Re: [Lubuntu-desktop] Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

2011-11-04 Thread Ali Linx
Tim,

For the 2nd time and yet again, I'd like to THANK YOU for each and every
word you wrote and for each and every suggestions, be sure I'll keep that
in mind and I'm very sure you wrote all that because you want to help :)
totally understood.
However, I'm afraid you are not seeing my point.

Again, if you go back to my email, or just go to that thread and check the
banner I posted which was done in Photoshop at 4am last night, you'll
understand EVERYTHING :)

That thread is NOT meant to be for posing problems and fixes. That thread
is meant to be an online huge bookmarks thread where anyone can find
everything.
Also, this thread is to analyse users reactions and experience. I'm having
another thoughts much more than just a thread.

For me, even though in one week or less, the thread became Sticky and the
viewers are increasing in a rapid rate - Thank God for that, this is really
promising. However, I don't see anything huge in that. That's nothing.
Thing is, I'm a man with unlimited ambitions. If you want to motivate me,
just de-motivate me and wait for the out-come because you'll be dazzled :)
Believe me, I'm not showing off at all, I'm just trying to tell you one
simple thing: Don't worry, keep supporting me :)

We are one team and serving one noble purpose. Our thoughts and approaches
may vary but after all, we are doing what we do for one simple purpose:
Seeing Lubuntu at the top where it MUST be.

I'm a strong believer in Lubuntu and I'm not going to waste one single day
... I'll invest all my energy in this.

Another point I'd like to highlight. If your thread went 4K and became
LOST, it doesn't mean same will happen with my thread :)
If I'll fail to control things and my thread will be lost, that's not a
problem. By that time, I would have something better than that thread, be
sure of that :)

Thank you for your support and thanks again for your suggestions. I already
started to take that into actions, let's see what will happen :)

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Tim Bernhard ohiom...@gmail.com wrote:



 On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 2:57 AM, Ali Linx amjja...@gmail.com wrote:

 Note: This is for everyone so lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net :)

 Dear ALL,
 ... Above all, I can NOT ask people NOT to post over there because that
 is against the real purpose of my thread. However, what I can do is to keep
 it simple and short and organized as much as possible and I do have some
 plans for that but again, wait please :)


 A.J.,

 I don't think it's too much to *ask* users to either use the appropriate
 thread to discuss issues or start a new one if one doesn't exist.  If you
 read my suggestion, it's about making their experience more useful to
 others and providing you with a way to mange that information.  They can
 still post to the thread, but try to take specifics to the appropriate
 thread so that information can be more useful to others.   *You just need
 to explain why your asking them to do it that way and how and provide
 instructions. *   I think if you were to make these changes in post #3,
 LOST will be the bomb!  You may have to police it a little in the
 beginning, but it gets rolling, people will follow along.

 It's not about telling what they can't do.  It's about telling them what
 the CAN do to make their contributions more useful.  It's up to you
 though.  LOST is your baby.  Keep up the good work.

 Tim





-- 
Best Regards,

*A.J
amjjawad*
Lubuntu One Stop Thread (Mega
Thread)http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755
My Blog http://amjjawad.wordpress.com | My Wiki
Pagehttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad| My
Launchpad https://launchpad.net/%7Eamjjawad | My Ubuntu Forum
Profilehttp://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=941822

*~ My Actions Speak Louder Than My Words || ** I walk by faith, not by
sight **|| Imagination is more important than Knowledge || **Keep It Simple
and Short** ~ *
___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
Post to : lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Lubuntu-desktop] Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

2011-11-04 Thread Tim Bernhard
On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Ali Linx amjja...@gmail.com wrote:

 Tim,

 For the 2nd time and yet again, I'd like to THANK YOU for each and every
 word you wrote and for each and every suggestions, be sure I'll keep that
 in mind and I'm very sure you wrote all that because you want to help :)
 totally understood.

