Re: [openssl-project] To deprecate OpenSSL_version() or not

2018-12-05 Thread Richard Levitte
In message  
on Wed, 5 Dec 2018 19:27:32 +0100, Tim Hudson  said:

> The function has been there for a long time (since then beginning) and it is 
> all about version
> related information - so both names aren't exactly clearly descriptive.
> 
> OpenSSL_version_information() would be a better name.

Considering most of the information is build data, I have a hard time
understanding how it's related to the version per se, except in a
fairly abstract manner (like Matt said, "the info related to this
version")...  Ah well.

> It would also argue that the "version" program should be renamed
> "info" as the same argument would equally apply.

Yeah, except its default response is to give the version string.

> However I do not think we should rename a function and deprecate a
> function that is very widely used.

... ok
> 
> And the function should also cover everything that the current
> "version" application covers (like seeding source etc). The ifdefs
> there are not something we should expect applications to repeat.

THAT I agree on...  but that should probably be in a different PR,
this one is already plenty as it is.

> Tim.
> 
> On Wed, 5 Dec. 2018, 5:50 pm Matt Caswell  
>  Richard and I are discussing whether OpenSSL_version() should be deprecated 
> or
>  not in favour of a new function OPENSSL_info() which does more or less the 
> same
>  thing. See:
> 
>  https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/7724#discussion_r239067887
> 
>  Richard's motivation for doing so is that he finds the old name "strongly
>  misleading". I disagree and prefer not to deprecate functions like this just
>  because we don't like the name (which eventually will lead to breakage when 
> we
>  remove the deprecated functions in some future major version (not 3.0.0))
> 
>  I'd appreciate more input on the discussion.
> 
>  Matt
>  ___
>  openssl-project mailing list
>  openssl-project@openssl.org
>  https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-project
> 
___
openssl-project mailing list
openssl-project@openssl.org
https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-project


Re: [openssl-project] To deprecate OpenSSL_version() or not

2018-12-05 Thread Tim Hudson
The function has been there for a long time (since then beginning) and it
is all about version related information - so both names aren't exactly
clearly descriptive.

OpenSSL_version_information() would be a better name.

It would also argue that the "version" program should be renamed "info" as
the same argument would equally apply.

However I do not think we should rename a function and deprecate a function
that is very widely used.

And the function should also cover everything that the current "version"
application covers (like seeding source etc). The ifdefs there are not
something we should expect applications to repeat.

Tim.

On Wed, 5 Dec. 2018, 5:50 pm Matt Caswell  Richard and I are discussing whether OpenSSL_version() should be
> deprecated or
> not in favour of a new function OPENSSL_info() which does more or less the
> same
> thing. See:
>
> https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/7724#discussion_r239067887
>
> Richard's motivation for doing so is that he finds the old name "strongly
> misleading". I disagree and prefer not to deprecate functions like this
> just
> because we don't like the name (which eventually will lead to breakage
> when we
> remove the deprecated functions in some future major version (not 3.0.0))
>
> I'd appreciate more input on the discussion.
>
> Matt
> ___
> openssl-project mailing list
> openssl-project@openssl.org
> https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-project
>
___
openssl-project mailing list
openssl-project@openssl.org
https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-project

[openssl-project] To deprecate OpenSSL_version() or not

2018-12-05 Thread Matt Caswell
Richard and I are discussing whether OpenSSL_version() should be deprecated or
not in favour of a new function OPENSSL_info() which does more or less the same
thing. See:

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/7724#discussion_r239067887

Richard's motivation for doing so is that he finds the old name "strongly
misleading". I disagree and prefer not to deprecate functions like this just
because we don't like the name (which eventually will lead to breakage when we
remove the deprecated functions in some future major version (not 3.0.0))

I'd appreciate more input on the discussion.

Matt
___
openssl-project mailing list
openssl-project@openssl.org
https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-project