[Nssbackup-team] [Bug 653749] Re: sbackup is not able to mount remote directory via SSH (testing works fine)

2013-09-20 Thread Anton
(I don't see any .deb downloads for earlier versions...?)

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Simple
Backup Maintainers, which is subscribed to sbackup.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/653749

Title:
  sbackup is not able to mount remote directory via SSH (testing works
  fine)

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/sbackup/+bug/653749/+subscriptions

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


[Nssbackup-team] [Bug 653749] Re: sbackup is not able to mount remote directory via SSH (testing works fine)

2013-09-20 Thread Anton
After some further testing, I now see the problem is different. Backups *do* 
work, for both versions. 
But from the config or restore window, acces to the remote machine *does not* 
work. It did use to work at least in 0.11.4 about a month or two ago (last 
used).
I've seen some bug reports (not sbackup) related to gvfsd not 
working/connecting for the root user that give the same symptoms ('volume 
doesn't implement mount')...

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Simple
Backup Maintainers, which is subscribed to sbackup.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/653749

Title:
  sbackup is not able to mount remote directory via SSH (testing works
  fine)

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/sbackup/+bug/653749/+subscriptions

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #143229]: Mount tape drive error

2013-09-20 Thread Anton
Question #143229 on sbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/143229

Anton posted a new comment:
Jean-Peer, tar writing to tape is indeed trivial, in stead of
tar zcvf /var/local/backup/today/files.tgz
you would do
tar zcvf /dev/rmt/0n

This needs one or two changes to sbackup's behaviour, depending in what 
behaviour and features you want. 
One option would be to let sbackup create all the other 'housekeeping' files in 
the backup directory on disk, and only redirect the archive to tape; that would 
allow one to find backups and browse files without reading from tape (I think; 
if not that would be a nice feature to add at some point). A config option to 
set the backup device name would be needed, which should be passed to sbackup's 
routines that start the 'tar' command.
The other would be to set the existing backup dir config option to the device 
name, test whether it is directory or device when a backup is about to be 
started and then if it is a device forget about all the 'housekeeping' files 
and write only the archive directly to the device.

( If you want to get fancy, you'd like to include support for tape
robots as well ;-) )

As for DVD, why would anyone want them as backup medium? imho, they are
too small, too expensive, too slow and not quite as reliable as one
might think (I get about 10% failure when I burn a batch of DVDs!).

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for sbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #234488]: lauching a task before backup

2013-09-18 Thread Anton
Question #234488 on sbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/234488

Anton requested more information:
That's nice to know!

Does sbackup read the exit status of the pre-backup script, so the script could 
allow or block starting of the backup?
Likewise, it would be good if the post-backup script could read/know the exit 
status of sbackup.

(Ubuntu LTS - 12.04 - is providing sbackup 0.11.4)

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for sbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #234488]: lauching a task before backup

2013-08-26 Thread Anton
Question #234488 on sbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/234488

Anton posted a new comment:
/usr/share/sbackup/retry_backup:

#!/bin/bash
#
# retry running Sbackup if previous attempt failed
# used by pm to run at thaw/resume

# find config file and read some variables
my_dir=`dirname $0`
if [ -x $my_dir/get_conf ]; then
. $my_dir/get_conf
else # get from default location
. /usr/share/sbackup/get_conf
fi

# find backup schedule and check with latest succesful backup:
if [ -x /usr/share/sbackup/check_backup_schedule ]; then
/usr/share/sbackup/check_backup_schedule
if (( $? != 1 )); then
# no backup needed
exit 0
fi
fi

# check ping to backup host
# strip username, if needed:
buhost=`echo $buhost | sed 's/^.*@//'`
echo Checking ping average round-trip time (rtt) to $buhost
# get average ping time in micro seconds (so it can be integer, not real):
ping=`ping -c 10 $buhost | tail -1 | awk -F= '{print $2}' | awk -F/ '{print 
$2*1000}'`
ping_max=1000
if [ $ping -gt $ping_max ]; then 
echo Rtt is too slow ($ping; max $ping_max), not making backup now!
exit 0
fi

for sbackup in /usr/share/sbackup/sbackup-launch /usr/bin/sbackup 
/usr/sbin/sbackupd; do
if [ -x $sbackup ]; then
echo Launching $sbackup
$sbackup
exit 0
fi
done

#last line

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for sbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #234488]: lauching a task before backup

2013-08-26 Thread Anton
Question #234488 on sbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/234488

Anton posted a new comment:
p.s., the scripts work for me. They should work for you, too, but I
cannot guarantee that. Please just ask if you run into problems.

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for sbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


[Nssbackup-team] [Bug 1179080] Re: sBackup unable to be configured for external media destination

2013-06-24 Thread Anton
Hi Jean-Peer,

I'll be installing 13.04 in a couple of weeks (will be spending 6 hours
in the train to Berlin - perfect time), and will be happy to test
things then and there. (At the same time, I may start looking into
Mint.)

Groetjes,
Anton.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Simple
Backup Maintainers, which is subscribed to sbackup.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1179080

Title:
  sBackup unable to be configured for external media destination

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/sbackup/+bug/1179080/+subscriptions

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #228859]: does not run on configured time

2013-05-28 Thread Anton
Question #228859 on sbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/228859

Anton posted a new comment:
OK, thank you. So it appears sbackup fails to write the custom schedule
into /etc/crontab. Could anyone confirm this behaviour?

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for sbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #228859]: does not run on configured time

2013-05-21 Thread Anton
Question #228859 on sbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/228859

Status: Open = Needs information

Anton requested more information:
Hi Muhammed,

Are you running sbackup as user or as root? Did you check if you are
using the right sbackup profile?

Could you please post the relevant line from your crontab, use 'crontab
-l' for your user crontab, or /etc/crontab for root?

Best,
Anton.

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for sbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


[Nssbackup-team] [Bug 1179080] Re: sBackup unable to be configured for external media destination

2013-05-21 Thread Anton
Dear Roger,

Are you using sbackup as root (super-user) or as (regular) user?
Are there any special (non alphabetical) characters in your directory name(s)?
Could you check if you can set the desired local backup target using the 
configuration file (/etc/sbackup.conf for root, or 
~/.config/sbackup/sbackup.conf for user)? Look for a line that says 'target = ' 
and add the target directory after the equal sign (I believe a space between 
equal sign and directory name is required).

Best,
Anton.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Simple
Backup Maintainers, which is subscribed to sbackup.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1179080

Title:
  sBackup unable to be configured for external media destination

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/sbackup/+bug/1179080/+subscriptions

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #219980]: File structure of the backup

2013-01-24 Thread Anton
Question #219980 on sbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/219980

Anton posted a new comment:
The incremental backup indeed just copies new files, those modified after the 
last backup.
About the other files, I don't know. Jean-Peer Lorenz is the current main 
developer so he should be able to explain what these are.