However, I'm afraid you are not seeing my point


*I'm afraid you're not seeing my point.  I understand your point and I'm
asking you to change it!  (The nerve or me!! I know!  :) )  Of course I'm
just trying to help.  LOST is already great.  I just think it could be even
better.  That's just my opinion and it's your baby so I'll respect that.*


 Another point I'd like to highlight. If your thread went 4K and became
 LOST, it doesn't mean same will happen with my thread :)
 If I'll fail to control things and my thread will be lost, that's not a
 problem. By that time, I would have something better than that thread, be
 sure of that :)


*I hope your thread far exceeds 4k post and proves more useful than my
little laptop thread (who knew a 11.6 Acer laptop could be so popular?
LOL).  Lubuntu should reach a much wider audience and last longer than any
piece of hardware.  Please, don't let your thread become useless.  People
will hash our solutions in there, don't let them get lost helping them help
you.*

Thank you for your support and thanks again for your suggestions. I already
 started to take that into actions, let's see what will happen :)


*You took action in post
#122http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11423987postcount=122.
It's my opinion that you need to do this at the top where everyone can see
it.  Post #122 will be buried in no time.
*

I love the bookmark concept.  I'm just saying that you could to ask the
users to start and use them, so that you can bookmark the unsolved ones
alongside the ones that are solved.  I think it will make your already
useful thread even more useful.

Not much more I can say.  I can't make it any more clear than I have.  I've
explained myself as best as I can.   There is no real reason for us to keep
this discussion ongoing and I don't want to waste everyone's time.  *I
respect your position and you understand mine so it's up to you to you to
do what you think is best.*  I'll do my best to support you where I can.
Keep up the good work.

Tim
___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
Post to : lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Lubuntu-desktop] Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

2011-11-04 Thread Julien Lavergne
Hi,

I don't think all the sources are incompatible.
I'm agree that wiki should be the knowledge base, and the reference for all the 
documentation. However, having a forum thread for a bookmark purpose and 
chatting is also useful, as long as it points to wiki pages, and people are 
encourage to contribute to the wiki. Having useful answer or info in a post 
will be lost if nobody save it on the wiki.
Even Askubuntu can be used, with some links to the wiki also.

Regards,
Julien Lavergne

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 10:57:03 +0400
Ali Linx amjja...@gmail.com wrote:

 Note: This is for everyone so lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net :)
 
 Dear ALL,
 
 First thing I've been told when I joined back in August is to learn how to
 be patient so please, be patient :)
 
 Appearances could be deceiving ;)
 One Stop Thread has started as 2 HOWTOs for Lubuntu, that's all. I then
 figured out that Lubuntu Users need something a little bit beyond so there
 came One Stop Thread. After my thread became sticky, that motivated me even
 more to go beyond but I'm just waiting the right moment as I have huge
 personal issues on real life that I must deal with it before anything else
 but I'm actually ignoring and focusing on the best thing I love to do in
 life, that is Linux.
 
 What am I talking about?
 One Stop Thread is just the first step towards something bigger and much
 more useful.
 Last night, I made a banner using Photoshop (sorry, can't use GIMP at the
 moment - I'm faster on Photoshop) and I made it for a purpose. If you will
 have a look, you'll understand the whole point of having One Stop Thread
 and the real primary purpose of it :)
 
 Check : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755
 You'll see the banner at the very beginning :)
 
 I'm trying to see the reactions of people and so far, they loved it. Then,
 I'm going to improve it on daily basis. Then, I'm going even beyond that
 but again, please be patient.
 
 However, I DO REALLY REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE all what you have mentioned
 and I'll take that into consideration. One thing that you guys need to know
 is, One Stop Thread is NOT meant to be a place where people start posting
 about their problems and expect an answer. I know this is what is happening
 right now but if you notice, these are general questions. Above all, I can
 NOT ask people NOT to post over there because that is against the real
 purpose of my thread. However, what I can do is to keep it simple and short
 and organized as much as possible and I do have some plans for that but
 again, wait please :)
 
 I found myself helpful more on the forum. This is what I've been doing for
 a year even before joining Lubuntu Team so I'll carry on with that :)
 I also founded very interesting to update the Wiki Area and keep it up to
 date. However, the real question is: Do you guys want the Wiki Pages to be
 our Primary Source of Information? be careful because that means the Wiki
 Area will be much bigger than what it looks like now.
 If you have a plan to make it as good as Arch Wiki (which has almost
 everything about Arch) then I'm more than ready but ... I'm doing many
 other things like Forum, Testing, etc etc and I don't want to lose my focus
 on that. More people must be involved on the Wiki Pages IMHO.
 
