Re: Differences in Output Quality?

2009-04-28 Thread Guenter Milde
On 2009-04-27, Rich Shepard wrote:
Question for folks here: will pdf output display differently if I insert
 figures as .eps or .pdf?

In the first case, I need to export to plain LaTeX, run latex a
 couple of times on the resulting .tex file, then dvips followed by
 ps2pdf.  In the second case I export using pdflatex.

This is no longer true, as you can define lossless PDF - EPS
conversion. Description should be in the Wiki. Newer LyX installs will
set up this by default, if the required programs are available.

When I use the first approach I see higher quality in xpdf than I do with
 acroread, 

Could you describe the difference? Are you using microtype?

Günter



Re: 1.6.2 Spelling Check Issue

2009-04-28 Thread Guenter Milde
On 2009-04-27, Rich Shepard wrote:
I don't recall having this problem before: when I check spelling in a
 document I add words and variants of words that appear in multiple
 documents. However, those attempts at addition appear to not work. The next
 time I check the same document, the same words are flagged for correction.

Where do I look for a reason for this behavior?

Out of my mind:

ToolsSettingsLanguage or Spellcheck or somethingPersonal Dir.

Günter



Re: question re citation

2009-04-28 Thread Guenter Milde
On 2009-04-27, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:

 In a document (Lyx1.6.1) I get an error message 
 TeX capacity exceeded
 cite{a reference}{319}{13.5.3}{section*.37}
 If you really absolutely need more capacity ...

 I tried to remove the citation from the text for a later inspection what was 
 going wrong with it, by putting it in a yellow note-box and re-ran the 
 pdf-latex preview. It still gave the same error message. If I click on the 
 citation and in the lyx literature box click on the reference and try to 
 remove it (remove, ok) it is not removed. 
 Now, interestingly, the same happens also if I am removing the citation 
 completely from the text. I have to leave the lyx session and restart it 
 again in order to get rid of it.

 I guess it has to do with the aux file which is still existing and contains 
 the citation it is chocking on. 

Most probably.

 [By the way, (I do not think it has to do with it) I am producing (and 
 inserting) the citations via a JabRef bib-file.]

Still, the aux-file is generated (from the document and the bibtex-extracted
citations).

 It is annoying to have to restart the session for each removal. Is there a 
 better way? 

Does closing and reopening the doc help? Or just try a second/third time?
Maybe even Save, do some silly change, FileRevert to saved.

Günter



Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Jürgen Spitzmüller
Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
 The current LyX version is using utf8, right?

Yes, LyX internally uses utf8.

Bib files, however, must not be encoded in utf8:
http://wiki.lyx.org/BibTeX/Tips#toc1

Jürgen


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Kosta Welke
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:35:35 +0200
Wolfgang Engelmann engelm...@uni-tuebingen.de wrote:

 I have a reference from a (JabRef created) bib-file which LyX (1.6.2)
 does not like. The begin of the bib file states that it is encoded in
 utf8. I can't see anything strange in the reference and in the bibtex
 output. How can I check this (and if possible the whole file) for
 coding errors? The current LyX version is using utf8, right?

You can set the document encoding in Document-Settings-Language. I
don't know about the default encoding, though.

I'm not sure if BibTeX files are allowed to have non-ASCII characters
in normal LaTeX (I'm completely LaTeX incompetent), but I know that
with XeTeX, you can have utf8 characters in you BibTeX file.

The brute force method to find out your document encoding is to type
some special characters in lyx, open the document with a text editor
that lets you choose the encoding and see in which encoding the
characters are displayed correcly (but I guess there is also a
non-braindamaged way).

Cheers,

Kosta


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Jürgen Spitzmüller
Kosta Welke wrote:
 I'm not sure if BibTeX files are allowed to have non-ASCII characters
 in normal LaTeX (I'm completely LaTeX incompetent), but I know that
 with XeTeX, you can have utf8 characters in you BibTeX file.

Which, however, will make bibtex (the program) fail (at least) on sorting. Or 
does XeTeX ship its own bibtex variant?

Jürgen


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Kosta Welke
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:59:23 +0200
Jürgen Spitzmüller sp...@lyx.org wrote:

 Which, however, will make bibtex (the program) fail (at least) on
 sorting. Or does XeTeX ship its own bibtex variant?

Sorry, I'm completely ignorant of the details. I just know that adding
weird swedish special characters to my bibtex file just worked in a
XeTeX LyX document. So I guess it probably ships its own bibtex...

Cheers,

Kosta


Re: 1.6.2 instability with multiple child docs, OSX?

2009-04-28 Thread Andrew Sullivan
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 07:41:52AM +0200, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
 
 A backtrace would be even better.

Is there some Fine Manual I ought to be reading to learn where I ought
to expect the core file?

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
a...@shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Jürgen Spitzmüller
Kosta Welke wrote:
  Which, however, will make bibtex (the program) fail (at least) on
  sorting. Or does XeTeX ship its own bibtex variant?

 Sorry, I'm completely ignorant of the details. I just know that adding
 weird swedish special characters to my bibtex file just worked in a
 XeTeX LyX document. So I guess it probably ships its own bibtex...

The fact that it just works (for you) doesn't mean that it works. Bib 
files in utf8 also happen to work with traditional LaTeX. You do not 
necessarily see the problems, but eventually, it just might fail miserably.

Bibtex can only handle 7-bit correctly. Bibtex8 handles 8-bit. Neither can 
deal with multibyte characters (although apparently only bibtex8 complains 
about such files, bibtex just passes it silently  [which is bad]).

To my best knowledge, XeTeX relies on traditional bibtex (or bibtex8) as well, 
so unless you prove me wrong, I'm gonna re-edit the wiki.

Jürgen



Re: 1.6.2 instability with multiple child docs, OSX?

2009-04-28 Thread Jürgen Spitzmüller
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
  A backtrace would be even better.

 Is there some Fine Manual I ought to be reading to learn where I ought
 to expect the core file?

No, just run LyX from within the debugger of your choice. Here are some (very) 
basic instructions, only relevant if you didn't use a debugger yet:
http://wiki.lyx.org/FAQ/FurtherHelp#toc4

Jürgen


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Jürgen Spitzmüller
Also sprach Wolfgang Engelmann:
  Bib files, however, must not be encoded in utf8:
  http://wiki.lyx.org/BibTeX/Tips#toc1
 
  Jürgen

 same with biblatex?

Yes. Quoting the biblatex manual (sec. 2.4.3):

Using UTF-8 encoding in both the tex and the bib file is not possible since
neither traditional BibTeX nor bibtex8 can handle multi-byte encodings
such as UTF-8. In this case, you need to use a single-byte encoding such
as Latin 1 [...] or resort to Ascii notation in the bib file

Having said that, a replacement program for bibtex (written in Perl) with 
specific target to biblatex is just being developed:
http://biblatex-biber.sourceforge.net/

Jürgen


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Wolfgang Engelmann
Am Tuesday 28 April 2009 12:43:32 schrieb Jürgen Spitzmüller:

 Having said that, a replacement program for bibtex (written in Perl) with
 specific target to biblatex is just being developed:
 http://biblatex-biber.sourceforge.net/

 Jürgen

good to know. Is it already in a functioning stage?

Wolfgang


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Jürgen Spitzmüller
Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
 good to know. Is it already in a functioning stage?

I haven't tested it yet. Officially, it is in beta stage, but some people 
apparently already use it for daily work.

Jürgen


Re: question re citation

2009-04-28 Thread Wolfgang Engelmann
Am Tuesday 28 April 2009 10:26:30 schrieb Guenter Milde:


 Still, the aux-file is generated (from the document and the
 bibtex-extracted citations).

  It is annoying to have to restart the session for each removal. Is there
  a better way?

 Does closing and reopening the doc help? Or just try a second/third time?
 Maybe even Save, do some silly change, FileRevert to saved.

Thanks, Guenther,

closing and reopening the doc and/or save does not help.
Will try your other proposals next time I am getting this error. 

Wolfgang


references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Wolfgang Engelmann
I have a reference from a (JabRef created) bib-file which LyX (1.6.2) does not 
like. The begin of the bib file states that it is encoded in utf8. I can't 
see anything strange in the reference and in the bibtex output. 
How can I check this (and if possible the whole file) for coding errors?
The current LyX version is using utf8, right?

Wolfgang


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Kosta Welke
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:25:49 +0200
Jürgen Spitzmüller sp...@lyx.org wrote:

 Bibtex can only handle 7-bit correctly. Bibtex8 handles 8-bit.
 Neither can deal with multibyte characters (although apparently only
 bibtex8 complains about such files, bibtex just passes it silently
 [which is bad]).

Well, I just tried adding some characters that definitely are
multi-byte (e.g. ค from the thai alphabet) to a test bibtex file. It
worked with XeTeX in the sense that no error was raised (at least I
didnt see any in the console log), and the character was replaced by
whitespace (just like when the character is not in the alphabet you're
using).

With normal LaTeX and default encoding, I get a T1 encoding error.
With utf8 encoding, I get a unicode char not set up for use with
LaTeX error.