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for sbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #216144]: unexpected large increase in size of backup

2013-01-14 Thread Anton
Question #216144 on sbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/216144

Status: Open = Needs information

Anton requested more information:
Which directory do you mean with 'root directory'?

You should check the target directory defined in /etc/sbackup.conf for
root and ~/.config/sbackup/sbackup.conf for user.

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for sbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #216144]: unexpected large increase in size of backup

2013-01-04 Thread Anton
Question #216144 on sbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/216144

Status: Open = Needs information

Anton requested more information:
I should clarify my question. There are, as you mentioned, two instances
of Simple Backup Config and Simple Backup Restore in the dash. One of
them runs as you (user), the other as super user (a.k.a. root). You
cannot tell the difference, except that when you start the super user
one, you'll be asked for your password ('to perform administrative
tasks' -- unless you just also did something else as super user, because
the credentials linger around for some time like 5 minutes or so).

So, my question was about which instance (root or user) you ran,
possibly different ones each time. This has no relevance to which
directories are backed up, that is dictated by the configuration (which
is also different for root or user).

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for sbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #216105]: My back up files on a windows partition have been erased when I partitioned my linux partition and re-installed ubuntu

2013-01-03 Thread Anton
Question #216105 on sbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/216105

Anton posted a new comment:
Just one additional note, as general 'good practice' regarding backups.

A backup is intended as a *fallback* option in case your primary data
gets lost. In the situation you describe, as soon as you erase all
(primary) data your backup becomes your only copy of the data, and you
therefore have no backup! So, whenever you are planning something like
this, make sure you have *two* *independent* copies/backups of your
primary data before you erase the primary data!

(To be sure, I also found this out the hard way, a long time ago, when a
backup failed to restore and it was the only copy of my boss's data at
that moment.)

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for sbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


[Nssbackup-team] [Bug 1087872] Re: Backup to Remote PC Freezes

2013-01-02 Thread Anton
OK, thanks. Marking bug as invalid.

For future reference, I think it is a bad idea to have two different
schedules and/or users back up to the same backup location, and it
actually seems to be not supported. It would be nice if this was
signalled and reported back to the user in a more transparent way.

Off-topic, gnome-schedule is a graphical front end for user cron jobs.
Likely, that cron job still persists, verify with 'cron -l', and check
further actions with 'man cron' ;-)

** Changed in: sbackup
   Status: New = Invalid

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Simple
Backup Maintainers, which is subscribed to sbackup.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1087872

Title:
  Backup to Remote PC Freezes

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/sbackup/+bug/1087872/+subscriptions

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #216144]: unexpected large increase in size of backup

2012-12-13 Thread Anton
Question #216144 on sbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/216144

Status: Open = Answered

Anton proposed the following answer:
Yes, two copies do exist. One is user and the other root. This should be
indicated but isn't so they appear identical. I posted a patch to fix
this some time ago (I think it should be somewhere on lp).

Thinking about that, possibly you did your first backup as user and the
second as root by accident?

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for sbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #216105]: My back up files on a windows partition have been erased when I partitioned my linux partition and re-installed ubuntu

2012-12-12 Thread Anton
Question #216105 on sbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/216105

Status: Open = Answered

Anton proposed the following answer:
It sounds like you are out of luck, certainly because you say you did
see the backup files previously. But offhand I can't think of a likely
mechanism that would have erased your data (unless you have a
particularly bad setting for the backup cleaning in sbackup).

But it's difficult to diagnose your situation without being actually at
the machine. Any chance that you could have a local guru have a look at
it?

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for sbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #213138]: File access manager not initalized

2012-11-27 Thread Anton
Question #213138 on sbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/213138

Status: Open = Answered

Anton proposed the following answer:
Put the output to a logfile in stead of /dev/null, like:

10 0 * * * /usr/bin/sbackup  /tmp/sbackup.log

Does this give any clue to the source of the problem?

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for sbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #215376]: Restore operation takes too much time to finish

2012-11-27 Thread Anton
Question #215376 on sbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/215376

Status: Open = Answered

Anton proposed the following answer:
This is an inherent drawback of 'tar' which is used as the low level
archive format. There are possible solutions for this, but none of them
easy. No solution is implemented in sbackup, but if you want to
volunteer it could be.

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for sbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


[Nssbackup-team] [Bug 913827] Re: should delete old backups, then create new / not enough space on media

2012-11-14 Thread Anton
I would suggest a config option like 'remove older backups to free
space'.

That would work great as well in combination with the 'logarithmic'
cleaning, because you will only loose your oldest backup when your
backup disk is (nearly) full. You might also want to add an option to
'keep at least # full backups', which will cause sbackup to fail if
there really is no space left. This would prevent you from having only
the latest backup left in case the new backup is unexpectedly large.

Seems like this would not be much work to implement - anyone?

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Simple
Backup Maintainers, which is subscribed to sbackup.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/913827

Title:
  should delete old backups, then create new / not enough space on media

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/sbackup/+bug/913827/+subscriptions

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


[Nssbackup-team] [Bug 803345] [NEW] [whishlist] alternate snapshot browser in restore dialog

2011-06-29 Thread Anton
Public bug reported:

The calendar based snapshot browser in the restore dialog is very nice, but not 
the easiest or most logical way of browsing for some people, or for certain 
circumstances.
An alternate, simpler, browser that simply lists all available snapshots in 
chronological order sometimes is much more convenient. For example if your 
backups are once per month or two months, the calendar does not give you an 
easy overview. In addition, in the calandar view you cannot distinguish between 
full or incremental backups. So the question 'when was my last full backup' may 
involve quite a bit of clicking and browsing.
P.s., as I'm already on the developers team, I would be happy to take this on 
(time allowing). However I'd need someone give me some pointers on where to 
start.

** Affects: sbackup
 Importance: Wishlist
 Status: New

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Simple
Backup Maintainers, which is subscribed to sbackup.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/803345

Title:
  [whishlist] alternate snapshot browser in restore dialog

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/sbackup/+bug/803345/+subscriptions

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


[Nssbackup-team] [Bug 803360] [NEW] [whishlist] show size in snapshot management

2011-06-29 Thread Anton
Public bug reported:

To monitor backup sanity, as well as monitor backup storage space, it is very 
useful to know how large individual backups are.
If you see one that is (much) smaller than expected, something may have gone 
wrong.
If your backup device is filling up, you may first want to remove the larger 
old snapshots.
P.s., as I'm already on the developers team, I would be happy to take this on 
(time allowing). However I'd need someone give me some pointers on where to 
start.