 For me, Forum is much easier to maintain and then I update the Wiki
 Pages accordingly.
 Also, Traffic on Forum is much more.
 Above all, I don't really feel comfortable when I browse our Wiki because I
 feel there is something missing. I think the whole thing needs to be
 reviewed and re-organized. IMHO of course.
 
 Another thing is: www.lubuntu.net must be back to action again. I see NO
 POINT of re-directing the page to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu
 
 I have asked before if I can update it and I've been told that this access
 can't be given to new people. Understood. But someone must take the
 responsibility and focus on our website. As a user, I don't feel happy when
 the page re-direct to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu
 
 You see I have tons of ideas but I'm not sure yet when to discuss all that?
 I'm still doing that here on the mailing list but I guess we need some
 other place.
 
 In the mean time, I prefer to focus on what I'm doing and not to do many
 things at one time.
 
 I'm really glad to get all these replies from you, that means a lot to me,
 seriously :)
 I promise that I'll do my best to provide the best to everyone in this
 community and one thing you need to know about me is that when I go extra
 miles, I really go EXTRA MILES so don't worry about me. However, I can't do
 everything alone, I need more people to be involved. I do love team work.
 That's why I made another thread: Lubuntu One Stop Group.
 
 Everyone here is doing great job, no doubt about it but we need to be
 little bit more organized and each one of us focus on one or two things,
 not everything. That will increase our performance in no time. Again, just
 my humble personal opinion.
 
 :)
 
 

Re: [Lubuntu-desktop] Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

2011-11-04 Thread Michael Rawson
A suggestion; (although you may or may not think it's acceptable-as mentioned, 
your baby, I respect.)
Perhaps you could leave the thread as-is and any helpful post/articles could be 
incorproted into the wiki? I see this as a good way to generate loads of wiki 
pages at relatively little effort and/or inspiration.

And it's a brilliant idea, the LOST. :) 

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
Post to : lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Lubuntu-desktop] Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

2011-11-03 Thread Tim Bernhard
A. J.,

The one stop Lubuntu thread looks great!  I love what you've done with the
first three posts and can tell you have put a lot of work in to it.  I did
have one suggestion that I think will make it even more useful.  I posted
it to the thread.  You can read it here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11419826postcount=116

I took ownership of a forum
threadhttp://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/424213-acer-aspire-1410-1810-timeline-11-6-thread.htmla
couple of years ago and it became unmanageable within a month.  There
were so many different discussions going on at once it was hard to keep up
with them.  I wanted to keep adding the most useful items to the beginning
of the thread, but couldn't because there was so much going on.  To make
matters worse,  people would often think they had a problem solved and I
would dig through multiple posts trying to add the solution to the top of
the thread only to find out it didn't work after all.  Now the thread is
over 4200 posts long and contains a wealth of useful information but it's
nearly impossible to find it.  Doing a simple search on something like
battery life returns 240 of posts with most of them being useless.   It
would have been much better if I had been able to post a like to a thread
that held that discussion on its own.  People would come to the thread late
in the game with issues that had already been solved, but it was nearly
impossible to find the answers in the thread and the people who could
answer them had moved on to the next latest and greatest laptop and were no
longer active participants in that thread.

I hope this helps.

Tim


On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Tim Bernhard ohiom...@gmail.com wrote:

 This should be very useful as long as you take ownership and keep it up to
 date and until it gets so big it's impossible to navigate.   It should
 prove useful for this release and a new one could be started for subsequent
 releases.

 Tim

 On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Ali Linx amjja...@gmail.com wrote:


 Dear All,

 I think this will be the first Mega Lubuntu Thread on Ubuntu Forum. Since
 my most activities on the Forum and because I'm trying to put together
 everything related to Lubuntu in one place, I have decided to create this
 thread:

 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755

 Before, it was just a thread with two guides but now, it has another
 purpose and aim.

 Thank you!

