11:57:20AM -0700, Nathan Torkington wrote: [...] brain surgery tech support [...] Have you got the number? I'm having a spot of bother with my hypothalamus. .robin.

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-01 Thread Paul Mison
On 01/02/2001 at 10:03 +, Robert Shiels wrote: Just had a look at the PC Bookshops website (www.pcbooks.co.uk). Didn't they used to have a way of finding out whether the book was actually on the shelf or not - I may drop in there today on my way south of the river (Oh, the shame) and wanted

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-01 Thread Benjamin Holzman
On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 11:57:20AM -0700, Nathan Torkington wrote: Meaning, nobody's really a complete idiot and we'd seem just as dumb if we called brain surgery tech support, new mother tech support, or even gardening tech support. True, but there aren't many people who will assume that

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-01 Thread Dean S Wilson
-Original Message- From: Elaine -HFB- Ashton [EMAIL PROTECTED] anyone other than Webheads have better things to do than learn CGI. It doesn't make them stupid, in fact, I'd almost argue that they are the bright ones. Amen. Which is probably about 95% of the planet. Why should they

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-01 Thread Dean S Wilson
-Original Message- From: Benjamin Holzman [EMAIL PROTECTED] True, but there aren't many people who will assume that they can perform brain surgery just because they successfully applied a band-aid to a paper cut the week before. You haven't been to the NHS recently have you... ;)

Re: Perl Books

2001-02-01 Thread Aaron Trevena
On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Elaine -HFB- Ashton wrote: No, there wasn't even something I could buy for it sadly. It's a simple CGI, I would have paid $15 for a quickie 'here's your simple cgi just plug in your variables here' code. Been there - more often than not, the cookbook fills any holes. I

Re: Perl Books

2001-01-31 Thread Dominic Mitchell
On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 09:24:20AM -0500, Dave Cross wrote: Here's an interesting page[1] Have a URL for that, guv? -Dom

Re: Perl Books

2001-01-31 Thread Struan Donald
* at 31/01 14:28 + Dominic Mitchell said: On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 09:24:20AM -0500, Dave Cross wrote: Here's an interesting page[1] Have a URL for that, guv? er... this unweldy thing would seem to be it: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/4045/107-2581489-8245353 struan

Re: Perl Books

2001-01-31 Thread Robin Houston
On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 02:32:21PM +, Struan Donald wrote: er... this unweldy thing would seem to be it: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/4045/107-2581489-8245353 A handy hint for amazon URLs: you can knock off the long number on the end, and the thing will still work.

Re: Perl Books

2001-01-31 Thread Robin Szemeti
On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, you wrote: It's at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/4045/ Crickey! That book by Ms Castro that's been slated everywhere is at number 5!!! no one ever said the buying public were intelligent ... in fact it has been said (by some famoose newspaper tycoon

Re: Perl Books

2001-01-31 Thread Nathan Torkington
Elaine -HFB- Ashton writes: On the plus side, Addison-Wesley has a new CGI Perl book coming out in early February that should be a major improvement in this particular genre. Hey, if she's allowed to plug, so am I :-) The 2nd edition of "CGI Programming with Perl" (O'Reilly of course) is

Re: Perl Books

2001-01-31 Thread Jonathan Stowe
On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Elaine -HFB- Ashton wrote: Robin Szemeti [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] quoth: * *no one ever said the buying public were intelligent ... Well, people rise to meet expectations too. There is precious little in the way of good CGI books with a practical slant to them out there so

Re: Perl Books

2001-01-31 Thread Dave Cross
On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 07:41:54PM +, Jonathan Stowe ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote: On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Elaine -HFB- Ashton wrote: Robin Szemeti [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] quoth: * *no one ever said the buying public were intelligent ... Well, people rise to meet expectations too. There is

Re: Perl Books

2001-01-31 Thread Robin Szemeti
On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, you wrote: Robin Szemeti [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] quoth: * *no one ever said the buying public were intelligent ... Well, people rise to meet expectations too. There is precious little in the way of good CGI books with a practical slant to them out there so out of the lot

Re: Perl Books

2001-01-31 Thread Elaine -HFB- Ashton
Nathan Torkington [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] quoth: * Also L Steins Network Programming with Perl is a good book. I'm only a * chunk into it buts its a good read on its own and an even better one * if your not from a Unix background. * *Yup, it's a bloody impressive book. And it's an Addison-Wesley

Re: Perl Books

2001-01-31 Thread Elaine -HFB- Ashton
Robin Szemeti [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] quoth: * *i think we get a slanted view on what a 'normal level of intelligence' *is, because in general, we work with exceptional people. I spent the last I know at least 2 nobel laureates who wouldn't know jack about CGI or about selecting which book might be

Re: Perl Books

2001-01-31 Thread Elaine -HFB- Ashton
Nathan Torkington [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] quoth: * *Hey, if she's allowed to plug, so am I :-) The 2nd edition of "CGI *Programming with Perl" (O'Reilly of course) is pretty bloody good. I *was midway through writing a CGI class when I got a tech-review copy *of the book, and it was what I was going

Re: Perl Books

2001-01-31 Thread Dave Cross
On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 09:05:25PM +, Dave Cross ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote: [Liz Castro's appalling Perl/CGI book] I wrote a very scathing review of Castro's book on amazon.com yesterday. In case it doesn't get published, here's the gist: For a technical book to be worth buying it

Perl Books

2001-01-23 Thread Dean S Wilson
I was having a look at the perl book reviews on Amazon (Yes boycott, yes they have good reviews) when I came across this Proceedings of the Perl Conference 4.0 http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596000138/qid=980264576/sr=1 -62/202-4272860-9199824 I didn't get to go to that conference so

Re: Perl Books

2001-01-23 Thread Nathan Torkington
Elaine -HFB- Ashton writes: It's a copy of all the refereed papers as I recall, not the tutorials. It's tape bound and has Conway's Perligata Talk among others. What Elaine said. It's the book we handed out to TPC attendees in 2000, containing the refereed papers. Nat