Re: [qubes-users] Netowork Manager not running (minimal VM)

2018-01-05 Thread Fabrizio Romano Genovese
Yo everyone,

For future reference, problem solved. The packages 
qubes-core-agent-nautilus
qubes-core-agent-networking
qubes-core-agent-network-manager
qubes-core-agent-passwordless-root
qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates
qubes-input-proxy-sender
qubes-usb-proxy
Are not included by default in the minimal template vm. The first one gives you 
the cute (send here/move there/open in dispVM) stuff in Nautilus. 
The next two are (I suppose) to make networking not a pain in the bum.
The fourth one should do what is done in https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vm-sudo/ 
for you. 
The fifth one is needed if you are setting up a template you'll use as the 
underlying one for the vm that takes care of updating dom0. 
The last two are to set up a template for sys-usb.

All this information was somewhere between here and the github issues page, but 
it should really (REALLY) be listed in 
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/fedora-minimal/ since nearly always one 
will end up needing at least one of the packages listed above.
At the moment setting up a template based on a minimal fedora distribution 
looks like a treasure hunt, and I am pretty sure it would save people a lot of 
energy and time to have this stuff added to the fedora-minimal reference page.

Cheers,
Fab

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/fff5052c-6739-4179-aeaf-2989fcb8ea07%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] dns in qubes

2018-01-05 Thread 'Tom Zander' via qubes-users
On Friday, 5 January 2018 15:37:37 GMT Unman wrote:
> Look at the nat table in the upstream netvm.
> You'll see that sys-net NATs these requests to the NS used by sys-net.

Ah, that hint was enough, I didn't expect NAT, thanks!

Got it working now.

-- 
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io
Vlog: https://vimeo.com/channels/tomscryptochannel


-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/1933751.YPqAdZ1Hvv%40mail.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


[qubes-users] Frequent 3.2 crashes , How to troubleshoot?

2018-01-05 Thread yrebstv
Hello,  I've had a stable system for >6 months, but in the last month,
I'd say I've had 4-6 total crashes, where the machine reboots itself ,
then maybe 2-4  crashes where  the system doesn't reboot, but closes all
VMs and asks me to re-login . 

The last machine reboot was after initiating a Fedora-25 update ; I have
16GB of RAM, but am always up against the max RAM  allowed , and have to
close VMs to open others etc 
Is there a particular log item I can post  or  look for  to explain or 
maybe fix this?   Or maybe  it will just fix itself  eventually ?   Kind
of annoying to have to  re-open and set up  my VMs over and over  more
than I already do .

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/20e8cc9161b164b818b5e21c5e9f9637%40riseup.net.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Re: new Desktop build recommendation

2018-01-05 Thread cooloutac
On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 10:21:04 PM UTC-5, awokd wrote:
> On Thu, January 4, 2018 2:34 am, Wael M. Nasreddine wrote:
> > This is even better
> > https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817153218 for $280
> > but it does not seem to come with 2 EPS (even though I see +12V1 and
> > +12V2.
> > I think one is EPS and another one is ATX. I read on coreboot that
> > adapters can catch on fire, but not sure if that applies here as my
> > understanding is adapters if for hooking up both CPUs in parallel. What do
> > you think?
> 
> Sorry Wael, can't make a hardware recommendation there but to address
> something Taiidan said further upthread about PS2 keyboards and ground
> wires:
> 
> https://www.pcworld.com/article/161166/article.html
> Their work only applies to older, PS/2 keyboards, but the data they get is
> "pretty good," they say. On these keyboards, "the data cable is so close
> to the ground cable, the emanations from the data cable leak onto the
> ground cable, which acts as an antenna," Barisani said.

TY again for your posts!  Sounds like someone has to be in the same room.   I 
did hear about this on Steve Gibsons podcast a while ago from some college kids 
research who did it successfully.  but guess I didn't think of it as something 
practical.

"The researchers found a way to sniff USB keyboards, but older PS/2 keyboards, 
which have ground wires that connect right into the electric grid, were the 
best."

And so they can still sniff usb keyboards apparently.  And contrary to what Tai 
believes,  it also works on laptops...


Still think its not something to worry about unless in a public setting, and 
even still probaby very uncommon.

Then again,  the government agent can break into your home and place a device.  
But I always say in that case,  you have way more other problems to worry 
about,   and they have more practical devices to put in your home.  At that 
point they might as well use a camera and just watch your keystrokes.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/9ca55b19-f411-45c9-a43a-cd3996b5785f%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Re: Duplicate MAC address error

2018-01-05 Thread cooloutac
On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 5:36:33 PM UTC-5, Unman wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 02, 2018 at 02:59:55PM -0500, Ralph Douglass wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 2:06 PM, cooloutac  wrote:
> > 
> > > On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 10:13:49 AM UTC-5,
> > > qubes-us...@ralphdouglass.com wrote:
> > > > On Tuesday, December 26, 2017 at 10:30:45 AM UTC-5, Kushal Das wrote:
> > > > > On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 8:18 PM, cooloutac wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > wonder if your system runs low on ram?  Could also try using system
> > > without iommu and see if it still happens.
> > > > > >
> > > > > I have 32GB here on a T470. I hope that is okay :)
> > > > >
> > > > > Kushal
> > > > > --
> > > > > Staff, Freedom of the Press Foundation
> > > > > CPython Core Developer
> > > > > Director, Python Software Foundation
> > > > > https://kushaldas.in
> > > >
> > > > I can recreate this error message consistently while running the latest
> > > R4 rc3.
> > > >
> > > > Inside of sys-net, just shut down the vm from the inside (e.g. sudo
> > > reboot)
> > > >
> > > > Afterwards sys-net fails to start:
> > > >
> > > > $ qvm-start sys-net
> > > > Start failed: invalid argument: network device with mac
> > > XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX already exists
> > > >
> > > > To get back in a good state without rebooting the entire machine, I have
> > > to shut down (or kill) all dependent vms (AppVMs talking to my firewall-vm
> > > and my firewall vm).  Then I can start sys-net again, followed by my
> > > firewall vm, followed by my regular app vms.
> > > >
> > > > I've managed to trigger this on two Lenovo laptops and one Dell laptop
> > > so far, all of which are running R4rc3.
> > > >
> > > > I'm pretty new to QubesOS and haven't figured out how to dig through the
> > > innards well enough yet to find anything useful.
> > >
> > > afaik, You can't shut down sys-net if other vms using it are running.
> > >
> > 
> > Correct.  You need to shut down or kill all dependent vms (as mentioned in
> > my email already).  It's still better than rebooting one's entire machine,
> > but obviously not ideal.
> > 
> The point is that you shouldn't be bringing down a qube when it has other
> qubes using it as a netvm.
> Sometimes (and I stress sometimes) you can recover from this by
> changing the netvm of child qubes , restarting sys-net and then
> reattaching the children.
> 
> If you have sys-firewall, then changing netvms of children to
> something else, killing sys-firewall, restarting sys-net, restarting
> sys-firewall and then reattaching children will work.
> Somewhat better than shutting down all dependent qubes.
> 
> unman

Yes if you have some programs and data open to continue working on them.