To be honest, my LaTeX suck and I really don't know the internals. A
way to tell XeLaTeX to use a different font for non-latin characters in
the bibliography would be great. Currently, allowing but not displaying
characters is pretty useless (except for those chars that are in the
font, which seems to be the case e.g. for european special chars but
not for e.g. asian fonts)

HTH,

Kosta


kpsewhich appears to require root permissions (Ubunutu 9.04)

2009-04-28 Thread David A. Case
I know this is a LaTeX (or Tex-live) question, but it keeps me from
running LyX:

I upgraded from ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04; now kpsewhich requires root
permissions: e.g. kpsewhich article.cls returns nothins, but sudo
kpsewhich article.cls returns the correct path.  Hence, LyX seems to
work fine when invoked as root, but not as an ordinary user.

Does anyone know how to debug this?  I used synaptic to uninstall, then
reinstall texlive, but that had now effect.  All of the ls-R files
appear to be world readable.  Running (sudo) texhash doesn't change
anything.  /usr/bin/kpsewhich has world-executable permissions.

...thanks!...dave case



Re: kpsewhich appears to require root permissions (Ubunutu 9.04) --FIXED

2009-04-28 Thread David A. Case
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009, David A. Case wrote:

 I upgraded from ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04; now kpsewhich requires root
 permissions: e.g. kpsewhich article.cls returns nothins, but sudo
 kpsewhich article.cls returns the correct path. 

Sorry for the false alarm--I tracked the problem down to a stray (and
incorrect) TEXINPUTS environment variable.  Root was working just
because the root account did not have the bad variable.

Sorry for the noise...thx..dac



Re: 1.6.2 Spelling Check Issue

2009-04-28 Thread Rich Shepard

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Guenter Milde wrote:


ToolsSettingsLanguage or Spellcheck or somethingPersonal Dir.


Guenter,

  I don't have a Tools menu; File, Edit, Insert, Layout, View, Navigate,
Document, Help is all I have had. However, ... in
Edit-Preferences-Language-Spell checking I see that no personal
dictionary is listed. However, since aspell is used in other text editors
(emacs, joe), I'm sure it must be somewhere on the system. I'll see if I can
identify the file name.

Thanks,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.   |  IntegrityCredibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.|Innovation
http://www.appl-ecosys.com Voice: 503-667-4517  Fax: 503-667-8863


Re: 1.6.2 Spelling Check Issue

2009-04-28 Thread Rich Shepard

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Rich Shepard wrote:


However, since aspell is used in other text editors (emacs, joe), I'm sure
it must be somewhere on the system. I'll see if I can identify the file
name.


  And there it is ~/.aspell.en.pws.

Thanks for the pointer,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.   |  IntegrityCredibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.|Innovation
http://www.appl-ecosys.com Voice: 503-667-4517  Fax: 503-667-8863


Re: text styles

2009-04-28 Thread Paul A. Rubin

tedc wrote:



I do have one question, though. The OO file used text styles to specify
the formatting of inline source code, names of GUI tools, and chapter
crossreferences. In LyX these show up as ERT, like the boldfaced bit here:
\textstyleInlinecode{for i=0,n-1}
When I click on View DVI, these generate Undefined control sequence
errors.

I could, of course, use sed or awk to replace these with LyX markup that
would force the correct typeface (in this case, the typewriter family),
but I'd rather leave the markup unchanged, and have LyX or LaTeX figure out
what to do.

So my question is: how do I tell LyX or LaTeX that
\textstyleInlinecode{for i=0,n-1}
means to render
for i=0,n-1
with a specified typeface? or at least as typewriter?


Early in the TeX file that OO emitted, there should be a definition of 
the \textstyleInlinecode command, something like 
\newcommand{\textstyleInlinecode}{...} (or possibly \providecommand 
rather than \newcommand).  If you copy that and paste it into the 
preamble of your LyX document, it should do the job.  For long-term 
document maintenance I'd be inclined to go the route Richard suggests, 
but the above should work as a short term hack.  The one catch is that 
it will (hopefully) display the text correctly in the PDF (or whatever) 
output, but in the LyX GUI I believe you'll get the LyX commands and not 
the formatted text.


/Paul




Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Kosta Welke
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:05:48 +0200
Kosta Welke ko...@fillibach.de wrote:

 Well, I just tried adding some characters that definitely are
 multi-byte (e.g. ค from the thai alphabet) to a test bibtex file. It
 worked with XeTeX in the sense that [...] the character was replaced
 by whitespace (just like when the character is not in the alphabet
 you're using).

I just tried adding a chinese character using {\fontspec{Sazanami
Mincho}猫} into the BibTeX and it worked flawlessly. It seems that
BibTeX does not really care what is between the curly braces and just
copies the octets. And as utf8 encodes multibyte characters into the
0x80 and upward space, I don't seem how this can blow in my face. (This
also seems to be the opinion on the XeTeX mailing list)

Here's my example lyx/bib pair:
http://lastpageofthe.net/xetex-problems/utf8-test.lyx
http://lastpageofthe.net/xetex-problems/utf8-test.bib

You might need to replace Sazanami Mincho with a font that you have
actually installed on your system, though.

Cheers,

Kosta


RE: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Vincent van Ravesteijn - TNW
 
 Bibtex can only handle 7-bit correctly. Bibtex8 handles 8-bit.
 Neither can deal with multibyte characters (although apparently only
 bibtex8 complains about such files, bibtex just passes it silently 
 [which is bad]).

Can't we make LyX giving a warning when it detects multi-byte characters in a 
bibtex file ? This often leads to questions.

(Especially since we have the do not show again-type of alerts).

Vincent


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Jürgen Spitzmüller
Kosta Welke wrote:
 I just tried adding a chinese character using {\fontspec{Sazanami
 Mincho}猫} into the BibTeX and it worked flawlessly. It seems that
 BibTeX does not really care what is between the curly braces and just
 copies the octets. And as utf8 encodes multibyte characters into the
 0x80 and upward space, I don't seem how this can blow in my face. (This
 also seems to be the opinion on the XeTeX mailing list)

However, this does not fix the sorting problem.

Jürgen


blue underline of pasted text

2009-04-28 Thread James C . Sutherland
When I paste text from one document to another, I get blue  
underlines.  I do not have change tracking turned on.  Does anyone  
know how to disable this underlining?


The underlining does not show up in compiled output - only in the LyX  
editor...


Re: blue underline of pasted text

2009-04-28 Thread James C. Sutherland


On Apr 28, 2009, at 8:29 AM, James C. Sutherland wrote:

When I paste text from one document to another, I get blue  
underlines.  I do not have change tracking turned on.  Does anyone  
know how to disable this underlining?


The underlining does not show up in compiled output - only in the  
LyX editor...


LyX 1.6.2 on Mac OSX 10.5.6.


RE: blue underline of pasted text

2009-04-28 Thread Vincent van Ravesteijn - TNW
 
When I paste text from one document to another, I get blue
underlines.  I do not have change tracking turned on. Does
anyone know how to disable this underlining?

Yes, then the language setting of this text is different as the default
language of the document.

Select the text and choose the textstyle-dialog and reset the language.

Vincent


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Kosta Welke
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 16:24:07 +0200
Jürgen Spitzmüller sp...@lyx.org wrote:

 Kosta Welke wrote:
  I just tried adding a chinese character using {\fontspec{Sazanami
  Mincho}猫} into the BibTeX and it worked flawlessly.
 However, this does not fix the sorting problem.

Well if we're happy with 'sort by unicode number', sorting utf8
byte-by-byte should be fine (i think).

If you want sorting like specified in
http://unicode.org/reports/tr10/
I guess you need to patch bibtex (or use bibtex8? I'm not sure).

Either way, I'm out of this discussion as I'm really no expert on
either bibtex nor unicode :) (As you already figured)

Cheers,

Kosta


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Jürgen Spitzmüller
Vincent van Ravesteijn - TNW wrote:
 Can't we make LyX giving a warning when it detects multi-byte characters in
 a bibtex file ? This often leads to questions.

I'm not sure we can detect those characters.

Jürgen


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Jürgen Spitzmüller
Kosta Welke wrote:
  Kosta Welke wrote:
   I just tried adding a chinese character using {\fontspec{Sazanami
   Mincho}猫} into the BibTeX and it worked flawlessly.
 
  However, this does not fix the sorting problem.

 Well if we're happy with 'sort by unicode number', sorting utf8
 byte-by-byte should be fine (i think).

To see what I mean, try the attached bib files. Use \nocite* in the document 
to get all entries and see how BibTeX sorts the entry with the name Bär 
wrongly in the utf8-encoded file (the name Bär must be sorted right after 
Baar and before Bauman).

Bibtex8 does this specific case right, because the latin1 glyphs have the same 
code points in unicode. However, bibtex8 will scream and bail out at the first 
multibyte character it finds. I guess sorting on non-latin1 glyphs will be 
just random.