 P.S.
 Needless to say that your contributions will be highly appreciated ;)


 --
 Best Regards,

 *A.J
 amjjawad*
 My Blog http://amjjawad.wordpress.com | My Wiki 
 Pagehttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad| My
 Launchpad https://launchpad.net/%7Eamjjawad | My Ubuntu Forum 
 Profilehttp://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=941822

 *~ My Actions Speak Louder Than My Words || ** I walk by faith, not by
 sight **|| Imagination is more important than Knowledge || **Keep It
 Simple and Short** ~ *


 ___
 Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
 Post to : lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net
 Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
 More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp



___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
Post to : lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Lubuntu-desktop] Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

2011-11-03 Thread James Gifford
Not to sound like I'm pushing or anything, but in regards to that 4.2K
posts thread, most of them useless but some of them useful, this is
where the Ask Ubuntu format is good, since the accepted answer (in
otherwords, the one that is most helpful) will *always* be on top.

Just a thought, but the mythbuntu team is migrating from the forums to
AU over the next several weeks, no reason why Lubuntu couldn't migrate
over as well.

Cheers,
James Gifford



On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 8:05 AM, Tim Bernhard ohiom...@gmail.com wrote:
 A. J.,

 The one stop Lubuntu thread looks great!  I love what you've done with the
 first three posts and can tell you have put a lot of work in to it.  I did
 have one suggestion that I think will make it even more useful.  I posted it
 to the thread.  You can read it here:
 http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11419826postcount=116

 I took ownership of a forum thread a couple of years ago and it became
 unmanageable within a month.  There were so many different discussions going
 on at once it was hard to keep up with them.  I wanted to keep adding the
 most useful items to the beginning of the thread, but couldn't because there
 was so much going on.  To make matters worse,  people would often think they
 had a problem solved and I would dig through multiple posts trying to add
 the solution to the top of the thread only to find out it didn't work after
 all.  Now the thread is over 4200 posts long and contains a wealth of useful
 information but it's nearly impossible to find it.  Doing a simple search on
 something like battery life returns 240 of posts with most of them being
 useless.   It would have been much better if I had been able to post a like
 to a thread that held that discussion on its own.  People would come to the
 thread late in the game with issues that had already been solved, but it was
 nearly impossible to find the answers in the thread and the people who could
 answer them had moved on to the next latest and greatest laptop and were no
 longer active participants in that thread.

 I hope this helps.

 Tim


 On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Tim Bernhard ohiom...@gmail.com wrote:

 This should be very useful as long as you take ownership and keep it up to
 date and until it gets so big it's impossible to navigate.   It should prove
 useful for this release and a new one could be started for subsequent
 releases.

 Tim

 On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Ali Linx amjja...@gmail.com wrote:

 Dear All,

 I think this will be the first Mega Lubuntu Thread on Ubuntu Forum. Since
 my most activities on the Forum and because I'm trying to put together
 everything related to Lubuntu in one place, I have decided to create this
 thread:

 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755

 Before, it was just a thread with two guides but now, it has another
 purpose and aim.

 Thank you!

 P.S.
 Needless to say that your contributions will be highly appreciated ;)


 --
 Best Regards,

 A.J
 amjjawad
 My Blog | My Wiki Page | My Launchpad | My Ubuntu Forum Profile

 ~ My Actions Speak Louder Than My Words || I walk by faith, not by sight
 || Imagination is more important than Knowledge || Keep It Simple and Short
 ~

 ___
 Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
 Post to     : lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net
 Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
 More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp




 ___
 Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
 Post to     : lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net
 Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
 More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp



___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
Post to : lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Lubuntu-desktop] Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

2011-11-03 Thread Tim Bernhard
Another great idea!

I like it, but the most useful answer to what?  There were 100s of topics
being discussed in that laptop thread.  The one stop thread is still a nice
clearing house for all things Lubuntu.  Plus some topics might not
actually be issues.  Those might be better served with a traditional
thread.

It might be most useful to ask users with issues to start their subtopics
in Ask Ubuntu and still use A.J.s thread to list them.   No???



On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 8:16 AM, James Gifford ja...@jamesrgifford.comwrote:

 Not to sound like I'm pushing or anything, but in regards to that 4.2K
 posts thread, most of them useless but some of them useful, this is
 where the Ask Ubuntu format is good, since the accepted answer (in
 otherwords, the one that is most helpful) will *always* be on top.

 Just a thought, but the mythbuntu team is migrating from the forums to
 AU over the next several weeks, no reason why Lubuntu couldn't migrate
 over as well.

