help me with a layout module, please!

2009-04-05 Thread Vito De Tullio
I'm making a small layout module around the package frontespizio
(http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/frontespizio/), but
I'm a novice, and I need help.
I need to know if (and how!) is possible to:

1) force the documentclass (book, article) to use the titlepage ambient.
2) tell lyx that, to generate the pdf (via pdflatex), it must do 3 passes
   (pass 0): generate the FILE.tex from FILE.lyx (as all documents, I think)
   (pass 1): pdflatex FILE.tex (as all documents?)
   (pass 2): pdflatex FILE-frn.tex (this file is auto-generated!)
   (pass 3): pdflatex FILE.tex (include the FILE-frn.pdf)

-- 
By ZeD



Re: LyX vs. wordprocessors

2009-04-05 Thread Wolfgang Keller
 Just the same as I do on the LyX list, I brought up the fact that if you want 
 to, you can do styles based authoring on MS Word just as easily as on TeX or 
 LaTeX or LyX, and in fact I've written a complete book in WordPerfect 5.1 and 
 another in MS Word, using nothing but styles. And of course a debate 
 ensued :-)

I've been using structure markup as The Natural Way to work with documents 
for 20 years, the first time with Wordperfect on DOS 3.3, long before I even 
heard of the existence of LaTeX or SGML.
 
 But then one guy brought up an irrefutable point which I think might be an 
 outstanding talking point of LyX. He said that wordprocessing documents often 
 get so messed up, format wise, that they can't be salvaged without saving to 
 text and reformatting everything. I've certainly seen such a MS Word doc -- I 
 think we all have.

In fact in collaborative environments (e.g. companies), where several people 
work together on the same document, Word documents _always_ end up like that - 
A hopelessly tangled spaghetti mess. In fact I never managed to figure out how 
to copy and paste content from two different versions of a document, which are 
both perfectly well styled and which were created using the same template 
in such a way that the resulting document isn't messed up.

Other document processors (Framemaker, Wordperfect, RagTime, Nisus, Mellel...) 
show how to implement this a _lot_ better. Interestingly, OpenOffice is the 
only one I know of that does as badly as MS Word.

With Wordperfect, there's Reveal Codes, which allows you to see what's wrong 
and fix it.

With SGML/XML environments, you can show the tags and edit them directly.

 With TeX or LaTeX or LyX, almost always coding errors immediately make the 
 doc 
 uncompileable, so you see it right away. The one exception is when a document 
 class silently reverts to the default, and I showed how to prevent that here:
 
 http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/lyx/surefire_layout.htm
 
 So I think one LyX talking point to add is that with LyX, you seldom get docs 
 that format themselves into uselessness.

You can mess up a document with finger-painting in LaTeX/LyX as well, 
however. And those im-/export filters that I know of do so.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang


Re: LyX vs. wordprocessors

2009-04-05 Thread E. Kaplan
/With Wordperfect, there's Reveal Codes, which allows you to see 
what's wrong and fix it//
Not trying to defend WORD, which has steadily deteriorated from being 
good to being unusable, but in it you can also see the field codes and 
correct them, if you know what you are doing.  It is ugly, but not much 
harder than Lyx/Latex.




Ehud Kaplan



Wolfgang Keller wrote:
Just the same as I do on the LyX list, I brought up the fact that if you want 
to, you can do styles based authoring on MS Word just as easily as on TeX or 
LaTeX or LyX, and in fact I've written a complete book in WordPerfect 5.1 and 
another in MS Word, using nothing but styles. And of course a debate 
ensued :-)



I've been using structure markup as The Natural Way to work with documents 
for 20 years, the first time with Wordperfect on DOS 3.3, long before I even heard of the 
existence of LaTeX or SGML.
 
  
But then one guy brought up an irrefutable point which I think might be an 
outstanding talking point of LyX. He said that wordprocessing documents often 
get so messed up, format wise, that they can't be salvaged without saving to 
text and reformatting everything. I've certainly seen such a MS Word doc -- I 
think we all have.



In fact in collaborative environments (e.g. companies), where several people work together on the 
same document, Word documents _always_ end up like that - A hopelessly tangled spaghetti mess. In 
fact I never managed to figure out how to copy and paste content from two different versions of a 
document, which are both perfectly well styled and which were created using the same 
template in such a way that the resulting document isn't messed up.

Other document processors (Framemaker, Wordperfect, RagTime, Nisus, Mellel...) 
show how to implement this a _lot_ better. Interestingly, OpenOffice is the 
only one I know of that does as badly as MS Word.

With Wordperfect, there's Reveal Codes, which allows you to see what's wrong 
and fix it.

With SGML/XML environments, you can show the tags and edit them directly.

  
With TeX or LaTeX or LyX, almost always coding errors immediately make the doc 
uncompileable, so you see it right away. The one exception is when a document 
class silently reverts to the default, and I showed how to prevent that here:


http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/lyx/surefire_layout.htm

So I think one LyX talking point to add is that with LyX, you seldom get docs 
that format themselves into uselessness.



You can mess up a document with finger-painting in LaTeX/LyX as well, 
however. And those im-/export filters that I know of do so.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang
  


Re: N00bie font issues

2009-04-05 Thread Jürgen Spitzmüller
Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
  Furthermore, the SAMPA-like IPA insertion thing is like 15 years out of
  date. Linguists today use straight Unicode insertion via the Unicode
  code point. But that's OK, I have figured out how to enter the Unicode
  number to get the character I want in general text without having to
  use a TIPA box.

 I think this statement (Linguists today) is too general. I very much
 prefer the TIPA shortcut notation over unicode codepoints, because
 insertion is much faster. Also, the TIPA package gives you much better
 microtypographic quality (at least on LyX), because the unicode method will
 break character kerning (as long as you do not use XeTeX, that is).

I have to add that you will most likely _need_ to use XeTeX in order to use 
the unicode characters of other fonts. With LaTeX, LyX will automatically fall 
back to the TIPA package for glyphs in the IPA range (since the font packages 
usually do not support these glyphs), so you'll get the TIPA font for the IPA 
glyphs anyway.

XeTeX might also solve the font installation problem, since it can use system 
fonts. However, LyX's support for XeTeX is still underdevelopped.

Look here:
http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/XeTeX

Jürgen


BibTeX citations won't load in 1.6.2 on XP

2009-04-05 Thread Yury Davidouski

Hi there,

I have created a BibTeX file using BibEdt for Windows but I cannot seem to  
be able to insert citations into LyX projects. The citations database  
seems to be loading fine yet when Insert/Citation... is pressed there  
are no citations available in the list.


I've spent a couple of days already trying to figure out what is going on,  
am I missing something obvious?


--
Yurik


Re: BibTeX citations won't load in 1.6.2 on XP

2009-04-05 Thread rgheck

Yury Davidouski wrote:

Hi there,

I have created a BibTeX file using BibEdt for Windows but I cannot 
seem to be able to insert citations into LyX projects. The citations 
database seems to be loading fine yet when Insert/Citation... is 
pressed there are no citations available in the list.


I've spent a couple of days already trying to figure out what is going 
on, am I missing something obvious?


You've done InsertLists and TOCBibTeX Bibliography, right? Silly 
question, perhaps.


If so, then there has to be some catastrophic error in the database 
that's preventing proper parsing. Try starting LyX from a terminal or, 
if you like, send me the database and your file privately, and I'll have 
a look.


rh




Re: BibTeX citations won't load in 1.6.2 on XP

2009-04-05 Thread Yury Davidouski

Hi rh,

I think I'll just email it to you in a second to have a look.

Also I messed around a bit with the Christian Ridderström's BibTeX example  
available at http://wiki.lyx.org/Examples/SimpleUseOfBibTeX
strangely enough, the citations work within the example file, but even if  
you try to use his database in your own project the same story happens --  
no citations are visible.


On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 14:27:52 +0100, rgheck rgh...@comcast.net wrote:


Yury Davidouski wrote:

Hi there,

I have created a BibTeX file using BibEdt for Windows but I cannot seem  
to be able to insert citations into LyX projects. The citations  
database seems to be loading fine yet when Insert/Citation... is  
pressed there are no citations available in the list.


I've spent a couple of days already trying to figure out what is going  
on, am I missing something obvious?


You've done InsertLists and TOCBibTeX Bibliography, right? Silly  
question, perhaps.


If so, then there has to be some catastrophic error in the database  
that's preventing proper parsing. Try starting LyX from a terminal or,  
if you like, send me the database and your file privately, and I'll have  
a look.


rh






--
Yurik


Re: LyX vs. wordprocessors

2009-04-05 Thread Rich Shepard

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, Wolfgang Keller wrote:


In fact in collaborative environments (e.g. companies), where several
people work together on the same document, Word documents _always_ end up
like that - A hopelessly tangled spaghetti mess. In fact I never managed
to figure out how to copy and paste content from two different versions of
a document, which are both perfectly well styled and which were created
using the same template in such a way that the resulting document isn't
messed up.