Jürgen
@Article{Baa08,
  Author = {Baar, Hans},
  Title  = {Something},
  Journal= {Somewhere},
  year   = 2008
}

@Article{Bar08,
  Author = {Bär, Peter},
  Title  = {Something else},
  Journal= {Somewhere else},
  year   = 2008
}

@Article{Bau08,
  Author = {Bauman, Charles},
  Title  = {And yet something else},
  Journal= {At a third place},
  year   = 2008
}

@Article{Bux08,
  Author = {Buxtehude, Dietrich},
  Title  = {And a fourth something else},
  Journal= {At a fourth location},
  year   = 2008
}

@Article{Baa08,
  Author = {Baar, Hans},
  Title  = {Something},
  Journal= {Somewhere},
  year   = 2008
}

@Article{Bar08,
  Author = {B\ar, Peter},
  Title  = {Something else},
  Journal= {Somewhere else},
  year   = 2008
}

@Article{Bau08,
  Author = {Bauman, Charles},
  Title  = {And yet something else},
  Journal= {At a third place},
  year   = 2008
}

@Article{Bux08,
  Author = {Buxtehude, Dietrich},
  Title  = {And a fourth something else},
  Journal= {At a fourth location},
  year   = 2008
}



hyperref conflicts with cite package?

2009-04-28 Thread James C. Sutherland
If I turn on hyperref support, then the cite package breaks.   
Specifically, citations that would normally appear as [5-9] now appear  
as [5,6,7,8,9].  If I turn off hyperref then it works again.


Is this a package conflict, or a bug in LyX?

LyX 1.6.2, Mac OSX 10.5.6


Re: Differences in Output Quality?

2009-04-28 Thread Rich Shepard

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Guenter Milde wrote:


This is no longer true, as you can define lossless PDF - EPS
conversion. Description should be in the Wiki. Newer LyX installs will set
up this by default, if the required programs are available.


Guenter,

  I found nothing when I searched the wiki with 'pdf eps'. Regardless, I see
that the default file conversions for pdf - eps and eps - pdf use ps2pdf
so that should be OK.


Could you describe the difference? Are you using microtype?


  No, I'm not using microtype. I think that xpdf and acroread display the
Pallitino typeface differently (xpdf looks sharper), yet the images display
with greater sharpness in acroread. Go figure. But, when printed, both look
fine.

Thanks,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.   |  IntegrityCredibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.|Innovation
http://www.appl-ecosys.com Voice: 503-667-4517  Fax: 503-667-8863


Re: Beamer Class Viewing -- RESOLVED

2009-04-28 Thread Rich Shepard

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Rich Shepard wrote:


 When I try to view the developing presentation using pdflatex I get
errors. I also get errors if I try to view it with dvi because the
included graphics are .pdf format.


  I have this resolved, but it's not displaying as expected. So, it's back
to the manual for me.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.   |  IntegrityCredibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.|Innovation
http://www.appl-ecosys.com Voice: 503-667-4517  Fax: 503-667-8863


Símbolos musicales

2009-04-28 Thread Daniel Blech

¿Cómo hago para insertar símbolos musicales en un documento lyx?

Hasta ahora sólo pude hacerlo con imágenes, pero supongo que hay fuentes 
específicas disponibles.


Gracias por la ayuda!

Daniel


Beamer color theme question

2009-04-28 Thread Rich Shepard

  I copied a presentation made about three years ago to a new name for use
with the upcoming presentation. Since the original was written I upgraded
beamer to the current 3.07. I see that the definitions of various themes
have changed. Regardless, in the preamble I specify \usecolortheme{crane},
but the slides do not have the title or block headings colored, only the
section titles.

  If someone can point me to what I need to change, I'd appreciate it.
Here's the current preamble:

\date{}
\usetheme{JuanLesPins}
\useinnertheme{circles}
\useoutertheme{smoothtree}
\usecolortheme{crane}
\setbeamercovered{transparent}
%\hypersetup{bookmarksopen=false,pdfpagemode=FullScreen}
\usepackage{graphicx,relsize}

TIA,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.   |  IntegrityCredibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.|Innovation
http://www.appl-ecosys.com Voice: 503-667-4517  Fax: 503-667-8863


Re: Símbolos musicales

2009-04-28 Thread Piero Faustini
Daniel Blech blech.dan...@... writes:

 
 ¿Cómo hago para insertar símbolos musicales en un documento lyx?
 
 Hasta ahora sólo pude hacerlo con imágenes, pero supongo que hay fuentes 
 específicas disponibles.
 
 Gracias por la ayuda!
 
 Daniel
 
 

depende de cuales simbulos necesitas.

- en LyX 1.6 puedes usar Insert  Special characters (no sè en la version 
espanola) y buscar los tres (o pocos mas) tristes simbulos de los fonts 
estandar (algo como los fonts Denemo de MS Word no existe, creo)

- con el package harmony, junto a la construction de muy complejos simbulos 
de analisis funcional, puedes imprimir tambien los simbulos musicales mas 
basicos, indicaciones de metro, y hasta alguna muy simple celula ritmica, pero 
tienes que ponerlos en el entorno ERT, y no los veras visualizados en LyX.

- Luego hay el sistema MusicTeX, con el cual puedes (siempre en ERT y no 
vizualizado) emprimir practicamente todo y con mucha precision, pero no te lo 
consejo si no eres un experto de LaTeX y no tienes paciencia infinita, a menos 
que sea muy muy muy (o sea: MUY) simple lo que tienes que hacer.

- Si de todas formas quieres algo complicado pero con un resultado excelente 
sin ponerte loco con LaTeX, lo mejor (y lo que uso yo) es LilyPond, que es 
suportado por LyX (que lo ENSENA), y que tendrias que instalar y aprender 
(confrontado con MusixTeX es hasta muy entretenido) pero eso es un capitulo a 
parte, si lo necesitas, deberìa explicarte mas en detalle COMO. Pero eso sì, la 
manera mas practica con Lilypond es usar imagenes, pero no es una manera tan 
fea como parece (LyX desarrolla las imagenes automaticamente si cambias el 
codigo LilyPond, etc.) y dà resultados, a mi manera de ver, inalcanzables con 
los tres otros sistemas. 

Espero haberte ayudado.

Piero

P.S. Y el ingles? (creo que va a ser muy duro recibir ayudas en espanol, 
aqui!!!)





2 or more Figures/examples with convenient numbering

2009-04-28 Thread Piero Faustini
Hello,

I would like to put 2 or more figures of an example in a way that they are 
somewhat put together for comparing them, and I want them to be numbered, 
instead, let's say of 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 in a more convenient and logical 
way, for example 1.1a, 1.1b, 1.1c (subsequent figures/examples should 
continue the normal numbering: 1.2, 1.3 etc.)

For the same reason, I would like to have them put in the same line, if needed.
I have a link to a html document which have several examples like this (sorry, 
musicology stuff, my daily bread!):

http://www.rodoni.ch/MITODIFAUST/CD2/boito-mefistofele-girardi.htm

How to achieve this?

Thanks
Piero



Re: 2 or more Figures/examples with convenient numbering

2009-04-28 Thread Rich Shepard

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Piero Faustini wrote:


I would like to put 2 or more figures of an example in a way that they are
somewhat put together for comparing them,


Piero,

  Use minipages. Put each figure into a separate minipage and they can be
sized to fit across the width of the text area.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.   |  IntegrityCredibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.|Innovation
http://www.appl-ecosys.com Voice: 503-667-4517  Fax: 503-667-8863


Re: 2 or more Figures/examples with convenient numbering

2009-04-28 Thread James C. Sutherland


On Apr 28, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Piero Faustini wrote:


Hello,

I would like to put 2 or more figures of an example in a way that  
they are
somewhat put together for comparing them, and I want them to be  
numbered,
instead, let's say of 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 in a more convenient  
and logical
way, for example 1.1a, 1.1b, 1.1c (subsequent figures/examples  
should

continue the normal numbering: 1.2, 1.3 etc.)

For the same reason, I would like to have them put in the same line,  
if needed.
I have a link to a html document which have several examples like  
this (sorry,

musicology stuff, my daily bread!):

http://www.rodoni.ch/MITODIFAUST/CD2/boito-mefistofele-girardi.htm

How to achieve this?


You can use subfigures (available in 1.6).  See section 1.2 in the  
Embedded Objects help manual.  This will give you exactly what you  
want, I think.


Re: text styles

2009-04-28 Thread Steve Litt
On Monday 27 April 2009 11:51:38 pm Drew Kime wrote:
 On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 8:02 PM, tedc carneva...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
  So my question is: how do I tell LyX or LaTeX that
  \textstyleInlinecode{for i=0,n-1}
  means to render
  for i=0,n-1
  with a specified typeface? or at least as typewriter?
  --

 Lyx has an option to specify a typewriter face. Simply highlight the text,
 click on Edit-Text Style-Customized, and under Family select
 Typewriter. Then check what it does to the code, and do a global replace to
 get all occurrences.

 Drew

You can do that, but in my opinion it's a bad idea because the text should be 
Typewriter for some specific reason. There could be several parts that are 
Typewriter faced for different reasons, and once you say typewriter face, 
you've put them all in one bucket. If you use character styles instead, then 
if later you decide a certain category should also be boldface, you can do 
that.