** Affects: sbackup
 Importance: Wishlist
 Status: New

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Simple
Backup Maintainers, which is subscribed to sbackup.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/803360

Title:
  [whishlist] show size in snapshot management

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/sbackup/+bug/803360/+subscriptions

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


[Nssbackup-team] [Bug 775942] Re: corrupt gzip file

2011-05-03 Thread Anton
Can you check if your files are truncated at 2Gb? This happens on
filesystems that don't support files larger than 2G and currently Simple
Backup does not check for this error.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Simple
Backup Maintainers, which is subscribed to sbackup.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/775942

Title:
  corrupt gzip file

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


[Nssbackup-team] [Bug 710585] [NEW] Slow transfer over sftp connection

2011-01-31 Thread Anton
Public bug reported:

I noticed that backups were taking much longer than I expected. Using
scp to the same server, I get about 20MB/s (which is about my max HD
throughput). However, sbackup writes at about only 2MB/s, a factor of 10
(!) slower (as reported by iotop and network traffic and manual
measurement of file growth). It isn't the compression, because that only
runs at only 20% CPU. So there seems room for a 5-fold improvement here.

This is a serious issue, because a full backup now can take up to 5
hours or so (in stead of about one hour), which significantly increases
the odds that the backup does not finish before I shutdown my laptop, or
take it offline.

I have tracked the problem to what I think may be the origin; a bug in 
glib/gvfs: 
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/glib2.0/+bug/250517
In short, all writes on a gvfs volume are acknowledged, causing a 
network-latency dependent bottleneck, which may be quite severe even on 
networks with a high (intrinsic) bandwidth. In my case, it's 1G from my laptop 
all the way to the server, but with several routers in between (university 
setup).

The proper solution would be to have gvfs fixed, however according to
the bug that isn't going to be any time soon.

An alternative may be to see if a reasonable workaround fix can be
implemented for sbackup. Any ideas?

(I tried to use the 'fuse' plugin in stead of 'gvfs' for sbackup to see
if the issue exists with fuse as well, but fuse will not connect without
password, and does not accept my password since it has a '?' in it. Will
get back on this if I found time to try with a different password.)

** Affects: sbackup
 Importance: Undecided
 Status: New

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Simple
Backup Maintainers, which is subscribed to Simple Backup.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/710585

Title:
  Slow transfer over sftp connection

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #142832]: scheduler tab ghosted

2011-01-26 Thread Anton
Question #142832 on Simple Backup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/142832

Status: Open = Answered

Anton proposed the following answer:
Unfortunately, when running sbackup configuration as user, you cannot setup 
scheduling.
You can, however, set it up manually. I use gnome Schedule for that (but you 
could also use plain crontab if you are comfortable with that). Just set the 
command to /usr/bin/sbackup, and the schedule to whatever you prefer (hourly, 
daily, weekly, or whatever).

Please refer to FAQ #1324 for setting up ssh access as root. (However,
there appear to be some issues for some users with this.)

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for Simple Backup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


[Nssbackup-team] [Question #142032]: Easy(er) access to Simple Backup config and restore

2011-01-19 Thread Anton
New question #142032 on Simple Backup:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/142032

I have some suggestions that I think would further improve usability of Simple 
Backup. Since they're not bugs, I file them as questions here. Please inform me 
if I should split these into separate questions and/or bugs.

From the status icon, I think it would be really great to have a menu entry 
that opens the Simple Backup Configuration window. This could come instead of 
the 'About Simple Backup' window that now pops up. (By the way, the menu entry 
'Simple Backup' is confusing; if it opens the 'About', it should say so.)

From the Config and the Restore windows it would be great to have a button 
that takes you to the other one. So, the Config window would have a button 
'Restore', for example next to the 'Profile Manager' button in the taskbar. 
The Restore window would get a 'Config' button, for example to the left of 
'Help' button in the top-right corner.

Finally, I really like the calendar view in the Restore window. But sometimes 
it is convenient to just get a list of all backups, with some additional 
information like diskspace used (and possibly total filesize included). (Now I 
ssh into my backup server, cd to backup directory and do 'ls' or 'du' or 
whatever.) So there should be buttons to switch between 'calendar' and 'list' 
views.

I wouldn't mind spending (some) time implementing these, but would need some 
pointers and help to get started.


-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for Simple Backup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


[Nssbackup-team] [Question #142036]: What limits sbackup performance over ssh?

2011-01-19 Thread Anton
New question #142036 on Simple Backup:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/142036

I currently have a sbackup backup session running, however the throughput is 
(much) lower than I expect. 

gzip is running at only ~20% CPU usage, suggesting that there is a bottlenect 
in datatransfer somewhere. 
My local disk can do up to 40MB/s throughput, but iotop reports ~1500KB/s for 
tar. top reports no io wait, but ~75% idle.
Network monitor also reports datat about 1500KB/s. I'm writing to a remote 
server through a 1G ethernet connection, which should easily accomodate 40MB/s 
(scp indeed reports ~40MB data rate). On the remote server there is negilble 
CPU usage (~5%, of which ~2% by sshd). If I use plain cp to the .gvfs directory 
that connects to the backup server, it transfers about 25MB in about 10 
seconds, roughly consistent with the ~1.5MB/s iotop reports for sbackup.

Any ideas on why sbackup is so much slower than my hardware and network could 
support? Is it likely that gvfs is somehow at fault, and if so is it worthwile 
(cost vs. gain) to fix this?



-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for Simple Backup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


[Nssbackup-team] [Bug 701403] Re: Error File access manager not initialized when running as root

2011-01-13 Thread Anton
Yes, I've gone through the steps of that FAQ. I have certificates
(pub/private key-pairs) set up, and can 'sudo ssh feenstra@backuphost'
without password. E.g.,

$ sudo ssh feenstra@backuphost uptime
 09:44:05 up 150 days,  2:56,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Simple
Backup Maintainers, which is subscribed to Simple Backup.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/701403

Title:
  Error File access manager not initialized when running as root

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


[Nssbackup-team] [Bug 701403] Re: Error File access manager not initialized when running as root

2011-01-12 Thread Anton
No, as I said, I can 'sudo ssh username@hostname' to my backup host
without password.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Simple
Backup Maintainers, which is subscribed to Simple Backup.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/701403

Title:
  Error File access manager not initialized when running as root

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


[Nssbackup-team] [Bug 701403] [NEW] Error File access manager not initialized when running as root

2011-01-11 Thread Anton
Public bug reported:

Recently in sbackup (I believe since the re-merge with nssbackup), I
cannot backup as root. Backups as user still work (and I can open the
backup location in nautilus as user). Nothing has changed on the remote
machine (backup over ssh). I can 'sudo ssh u...@host' without password.
Also all required gvfs packages are present (as per bug #617473).

When I press 'Connect' in the 'Set remote target' dialog, I get the error 
'Unable to mount host. Login dialogue cancelled'.
When I press 'Make backup now', I get the error 'An error occurred. File access 
manager not initialized'. No backup is made.