  I'm surprised that no one seems to use the most reasonable solution for
collaborative text: have everyone use plain text and only futz with
formatting when you agree on a final version. It may not look pretty, but
it's efficient.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.   |  IntegrityCredibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.|Innovation
http://www.appl-ecosys.com Voice: 503-667-4517  Fax: 503-667-8863


Re: LyX vs. wordprocessors

2009-04-05 Thread Stefano Franchi
On Sunday 05 April 2009 10:06:38 Rich Shepard wrote:
 On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, Wolfgang Keller wrote:
  In fact in collaborative environments (e.g. companies), where several
  people work together on the same document, Word documents _always_ end up
  like that - A hopelessly tangled spaghetti mess. In fact I never managed
  to figure out how to copy and paste content from two different versions
  of a document, which are both perfectly well styled and which were
  created using the same template in such a way that the resulting
  document isn't messed up.

I'm surprised that no one seems to use the most reasonable solution for
 collaborative text: have everyone use plain text and only futz with
 formatting when you agree on a final version. It may not look pretty, but
 it's efficient.

 Rich


The problem with that suggestion is that very often, if not always, proper 
formatting is actually part of the content and therefore object of the various 
collaborative tasks. I'll just give you a not so silly example from academia: 
grant proposals have severe constraints on how and how long your various 
descriptions, proposal, work, etcetera shoudl be expressed (and understandably 
so). As you can imagine, proper formatting---right fonts, correct headings, 
etcetera---becomes an essential part of the output which cannot, therefore, be 
added at the end. What if, for instance, a different formatting makes the 
project description too long and its essential punch line must be cut? 

S.


__
Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy  Ph:  (979) 862-2211
Texas AM University  Fax: (979) 845-0458
305B Bolton Hall  fran...@philosophy.tamu.edu
College Station, TX 77843-4237



No longer able to cross-reference between files?

2009-04-05 Thread Rudi Gaelzer
I'm using Lyx 1.6.2.  Some time ago, I was able to cross-reference equations 
belonging to a different LyX file, which is neither a child nor a master 
document.  All I had to do was to create the .aux file for the first document, 
open both documents, and then use the xr.sty package with the 
\externaldocument{} command in the second document's preamble.

Then, when I inserted a cross-reference, I would have the possibility to 
choose labels belonging to the first document and reference them in the second 
document.

Now, even when I have both documents open, I no longer have access to the 
first document's references when I'm working on the second.

Does anyone knows what is happening here?

Thanks.
-- 
Rudi Gaelzer
Department of Physics
Institute of Physics and Mathematics
Federal University of Pelotas
BRAZIL
Registered linux user # 153741


Re: N00bie font issues

2009-04-05 Thread John Jason Jordan
On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 13:11:29 +0200
Jürgen Spitzmüller sp...@lyx.org dijo:

 John Jason Jordan wrote:
  Furthermore, the SAMPA-like IPA insertion thing is like 15 years out of
  date. Linguists today use straight Unicode insertion via the Unicode
  code point. But that's OK, I have figured out how to enter the Unicode
  number to get the character I want in general text without having to
  use a TIPA box.
 
 I think this statement (Linguists today) is too general. I very much prefer 
 the TIPA shortcut notation over unicode codepoints, because insertion is much 
 faster. Also, the TIPA package gives you much better microtypographic quality 
 (at least on LyX), because the unicode method will break character kerning 
 (as 
 long as you do not use XeTeX, that is).
 
 But tastes may differ.

OK, just consider that I am too lazy to learn the old way. I have
memorized all the code points for the IPA characters. But I discovered
that I can go to Insert  Special Character  Symbols and click on the
character there. 

Your point about kerning is well taken. But I absolutely cannot stand
Times, and Computer Modern is even uglier. If those are my only choices
then best I abandon the effort to learn Lyx right now. However, if I
can get Bera Serif, Concrete Roman, Nimbus Roman and KP Serif
installed, and if one of them has the proper characters, then I am
happy to give up the kerning. I assume that there is a way to do manual
kerning in Lyx somewhere, and I can do that if something is really bad.

  The problem is that the fonts that are installed by default in Lyx that
  I find aesthetically acceptable (Bitstream Charter, Utopia) do not have
  the necessary IPA and combining diacriticals blocks. There is the
  possibility of Bera Serif and Concrete Roman, but they were not
  installed by default and I can't figure out how to install them.
 
 What LaTeX distribution are you running? Recent distributions should do the 
 installation for you on request.

I have been working only in Lyx, which is 1.6.1 on Ubuntu Intrepid.

  Apparently there are TeX font packages for the above two, and also
  several others. I am especially interested in Nimbus because I have the
  regular TT version installed and it does have the IPA characters that I
  need.
 
  The problem is that I cannot figure out how to install these font
  packages. Can someone give an idiot n00bie a step-by-step how-to?
 
 Most packages come with an installation instruction (and the installation 
 slightly differs, depending on the package).

I'm so stupid that I can't even figure out what the package means. I
go to CTAN and I find that each font involves a bunch of files. For
example, here is the directory of the Nimbus font:

http://www.ctan.org/cgi-bin/filenameSearch.py?filename=nimbusSearch=Search

There is no README in that directory. I guess you're just supposed to
know what to do with those files. Sadly, I am too new to Lyx to know
that. I also can't find any options in Lyx where it will install fonts
for me.

You mention LaTeX, and I am sure it is installed, but I can't figure
out how to launch it. From the command line it just appears to expect
me to start typing something. Is it a command line only application?

Regarding which version I have, from the command line I got this:

latex --version
pdfTeX using libpoppler 3.141592-1.40.3-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.6)
kpathsea version 3.5.6
Copyright 2007 Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
Kpathsea is copyright 2007 Karl Berry and Olaf Weber.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the pdfTeX using libpoppler copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the pdfTeX using libpoppler source.
Primary author of pdfTeX using libpoppler: Peter Breitenlohner
(eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX). Kpathsea written by Karl Berry, Olaf
Weber, and others.

Compiled with libpng 1.2.27; using libpng 1.2.27
Compiled with zlib 1.2.3.3; using zlib 1.2.3.3
Compiled with libpoppler version 3.00

Other than that, I don't know what version it is. But I installed it
with Synaptic, so it's whatever the latest version in the Ubuntu
Intrepid repositories is.

I did warn that I am an idiot, did I not? :)


How to adjust float figure behavior?

2009-04-05 Thread Sophie (itsme213)
At the moment, when I use a float figure it typically appears before the 
point where it is introduced in the text, often appears in the middle/end of 
the *previous* section.

Is there a way to get float figures to appear at or after the point in the 
text where they are introduced, even if that means the top of the *next* 
page?

Thanks! 





Re: How to adjust float figure behavior?

2009-04-05 Thread Vincent van Ravesteijn

Sophie (itsme213) schreef:
At the moment, when I use a float figure it typically appears before the 
point where it is introduced in the text, often appears in the middle/end of 
the *previous* section.


Is there a way to get float figures to appear at or after the point in the 
text where they are introduced, even if that means the top of the *next* 
page?


Thanks!
Yes, right-click on the float's button, and deselect Use default 
placement and choose : Here if possible or Here definitely (which 
depends on how desperate you are).


Vincent


Re: How to adjust float figure behavior?

2009-04-05 Thread Florian Rubach

Sophie (itsme213) schrieb:
At the moment, when I use a float figure it typically appears before the 
point where it is introduced in the text, often appears in the middle/end of 
the *previous* section.


Is there a way to get float figures to appear at or after the point in the 
text where they are introduced, even if that means the top of the *next* 
page?


Thanks! 


I suggest you try the placeins-package ( 
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/placeins.html ).
It provides the command \FloatBarrier which helps keeping floats between 
defined points.
In case you don't know, you can add \usepackage{placeins} to your 
document preamble and insert \FloatBarrier at any point you want in 
TeX-Code (crtl+L).


Regards,
Florian




Re: help me with a layout module, please!

2009-04-05 Thread Vito De Tullio
Vito De Tullio wrote:

 I need to know if (and how!) is possible to:
 1) force the documentclass (book, article) to use the titlepage ambient.

mmm
I think this is resolved, using: ClassOptions Other titlepage End

 2) tell lyx that, to generate the pdf (via pdflatex), it must do 3 passes
(pass 0): generate the FILE.tex from FILE.lyx (as all documents, I
think) 
(pass 1): pdflatex FILE.tex (as all documents?) 
(pass 2): pdflatex FILE-frn.tex (this file is auto-generated!)
(pass 3): pdflatex FILE.tex (include the FILE-frn.pdf)

I did not find any suggestion on the web
does this make sense? can a .module say something like that to lyx?

on http://github.com/ZeeD/frontespizio/ I set up a little git repo to the
file, if anyone can help me.

-- 
By ZeD



Re: No longer able to cross-reference between files?

2009-04-05 Thread Abdelrazak Younes

On 05/04/2009 18:37, Rudi Gaelzer wrote:

I'm using Lyx 1.6.2.  Some time ago, I was able to cross-reference equations
belonging to a different LyX file, which is neither a child nor a master
document.  All I had to do was to create the .aux file for the first document,
open both documents, and then use the xr.sty package with the
\externaldocument{} command in the second document's preamble.

Then, when I inserted a cross-reference, I would have the possibility to
choose labels belonging to the first document and reference them in the second
document.

Now, even when I have both documents open, I no longer have access to the
first document's references when I'm working on the second.

Does anyone knows what is happening here?


Haha, now we know what this was about!
FYI we just hide the document selection combo since 1.6.0 because nobody 
knew why this was needed. Maybe we can restore it back in 1.6.3 as we 
found a user :-)


Abdel.



Re: N00bie font issues

2009-04-05 Thread Abdelrazak Younes

On 05/04/2009 19:19, John Jason Jordan wrote:

I did warn that I am an idiot, did I not? :)


I am sure you are not. But I am also sure you did not read the 
documentation ;-)
Try to read at least the Introduction and the Tutorial, this would do 
you much good.


Abdel.



right hand margin when font:family=typewriter

2009-04-05 Thread Joe(theWordy)Philbrook

I really don't want to start micro managing all the margin settings. 
whatever lyx actually defaults to mostly works. But I noticed that if a set 
a few paragraphs to the font family of typewriter the right hand margin of 
that section of the pdf output file seems to only be about 0.25 inch...

I would like the minimum right hand margin to NEVER be less than 0.5 inch.
So I poked around the menu settings of (at the moment I'm using lyx 1.5.6)
And the closest I can find to a setting for this is the input dialog for:

document:settings:Page margins

Which has a check box to use default settings or whatever values I
choose to type in. Biggest problem is that if I'm going to set any of
these, then I need to set all of them. Second biggest problem is that I
don't know what all the default values are. and the third biggest
problem with using this setting is that I don't see any way to get a
larger margin in use for the font family of typewriter, without
enlarging the near perfect right hand margin I'm getting in the
majority of the document where the font family is usually roman, or
occasionally sans serif...

If it matters the document class is book (more font sizes)

Oh yeah, It's set for two sided output, So I'm guessing that instead
of talking Right hand margin I should probably say outer margin 
on the assumption that a book, would have a larger inner margin to
make room for the binding

Now I really don't understand why it's assumed that typewritten output
doesn't need the same right hand margin as the rest of the document???

But I suppose that there must be an ERT solution to do something like:

???what's the correct variable names  syntax???


put standard text here...

{OldOuter=outerpagemargin}
{outerpagemargin=0.5 inch}

Put typewritten page(s) here

{outerpagemargin=OldOuter}

put standard text here...

-- 
|  ~^~   ~^~
|  ?   ? Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
|  ^  J(tWdy)P
|\___/ jtw...@ttlc.net



Re: N00bie font issues

2009-04-05 Thread Abdelrazak Younes

On 05/04/2009 22:04, John Jason Jordan wrote:

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 21:12:28 +0200
Abdelrazak Younesyou...@lyx.org  dijo:

   

On 05/04/2009 19:19, John Jason Jordan wrote:
 

I did warn that I am an idiot, did I not? :)
   

I am sure you are not. But I am also sure you did not read the
documentation ;-)
Try to read at least the Introduction and the Tutorial, this would do
you much good.
 


I have done so, and also the LaTeX manual, but I haven't found one word
on how to INSTALL a font. Tons of examples on how to USE the font, but
I can't find any documentation on how to install the fonts that are on
CTAN.

Oh wait ... I did find one README that said to put the files in an
appropriate place. Gosh, that was helpful.

I must have poor googling skills, because I have spent an hour looking
for documentation without success.
   


Oh, that's something else. I was merely answering the part about what is 
LateX and what how to compile, etc. Sorry for the misunderstanding. 
Concerning fonts, as Juergen said, your best bet right now is to try 
XeTeX, which we don't fully support yet. See the wiki (the pages Juergen 
gave on wiki.lyx.org).


Abdel.



Re: My new environment

2009-04-05 Thread Pavel Sanda
Steve Litt wrote:
  convert to module and put it into wiki?
  pavel
 
 How do I make it into a module? I don't have 1.6.x yet.

no hope without 1.6 :)
pavel


Re: N00bie font issues

2009-04-05 Thread John Jason Jordan
On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 23:20:40 +0200
Abdelrazak Younes you...@lyx.org dijo:

 On 05/04/2009 22:04, John Jason Jordan wrote:
  On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 21:12:28 +0200
  Abdelrazak Younesyou...@lyx.org  dijo:

  I must have poor googling skills, because I have spent an hour looking
  for documentation without success.

 Oh, that's something else. I was merely answering the part about what is 
 LateX and what how to compile, etc. Sorry for the misunderstanding. 
 Concerning fonts, as Juergen said, your best bet right now is to try 
 XeTeX, which we don't fully support yet. See the wiki (the pages Juergen 
 gave on wiki.lyx.org).

I did succeed in getting Bera Serif installed. It had a README that
said where to put the files. Pain in the neck  because I had to do it
from the command line. But I finally got all the files in the right
places. Then I did texhash and udmap --enable Map bera.map. And then I
did a Reconfigure in Lyx, closed it, and restarted it, and the fonts
were there!

Stoked with success I did the same thing for the kpfonts package.
Except the kpfonts package had an installable zip file. I had to open
File Roller as root, but it seemed to install all the files in the
right folders. Then I did texhash again, and udmap --enable Map
kpfonts.map. The last command said at one point that it found the
kpfonts.map file and it didn't give any error messages about it. But
reconfiguring, stopping and restarting Lyx several times has failed to
get the kpfonts visible in the Document  Settings window.

So now I'm sad again. :(


help me with a layout module, please!

2009-04-05 Thread Vito De Tullio
I'm making a small layout module around the package frontespizio
(http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/frontespizio/), but
I'm a novice, and I need help.
I need to know if (and how!) is possible to:

1) force the documentclass (book, article) to use the titlepage ambient.
2) tell lyx that, to generate the pdf (via pdflatex), it must do 3 passes
   (pass 0): generate the FILE.tex from FILE.lyx (as all documents, I think)
   (pass 1): pdflatex FILE.tex (as all documents?)
   (pass 2): pdflatex FILE-frn.tex (this file is auto-generated!)
   (pass 3): pdflatex FILE.tex (include the FILE-frn.pdf)

-- 
By ZeD



Re: LyX vs. wordprocessors

2009-04-05 Thread Wolfgang Keller
 Just the same as I do on the LyX list, I brought up the fact that if you want 
 to, you can do styles based authoring on MS Word just as easily as on TeX or 
 LaTeX or LyX, and in fact I've written a complete book in WordPerfect 5.1 and 
 another in MS Word, using nothing but styles. And of course a debate 
 ensued :-)

I've been using structure markup as The Natural Way to work with documents 
for 20 years, the first time with Wordperfect on DOS 3.3, long before I even 
heard of the existence of LaTeX or SGML.
 
 But then one guy brought up an irrefutable point which I think might be an 
 outstanding talking point of LyX. He said that wordprocessing documents often 
 get so messed up, format wise, that they can't be salvaged without saving to 
 text and reformatting everything. I've certainly seen such a MS Word doc -- I 
 think we all have.

In fact in collaborative environments (e.g. companies), where several people 
work together on the same document, Word documents _always_ end up like that - 
A hopelessly tangled spaghetti mess. In fact I never managed to figure out how 
to copy and paste content from two different versions of a document, which are 
both perfectly well styled and which were created using the same template 
in such a way that the resulting document isn't messed up.

Other document processors (Framemaker, Wordperfect, RagTime, Nisus, Mellel...) 
show how to implement this a _lot_ better. Interestingly, OpenOffice is the 
only one I know of that does as badly as MS Word.

With Wordperfect, there's Reveal Codes, which allows you to see what's wrong 
and fix it.

With SGML/XML environments, you can show the tags and edit them directly.

 With TeX or LaTeX or LyX, almost always coding errors immediately make the 
 doc 
 uncompileable, so you see it right away. The one exception is when a document 
 class silently reverts to the default, and I showed how to prevent that here:
 
 http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/lyx/surefire_layout.htm
 
 So I think one LyX talking point to add is that with LyX, you seldom get docs 
 that format themselves into uselessness.

You can mess up a document with finger-painting in LaTeX/LyX as well, 
however. And those im-/export filters that I know of do so.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang


Re: LyX vs. wordprocessors

2009-04-05 Thread E. Kaplan
/With Wordperfect, there's Reveal Codes, which allows you to see 
what's wrong and fix it//
Not trying to defend WORD, which has steadily deteriorated from being 
good to being unusable, but in it you can also see the field codes and 
correct them, if you know what you are doing.  It is ugly, but not much 
harder than Lyx/Latex.




Ehud Kaplan



Wolfgang Keller wrote:
Just the same as I do on the LyX list, I brought up the fact that if you want 
to, you can do styles based authoring on MS Word just as easily as on TeX or 
LaTeX or LyX, and in fact I've written a complete book in WordPerfect 5.1 and 
another in MS Word, using nothing but styles. And of course a debate 
ensued :-)



I've been using structure markup as The Natural Way to work with documents 
for 20 years, the first time with Wordperfect on DOS 3.3, long before I even heard of the 
existence of LaTeX or SGML.
 
  
But then one guy brought up an irrefutable point which I think might be an 
outstanding talking point of LyX. He said that wordprocessing documents often 
get so messed up, format wise, that they can't be salvaged without saving to 
text and reformatting everything. I've certainly seen such a MS Word doc -- I 
think we all have.



In fact in collaborative environments (e.g. companies), where several people work together on the 
same document, Word documents _always_ end up like that - A hopelessly tangled spaghetti mess. In 
fact I never managed to figure out how to copy and paste content from two different versions of a 
document, which are both perfectly well styled and which were created using the same 
template in such a way that the resulting document isn't messed up.

Other document processors (Framemaker, Wordperfect, RagTime, Nisus, Mellel...) 
show how to implement this a _lot_ better. Interestingly, OpenOffice is the 
only one I know of that does as badly as MS Word.

With Wordperfect, there's Reveal Codes, which allows you to see what's wrong 
and fix it.

With SGML/XML environments, you can show the tags and edit them directly.

  
With TeX or LaTeX or LyX, almost always coding errors immediately make the doc 
uncompileable, so you see it right away. The one exception is when a document 
class silently reverts to the default, and I showed how to prevent that here:


http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/lyx/surefire_layout.htm

So I think one LyX talking point to add is that with LyX, you seldom get docs 
that format themselves into uselessness.



You can mess up a document with finger-painting in LaTeX/LyX as well, 
however. And those im-/export filters that I know of do so.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang
  


Re: N00bie font issues

2009-04-05 Thread Jürgen Spitzmüller
Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
  Furthermore, the SAMPA-like IPA insertion thing is like 15 years out of
  date. Linguists today use straight Unicode insertion via the Unicode
  code point. But that's OK, I have figured out how to enter the Unicode
  number to get the character I want in general text without having to
  use a TIPA box.

 I think this statement (Linguists today) is too general. I very much
 prefer the TIPA shortcut notation over unicode codepoints, because
 insertion is much faster. Also, the TIPA package gives you much better
 microtypographic quality (at least on LyX), because the unicode method will
 break character kerning (as long as you do not use XeTeX, that is).

I have to add that you will most likely _need_ to use XeTeX in order to use 
the unicode characters of other fonts. With LaTeX, LyX will automatically fall 
back to the TIPA package for glyphs in the IPA range (since the font packages 
usually do not support these glyphs), so you'll get the TIPA font for the IPA 
glyphs anyway.

XeTeX might also solve the font installation problem, since it can use system 
fonts. However, LyX's support for XeTeX is still underdevelopped.

Look here:
http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/XeTeX

Jürgen


BibTeX citations won't load in 1.6.2 on XP

2009-04-05 Thread Yury Davidouski

Hi there,

I have created a BibTeX file using BibEdt for Windows but I cannot seem to  
be able to insert citations into LyX projects. The citations database  
seems to be loading fine yet when Insert/Citation... is pressed there  
are no citations available in the list.


I've spent a couple of days already trying to figure out what is going on,  
am I missing something obvious?


--
Yurik


Re: BibTeX citations won't load in 1.6.2 on XP

2009-04-05 Thread rgheck

Yury Davidouski wrote:

Hi there,

I have created a BibTeX file using BibEdt for Windows but I cannot 
seem to be able to insert citations into LyX projects. The citations 
database seems to be loading fine yet when Insert/Citation... is 
pressed there are no citations available in the list.


I've spent a couple of days already trying to figure out what is going 
on, am I missing something obvious?


You've done InsertLists and TOCBibTeX Bibliography, right? Silly 
question, perhaps.


If so, then there has to be some catastrophic error in the database 
that's preventing proper parsing. Try starting LyX from a terminal or, 
if you like, send me the database and your file privately, and I'll have 
a look.


rh




Re: BibTeX citations won't load in 1.6.2 on XP

2009-04-05 Thread Yury Davidouski

Hi rh,

I think I'll just email it to you in a second to have a look.

Also I messed around a bit with the Christian Ridderström's BibTeX example  
available at http://wiki.lyx.org/Examples/SimpleUseOfBibTeX
strangely enough, the citations work within the example file, but even if  
you try to use his database in your own project the same story happens --  
no citations are visible.


On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 14:27:52 +0100, rgheck rgh...@comcast.net wrote:


Yury Davidouski wrote:

Hi there,

I have created a BibTeX file using BibEdt for Windows but I cannot seem  
to be able to insert citations into LyX projects. The citations  
database seems to be loading fine yet when Insert/Citation... is  
pressed there are no citations available in the list.


I've spent a couple of days already trying to figure out what is going  
on, am I missing something obvious?


You've done InsertLists and TOCBibTeX Bibliography, right? Silly  
question, perhaps.


If so, then there has to be some catastrophic error in the database  
that's preventing proper parsing. Try starting LyX from a terminal or,  
if you like, send me the database and your file privately, and I'll have  
a look.


rh






--
Yurik


Re: LyX vs. wordprocessors

2009-04-05 Thread Rich Shepard

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, Wolfgang Keller wrote:


In fact in collaborative environments (e.g. companies), where several
people work together on the same document, Word documents _always_ end up
like that - A hopelessly tangled spaghetti mess. In fact I never managed
to figure out how to copy and paste content from two different versions of
a document, which are both perfectly well styled and which were created
using the same template in such a way that the resulting document isn't
messed up.


  I'm surprised that no one seems to use the most reasonable solution for
collaborative text: have everyone use plain text and only futz with
formatting when you agree on a final version. It may not look pretty, but
it's efficient.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.   |  IntegrityCredibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.|Innovation
http://www.appl-ecosys.com Voice: 503-667-4517  Fax: 503-667-8863


Re: LyX vs. wordprocessors

2009-04-05 Thread Stefano Franchi
On Sunday 05 April 2009 10:06:38 Rich Shepard wrote:
 On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, Wolfgang Keller wrote:
  In fact in collaborative environments (e.g. companies), where several
  people work together on the same document, Word documents _always_ end up
  like that - A hopelessly tangled spaghetti mess. In fact I never managed
  to figure out how to copy and paste content from two different versions
  of a document, which are both perfectly well styled and which were
  created using the same template in such a way that the resulting
  document isn't messed up.

I'm surprised that no one seems to use the most reasonable solution for
 collaborative text: have everyone use plain text and only futz with
 formatting when you agree on a final version. It may not look pretty, but
 it's efficient.

 Rich


The problem with that suggestion is that very often, if not always, proper 
formatting is actually part of the content and therefore object of the various 
collaborative tasks. I'll just give you a not so silly example from academia: 
grant proposals have severe constraints on how and how long your various 
descriptions, proposal, work, etcetera shoudl be expressed (and understandably 
so). As you can imagine, proper formatting---right fonts, correct headings, 
etcetera---becomes an essential part of the output which cannot, therefore, be 
added at the end. What if, for instance, a different formatting makes the 
project description too long and its essential punch line must be cut? 

S.


__
Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy  Ph:  (979) 862-2211
Texas AM University  Fax: (979) 845-0458
305B Bolton Hall  fran...@philosophy.tamu.edu
College Station, TX 77843-4237



No longer able to cross-reference between files?

2009-04-05 Thread Rudi Gaelzer
I'm using Lyx 1.6.2.  Some time ago, I was able to cross-reference equations 
belonging to a different LyX file, which is neither a child nor a master 
document.  All I had to do was to create the .aux file for the first document, 
open both documents, and then use the xr.sty package with the 
\externaldocument{} command in the second document's preamble.

Then, when I inserted a cross-reference, I would have the possibility to 
choose labels belonging to the first document and reference them in the second 
document.

Now, even when I have both documents open, I no longer have access to the 
first document's references when I'm working on the second.

Does anyone knows what is happening here?

Thanks.
-- 
Rudi Gaelzer
Department of Physics
Institute of Physics and Mathematics
Federal University of Pelotas
BRAZIL
Registered linux user # 153741


Re: N00bie font issues

2009-04-05 Thread John Jason Jordan
On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 13:11:29 +0200
Jürgen Spitzmüller sp...@lyx.org dijo:

 John Jason Jordan wrote:
  Furthermore, the SAMPA-like IPA insertion thing is like 15 years out of
  date. Linguists today use straight Unicode insertion via the Unicode
  code point. But that's OK, I have figured out how to enter the Unicode
  number to get the character I want in general text without having to
  use a TIPA box.
 
 I think this statement (Linguists today) is too general. I very much prefer 
 the TIPA shortcut notation over unicode codepoints, because insertion is much 
 faster. Also, the TIPA package gives you much better microtypographic quality 
 (at least on LyX), because the unicode method will break character kerning 
 (as 
 long as you do not use XeTeX, that is).
 
 But tastes may differ.

OK, just consider that I am too lazy to learn the old way. I have
memorized all the code points for the IPA characters. But I discovered
that I can go to Insert  Special Character  Symbols and click on the
character there. 

Your point about kerning is well taken. But I absolutely cannot stand
Times, and Computer Modern is even uglier. If those are my only choices
then best I abandon the effort to learn Lyx right now. However, if I
can get Bera Serif, Concrete Roman, Nimbus Roman and KP Serif
installed, and if one of them has the proper characters, then I am
happy to give up the kerning. I assume that there is a way to do manual
kerning in Lyx somewhere, and I can do that if something is really bad.

  The problem is that the fonts that are installed by default in Lyx that
  I find aesthetically acceptable (Bitstream Charter, Utopia) do not have
  the necessary IPA and combining diacriticals blocks. There is the
  possibility of Bera Serif and Concrete Roman, but they were not
  installed by default and I can't figure out how to install them.
 
 What LaTeX distribution are you running? Recent distributions should do the 
 installation for you on request.

I have been working only in Lyx, which is 1.6.1 on Ubuntu Intrepid.

  Apparently there are TeX font packages for the above two, and also
  several others. I am especially interested in Nimbus because I have the
  regular TT version installed and it does have the IPA characters that I
  need.
 
  The problem is that I cannot figure out how to install these font
  packages. Can someone give an idiot n00bie a step-by-step how-to?
 
 Most packages come with an installation instruction (and the installation 
 slightly differs, depending on the package).

I'm so stupid that I can't even figure out what the package means. I
go to CTAN and I find that each font involves a bunch of files. For
example, here is the directory of the Nimbus font:

http://www.ctan.org/cgi-bin/filenameSearch.py?filename=nimbusSearch=Search

There is no README in that directory. I guess you're just supposed to
know what to do with those files. Sadly, I am too new to Lyx to know
that. I also can't find any options in Lyx where it will install fonts
for me.

You mention LaTeX, and I am sure it is installed, but I can't figure
out how to launch it. From the command line it just appears to expect
me to start typing something. Is it a command line only application?

Regarding which version I have, from the command line I got this:

latex --version
pdfTeX using libpoppler 3.141592-1.40.3-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.6)
kpathsea version 3.5.6
Copyright 2007 Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
Kpathsea is copyright 2007 Karl Berry and Olaf Weber.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the pdfTeX using libpoppler copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the pdfTeX using libpoppler source.
Primary author of pdfTeX using libpoppler: Peter Breitenlohner
(eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX). Kpathsea written by Karl Berry, Olaf
Weber, and others.

Compiled with libpng 1.2.27; using libpng 1.2.27
Compiled with zlib 1.2.3.3; using zlib 1.2.3.3
Compiled with libpoppler version 3.00

Other than that, I don't know what version it is. But I installed it
with Synaptic, so it's whatever the latest version in the Ubuntu
Intrepid repositories is.

I did warn that I am an idiot, did I not? :)


How to adjust float figure behavior?

2009-04-05 Thread Sophie (itsme213)
At the moment, when I use a float figure it typically appears before the 
point where it is introduced in the text, often appears in the middle/end of 
the *previous* section.

Is there a way to get float figures to appear at or after the point in the 
text where they are introduced, even if that means the top of the *next* 
page?

Thanks! 





Re: How to adjust float figure behavior?

2009-04-05 Thread Vincent van Ravesteijn

Sophie (itsme213) schreef:
At the moment, when I use a float figure it typically appears before the 
point where it is introduced in the text, often appears in the middle/end of 
the *previous* section.


Is there a way to get float figures to appear at or after the point in the 
text where they are introduced, even if that means the top of the *next* 
page?


Thanks!
Yes, right-click on the float's button, and deselect Use default 
placement and choose : Here if possible or Here definitely (which 
depends on how desperate you are).


Vincent


Re: How to adjust float figure behavior?

2009-04-05 Thread Florian Rubach

Sophie (itsme213) schrieb:
At the moment, when I use a float figure it typically appears before the 
point where it is introduced in the text, often appears in the middle/end of 
the *previous* section.


Is there a way to get float figures to appear at or after the point in the 
text where they are introduced, even if that means the top of the *next* 
page?


Thanks! 


I suggest you try the placeins-package ( 
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/placeins.html ).
It provides the command \FloatBarrier which helps keeping floats between 
defined points.
In case you don't know, you can add \usepackage{placeins} to your 
document preamble and insert \FloatBarrier at any point you want in 
TeX-Code (crtl+L).


Regards,
Florian




Re: help me with a layout module, please!

2009-04-05 Thread Vito De Tullio
Vito De Tullio wrote:

 I need to know if (and how!) is possible to:
 1) force the documentclass (book, article) to use the titlepage ambient.

mmm
I think this is resolved, using: ClassOptions Other titlepage End

 2) tell lyx that, to generate the pdf (via pdflatex), it must do 3 passes
(pass 0): generate the FILE.tex from FILE.lyx (as all documents, I
think) 
(pass 1): pdflatex FILE.tex (as all documents?) 
(pass 2): pdflatex FILE-frn.tex (this file is auto-generated!)
(pass 3): pdflatex FILE.tex (include the FILE-frn.pdf)

I did not find any suggestion on the web
does this make sense? can a .module say something like that to lyx?

on http://github.com/ZeeD/frontespizio/ I set up a little git repo to the
file, if anyone can help me.

-- 
By ZeD



Re: No longer able to cross-reference between files?

2009-04-05 Thread Abdelrazak Younes

On 05/04/2009 18:37, Rudi Gaelzer wrote:

I'm using Lyx 1.6.2.  Some time ago, I was able to cross-reference equations
belonging to a different LyX file, which is neither a child nor a master
document.  All I had to do was to create the .aux file for the first document,
open both documents, and then use the xr.sty package with the
\externaldocument{} command in the second document's preamble.

Then, when I inserted a cross-reference, I would have the possibility to
choose labels belonging to the first document and reference them in the second
document.

Now, even when I have both documents open, I no longer have access to the
first document's references when I'm working on the second.

Does anyone knows what is happening here?


Haha, now we know what this was about!
FYI we just hide the document selection combo since 1.6.0 because nobody 
knew why this was needed. Maybe we can restore it back in 1.6.3 as we 
found a user :-)


Abdel.



Re: N00bie font issues

2009-04-05 Thread Abdelrazak Younes

On 05/04/2009 19:19, John Jason Jordan wrote:

I did warn that I am an idiot, did I not? :)


I am sure you are not. But I am also sure you did not read the 
documentation ;-)
Try to read at least the Introduction and the Tutorial, this would do 
you much good.


Abdel.



right hand margin when font:family=typewriter

2009-04-05 Thread Joe(theWordy)Philbrook

I really don't want to start micro managing all the margin settings. 
whatever lyx actually defaults to mostly works. But I noticed that if a set 
a few paragraphs to the font family of typewriter the right hand margin of 
that section of the pdf output file seems to only be about 0.25 inch...

I would like the minimum right hand margin to NEVER be less than 0.5 inch.
So I poked around the menu settings of (at the moment I'm using lyx 1.5.6)
And the closest I can find to a setting for this is the input dialog for:

document:settings:Page margins

Which has a check box to use default settings or whatever values I
choose to type in. Biggest problem is that if I'm going to set any of
these, then I need to set all of them. Second biggest problem is that I
don't know what all the default values are. and the third biggest
problem with using this setting is that I don't see any way to get a
larger margin in use for the font family of typewriter, without
enlarging the near perfect right hand margin I'm getting in the
majority of the document where the font family is usually roman, or
occasionally sans serif...

If it matters the document class is book (more font sizes)

Oh yeah, It's set for two sided output, So I'm guessing that instead
of talking Right hand margin I should probably say outer margin 
on the assumption that a book, would have a larger inner margin to
make room for the binding

Now I really don't understand why it's assumed that typewritten output
doesn't need the same right hand margin as the rest of the document???

But I suppose that there must be an ERT solution to do something like:

???what's the correct variable names  syntax???


put standard text here...

{OldOuter=outerpagemargin}
{outerpagemargin=0.5 inch}

Put typewritten page(s) here

{outerpagemargin=OldOuter}

put standard text here...

-- 
|  ~^~   ~^~
|  ?   ? Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
|  ^  J(tWdy)P
|\___/ jtw...@ttlc.net



Re: N00bie font issues

2009-04-05 Thread Abdelrazak Younes

On 05/04/2009 22:04, John Jason Jordan wrote:

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 21:12:28 +0200
Abdelrazak Younesyou...@lyx.org  dijo:

   

On 05/04/2009 19:19, John Jason Jordan wrote:
 

I did warn that I am an idiot, did I not? :)
   

I am sure you are not. But I am also sure you did not read the
documentation ;-)
Try to read at least the Introduction and the Tutorial, this would do
you much good.
 


I have done so, and also the LaTeX manual, but I haven't found one word
on how to INSTALL a font. Tons of examples on how to USE the font, but
I can't find any documentation on how to install the fonts that are on
CTAN.

Oh wait ... I did find one README that said to put the files in an
appropriate place. Gosh, that was helpful.

I must have poor googling skills, because I have spent an hour looking
for documentation without success.
   


Oh, that's something else. I was merely answering the part about what is 
LateX and what how to compile, etc. Sorry for the misunderstanding. 
Concerning fonts, as Juergen said, your best bet right now is to try 
XeTeX, which we don't fully support yet. See the wiki (the pages Juergen 
gave on wiki.lyx.org).


Abdel.



Re: My new environment

2009-04-05 Thread Pavel Sanda
Steve Litt wrote:
  convert to module and put it into wiki?
  pavel
 
 How do I make it into a module? I don't have 1.6.x yet.

no hope without 1.6 :)
pavel


Re: N00bie font issues

2009-04-05 Thread John Jason Jordan
On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 23:20:40 +0200
Abdelrazak Younes you...@lyx.org dijo:

 On 05/04/2009 22:04, John Jason Jordan wrote:
  On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 21:12:28 +0200
  Abdelrazak Younesyou...@lyx.org  dijo:

  I must have poor googling skills, because I have spent an hour looking
  for documentation without success.

 Oh, that's something else. I was merely answering the part about what is 
 LateX and what how to compile, etc. Sorry for the misunderstanding. 
 Concerning fonts, as Juergen said, your best bet right now is to try 
 XeTeX, which we don't fully support yet. See the wiki (the pages Juergen 
 gave on wiki.lyx.org).

I did succeed in getting Bera Serif installed. It had a README that
said where to put the files. Pain in the neck  because I had to do it
from the command line. But I finally got all the files in the right
places. Then I did texhash and udmap --enable Map bera.map. And then I
did a Reconfigure in Lyx, closed it, and restarted it, and the fonts
were there!

Stoked with success I did the same thing for the kpfonts package.
Except the kpfonts package had an installable zip file. I had to open
File Roller as root, but it seemed to install all the files in the
right folders. Then I did texhash again, and udmap --enable Map
kpfonts.map. The last command said at one point that it found the
kpfonts.map file and it didn't give any error messages about it. But
reconfiguring, stopping and restarting Lyx several times has failed to
get the kpfonts visible in the Document  Settings window.

So now I'm sad again. :(


help me with a layout module, please!

2009-04-05 Thread Vito De Tullio
I'm making a small layout module around the package "frontespizio"
(http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/frontespizio/), but
I'm a novice, and I need help.
I need to know if (and how!) is possible to:

1) force the documentclass (book, article) to use the titlepage ambient.
2) tell lyx that, to generate the pdf (via pdflatex), it must do 3 passes
   (pass 0): generate the FILE.tex from FILE.lyx (as all documents, I think)
   (pass 1): pdflatex FILE.tex (as all documents?)
   (pass 2): pdflatex FILE-frn.tex (this file is auto-generated!)
   (pass 3): pdflatex FILE.tex (include the FILE-frn.pdf)

-- 
By ZeD



Re: LyX vs. wordprocessors

2009-04-05 Thread Wolfgang Keller
> Just the same as I do on the LyX list, I brought up the fact that if you want 
> to, you can do styles based authoring on MS Word just as easily as on TeX or 
> LaTeX or LyX, and in fact I've written a complete book in WordPerfect 5.1 and 
> another in MS Word, using nothing but styles. And of course a debate 
> ensued :-)

I've been using "structure markup" as The Natural Way to work with documents 
for 20 years, the first time with Wordperfect on DOS 3.3, long before I even 
heard of the existence of LaTeX or SGML.
 
> But then one guy brought up an irrefutable point which I think might be an 
> outstanding talking point of LyX. He said that wordprocessing documents often 
> get so messed up, format wise, that they can't be salvaged without saving to 
> text and reformatting everything. I've certainly seen such a MS Word doc -- I 
> think we all have.

In fact in collaborative environments (e.g. companies), where several people 
work together on the same document, Word documents _always_ end up like that - 
A hopelessly tangled spaghetti mess. In fact I never managed to figure out how 
to copy and paste content from two different versions of a document, which are 
both perfectly well "styled" and which were created using the same "template" 
in such a way that the resulting document isn't messed up.

Other document processors (Framemaker, Wordperfect, RagTime, Nisus, Mellel...) 
show how to implement this a _lot_ better. Interestingly, OpenOffice is the 
only one I know of that does as badly as MS Word.

With Wordperfect, there's "Reveal Codes", which allows you to see what's wrong 
and fix it.

With SGML/XML environments, you can show the "tags" and edit them directly.

> With TeX or LaTeX or LyX, almost always coding errors immediately make the 
> doc 
> uncompileable, so you see it right away. The one exception is when a document 
> class silently reverts to the default, and I showed how to prevent that here:
> 
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/lyx/surefire_layout.htm
> 
> So I think one LyX talking point to add is that with LyX, you seldom get docs 
> that format themselves into uselessness.

You can mess up a document with "finger-painting" in LaTeX/LyX as well, 
however. And those im-/export filters that I know of do so.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang


Re: LyX vs. wordprocessors

2009-04-05 Thread E. Kaplan
/With Wordperfect, there's "Reveal Codes", which allows you to see 
what's wrong and fix it//
Not trying to defend WORD, which has steadily deteriorated from being 
good to being unusable, but in it you can also see the field codes and 
correct them, if you know what you are doing.  It is ugly, but not much 
harder than Lyx/Latex.




Ehud Kaplan



Wolfgang Keller wrote:
Just the same as I do on the LyX list, I brought up the fact that if you want 
to, you can do styles based authoring on MS Word just as easily as on TeX or 
LaTeX or LyX, and in fact I've written a complete book in WordPerfect 5.1 and 
another in MS Word, using nothing but styles. And of course a debate 
ensued :-)



I've been using "structure markup" as The Natural Way to work with documents 
for 20 years, the first time with Wordperfect on DOS 3.3, long before I even heard of the 
existence of LaTeX or SGML.
 
  
But then one guy brought up an irrefutable point which I think might be an 
outstanding talking point of LyX. He said that wordprocessing documents often 
get so messed up, format wise, that they can't be salvaged without saving to 
text and reformatting everything. I've certainly seen such a MS Word doc -- I 
think we all have.



In fact in collaborative environments (e.g. companies), where several people work together on the 
same document, Word documents _always_ end up like that - A hopelessly tangled spaghetti mess. In 
fact I never managed to figure out how to copy and paste content from two different versions of a 
document, which are both perfectly well "styled" and which were created using the same 
"template" in such a way that the resulting document isn't messed up.

Other document processors (Framemaker, Wordperfect, RagTime, Nisus, Mellel...) 
show how to implement this a _lot_ better. Interestingly, OpenOffice is the 
only one I know of that does as badly as MS Word.

With Wordperfect, there's "Reveal Codes", which allows you to see what's wrong 
and fix it.

With SGML/XML environments, you can show the "tags" and edit them directly.

  
With TeX or LaTeX or LyX, almost always coding errors immediately make the doc 
uncompileable, so you see it right away. The one exception is when a document 
class silently reverts to the default, and I showed how to prevent that here:


http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/lyx/surefire_layout.htm

So I think one LyX talking point to add is that with LyX, you seldom get docs 
that format themselves into uselessness.



You can mess up a document with "finger-painting" in LaTeX/LyX as well, 
however. And those im-/export filters that I know of do so.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang
  


Re: N00bie font issues

2009-04-05 Thread Jürgen Spitzmüller
Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
> > Furthermore, the SAMPA-like IPA insertion thing is like 15 years out of
> > date. Linguists today use straight Unicode insertion via the Unicode
> > code point. But that's OK, I have figured out how to enter the Unicode
> > number to get the character I want in general text without having to
> > use a TIPA box.
>
> I think this statement ("Linguists today") is too general. I very much
> prefer the TIPA shortcut notation over unicode codepoints, because
> insertion is much faster. Also, the TIPA package gives you much better
> microtypographic quality (at least on LyX), because the unicode method will
> break character kerning (as long as you do not use XeTeX, that is).

I have to add that you will most likely _need_ to use XeTeX in order to use 
the unicode characters of other fonts. With LaTeX, LyX will automatically fall 
back to the TIPA package for glyphs in the IPA range (since the font packages 
usually do not support these glyphs), so you'll get the TIPA font for the IPA 
glyphs anyway.

XeTeX might also solve the font installation problem, since it can use system 
fonts. However, LyX's support for XeTeX is still underdevelopped.

Look here:
http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/XeTeX

Jürgen


BibTeX citations won't load in 1.6.2 on XP

2009-04-05 Thread Yury Davidouski

Hi there,

I have created a BibTeX file using BibEdt for Windows but I cannot seem to  
be able to insert citations into LyX projects. The citations database  
seems to be loading fine yet when "Insert/Citation..." is pressed there  
are no citations available in the list.


I've spent a couple of days already trying to figure out what is going on,  
am I missing something obvious?


--
Yurik


Re: BibTeX citations won't load in 1.6.2 on XP

2009-04-05 Thread rgheck

Yury Davidouski wrote:

Hi there,

I have created a BibTeX file using BibEdt for Windows but I cannot 
seem to be able to insert citations into LyX projects. The citations 
database seems to be loading fine yet when "Insert/Citation..." is 
pressed there are no citations available in the list.


I've spent a couple of days already trying to figure out what is going 
on, am I missing something obvious?


You've done Insert>Lists and TOC>BibTeX Bibliography, right? Silly 
question, perhaps.


If so, then there has to be some catastrophic error in the database 
that's preventing proper parsing. Try starting LyX from a terminal or, 
if you like, send me the database and your file privately, and I'll have 
a look.


rh




Re: BibTeX citations won't load in 1.6.2 on XP

2009-04-05 Thread Yury Davidouski

Hi rh,

I think I'll just email it to you in a second to have a look.

Also I messed around a bit with the Christian Ridderström's BibTeX example  
available at http://wiki.lyx.org/Examples/SimpleUseOfBibTeX
strangely enough, the citations work within the example file, but even if  
you try to use his database in your own project the same story happens --  
no citations are visible.


On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 14:27:52 +0100, rgheck  wrote:


Yury Davidouski wrote:

Hi there,

I have created a BibTeX file using BibEdt for Windows but I cannot seem  
to be able to insert citations into LyX projects. The citations  
database seems to be loading fine yet when "Insert/Citation..." is  
pressed there are no citations available in the list.


I've spent a couple of days already trying to figure out what is going  
on, am I missing something obvious?


You've done Insert>Lists and TOC>BibTeX Bibliography, right? Silly  
question, perhaps.


If so, then there has to be some catastrophic error in the database  
that's preventing proper parsing. Try starting LyX from a terminal or,  
if you like, send me the database and your file privately, and I'll have  
a look.


rh






--
Yurik


Re: LyX vs. wordprocessors

2009-04-05 Thread Rich Shepard

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, Wolfgang Keller wrote:


In fact in collaborative environments (e.g. companies), where several
people work together on the same document, Word documents _always_ end up
like that - A hopelessly tangled spaghetti mess. In fact I never managed
to figure out how to copy and paste content from two different versions of
a document, which are both perfectly well "styled" and which were created
using the same "template" in such a way that the resulting document isn't
messed up.


  I'm surprised that no one seems to use the most reasonable solution for
collaborative text: have everyone use plain text and only futz with
formatting when you agree on a final version. It may not look pretty, but
it's efficient.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.   |  IntegrityCredibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.|Innovation
 Voice: 503-667-4517  Fax: 503-667-8863


Re: LyX vs. wordprocessors

2009-04-05 Thread Stefano Franchi
On Sunday 05 April 2009 10:06:38 Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, Wolfgang Keller wrote:
> > In fact in collaborative environments (e.g. companies), where several
> > people work together on the same document, Word documents _always_ end up
> > like that - A hopelessly tangled spaghetti mess. In fact I never managed
> > to figure out how to copy and paste content from two different versions
> > of a document, which are both perfectly well "styled" and which were
> > created using the same "template" in such a way that the resulting
> > document isn't messed up.
>
>I'm surprised that no one seems to use the most reasonable solution for
> collaborative text: have everyone use plain text and only futz with
> formatting when you agree on a final version. It may not look pretty, but
> it's efficient.
>
> Rich


The problem with that suggestion is that very often, if not always, proper 
formatting is actually part of the content and therefore object of the various 
collaborative tasks. I'll just give you a not so silly example from academia: 
grant proposals have severe constraints on how and how long your various 
descriptions, proposal, work, etcetera shoudl be expressed (and understandably 
so). As you can imagine, "proper formatting"---right fonts, correct headings, 
etcetera---becomes an essential part of the output which cannot, therefore, be 
added "at the end." What if, for instance, a different formatting makes the 
project description too long and its essential punch line must be cut? 

S.


__
Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy  Ph:  (979) 862-2211
Texas A University  Fax: (979) 845-0458
305B Bolton Hall  fran...@philosophy.tamu.edu
College Station, TX 77843-4237



No longer able to cross-reference between files?

2009-04-05 Thread Rudi Gaelzer
I'm using Lyx 1.6.2.  Some time ago, I was able to cross-reference equations 
belonging to a different LyX file, which is neither a child nor a master 
document.  All I had to do was to create the .aux file for the first document, 
open both documents, and then use the xr.sty package with the 
\externaldocument{} command in the second document's preamble.

Then, when I inserted a cross-reference, I would have the possibility to 
choose labels belonging to the first document and reference them in the second 
document.

Now, even when I have both documents open, I no longer have access to the 
first document's references when I'm working on the second.

Does anyone knows what is happening here?

Thanks.
-- 
Rudi Gaelzer
Department of Physics
Institute of Physics and Mathematics
Federal University of Pelotas
BRAZIL
Registered linux user # 153741


Re: N00bie font issues

2009-04-05 Thread John Jason Jordan
On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 13:11:29 +0200
Jürgen Spitzmüller  dijo:

> John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > Furthermore, the SAMPA-like IPA insertion thing is like 15 years out of
> > date. Linguists today use straight Unicode insertion via the Unicode
> > code point. But that's OK, I have figured out how to enter the Unicode
> > number to get the character I want in general text without having to
> > use a TIPA box.
> 
> I think this statement ("Linguists today") is too general. I very much prefer 
> the TIPA shortcut notation over unicode codepoints, because insertion is much 
> faster. Also, the TIPA package gives you much better microtypographic quality 
> (at least on LyX), because the unicode method will break character kerning 
> (as 
> long as you do not use XeTeX, that is).
> 
> But tastes may differ.

OK, just consider that I am too lazy to learn the old way. I have
memorized all the code points for the IPA characters. But I discovered
that I can go to Insert > Special Character > Symbols and click on the
character there. 

Your point about kerning is well taken. But I absolutely cannot stand
Times, and Computer Modern is even uglier. If those are my only choices
then best I abandon the effort to learn Lyx right now. However, if I
can get Bera Serif, Concrete Roman, Nimbus Roman and KP Serif
installed, and if one of them has the proper characters, then I am
happy to give up the kerning. I assume that there is a way to do manual
kerning in Lyx somewhere, and I can do that if something is really bad.

> > The problem is that the fonts that are installed by default in Lyx that
> > I find aesthetically acceptable (Bitstream Charter, Utopia) do not have
> > the necessary IPA and combining diacriticals blocks. There is the
> > possibility of Bera Serif and Concrete Roman, but they were not
> > installed by default and I can't figure out how to install them.
> 
> What LaTeX distribution are you running? Recent distributions should do the 
> installation for you on request.

I have been working only in Lyx, which is 1.6.1 on Ubuntu Intrepid.

> > Apparently there are TeX font packages for the above two, and also
> > several others. I am especially interested in Nimbus because I have the
> > regular TT version installed and it does have the IPA characters that I
> > need.
> >
> > The problem is that I cannot figure out how to install these font
> > packages. Can someone give an idiot n00bie a step-by-step how-to?
> 
> Most packages come with an installation instruction (and the installation 
> slightly differs, depending on the package).

I'm so stupid that I can't even figure out what the "package" means. I
go to CTAN and I find that each font involves a bunch of files. For
example, here is the directory of the Nimbus font:

http://www.ctan.org/cgi-bin/filenameSearch.py?filename=nimbus=Search

There is no README in that directory. I guess you're just supposed to
know what to do with those files. Sadly, I am too new to Lyx to know
that. I also can't find any options in Lyx where it will install fonts
for me.

You mention LaTeX, and I am sure it is installed, but I can't figure
out how to launch it. From the command line it just appears to expect
me to start typing something. Is it a command line only application?

Regarding which version I have, from the command line I got this:

latex --version
pdfTeX using libpoppler 3.141592-1.40.3-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.6)
kpathsea version 3.5.6
Copyright 2007 Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
Kpathsea is copyright 2007 Karl Berry and Olaf Weber.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the pdfTeX using libpoppler copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the pdfTeX using libpoppler source.
Primary author of pdfTeX using libpoppler: Peter Breitenlohner
(eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX). Kpathsea written by Karl Berry, Olaf
Weber, and others.

Compiled with libpng 1.2.27; using libpng 1.2.27
Compiled with zlib 1.2.3.3; using zlib 1.2.3.3
Compiled with libpoppler version 3.00

Other than that, I don't know what version it is. But I installed it
with Synaptic, so it's whatever the latest version in the Ubuntu
Intrepid repositories is.

I did warn that I am an idiot, did I not? :)


How to adjust float figure behavior?

2009-04-05 Thread Sophie (itsme213)
At the moment, when I use a float figure it typically appears before the 
point where it is introduced in the text, often appears in the middle/end of 
the *previous* section.

Is there a way to get float figures to appear at or after the point in the 
text where they are introduced, even if that means the top of the *next* 
page?

Thanks! 





Re: How to adjust float figure behavior?

2009-04-05 Thread Vincent van Ravesteijn

Sophie (itsme213) schreef:
At the moment, when I use a float figure it typically appears before the 
point where it is introduced in the text, often appears in the middle/end of 
the *previous* section.


Is there a way to get float figures to appear at or after the point in the 
text where they are introduced, even if that means the top of the *next* 
page?


Thanks!
Yes, right-click on the float's button, and deselect "Use default 
placement" and choose : "Here if possible" or "Here definitely" (which 
depends on how desperate you are).


Vincent


Re: How to adjust float figure behavior?

2009-04-05 Thread Florian Rubach

Sophie (itsme213) schrieb:
At the moment, when I use a float figure it typically appears before the 
point where it is introduced in the text, often appears in the middle/end of 
the *previous* section.


Is there a way to get float figures to appear at or after the point in the 
text where they are introduced, even if that means the top of the *next* 
page?


Thanks! 


I suggest you try the placeins-package ( 
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/placeins.html ).
It provides the command \FloatBarrier which helps keeping floats between 
defined points.
In case you don't know, you can add \usepackage{placeins} to your 
document preamble and insert \FloatBarrier at any point you want in 
TeX-Code (crtl+L).


Regards,
Florian




Re: help me with a layout module, please!

2009-04-05 Thread Vito De Tullio
Vito De Tullio wrote:

> I need to know if (and how!) is possible to:
> 1) force the documentclass (book, article) to use the titlepage ambient.

mmm
I think this is resolved, using: ClassOptions Other titlepage End

> 2) tell lyx that, to generate the pdf (via pdflatex), it must do 3 passes
>(pass 0): generate the FILE.tex from FILE.lyx (as all documents, I
>think) 
>(pass 1): pdflatex FILE.tex (as all documents?) 
>(pass 2): pdflatex FILE-frn.tex (this file is auto-generated!)
>(pass 3): pdflatex FILE.tex (include the FILE-frn.pdf)

I did not find any suggestion on the web
does this make sense? can a .module say something like that to lyx?

on http://github.com/ZeeD/frontespizio/ I set up a little git repo to the
file, if anyone can help me.

-- 
By ZeD



Re: No longer able to cross-reference between files?

2009-04-05 Thread Abdelrazak Younes

On 05/04/2009 18:37, Rudi Gaelzer wrote:

I'm using Lyx 1.6.2.  Some time ago, I was able to cross-reference equations
belonging to a different LyX file, which is neither a child nor a master
document.  All I had to do was to create the .aux file for the first document,
open both documents, and then use the xr.sty package with the
\externaldocument{} command in the second document's preamble.

Then, when I inserted a cross-reference, I would have the possibility to
choose labels belonging to the first document and reference them in the second
document.

Now, even when I have both documents open, I no longer have access to the
first document's references when I'm working on the second.

Does anyone knows what is happening here?


Haha, now we know what this was about!
FYI we just hide the document selection combo since 1.6.0 because nobody 
knew why this was needed. Maybe we can restore it back in 1.6.3 as we 
found a user :-)


Abdel.



Re: N00bie font issues

2009-04-05 Thread Abdelrazak Younes

On 05/04/2009 19:19, John Jason Jordan wrote:

I did warn that I am an idiot, did I not? :)


I am sure you are not. But I am also sure you did not read the 
documentation ;-)
Try to read at least the Introduction and the Tutorial, this would do 
you much good.


Abdel.



right hand margin when font:family=typewriter

2009-04-05 Thread Joe(theWordy)Philbrook

I really don't want to start micro managing all the margin settings. 
whatever lyx actually defaults to mostly works. But I noticed that if a set 
a few paragraphs to the font family of typewriter the right hand margin of 
that section of the pdf output file seems to only be about 0.25 inch...

I would like the minimum right hand margin to NEVER be less than 0.5 inch.
So I poked around the menu settings of (at the moment I'm using lyx 1.5.6)
And the closest I can find to a setting for this is the input dialog for:

document:>settings:>Page margins

Which has a check box to use default settings or whatever values I
choose to type in. Biggest problem is that if I'm going to set any of
these, then I need to set all of them. Second biggest problem is that I
don't know what all the default values are. and the third biggest
problem with using this setting is that I don't see any way to get a
larger margin in use for the font family of typewriter, without
enlarging the near perfect right hand margin I'm getting in the
majority of the document where the font family is usually roman, or
occasionally sans serif...

If it matters the document class is "book (more font sizes)"

Oh yeah, It's set for two sided output, So I'm guessing that instead
of talking "Right hand margin" I should probably say "outer margin" 
on the assumption that a book, would have a larger inner margin to
make room for the binding

Now I really don't understand why it's assumed that typewritten output
doesn't need the same right hand margin as the rest of the document???

But I suppose that there must be an ERT solution to do something like:

???what's the correct variable names & syntax???


put standard text here...

{OldOuter=outerpagemargin}
{outerpagemargin=0.5 inch}

Put typewritten page(s) here

{outerpagemargin=OldOuter}

put standard text here...

-- 
|  ~^~   ~^~
|  Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
|  ^  J(tWdy)P
|\___/ <>



Re: N00bie font issues

2009-04-05 Thread Abdelrazak Younes

On 05/04/2009 22:04, John Jason Jordan wrote:

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 21:12:28 +0200
Abdelrazak Younes  dijo:

   

On 05/04/2009 19:19, John Jason Jordan wrote:
 

I did warn that I am an idiot, did I not? :)
   

I am sure you are not. But I am also sure you did not read the
documentation ;-)
Try to read at least the Introduction and the Tutorial, this would do
you much good.
 


I have done so, and also the LaTeX manual, but I haven't found one word
on how to INSTALL a font. Tons of examples on how to USE the font, but
I can't find any documentation on how to install the fonts that are on
CTAN.

Oh wait ... I did find one README that said to put the files in "an
appropriate place." Gosh, that was helpful.

I must have poor googling skills, because I have spent an hour looking
for documentation without success.
   


Oh, that's something else. I was merely answering the part about what is 
LateX and what how to compile, etc. Sorry for the misunderstanding. 
Concerning fonts, as Juergen said, your best bet right now is to try 
XeTeX, which we don't fully support yet. See the wiki (the pages Juergen 
gave on wiki.lyx.org).


Abdel.



Re: My new environment

2009-04-05 Thread Pavel Sanda
Steve Litt wrote:
> > convert to module and put it into wiki?
> > pavel
> 
> How do I make it into a module? I don't have 1.6.x yet.

no hope without 1.6 :)
pavel


Re: N00bie font issues

2009-04-05 Thread John Jason Jordan
On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 23:20:40 +0200
Abdelrazak Younes  dijo:

> On 05/04/2009 22:04, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 21:12:28 +0200
> > Abdelrazak Younes  dijo:

> > I must have poor googling skills, because I have spent an hour looking
> > for documentation without success.

> Oh, that's something else. I was merely answering the part about what is 
> LateX and what how to compile, etc. Sorry for the misunderstanding. 
> Concerning fonts, as Juergen said, your best bet right now is to try 
> XeTeX, which we don't fully support yet. See the wiki (the pages Juergen 
> gave on wiki.lyx.org).

I did succeed in getting Bera Serif installed. It had a README that
said where to put the files. Pain in the neck  because I had to do it
from the command line. But I finally got all the files in the right
places. Then I did texhash and udmap --enable Map bera.map. And then I
did a Reconfigure in Lyx, closed it, and restarted it, and the fonts
were there!

Stoked with success I did the same thing for the kpfonts package.
Except the kpfonts package had an installable zip file. I had to open
File Roller as root, but it seemed to install all the files in the
right folders. Then I did texhash again, and udmap --enable Map
kpfonts.map. The last command said at one point that it found the
kpfonts.map file and it didn't give any error messages about it. But
reconfiguring, stopping and restarting Lyx several times has failed to
get the kpfonts visible in the Document > Settings window.

So now I'm sad again. :(