STevET

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stevelitt



Re: Open .lyx document on different computer and have graphics be okay

2009-04-28 Thread Adam Kennedy
Yep, it was setting an absolute path.  Your suggestion solved the problem.
Thanks,
Adam

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Kosta Welke ko...@fillibach.de wrote:

 On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 23:24:23 +0200, ad_ke kennas...@gmail.com wrote:

  However, I can't figure out how to make
 the document portable.  I keep each document in a project that includes
 each figure, but when I open the file up on a new machine, within that same
 project folder, all the figures are gone.  All that is there is the name
 of the file, and a loaded into memory.  Generating   This stinks when
 there are a lot of images in the document.  There must be a solution to
 this.


 I'm not sure if this relates to your problem, but click on the image and
 check the path. Sometimes, I had problems because lyx used the absolute
 path, like C:\Documents and Settings\Kosta\My Documents\test.png instead
 of a simple test.png.
 Also, what kind of figure are you using? Using bitmaps should yield
 absolutely the same results, while I had problems with vector graphics in
 the past (e.g. with gradients or anything gnuplot generated).

 Cheers,
 Kosta





-- 
http://www.westernclimate.org
http://oregonstate.edu/feel


Re: text styles

2009-04-28 Thread Drew Kime
2009/4/28 Steve Litt sl...@troubleshooters.com

  Lyx has an option to specify a typewriter face. Simply highlight the
 text,
  click on Edit-Text Style-Customized, and under Family select
  Typewriter. Then check what it does to the code, and do a global replace
 to
  get all occurrences.

 You can do that, but in my opinion it's a bad idea because the text should
 be
 Typewriter for some specific reason. There could be several parts that are
 Typewriter faced for different reasons, and once you say typewriter face,
 you've put them all in one bucket. If you use character styles instead,
 then
 if later you decide a certain category should also be boldface, you can do
 that.


In principle I agree with you. But I've found designing my own type styles
somewhat less than user friendly. I'm sure it's one of those things that,
once learned, seems second nature. But the learning curve is pretty steep.

Drew


Re: Beamer color theme question

2009-04-28 Thread Paul A. Rubin

Rich Shepard wrote:

  I copied a presentation made about three years ago to a new name for use
with the upcoming presentation. Since the original was written I upgraded
beamer to the current 3.07. I see that the definitions of various themes
have changed. Regardless, in the preamble I specify \usecolortheme{crane},
but the slides do not have the title or block headings colored, only the
section titles.

  If someone can point me to what I need to change, I'd appreciate it.
Here's the current preamble:

\date{}
\usetheme{JuanLesPins}
\useinnertheme{circles}
\useoutertheme{smoothtree}
\usecolortheme{crane}
\setbeamercovered{transparent}
%\hypersetup{bookmarksopen=false,pdfpagemode=FullScreen}
\usepackage{graphicx,relsize}



Rich,

I don't think the problem is in the preamble -- I pasted your preamble 
into a virgin LyX doc (beamer), added some miscellaneous content and 
viewed it using pdflatex, and it looked right to me.  My setup is LyX 
1.6.1, Beamer 3.07, MiKTeX 2.7 on Win XP.  I tried to attach a small (?) 
sample PDF but qmail had a different opinion of what constitutes 
small.  I'll send it via direct e-mail.



/Paul



Re: 2 or more Figures/examples with convenient numbering

2009-04-28 Thread Piero Faustini
James C. Sutherland james.sutherl...@... writes:

 You can use subfigures (available in 1.6).  See section 1.2 in the  
 Embedded Objects help manual.  This will give you exactly what you  
 want, I think.

Yes, I already knew it existed, and only now I realize it does the same and is 
even more elegant than the example I posted.
 Thanks
Piero







Re: Beamer color adventure

2009-04-28 Thread Rich Shepard

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Paul A. Rubin wrote:


If my PDF is colored in places yours wouldn't be, that suggests the
problem is either somewhere in the presentation other than the preamble or
else something in your setup. You can detect the latter by trying to view
my LyX file at your end.


Paul,

  Ah, so. It turns out that I don't see the title and section headers
colored when I view the developing presenation with xdvik, but I do when I
export and compile it!

  I still have a problem with graphics formats, despite having ps2pdf
designated for eps-pdf conversions. If I try to view/export the document
via pdflatex it borks with the error message that it doesn't grok graphics
files with the .eps extension. If I export as plain latex, run latex a
couple of times on the .tex file, then dvips followed by ps2pdf, then I get
the colored areas.

  Still get the Error: Bad bounding box in Type 3 glyph from somewhere as
I page through the pdf file.

Thanks very much,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.   |  IntegrityCredibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.|Innovation
http://www.appl-ecosys.com Voice: 503-667-4517  Fax: 503-667-8863


Re: text styles

2009-04-28 Thread rgheck

Drew Kime wrote:

2009/4/28 Steve Litt sl...@troubleshooters.com

  

Lyx has an option to specify a typewriter face. Simply highlight the
  

text,


click on Edit-Text Style-Customized, and under Family select
Typewriter. Then check what it does to the code, and do a global replace
  

to


get all occurrences.
  

You can do that, but in my opinion it's a bad idea because the text should
be
Typewriter for some specific reason. There could be several parts that are
Typewriter faced for different reasons, and once you say typewriter face,
you've put them all in one bucket. If you use character styles instead,
then
if later you decide a certain category should also be boldface, you can do
that.


In principle I agree with you. But I've found designing my own type styles
somewhat less than user friendly. I'm sure it's one of those things that,
once learned, seems second nature. But the learning curve is pretty steep.

  

Try using the pre-defined Code style. You can get used to that very fast.

rh



Re: Beamer color theme question

2009-04-28 Thread Rich Shepard

  Update and next plea for help.

  Thanks to Paul's sending me a text document as a .pdf file I discovered
the problem was how I was compiling/viewing the developing presentation. So,
now I converted the few .eps files to .pdf and viewing the presentation via
pdflatex. Within xpdf the colors are displaying properly ... but I still
have one unresolved issue.

  On the initial slide with the title and presenter information, I have
these two pieces of LaTeX:

\pgfdeclareimage[height=0.5cm]{institution-logo}{/home/rshepard/data/wpdocs/workshop-presentations/aust-may-2009/aesi-logo.pdf}

\logo{\pgfuseimage{institution-logo}}

  But, it's not displaying. Doesn't matter if I specify the logo as .eps or
.pdf, the result of running pdflatex and viewing the result in xpdf is a box
with institution-logo across it. I think this is because when I view
either format, it's in the lower left corner of a letter-size page. I assume
that what I'm seeing on the slides is the white space above the logo. I
don't know of a tool I have that will let me crop an .eps file. The Gimp
will do the job if I convert it to a raster format, but I suspect I lose a
lot of quality in converting both directions.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.   |  IntegrityCredibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.|Innovation
http://www.appl-ecosys.com Voice: 503-667-4517  Fax: 503-667-8863


Re: Beamer color theme question

2009-04-28 Thread Rich Shepard

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Rich Shepard wrote:


I think this is because when I view either format, it's in the lower left
corner of a letter-size page. I assume that what I'm seeing on the slides
is the white space above the logo. I don't know of a tool I have that will
let me crop an .eps file.


  I edited the PostScript file and changed the bounding box until the image
was in the upper left corner. Makes no difference to beamer, however. Still
no image.

  Anyone have a clue what I need to change?

TIA,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.   |  IntegrityCredibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.|Innovation
http://www.appl-ecosys.com Voice: 503-667-4517  Fax: 503-667-8863


Re: Beamer color adventure

2009-04-28 Thread Paul A. Rubin

Rich Shepard wrote:

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Paul A. Rubin wrote:


If my PDF is colored in places yours wouldn't be, that suggests the
problem is either somewhere in the presentation other than the 
preamble or

else something in your setup. You can detect the latter by trying to view
my LyX file at your end.


Paul,

  Ah, so. It turns out that I don't see the title and section headers
colored when I view the developing presenation with xdvik, but I do when I
export and compile it!

  I still have a problem with graphics formats, despite having ps2pdf
designated for eps-pdf conversions. If I try to view/export the document
via pdflatex it borks with the error message that it doesn't grok graphics
files with the .eps extension. If I export as plain latex, run latex a
couple of times on the .tex file, then dvips followed by ps2pdf, then I get
the colored areas.

  Still get the Error: Bad bounding box in Type 3 glyph from somewhere as
I page through the pdf file.



Any reason not to use pdflatex?  I'm not sure it's officially preferred 
for beamer presentations, but one out of one beamer users surveyed (me) 
prefers it.


/Paul



Re: Beamer color adventure

2009-04-28 Thread Rich Shepard

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Paul A. Rubin wrote:


Any reason not to use pdflatex?


Paul,

  Nope.


I'm not sure it's officially preferred for beamer presentations, but one
out of one beamer users surveyed (me) prefers it.


  Actually, I think it is. Now I'm getting back to the rhythm I recall using
pdflatex to view/export previous presentations.

  I don't know what the logo issue is since that had not appeared before.

  The type 3 glyph error is also new, but not critical.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.   |  IntegrityCredibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.|Innovation
http://www.appl-ecosys.com Voice: 503-667-4517  Fax: 503-667-8863


Re: hyperref conflicts with cite package?