The relevant part of the sbackup log seems to be:
2011-01-11 10:27:54,450 - INFO: Initializing GIO File Access Manager.
2011-01-11 10:27:54,504 - ERROR: Error in `_do_mount`: Login dialog cancelled 
[ERROR_PERMISSION_DENIED - Permission denied.]
2011-01-11 10:27:54,543 - ERROR: Uncaught exception: Unable to mount: Login 
dialog cancelled
2011-01-11 10:27:54,543 - ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File /usr/share/sbackup/sbackup/fs_backend/_gio_utils.py, line 362, in 
_mount_done_cb
self.__mount_finish_callback(error)
  File /usr/share/sbackup/sbackup/fs_backend/_gio_fam.py, line 157, in 
_mount_cb
raise exceptions.FileAccessException(Unable to mount: %s % error)
FileAccessException: Unable to mount: Login dialog cancelled

(full log attached)

I'm running on Ubuntu Maverick (10.10) 2.6.35-24-generic x86_64
sbackup0.11.3ubuntu1
gvfs* 1.6.4-0ubuntu1

** Affects: sbackup
 Importance: Undecided
 Status: New

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Simple
Backup Maintainers, which is subscribed to Simple Backup.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/701403

Title:
  Error File access manager not initialized when running as root

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Bug 294019] Re: (whishlist) Purging to free certain space

2011-01-03 Thread Anton
On 03/01/11 15:18, Jean-Peer Lorenz wrote:
 This option is included in version 0.10.5
 I don't think that the general option to purge (as currently included in 
 sbackup) meets the described feature request. Therefore, I reopen this bug. 
 Remarks and patches are welcome.

Ideally, to free up necessary diskspace in combination with logarithmic 
purge, it would be good if the purge could be incrementally 'thinned'.
The default is:
* keep all from yesterday
* keep one per day from last week
* keep one per week from last month
* keep one per month from last year
* keep one per quarter from 2nd last year
* keep one per year further into past

(Especially the last one, while growing slowly, will keep growing
forever!)

But, when tight on diskspace, one could 'thin' this to something like:
* keep last one from yesterday
* keep one per two days from last week
* keep one per two weeks from last two months
* keep one per two months from last year
* keep one per half year from 2nd last year
* keep one per 2^n years for the nth year into past (true logarithmic!)

Alternate to steering on free space, one might want to set a limit on 
total diskspace allocated to backups. This might even work when disk 
free cannot be determined (as with ftp).


Anton.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Simple
Backup Maintainers, which is subscribed to Simple Backup.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/294019

Title:
  Purge to specified free disk space or backup size

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Bug 694721] Re: Too many pop up dialogs

2011-01-01 Thread Anton Feenstra

On 29/12/10 19:40, Jean-Peer Lorenz wrote:

Opinions on this issue are welcome. I see one problem: silent mode vs.
unintenional missed backups. Personally, I prefer only use indicator
applet/ notification system to notify about missing locations as expert
option.


With the gnome notification system (don't know the specific terminology 
here, but whatever comes with Ubuntu by default), you have the option to 
click a 'don't show this message again' button. That would keep the 
sbackup interface from getting cluttered with options, and shift the 
decision to when you know what you're choosing.



--
Groetjes,

Anton
 _ ___
| |   |
|  _   _  ___,| K. Anton Feenstra |
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Free University  Amsterdam |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083A - 1081 HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P136 |
| | feens...@few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/ |
| | (That makes 100 errors; please try again.) (TeX)|
|_|___|

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #129095]: Running backup from the command line

2010-10-13 Thread Anton
Question #129095 on Simple Backup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/129095

Anton proposed the following answer:
On 12/10/10 19:53, PeterK2003 wrote:
 New question #129095 on Simple Backup:
 https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/129095

 i used to have a cron job setup to run sbackup on servers every night:

 if [ -x /usr/sbin/sbackupd ]; then /usr/sbin/sbackupd; fi;

 After upgrading to Ubuntu 10.10 this no longer seems to workHelp?

It's now called /usr/sbin/sbackup


Anton

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for Simple Backup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #129095]: Running backup from the command line

2010-10-13 Thread Anton Feenstra

On 13/10/10 09:45, Anton wrote:

Question #129095 on Simple Backup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/129095

Anton proposed the following answer:
On 12/10/10 19:53, PeterK2003 wrote:

New question #129095 on Simple Backup:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/129095

i used to have a cron job setup to run sbackup on servers every night:

if [ -x /usr/sbin/sbackupd ]; then /usr/sbin/sbackupd; fi;

After upgrading to Ubuntu 10.10 this no longer seems to workHelp?


It's now called /usr/sbin/sbackup


Sorry, that should have been /usr/bin/sbackup


Anton

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #129095]: Running backup from the command line

2010-10-13 Thread Anton
Question #129095 on Simple Backup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/129095

Anton proposed the following answer:
On 13/10/10 09:45, Anton wrote:
 Question #129095 on Simple Backup changed:
 https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/129095

 Anton proposed the following answer:
 On 12/10/10 19:53, PeterK2003 wrote:
 New question #129095 on Simple Backup:
 https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/129095

 i used to have a cron job setup to run sbackup on servers every night:

 if [ -x /usr/sbin/sbackupd ]; then /usr/sbin/sbackupd; fi;

 After upgrading to Ubuntu 10.10 this no longer seems to workHelp?

 It's now called /usr/sbin/sbackup

Sorry, that should have been /usr/bin/sbackup


Anton

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for Simple Backup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Bug 622496] Re: problem occurs if nssbackup is run with the destination drive not present. It looses the config info.

2010-10-07 Thread Anton
Hi,


May I add something, that I stumbled on the other day. I do some of my 
backups on an external disk at home. But I might at some point want to 
review (and tweak) my settings while away from that disk (say, in a 
spare 10 minutes in the train or so). Currently this is not possible, 
since SBackup will complain about the missing backup destination, and 
re-insert the default. Worse, if I didn't read the message carefully 
enough (or not at all), and Save the configuration, I've messed up my 
settings.

I think the message should give the user the option to keep the current 
(correct) setting, or to change it (choose a new location), or set it to 
default.

P.S., the same goes for my other backup setting, where the destination 
is a server at the university that I can only reach from inside 
(firewall protection).

This opens the problem that Jean-Peer raised, to make sure the backup 
location is always a valid one when it is saved. Would it be good enough 
to display a warning for a saving a destination location that cannot be 
(currently) validated?

Alternatively, this may be a separate configuration option, something 
like allow un-tested destination location to be saved?.


Groetjes,

Anton.

-- 
problem occurs if nssbackup is run with the destination drive not present. It 
looses the config info.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/622496
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Simple
Backup Maintainers, which is subscribed to nssbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #122507]: re-merged ?

