Re: [qubes-users] Re: New Kernel Issues?

2016-12-07 Thread Jean-Philippe Ouellet
On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 8:12 PM,   wrote:
> Never mind I figured it out :)
>
> If anyone has the same issues you can change the booted version by editing 
> /boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg
>
> Update the default var at the top and reboot.

For the archives: this is only true if you are actually booting in EFI
mode, otherwise look for your grub config.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/CABQWM_C6moNsh9M6W8Q1Hxcm0afrE51jn1TRH338rQXJ826_zg%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Re: How to backup an iPhone under Qubes

2016-12-07 Thread Vít Šesták
Good point, but it is not the exactly same risk.

First, the qrexec goes directly (maybe  trusted dom0), while network gores 
typically through sys-firewall. Maybe a minor difference for some, but still 
worth noting. The VM can not only sniff the traffic, but it can also modify it, 
maybe in order to attack some other VM.

Second, the Windows implementation does not look to be updated, so there can be 
unpatched known vulnerabilities. Moreover, it might be easier to find unknown 
vulnerabilities for such unmaintained software.

Both of them might be justifiable, but it is good to know when considering it.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/ba15183e-6f4b-4656-97cd-0ee4c50ecdaa%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Re: How to backup an iPhone under Qubes

2016-12-07 Thread Jean-Philippe Ouellet
On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 11:27 AM, Vít Šesták

wrote:
> Alternatively, you can forward USB to Windows using usbip. Again, you need 
> iptables rules. I did this in older Qubes version with Linux machines, but it 
> should work the same with Windows.
>
> Security concerns when using usbip this way:
>
> * You trust the VMs where the network goes through (usually sys-firewall).
> * The host VM could be attacked if USBIP is vulnerable.
> * The guest VM could be attacked if USBIP is vulnerable. I am not sure how 
> much is the guest software maintained, since the last release is about 5Y ago.
> * Other general threats related to USB (BadUSB, USB sniffing etc.)

Note that the new qvm-usb functionality is built using USBIP, just
over qrexec rather than IP, so you may or may not be meaningfully
increasing what you already trust by using it here.

https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-app-linux-usb-proxy

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/CABQWM_A8%2BLhLn-rc%3D%3DYjqjJxUYuiV%2BKtfqyK2jZrD9P1JPboOA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] More user frindly desktop.

2016-12-07 Thread Jean-Philippe Ouellet
On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 8:49 AM,   wrote:
> I'm new to qubes but how can I make a more user friendly desktop

Qubes' patched KDE still worked fine last time I tried it. Perhaps you
might find that more friendly?

> without installing a few things on dom0

I think the seriousness of installing things there may have been
slightly overstated. If all you are looking to install are standard
common desktop environment components, it should probably be fine.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/CABQWM_DBi9KA%3D0AU0SZ5ey6CjdaP4NO5_n8qXtZqHnLhwBi-WA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


[qubes-users] Re: off topic - invite codes to 'riseup'

2016-12-07 Thread simmonsjane2
On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 10:55:31 PM UTC-5, simmon...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, December 4, 2016 at 7:24:38 PM UTC-5, zachke...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Could you PM me one as well?
> 
> Could two people also send me two invitation codes (via email) so that I may 
> join the riseup.net email service?
> 
> Thank you in advance.

The email address to send the invitation codes to is janesimmo...@gmail.com

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/bdc55e11-4f39-465d-9a90-1fae24c46b71%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


[qubes-users] Re: off topic - invite codes to 'riseup'

2016-12-07 Thread simmonsjane2
On Sunday, December 4, 2016 at 7:24:38 PM UTC-5, zachke...@gmail.com wrote:
> Could you PM me one as well?

Could two people also send me two invitation codes (via email) so that I may 
join the riseup.net email service?

Thank you in advance.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/3ff4176e-3326-4670-b4d3-bec22fe8cb52%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


[qubes-users] Re: Qubes 3.2 Networking under Qubes VM.

2016-12-07 Thread Drew White
On Monday, 28 November 2016 18:10:21 UTC+11, Drew White  wrote:
> I'm trygin to get networking working on Qubes 3.2 Guest, but it's keeping on 
> telling me that the PCI device is assigned already, yet there isn't anything 
> running other than dom0 in the guest.
> 
> Any thoughts?

Does anyone know how to get this working?
This is very frustrating and still not functioning.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/4ad58902-1dd6-459b-be68-28f41addec7f%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] CPU hangs during installation to Shuttle XS35V4

2016-12-07 Thread Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
-BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-
Hash: SHA256

On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 06:31:12PM -0600, FuntooHacker wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 10:05:49PM +0100, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> > 
> > Looks like Xen bug. Or EFI firmware bug (but less likely).
> > I'd start with checking it using newer Xen version. For example install
> > on USB stick on some other machine, install dom0 updates (this should
> > bring Xen 4.6.3) and then try to boot the system from USB on Shuttle
> > XS35V4. If you don't have another system to install Qubes on USB, try
> > replacing xen.efi on installation disk:
> > 
> > 1. Download updated xen-hypervisor package:
> > https://yum.qubes-os.org/r3.2/current/dom0/fc23/rpm/xen-hypervisor-4.6.3-24.fc23.x86_64.rpm
> > 
> > 2. Preferably verify its signature (rpm -K), but if you don't have rpm
> > (and Qubes 3 release signing key) handy, just check sha256 hash of the file 
> > -
> > should be:
> > 49061dff8fc9851e60eacef8818e492ce1665c0377b36b9b7190c0f2a5a0ece1
> > 
> > 3. Extract the package - rpmdev-extract tool is the most convenient way,
> > but if you don't have it installed, you can use rpm2cpio, then extract
> > cpio archive.
> > 
> > 4. Mount EFI partition of installation USB (the one with FAT filesystem)
> > 
> > 5. Replace EFI/BOOT/xen.efi with xen-4.6.3.efi extracted from
> > xen-hypervisor package.
> > 
> > 6. Unmount, try to boot.
> > 
> > If this all does not help, I'd recommend reporting to xen-devel mailing
> > list (xen-de...@lists.xenproject.org) including the screenshot you've
> > send here. 
> 
> Done, and same result. Screenshot attached. Must one subscribe to xen-devel in
> order to send to the ML?

Not required.

- -- 
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
-BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-
Version: GnuPG v2

iQEcBAEBCAAGBQJYSK3PAAoJENuP0xzK19csf/sH/0wDi5G8Zj6Lo2P+cnUjhfgF
B7cKoFsdsVzgqN5pAaSUCiba1bS0jHrmQ97LjsnKCorR7ao7N5dharyH48TAB+Pc
evg5fjlhX8882cT+O5Vp3bKinexH3w/mBAO3TEUwS1bb+ms3rVkwlIgrzh8fLGx1
o+PvSaiNGHGkzNLOEYnSidoX8++olhMujUDpJBgNSZJqAqDHPjWbwWbVCDXmOuVo
OBzuZCLI0C89s1HjoZjTE6fF/Ge0t36BgmWgecN5tb2ZKWER3qBorHFVJAeEt2gG
kp6e1AG3L3AChl4wH58P3pFu/icwMkz+t49bu4mxyiFK1yTJxtllPFtWLHr26bk=
=Ttig
-END PGP SIGNATURE-

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/20161208004812.GJ1149%40mail-itl.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] cjdns

2016-12-07 Thread justusranvier
On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 5:22:11 PM UTC-6, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki 
wrote:
> I think this can be improved (and simplified):
> 
> 1. Use bind-dirs[1] (works also for files) to make config persistent;
> this require to have _some_ config file in the template (can be empty).

I didn't know about bind-dirs. I'm not sure if this will work because cjdns 
needs to generate its keys and put them in the config file, and it only does 
that if there's no existing file.

> 2. Use systemd drop-in to add ExecStartPost (simply create
> /etc/systemd/system/cjdns.service.d/50_user.conf with just [Service] and
> ExecStartPost=... there).

I didn't go with a drop in because I had to change the provided ExecStart and 
ExecStartPre lines to change the config file location, and if the changes were 
going to be that extensive anyway it seemed cleaner to just replace the entire 
file.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/ac2eb22a-733b-45bb-8210-8403008446ce%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] cjdns

2016-12-07 Thread Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
-BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-
Hash: SHA256

On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 02:38:57PM -0800, justusranv...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Check ip6tables - by default all IPv6 input is blocked on Qubes.
> 
> 
> Thanks.
> 
> I ended up solving the problem with an ExecStartPost line in cjdns.service.
> 
> For the benefit of anyone who searches this thread, this is the cjdns.service 
> I use to make sure you can have a persistent config:
> 
> [Unit]
> Description=cjdns: routing engine designed for security, scalability, speed 
> and ease of use
> Wants=network.target
> After=network.target cjdns-loadmodules.service
> Requires=cjdns-loadmodules.service
> 
> [Service]
> ProtectHome=true
> ProtectSystem=true
> SyslogIdentifier=cjdroute
> CapabilityBoundingSet=CAP_NET_ADMIN CAP_NET_RAW CAP_SETUID CAP_SETGID 
> CAP_SYS_CHROOT CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL
> ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -ec "if ! test -s /rw/config/cjdroute.conf; \
> then umask 077; \
> /usr/sbin/cjdroute --genconf | cat > 
> /rw/config/cjdroute.conf; \
> echo 'WARNING: A new /rw/config/cjdroute.conf file has been 
> generated.'; \
> fi"
> ExecStart=/bin/sh -c "exec /usr/sbin/cjdroute --nobg < 
> /rw/config/cjdroute.conf"
> ExecStartPost=/usr/sbin/ip6tables -A INPUT -m state --state 
> RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
> Restart=always
> 
> [Install]
> WantedBy=multi-user.target
> Also=cjdns-resume.service

I think this can be improved (and simplified):

1. Use bind-dirs[1] (works also for files) to make config persistent;
this require to have _some_ config file in the template (can be empty).

2. Use systemd drop-in to add ExecStartPost (simply create
/etc/systemd/system/cjdns.service.d/50_user.conf with just [Service] and
ExecStartPost=... there).

2a. Or alternatively - place ip6tables command in /rw/config/rc.local




[1] https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/bind-dirs/
- -- 
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
-BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-
Version: GnuPG v2

iQEcBAEBCAAGBQJYSJmfAAoJENuP0xzK19csm2gH/0OWxru9rF6BgHo/iXm26GBo
cplVD/t9OtpJiJAjJqzVrgniwurF7Oz5AnXtPhTtabFenekEBnirFDdkBycg+nZE
yGlFAnoTiaIHuRIGhDHUNJIbi26qgYOhuWzJQm0MiUblQrnv+sjmavXTaoBouxBr
xTPkxX3e6g8K18AYJWX1yNGf8QcFOYhr5ZzXTnQ3aroKOud5xqtZk3JIzzLExRTU
FWn7H7/Ah9Zd6BB/X3z9PS99B54WmGyoUj12YiQx2aTQhQ8dLGQK061n/TURNc2E
ZepnaXpyEUaKWOKAM+hS2csyYPGSc9hbjVXPRg6jhj/8Tu1HwpbQuuH2QUU982w=
=DMXf
-END PGP SIGNATURE-

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/20161207232204.GH1149%40mail-itl.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] cjdns

2016-12-07 Thread justusranvier
> Check ip6tables - by default all IPv6 input is blocked on Qubes.


Thanks.

I ended up solving the problem with an ExecStartPost line in cjdns.service.

For the benefit of anyone who searches this thread, this is the cjdns.service I 
use to make sure you can have a persistent config:

[Unit]
Description=cjdns: routing engine designed for security, scalability, speed and 
ease of use
Wants=network.target
After=network.target cjdns-loadmodules.service
Requires=cjdns-loadmodules.service

[Service]
ProtectHome=true
ProtectSystem=true
SyslogIdentifier=cjdroute
CapabilityBoundingSet=CAP_NET_ADMIN CAP_NET_RAW CAP_SETUID CAP_SETGID 
CAP_SYS_CHROOT CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL
ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -ec "if ! test -s /rw/config/cjdroute.conf; \
then umask 077; \
/usr/sbin/cjdroute --genconf | cat > /rw/config/cjdroute.conf; \
echo 'WARNING: A new /rw/config/cjdroute.conf file has been 
generated.'; \
fi"
ExecStart=/bin/sh -c "exec /usr/sbin/cjdroute --nobg < /rw/config/cjdroute.conf"
ExecStartPost=/usr/sbin/ip6tables -A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED 
-j ACCEPT
Restart=always

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
Also=cjdns-resume.service

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/2600b2ba-6efb-4e6d-a173-f51a008fb8ef%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] cjdns

2016-12-07 Thread Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
-BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-
Hash: SHA256

On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 12:00:01PM -0800, justusranv...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have a strange networking issue when trying to use cjdns in a Fedora app vm.
> 
> The cjdns daemon connects to peers and creates an ipv6 overlay network which 
> is accessible via a tun device (tun0). I know this is working because I'm 
> able to use ping6 to contact a host elsewhere in the overlay network... 
> almost.
> 
> By using tcpdump on tun0, I can verify that pings are going out and responses 
> are being successfully received:
> 
> 13:48:21.225299 IP6 (flowlabel 0x3bd7f, hlim 64, next-header ICMPv6 (58) 
> payload length: 64) work > fc10:a664:d429:edec:b105:8fcc:a742:b713: [icmp6 
> sum ok] ICMP6, echo request, seq 15
> 13:48:21.288088 IP6 (hlim 42, next-header ICMPv6 (58) payload length: 64) 
> fc10:a664:d429:edec:b105:8fcc:a742:b713 > work: [icmp6 sum ok] ICMP6, echo 
> reply, seq 15
> 13:48:22.249223 IP6 (flowlabel 0x3bd7f, hlim 64, next-header ICMPv6 (58) 
> payload length: 64) work > fc10:a664:d429:edec:b105:8fcc:a742:b713: [icmp6 
> sum ok] ICMP6, echo request, seq 16
> 13:48:22.305391 IP6 (hlim 42, next-header ICMPv6 (58) payload length: 64) 
> fc10:a664:d429:edec:b105:8fcc:a742:b713 > work: [icmp6 sum ok] ICMP6, echo 
> reply, seq 16
> 13:48:23.273320 IP6 (flowlabel 0x3bd7f, hlim 64, next-header ICMPv6 (58) 
> payload length: 64) work > fc10:a664:d429:edec:b105:8fcc:a742:b713: [icmp6 
> sum ok] ICMP6, echo request, seq 17
> 13:48:23.351557 IP6 (hlim 42, next-header ICMPv6 (58) payload length: 64) 
> fc10:a664:d429:edec:b105:8fcc:a742:b713 > work: [icmp6 sum ok] ICMP6, echo 
> reply, seq 17
> 
> "work" is the appVM and fc10:a664:d429:edec:b105:8fcc:a742:b713 is the remote 
> host.
> 
> I wouldn't be receiving those echo reply packets unless cjdns was working, so 
> there's nothing wrong there.
> 
> However, the ping6 command never receives the replies:
> 
> PING seed.cjdns.stashcrypto.net(fc10:a664:d429:edec:b105:8fcc:a742:b713 
> (fc10:a664:d429:edec:b105:8fcc:a742:b713)) 56 data bytes
> ^C
> --- seed.cjdns.stashcrypto.net ping statistics ---
> 17 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 16386ms
> 
> What would cause those reply packets to get lost between the tun0 device and 
> the ping6 process?

Check ip6tables - by default all IPv6 input is blocked on Qubes.

- -- 
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
-BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-
Version: GnuPG v2

iQEcBAEBCAAGBQJYSIzcAAoJENuP0xzK19csK9QH/icOVRhiUpKBwx2Agh/68wKx
xwmZv2E7j9ZGYdiGIGg5CdbRLzxi4dxjRzmLmYLWr5O2uWODBkegoFcK+rYLgVv/
N68FofRkrLSQQZ2P+GgL+Fb5lCA7tY5b2RQJS7Y0eMQe0/igXrRlwlclPYyBSy18
fqIYZQCY3esryy892sfeD0S7/UsYbBNuaFl3nrdAnf3gPNHUBUPpinTKMf8w0Svd
v1+quGUqrsNlYN/Oi4K8aAX1tUif4pnYdT9XvRERS72BHBP/crqjnpFelaSK9JY6
l0uGI6jTEil8o3UEoBoHQT7g8bkEPJm1TFLJOB8cGdDz1kHzDzTI7L6wS/ySFhg=
=EHQB
-END PGP SIGNATURE-

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/20161207222740.GF1149%40mail-itl.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] AEM boot doesn't load serviceVM's since Xen 4.6.3

2016-12-07 Thread Lorenzo Lamas
On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 9:01:30 PM UTC+1, eldo...@riseup.net wrote:
> I have exactly the same problem with booting using AEM
> Look at this :
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/Vs2QDsU1zJQ
You don't mention AEM there. Everything works fine on my machine if I boot 
without AEM. Does booting without AEM change things for you?

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/a30cb05e-17e0-4f08-8dcb-1fd7c67d00ad%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] CPU hangs during installation to Shuttle XS35V4

2016-12-07 Thread Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
-BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-
Hash: SHA256

On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 01:04:25PM -0600, FuntooHacker wrote:
> Trying to install Qubes R3.2 x86_64 to a Shuttle XS35V4 unit:
> http://global.shuttle.com/products/productsSpec?productId=1765
> but the CPU is hanging with some Xen issues. Screenshot attached.
> 
> Previous successful installs of CentOS 7 (present), Gentoo, and Funtoo Linux
> all x86_64. It is an UEFI *only* system. It uses AMIBIOS version 4.00 x64
> Build Date: 09/21/2015 (latest).
> 
> I've read all your Documentation and believe it should be supported. The CPU
> does have Intel VT-x; not sure about VT-d but I assume so because of Intel 7th
> generation Graphic engine.
> 
> Please let me know if anything else is required.

Looks like Xen bug. Or EFI firmware bug (but less likely).
I'd start with checking it using newer Xen version. For example install
on USB stick on some other machine, install dom0 updates (this should
bring Xen 4.6.3) and then try to boot the system from USB on Shuttle
XS35V4. If you don't have another system to install Qubes on USB, try
replacing xen.efi on installation disk:

1. Download updated xen-hypervisor package:
https://yum.qubes-os.org/r3.2/current/dom0/fc23/rpm/xen-hypervisor-4.6.3-24.fc23.x86_64.rpm

2. Preferably verify its signature (rpm -K), but if you don't have rpm
(and Qubes 3 release signing key) handy, just check sha256 hash of the file -
should be:
49061dff8fc9851e60eacef8818e492ce1665c0377b36b9b7190c0f2a5a0ece1

3. Extract the package - rpmdev-extract tool is the most convenient way,
but if you don't have it installed, you can use rpm2cpio, then extract
cpio archive.

4. Mount EFI partition of installation USB (the one with FAT filesystem)

5. Replace EFI/BOOT/xen.efi with xen-4.6.3.efi extracted from
xen-hypervisor package.

6. Unmount, try to boot.

If this all does not help, I'd recommend reporting to xen-devel mailing
list (xen-de...@lists.xenproject.org) including the screenshot you've
send here. 

- -- 
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
-BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-
Version: GnuPG v2

iQEcBAEBCAAGBQJYSHmtAAoJENuP0xzK19cs/MAIAI0eEYklzBBgxgt0j1f+iknI
316aW+Q3UNjeTfqsHEJC7dwGZJurTTd7Yt+K+kLp3KKv8Vl+GZvs8rDyUBIfO1JH
+49e1BRiZD9cOdx2GabPXXKOdDQN2r2sYtjpmEfWCL39uJ2V+XR3lXy9MoE4+XCz
+iTrbQXli0QbAHLy+DuPWlbfMpG3egJbzYG76GTACkIvx1bAqUU8SEKGNt9ZvEVT
DN8z/R+GTZfNWsWeWmOGIMkxLd7OL43uFEWOEkZ9GtFrmHESvUHuHoTkzo6xpH8p
jO8H7ZqSvcNrWsztCJWmkh5pDTZ9AURwQrg0EaZwZ65K5AkaOXkyq95XUd4IH4E=
=0WfT
-END PGP SIGNATURE-

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/20161207210549.GE1149%40mail-itl.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] AEM boot doesn't load serviceVM's since Xen 4.6.3

2016-12-07 Thread eldorado

On 2016-12-04 15:49, Lorenzo Lamas wrote:

Since upgrading to Xen 4.6.3-21 from Xen 4.6.1-20, booting with AEM
fails to start serviceVM's(netVM, usbVM, firewallVM). When the boot
process finally completes, trying to manually launch the VMs through
VM Manager doesn't work either. When I choose to boot without AEM,
everything works as expected. Problem remains with the latest Xen
4.6.3-24.
It is on a HP Elitebook 8460p with IOMMU running Qubes 3.2

I'm not very familiar with Linux, so if you want logs, please tell me
where to find them.

In case it may not be related to the new Xen version but some other
update installed at the same time, here is the update history:

Transaction ID : 13
Begin time : Tue Nov 22 19:56:34 2016
Begin rpmdb: 934:24862fb1256d9f648273fa8d88ac172b1a06d3d9
End time   :19:58:15 2016 (101 seconds)
End rpmdb  : 939:d785b8e09d66f2d440768eaa6b01d1e77e21ac7c
User   :  
Return-Code: Success
Command Line   :
--exclude=qubes-template-fedora-23,qubes-template-fedora-24,qubes-template-whonix-ws,qubes-template-whonix-gw,qubes-template-debian-8,
upgrade
Transaction performed with:
Installed dnf-1.1.10-1.fc23.noarch@anaconda/rawhide
Installed rpm-4.13.0-0.rc1.13.fc23.x86_64 @anaconda/rawhide
Packages Altered:
Upgraded glusterfs-3.7.16-1.fc23.x86_64
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgrade3.7.17-1.fc23.x86_64
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgraded glusterfs-api-3.7.16-1.fc23.x86_64
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgrade3.7.17-1.fc23.x86_64
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgraded glusterfs-client-xlators-3.7.16-1.fc23.x86_64 
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgrade   3.7.17-1.fc23.x86_64 
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgraded glusterfs-libs-3.7.16-1.fc23.x86_64   
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgrade 3.7.17-1.fc23.x86_64   
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgraded libraw1394-2.1.0-6.fc23.x86_64
@anaconda/rawhide
Upgrade 2.1.2-1.fc23.x86_64
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgraded qubes-core-dom0-3.2.11-1.fc23.x86_64  
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgrade  3.2.12-1.fc23.x86_64  
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgraded qubes-core-dom0-doc-3.2.11-1.noarch   
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgrade  3.2.12-1.noarch   
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgraded qubes-db-3.2.1-1.fc23.x86_64  
@anaconda/rawhide
Upgrade   3.2.3-1.fc23.x86_64  
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgraded qubes-db-dom0-3.2.1-1.fc23.x86_64 
@anaconda/rawhide
Upgrade3.2.3-1.fc23.x86_64 
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgraded qubes-db-libs-3.2.1-1.fc23.x86_64 
@anaconda/rawhide
Upgrade3.2.3-1.fc23.x86_64 
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgraded xfce4-datetime-plugin-0.6.2-6.fc23.x86_64 
@anaconda/rawhide
Upgrade0.7.0-1.fc23.x86_64 
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgraded xfce4-diskperf-plugin-2.5.5-2.fc23.x86_64 
@anaconda/rawhide
Upgrade2.6.0-1.fc23.x86_64 
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgraded xfce4-fsguard-plugin-1.0.2-2.fc23.x86_64  
@anaconda/rawhide
Upgrade   1.1.0-1.fc23.x86_64  
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgraded xfce4-systemload-plugin-1.1.2-3.fc23.x86_64   
@anaconda/rawhide
Upgrade  1.2.0-1.fc23.x86_64   
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgraded quota-1:4.02-5.fc23.x86_64
@anaconda/rawhide
Upgrade1:4.02-6.fc23.x86_64
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgraded quota-nls-1:4.02-5.fc23.noarch
@anaconda/rawhide
Upgrade1:4.02-6.fc23.noarch
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgraded libpng-2:1.6.23-1.fc23.x86_64 
@anaconda/rawhide
Upgrade 2:1.6.26-1.fc23.x86_64 
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgraded xen-2001:4.6.1-20.fc23.x86_64 
@anaconda/rawhide
Upgrade  2001:4.6.3-21.fc23.x86_64 
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgraded xen-hvm-2001:4.6.1-20.fc23.x86_64 
@anaconda/rawhide
Upgrade  2001:4.6.3-21.fc23.x86_64 
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgraded xen-hypervisor-2001:4.6.1-20.fc23.x86_64  
@anaconda/rawhide
Upgrade 2001:4.6.3-21.fc23.x86_64  
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgraded xen-libs-2001:4.6.1-20.fc23.x86_64
@anaconda/rawhide
Upgrade   2001:4.6.3-21.fc23.x86_64
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgraded xen-licenses-2001:4.6.1-20.fc23.x86_64
@anaconda/rawhide
Upgrade   2001:4.6.3-21.fc23.x86_64
@qubes-dom0-cached
Upgraded xen-runtime-2001:4.6.1-20.fc23.x86_64 
@anaconda/rawhide
Upgrade  2001:4.6.3-21.fc23.x86_64 
@qubes-dom0-cached

Scriptlet output:
   1 sed: can't read /etc/sysconfig/prelink: No such file 

[qubes-users] cjdns

2016-12-07 Thread justusranvier
I have a strange networking issue when trying to use cjdns in a Fedora app vm.

The cjdns daemon connects to peers and creates an ipv6 overlay network which is 
accessible via a tun device (tun0). I know this is working because I'm able to 
use ping6 to contact a host elsewhere in the overlay network... almost.

By using tcpdump on tun0, I can verify that pings are going out and responses 
are being successfully received:

13:48:21.225299 IP6 (flowlabel 0x3bd7f, hlim 64, next-header ICMPv6 (58) 
payload length: 64) work > fc10:a664:d429:edec:b105:8fcc:a742:b713: [icmp6 sum 
ok] ICMP6, echo request, seq 15
13:48:21.288088 IP6 (hlim 42, next-header ICMPv6 (58) payload length: 64) 
fc10:a664:d429:edec:b105:8fcc:a742:b713 > work: [icmp6 sum ok] ICMP6, echo 
reply, seq 15
13:48:22.249223 IP6 (flowlabel 0x3bd7f, hlim 64, next-header ICMPv6 (58) 
payload length: 64) work > fc10:a664:d429:edec:b105:8fcc:a742:b713: [icmp6 sum 
ok] ICMP6, echo request, seq 16
13:48:22.305391 IP6 (hlim 42, next-header ICMPv6 (58) payload length: 64) 
fc10:a664:d429:edec:b105:8fcc:a742:b713 > work: [icmp6 sum ok] ICMP6, echo 
reply, seq 16
13:48:23.273320 IP6 (flowlabel 0x3bd7f, hlim 64, next-header ICMPv6 (58) 
payload length: 64) work > fc10:a664:d429:edec:b105:8fcc:a742:b713: [icmp6 sum 
ok] ICMP6, echo request, seq 17
13:48:23.351557 IP6 (hlim 42, next-header ICMPv6 (58) payload length: 64) 
fc10:a664:d429:edec:b105:8fcc:a742:b713 > work: [icmp6 sum ok] ICMP6, echo 
reply, seq 17

"work" is the appVM and fc10:a664:d429:edec:b105:8fcc:a742:b713 is the remote 
host.

I wouldn't be receiving those echo reply packets unless cjdns was working, so 
there's nothing wrong there.

However, the ping6 command never receives the replies:

PING seed.cjdns.stashcrypto.net(fc10:a664:d429:edec:b105:8fcc:a742:b713 
(fc10:a664:d429:edec:b105:8fcc:a742:b713)) 56 data bytes
^C
--- seed.cjdns.stashcrypto.net ping statistics ---
17 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 16386ms

What would cause those reply packets to get lost between the tun0 device and 
the ping6 process?

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/6b61b115-f7ba-490d-b374-8b2d76a5418b%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


[qubes-users] Re: How to copy a win7 vm over network into qubes?

2016-12-07 Thread Ronald Duncan
root.img >> becomes root-cow.img etc and the process was fine.

Was difficult to boot the windows image finally came up.

Then difficult to send ctl + alt + del (looks like this is broke in qubes)
Sticky keys worked.

Trying to get into safemode command prompt to turn off password.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/09411810-e16e-4c6a-bf0f-04c490ababd0%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


[qubes-users] Re: How to copy a win7 vm over network into qubes?

2016-12-07 Thread Ronald Duncan
On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 18:33:13 UTC, Ronald Duncan  wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 16:21:19 UTC, Ronald Duncan  wrote:
> 
> > Where should I put the image file?
> /var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/win7-x64-template
> use  
> qvm-create --hvm-template win7-x64-template -l green
> 
> to create the template subdirectory
> 
> I just sshed the file in using my other ubuntu installation, and then fixed 
> up the permissions.
> 
> The renamed the image to root.img
> 
> It started the boot process, and is currently on the Starting Windows screen, 
> been stuck like that for a while. Going to leave it for a few hours to see 
> what happens since it is using a reasonable amount of cpu and the amount is 
> varying :)

I just copied over a kvm image to root.img.

The creation was a 20gb image and my image was 80gb, so the root-cow and 
volatile are still down at the lower size of 20gb.

Is this ok or should I have created the vm with a larger image size?

Looks like I may have messed up 
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/resize-root-disk-image/??

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/d7d70982-0967-4e31-8757-355c22c10eca%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


[qubes-users] Re: How to copy a win7 vm over network into qubes?

2016-12-07 Thread Ronald Duncan
On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 16:21:19 UTC, Ronald Duncan  wrote:

> Where should I put the image file?
/var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/win7-x64-template
use  
qvm-create --hvm-template win7-x64-template -l green

to create the template subdirectory

I just sshed the file in using my other ubuntu installation, and then fixed up 
the permissions.

The renamed the image to root.img

It started the boot process, and is currently on the Starting Windows screen, 
been stuck like that for a while. Going to leave it for a few hours to see what 
happens since it is using a reasonable amount of cpu and the amount is varying 
:)


-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/81a72b49-b824-47f8-ab7f-b47316ee292b%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] More user frindly desktop.

2016-12-07 Thread Leeteqxv

On 07/12/16 14:49, bob38...@gmail.com wrote:

I'm new to qubes but how can I make a more user friendly desktop without 
installing a few things on dom0. Even the link in the qubes docs is to a guy 
who did that but they also say never run anything in a template or dom0.

I'm confused.



@bob38851; There are certainly lots of things we can wish for to improve 
things, but now the desktop has just been changed from KDE to XFCE, so 
there are probably many small things to be added/adjusted for the new 
environment in the coming releases.


It would be possible to have a fruitful discussion about this if you 
could be more specific on what you would like to do?
Which user-friendly features are you missing, or is your point how to 
replace the whole desktop with a customizeable one? Are you looking for 
something similar in flexibility as the Gnome 
CompizConfigSettingsManager addons, for example? (Is it the Desktop or 
the Window Manager flexibility you want more control of?) Or just a 
customizeable menu for app launchers? (The current panel can be 
multiplied with new, custom launchers)


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/31b0c7e1-07c7-eb22-8937-271ad5b1cb16%40leeteq.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


[qubes-users] How to copy a win7 vm over network into qubes?

2016-12-07 Thread Ronald Duncan
It looks like qubes only supports win7 vm's.  I have an old one that I ran 
under kvm as a raw disk image.

Which looking at https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/hvm/ should work.

Normally I would just dd the image over an ssh pipe, and then reconfigure the 
xml etc.  I think I still have it as a raw partition on disk and as a file 
where I have copied it to run on a different machine, so it may just be a file 
copy.

My assumption is that I ssh it into one of the VM's and then copy it to a 
location under dom0. (and that this is the correct way).

The other would be boot up in ubuntu, and then copy the image where ever it 
should go.

Where should I put the image file?

And what is the best way of then making it into a template?

Thanks

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/4c156b97-1a7e-442e-a97d-48f87a7b691b%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] AEM boot doesn't load serviceVM's since Xen 4.6.3

2016-12-07 Thread Lorenzo Lamas
> > This sounds familiar. Try removing the network devices from sys-net to 
> > see if it will start then. Next, re-add the network devices and try 
> > starting sys-net again.
> > 
> > Chris
> Yes, removing network devices from sys-net makes it possible to start it, 
> forgot to re-add them and try again, I'll do that later.

If I re-add them, it is again unable to start.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/78a3dc83-1ac5-41cf-a230-074d09bb1fcb%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


[qubes-users] HCL - Asus ROG GL752VW-GS71-HID6

2016-12-07 Thread Ronald Duncan
HCL-ASUSTeK_COMPUTER_INC_-GL752VW-20161207-142440

Needs nouveau.modeset=0 to run!!

Looks like everything is working
Ethernet
Wifi
usb

Issues during install I tried putting usb in a vm, (checking this and
running under the net vm which hung the install.

Installing the default ticked vm's worked.

On installing from USB you need to do the following

just after installation - before reboot - go to tty2 (ctl+alt+F2) and edit
/mnt/sysroot/boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg and add nouveau.modeset=0 to the
end of the Kernel= line
(not sure if its mounted at exactly /mnt/sysroot - see `mount` output to
be sure).

Big thanks to Marek!!
Regards
Ronald

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/CALVUjk77DLeq9ZeLxuUQKBoJE3BuCuhiYsJqybkLMRBjwkQe8w%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Qubes-HCL-ASUSTeK_COMPUTER_INC_-GL752VW-20161207-142440.yml
Description: application/yaml


Qubes-HCL-ASUSTeK_COMPUTER_INC_-GL752VW-20161207-142606.cpio.gz
Description: GNU Zip compressed data


Re: [qubes-users] Re: Qubes and HiDPI

2016-12-07 Thread Achim Patzner
Am 02.12.2016 um 00:25 schrieb pixel fairy:
> Im missing something here,

Yes

> why not just set your screen res in dom0 to 1920x1080 or whatever you
> find comfortable? 

 Because it is looking much better and for people spending more than 12
hours using a computer this makes a difference.


> i could see it useful for art or visualization. what other advantage would it 
> have?

Ask your ophtalmologist.


Achim

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/bbfb5722-c62e-3c44-2b63-5504c5074687%40noses.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


[qubes-users] Installing on macOS Macbook

2016-12-07 Thread Chibi
I tried to install QubesOS in Virtualbox on my Macbook and get the following 
error:

http://imgur.com/a/dx9oM 
I can't fix it somehow. Is there any way to fix it?

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/8C848738-0669-423B-93D7-252C87C9BE02%40gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Re: Asus ROG GL752VW-GS71-HID6 Install

2016-12-07 Thread Ronald Duncan
Looks like everything is working
Ethernet
Wifi
usb

Issues during install I tried putting usb in a vm, (checking this and running 
under the net vm which hung the install.

Installing the default ticked vm's worked.

On installing from USB you need to do the following

just after installation - before reboot - go to tty2 (ctl+alt+F2) and edit
/mnt/sysroot/boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg and add nouveau.modeset=0 to the end of 
the Kernel= line 
(not sure if its mounted at exactly /mnt/sysroot - see `mount` output to
be sure). 

Big thanks to Marek!!
Regards
Ronald

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/86491b8b-6860-4cf7-a96a-085366621e3f%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] qubes-devel, what are the rules for posting?

2016-12-07 Thread Zrubi
On 12/07/2016 03:11 PM, jkitt wrote:
> Can I ask development related questions there? Or is the mailing list only 
> for core developers and contributors? (I'd like to get involved)
> 

You can of course - but read the related "rules"
https://www.qubes-os.org/mailing-lists/


Also worth reading:
https://www.qubes-os.org/join/


-- 
Zrubi

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/48cf4431-2813-466f-ef3f-98178b63cf6d%40zrubi.hu.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


signature.asc
Description: OpenPGP digital signature


[qubes-users] qubes-devel, what are the rules for posting?

2016-12-07 Thread jkitt
Can I ask development related questions there? Or is the mailing list only for 
core developers and contributors? (I'd like to get involved)

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/3326e88c-6010-413c-86ca-04c40a1af8c0%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


[qubes-users] Re: Qubes takes a while to shut down (>30min!), is this normal?

2016-12-07 Thread jkitt
On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 13:37:36 UTC, throwaw...@tutanota.com  wrote:
> Hello everyone! =)
> 
> Usually when I update dom0 and then I shutdown the computer it takes quiet a 
> while to finish, the progress bar reaches the end after nearly 5 min, but 
> then it takes 30min (yes!) for it to completely shut down.
> 
> For info: When I click on Esc to see what happens after the progress bar 
> reaches the end I see:
> 
> [ OK ] Reached target Shutdown
> 
> I have a Sony VAIO with a C2D.
> 
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> 
> 
> 
> Kind regards.

This is a known bug afaik. It would seem that some of the mounted block devices 
are hanging before they can be properly unmounted. You can see this when you 
hit any of the F keys during shutdown.

I wonder if there's a ticket?

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/394c54cc-798c-4533-8046-50723bc095f4%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


[qubes-users] More user frindly desktop.

2016-12-07 Thread bob38851
I'm new to qubes but how can I make a more user friendly desktop without 
installing a few things on dom0. Even the link in the qubes docs is to a guy 
who did that but they also say never run anything in a template or dom0.

I'm confused.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/c7fab1d4-b314-41f7-b11d-0618a74e9a50%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


[qubes-users] Qubes takes a while to shut down (>30min!), is this normal?

2016-12-07 Thread throwaway612451
Hello everyone! =)

Usually when I update dom0 and then I shutdown the computer it takes quiet a 
while to finish, the progress bar reaches the end after nearly 5 min, but then 
it takes 30min (yes!) for it to completely shut down.

For info: When I click on Esc to see what happens after the progress bar 
reaches the end I see:

[ OK ] Reached target Shutdown

I have a Sony VAIO with a C2D.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/KYOVCg---3-0%40tutanota.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] [SOLVED] Trouble installing Windows SP1 7 64-bit on Qubes 3.2

2016-12-07 Thread Jarle Thorsen
> That's great ! It works for me too !
> 
> 
> 
> Quoting the interesting part  from the article :
> 
> 
> 
> I found you can pass a custom config to
>   qvm-start. I copied the config for the vm to another location
>   (from /var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/win7/win7.conf in my case) and
>   edited the line in domain->devices->video->model and
>   changed the type from 'xen' to 'cirrus'. So the result looked like
>   this:
> 
>   
> 
>   
> 
>   
> 
>   Then I started the vm with:
> 
>   qvm-start win7 --custom-config=[path to new config]
> 
>   
> 
>   This allowed me to get past the install hang. I haven't completed
>   the install yet, so don't know if it'll be necessary once the
>   install is complete.
> 
> 
> Thank you very much for the hint.

I can confirm that this also solved the problem for me. I guess this bug needs 
to be reported so that it may be fixed?

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/592a8ca0-255d-4172-a36f-0b64c01cbc0a%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Re: Asus ROG GL752VW-GS71-HID6 Install

2016-12-07 Thread Ronald Duncan
On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 00:25:02 UTC, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki  wrote:

> > Is there a way on the first boot after install prior to configuration to 
> > set nouveau.modeset=0
> 
> You can add it from grub menu. In UEFI mode (where grub is not used),
> just after installation - before reboot - go to tty2 and edit
> /mnt/sysroot/boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg and add nouveau.modeset=0 there
> (not sure if its mounted at exactly /mnt/sysroot - see `mount` output to
> be sure).
> 
> > The configuration stage on first boot hangs and is buggy, and I would like 
> > to have a clean boot to configure, I have access to the /boot and so can 
> > alter config files.  There is a big kernal config file, but no command line 
> > parameters, and the boot seems to be immediate with no grub delay.
> 
> No grub - you're probably using UEFI. See above.
> 
> - -- 
> Best Regards,
> Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Big thanks,
I had to mount the /boot/efi under linux because there was not enough time to 
edit before it crashed.  Would have been much better to have edited it during 
the initial install as you suggested :)
Regards
Ronald

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/2c4d479c-056f-4ae1-b137-bcdfe775662f%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


[qubes-users] Are qubes-windows-tools gone ?

2016-12-07 Thread Swâmi Petaramesh

Hi again,


After successfully installing Windows 7 in an HVM, I now would like to 
install qubes-windows-tools, per the documentation at : 
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-appvms/


However the qubes-windows-tools package seems to be missing from the 
repos, both stable and testing.


Any clue about where to find it ?

TIA, Kind regards.

ॐ

--
Swâmi Petaramesh  PGP 9076E32E

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/a400cd14-5855-282c-b88f-b96d59c7a1cf%40petaramesh.org.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] [SOLVED] Trouble installing Windows SP1 7 64-bit on Qubes 3.2

2016-12-07 Thread Swâmi Petaramesh

Hello,

On 12/07/2016 08:46 AM, a.mcwh...@yandex.com wrote:
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/qubes-users/2q19jFeTFGk 



The article helped me to solve the same issue with Windows installation.


That's great ! It works for me too !

Quoting the interesting part  from the article :

I found you can pass a custom config to qvm-start. I copied the config 
for the vm to another location (from 
/var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/win7/win7.conf in my case) and edited the 
line in domain->devices->video->model and changed the type from 'xen' 
to 'cirrus'. So the result looked like this:




Then I started the vm with:
qvm-start win7 --custom-config=[path to new config]

This allowed me to get past the install hang. I haven't completed the 
install yet, so don't know if it'll be necessary once the install is 
complete.


Thank you very much for the hint.

Kind regards.

ॐ

--

Swâmi Petaramesh  PGP 9076E32E

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/6b790ed2-9069-b140-e10e-d73dada3ddbf%40petaramesh.org.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Re: [qubes-users] Trouble installing Windows SP1 7 64-bit on Qubes 3.2

2016-12-07 Thread a . mcwheel
Hello,

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/qubes-users/2q19jFeTFGk

The article helped me to solve the same issue with Windows installation.

Regards.

On December 6, 2016 9:07:38 PM AEDT, "Swâmi Petaramesh"  
wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I run Qubes 3.2 on an HP ProBook 6470b laptop
>
>I'm trying to install Windows 7 64-bit SP1 following instructions : 
>https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/hvm/
>
>I'm using an ISO file sitting in an AppVM.
>
>I could create the VM and start it, it first starts in character mode 
>and displays a "Windows is loading files..." progress bar (so I'm sure 
>that the VM boots and can access the ISO image), then shifts to
>graphics 
>mode and displays "Starting Windows" in a nice font, and then... sits 
>there forever without any visible activity, and no error message.
>
>Any clue ?
>
>I know that my Qubes setup is able to run Windows 7 in an HVM as I have
>
>created another Win7 HVM, with a Windows 7 converted from a VirtualBox 
>installation, and it works good. But this one is 32-bit, and I'm trying
>
>to install a 64-bit version as I read that Qubes Windows tools support 
>only a 64-bit Windows installation...
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>Kind regards.
>
>-- 
>You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>Groups "qubes-users" group.
>To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
>an email to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
>To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
>To view this discussion on the web visit
>https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/10214626-eb3c-9bde-631f-3f36bc67c47e%40petaramesh.org.
>For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/37D93F25-59A7-458B-9B28-F2D790EDF09F%40yandex.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.