2009-04-28 Thread BH
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 11:10 AM, James C. Sutherland
james.sutherl...@utah.edu wrote:
 If I turn on hyperref support, then the cite package breaks.  Specifically,
 citations that would normally appear as [5-9] now appear as [5,6,7,8,9].  If
 I turn off hyperref then it works again.

 Is this a package conflict, or a bug in LyX?

 LyX 1.6.2, Mac OSX 10.5.6

From the hyperref documentation:

cite
This is from Mike Shell:
 cite.sty cannot currently be used with hyperref.
 However, I can do a workaround via:

 \makeatletter
 \def\...@parse{\typeout{this is a fake Natbib command to fool Hyperref.}}
 \makeatother

 \usepackage[hypertex]{hyperref}

 so that hyperref will not redefine any of the biblabel stuff - so cite.sty
 will work as normal - although the citations will not be hyperlinked, of
 course (But this may not be an issue for many people).

Bennett


Re: Beamer color theme question

2009-04-28 Thread Paul A. Rubin

Rich Shepard wrote:



  On the initial slide with the title and presenter information, I have
these two pieces of LaTeX:

\pgfdeclareimage[height=0.5cm]{institution-logo}{/home/rshepard/data/wpdocs/workshop-presentations/aust-may-2009/aesi-logo.pdf} 



\logo{\pgfuseimage{institution-logo}}

  But, it's not displaying. Doesn't matter if I specify the logo as .eps or
.pdf, the result of running pdflatex and viewing the result in xpdf is a 
box

with institution-logo across it. I think this is because when I view
either format, it's in the lower left corner of a letter-size page. I 
assume

that what I'm seeing on the slides is the white space above the logo. I
don't know of a tool I have that will let me crop an .eps file. The Gimp
will do the job if I convert it to a raster format, but I suspect I lose a
lot of quality in converting both directions.



I'm not positive, but I don't think it's a cropping issue.  That might 
account for white space, but I don't think you would see the words 
institution-logo.  I think beamer will only display that if it doesn't 
have an image to display, which means (if I'm right) that either the 
\pgfdeclareimage failed to find the image file or maybe some conversion 
error took place.  FWIW, I pasted your two lines into my test document, 
changed the path to an image I had (I tried both a PDF and a PNG image) 
and it worked (both times).


If you haven't already done so, you might check the LaTeX log (to see if 
the \pgfdeclareimage command triggered a message).


/Paul



cross reference as line number in page

2009-04-28 Thread Abe Lau
Hi all,
Is there any good way to put a cross reference to a label in a format
like line 38 on page 123?

Thanks,
Abe


Re: Differences in Output Quality?

2009-04-28 Thread Guenter Milde
On 2009-04-27, Rich Shepard wrote:
Question for folks here: will pdf output display differently if I insert
 figures as .eps or .pdf?

In the first case, I need to export to plain LaTeX, run latex a
 couple of times on the resulting .tex file, then dvips followed by
 ps2pdf.  In the second case I export using pdflatex.

This is no longer true, as you can define lossless PDF - EPS
conversion. Description should be in the Wiki. Newer LyX installs will
set up this by default, if the required programs are available.

When I use the first approach I see higher quality in xpdf than I do with
 acroread, 

Could you describe the difference? Are you using microtype?

Günter



Re: 1.6.2 Spelling Check Issue

2009-04-28 Thread Guenter Milde
On 2009-04-27, Rich Shepard wrote:
I don't recall having this problem before: when I check spelling in a
 document I add words and variants of words that appear in multiple
 documents. However, those attempts at addition appear to not work. The next
 time I check the same document, the same words are flagged for correction.

Where do I look for a reason for this behavior?

Out of my mind:

ToolsSettingsLanguage or Spellcheck or somethingPersonal Dir.

Günter



Re: question re citation

2009-04-28 Thread Guenter Milde
On 2009-04-27, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:

 In a document (Lyx1.6.1) I get an error message 
 TeX capacity exceeded
 cite{a reference}{319}{13.5.3}{section*.37}
 If you really absolutely need more capacity ...

 I tried to remove the citation from the text for a later inspection what was 
 going wrong with it, by putting it in a yellow note-box and re-ran the 
 pdf-latex preview. It still gave the same error message. If I click on the 
 citation and in the lyx literature box click on the reference and try to 
 remove it (remove, ok) it is not removed. 
 Now, interestingly, the same happens also if I am removing the citation 
 completely from the text. I have to leave the lyx session and restart it 
 again in order to get rid of it.

 I guess it has to do with the aux file which is still existing and contains 
 the citation it is chocking on. 

Most probably.

 [By the way, (I do not think it has to do with it) I am producing (and 
 inserting) the citations via a JabRef bib-file.]

Still, the aux-file is generated (from the document and the bibtex-extracted
citations).

 It is annoying to have to restart the session for each removal. Is there a 
 better way? 

Does closing and reopening the doc help? Or just try a second/third time?
Maybe even Save, do some silly change, FileRevert to saved.

Günter



Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Jürgen Spitzmüller
Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
 The current LyX version is using utf8, right?

Yes, LyX internally uses utf8.

Bib files, however, must not be encoded in utf8:
http://wiki.lyx.org/BibTeX/Tips#toc1

Jürgen


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Kosta Welke
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:35:35 +0200
Wolfgang Engelmann engelm...@uni-tuebingen.de wrote:

 I have a reference from a (JabRef created) bib-file which LyX (1.6.2)
 does not like. The begin of the bib file states that it is encoded in
 utf8. I can't see anything strange in the reference and in the bibtex
 output. How can I check this (and if possible the whole file) for
 coding errors? The current LyX version is using utf8, right?

You can set the document encoding in Document-Settings-Language. I
don't know about the default encoding, though.

I'm not sure if BibTeX files are allowed to have non-ASCII characters
in normal LaTeX (I'm completely LaTeX incompetent), but I know that
with XeTeX, you can have utf8 characters in you BibTeX file.

The brute force method to find out your document encoding is to type
some special characters in lyx, open the document with a text editor
that lets you choose the encoding and see in which encoding the
characters are displayed correcly (but I guess there is also a
non-braindamaged way).

Cheers,

Kosta


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Jürgen Spitzmüller
Kosta Welke wrote:
 I'm not sure if BibTeX files are allowed to have non-ASCII characters
 in normal LaTeX (I'm completely LaTeX incompetent), but I know that
 with XeTeX, you can have utf8 characters in you BibTeX file.

Which, however, will make bibtex (the program) fail (at least) on sorting. Or 
does XeTeX ship its own bibtex variant?

Jürgen


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Kosta Welke
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:59:23 +0200
Jürgen Spitzmüller sp...@lyx.org wrote:

 Which, however, will make bibtex (the program) fail (at least) on
 sorting. Or does XeTeX ship its own bibtex variant?

Sorry, I'm completely ignorant of the details. I just know that adding
weird swedish special characters to my bibtex file just worked in a
XeTeX LyX document. So I guess it probably ships its own bibtex...

Cheers,

Kosta


Re: 1.6.2 instability with multiple child docs, OSX?

2009-04-28 Thread Andrew Sullivan
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 07:41:52AM +0200, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
 
 A backtrace would be even better.

Is there some Fine Manual I ought to be reading to learn where I ought
to expect the core file?

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
a...@shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Jürgen Spitzmüller
Kosta Welke wrote:
  Which, however, will make bibtex (the program) fail (at least) on
  sorting. Or does XeTeX ship its own bibtex variant?

 Sorry, I'm completely ignorant of the details. I just know that adding
 weird swedish special characters to my bibtex file just worked in a
 XeTeX LyX document. So I guess it probably ships its own bibtex...

The fact that it just works (for you) doesn't mean that it works. Bib 
files in utf8 also happen to work with traditional LaTeX. You do not 
necessarily see the problems, but eventually, it just might fail miserably.

Bibtex can only handle 7-bit correctly. Bibtex8 handles 8-bit. Neither can 
deal with multibyte characters (although apparently only bibtex8 complains 
about such files, bibtex just passes it silently  [which is bad]).

To my best knowledge, XeTeX relies on traditional bibtex (or bibtex8) as well, 
so unless you prove me wrong, I'm gonna re-edit the wiki.

Jürgen



Re: 1.6.2 instability with multiple child docs, OSX?

2009-04-28 Thread Jürgen Spitzmüller
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
  A backtrace would be even better.

 Is there some Fine Manual I ought to be reading to learn where I ought
 to expect the core file?

No, just run LyX from within the debugger of your choice. Here are some (very) 
basic instructions, only relevant if you didn't use a debugger yet:
http://wiki.lyx.org/FAQ/FurtherHelp#toc4

Jürgen


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Jürgen Spitzmüller
Also sprach Wolfgang Engelmann:
  Bib files, however, must not be encoded in utf8:
  http://wiki.lyx.org/BibTeX/Tips#toc1
 
  Jürgen

 same with biblatex?