2010-08-24 Thread Anton
Question #122507 on nssbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+question/122507

Status: Open = Answered

Anton proposed the following answer:
On 24/08/10 11:53, paolocollector wrote:
 New question #122507 on nssbackup:
 https://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+question/122507

 I read:
  Please use the latest version of Simple Backup (SBackup)

 I am not sure: does this mean that i should stop using nssbackup 0.3 and move 
 to sbackup 0.11 ?

 Or is it only a note for sbackup users to remind to move to the next version?

nssbackup and SBackup are finally re-merged. SBackup 0.11.x is identical 
with nssbackup 0.3.x. Development will take place in SBackup (to stop 
confusion) from now. So, you're invited to use SBackup from now on.


-- 
Groetjes,

Anton

You received this question notification because you are a member of
Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for nssbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Bug 622512] [NEW] Cannot backup to smb location

2010-08-23 Thread Anton
On 23/08/10 03:52, Gotit wrote:
 Public bug reported:

 Cannot use an smb location for backup destination as stated on the NSsbackup 
 homepage:
 Some will do the backup on your hard drive while others will do on a remote 
 location ( on a SSH, FTP, SMB server ... ) .
 NSsbackup is one of those software.

 I specified an smb location (smb://homenet/usb_storage/) but when I press the 
 Test button I get a pop-up that states:
   No plugin could deal with that schema 'smb://homenet/usb_storage/'

 Running:
 NSsbackup v0.2.1
 Ubuntu 9.04

This has been fixed on NSsbackup 0.3 or Sbackup 0.11 (they're identical 
now).


-- 
Groetjes,

Anton

-- 
Cannot backup to smb location
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/622512
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Simple
Backup Maintainers, which is subscribed to nssbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Fwd: Re: Logarithmic purge disabled]

2010-08-23 Thread Anton Feenstra

On 23/08/10 10:55, Jean-Peer Lorenz wrote:

 Weitergeleitete Nachricht 
Von: Jean-Peer Lorenzpeer@gmx.net
An: Anton Feenstrafeens...@few.vu.nl
Betreff: Re: Logarithmic purge disabled
Datum: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 10:54:16 +0200

Good morning Anton,

Thank you for looking into SBackup and your bug tracking. Another
maintainer able to fix minor flaws would be great. Software maintenance
is really time consuming.


You're welcome!


I'm sorry to tell you, that I've already fixed the purge issue. I'll
prepare an updated release within the next days. I've re-implemented it
similar to the simple purge: only freestanding snapshots are removed and
the removal process is repeated until no freestanding snapshot or at
least 1 snapshot remain (within a certain period).


Great to have this fixed, as this was keeping me back from using nssbackup.

Basically, this is now again the old sbackup behaviour, is that right?


The more I think about rebasing of snapshots, the more I dislike the
whole idea. It is always dangerous to modify backuped data, even more if
it stored in 'foreign' formats (here tar). Moreover, the current
implementation of writing TAR snapshot files (snar files) contains
errors and updating tarballs in only possible for uncompressed tars. So,
I consider to cut rebasing completely. But that's another story...


Yes, that was also my feeling when this rebasing was discussed on the 
nssbackup-team.




--
Groetjes,

Anton
 _ ___
| |   |
|  _   _  ___,| K. Anton Feenstra |
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Free University  Amsterdam |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083A - 1081 HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P136 |
| | feens...@few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/ |
| | Interfacing Space and Beyond... (P. J. Harvey)  |
|_|___|

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Bug 601579] Re: [Feature request] Separate backup frequency from crontab frequency

2010-08-12 Thread Anton
On 12/08/10 01:19, Jean-Peer Lorenz wrote:
 There are some points I want to discuss:

 a possible solution would be the implementation of a system daemon that
 runs permanentely/regularly (e.g. every 15 min) in the background and
 checks for outstanding backups. Is this desired? What period of time is
 sufficient for checking for backup jobs?

 Ideas and suggestions are welcome.

I think this may depend strongly on the use case. I'll describe my 
sitiation to get this started:

I want daily backups for my laptop, which go to a server and thus depend 
on network connectivity. I hacked a script that runs hourly through 
cron, and if no valid backup exists for 'today' it initiates a new backup.

It's made for sbackup (sorry), and relies on the presence of logfiles 
(that I hacked into sbackup) to check for succesful completion of a 
backup. It actually checks for an error line ('^E: ' regexp match) in 
the logfile, so in case a backup was still running (and no error was 
reported) no (new) backup is started. I can make it available to you as 
template for further development if you like.

This works for me, because I'm usually online for hours on end in the 
daytime (at work).

What you probably do not want (and in my case due to firewall 
restrictions happens to be technically impossible), is that a backup 
starts when you're online on a mobile wireless network. In that case 
either the network bandwith would be too limited, and/or you don't want 
to pay to send your 10's or 100's of Mbs backup data over a costly 
wireless connection. ;-)


-- 
Groetjes,

Anton
  _ ___
| |   |
|  _   _  ___,| K. Anton Feenstra |
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Free University  Amsterdam |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083A - 1081 HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P136 |
| | feens...@few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/ |
| | Got Coffee, Got Donuts, Got Wasted (F. Black)   |
|_|___|

-- 
[Feature request] Separate backup frequency from crontab frequency
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/601579
You received this bug notification because you are a member of NSsbackup
team, which is subscribed to NSsbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Bug 185167] Re: It lacks a special Notebook feature

2010-08-12 Thread Anton
I've implemented this for my wife as an autorun script on the external 
disk, which starts the backup. This works in Ubuntu (I don't know about 
other distro's). The only drawbacks are that it pops up a window asking 
the user if she want to execute this removable medium, and that you'll 
be depending on a proper setup in the configuration file, that will not 
be on the external disk. I do this with sbackup, but I'm sure it will 
work with nssbackup as the only feature you need is a command to start 
the backup.

It wouldn't be difficult for [ns]sbackup to have an option in the gui to 
install itself onto a particular external disk.

You could get some level of authorization by setting a custom backup 
path (possibly including a hash key in its name) that points to a 
directory on the external disk, and cancel backup if it doesn't exist. 
That way, any other USB drive with the same autorun script, would not 
get the backup.


-- 
Groetjes,

Anton
  _ ___
| |   |
|  _   _  ___,| K. Anton Feenstra |
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Free University  Amsterdam |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083A - 1081 HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P136 |
| | feens...@few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/ |
| | Step Aside, Butch (Pulp Fiction)|
|_|___|

-- 
[Feature request] Auto backup when plugging external disk in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/185167
You received this bug notification because you are a member of NSsbackup
team, which is subscribed to NSsbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Bug 587911] Re: Logarithmic purge missing after upgrade to 0.2

2010-08-12 Thread Anton
I've just started testing 0.3. Good news is that it works, and 
(finally!!) accepts an ssh destination without password.

Bad news is that for me logarithmic purging is an absolutely essential 
feature. I want to be able to go back to (old!) versions of files for 
some considerable period of time.