 Cheers,
 James Gifford



 On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 8:05 AM, Tim Bernhard ohiom...@gmail.com wrote:
  A. J.,
 
  The one stop Lubuntu thread looks great!  I love what you've done with
 the
  first three posts and can tell you have put a lot of work in to it.  I
 did
  have one suggestion that I think will make it even more useful.  I
 posted it
  to the thread.  You can read it here:
  http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11419826postcount=116
 
  I took ownership of a forum thread a couple of years ago and it became
  unmanageable within a month.  There were so many different discussions
 going
  on at once it was hard to keep up with them.  I wanted to keep adding the
  most useful items to the beginning of the thread, but couldn't because
 there
  was so much going on.  To make matters worse,  people would often think
 they
  had a problem solved and I would dig through multiple posts trying to add
  the solution to the top of the thread only to find out it didn't work
 after
  all.  Now the thread is over 4200 posts long and contains a wealth of
 useful
  information but it's nearly impossible to find it.  Doing a simple
 search on
  something like battery life returns 240 of posts with most of them
 being
  useless.   It would have been much better if I had been able to post a
 like
  to a thread that held that discussion on its own.  People would come to
 the
  thread late in the game with issues that had already been solved, but it
 was
  nearly impossible to find the answers in the thread and the people who
 could
  answer them had moved on to the next latest and greatest laptop and were
 no
  longer active participants in that thread.
 
  I hope this helps.
 
  Tim
 
 
  On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Tim Bernhard ohiom...@gmail.com
 wrote:
 
  This should be very useful as long as you take ownership and keep it up
 to
  date and until it gets so big it's impossible to navigate.   It should
 prove
  useful for this release and a new one could be started for subsequent
  releases.
 
  Tim
 
  On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Ali Linx amjja...@gmail.com wrote:
 
  Dear All,
 
  I think this will be the first Mega Lubuntu Thread on Ubuntu Forum.
 Since
  my most activities on the Forum and because I'm trying to put together
  everything related to Lubuntu in one place, I have decided to create
 this
  thread:
 
  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755
 
  Before, it was just a thread with two guides but now, it has another
  purpose and aim.
 
  Thank you!
 
  P.S.
  Needless to say that your contributions will be highly appreciated ;)
 
 
  --
  Best Regards,
 
  A.J
  amjjawad
  My Blog | My Wiki Page | My Launchpad | My Ubuntu Forum Profile
 
  ~ My Actions Speak Louder Than My Words || I walk by faith, not by
 sight
  || Imagination is more important than Knowledge || Keep It Simple and
 Short
  ~
 
  ___
  Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
  Post to : lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net
  Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
  More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
 
 
 
 
  ___
  Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
  Post to : lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net
  Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
  More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
 
 

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
Post to : lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Lubuntu-desktop] Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

2011-11-03 Thread Jared Norris
 On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 8:16 AM, James Gifford ja...@jamesrgifford.com
 wrote:

 Not to sound like I'm pushing or anything, but in regards to that 4.2K
 posts thread, most of them useless but some of them useful, this is
 where the Ask Ubuntu format is good, since the accepted answer (in
 otherwords, the one that is most helpful) will *always* be on top.

 Just a thought, but the mythbuntu team is migrating from the forums to
 AU over the next several weeks, no reason why Lubuntu couldn't migrate
 over as well.

 Cheers,
 James Gifford




My personal preference is to use each segment to the best of it's
ability. The help.u.c/community wiki is useful for howto guides useful
to large audiences, the forums are good for one on one assistance, the
mailing list usually gets help reasonably quickly, IRC is instant and
AU has it's own little place.

We have so many ways to contribute information to the general public,
I think as long as we choose the best option for the type of
information we're trying to request or present then it doesn't really
matter *where* it is.

-- 
Regards,

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
Post to : lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Lubuntu-desktop] Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

2011-11-03 Thread Phill Whiteside
Hi lubunteers,

The most important thing is that each part is up to date. The more we
diverge into different areas, the more impossible this becomes.

I put up to people that our official wiki area should be 1st source and all
other areas should point to it.

We have already had this discussion wıth lubuntu.net pointıng to out of
date stuff and ıt was corrected. There is not a snow flake in hells chance
for our small team to keep every area up to date.

My proposal was, is and continues to be that we PRIMARILY use our wiki area
that includes 'How To' and 'Work Arounds' that are pointed to as. From all
the other areas, a link that is updated is silly. People bookmark them. As
renewed 'How Tos' / Work arounds are placed onto the forum etc. they must
be then put onto the wiki area so that we are 'all singing off the same
hymn sheet' Ali is excentlally placed to both look after the forum thread 
has proven to be good at wiki - So I vote for hım.

Having different sets of instructions / advice for people is simply going
to lead to the chaos that we see generally when someone 'googles' a problem.

I look forward to the replies, and, yes - we need them as to how we are
going to have to decide on where we keep the MASTER set of instructions.

Regards,

Phıll.



On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Jared Norris jrnor...@gmail.com wrote:

  On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 8:16 AM, James Gifford ja...@jamesrgifford.com
  wrote:
 
  Not to sound like I'm pushing or anything, but in regards to that 4.2K
  posts thread, most of them useless but some of them useful, this is
  where the Ask Ubuntu format is good, since the accepted answer (in
  otherwords, the one that is most helpful) will *always* be on top.
 
  Just a thought, but the mythbuntu team is migrating from the forums to
  AU over the next several weeks, no reason why Lubuntu couldn't migrate
  over as well.
 
  Cheers,
  James Gifford
 
 
 

 My personal preference is to use each segment to the best of it's
 ability. The help.u.c/community wiki is useful for howto guides useful
 to large audiences, the forums are good for one on one assistance, the
 mailing list usually gets help reasonably quickly, IRC is instant and
 AU has it's own little place.

 We have so many ways to contribute information to the general public,
 I think as long as we choose the best option for the type of
 information we're trying to request or present then it doesn't really
 matter *where* it is.

 --
 Regards,

 Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris

 ___
 Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
 Post to : lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net
 Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
 More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
Post to : lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Lubuntu-desktop] Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

2011-10-22 Thread Julien Lavergne

Le 21 oct. 2011 à 19:58, Ali Linx amjja...@gmail.com a écrit :

 
 Dear All,
 
 I think this will be the first Mega Lubuntu Thread on Ubuntu Forum. Since my 
 most activities on the Forum and because I'm trying to put together 
 everything related to Lubuntu in one place, I have decided to create this 
 thread:
 
 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755
 
 Before, it was just a thread with two guides but now, it has another purpose 
 and aim.
 
 Thank you!
 
 P.S.
 Needless to say that your contributions will be highly appreciated ;)
 

Good idea, thanks for your work :)
Please also keep links on the wiki to this thread, so people searching on the 
documentation can find easily this valuable source of information.

Regards,
Julien Lavergne___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
Post to : lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Lubuntu-desktop] Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

2011-10-22 Thread Ali Linx
Thank you so much for your nice words, I appreciate that :)

@Tim

This should be very useful as long as you take ownership and keep it up to
 date and until it gets so big it's impossible to navigate.   It should prove
 useful for this release and a new one could be started for subsequent
 releases.


I'll update it on daily basis whether on this release or the coming ones :)
With the index page on the first post, it's impossible that it will be hard
to navigate ;) By time, you'll understand what I mean.
I've seen some threads like GRUB2 Threads but drs305 which are great threads
but hard to navigate because there is NO index page/post that will point you
to exactly where you want.

Thank you again :)


@Lance

Looks great, I like it :^)

 I've had very little desk time lately but I think that's a great idea.
 Possibly around December or January I can help contribute to that.

 Thanks for your dedication,



Appreciate that :)
Don't worry about that, take your time.
My pleasure and I'm glad to dedicate my time to this great time. Thanks for
your words :)


@Julien

Good idea, thanks for your work :)
 Please also keep links on the wiki to this thread, so people searching on
 the documentation can find easily this valuable source of information.


You are most welcome and it's my pleasure to help :)
I'll do that once I'm done with adding more stuff. I'm planning to add other
links, posts and stuff like that.
Thank you so much for your nice and encouraging words :)



On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Julien Lavergne gi...@ubuntu.com wrote:


 Le 21 oct. 2011 à 19:58, Ali Linx amjja...@gmail.com a écrit :


 Dear All,

 I think this will be the first Mega Lubuntu Thread on Ubuntu Forum. Since
 my most activities on the Forum and because I'm trying to put together
 everything related to Lubuntu in one place, I have decided to create this
 thread:

 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755

 Before, it was just a thread with two guides but now, it has another
 purpose and aim.

