Re: [HACKERS] [PATCH] PostgreSQL fails to build with 32bit MinGW-w64

2011-11-27 Thread NISHIYAMA Tomoaki
Hi, For the win32.h, I really don't understand why _WINSOCKAPI_ was defined before winsock2.h some google suggests that defining _WINSOCKAPI_ beforewindows.h prevents inclusion of winsock.h but that does not have relation to inclusion of winsock2.h and ifwinsock2.h is included first, it

[HACKERS] odbc_fdw

2011-11-27 Thread Florian Schwendener
Hi there! I built the current PostgreSQL 9.1.1 sources under Ubuntu 11.04 (in a VMware under Win7). I followed the steps in this guide: www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/04/linux-postgresql-install-and-configure-from-source It seems to work (I can run the server and connect to it with PgAdmin). Now

Re: GiST for range types (was Re: [HACKERS] Range Types - typo + NULL string constructor)

2011-11-27 Thread Alexander Korotkov
On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Jeff Davis pg...@j-davis.com wrote: There's been some significant change in rangetypes_gist.c, can you please rebase this patch? OK, rebased with head. -- With best regards, Alexander Korotkov. rangetypegist-0.3.patch.gz Description: GNU Zip compressed

Re: [HACKERS] GiST range-contained-by searches versus empty ranges

2011-11-27 Thread Alexander Korotkov
The first solution that comes to mind is to make the penalty and picksplit functions forcibly segregate empty ranges from others, that is a split will never put empty ranges together with non-empty ones. Then, we can assume that a non-empty internal node doesn't represent any empty leaf

Re: [HACKERS] vpath builds and verbose error messages

2011-11-27 Thread Peter Eisentraut
On lör, 2011-11-26 at 10:45 -0500, Tom Lane wrote: Peter Eisentraut pete...@gmx.net writes: On fre, 2011-11-18 at 09:44 -0500, Tom Lane wrote: It wouldn't be that hard for elog.c to do strrchr(fname, '/') or something like that, Here is a patch for that. I would also like to backpatch

Re: [HACKERS] Patch: Perl xsubpp

2011-11-27 Thread Mr. Aaron W. Swenson
On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 03:28:57PM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote: On 10/12/2011 08:55 PM, Alex Hunsaker wrote: On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 17:53, David E. Wheelerda...@kineticode.com wrote: On Sep 15, 2011, at 3:04 PM, Alex Hunsaker wrote: Close, seems I was wrong about the typemap

Re: [HACKERS] Patch: Perl xsubpp

2011-11-27 Thread Andrew Dunstan
On 11/27/2011 08:25 AM, Mr. Aaron W. Swenson wrote: On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 03:28:57PM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote: On 10/12/2011 08:55 PM, Alex Hunsaker wrote: On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 17:53, David E. Wheelerda...@kineticode.com wrote: On Sep 15, 2011, at 3:04 PM, Alex Hunsaker wrote:

Re: [HACKERS] [PATCH] PostgreSQL fails to build with 32bit MinGW-w64

2011-11-27 Thread NISHIYAMA Tomoaki
Hi, +/* __MINGW64_VERSION_MAJOR is related to both 32/64 bit gcc compiles by + * mingw-w64, however it gots defined only after Why not use __MINGW32__, which is defined without including any headers? Because it's defined by other than mingw-w64 compilers. I see. That's because mingw (not

[HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Move pg_dump memory routines into pg_dumpmem.c/h and restore com

2011-11-27 Thread Andrew Dunstan
On 11/26/2011 10:36 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote: Move pg_dump memory routines into pg_dumpmem.c/h and restore common.c with its original functions. The previous function migration would cause too many difficulties in back-patching. MSVC is still broken with this change, but now I think we've

[HACKERS] Large number of open(2) calls with bulk INSERT into empty table

2011-11-27 Thread Florian Weimer
I noticed that a bulk INSERT into an empty table (which has been TRUNCATEd in the same transaction, for good measure) results in a curious number of open(2) calls for the FSM resource fork: open(base/657862/16554373_fsm, O_RDWR) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) lseek(17, 0, SEEK_END)

[HACKERS] small cleanup pl_exec.c

2011-11-27 Thread Pavel Stehule
Hello, function exec_set_found uses a PointerGetDatum, should be BoolGetDatum *** pl_exec.c.orig 2011-11-24 12:51:45.0 +0100 --- pl_exec.c 2011-11-27 18:07:46.983118326 +0100 *** *** 5860,5866 PLpgSQL_var *var; var = (PLpgSQL_var *)

Re: [HACKERS] GiST range-contained-by searches versus empty ranges

2011-11-27 Thread Tom Lane
Alexander Korotkov aekorot...@gmail.com writes: The first solution that comes to mind is to make the penalty and picksplit functions forcibly segregate empty ranges from others, that is a split will never put empty ranges together with non-empty ones. Have you seen my patch about GiST for