I think dropping log purging due to an implementation crash with 
(incremental) snapshot merging is not a good decision. For one thing, 
you could retain log purging for the full snapshots, as no merging would 
be required there. Then, simply, retain all incremental snapshots until 
their base full snapshot is scheduled for purging.

I'd be happy to take some of this work on me (I'm on the sbackup 
developer team, but not yet on the nssbackup team, at least according to 
launchpad). But I do need one of you to get me started, and give me some 
pointers on where to start looking and working.


(P.S., I could not bzr the nssbackup source. Is that due to launchpad 
being in read-only?)


-- 
Groetjes,

Anton
  _ ___
| |   |
|  _   _  ___,| K. Anton Feenstra |
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Free University  Amsterdam |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083A - 1081 HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P136 |
| | feens...@few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/ |
| | Got Coffee, Got Donuts, Got Wasted (F. Black)   |
|_|___|

-- 
Logarithmic purge disabled in final release 0.2
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/587911
You received this bug notification because you are a member of NSsbackup
team, which is subscribed to NSsbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #96168]: No plugin could deal with the schema ssh...

2010-08-12 Thread Anton
Question #96168 on NSsbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+question/96168

Anton posted a new comment:
This question is marked as solved, but what the solution is does not
become apparent from the discussion above.

I've just tested nssbackup 3.0. The remote location interface has been
improved (nice dialogue box to set hostname, directory, username etc). I
can enter a remote location without password, and successfully create a
backup (of course, you need some other authentication, ssh keys in my
case).

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
NSsbackup team, which is an answer contact for NSsbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


[Nssbackup-team] [Bug 587911] Re: Logarithmic purge disabled in final release 0.2

2010-08-12 Thread Anton
Jean-Peer (whoops, almost wrote 'Pear' there...), after you've explained
me where  how to start, could you assign this bug to me?

-- 
Logarithmic purge disabled in final release 0.2
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/587911
You received this bug notification because you are a member of NSsbackup
team, which is subscribed to NSsbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #116342]: tar takes a long time, 100% CPU, with no output

2010-07-02 Thread Anton Feenstra

On 01/07/10 12:49, B.J. Herbison wrote:

Question #116342 on NSsbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+question/116342

B.J. Herbison gave more information on the question:
Additional information: The target device is a mounted network drive,
but it is available with over 1TB free. The backup created nine files in
the target directory so it is writable.  Nothing looks unusual in the
log file, the last line talks about invoking tar.


To answer your previous questions, yes in most systems you should expect 
the filesize to grow as tar produces its output. In some cases, however 
the filesize may not be updated, e.g. over nfs on some systems. Do you 
have direct access to the server on which your network drive resides? 
There, certainly, filesize must be up to date and thus should be growing.


Other ways to monitor tar is by 'top'; you should normally see 
alternating activity of tar (collecting and reading files) and gzip 
(compressing tar's output on the fly). In addition, your network monitor 
should register outgoing data. Finally, using 'iotop', you should be 
able to monitor disk io of the tar process reading files.


Collecting this information should give more clues about where the error 
originates. Could you report back to us with that?



--
Groetjes,

Anton
 _ ___
| |   |
|  _   _  ___,| K. Anton Feenstra |
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Free University  Amsterdam |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083A - 1081 HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P136 |
| | feens...@few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/ |
| | Just a Minute While I Reinvent Myself (Red Hot  |
| | Chili Peppers)|
|_|___|

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #116342]: tar takes a long time, 100% CPU, with no output

2010-07-02 Thread Anton
Question #116342 on NSsbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+question/116342

Status: Open = Answered

Anton proposed the following answer:
On 01/07/10 12:49, B.J. Herbison wrote:
 Question #116342 on NSsbackup changed:
 https://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+question/116342

 B.J. Herbison gave more information on the question:
 Additional information: The target device is a mounted network drive,
 but it is available with over 1TB free. The backup created nine files in
 the target directory so it is writable.  Nothing looks unusual in the
 log file, the last line talks about invoking tar.

To answer your previous questions, yes in most systems you should expect 
the filesize to grow as tar produces its output. In some cases, however 
the filesize may not be updated, e.g. over nfs on some systems. Do you 
have direct access to the server on which your network drive resides? 
There, certainly, filesize must be up to date and thus should be growing.

Other ways to monitor tar is by 'top'; you should normally see 
alternating activity of tar (collecting and reading files) and gzip 
(compressing tar's output on the fly). In addition, your network monitor 
should register outgoing data. Finally, using 'iotop', you should be 
able to monitor disk io of the tar process reading files.

Collecting this information should give more clues about where the error 
originates. Could you report back to us with that?


-- 
Groetjes,

Anton
  _ ___
| |   |
|  _   _  ___,| K. Anton Feenstra |
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Free University  Amsterdam |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083A - 1081 HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P136 |
| | feens...@few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/ |
| | Just a Minute While I Reinvent Myself (Red Hot  |
| | Chili Peppers)|
|_|___|

You received this question notification because you are a member of
NSsbackup team, which is an answer contact for NSsbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Bug 576460] Re: nssbackup crashes with: IOError: Given copy source '/tmp/nssbackup/files.snar' does not exist.

2010-05-17 Thread Anton
Martin Schaaf wrote:
 The backup destination is a ftp server. The expected full backup size is
 between 50 and 80 GB. It tries to make a full backup and don't end. I
 never come to the point where incremental backups are made. I use the
 latest version from the PPA.

Not sure if this helps, but I've had the experience writing large files 
to an ftp sever (DVD image in that case), where the write performance 
seemed to decrease very slowly, but exponentially (!). Could this be the 
case for you?

Can you check progress of your seemingly non-ending backup by monitoring 
the file size of the tgz file on the ftp server, to confirm that it is 
getting progressively slower?


-- 
Groetjes,

Anton
  _ ___
| |   |
|  _   _  ___,| K. Anton Feenstra |
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Free University  Amsterdam |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083A - 1081 HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P136 |
| | feens...@few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/ |
| | Pump Up the Volume Along With the Tempo (Jazzy Jeff)|
|_|___|

-- 
nssbackup crashes with: IOError: Given copy source '/tmp/nssbackup/files.snar' 
does not exist.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/576460
You received this bug notification because you are a member of NSsbackup
team, which is subscribed to NSsbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Bug 512007] Re: Backup over ssh : Permission denied

2010-01-28 Thread Anton
dik23 wrote:
 Oh - in answer to your previous question - on of the things I'd like to
 see in v0.3 is the ability to restore more than one folder at a time.
 
 Also it would be nice to be able to return to an inc backup point
 without having to start at a ful and make the way through all of the
 preceding incs.

Yes, I second that. In fact, I'd propose a restore browser that shows 
your complete filespace, and shows which backups there are for each 
file. Default restore would be the latest, from whichever set it comes.


-- 
Groetjes,

Anton
  _ ___
| |   |
|  _   _  ___,| K. Anton Feenstra |
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Free University  Amsterdam |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083A - 1081 HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P136 |
| | feens...@few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/ |
| | Your Proposal is Accepted (Men In Black)|
|_|___|

-- 
Backup over ssh : Permission denied
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/512007
You received this bug notification because you are a member of NSsbackup
team, which is subscribed to NSsbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #96168]: No plugin could deal with the schema ssh...

2010-01-26 Thread Anton
Question #96168 on NSsbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+question/96168

Anton posted a new comment:
Oumar Aziz OUATTARA wrote:
 Question #96168 on NSsbackup changed:
 https://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+question/96168
 
 Oumar Aziz OUATTARA proposed the following answer:
 Regarding your question, the problem comes from the fact that the SSH URL 
 in NSsbackup is not using the same format as in Sbackup.
 In NSsbackup, the definition of the schemas is delegated to each plugin.
 The schema for SSH is:
 ssh://user:passw...@server/my/folder/path/
 That seems very close to what I'm using in sbackup (anonimized version
 shown):

 ssh://un...@my.server.nl/home/uname/xd/backup_note-uname

 Except for the fact that I do include my verbatim password in the url,
 since that is stored in plain text in (ns)sbackup's config file. I have
 in stead set up passkeys for secure login without password (which works
 flawlessly with plain ssh/scp/sftp etc., and with sbackup).

 Is this what nsbackup cannot handle?
 
 yes, you go it right !
 Here is the Regex that NSsbackups SSH plugin uses:
 
 ^(ssh://)([^:]+?:[...@]+?)@([^/^:^...@]+?)/(.*)
 
 look at the matchScheme method here:
 http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~nssbackup-dev/nssbackup/0.2/annotate/head%3A/src/nssbackup/plugins/sshFuseFAM.py
 
 So not putting a password is not an option :-( .
 
 I don't think that is desired
 behaviour, for the reason mentioned above. I propose adding an
 additional schema (or modifying the existing one; I don't know how this
 works in detail) to accept 'ssh://u...@server/my/folder/path/'.
 (Where) Can I start fixing this?
 
 You can get the code using this page:
 https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~nssbackup-dev/nssbackup/0.2
 
 but the real problem here is not changing the Regex, but to use
 pexpect correctly. If you know another api that can allow us to use
 fuse, we might change for that one.

No, I don't know. Can't we handle this with pexpect in some way?


-- 
Groetjes,

Anton
  _ ___
| |   |
|  _   _  ___,| K. Anton Feenstra |
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Free University  Amsterdam |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083A - 1081 HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P136 |
| | feens...@few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/ |
| | We're Gonna Hit You Harder (Scoter) |
|_|___|

You received this question notification because you are a member of
NSsbackup team, which is an answer contact for NSsbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Bug 375816] Re: Remote SFTP destination doesn't work

2009-05-14 Thread Anton Feenstra

Endolith wrote:

Although this format and the test button work, I get an error when it
tries to backup:

NSsbackup [Default Profile]
An error occured: '[Errno 13]
Permission denied: '/mnt/nssbackup/ssh_usern...@hostname/media''


I'm missing something. I cannot do any ssh:// backup; it fails saying: 
No plugin could deal with that schema 
'ssh://user@host/home/user/xd/backup_note/'
Have you done anything special to get ssh connections to work? Some 
required packages?


Groetjes,

Anton.


___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #68896]: remote backups (by ssh) do not work?

2009-05-13 Thread Anton
Question #68896 on NSsbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+question/68896

Status: Expired = Open

Anton is still having a problem:
Launchpad Janitor wrote:
 Question #68896 on NSsbackup changed:
 https://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+question/68896
 
 Status: Open = Expired
 
 Launchpad Janitor expired the question:
 This question was expired because it remained in the 'Open' state
 without activity for the last 15 days.

At the risk of annoying people, I'll repeat my origional question. I'd
like to add, that the failure of making remote (ssh) backups prevents me
from using/testing nssbackup *at all*. This also removes my incentive to
work on resolving (other) issues in nssbackup. So, basically, my
question is if anyone can confirm that ssh remote backups do not work.
Then, with some pointers, I'd like to try and fix this.

Details from my previous question:

When I try to set up a remote backup using nssbackup-config-gui, it
fails with the message:

No plugin could deal with that schema 'ssh://user@host/directory/'

of course, user, host and directory were real values, I removed
them for security.
In fact, I use the exact same setting that does work in sbackup.

I'm running on a fresh copy from source (Mon 27 Apr 10:46), freshly made
and freshly installed.

I have not been able to find known issues with ssh remote backups, only
(different) ftp related problems seem to be reported.


Best wishes, and hoping for some reply from someone.


Anton.

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
NSsbackup team, which is an answer contact for NSsbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #68896]: remote backups (by ssh) do not work?

2009-05-13 Thread Anton
Question #68896 on NSsbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+question/68896

Anton gave more information on the question:
Launchpad Janitor wrote:
 Question #68896 on NSsbackup changed:
 https://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+question/68896
 
 Status: Open = Expired
 
 Launchpad Janitor expired the question:
 This question was expired because it remained in the 'Open' state
 without activity for the last 15 days.

At the risk of annoying people, I'll repeat my origional question. I'd 
like to add, that the failure of making remote (ssh) backups prevents me 
from using/testing nssbackup *at all*. This also removes my incentive to 
work on resolving (other) issues in nssbackup. So, basically, my 
question is if anyone can confirm that ssh remote backups do not work. 
Then, with some pointers, I'd like to try and fix this.

Details from my previous question:

When I try to set up a remote backup using nssbackup-config-gui, it 
fails with the message:

No plugin could deal with that schema 'ssh://user@host/directory/'

of course, user, host and directory were real values, I removed 
them for security.
In fact, I use the exact same setting that does work in sbackup.

I'm running on a fresh copy from source (Mon 27 Apr 10:46), freshly made 
and freshly installed.

I have not been able to find known issues with ssh remote backups, only 
(different) ftp related problems seem to be reported.


Best wishes, and hoping for some reply from someone.


Anton.

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
NSsbackup team, which is an answer contact for NSsbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #62814]: nssbackup cron job not created

2009-05-11 Thread Anton
Question #62814 on NSsbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+question/62814

Anton proposed the following answer:
lastico wrote:
 Question #62814 on NSsbackup changed:
 https://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+question/62814
 
 lastico requested for more information:
 thanks Anton,
 
 In fact, I understand it is a problem of path to execute nssbackup, so I
 modified the original file (/etc/cron.d/nssbackup) to obtain this. With
 this configuration i have a backup every hour :
[...]
 so the link refer to the good target but there is not any param of cron.
 Must we add : 0 * * * *root?

The simpler solution might be to create a link in the /etc/cron.hourly 
directory, like 'sudo ln -s /usr/bin/nssbackup /etc/cron.hourly'.


 ps : sorry for my low level in english but i do my best


No problem, all native speakers we can't be ;-)

Groetjes,

Anton.

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
NSsbackup team, which is an answer contact for NSsbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Question #68850]: Upgrading backups made from sbackup

2009-04-27 Thread Anton
Question #68850 on NSsbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+question/68850

Anton proposed the following answer:
Jean-Peer Lorenz wrote:
 Question #68850 on NSsbackup changed:
 https://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+question/68850
 
 Status: Open = Answered
 
 Jean-Peer Lorenz proposed the following answer:
 Hello Phil,
 
 what was the message you noted? I think it was a statement like: 'Old
 backups were found. If you want to use them please upgrade them.' Am I
 right?
 
 You can upgrade your old backups by using the Restoration GUI. There
 exists a button named 'Upgrade'.

So, perhaps that is not the logical place? Can it be shifted to the 
Backup GUI? After all, it is when changing settings for making backups, 
that one may be thinking about the backups that were already made.


-- 
Groetjes,

Anton

You received this question notification because you are a member of
NSsbackup team, which is an answer contact for NSsbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Bug 229218] Re: sbackupd.py crashed with ValueError in module()

2009-03-31 Thread Anton
MrWoo wrote:
 I got the crash after printing some pages from evince (pdf).

Could you please explain precisely what that has to do with nssbackup?


-- 
Groetjes,

Anton
  _ ___
| |   |
|  _   _  ___,| K. Anton Feenstra |
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Free University  Amsterdam |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083A - 1081 HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P136 |
| | feens...@few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/ |
| | Oh, There Goes Gravity (Eminem) |
|_|___|

-- 
sbackupd.py crashed with ValueError in module()
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/229218
You received this bug notification because you are a member of NSsbackup
team, which is subscribed to sbackup in ubuntu.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


Re: [Nssbackup-team] [Bug 345272] Re: Support for compression AND splitting

2009-03-19 Thread Anton
Anton Feenstra wrote:
 Oumar Aziz OUATTARA wrote:
 I confirm that this feature is indeed wished. The implementation is
 quite difficult using TAR. So maybe using DAR it would be possible. I
 will create a blueprint for that.
 
 This item is also on my wish-/todo-list.
 
 Oumar can you keep me in the loop, and let me know if/when/how I can 
 help you with that (blueprint, coding)?

I should have said Aziz... ;-|

-- 
Groetjes,

Anton
  _ ___
| |   |
|  _   _  ___,| K. Anton Feenstra |
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Free University  Amsterdam |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083A - 1081 HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P136 |
| | feens...@few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/ |
| | You Dirty Switch, You're On Again (The Breeders)|
|_|___|

-- 
Support for compression AND splitting
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/345272
You received this bug notification because you are a member of NSsbackup
team, which is subscribed to NSsbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


[Nssbackup-team] [Question #62529]: why conflict with sbackup?

2009-02-27 Thread Anton
New question #62529 on NSsbackup:
https://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+question/62529

Wanting for more sophistication, I want to try using nssbackup in stead of 
sbackup. (I've also joined the dev team to speed things up, since it all looks 
very promising).

However, sbackup currently seems slightly more stable and reliable. I'd 
therefore like to use sbackup, while working on nssbackup.

THis isn't possible when using the deb packages, due to nssbackup giving 
conflict with sbackup.

So, the question is, why is this listed as a conflict? Are there really things 
that are incompatible between them? I know nssbackup is intended to replace 
sbackup, but should that not be up to the users (or distro builders) to decide?

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of
NSsbackup team, which is an answer contact for NSsbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


[Nssbackup-team] [Bug 185167] Re: It lacks a special Notebook feature

2009-02-27 Thread Anton
Meanwhile, you may consider an alternative. You can put an 'autorun'
script on the USB stick that launches the backup. I've done that on my
external disk, but that one only runs the backup config, so I can push
'make backup now' (that was actually still using sbackup). Presumably,
you could likewise start the whole backup process in the background.

(One caveat comes from Gnome's security features. You will *always* have
to click 'yes' on two different notice windows to actually run the
autorun script.)

As to TimeMachine, I've started using TimeVault that does similar
things. It can write to an external disk, and IIRC it will gracefully
stop and re-start when the volume is removed and re-inserted. It's still
in beta phase (0.7.3 now), but already seems to work quite stably. It's
in the Ubuntu repo.

(by the way, there isn't anything particular to notebooks about this
feature...)

-- 
It lacks a special Notebook feature
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/185167
You received this bug notification because you are a member of NSsbackup
team, which is subscribed to NSsbackup.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


[Nssbackup-team] [Bug 271522] Re: simple-backup-config [sbackup] crashes (seg-fault)

2009-02-11 Thread Anton
OK, so I've found a terribly trivial workaround. Googling, I found this
issue also for Nautilus, when started as root. But it only appears when
there is *an empty DVD (or CD) in the drive*!! It's apparently a glib
bug.

So the workaround is easy: pop your DVD drive! Worked wonders for me
(after stealing an hour from my evening last night...).

-- 
simple-backup-config [sbackup] crashes (seg-fault)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/271522
You received this bug notification because you are a member of NSsbackup
team, which is subscribed to sbackup in ubuntu.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp


[Nssbackup-team] [Bug 271522] Re: simple-backup-config [sbackup] crashes (seg-fault)

2009-02-10 Thread Anton
I have it working fine on my father's box (custom made), and my own
laptop (Fujitsu-Siemens). Gives the segfault on my wife's laptop (Dell),
though. Both are (or should be) running up-to-date Hardy (8.04) and
2.6.24-23-generic (my father runs an older kernel - 19 iirc - because of
VirtualBox compatibility).

I tried sbackup from the Hardy channel (0.10.4) as well as the latest
from launchpad (0.10.5). Both give segfaults, with identical messages.
For completeness, here is what I get:

$ sudo simple-backup-config 
[sudo] password for corianne: 

(simple-backup-config:6622): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 
g_simple_async_result_set_from_error: assertion `error != NULL' failed
/usr/sbin/simple-backup-config:1002: Warning: g_error_free: assertion `error != 
NULL' failed
  gtk.main()

(simple-backup-config:6622): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **:
g_simple_async_result_set_from_error: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(simple-backup-config:6622): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 
(/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.16.6/gio/gfile.c:5249):IA__g_file_load_partial_contents_finish:
 runtime check failed: (g_simple_async_result_get_source_tag (simple) == 
g_file_load_contents_async)
Segmentatiefout

Any chance of a fix, or some workaround here?

Any hints for what I should compare between the three machines?

-- 
simple-backup-config [sbackup] crashes (seg-fault)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/271522
You received this bug notification because you are a member of NSsbackup
team, which is subscribed to sbackup in ubuntu.

___
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
Post to : nssbackup-team@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~nssbackup-team
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp