[peirce-l] Modus Dolens

2012-05-16 Thread Jon Awbrey
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2012/05/10/modus-dolens/ ;} -- academia: http://independent.academia.edu/JonAwbrey my word press blog: http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/ inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/ mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey oeiswiki:

Re: [peirce-l] Peirce forum migration on 17-May-2012

2012-05-15 Thread Jon Awbrey
Bill, That reminds me, some of the information on the Gmane archive didn't get updated about the move from Texas Tech, so you might want to look at that, too. Cf. http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce Under Detailed Statistics it still gives the URL as:

Re: [peirce-l] What Peirce Preserves

2012-05-14 Thread Jon Awbrey
Re: Studies in Logic and Its Vicissitudes At: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/8116 Irving All, Between 1865 and 1870, C.S. Peirce had already begun to set out the rudiments of an information-theoretic semantics for inquiry, communication, and thought in general, along

Re: [peirce-l] Frege against the Booleans

2012-05-11 Thread Jon Awbrey
Re: Jim Willgoose At: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/8141 JA = Jon Awbrey JW = Jim Willgoose JA: Just to be sure we start out with the same thing in mind, are you talking about the notion of judgment that was represented by the judgment stroke in Frege's

[peirce-l] Mathematics, Phenomenology, Normative Science, Metaphysics

2012-05-11 Thread Jon Awbrey
o~o~o~o~o~o I began to be curious about the recurrence of the following passage from Peirce in internet discussions over the last dozen years or so. Syllabus : Classification of Sciences (1.180-202, G-1903-2b) •

Re: [peirce-l] Frege against the Booleans

2012-05-11 Thread Jon Awbrey
JW = Jim Willgoose JW: I followed up on two paper suggestions by Irving (Sluga and Van Heijenoort) in the context of the language or calculus topic. With Sluga, I detect the idea that the Begriffsshrift is a universal language because it is meaningful in a way that the Boolean

Re: [peirce-l] Frege against the Booleans

2012-05-10 Thread Jon Awbrey
JW = Jim Willgoose JW: List, Irving, John et. al., Sluga (Frege against the Booleans; Notre Dame Journal of Formal logic 1987)) places great emphasis upon the priority principle in Frege, which stresses that the judgement is epistemically, ontologically, and methodologically

Re: [peirce-l] What Peirce Preserves

2012-05-09 Thread Jon Awbrey
Re: Peirce Preservation (Studies in Logic and Its Vicissitudes) At: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/8116 Irving All, The question of how logic, mathematics, phenomenology, and philosophy in general relate to one another has come up again several times in recent

Re: [peirce-l] What Peirce Preserves

2012-05-09 Thread Jon Awbrey
Re: Peirce Papers Preservation At: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/8116 Irving, Turning to your list of points ... IA: My points were -- to put them as simplistically and succinctly as possible -- that: IA: (a) _Studies in Logic_ did not get laid aside because of

Re: [peirce-l] What Peirce Preserves

2012-05-08 Thread Jon Awbrey
Re: Peirce Preservation (Studies in Logic and Its Vicissitudes) At: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/8116 IA = Irving Anellis (also, Intelligence Augmentation) IA: Jon Awbrey wrote: I would tend to sort Frege more in a class with Boole, De Morgan, Peirce, and Schröder

Re: [peirce-l] Not Preserving Peirce

2012-05-02 Thread Jon Awbrey
Jack, All histories of logic written that I've read so far are very weak on Peirce, and I think it's fair to say that even the few that make an attempt to cover his work have fallen into the assimilationist vein. Regards, Jon Jack Rooney wrote: Despite all this there are several books on the

Re: [peirce-l] Manifolds of Sense and Interpretation

2012-04-19 Thread Jon Awbrey
Steven, There are the sounds of things in your overture that resonate with many themes of long-standing interest to me -- the possibility of integrating dynamic and symbolic aspects of intelligent systems, the logical analogues of differential manifolds and the triadic relations that anchor

[peirce-l] Paradisaical Logic The After Math

2012-04-09 Thread Jon Awbrey
Peircers, Not too coincidentally with the mention of Peirce's existential graphs, a tangent of discussion on another blog brought to mind an old favorite passage from Peirce, where he is using his entitative graphs to exposit the logic of relatives. Here is the observation that I was led to