Otherwise if rather just shutting down the vms,   There is a script someone 
made in the community to shut down all vms with one command.  Its on forums 
somewhere.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/abf37fa3-8dc2-4037-b2f6-970c4a42916c%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Qubes 3.2: No Internet Connection, neither with Wi-Fi, neither with Ethernet. HELP PLEASE!

2018-01-05 Thread cooloutac
On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 1:21:34 AM UTC-5, secf...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 3:30:05 AM UTC+10, helpp...@vfemail.net wrote:
> > Yea, reinstalled the OS and followed the same steps, internet working  
> > like a charm now!!!
> > THANK EVERYBODY !! YOU SAVED ME !! REALLY !!!
> > 
> > 
> > -
> > 
> > ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the 
> > NSA's hands!
> > $24.95 ONETIME Lifetime accounts with Privacy Features!  
> > 15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
> > Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!
> 
> No luck for me, I even swapped out network cards thinking that was the 
> problem. No internet what so ever. I guess no Qubes for me until this is 
> fixed.

whats the model of your ethernet card?

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/01d2d17b-367e-4bfb-b063-e317a88daa3d%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Re: new Desktop build recommendation

2018-01-05 Thread 'awokd' via qubes-users
On Fri, January 5, 2018 9:52 pm, Wael M. Nasreddine wrote:

> I'm still missing a GPU as I need to run a couple of 1080p monitors, I
> see on ebay quite a bit (and quite cheap) AMD GPUs here[0], I haven't
> owned a Radeon before, any suggestions?

I know a bit about Radeons at least. Suggest making sure it's on at least
one of these lists in case you ever decide to try passthrough, and try to
not get one that's been burnt out mining coins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IOMMU-supporting_hardware#AMD
http://www.overclock.net/t/1307834/xen-vga-passthrough-compatible-graphics-adapters
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_VGA_Passthrough_Tested_Adapters#ATI.2FAMD_display_adapters


-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/74cfb9b50464012432dc703119ddbb7c.squirrel%40tt3j2x4k5ycaa5zt.onion.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Netowork Manager not running (minimal VM)

2018-01-05 Thread Unman
On Fri, Jan 05, 2018 at 08:56:01AM -0800, Fabrizio Romano Genovese wrote:
> Yo everyone,
> 
> For future reference, problem solved. The packages 
>   qubes-core-agent-nautilus
>   qubes-core-agent-networking
>   qubes-core-agent-network-manager
>   qubes-core-agent-passwordless-root
>   qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates
>   qubes-input-proxy-sender
>   qubes-usb-proxy
> Are not included by default in the minimal template vm. The first one gives 
> you the cute (send here/move there/open in dispVM) stuff in Nautilus. 
> The next two are (I suppose) to make networking not a pain in the bum.
> The fourth one should do what is done in 
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vm-sudo/ for you. 
> The fifth one is needed if you are setting up a template you'll use as the 
> underlying one for the vm that takes care of updating dom0. 
> The last two are to set up a template for sys-usb.
> 
> All this information was somewhere between here and the github issues page, 
> but it should really (REALLY) be listed in 
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/fedora-minimal/ since nearly always 
> one will end up needing at least one of the packages listed above.
> At the moment setting up a template based on a minimal fedora distribution 
> looks like a treasure hunt, and I am pretty sure it would save people a lot 
> of energy and time to have this stuff added to the fedora-minimal reference 
> page.
> 
> Cheers,
> Fab

Fab,

A good part of this information IS on the fedora-minimal page - use the 
horizontal
scroll on the Customization table to see it.
I except passwordless-root as that's a recent change.
Perhaps that page need some editing to make the information more
readily obvious, although some of it is also on the Packages
Recommendations page. 

unman

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/20180105195235.zhokzgvjase7aylr%40thirdeyesecurity.org.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Re: new Desktop build recommendation

2018-01-05 Thread cooloutac
hmm,  they do say they can get readings from electrical sockets on a power 
grid.  That sounds like it can be done remotely.  nuts.

They keep stressing "on older ps/2 keyboards" though which makes me wonder if 
its as practical for newer hardware.  Newer cell phones emit more radiation 
then older ones,  wonder if its the opposite for computer hardware?I still 
think using lasers is probably the most practical,  and for that you have to 
have line of sight.   Even for accurate wireless data they are around 60 feet 
away.

But I guess to sum  it up,  if the government assassin is after you...  DON"T 
USE A KEYBOARD AT ALL>   THEY ARE ALL BAD.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/0ce91a7c-5657-421f-ab09-8e15eeb5bd7b%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Netowork Manager not running (minimal VM)

2018-01-05 Thread Fabrizio Romano Genovese
I obviously checked that page (it is the first thing I did, actually). But 
qubes-core-agent is not mentioned at all there. After hours of research, I 
stumbled into this thread 
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2771

>From here, dnf search qubes-core-agent gave me what I needed. I'd suggest to 
>mention (at least) the existence of the qubes-core-agent-... packages in 
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-vm/

I'd also suggest to mention qubes-core-agent-passwordless-root in 
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vm-sudo/

I am aware that building an entire operating system is a lot of work and there 
are literally thousands of packages, always changing, to consider. But pages 
like these should be kept up to date. I wouldn't suggest to edit them (some 
information that is still useful for previous qubes versions may be lost), but 
just to index them according to qubes new versions: I'd propose to have a qubes 
3.1, a qubes 3.2 and a qubes 4.0 section, for each page.

Cheers,
Fab

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/fa908829-0448-4ba9-b68a-c9a39b839c73%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


[qubes-users] Qubes 4.0 rc3, Whonix template: update-command-not-found

2018-01-05 Thread Fabrizio Romano Genovese
Hello all,

This very very annoying thing happened to me also on Qubes 3.2. Essentially, on 
a whonix-based template, (whonix-ws or whonix-gw, doesn't really matter), every 
time I type something (aside of some basic commands such as sudo, firefox, ls 
etc) I receive the message:

"Could not find the database of available applications, run 
update-command-not-found as root to fix this"

If I try to give sudo update-command-not found then whonix tries to curl some 
files, but not having any connection (template vm) fails. The result of this is 
that I have to run this command directly in the interested appvm, EVERY TIME I 
start them up. Is there a way to make whonix communicate with the outside 
world, so that curl succeeds?

Cheers,
Fab

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/20f4a89e-3012-4868-93df-a49c2b15d85c%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Qubes 4.0 rc3, Whonix template: update-command-not-found

2018-01-05 Thread 'awokd' via qubes-users
On Fri, January 5, 2018 11:11 pm, Fabrizio Romano Genovese wrote:

>
> This very very annoying thing happened to me also on Qubes 3.2.
> Essentially, on a whonix-based template, (whonix-ws or whonix-gw, doesn't
> really matter), every time I type something (aside of some basic commands
> such as sudo, firefox, ls etc) I receive the message:
>
> "Could not find the database of available applications, run
> update-command-not-found as root to fix this"

In 3.2, I opened a terminal on my whonix-ws template, typed "curl" and it
worked right away. If yours doesn't, you might want to reinstall the
template. Also, on 3.2 double-check to see if you whonix-ws and whonix-gw
templates are set to use sys-whonix for their netvm. (Does not apply to
4.0).

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/bc9e27fdea3f47138947f1ddac03f240.squirrel%40tt3j2x4k5ycaa5zt.onion.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Frequent 3.2 crashes , How to troubleshoot?

2018-01-05 Thread 'awokd' via qubes-users
On Fri, January 5, 2018 6:54 pm, yreb...@riseup.net wrote:
> Hello,  I've had a stable system for >6 months, but in the last month,
> I'd say I've had 4-6 total crashes, where the machine reboots itself ,
> then maybe 2-4  crashes where  the system doesn't reboot, but closes all
> VMs and asks me to re-login .

Look in "xl dmesg" for memory balancing errors. You might need to add
loglvl=all to your Xen command line.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/dceaeb8e6ef3ac57a60d5b9c66c9bf26.squirrel%40tt3j2x4k5ycaa5zt.onion.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Re: new Desktop build recommendation

2018-01-05 Thread cooloutac
On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 1:23:37 PM UTC-5, Wael Nasreddine wrote:
> I read a bit more on M/B connectors and 
> https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153218=1 
> has one EPS (8 pin) and one ATX (8 pin as well), so it's all good.
> 
> Taiidan, what GPU do you use? The board has only a VGA, which is OK for 
> setting it up, but I want to run a 1080p widescreen (one, for now, more for 
> later. I have a GeForce GTX 760 laying around, would it work? It says 
> required PCI-E 3 and the board has PCI-E 2 so probably not, but would be good 
> to know.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 6:33 PM Wael M. Nasreddine  
> wrote:
> 
> This is even better 
> https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817153218 for $280 but 
> it does not seem to come with 2 EPS (even though I see +12V1 and +12V2. I 
> think one is EPS and another one is ATX. I read on coreboot that adapters can 
> catch on fire, but not sure if that applies here as my understanding is 
> adapters if for hooking up both CPUs in parallel. What do you think?
> 
> 
> 
> On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 1:00 PM Wael M. Nasreddine  
> wrote:
> 
> 
> 
> On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 10:57 AM Wael M. Nasreddine  
> wrote:
> 
> On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 9:53 PM tai...@gmx.com  wrote:
> 
> 
> On 12/29/2017 10:28 PM, Wael M. Nasreddine wrote:
> 
> 
> 
> > On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 3:06 PM tai...@gmx.com  wrote:
> 
> >
> 
> >> Those dual 6386 are a good price I would get them if I was you, there
> 
> >> will always be plenty of buyers if you want to sell the second one.
> 
> >>
> 
> > Ok got the CPU and the cooler.
> 
> Man dual 6386, that is gonna be one speed demon :D lucky bastard!
> 
> 
> 
> 
> It'll be awesome.
> 
> 
> 
>  
> 
> >   I'm struggling to find a good case.
> 
> If you have the money I would get a supermicro 4U case, they are nice
> 
> (one that comes with front drive trays preferably)
> 
> 
> 
> 
> I couldn't find a Supermicro that's compatible with EEB, is E-ATX the same as 
> EEB? It has the same dimensions, but I think it has different mounting screws 
> right?
> 
> 
> 
> 
>  
> >   There
> 
> > are plenty of choice, and since this would be my first server case build,
> 
> > I'm not sure what to look for. For example, here's newegg search
> 
> > 
> 
> > for 4U cases having EEB keyword (no EEB filter offered), this case seems
> 
> > cheap enough
> 
> > https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219020 but has
> 
> > 80mm fans in the middle, not 120mm. I've seen a few cases with 120mm
> 
> > mid-fans but did not support EEB. Do you have a link for a case you work
> 
> > with?
> 
> My case is a shorter model 80mil in the back 120 for both front drive
> 
> bays no room for middle fans.
> 
> 
> 
> That case seems fine, although can you tell me the price and shipping? I
> 
> can't see it as I browse with JS off.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> That case is $86.99 free shipping.
> 
> 
> For the power supply, what do you think of this one 
> https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338110 (sells for 
> 119.99 + 4.99 shipping). Do you have an example for the power supply with 
> modular cables?
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Actually, the above power supply wouldn't work (the board requires 24pin, and 
> I need about 700W. I found this one 
> https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD245CD7980 for $316, 
> quite pricy for a PSU, any suggestion?
> 
> 
> What do you recommand for the TPM module?

EVGA is my fav brand for psu's.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/4dcfd282-0b35-4af1-942e-dc64368d2b7e%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Re: Lenovo G505s with Coreboot and Qubes R4-rc3 fails to boot

2018-01-05 Thread 'Emil Novik' via qubes-users
Does any G505s owner ever tried to put more than 16Go ram in it?
The limit is meant to be 16Go but some laptops can use more than officially 
supported, wondering if the G505s is one of these.

Would be nice to run 32Go ram on it for Qubes !

---
Emil Novik

 Original Message 
On Dec 30, 2017, 10:16, Ivan Ivanov wrote:

> Thank you very much! Luckily, when the people search, your posts and
> posts like this are among the top results:
> https://libreboot.org/faq.html#will-the-purism-laptops-be-supported
> "There are severe privacy, security and freedom issues with these
> laptops, due to the Intel chipsets that they use"
> Hopefully the majority of their buyers realize that they are getting a
> typical Intel laptop with coreboot preinstalled,
> which is not the "Ultimate Freedom Machine" and actually not much
> better than Sandy/Ivy Bridge thinkpads...
>
> Meanwhile, let me to spam this again ;)
> " Great idea is to stockpile the G505S and its spare replacement parts
> / IC components , so that - if your current one breaks - you had a
> more than one replacement.
> Lenovo tells that the average lifespan of G505S laptop is 4 years -
> and, while it could survive longer in the caring hands - it would
> really help if you have the replacement G505S / G505S motherboards /
> major components of G505S motherboard like the spare KB9012QF A3
> controllers and southbridge.
> Especially the KB9012's - they are very cheap, and at the same time -
> vulnerable to voltage spikes, so if you have unstable electricity at
> house and your power adapter wouldn't block a spike - KB9012 could
> easily die. AliExpress is your friend... :P "
>
> Mike is good at writing wiki pages like these:
> http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Flashing_a_BIOS_chip_with_Bus_Pirate
> http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Flashing_KB9012_with_Bus_Pirate
> http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Compal_POST_diagnostic_card
> http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Compal_POST_diagnostic_card_-_Additional
> Maybe together we could create a new page for us all, describing the
> G505S components and their part numbers.
> I will ask him about it soon
>
> Unlike the libreboot-supported laptops, which are good but have a slow
> hardware ( Core 2 Duo / 4 GB RAM ),
> G505S ia a quad core beast with 16 GB RAM possible -> and at the
> same time not Intel ME / PSP !
> Could take many years before we see another laptop with such a great
> performance / freedom ratio,
> so it makes a total sense to turn it into Long Term Support laptop for
> you and your freedom caring friends.
>
> And, if you accidentally get too many G505S - their value should only
> rise in the future, could re-sell.
> Just hope we wouldn't inflate the prices for each other at those auctions ;-)
>
> Happy coming New Year :)
> Ivan
>
> 2017-12-30 3:20 GMT+03:00 taii...@gmx.com :
>> On 12/29/2017 06:39 PM, awokd wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, December 29, 2017 11:32 pm, Ivan Ivanov wrote:

 2017-12-30 1:57 GMT+03:00 taii...@gmx.com :

 Yes, I am also very disappointed in purism, and its still unclear for
 me why they went the Intel road, when - at 2013 - they could have created
 a
 more freedom-respecting equivalent of G505S, instead of
>>>
>>> This was hashed over in the Coreboot mailing list recently, see
>>> https://mail-archive.com/coreboot@coreboot.org/msg50746.html. To be
>>> honest, I'm kind of tired of hearing about Purism now. ;) I think people
>>> have made their positions clear.
>>
>> :<
>> I only make so much noise because no one else is doing so - they have
>> strangely universal positive coverage in the mainstream tech media and the
>> real facts and downsides are never mentioned or investigated - not to
>> mention that the real libre products like TALOS 2 and Novena get little to
>> no press for some reason.
>>
>> I respect your opinion, but there are still so many laymen who think that
>> "LibreM" means "Libre" (the purism goons say it doesn't and that its not
>> their fault people are confused) so I feel as though I must continue.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "qubes-users" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
> email to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit 
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/CAAaskFB0U6fSBs3i06-0_8byp5g%2BNRvVJJcqcv40jVPZ8OUFcQ%40mail.gmail.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. @gmx.com>@gmx.com>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 

Re: [qubes-users] Re: new Desktop build recommendation

2018-01-05 Thread 'awokd' via qubes-users
On Fri, January 5, 2018 8:17 pm, cooloutac wrote:

> But I guess to sum  it up,  if the government assassin is after you...
> DON"T USE A KEYBOARD AT ALL>   THEY ARE ALL BAD.

Unless it's a model M. Those can serve a double purpose in both shielding
from bullets and in beating the assassin with it.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/2eeb808e17b9cdc9fb4e9fa443a78084.squirrel%40tt3j2x4k5ycaa5zt.onion.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Frequent 3.2 crashes , How to troubleshoot?

2018-01-05 Thread yrebstv
On 2018-01-05 13:35, awokd wrote:
> On Fri, January 5, 2018 6:54 pm, yreb...@riseup.net wrote:
>> Hello,  I've had a stable system for >6 months, but in the last month,
>> I'd say I've had 4-6 total crashes, where the machine reboots itself ,
>> then maybe 2-4  crashes where  the system doesn't reboot, but closes all
>> VMs and asks me to re-login .
> 
> Look in "xl dmesg" for memory balancing errors. You might need to add
> loglvl=all to your Xen command line.


On 01/05/2018 01:35 PM, 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote:
> On Fri, January 5, 2018 6:54 pm, 
> yrebstv-sgozh3hwpm2stnjn9+b...@public.gmane.org wrote:
>> Hello,  I've had a stable system for >6 months, but in the last month,
>> I'd say I've had 4-6 total crashes, where the machine reboots itself ,
>> then maybe 2-4  crashes where  the system doesn't reboot, but closes all
>> VMs and asks me to re-login .
> 
> Look in "xl dmesg" for memory balancing errors. You might need to add
> loglvl=all to your Xen command line.
> 
1)
Thanks for responding.  I have always have these ACPI complaints when I
boot, it may have grown to about 5-6 lines, but flashes by and continues
to boot, FWIW.

2) Below, is what a "memory balancing error" might look like?   If so ,
what , if anything in the  BIOS  or elsewhere  would you advise ??

3) 
Meanwhile.  Please excuse the long post below of 

$xl dmesg   (actually I used the copy from dom0 log feature) 

--
(XEN) [VT-D]DMAR:[DMA Write] Request device [:04:00.0] fault addr
fff0, iommu reg = 82c0009f4000
(XEN) [VT-D]DMAR: reason 05 - PTE Write access is not set
(XEN) [VT-D]DMAR:[DMA Write] Request device [:04:00.0] fault addr
fff0, iommu reg = 82c0009f4000
(XEN) [VT-D]DMAR: reason 05 - PTE Write access is not set
(XEN) [VT-D]DMAR:[DMA Write] Request device [:04:00.0] fault addr
fff0, iommu reg = 82c0009f4000
(XEN) [VT-D]DMAR: reason 05 - PTE Write access is not set
(XEN) [VT-D]DMAR:[DMA Write] Request device [:04:00.0] fault addr
fff0, iommu reg = 82c0009f4000

(XEN) [VT-D]DMAR: reason 05 - PTE Write access is not set
(XEN) [VT-D]DMAR:[DMA Write] Request device [:04:00.0] fault addr
fff0, iommu reg = 82c0009f4000
(XEN) [VT-D]DMAR: reason 05 - PTE Write access is not set
(XEN) [VT-D]DMAR:[DMA Write] Request device [:04:00.0] fault addr
fff0, iommu reg = 82c0009f4000
(XEN) [VT-D]DMAR: reason 05 - PTE Write access is not set
(XEN) [VT-D]DMAR:[DMA Write] Request device [:04:00.0] fault addr
fff0, iommu reg = 82c0009f4000
(XEN) [VT-D]DMAR: reason 05 - PTE Write access is not set
(XEN) [VT-D]DMAR:[DMA Write] Request device [:04:00.0] fault addr
fff0, iommu reg = 82c0009f4000
(XEN) [VT-D]DMAR: reason 05 - PTE Write access is not set
 Xen 4.6.6-35.fc23
(XEN) Xen version 4.6.6 (user@[unknown]) (gcc (GCC) 5.3.1 20160406 (Red
Hat 5.3.1-6)) debug=n Tue Nov 28 12:59:56 UTC 2017
(XEN) Latest ChangeSet: 
(XEN) Bootloader: EFI
(XEN) Command line: loglvl=all dom0_mem=min:1024M dom0_mem=max:4096M
(XEN) Video information:
(XEN)  VGA is graphics mode 1920x1080, 32 bpp
(XEN) Disc information:
(XEN)  Found 0 MBR signatures
(XEN)  Found 2 EDD information structures
(XEN) EFI RAM map:
(XEN)   - 00058000 (usable)
(XEN)  00058000 - 00059000 (reserved)
(XEN)  00059000 - 0009f000 (usable)
(XEN)  0009f000 - 000a (reserved)
(XEN)  0010 - 5cec8000 (usable)
(XEN)  5cec8000 - 5cec9000 (ACPI NVS)
(XEN)  5cec9000 - 5cef3000 (reserved)
(XEN)  5cef3000 - 5cf43000 (usable)
(XEN)  5cf43000 - 5dc64000 (reserved)
(XEN)  5dc64000 - 76e59000 (usable)
(XEN)  76e59000 - 777b2000 (reserved)
(XEN)  777b2000 - 77f99000 (ACPI NVS)
(XEN)  77f99000 - 77ffe000 (ACPI data)
(XEN)  77ffe000 - 77fff000 (usable)
(XEN)  7800 - 7810 (reserved)
(XEN)  e000 - f000 (reserved)
(XEN)  fe00 - fe011000 (reserved)
(XEN)  fec0 - fec01000 (reserved)
(XEN)  fee0 - fee01000 (reserved)
(XEN)  ff00 - 0001 (reserved)
(XEN)  0001 - 00047600 (usable)
(XEN) ACPI: RSDP 77F3, 0024 (r2 ALASKA)
(XEN) ACPI: XSDT 77F300A0, 00C4 (r1 ALASKA   A M I   1072009 AMI
10013)
(XEN) ACPI: FACP 77F51188, 010C (r5 ALASKA   A M I   1072009 AMI
10013)
(XEN) ACPI: DSDT 77F30200, 20F88 (r2 ALASKA   A M I   1072009 INTL
20120913)
(XEN) ACPI: FACS 77F98F80, 0040
(XEN) ACPI: APIC 77F51298, 0084 (r3 ALASKA   A M I   1072009 AMI
10013)
(XEN) ACPI: FPDT 77F51320, 0044 (r1 ALASKA   A M I   1072009 AMI
10013)
(XEN) ACPI: FIDT 77F51368, 009C (r1 ALASKA   A M I   1072009 AMI
10013)
(XEN) ACPI: MCFG 77F51408, 003C (r1 ALASKAA M I  1072009 MSFT  
97)
(XEN) ACPI: HPET 77F51448, 0038 (r1 ALASKAA M I  1072009 

Re: [qubes-users] Frequent 3.2 crashes , How to troubleshoot?

2018-01-05 Thread 'awokd' via qubes-users
On Sat, January 6, 2018 12:14 am, yreb...@riseup.net wrote:
> (XEN) [VT-D]DMAR:[DMA Write] Request device [:04:00.0] fault addr
> fff0, iommu reg = 82c0009f4000 (XEN) [VT-D]DMAR: reason 05 - PTE
> Write access is not set
>
>
>
> ..repeat another 300 times :)

I'm not seeing any of the memory balancing log messages I was expecting,
maybe they aren't listed there in 3.2? I'll check on my system later.

Is it possible to remove or disable device 04:00.0 for a while to see if
that's causing your issue? I'm guessing it's an Ethernet card. You can
check with "lspci".

"sudo journalctl -b" might also give you some clues.



-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/f160b01d70f74b7a97ec0fb005858b6e.squirrel%40tt3j2x4k5ycaa5zt.onion.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Re: new Desktop build recommendation

2018-01-05 Thread Wael M. Nasreddine
On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 3:16 PM awokd  wrote:

> On Fri, January 5, 2018 9:52 pm, Wael M. Nasreddine wrote:
>
> > I'm still missing a GPU as I need to run a couple of 1080p monitors, I
> > see on ebay quite a bit (and quite cheap) AMD GPUs here[0], I haven't
> > owned a Radeon before, any suggestions?
>
> I know a bit about Radeons at least. Suggest making sure it's on at least
> one of these lists in case you ever decide to try passthrough, and try to
> not get one that's been burnt out mining coins.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IOMMU-supporting_hardware#AMD
>
> http://www.overclock.net/t/1307834/xen-vga-passthrough-compatible-graphics-adapters
>
> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_VGA_Passthrough_Tested_Adapters#ATI.2FAMD_display_adapters
>
>
> Thanks, got the last piece of the puzzle https://goo.gl/2i5vHe

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/CA%2BkKtKDGTvZx4EgFaA7KkAwr4TvzoAzmkGCRcMWNF4gT_1_9Bw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


[qubes-users] Re: [qubes-devel] Qubes Controller as the new Qubes-Manager

2018-01-05 Thread 'Tom Zander' via qubes-users
On Friday, 5 January 2018 23:43:58 GMT Zrubi wrote:
> > I'll attach two sceenshots of the tool, to give you a bit of an
> > idea of what it already does and maybe if its worth your time to
> > compile 
> 
> Probably this is very subjective, but:
> For me, the most important parts/feature of the current Qubes Manager
> are (in order of importance):
> 
> - Full overview of the state of the VMs in ONE screen, without clicking.
> The new widget is failing on this badly, just as your proposal.

My aim has so far been to show which VMs are there, which type they are and 
if they are running. This is visible in one go. Including even which VM has 
a high CPU usage.
I'm not happy yet with the way that the netVM is visualized, as you say it 
costs clicks on each VM.

> - Changing the NetVM of a given VM.

Great idea!
 
> - Starting programs from a given VM.

Fully agreed, this is what I added last week. I'm using it all the time. 
Much more convenient than the start menu.

> - start/stop VMs

Present :)
 
> - attaching/detaching devices.

Yes, definitely.

> - reading VM logs.

Good to know.

> Probably these are only my personal preferences. Hence I have no time
> to write a new manager for the Qubes 4.x I just shared my use case.
> Feel free to ignore them if you don't like 'em 

They are excellent ideas, thanks!
-- 
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io
Vlog: https://vimeo.com/channels/tomscryptochannel


-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/11479443.jBHdx6CR7K%40mail.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


[qubes-users] subscribe

2018-01-05 Thread Naja Melan
-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/134e0c1f-a868-bffd-cbae-010e3767c694%40autistici.org.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Netowork Manager not running (minimal VM)

2018-01-05 Thread Fabrizio Romano Genovese
Great! I just proposed some changes ^_^
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-doc/pull/508
Cheers,
Fab

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/48939291-4b96-4530-9d11-bae7fe3c66e4%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Re: Lenovo G505s with Coreboot and Qubes R4-rc3 fails to boot

2018-01-05 Thread 'awokd' via qubes-users
On Fri, January 5, 2018 11:19 pm, 'Emil Novik' via qubes-users wrote:
> Does any G505s owner ever tried to put more than 16Go ram in it?
> The limit is meant to be 16Go but some laptops can use more than
> officially supported, wondering if the G505s is one of these.
>
> Would be nice to run 32Go ram on it for Qubes !

I think the max supported DIMM size is 8GB. Taiidan is the guru, hopefully
he knows!

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/c84d196bcd5b135dfe12c9da76f19278.squirrel%40tt3j2x4k5ycaa5zt.onion.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Re: [qubes-devel] Qubes Controller as the new Qubes-Manager

2018-01-05 Thread Franz
On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 8:43 PM, Zrubi  wrote:

> -BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-
> Hash: SHA256
>
> On 01/03/2018 10:09 PM, 'Tom Zander' via qubes-devel wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > during my Christmas holiday I spent more time to get myself a
> > decent GUI tool in order to replace the Qubes Manager from the 3.x
> > release. As I promised some weeks ago, today I released the tool as
> > free/open source software and I have received some positive signs
> > that the Qubes devs may ship packages in a future release.
>
> > I'll attach two sceenshots of the tool, to give you a bit of an
> > idea of what it already does and maybe if its worth your time to
> > compile :)
>
>
> Probably this is very subjective, but:
> For me, the most important parts/feature of the current Qubes Manager
> are (in order of importance):
>
> - - Full overview of the state of the VMs in ONE screen, without clicking.
> The new widget is failing on this badly, just as your proposal.
>
>
> - - Changing the NetVM of a given VM.
> Mainly because I always starting DispVMs without net access.
> And even the current solution is far from comfortable:
> (VM settings -> NetVM selection -> OK
> instead of a simple "oneclick" NetVM selection)
>
> - - Starting programs from a given VM.
> Yes the "start menu" is nice, but sometime it is just more powerful to
> type directly what I want. Especially on an already started dispVM
>
> - - start/stop VMs
>
> - - attaching/detaching devices.
>
> - - reading VM logs.
>
>
>
I agree with Zrubi list. I would add some way to make some order in the
applVM list, so that a standard view may show only the most commonly used
VMs, while rarely used VMs are hidden and shown only clicking a button. To
do that, there should be a flag to differentiate the visibility of VMs.

This may be helpful also in a corporate environment when an administrator
can decide which VMs should be shown and which should be hidden.

Best
Fran




> Probably these are only my personal preferences. Hence I have no time
> to write a new manager for the Qubes 4.x I just shared my use case.
> Feel free to ignore them if you don't like 'em ;)
>
> - --
> Zrubi
> -BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-
> Version: GnuPG v2
>
> iQIcBAEBCAAGBQJaUA23AAoJEBozWgtUjzdkZ9IP/32ydmOQ28Y2DkIMHXU131Gs
> Vjk5dnhZ77kAwKA6vDKrfXaCyKA5ut07dSnzPkcunjz0GArIeGG35UJNL4A0/EX4
> FYd2cDYRa1tDF/PUcny2BukFBeUI37HjK+nwuQtjGkcQ2mYNLSTV1k2Y40NJ6NJi
> LWntV3u+VcrxF7i1pzsI1aq6cyAK06ZfsZepxxh6zwDqoSZsmKaFKDMjbyqEBUSg
> cs2luM75j+4MbcCTxYnAPve2D0Kk2vSQ8s7Egh/S+GVDBmJu0wyaVmdVOds8W7SJ
> R8FPs8/I5/M+13eqkcALwAz7Q1BfT5rD7/3+/H8sOIWvNqU0RDhq87ZjVINpb43t
> leimmZMLDSYZMsui1/ihhp6llmHRzx9aWskmJHp90csUHN3F142bArjqMXjVEdKn
> 00mi/cgqcCB8e8Di6hZbCFWibAUyaZnsJ2Ss2kIVLjUoINSBjd52fN6U9DdIlgsk
> 69GrQaCcOyfOjiv4VYZKZpUDSEgHZWScWECEe7PlPR73DGRBY5L49KPSqpzUJgIG
> a2bP0sMTqYqykhZ+/7IH5BqEq4m5CgGVZCTXC0pYwJ6jd7L6VcanXayeHaLf3lis
> 35oxKOiEk2Lit2bEj8f3sfdBp0kl46rikKpzWORp9pvrg8xU4N/YveA0lzDR5Q4J
> wE/hkPkuAe3s9Srwj3SU
> =E+5l
> -END PGP SIGNATURE-
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "qubes-users" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
> msgid/qubes-users/32e96efa-8650-2f48-04da-2b78e83074ad%40zrubi.hu.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/CAPzH-qA317KzAx28v_gbzp%2B07vbpQ5Xm0g7pfD5AByax4YD8sQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Qubes Controller as the new Qubes-Manager

2018-01-05 Thread Stumpy



On 03.01.2018 22:09, 'Tom Zander' via qubes-users wrote:

Hi guys,

during my Christmas holiday I spent more time to get myself a decent 
GUI

tool in order to replace the Qubes Manager from the 3.x release.
As I promised some weeks ago, today I released the tool as free/open 
source
software and I have received some positive signs that the Qubes devs 
may

ship packages in a future release.

For me it already is quite useful as I prefer clicking to typing 
repetative

tasks.

I'll attach two sceenshots of the tool, to give you a bit of an idea of 
what

it already does and maybe if its worth your time to compile :)

This small GUI is split into two projects, one is a library and one is 
the

GUI application itself.
The reason for this is that there is currently no way for people that 
are
not at home with python to contribute to Qubes. The library will allow 
a

much bigger set of developers to start to contribute ideas and code.

Its a long term thinking, in other words.

What works;

* starting/stopping/pausing and naturally listing of qubes.
* showing basic info (see screenshot).
* starting the tools with a single click which are associated with a 
qube.

* showing statistics (cpu-time-spend, CPU percentage used).

What (basic expected stuff) doesn't work yet;
* No systray icon just yet.
* keyboard navigation.

Resources;
* Code (github);
https://github.com/QubesController/qubes-api-cpp-lib
https://github.com/QubesController/qubes-controller

* Github; https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3417

--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io
Vlog: https://vimeo.com/channels/tomscryptochannel


I haven't had a chance to compile this yet but it is a fantastic idea! I 
was kinda missing the old manager. Much thanks!


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/bef6cf30441c542ea6fd46d9bb42f391%40posteo.net.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Frequent 3.2 crashes , How to troubleshoot?

2018-01-05 Thread yrebstv
On 2018-01-05 14:31, awokd wrote:
> On Sat, January 6, 2018 12:14 am, yreb...@riseup.net wrote:
>> (XEN) [VT-D]DMAR:[DMA Write] Request device [:04:00.0] fault addr
>> fff0, iommu reg = 82c0009f4000 (XEN) [VT-D]DMAR: reason 05 - PTE
>> Write access is not set
>>
>>
>>
>> ..repeat another 300 times :)
> 
> I'm not seeing any of the memory balancing log messages I was expecting,
> maybe they aren't listed there in 3.2? I'll check on my system later.
> 
> Is it possible to remove or disable device 04:00.0 for a while to see if
> that's causing your issue? I'm guessing it's an Ethernet card. You can
> check with "lspci".
> 
> "sudo journalctl -b" might also give you some clues.


Hi   *yes, 04:00.0 is : 

00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2)
I219-V (rev 31)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)

04:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821AE
802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter

Despite not using the Wireless, once in a while it pops up asking me if
I want to connect , and I just close the window. I'm really not sure, if
there is a better way to "disable" it, or if that explains  the   entry 
above  ? 

ok, I'll wait to hear back on which log. 

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/9e61e31940808cd867418f1e109a9e5f%40riseup.net.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


[qubes-users] Re: [qubes-devel] Qubes Controller as the new Qubes-Manager

2018-01-05 Thread Zrubi
-BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-
Hash: SHA256

On 01/03/2018 10:09 PM, 'Tom Zander' via qubes-devel wrote:
> Hi guys,
> 
> during my Christmas holiday I spent more time to get myself a
> decent GUI tool in order to replace the Qubes Manager from the 3.x
> release. As I promised some weeks ago, today I released the tool as
> free/open source software and I have received some positive signs
> that the Qubes devs may ship packages in a future release.

> I'll attach two sceenshots of the tool, to give you a bit of an
> idea of what it already does and maybe if its worth your time to
> compile :)


Probably this is very subjective, but:
For me, the most important parts/feature of the current Qubes Manager
are (in order of importance):

- - Full overview of the state of the VMs in ONE screen, without clicking.
The new widget is failing on this badly, just as your proposal.


- - Changing the NetVM of a given VM.
Mainly because I always starting DispVMs without net access.
And even the current solution is far from comfortable:
(VM settings -> NetVM selection -> OK
instead of a simple "oneclick" NetVM selection)

- - Starting programs from a given VM.
Yes the "start menu" is nice, but sometime it is just more powerful to
type directly what I want. Especially on an already started dispVM

- - start/stop VMs

- - attaching/detaching devices.

- - reading VM logs.


Probably these are only my personal preferences. Hence I have no time
to write a new manager for the Qubes 4.x I just shared my use case.
Feel free to ignore them if you don't like 'em ;)

- -- 
Zrubi
-BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-
Version: GnuPG v2
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=E+5l
-END PGP SIGNATURE-

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/32e96efa-8650-2f48-04da-2b78e83074ad%40zrubi.hu.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Qubes 4.0 rc3, Whonix template: update-command-not-found

2018-01-05 Thread Fabrizio Romano Genovese
Yup, if you type curl it works, but you can't curl anything out of it because 
you don't have connection. To reproduce what I'm talking about, open a terminal 
in whonix-ws/gw and type some random stuff (like "sdshgow"). Press enter. 
Whonix will tell you

"Could not find the database of available applications, run 
update-command-not-found as root to fix this"

Equivalently, you may just directly try to type 'update-command-not-found' and 
find that the template tries to curl some files without success...

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/8561b5a9-7229-4035-ba65-05c40f298be4%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] dns in qubes

2018-01-05 Thread Unman
On Fri, Jan 05, 2018 at 03:17:38PM +, 'Tom Zander' via qubes-users wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how this works, and I am stuck.
> 
> In every qube (except sys-net) there is  a resolv.conf that points to two 
> name servers.
> 10.139.1.1 and .2
> 
> This raises two questions;
> 
> * how does sys-net handle these requests on this odd address. No 'ip ad' 
> network seems to listen on this address.
> 
> * how can I change this in indidivual qubes in the correct matter.
> I have some qubes routing through sys-vpn and I adjusted the vpn VM to find 
> the DNS, but users of the vpn can't find any DNS service now.
> 
> Any help appreciated.
> 

Hi Tom,

You don't say which Qubes version you're using, or how the sys-vpn is
configured. 
Look at the nat table in the upstream netvm.
You'll see that sys-net NATs these requests to the NS used by sys-net.

You should be able to change name servers in a qube using bind-dirs on
/etc/resolv.conf. Or, (somewhat better since it allows you to switch
qubes in and out of vpn), just change the NAT rules on sys-vpn to
capture DNS traffic and send it down the tunnel.

unman

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/20180105153737.iwf2gmhad2m36f2j%40thirdeyesecurity.org.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


[qubes-users] Re: off topic - invite codes to 'riseup'

2018-01-05 Thread alireza . mohammadi . 1990
Hello, could you please send me one too?

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/d6a3efec-a231-4b8c-9a9a-fc56a57cd683%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Netowork Manager not running (minimal VM)

2018-01-05 Thread Fabrizio Romano Genovese
yes, I have network-manager listed in the services tabs for sys-net (I suppose 
that this what the service you were referring to. adding NetworkManager causes 
the VM startup to fail).

Moreover, if I try to use the same template for sys-usb and then try to open 
some usb stick, I get the message:

Not authorized to perform operation (polkit authority not available and caller 
is not uid0), so again an authorization issue. I suspect this may have 
something to do with the procedure to make the minimal template passwordless ( 
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vm-sudo/ )

If someone has some insight about this I'd really appreciate it :)

Cheers,
Fab

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/698af639-dd30-40b3-82cc-eb4db5f1f2e4%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


[qubes-users] Re: Q4: Enabling updates for templates restored from Qubes 3

2018-01-05 Thread kototamo
Maybe it is necessary to $ apt-get install qubes-core-agent
in the VM after update, not sure.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/542f0132-383d-435c-94f3-a374877c7e74%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


[qubes-users] Q4: Enabling updates for templates restored from Qubes 3

2018-01-05 Thread kototamo
I just spent a good time getting my backuped templates from Qubes 3 to work in 
Qubes 4 RC3. I'm posting here what I did (roughly) to get it work, in the hope 
it can help somebody.

After running qvm-backup-restore, starts a terminal for your VM:

$ qvm-run mytemplate gnome-terminal

In the VM, 

- Rename /etc/apt/sources.list.d/qubes-r3.list to 
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/qubes-r4.list
   
- Replace mention of "3.2" to "4.0" qubes-r4.list

Now we will import the new GPG keys used to sign the packages.

- Start one of the official template:

 $ qvm-run debian-8 gnome-terminal

In the debian-8 VM:

$ apt-ket exportall > /tmp/keys.txt
$ qvm-copy-to-vm /tmp/keys.txt

Choose "mytemplate" as destination.

In the mytemplate VM:

$ apt-key import ~/QubesIncoming/debian-8/keys.txt

Now enable networking in the mytemplate settings by specifying sys-net as a 
network VM.

Updates the packages:

$ apt-get update
$ apt-get upgrade

When prompted, choose to use the qubes-r4.list from the maintainer (or merge 
manually).

Disable network in the mytemplate VM.
Restart.

Now the proxy updates should work again.

Good luck.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/c8acfaed-97e7-4acf-8a94-aa8fc729695f%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Netowork Manager not running (minimal VM)

2018-01-05 Thread Fabrizio Romano Genovese
Exciting news: I didn't know that polkit was a package, so even if I followed ( 
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vm-sudo/ ) in detail, nothing worked.

Giving sudo dnf install polkit in the minimal template vm solves the 
authorization problems, both for sys-usb and sys-net.

Now I am able to use the minimal template as the underlying one for sys-usb, 
but I still have problems with sys-net.

sys-net keeps telling me that NetworkManager is not running. If I open up a 
terminal and give sudo NetworkManager then i can see the networks clicking on 
the wifi tray icon, but I can't connect. If I click on a network nothing 
happens (no error displayed, of any kind. Just nothing). 

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Fab

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/5e1ebbf7-250c-46ac-b09d-41970235718e%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Re: Q4: Enabling updates for templates restored from Qubes 3

2018-01-05 Thread 'awokd' via qubes-users
On Fri, January 5, 2018 12:31 pm, kotot...@gmail.com wrote:
> Maybe it is necessary to $ apt-get install qubes-core-agent
> in the VM after update, not sure.

Thank you for the write-up. Had been planning on upgrading my primary
workstation to 4.0 once it was out of RC status but in light of recent
events, might do that this weekend!

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/31b01a56391c1fd2a33391f3b01a064d.squirrel%40tt3j2x4k5ycaa5zt.onion.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


[qubes-users] dns in qubes

2018-01-05 Thread 'Tom Zander' via qubes-users
I'm trying to figure out how this works, and I am stuck.

In every qube (except sys-net) there is  a resolv.conf that points to two 
name servers.
10.139.1.1 and .2

This raises two questions;

* how does sys-net handle these requests on this odd address. No 'ip ad' 
network seems to listen on this address.

* how can I change this in indidivual qubes in the correct matter.
I have some qubes routing through sys-vpn and I adjusted the vpn VM to find 
the DNS, but users of the vpn can't find any DNS service now.

Any help appreciated.

-- 
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io
Vlog: https://vimeo.com/channels/tomscryptochannel


-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/65877894.cAG3c6iG4f%40mail.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Re: new Desktop build recommendation

2018-01-05 Thread Wael M. Nasreddine
On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 11:52 AM cooloutac  wrote:

> EVGA is my fav brand for psu's.
>

Thanks for the tip, Here's my final list of parts:

- Case: https://goo.gl/ethkyC
- PSU: https://goo.gl/DAvHH8
- Motherboard: https://goo.gl/iG3Xia
- CPU: https://goo.gl/HxjKPi
- CPU Cooling: https://goo.gl/Fs3Rck
- RAM: https://goo.gl/UsCYPB
- TPM: https://goo.gl/bpMZsp

I'm still missing a GPU as I need to run a couple of 1080p monitors, I see
on ebay quite a bit (and quite cheap) AMD GPUs here[0], I haven't owned a
Radeon before, any suggestions?

[0]: https://goo.gl/qSc56M

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/CA%2BkKtKAKJ410CDsQTLuAi6SbZYiACy22aP4apVDEXtUDFeFKnw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.