Re: [HACKERS] small cleanup pl_exec.c

2011-11-27 Thread Tom Lane
Pavel Stehule pavel.steh...@gmail.com writes: function exec_set_found uses a PointerGetDatum, should be BoolGetDatum Applied, thanks. regards, tom lane -- Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org) To make changes to your subscription:

Re: [HACKERS] Feature proposal: www_fdw

2011-11-27 Thread Alexander Soudakov
Hello. I finished developing www_fdw: https://github.com/cyga/www_fdw/ It has docs/examples: https://github.com/cyga/www_fdw/wiki I haven't upload it to pgxn or pgfoundry yet. I want to ask for the following 2 things: 1. testing from community; 2. how can I add my extension to official fdw

Re: [HACKERS] Feature proposal: www_fdw

2011-11-27 Thread Alexander Soudakov
Also, in addition to: I want to ask for the following 2 things: 1. testing from community; 2. how can I add my extension to official fdw list: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Foreign_data_wrappers Is there any procedure for it? Can I have it included in 9.2? On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 10:28

Re: GiST for range types (was Re: [HACKERS] Range Types - typo + NULL string constructor)

2011-11-27 Thread Tom Lane
Alexander Korotkov aekorot...@gmail.com writes: On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Jeff Davis pg...@j-davis.com wrote: There's been some significant change in rangetypes_gist.c, can you please rebase this patch? OK, rebased with head. I looked at this patch a bit. I agree with the aspect of

[HACKERS] information schema/aclexplode doesn't know about default privileges

2011-11-27 Thread Peter Eisentraut
Try this: create function foo(int) returns int as $$ select $1 $$ language sql; select * from information_schema.routine_privileges; This ought to show EXECUTE privilege on the new function, but it doesn't, because proacl is null, and nothing in the information schema handles that

Re: GiST for range types (was Re: [HACKERS] Range Types - typo + NULL string constructor)

2011-11-27 Thread Alexander Korotkov
On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Tom Lane t...@sss.pgh.pa.us wrote: 1. penalty is using both hard-wired penalty values (1.0, 2.0, etc) and values obtained from subtype_diff. This is not good, because you have no idea what scale the subtype differences will be expressed on. The hard-wired

Re: [HACKERS] Feature proposal: www_fdw

2011-11-27 Thread Kevin Grittner
Alexander Soudakov cyga...@gmail.com wrote: in addition to: I want to ask for the following 2 things: 1. testing from community; 2. how can I add my extension to official fdw list: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Foreign_data_wrappers Is there any procedure for it? Can I have it

Re: [HACKERS] Prep object creation hooks, and related sepgsql updates

2011-11-27 Thread Kohei KaiGai
2011/11/26 Dimitri Fontaine dimi...@2ndquadrant.fr: Kohei KaiGai kai...@kaigai.gr.jp writes: We still don't have clear direction of the way to implement external permission checks on object creation time. So, please consider these patches are on the proof-of-concept stage; using

Re: [HACKERS] Patch: Perl xsubpp

2011-11-27 Thread David E. Wheeler
On Nov 27, 2011, at 6:11 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote: Has this been backpatched as well? It has been to 9.1. There may be a simple workaround, but it's non-obvious. I think it should be back-patched all the way. Best, David -- Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list

Re: [HACKERS] Refactoring on DROP/ALTER SET SCHEMA/ALTER RENAME TO statement

2011-11-27 Thread Kohei KaiGai
2011/11/21 Robert Haas robertmh...@gmail.com: Now, what you have here is a much broader reworking.  And that's not necessarily bad, but at the moment I'm not really seeing how it benefits us. In my point, if individual object types need to have its own handler for alter commands, points of

Re: [HACKERS] Prep object creation hooks, and related sepgsql updates

2011-11-27 Thread Dimitri Fontaine
Kohei KaiGai kai...@kaigai.gr.jp writes: I wonder if you could implement that as an extension given the command trigger patch finds its way in.  What do you think? Unfortunately, it does not solve my point. [...] It is also reason why I mentioned about an idea that put prep-creation hook

Re: [HACKERS] Prep object creation hooks, and related sepgsql updates

2011-11-27 Thread Kohei KaiGai
2011/11/27 Dimitri Fontaine dimi...@2ndquadrant.fr: Kohei KaiGai kai...@kaigai.gr.jp writes: I wonder if you could implement that as an extension given the command trigger patch finds its way in.  What do you think? Unfortunately, it does not solve my point. [...] It is also reason why I

Re: [HACKERS] Prep object creation hooks, and related sepgsql updates

2011-11-27 Thread Dimitri Fontaine
Kohei KaiGai kai...@kaigai.gr.jp writes: Sorry, it does not cover all the code paths that I want to apply permission checks around creation of new tables. The existing DAC checks permission on creation of new tables at DefineRelation() and OpenIntoRel(), and sepgsql also wants to follow this

Re: [HACKERS] information schema/aclexplode doesn't know about default privileges

2011-11-27 Thread Tom Lane
Peter Eisentraut pete...@gmx.net writes: This ought to show EXECUTE privilege on the new function, but it doesn't, because proacl is null, and nothing in the information schema handles that specially. I've pondered some ways to fix that. One would be to add a variant of aclexplode() that

[HACKERS] hiding variable-length fields from Form_pg_* structs

2011-11-27 Thread Peter Eisentraut
It would be helpful if variable length catalog fields (except the first one) would not be visible on the C level in the Form_pg_* structs. We keep them listed in the include/catalog/pg_*.h files so that the BKI generating code can see them and for general documentation, but the fields are

Re: [HACKERS] pg_upgrade automatic testing

2011-11-27 Thread Peter Eisentraut
On lör, 2011-11-05 at 18:45 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote: On mån, 2011-09-19 at 07:06 +0300, Peter Eisentraut wrote: I found a simpler way to get this working. Just hack up the catalogs for the new path directly. So I can now run this test suite against older versions as well, like this:

Re: [HACKERS] pg_upgrade automatic testing

2011-11-27 Thread Tom Lane
Peter Eisentraut pete...@gmx.net writes: I've committed it now, and some buildfarm members are failing with lack of shared memory, semaphores, or disk space. Don't know what to do with that or why so many are failing like that. We could create a way to omit the test if it becomes a problem.

Re: [HACKERS] logging in high performance systems.

2011-11-27 Thread Stephen Frost
* Theo Schlossnagle (je...@omniti.com) wrote: I'd like to be able to creatively solve this problem without modifying the core, but today I cannot. I thought a hook already existed for this (there's already a module which uses a hook to log commands done as a superuser, for example).. Perhaps it

Re: [HACKERS] hiding variable-length fields from Form_pg_* structs

2011-11-27 Thread Tom Lane
Peter Eisentraut pete...@gmx.net writes: CATALOG(pg_attribute,1249) BKI_BOOTSTRAP ... { ... int4attinhcount; Oid attcollation; aclitem attacl[1]; CATVARLEN( textattoptions[1]; textattfdwoptions[1]; ) } FormData_pg_attribute;

Re: GiST for range types (was Re: [HACKERS] Range Types - typo + NULL string constructor)

2011-11-27 Thread Tom Lane
Alexander Korotkov aekorot...@gmail.com writes: On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Tom Lane t...@sss.pgh.pa.us wrote: 1. penalty is using both hard-wired penalty values (1.0, 2.0, etc) and values obtained from subtype_diff. This is not good, because you have no idea what scale the subtype

Re: [HACKERS] pg_upgrade automatic testing

2011-11-27 Thread Andrew Dunstan
On 11/27/2011 06:17 PM, Tom Lane wrote: Peter Eisentrautpete...@gmx.net writes: I've committed it now, and some buildfarm members are failing with lack of shared memory, semaphores, or disk space. Don't know what to do with that or why so many are failing like that. We could create a way

Re: [HACKERS] Feature proposal: www_fdw

2011-11-27 Thread Hitoshi Harada
On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Alexander Soudakov cyga...@gmail.com wrote: Hello. I finished developing www_fdw: https://github.com/cyga/www_fdw/ It has docs/examples: https://github.com/cyga/www_fdw/wiki I haven't upload it to pgxn or pgfoundry yet. I want to ask for the following 2

Re: [HACKERS] Inlining comparators as a performance optimisation

2011-11-27 Thread Peter Geoghegan
Attached are the results from performing a similar process to the prior benchmark, but on Greg Smith's high-end server, and with an orderlines table that has been doubled-up until it is 1538 MB, making the same old query perform a quicksort that's over 3GB. Short version: HEAD is 20468.0ms, with

Re: [HACKERS] Patch: Perl xsubpp

2011-11-27 Thread Mr. Aaron W. Swenson
On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 12:12:41PM -0800, David E. Wheeler wrote: On Nov 27, 2011, at 6:11 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote: Has this been backpatched as well? It has been to 9.1. There may be a simple workaround, but it's non-obvious. I think it should be back-patched all the way. Best,

Re: GiST for range types (was Re: [HACKERS] Range Types - typo + NULL string constructor)

2011-11-27 Thread Alexander Korotkov
On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 3:00 AM, Tom Lane t...@sss.pgh.pa.us wrote: I see your point that we only need the penalty values to be comparable for the same new value, but I don't think that really answers my objection, because you've had to lobotomize the logic. As an example, if we have a new

Re: [HACKERS] Patch: add timing of buffer I/O requests

2011-11-27 Thread Greg Smith
On 11/27/2011 04:39 PM, Ants Aasma wrote: On the AMD I saw about 3% performance drop with timing enabled. On the Intel machine I couldn't measure any statistically significant change. Oh no, it's party pooper time again. Sorry I have to be the one to do it this round. The real problem with