Yes. Quoting the biblatex manual (sec. 2.4.3):

Using UTF-8 encoding in both the tex and the bib file is not possible since
neither traditional BibTeX nor bibtex8 can handle multi-byte encodings
such as UTF-8. In this case, you need to use a single-byte encoding such
as Latin 1 [...] or resort to Ascii notation in the bib file

Having said that, a replacement program for bibtex (written in Perl) with 
specific target to biblatex is just being developed:
http://biblatex-biber.sourceforge.net/

Jürgen


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Wolfgang Engelmann
Am Tuesday 28 April 2009 12:43:32 schrieb Jürgen Spitzmüller:

 Having said that, a replacement program for bibtex (written in Perl) with
 specific target to biblatex is just being developed:
 http://biblatex-biber.sourceforge.net/

 Jürgen

good to know. Is it already in a functioning stage?

Wolfgang


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Jürgen Spitzmüller
Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
 good to know. Is it already in a functioning stage?

I haven't tested it yet. Officially, it is in beta stage, but some people 
apparently already use it for daily work.

Jürgen


Re: question re citation

2009-04-28 Thread Wolfgang Engelmann
Am Tuesday 28 April 2009 10:26:30 schrieb Guenter Milde:


 Still, the aux-file is generated (from the document and the
 bibtex-extracted citations).

  It is annoying to have to restart the session for each removal. Is there
  a better way?

 Does closing and reopening the doc help? Or just try a second/third time?
 Maybe even Save, do some silly change, FileRevert to saved.

Thanks, Guenther,

closing and reopening the doc and/or save does not help.
Will try your other proposals next time I am getting this error. 

Wolfgang


references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Wolfgang Engelmann
I have a reference from a (JabRef created) bib-file which LyX (1.6.2) does not 
like. The begin of the bib file states that it is encoded in utf8. I can't 
see anything strange in the reference and in the bibtex output. 
How can I check this (and if possible the whole file) for coding errors?
The current LyX version is using utf8, right?

Wolfgang


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Kosta Welke
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:25:49 +0200
Jürgen Spitzmüller sp...@lyx.org wrote:

 Bibtex can only handle 7-bit correctly. Bibtex8 handles 8-bit.
 Neither can deal with multibyte characters (although apparently only
 bibtex8 complains about such files, bibtex just passes it silently
 [which is bad]).

Well, I just tried adding some characters that definitely are
multi-byte (e.g. ค from the thai alphabet) to a test bibtex file. It
worked with XeTeX in the sense that no error was raised (at least I
didnt see any in the console log), and the character was replaced by
whitespace (just like when the character is not in the alphabet you're
using).

With normal LaTeX and default encoding, I get a T1 encoding error.
With utf8 encoding, I get a unicode char not set up for use with
LaTeX error.

To be honest, my LaTeX suck and I really don't know the internals. A
way to tell XeLaTeX to use a different font for non-latin characters in
the bibliography would be great. Currently, allowing but not displaying
characters is pretty useless (except for those chars that are in the
font, which seems to be the case e.g. for european special chars but
not for e.g. asian fonts)

HTH,

Kosta


kpsewhich appears to require root permissions (Ubunutu 9.04)

2009-04-28 Thread David A. Case
I know this is a LaTeX (or Tex-live) question, but it keeps me from
running LyX:

I upgraded from ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04; now kpsewhich requires root
permissions: e.g. kpsewhich article.cls returns nothins, but sudo
kpsewhich article.cls returns the correct path.  Hence, LyX seems to
work fine when invoked as root, but not as an ordinary user.

Does anyone know how to debug this?  I used synaptic to uninstall, then
reinstall texlive, but that had now effect.  All of the ls-R files
appear to be world readable.  Running (sudo) texhash doesn't change
anything.  /usr/bin/kpsewhich has world-executable permissions.

...thanks!...dave case



Re: kpsewhich appears to require root permissions (Ubunutu 9.04) --FIXED

2009-04-28 Thread David A. Case
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009, David A. Case wrote:

 I upgraded from ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04; now kpsewhich requires root
 permissions: e.g. kpsewhich article.cls returns nothins, but sudo
 kpsewhich article.cls returns the correct path. 

Sorry for the false alarm--I tracked the problem down to a stray (and
incorrect) TEXINPUTS environment variable.  Root was working just
because the root account did not have the bad variable.

Sorry for the noise...thx..dac



Re: 1.6.2 Spelling Check Issue

2009-04-28 Thread Rich Shepard

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Guenter Milde wrote:


ToolsSettingsLanguage or Spellcheck or somethingPersonal Dir.


Guenter,

  I don't have a Tools menu; File, Edit, Insert, Layout, View, Navigate,
Document, Help is all I have had. However, ... in
Edit-Preferences-Language-Spell checking I see that no personal
dictionary is listed. However, since aspell is used in other text editors
(emacs, joe), I'm sure it must be somewhere on the system. I'll see if I can
identify the file name.

Thanks,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.   |  IntegrityCredibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.|Innovation
http://www.appl-ecosys.com Voice: 503-667-4517  Fax: 503-667-8863


Re: 1.6.2 Spelling Check Issue

2009-04-28 Thread Rich Shepard

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Rich Shepard wrote:


However, since aspell is used in other text editors (emacs, joe), I'm sure
it must be somewhere on the system. I'll see if I can identify the file
name.


  And there it is ~/.aspell.en.pws.

Thanks for the pointer,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.   |  IntegrityCredibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.|Innovation
http://www.appl-ecosys.com Voice: 503-667-4517  Fax: 503-667-8863


Re: text styles

2009-04-28 Thread Paul A. Rubin

tedc wrote:



I do have one question, though. The OO file used text styles to specify
the formatting of inline source code, names of GUI tools, and chapter
crossreferences. In LyX these show up as ERT, like the boldfaced bit here:
\textstyleInlinecode{for i=0,n-1}
When I click on View DVI, these generate Undefined control sequence
errors.

I could, of course, use sed or awk to replace these with LyX markup that
would force the correct typeface (in this case, the typewriter family),
but I'd rather leave the markup unchanged, and have LyX or LaTeX figure out
what to do.

So my question is: how do I tell LyX or LaTeX that
\textstyleInlinecode{for i=0,n-1}
means to render
for i=0,n-1
with a specified typeface? or at least as typewriter?


Early in the TeX file that OO emitted, there should be a definition of 
the \textstyleInlinecode command, something like 
\newcommand{\textstyleInlinecode}{...} (or possibly \providecommand 
rather than \newcommand).  If you copy that and paste it into the 
preamble of your LyX document, it should do the job.  For long-term 
document maintenance I'd be inclined to go the route Richard suggests, 
but the above should work as a short term hack.  The one catch is that 
it will (hopefully) display the text correctly in the PDF (or whatever) 
output, but in the LyX GUI I believe you'll get the LyX commands and not 
the formatted text.


/Paul




Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Kosta Welke
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:05:48 +0200
Kosta Welke ko...@fillibach.de wrote:

 Well, I just tried adding some characters that definitely are
 multi-byte (e.g. ค from the thai alphabet) to a test bibtex file. It
 worked with XeTeX in the sense that [...] the character was replaced
 by whitespace (just like when the character is not in the alphabet
 you're using).

I just tried adding a chinese character using {\fontspec{Sazanami
Mincho}猫} into the BibTeX and it worked flawlessly. It seems that
BibTeX does not really care what is between the curly braces and just
copies the octets. And as utf8 encodes multibyte characters into the
0x80 and upward space, I don't seem how this can blow in my face. (This
also seems to be the opinion on the XeTeX mailing list)

Here's my example lyx/bib pair:
http://lastpageofthe.net/xetex-problems/utf8-test.lyx
http://lastpageofthe.net/xetex-problems/utf8-test.bib

You might need to replace Sazanami Mincho with a font that you have
actually installed on your system, though.

Cheers,

Kosta


RE: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Vincent van Ravesteijn - TNW
 
 Bibtex can only handle 7-bit correctly. Bibtex8 handles 8-bit.
 Neither can deal with multibyte characters (although apparently only
 bibtex8 complains about such files, bibtex just passes it silently 
 [which is bad]).

Can't we make LyX giving a warning when it detects multi-byte characters in a 
bibtex file ? This often leads to questions.

(Especially since we have the do not show again-type of alerts).

Vincent


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Jürgen Spitzmüller
Kosta Welke wrote:
 I just tried adding a chinese character using {\fontspec{Sazanami
 Mincho}猫} into the BibTeX and it worked flawlessly. It seems that
 BibTeX does not really care what is between the curly braces and just
 copies the octets. And as utf8 encodes multibyte characters into the
 0x80 and upward space, I don't seem how this can blow in my face. (This
 also seems to be the opinion on the XeTeX mailing list)

However, this does not fix the sorting problem.

Jürgen


blue underline of pasted text

2009-04-28 Thread James C . Sutherland
When I paste text from one document to another, I get blue  
underlines.  I do not have change tracking turned on.  Does anyone  
know how to disable this underlining?


The underlining does not show up in compiled output - only in the LyX  
editor...


Re: blue underline of pasted text

2009-04-28 Thread James C. Sutherland


On Apr 28, 2009, at 8:29 AM, James C. Sutherland wrote:

When I paste text from one document to another, I get blue  
underlines.  I do not have change tracking turned on.  Does anyone  
know how to disable this underlining?


The underlining does not show up in compiled output - only in the  
LyX editor...


LyX 1.6.2 on Mac OSX 10.5.6.


RE: blue underline of pasted text

2009-04-28 Thread Vincent van Ravesteijn - TNW
 
When I paste text from one document to another, I get blue
underlines.  I do not have change tracking turned on. Does
anyone know how to disable this underlining?

Yes, then the language setting of this text is different as the default
language of the document.

Select the text and choose the textstyle-dialog and reset the language.

Vincent


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Kosta Welke
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 16:24:07 +0200
Jürgen Spitzmüller sp...@lyx.org wrote:

 Kosta Welke wrote:
  I just tried adding a chinese character using {\fontspec{Sazanami
  Mincho}猫} into the BibTeX and it worked flawlessly.
 However, this does not fix the sorting problem.

Well if we're happy with 'sort by unicode number', sorting utf8
byte-by-byte should be fine (i think).

If you want sorting like specified in
http://unicode.org/reports/tr10/
I guess you need to patch bibtex (or use bibtex8? I'm not sure).

Either way, I'm out of this discussion as I'm really no expert on
either bibtex nor unicode :) (As you already figured)

Cheers,

Kosta


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Jürgen Spitzmüller
Vincent van Ravesteijn - TNW wrote:
 Can't we make LyX giving a warning when it detects multi-byte characters in
 a bibtex file ? This often leads to questions.

I'm not sure we can detect those characters.

Jürgen


Re: references and coding

2009-04-28 Thread Jürgen Spitzmüller
Kosta Welke wrote:
  Kosta Welke wrote:
   I just tried adding a chinese character using {\fontspec{Sazanami
   Mincho}猫} into the BibTeX and it worked flawlessly.
 
  However, this does not fix the sorting problem.

 Well if we're happy with 'sort by unicode number', sorting utf8
 byte-by-byte should be fine (i think).

To see what I mean, try the attached bib files. Use \nocite* in the document 
to get all entries and see how BibTeX sorts the entry with the name Bär 
wrongly in the utf8-encoded file (the name Bär must be sorted right after 
Baar and before Bauman).

Bibtex8 does this specific case right, because the latin1 glyphs have the same 
code points in unicode. However, bibtex8 will scream and bail out at the first 
multibyte character it finds. I guess sorting on non-latin1 glyphs will be 
just random.

Jürgen
@Article{Baa08,
  Author = {Baar, Hans},
  Title  = {Something},
  Journal= {Somewhere},
  year   = 2008
}

@Article{Bar08,
  Author = {Bär, Peter},
  Title  = {Something else},
  Journal= {Somewhere else},
  year   = 2008
}

@Article{Bau08,
  Author = {Bauman, Charles},
  Title  = {And yet something else},
  Journal= {At a third place},
  year   = 2008
}

@Article{Bux08,
  Author = {Buxtehude, Dietrich},
  Title  = {And a fourth something else},
  Journal= {At a fourth location},
  year   = 2008
}

@Article{Baa08,
  Author = {Baar, Hans},
  Title  = {Something},
  Journal= {Somewhere},
  year   = 2008
}

@Article{Bar08,
  Author = {B\ar, Peter},
  Title  = {Something else},
  Journal= {Somewhere else},
  year   = 2008
}

@Article{Bau08,
  Author = {Bauman, Charles},
  Title  = {And yet something else},
  Journal= {At a third place},
  year   = 2008
}

@Article{Bux08,
  Author = {Buxtehude, Dietrich},
  Title  = {And a fourth something else},
  Journal= {At a fourth location},
  year   = 2008
}



hyperref conflicts with cite package?

2009-04-28 Thread James C. Sutherland
If I turn on hyperref support, then the cite package breaks.   
Specifically, citations that would normally appear as [5-9] now appear  
as [5,6,7,8,9].  If I turn off hyperref then it works again.


Is this a package conflict, or a bug in LyX?

LyX 1.6.2, Mac OSX 10.5.6


Re: Differences in Output Quality?

2009-04-28 Thread Rich Shepard

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Guenter Milde wrote:


This is no longer true, as you can define lossless PDF - EPS
conversion. Description should be in the Wiki. Newer LyX installs will set
up this by default, if the required programs are available.


Guenter,

  I found nothing when I searched the wiki with 'pdf eps'. Regardless, I see
that the default file conversions for pdf - eps and eps - pdf use ps2pdf
so that should be OK.


Could you describe the difference? Are you using microtype?


  No, I'm not using microtype. I think that xpdf and acroread display the
Pallitino typeface differently (xpdf looks sharper), yet the images display
with greater sharpness in acroread. Go figure. But, when printed, both look
fine.

Thanks,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.   |  IntegrityCredibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.|Innovation
http://www.appl-ecosys.com Voice: 503-667-4517  Fax: 503-667-8863


Re: Beamer Class Viewing -- RESOLVED

2009-04-28 Thread Rich Shepard

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Rich Shepard wrote:


 When I try to view the developing presentation using pdflatex I get
errors. I also get errors if I try to view it with dvi because the
included graphics are .pdf format.


  I have this resolved, but it's not displaying as expected. So, it's back
to the manual for me.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.   |  IntegrityCredibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.|Innovation
http://www.appl-ecosys.com Voice: 503-667-4517  Fax: 503-667-8863


Símbolos musicales

2009-04-28 Thread Daniel Blech

¿Cómo hago para insertar símbolos musicales en un documento lyx?

Hasta ahora sólo pude hacerlo con imágenes, pero supongo que hay fuentes 
específicas disponibles.


Gracias por la ayuda!

Daniel


Beamer color theme question

2009-04-28 Thread Rich Shepard

  I copied a presentation made about three years ago to a new name for use
with the upcoming presentation. Since the original was written I upgraded
beamer to the current 3.07. I see that the definitions of various themes
have changed. Regardless, in the preamble I specify \usecolortheme{crane},
but the slides do not have the title or block headings colored, only the
section titles.

  If someone can point me to what I need to change, I'd appreciate it.
Here's the current preamble:

\date{}
\usetheme{JuanLesPins}
\useinnertheme{circles}
\useoutertheme{smoothtree}
\usecolortheme{crane}
\setbeamercovered{transparent}
%\hypersetup{bookmarksopen=false,pdfpagemode=FullScreen}
\usepackage{graphicx,relsize}

TIA,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.   |  IntegrityCredibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.|Innovation
http://www.appl-ecosys.com Voice: 503-667-4517  Fax: 503-667-8863


Re: Símbolos musicales

2009-04-28 Thread Piero Faustini
Daniel Blech blech.dan...@... writes:

 
 ¿Cómo hago para insertar símbolos musicales en un documento lyx?
 
 Hasta ahora sólo pude hacerlo con imágenes, pero supongo que hay fuentes 
 específicas disponibles.
 
 Gracias por la ayuda!
 
 Daniel
 
 

depende de cuales simbulos necesitas.

- en LyX 1.6 puedes usar Insert  Special characters (no sè en la version 
espanola) y buscar los tres (o pocos mas) tristes simbulos de los fonts 
estandar (algo como los fonts Denemo de MS Word no existe, creo)

- con el package harmony, junto a la construction de muy complejos simbulos 
de analisis funcional, puedes imprimir tambien los simbulos musicales mas 
basicos, indicaciones de metro, y hasta alguna muy simple celula ritmica, pero 
tienes que ponerlos en el entorno ERT, y no los veras visualizados en LyX.

- Luego hay el sistema MusicTeX, con el cual puedes (siempre en ERT y no 
vizualizado) emprimir practicamente todo y con mucha precision, pero no te lo 
consejo si no eres un experto de LaTeX y no tienes paciencia infinita, a menos 
que sea muy muy muy (o sea: MUY) simple lo que tienes que hacer.

- Si de todas formas quieres algo complicado pero con un resultado excelente 
sin ponerte loco con LaTeX, lo mejor (y lo que uso yo) es LilyPond, que es 
suportado por LyX (que lo ENSENA), y que tendrias que instalar y aprender 
(confrontado con MusixTeX es hasta muy entretenido) pero eso es un capitulo a 
parte, si lo necesitas, deberìa explicarte mas en detalle COMO. Pero eso sì, la 
manera mas practica con Lilypond es usar imagenes, pero no es una manera tan 
fea como parece (LyX desarrolla las imagenes automaticamente si cambias el 
codigo LilyPond, etc.) y dà resultados, a mi manera de ver, inalcanzables con 
los tres otros sistemas. 

Espero haberte ayudado.

Piero

P.S. Y el ingles? (creo que va a ser muy duro recibir ayudas en espanol, 
aqui!!!)





2 or more Figures/examples with convenient numbering

2009-04-28 Thread Piero Faustini
Hello,

I would like to put 2 or more figures of an example in a way that they are 
somewhat put together for comparing them, and I want them to be numbered, 
instead, let's say of 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 in a more convenient and logical 
way, for example 1.1a, 1.1b, 1.1c (subsequent figures/examples should 
continue the normal numbering: 1.2, 1.3 etc.)

For the same reason, I would like to have them put in the same line, if needed.
I have a link to a html document which have several examples like this (sorry, 
musicology stuff, my daily bread!):

http://www.rodoni.ch/MITODIFAUST/CD2/boito-mefistofele-girardi.htm

How to achieve this?

Thanks
Piero



Re: 2 or more Figures/examples with convenient numbering

2009-04-28 Thread Rich Shepard

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Piero Faustini wrote:


I would like to put 2 or more figures of an example in a way that they are
somewhat put together for comparing them,


Piero,

  Use minipages. Put each figure into a separate minipage and they can be
sized to fit across the width of the text area.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.   |  IntegrityCredibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.|Innovation
http://www.appl-ecosys.com Voice: 503-667-4517  Fax: 503-667-8863


Re: 2 or more Figures/examples with convenient numbering

2009-04-28 Thread James C. Sutherland


On Apr 28, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Piero Faustini wrote:


Hello,

I would like to put 2 or more figures of an example in a way that  
they are
somewhat put together for comparing them, and I want them to be  
numbered,
instead, let's say of 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 in a more convenient  
and logical
way, for example 1.1a, 1.1b, 1.1c (subsequent figures/examples  
should

continue the normal numbering: 1.2, 1.3 etc.)

For the same reason, I would like to have them put in the same line,  
if needed.
I have a link to a html document which have several examples like  
this (sorry,

musicology stuff, my daily bread!):

http://www.rodoni.ch/MITODIFAUST/CD2/boito-mefistofele-girardi.htm

How to achieve this?


You can use subfigures (available in 1.6).  See section 1.2 in the  
Embedded Objects help manual.  This will give you exactly what you  
want, I think.


Re: text styles

2009-04-28 Thread Steve Litt
On Monday 27 April 2009 11:51:38 pm Drew Kime wrote:
 On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 8:02 PM, tedc carneva...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
  So my question is: how do I tell LyX or LaTeX that
  \textstyleInlinecode{for i=0,n-1}
  means to render
  for i=0,n-1
  with a specified typeface? or at least as typewriter?
  --

 Lyx has an option to specify a typewriter face. Simply highlight the text,
 click on Edit-Text Style-Customized, and under Family select
 Typewriter. Then check what it does to the code, and do a global replace to
 get all occurrences.

 Drew

You can do that, but in my opinion it's a bad idea because the text should be 
Typewriter for some specific reason. There could be several parts that are 
Typewriter faced for different reasons, and once you say typewriter face, 
you've put them all in one bucket. If you use character styles instead, then 
if later you decide a certain category should also be boldface, you can do 
that.

STevET

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stevelitt



Re: Open .lyx document on different computer and have graphics be okay

2009-04-28 Thread Adam Kennedy
Yep, it was setting an absolute path.  Your suggestion solved the problem.
Thanks,
Adam

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Kosta Welke ko...@fillibach.de wrote:

 On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 23:24:23 +0200, ad_ke kennas...@gmail.com wrote:

  However, I can't figure out how to make
 the document portable.  I keep each document in a project that includes
 each figure, but when I open the file up on a new machine, within that same
 project folder, all the figures are gone.  All that is there is the name
 of the file, and a loaded into memory.  Generating   This stinks when
 there are a lot of images in the document.  There must be a solution to
 this.


 I'm not sure if this relates to your problem, but click on the image and
 check the path. Sometimes, I had problems because lyx used the absolute
 path, like C:\Documents and Settings\Kosta\My Documents\test.png instead
 of a simple test.png.
 Also, what kind of figure are you using? Using bitmaps should yield
 absolutely the same results, while I had problems with vector graphics in
 the past (e.g. with gradients or anything gnuplot generated).

 Cheers,
 Kosta





-- 
http://www.westernclimate.org
http://oregonstate.edu/feel


Re: text styles

2009-04-28 Thread Drew Kime
2009/4/28 Steve Litt sl...@troubleshooters.com

  Lyx has an option to specify a typewriter face. Simply highlight the
 text,
  click on Edit-Text Style-Customized, and under Family select
  Typewriter. Then check what it does to the code, and do a global replace
 to
  get all occurrences.

 You can do that, but in my opinion it's a bad idea because the text should
 be
 Typewriter for some specific reason. There could be several parts that are
 Typewriter faced for different reasons, and once you say typewriter face,
 you've put them all in one bucket. If you use character styles instead,
 then
 if later you decide a certain category should also be boldface, you can do
 that.


In principle I agree with you. But I've found designing my own type styles
somewhat less than user friendly. I'm sure it's one of those things that,
once learned, seems second nature. But the learning curve is pretty steep.

Drew


Re: Beamer color theme question

2009-04-28 Thread Paul A. Rubin

Rich Shepard wrote:

  I copied a presentation made about three years ago to a new name for use
with the upcoming presentation. Since the original was written I upgraded
beamer to the current 3.07. I see that the definitions of various themes
have changed. Regardless, in the preamble I specify \usecolortheme{crane},
but the slides do not have the title or block headings colored, only the
section titles.

  If someone can point me to what I need to change, I'd appreciate it.
Here's the current preamble:

\date{}
\usetheme{JuanLesPins}
\useinnertheme{circles}
\useoutertheme{smoothtree}
\usecolortheme{crane}
\setbeamercovered{transparent}
%\hypersetup{bookmarksopen=false,pdfpagemode=FullScreen}
\usepackage{graphicx,relsize}



Rich,

I don't think the problem is in the preamble -- I pasted your preamble 
into a virgin LyX doc (beamer), added some miscellaneous content and 
viewed it using pdflatex, and it looked right to me.  My setup is LyX 
1.6.1, Beamer 3.07, MiKTeX 2.7 on Win XP.  I tried to attach a small (?) 
sample PDF but qmail had a different opinion of what constitutes 
small.  I'll send it via direct e-mail.



/Paul



Re: 2 or more Figures/examples with convenient numbering

2009-04-28 Thread Piero Faustini
James C. Sutherland james.sutherl...@... writes:

 You can use subfigures (available in 1.6).  See section 1.2 in the  
 Embedded Objects help manual.  This will give you exactly what you  
 want, I think.

Yes, I already knew it existed, and only now I realize it does the same and is 
even more elegant than the example I posted.
 Thanks
Piero







Re: Beamer color adventure

2009-04-28 Thread Rich Shepard

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Paul A. Rubin wrote:


If my PDF is colored in places yours wouldn't be, that suggests the
problem is either somewhere in the presentation other than the preamble or
else something in your setup. You can detect the latter by trying to view
my LyX file at your end.


Paul,

  Ah, so. It turns out that I don't see the title and section headers
colored when I view the developing presenation with xdvik, but I do when I
export and compile it!

  I still have a problem with graphics formats, despite having ps2pdf
designated for eps-pdf conversions. If I try to view/export the document
via pdflatex it borks with the error message that it doesn't grok graphics
files with the .eps extension. If I export as plain latex, run latex a
couple of times on the .tex file, then dvips followed by ps2pdf, then I get
the colored areas.

  Still get the Error: Bad bounding box in Type 3 glyph from somewhere as
I page through the pdf file.

Thanks very much,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.   |  IntegrityCredibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.|Innovation
http://www.appl-ecosys.com Voice: 503-667-4517  Fax: 503-667-8863


Re: text styles

2009-04-28 Thread rgheck

Drew Kime wrote:

2009/4/28 Steve Litt sl...@troubleshooters.com

  

Lyx has an option to specify a typewriter face. Simply highlight the
  

text,


click on Edit-Text Style-Customized, and under Family select
Typewriter. Then check what it does to the code, and do a global replace
  

to


get all occurrences.
  

You can do that, but in my opinion it's a bad idea because the text should
be
Typewriter for some specific reason. There could be several parts that are
Typewriter faced for different reasons, and once you say typewriter face,
you've put them all in one bucket. If you use character styles instead,
then
if later you decide a certain category should also be boldface, you can do
that.


In principle I agree with you. But I've found designing my own type styles
somewhat less than user friendly. I'm sure it's one of those things that,
once learned, seems second nature. But the learning curve is pretty steep.

  

Try using the pre-defined Code style. You can get used to that very fast.

rh



Re: Beamer color theme question

2009-04-28 Thread Rich Shepard

  Update and next plea for help.

  Thanks to Paul's sending me a text document as a .pdf file I discovered
the problem was how I was compiling/viewing the developing presentation. So,
now I converted the few .eps files to .pdf and viewing the presentation via
pdflatex. Within xpdf the colors are displaying properly ... but I still
have one unresolved issue.

  On the initial slide with the title and presenter information, I have
these two pieces of LaTeX:

\pgfdeclareimage[height=0.5cm]{institution-logo}{/home/rshepard/data/wpdocs/workshop-presentations/aust-may-2009/aesi-logo.pdf}

\logo{\pgfuseimage{institution-logo}}

  But, it's not displaying. Doesn't matter if I specify the logo as .eps or
.pdf, the result of running pdflatex and viewing the result in xpdf is a box
with institution-logo across it. I think this is because when I view
either format, it's in the lower left corner of a letter-size page. I assume
that what I'm seeing on the slides is the white space above the logo. I
don't know of a tool I have that will let me crop an .eps file. The Gimp
will do the job if I convert it to a raster format, but I suspect I lose a
lot of quality in converting both directions.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.   |  IntegrityCredibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.|Innovation
http://www.appl-ecosys.com Voice: 503-667-4517  Fax: 503-667-8863


  1   2   >