Re: [peirce-l] A Question About Categories

2012-03-30 Thread Jon Awbrey
Urbanismo Universidad de Buenos Aires Home address: Gral. Lemos 270 (1427) Buenos Aires – Argentina Telefax: (0054-11) 4553-4895 or 4553-7976 Cell phone: (0054-9-11) 6289-8123 E-mail: claudiogue...@fibertel.com.ar Jon Awbrey said the following on 14/03/2012 03:14 p.m.: Diane, Between any

Re: [peirce-l] The Pragmatic Cosmos

2012-03-27 Thread Jon Awbrey
Peircers, Here's another prospectus on normative inquiry that I wrote up in September 1992. Prospects For Inquiry Driven Systems 1.3.1. Logic, Ethics, Esthetics The philosophy I find myself converging to more often lately is the pragmatism of C.S. Peirce and John Dewey. According to this

Re: [peirce-l] Book Review: Peirce and the Threat of Nominalism

2012-03-27 Thread Jon Awbrey
A Facebook acquaintance posted this on my wall ... Bakhtin Meets Pocahontas -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GITVPh7GVSE Cheers, Jon -- academia: http://independent.academia.edu/JonAwbrey inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/ mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey

Re: [peirce-l] Book Review • “Peirce and the Threat of Nominalism”

2012-03-26 Thread Jon Awbrey
Peircers, Yet another attack of synchronicity -- I just now happened to be working on the markup of some old work and I ran across this bit where I was trying to puzzle out a sensible picture of how the normative science fit together within a pragmatic perspective on their objects. |

Re: [peirce-l] C.S. Peirce • A Guess at the Riddle

2012-03-23 Thread Jon Awbrey
Re: Benjamin Udell At: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/8026 Re: Terry Bristol At: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/8029 In the passage I quoted, Peirce is describing a critical juncture in the evolution of our physical understanding. One of the

Re: [peirce-l] C.S. Peirce • A Guess at the Riddle

2012-03-22 Thread Jon Awbrey
TB = Terry Bristol TB: I like it up to this statement that I find obscure. CSP: Now an acceleration, instead of being like a velocity a relation between two successive positions, is a relation between three; so that the new doctrine has consisted in the suitable introduction of the

[peirce-l] C.S. Peirce • A Guess at the Riddle

2012-03-21 Thread Jon Awbrey
Peircers, Here is a passage from Peirce that I find telling and personally compelling, for reasons I hope to tell later on. It often comes up in explaining Thirdness as it naturally arises in physics, and more generally in systems theory. Selections from C.S. Peirce, “A Guess at the Riddle”,

[peirce-l] Peirce Community Blogs Home Pages

2012-03-20 Thread Jon Awbrey
Thanks, Ben, that is some rockin' blog roll ! • http://www.cspeirce.com/individs.htm cc: Arisbe, Inquiry, Peirce List -- academia: http://independent.academia.edu/JonAwbrey inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/ mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey oeiswiki:

[peirce-l] Inquiry and Analogy in Aristotle and Peirce

2012-03-18 Thread Jon Awbrey
Peircers, A recent blog post by Michael Shapiro on “The Pragmatistic Force of Analogy in Language Structure” reminded me of some work I started on “Inquiry and Analogy in Aristotle and Peirce”, parts of which may be of service in our discussions of the “Categorical Aspects of Abduction,

Re: [peirce-l] A Question About Peirce's Categories

2012-03-15 Thread Jon Awbrey
Steven, I think the point about sequentiality is correct. Relations are ordered according to their arities or dimensions, and Peirce holds that three are enough to generate all others, but not all relations of constraint or determination, that is, information, are causal or temporal in nature,

Re: [peirce-l] Categorical Aspects of Abduction, Deduction, Induction

2012-03-13 Thread Jon Awbrey
Peircers, I think it's true that some of the difficulties of this discussion may be due to different concepts of predicates, or different ways of using the word predicate in different applications, communities, and contexts. If I think back to the variety of different communities of

Re: [peirce-l] Categorical Aspects of Abduction, Deduction, Induction

2012-03-12 Thread Jon Awbrey
GF: Good point, Jon -- we should not neglect the element of performance art in philosophy! :-) GF: However I'm not sure it's right to say that the metaphysical order is more fundamental than the phenomenological. It doesn't seem to jibe with Peirce's classification of the sciences,

Re: [peirce-l] [Inquiry] Categorical Aspects of Abduction, Deduction, Induction

2012-03-12 Thread Jon Awbrey
Peircers, There is a continuity of purpose that unites all the various category systems, from Aristotle through the present day. Clearly, the categories of Aristotle, Kant, Peirce, and contemporary mathematics are the same in neither number nor content, but the logical function and semiotic

Re: [peirce-l] Categorical Aspects of Abduction, Deduction, Induction

2012-03-12 Thread Jon Awbrey
Ben, Steven, All ... I may have missed a few posts but I don't understand the fuss about indices. The types of signs not in one-to-one correspondence with the types of objects. You can refer to the same object by means of a pronoun or some other index -- for example, Looky there!, Voila!, or I

Re: [peirce-l] C.S. Peirce • Objective Logic

2012-03-10 Thread Jon Awbrey
Peircers, Short on time till Monday, but I was able to redo the Objective Logic excepts as a blog post, that may be easier to read all in one piece: http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2012/03/09/c-s-peirce-%E2%80%A2-objective-logic/ Regards, Jon -- academia:

Re: [peirce-l] C.S. Peirce • Objective Logic

2012-03-09 Thread Jon Awbrey
o~o~o~o~o~o Note 2 o~o~o~o~o~o Objective Logic (cont.) The first question, then, which I have to ask is: Supposing such a thing to be true, what is the kind of proof which I ought to demand to satisfy me of its

Re: [peirce-l] C.S. Peirce • Objective Logic

2012-03-09 Thread Jon Awbrey
o~o~o~o~o~o Note 3 o~o~o~o~o~o Objective Logic (cont.) But whatever be the kind and degree of our logical assurance that there is any real world, external or internal, that same kind and degree of assurance we

Re: [peirce-l] C.S. Peirce • Objective Logic

2012-03-09 Thread Jon Awbrey
Gary, Sorry, the incitement for this reading is that array of questions that arose in regard to the relations among Peirce's categories, predicates of predicates, the possibly finite sequence of intentions, and the modes of being that he mentioned in his passage about Predicaments. I had to

Re: [peirce-l] C.S. Peirce • Objective Logic

2012-03-09 Thread Jon Awbrey
o~o~o~o~o~o Note 4 o~o~o~o~o~o Objective Logic (cont.) Aristotelianism admitted two modes of being. This position was attacked by William Ockham, on the ground that one kind sufficed to account for all the

Re: [peirce-l] Categorical Aspects of Abduction, Deduction, Induction

2012-03-08 Thread Jon Awbrey
of backtracking later. BU = Ben Udell JA = Jon Awbrey BU: The passage by Peirce that you quoted below has nagged at me for some time. On your mywikibiz page to which you linked, as regards that passage, you said The first thing to extract from this passage is the fact that Peirce's Categories

[peirce-l] C.S. Peirce • Objective Logic

2012-03-08 Thread Jon Awbrey
| Objective Logic | | With Speculative Rhetoric, Logic, in the sense of Normative Semeotic, | is brought to a close. But now we have to examine whether there be a | doctrine of signs corresponding to Hegel's objective logic; that is to | say, whether there be a life in Signs, so that — the

Re: [peirce-l] Proemial: On The Origin Of Experience

2012-03-06 Thread Jon Awbrey
Steven, Here's a snippet from Boole that I think well illustrates his take on the relation between logic and the psychology of the thinking process. | In proceeding to these inquiries, it will not be necessary | to enter into the discussion of that famous question of the | schools, whether

Re: [peirce-l] Categorical Aspects of Abduction, Deduction, Induction

2012-03-05 Thread Jon Awbrey
Hi Phyllis, Do you know the work of Sorrentino and Roney on orientations to uncertainty? | Sorrentino, Richard M., and Roney, Christopher J.R. (2000), | The Uncertain Mind : Individual Differences in Facing the Unknown, | (Essays in Social Psychology, Miles Hewstone (ed.)), Taylor and Francis,

Re: [peirce-l] Categorical Aspects of Abduction, Deduction, Induction

2012-03-04 Thread Jon Awbrey
Peircers, Gary brings us evidence that Peirce continued to find favor with his original opinion about the connections of the three categories with the principal types of signs and the principal types of inference, even when all the second guessing and third guessing had settled down, and yet

Re: [peirce-l] Categorical Aspects of Abduction, Deduction, Induction

2012-03-04 Thread Jon Awbrey
Peircers, Here are the excerpts I copied out and the notes I took on Peirce's treatment of information and inquiry in relation to the principal types of sign relations and the principal types of inference, all from his Lectures on the Logic of Science at Harvard (1865) and the Lowell Institute

Re: [peirce-l] Categorical Aspects of Abduction, Deduction, Induction

2012-03-02 Thread Jon Awbrey
Thanks, Gary, this is a very helpful summary. Jon cc: Arisbe, Inquiry, Peirce List Gary Richmond wrote: Cathy, Stephen, list, Cathy, you wrote: I don't see how one might interpret induction as secondness though.Though a *misplaced* induction may well lead to the secondness of surprise due to

Re: [peirce-l] Categorical Aspects of Abduction, Deduction, Induction

2012-03-02 Thread Jon Awbrey
GR = Gary Richmond JD = Jonathan DeVore JD: It might be useful to bear in mind that we don't have to think about 3rdnss, 2ndnss, 1stnss in an all-or-nothing fashion. Peirce might have us recall that these elements will be differently prominent according to the phenomenon under

Re: [peirce-l] Knowledge Workers of the World, Unite❢

2012-03-01 Thread Jon Awbrey
Peircers, My exploratory, glacial, back-tracking style of thinking is more suited to wikis than blogs, so my blog posts, like Peircean signposts, tend to grow over time. At any rate, here's the updated postings on subjects related to the open access revolution, more lately, of course, the

Re: [peirce-l] A New Dissertation on Walker Percy and Charles Peirce

2012-02-26 Thread Jon Awbrey
Peircers, Synchroncity In The Asynchronous World (SITAW) !!! We recently had a discussion of related issues on PolicyMic ... http://www.policymic.com/articles/why-the-pope-can-t-be-tried-at-the-icc#comment-16229 Regards, Jon Benjamin Udell wrote: James, list, Theology, Catholic or

Re: [peirce-l] A new dissertation on Walker Percy and Charles Peirce

2012-02-24 Thread Jon Awbrey
Kenneth, Thanks, very interesting. Here's a slightly shorter link, with out the search operation: http://digitalarchive.gsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1079context=english_disssei-redir=1 Regards, Jon Kenneth Ketner wrote: digitally available at

[peirce-l] Michael K. Bergman • “Give Me a Sign : What Do Things Mean On The Semantic Web?”

2012-02-24 Thread Jon Awbrey
Michael K. Bergman • “Give Me a Sign : What Do Things Mean On The Semantic Web?” | The logic behind these distinctions and nuances leads us to Charles Sanders Peirce (1839–1914). | Peirce (pronounced “purse”) was an American logician, philosopher and polymath of the first rank. | Along with

Re: [peirce-l] Poem

2012-02-23 Thread Jon Awbrey
Something there is that loves a war? http://writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/88/frost-mending.html Stephen C. Rose wrote: Would this qualify as a Peircean poem? How about no war in Iran http://ping.fm/kCcFs *ShortFormContent at Blogger* http://shortformcontent.blogspot.com/ -- academia:

[peirce-l] Elsewhere❢

2012-02-23 Thread Jon Awbrey
Precocious comments set aside to simmer … http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/elsewhere%E2%9D%A2/ Jon -- academia: http://independent.academia.edu/JonAwbrey inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/ mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey oeiswiki:

Re: [peirce-l] Dangerous Method

2012-02-22 Thread Jon Awbrey
to blog a choice bit of it for further reflection: http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2012/02/22/ouch%E2%9D%A2/ Regards, Jon Jon Awbrey wrote: EC = Ernesto Cultura EC: Dear List, without pretension. I hope you like this: https://www.createspace.com/3788010 It is on Object (Peirce), and Das

Re: [peirce-l] Dangerous Method

2012-02-22 Thread Jon Awbrey
Peircers, Here are the passages from Peirce and Freud that always strike me as resonating with each other, throwing light in one direction on pragmatic objects in the context of inquiry as conceived by Peirce and reflecting light in the other direction on Freud's Project of 1895, in which later

[peirce-l] Perennial Themes • Tri, Tri Again

2012-02-18 Thread Jon Awbrey
Stephen, Steven, and All, Here are links to a collection of wiki-works where I made an old college try at introducing the necessary elements from the ground up. • http://mywikibiz.com/Inquiry_Live • http://mywikibiz.com/Logic_Live I was experimenting with a distributed architecture of a sorts,

Re: [peirce-l] Philosophia Mathematica articles of interest

2012-02-15 Thread Jon Awbrey
Irving, All I get when I follow that link is an IU Webmail login page, but I don't have an account. Regards, Jon Irving wrote: The newest issue of Philosophia Mathematica, vol. 20, no. 1 (Feb. 2012) has some items that may be of interest to members of PEIRCE-L; in particular: Catherine

Re: [peirce-l] Conceptions Of Locality In Logic And Computation

2012-02-14 Thread Jon Awbrey
Steven, Having only your abstract to go on, I can certainly recognize perennial themes out of Peirce's school, but they have been just as perennially met with incomprehension as they have been brought to the general lack of attention. Most notable among those themes is no doubt the

[peirce-l] Knowledge Workers of the World, Unite !

2012-02-04 Thread Jon Awbrey
Peircers, A few reflections that I posted on Gowers's Weblog that may be pertinent here -- Re: What’s wrong with electronic journals? At: http://gowers.wordpress.com/2012/01/29/whats-wrong-with-electronic-journals/ Having spent a good part of the 1990s writing about what the New Millennium

Re: [peirce-l] Knowledge Workers of the World, Unite !

2012-02-04 Thread Jon Awbrey
Peircers, I added the following comment on Gowers's Weblog — The late Joseph Ransdell (1931–2010), who did more to keep C.S. Peirce's thought alive on the Web than anyone else I know, had a particular interest in the issues surrounding open peerage and publication. Synchronicity being what it

Re: [peirce-l] Knowledge Workers of the World, Unite !

2012-02-04 Thread Jon Awbrey
Ben All, My own interest in this topic has more to do with the ways that economic, social, and technological systems facilitate or inhibit the dynamics of inquiry -- and only incidentally with publication and publishers per se -- but one has to play the ball of concrete application where it

Re: [peirce-l] Knowledge Workers of the World, Unite !

2012-02-04 Thread Jon Awbrey
Peircers, Gary Fuhrman wrote: GF: I would agree that Peirce's third method of fixing belief is the most difficult to give a suitable name to, but I think Peirce's own choice eventually fell on fermentation of ideas, based on this paragraph dated c. 1906: CSP: [[[ My paper of November

[peirce-l] Paul Ginsparg • “Can Peer Review Be Better Focused?”

2012-02-02 Thread Jon Awbrey
Peircers, Here is an essay from arXiv.org blurb (http://people.ccmr.cornell.edu/~ginsparg/blurb/) that Joe Ransdell recommended in one of his notes to “The Relevance Of Peircean Semiotic To Computational Intelligence Augmentation”, and that I am seeing pop up more and more in current

[peirce-l] Logical Graphs

2012-02-01 Thread Jon Awbrey
Peircers, Here are links to a couple of articles on Logical Graphs, newly migrated from Google Knol to WordPress. The first is meant as an informal tour of essential points and selected sidelights, focusing on motivation. The second presents the subject more formally. I took some pains to

Re: [peirce-l] SLOW READ: THE RELEVANCE OF PEIRCEAN SEMIOTIC TO COMPUTATIONAL INTELLIGENCE AUGMENTATION

2012-01-29 Thread Jon Awbrey
Peircers, There have been some related developments occurring in the mathematical community lately. It is beyond my powers to summarize the issues, so here are just a couple of recent links that may serve to give onlookers a hint of what's afoot:

Re: [peirce-l] SLOW READ: THE RELEVANCE OF PEIRCEAN SEMIOTIC TO COMPUTATIONAL INTELLIGENCE AUGMENTATION

2012-01-18 Thread Jon Awbrey
Looks interesting ... I created a topic for Peirce — http://www.researchgate.net/topic/Charles_Sanders_Peirce/ I can nominate any other curators who will serve if nominated ... Jon -- facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/ mwb:

Re: [peirce-l] Timeless law or lawness time? That´s the question!

2012-01-16 Thread Jon Awbrey
Friends, Romanini, Peircers ... Re: http://pirsa.org/11100113 The archetype whose avatar we find in The Holographic Universe (THU) is one that recurs eternally all through the arcana and mystical lore I used to read in the 60s and 70s, for instance, in the hermetic or neoplatonistic theme

Re: [peirce-l] Knol --- Annotum -- WordPress

2012-01-11 Thread Jon Awbrey
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2008/07/30/semeiotic/ Regards, Jon Awbrey http://jonawbrey.wordpress.com/ http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/about/ -- facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/ mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey

[peirce-l] Pathemata : Affections or Impressions of the Soul

2011-12-16 Thread Jon Awbrey
uniform. Regards, Jon -- facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/ mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey knol profile: http://knol.google.com/k/Jon-Awbrey# oeiswiki: http://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey polmic

Re: [peirce-l] Doctrine Of Individuals

2011-12-11 Thread Jon Awbrey
/Directory:Jon_Awbrey/Papers/Information_%3D_Comprehension_%C3%97_Extension#Selection_12 -- facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/ mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey knol profile: http://knol.google.com/k/Jon-Awbrey

[peirce-l] Doctrine Of Individuals

2011-12-08 Thread Jon Awbrey
://knol.google.com/k/Jon-Awbrey# oeiswiki: http://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey polmic: www.policymic.com/profiles/1110/Jon-Awbrey - You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to the PEIRCE-L listserv. To remove

Re: [peirce-l] On the Paradigm of Experience Appropriate for Semiotic

2011-12-05 Thread Jon Awbrey
to obtain visual perspective in their work. - Message from jawb...@att.net - Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 07:18:24 -0500 From: Jon Awbrey jawb...@att.net Reply-To: Jon Awbrey jawb...@att.net Subject: Re: [peirce-l] ?On the Paradigm of Experience Appropriate for Semiotic

Re: [peirce-l] “On the Paradigm of Experience Appropriate for Semiotic”

2011-12-05 Thread Jon Awbrey
://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/ mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey knol profile: http://knol.google.com/k/Jon-Awbrey# oeiswiki: http://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey polmic: www.policymic.com/profiles/1110/Jon-Awbrey

[peirce-l] “The Relevance Of Peircean Semiotic To Computational Intelligence Augmentation”

2011-12-03 Thread Jon Awbrey
/pipermail/inquiry/ mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey knol profile: http://knol.google.com/k/Jon-Awbrey# oeiswiki: http://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey polmic: www.policymic.com/profiles/1110/Jon-Awbrey

[peirce-l] Mathematics, Phenomenology, Normative Science, Metaphysics

2011-11-30 Thread Jon Awbrey
/Directory:Jon_Awbrey knol profile: http://knol.google.com/k/Jon-Awbrey# oeiswiki: http://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey polmic: www.policymic.com/profiles/1110/Jon-Awbrey - You are receiving this message because you

Re: [peirce-l] “On the Paradigm of Experience Appropriate for Semiotic”

2011-11-26 Thread Jon Awbrey
/pipermail/inquiry/ mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey knol profile: http://knol.google.com/k/Jon-Awbrey# oeiswiki: http://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey polmic: www.policymic.com/profiles/1110/Jon-Awbrey

[peirce-l] Thoughts On Normative Sciences

2011-11-26 Thread Jon Awbrey
the norms for guiding the conduct of our thought in the most optimal way. Regards, Jon -- facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/ mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey knol profile: http://knol.google.com/k/Jon-Awbrey# oeiswiki

Re: [peirce-l] [Inquiry] “On the Paradigm of Experience Appropriate for Semiotic”

2011-11-23 Thread Jon Awbrey
://knol.google.com/k/Jon-Awbrey# oeiswiki: http://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey polmic: www.policymic.com/profiles/1110/Jon-Awbrey - You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to the PEIRCE-L listserv. To remove

Re: [peirce-l] “On the Paradigm of Experience Appropriate for Semiotic”

2011-11-22 Thread Jon Awbrey
... but then, very difficult or impossible for practical use. ... -- facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/ mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey knol profile: http://knol.google.com/k/Jon-Awbrey# oeiswiki: http://www.oeis.org/wiki

Re: [peirce-l] “On the Paradigm of Experience Appropriate for Semiotic”

2011-11-14 Thread Jon Awbrey
://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey knol profile: http://knol.google.com/k/Jon-Awbrey# oeiswiki: http://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey polmic: www.policymic.com/profiles/1110/Jon-Awbrey - You are receiving this message

Re: [peirce-l] “On the Paradigm of Experience Appropriate for Semiotic”

2011-11-13 Thread Jon Awbrey
this bringing us to the distinction between descriptive and normative. - Do you think concepts are descriptive? Kirsti On 13.11.2011, at 6.00, Jon Awbrey wrote: Kirsti, Another word for precept is maxim. The distinction between concept and precept brings us again to the distinction between

Re: [peirce-l] “On the Paradigm of Experience Appropriate for Semiotic”

2011-11-12 Thread Jon Awbrey
/Directory:Jon_Awbrey knol profile: http://knol.google.com/k/Jon-Awbrey# oeiswiki: http://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey polmic: www.policymic.com/profiles/1110/Jon-Awbrey - You are receiving this message because you

Re: [peirce-l] “On the Paradigm of Experience Appropriate for Semiotic”

2011-11-09 Thread Jon Awbrey
tendencies to use formal that way. Jon --- JA = Jon Awbrey JS = John Sowa JA: Those remarks were tailored to the ears of a particular body of readers who are accustomed to hearing the word formal used as something akin to a pejorative term, as in mere formalism or merely formalistic. JS

Re: [peirce-l] “On the Paradigm of Experience Appropriate for Semiotic”

2011-11-08 Thread Jon Awbrey
list, and John Sowa made a number of pertinent remarks that he asked me to forward, so I will include the CG List on my copy list for the time being. Here is John's first reply: On 11/7/2011 2:30 PM, Jon Awbrey wrote: One of the continuing problems that we have in reading Peirce is the fact

Re: [peirce-l] “On the Paradigm of Experience Appropriate for Semiotic”

2011-11-08 Thread Jon Awbrey
, Jon Awbrey wrote: Those remarks were tailored to the ears of a particular body of readers who are accustomed to hearing the word formal used as something akin to a pejorative term, as in mere formalism or merely formalistic. But note the date of 1869 -- that was a year before Peirce's famous

Re: [peirce-l] “On the Paradigm of Experience Appropriate for Semiotic”

2011-11-08 Thread Jon Awbrey
/Notes_And_Queries#Excerpt_1.__Peirce_.28CP_2.227.29 Regards, Jon -- facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/ mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey knol profile: http://knol.google.com/k/Jon-Awbrey# oeiswiki: http://www.oeis.org

Re: [peirce-l] “On the Paradigm of Experience Appropriate for Semiotic”

2011-11-08 Thread Jon Awbrey
realities, as opposed to inference in a rarefied formal logical sense. Jon -- facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/ mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey knol profile: http://knol.google.com/k/Jon-Awbrey# oeiswiki: http

Re: [peirce-l] On the Paradigm of Experience Appropriate for Semiotic

2011-11-07 Thread Jon Awbrey
to CSPs meanings. Cheers Jerry -- facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/ mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey knol profile: http://knol.google.com/k/Jon-Awbrey# policy mic: www.policymic.com/profile/show?id=1110

Re: [peirce-l] “On the Paradigm of Experience Appropriate for Semiotic”

2011-11-07 Thread Jon Awbrey
, Jon -- facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/ mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey knol profile: http://knol.google.com/k/Jon-Awbrey# policy mic: www.policymic.com/profile/show?id=1110 oeiswiki: http://www.oeis.org/wiki

Re: [peirce-l] “On the Paradigm of Experience Appropriate for Semiotic”

2011-11-07 Thread Jon Awbrey
/pipermail/inquiry/ mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey knol profile: http://knol.google.com/k/Jon-Awbrey# policy mic: www.policymic.com/profile/show?id=1110 oeiswiki: http://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey

Re: [peirce-l] “On the Paradigm of Experience Appropriate for Semiotic”

2011-11-07 Thread Jon Awbrey
. Best, Ben - Original Message - From: Jon Awbrey To: PEIRCE-L@LISTSERV.IUPUI.EDU Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 12:30 AM Subject: Re: [peirce-l] “On the Paradigm of Experience Appropriate for Semiotic” Peirce used the word formal in a couple of senses, the first of which is closer

Re: [peirce-l] On the Paradigm of Experience Appropriate for Semiotic

2011-11-06 Thread Jon Awbrey
://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/ mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey knol profile: http://knol.google.com/k/Jon-Awbrey# policy mic: www.policymic.com/profile/show?id=1110 oeiswiki: http://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey

Re: [peirce-l] community of inquiry

2011-11-02 Thread Jon Awbrey
John, I have missed all the earlier messages on this thread due to some changes in my email service, but I think I recall Royce using the phrase community of interpretation. Jon -- facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/ mwb:

Re: [peirce-l] Sciences as Communicational Communities

2011-10-19 Thread Jon Awbrey
SN = Sally Ness SN: Regarding psychology, your comments led me to realize that the independence Peirce wanted to declare for logic in relation to psychological phenomena may have had consequences for the way in which other social sciences are understood in relation to Perice's logic

[peirce-l] Occupy Evolution

2011-10-16 Thread Jon Awbrey
So a miser is a beneficent power in a community, is he? With the same reason precisely, only in a much higher degree, you might pronounce the Wall Street sharp to be a good angel, who takes money from heedless persons not likely to guard it properly, who wrecks feeble enterprises better stopped,

Re: [peirce-l] “Some Leading Ideas of Peirce's Semiotic”

2011-10-06 Thread Jon Awbrey
NH: But eventually we'll want to push on and one interesting question we may want to consider is what JR means by Peirce's basic semiotic model. He refers to this, although in different terms, on pp. 2, 3, and 8, and maybe elsewhere. Frequently it is supposed that the basic

Re: [peirce-l] Slow Read : Sciences as Communicational Communities Segment 6

2011-10-05 Thread Jon Awbrey
Steven, Jerry, and All -- Re: Communicational Communities The etymology of community tells us that munus means duty, gift, or service, so the original idea seems rooted in concepts of common duty and shared service. http://depthome.brooklyn.cuny.edu/classics/gladiatr/origins.htm Our notion of

Re: [peirce-l] “Some Leading Ideas of Peirce's Semiotic”

2011-10-04 Thread Jon Awbrey
NH = Nathan Houser JR = Joe Ransdell NH: Let me make a quick reply and later when I have more time I'll go back to Joe's paper to see if he may have had something like what you say in mind. I suppose a lot depends on precisely what Joe meant by directly concerned with semiotic when

Re: [peirce-l] Sciences as Communicational Communities

2011-10-02 Thread Jon Awbrey
Sally, Thanks for all your detailed work on this reading. I can't imagine that our meta-debate on the meaning of the word debate will dissipate entirely, since it appears to be yet another one of those perennial recurrences. I know a person who would often object to my use of the word discussion

Re: [peirce-l] “Some Leading Ideas of Peirce's Semiotic”

2011-10-02 Thread Jon Awbrey
NH = Nathan Houser NH: JR began this paper by pointing out that Peirce conceived of semiotics as a foundational theory capable of unifying sub-theories dealing with communication, meaning, and inference. This may call for some discussion. He then claims that 90% of Peirce's

Re: [peirce-l] Sciences as Communicational Communities -- Academic Capitalism

2011-10-01 Thread Jon Awbrey
, 2011, at 7:06 AM, Jon Awbrey wrote: Sally, Gene, All, In relation to the purpose of a university and what's been happening to it lately, I earlier mentioned the themes of academic capitalism and the war on science. JA 30 Aug 2011 I think it is reasonable to be concerned with distorting

Re: [peirce-l] Sciences as Communicational Communities -- Sincerity

2011-09-20 Thread Jon Awbrey
Sally All, Just a brief note on the question of sincerity. A useful set of concepts for discussing this issue can be found in the work of Argyris and Schön, where they make a distinction between espoused goals, values, etc. and enacted or actual goals, values, etc. In these terms, honesty,

Re: [peirce-l] Sciences As Communicational Communities -- Objectivity

2011-09-09 Thread Jon Awbrey
, intentional objects and objects of intention, that we are likely to miss if we don't remind ourselves of their pertinence to pragmatic thinking. Regards, Jon -- Jon Awbrey wrote: Sally All, As I recall, one of Joe's abiding concerns was the idea that science refers to an objective world

Re: [peirce-l] Sciences As Communicational Communities -- Objectivity

2011-09-09 Thread Jon Awbrey
On Sep 9, 2011, at 1:56 PM, Jon Awbrey jawb...@att.net wrote: Sally All, Some of us are slower readers than others ... To tell the truth, I haven't been having much time to do more than skim, so let me just mention a few thoughts that come to mind while doing that. I am constantly reminded

Re: [peirce-l] Sciences As Communicational Communities -- Segment 1

2011-08-30 Thread Jon Awbrey
Peircers, Let me pick it up here: SN: The main idea or real issue that JR seeks to present via Kleinman's paper is brought out in paragraph 3: whether scientific inquiry is to continue to be recognized institutionally as a discovery process, guided ideally by the norms implicit in such

Re: [peirce-l] Sciences as Communicational Communities -- Segment 1

2011-08-30 Thread Jon Awbrey
Sally All, I think it is reasonable to be concerned with distorting influences on research and scholarship, whether we find them in the sciences or in the other disciplines. Looking around, the conflicts of interest appear to grow more pushy and more pervasive every day. I'm thinking of

Re: [peirce-l] Teleology and the Autonomy of the Semiosis Process --- Signs and Inquiry

2011-08-08 Thread Jon Awbrey
Peirce List, There is a brief discussion of the relation between the theory of signs and the theory of inquiry, as illuminated by selections from Aristotle, Peirce, Dewey, and others, in the following paper:

  1   2   >