 Thank you!

 P.S.
 Needless to say that your contributions will be highly appreciated ;)






-- 
Best Regards,

*A.J
amjjawad*
My Blog http://amjjawad.wordpress.com | My Wiki
Pagehttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad| My
Launchpad https://launchpad.net/%7Eamjjawad | My Ubuntu Forum
Profilehttp://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=941822

*~ My Actions Speak Louder Than My Words || ** I walk by faith, not by sight
**|| Imagination is more important than Knowledge || **Keep It Simple and
Short** ~ *
___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
Post to : lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


[Lubuntu-desktop] Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

2011-10-21 Thread Ali Linx
Dear All,

I think this will be the first Mega Lubuntu Thread on Ubuntu Forum. Since my
most activities on the Forum and because I'm trying to put together
everything related to Lubuntu in one place, I have decided to create this
thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755

Before, it was just a thread with two guides but now, it has another purpose
and aim.

Thank you!

P.S.
Needless to say that your contributions will be highly appreciated ;)


-- 
Best Regards,

*A.J
amjjawad*
My Blog http://amjjawad.wordpress.com | My Wiki
Pagehttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad| My
Launchpad https://launchpad.net/%7Eamjjawad | My Ubuntu Forum
Profilehttp://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=941822

*~ My Actions Speak Louder Than My Words || ** I walk by faith, not by sight
**|| Imagination is more important than Knowledge || **Keep It Simple and
Short** ~ *
___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
Post to : lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Lubuntu-desktop] Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

2011-10-21 Thread Tim Bernhard
This should be very useful as long as you take ownership and keep it up to
date and until it gets so big it's impossible to navigate.   It should prove
useful for this release and a new one could be started for subsequent
releases.

Tim

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Ali Linx amjja...@gmail.com wrote:


 Dear All,

 I think this will be the first Mega Lubuntu Thread on Ubuntu Forum. Since
 my most activities on the Forum and because I'm trying to put together
 everything related to Lubuntu in one place, I have decided to create this
 thread:

 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755

 Before, it was just a thread with two guides but now, it has another
 purpose and aim.

 Thank you!

 P.S.
 Needless to say that your contributions will be highly appreciated ;)


 --
 Best Regards,

 *A.J
 amjjawad*
 My Blog http://amjjawad.wordpress.com | My Wiki 
 Pagehttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad| My
 Launchpad https://launchpad.net/%7Eamjjawad | My Ubuntu Forum 
 Profilehttp://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=941822

 *~ My Actions Speak Louder Than My Words || ** I walk by faith, not by
 sight **|| Imagination is more important than Knowledge || **Keep It
 Simple and Short** ~ *


 ___
 Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
 Post to : lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net
 Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
 More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
Post to : lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Lubuntu-desktop] Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

2011-10-21 Thread Lance
Looks great, I like it :^)

I've had very little desk time lately but I think that's a great idea. Possibly 
around December or January I can help contribute to that.

Thanks for your dedication,

Lance

--- On Fri, 10/21/11, Ali Linx amjja...@gmail.com wrote:

From: Ali Linx amjja...@gmail.com
Subject: [Lubuntu-desktop] Lubuntu - One Stop Thread
To: lubuntu-desktop lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net
Date: Friday, October 21, 2011, 12:58 PM


Dear All,

I think this will be the first Mega Lubuntu Thread on Ubuntu Forum. Since my 
most activities on the Forum and because I'm trying to put together everything 
related to Lubuntu in one place, I have decided to create this thread:


http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755

Before, it was just a thread with two guides but now, it has another purpose 
and aim.

Thank you!


P.S.
Needless to say that your contributions will be highly appreciated ;)


-- 
Best Regards,


A.J
amjjawad
My Blog | My Wiki Page | My Launchpad | My Ubuntu Forum Profile


~ My Actions Speak Louder Than My Words ||  I walk by faith, not by sight || 
Imagination is more important than Knowledge || Keep It Simple and Short ~ 




-Inline Attachment Follows-

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
Post to     : lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
Post to : lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp