Re: [EXT] [qubes-users] How to attach private storage from one AppVM to another AppVM (LVM)?

2020-12-10 Thread Stuart Perkins



On Thu, 10 Dec 2020 20:43:27 +0100
Ulrich Windl  wrote:

>On 12/7/20 3:56 PM, 'heinrich...@googlemail.com' via qubes-users wrote:
>>  From one AppVM I need to temporarily access a large amount of files 
>> from another AppVM. Can this be done without copying the files around?
>> 
>> _Background: _
>> I have a large amount of files stored in AppVM "BIG". That's hundreds of 
>> GB in a separate pool on a spinning HDD.
>> I also have a small AppVM "SMALL" running a program that needs to access 
>> files from "BIG". This AppVM resides on a small SSD.
>> 
>> In the past I copied files from BIG to SMALL. But this takes time and I 
>> need to sort the files beforehand because there is not enough space on 
>> the SSD. I don't want to do that anymore. It would be okay to allow 
>> AppVM "SMALL" to access files from "BIG"'s private storage directly.
>> 
>> Googling around tells me to mount "private.img", but I'm using LVM so 
>> that's not an option. But how can this be done? Can it be done? (Or is 
>> there even a better "file sharing" approach for this amount of data 
>> without having to revert to a NAS?)
>> 
>> Any tips are appreciated.  
>
>Actually I have not done it, but it feels like you should have an NFS 
>server on BIG with a network only accessible from inside qubes, and 
>specifically from SMALL. Still it will have to transfer the file 
>contents, but you benefit from any application that only reads parts of 
>the files.
>
>When not wanting to copy I guess you'll have to mount a snapshot of 
>BIG's data as the LV should be mounted only once (AFAIK).
>
What I have done is...

created a large disk image (600g or so) on the mail dom0 drive space

written a script in dom0 to attach the image to whichever machine I want to 
access it from.

This script..
  attaches the image to a loop device
  mounts the image to the machine I desire
  added /etc/hosts entries to each app vm to mount to a dedicated directory 
when doing "sudo mount -a" by uuid
  script ends with an execution of "sudo mount -a" on the target vm

  there is also a corresponding unmount script, so if it is mounted to "mail" I 
can easily unmount it and mount it to "money".


This lets me treat the 600g.img file like a removable media which can be 
attached to any app vm.  I also back that drive image up on my network server.

Stuart

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/20201210222756.6b8c55f6%40usa.net.


Re: [qubes-users] Can no longer copy text from xterm by default

2020-12-10 Thread unman
On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 03:56:16AM +, unman wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 06:47:16PM -0800, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> > On 12/10/20 6:25 AM, unman wrote:
> > > On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 06:49:35PM -0800, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> > > > I used to be able to be able to do the following to copy text from 
> > > > xterm in
> > > > Fedora and Debian VMs:
> > > > 
> > > > 1. Select/highlight the desired text, thereby inserting it into the 
> > > > PRIMARY
> > > > buffer.
> > > > 
> > > > 2. Press  in order to bring up a menu (I 
> > > > think
> > > > it was the "VT Options" menu).
> > > > 
> > > > 3. In this menu, select the option to copy text from the PRIMARY buffer 
> > > > to
> > > > that VM's local clipboard.
> > > > 
> > > > 4. Press  to copy text to the Qubes inter-VM 
> > > > clipboard and
> > > > proceed as usual.
> > > > 
> > > > However, some time ago, step 2 suddenly stopped working, and I have no 
> > > > idea
> > > > why. Pressing  in xterm now does nothing, 
> > > > as far
> > > > as I can tell. I've checked my trackpad/mouse settings, and everything 
> > > > seems
> > > > fine and unchanged. I've tried pressing the left and right mouse buttons
> > > > simultaneously instead, but nothing.
> > > > 
> > > > I know that I can probably create custom xterm settings that will allow 
> > > > me
> > > > to copy text, but I'd still like to know whether there's a way to do it 
> > > > by
> > > > default for cases in which the VM is uncustomized. Does anyone know if 
> > > > there
> > > > is such a way?
> > > > 
> > > 
> > > On Debian you can hold down the Ctrl key before pressing the button, to 
> > > get the
> > > VT options menu. See if that works for you. Does for me.
> > > 
> > 
> > No, that's exactly the behavior I described as no longer working for me.
> >  means the same thing as holding down Ctrl
> > before pressing the middle mouse button.
> > 
> 
> In my experience, holding a key down *before* another action does not
> always work the same as performing both actions simultaneously, so I
> did not think that these "meant the same thing".
> Can you call up the Main options, and Font menus using buttons 1 and 2?
> 

Add "XTerm*selectToClipboard:true" to ~/.Xdefaults and you need not
invoke the menu

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/20201211041406.GA2287%40thirdeyesecurity.org.


Re: [qubes-users] Can no longer copy text from xterm by default

2020-12-10 Thread unman
On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 06:47:16PM -0800, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> On 12/10/20 6:25 AM, unman wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 06:49:35PM -0800, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> > > I used to be able to be able to do the following to copy text from xterm 
> > > in
> > > Fedora and Debian VMs:
> > > 
> > > 1. Select/highlight the desired text, thereby inserting it into the 
> > > PRIMARY
> > > buffer.
> > > 
> > > 2. Press  in order to bring up a menu (I think
> > > it was the "VT Options" menu).
> > > 
> > > 3. In this menu, select the option to copy text from the PRIMARY buffer to
> > > that VM's local clipboard.
> > > 
> > > 4. Press  to copy text to the Qubes inter-VM clipboard 
> > > and
> > > proceed as usual.
> > > 
> > > However, some time ago, step 2 suddenly stopped working, and I have no 
> > > idea
> > > why. Pressing  in xterm now does nothing, as 
> > > far
> > > as I can tell. I've checked my trackpad/mouse settings, and everything 
> > > seems
> > > fine and unchanged. I've tried pressing the left and right mouse buttons
> > > simultaneously instead, but nothing.
> > > 
> > > I know that I can probably create custom xterm settings that will allow me
> > > to copy text, but I'd still like to know whether there's a way to do it by
> > > default for cases in which the VM is uncustomized. Does anyone know if 
> > > there
> > > is such a way?
> > > 
> > 
> > On Debian you can hold down the Ctrl key before pressing the button, to get 
> > the
> > VT options menu. See if that works for you. Does for me.
> > 
> 
> No, that's exactly the behavior I described as no longer working for me.
>  means the same thing as holding down Ctrl
> before pressing the middle mouse button.
> 

In my experience, holding a key down *before* another action does not
always work the same as performing both actions simultaneously, so I
did not think that these "meant the same thing".
Can you call up the Main options, and Font menus using buttons 1 and 2?

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/20201211035616.GA2119%40thirdeyesecurity.org.


Re: [qubes-users] Re: Can no longer copy text from xterm by default

2020-12-10 Thread Andrew David Wong

On 12/10/20 12:23 PM, Ulrich Windl wrote:

On 12/10/20 3:49 AM, Andrew David Wong wrote:
I used to be able to be able to do the following to copy text from 
xterm in Fedora and Debian VMs:


1. Select/highlight the desired text, thereby inserting it into the 
PRIMARY buffer.


2. Press  in order to bring up a menu (I 
think it was the "VT Options" menu).


3. In this menu, select the option to copy text from the PRIMARY 
buffer to that VM's local clipboard.


4. Press  to copy text to the Qubes inter-VM 
clipboard and proceed as usual.


However, some time ago, step 2 suddenly stopped working, and I have no 
idea why. Pressing  in xterm now does 
nothing, as far as I can tell. I've checked my trackpad/mouse 
settings, and everything seems fine and unchanged. I've tried pressing 
the left and right mouse buttons simultaneously instead, but nothing.


I know that I can probably create custom xterm settings that will 
allow me to copy text, but I'd still like to know whether there's a 
way to do it by default for cases in which the VM is uncustomized. 
Does anyone know if there is such a way?


I never used that, but here for the fedora-32 template it works.
I think you can override bindings inside the app via X resources, but my 
suspect is that the window manager "captures" the mouse or key event, so 
it does not arrive at the terminal any more.




I'm confused. You say it's working in the Fedora 32 template for you, 
yet you also say the key event is captured, so it's not arriving at the 
terminal anymore. How can it be working for you if the key event is 
being captured by the window manager?


--
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/2698c646-e2a6-725f-e80f-1d1568ef0f77%40qubes-os.org.


OpenPGP_signature
Description: OpenPGP digital signature


Re: [qubes-users] Can no longer copy text from xterm by default

2020-12-10 Thread Andrew David Wong

On 12/10/20 6:25 AM, unman wrote:

On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 06:49:35PM -0800, Andrew David Wong wrote:

I used to be able to be able to do the following to copy text from xterm in
Fedora and Debian VMs:

1. Select/highlight the desired text, thereby inserting it into the PRIMARY
buffer.

2. Press  in order to bring up a menu (I think
it was the "VT Options" menu).

3. In this menu, select the option to copy text from the PRIMARY buffer to
that VM's local clipboard.

4. Press  to copy text to the Qubes inter-VM clipboard and
proceed as usual.

However, some time ago, step 2 suddenly stopped working, and I have no idea
why. Pressing  in xterm now does nothing, as far
as I can tell. I've checked my trackpad/mouse settings, and everything seems
fine and unchanged. I've tried pressing the left and right mouse buttons
simultaneously instead, but nothing.

I know that I can probably create custom xterm settings that will allow me
to copy text, but I'd still like to know whether there's a way to do it by
default for cases in which the VM is uncustomized. Does anyone know if there
is such a way?



On Debian you can hold down the Ctrl key before pressing the button, to get the
VT options menu. See if that works for you. Does for me.



No, that's exactly the behavior I described as no longer working for me. 
 means the same thing as holding down Ctrl 
before pressing the middle mouse button.


--
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/62196a62-e0f3-e5ea-f112-1c728723dcb7%40qubes-os.org.


OpenPGP_signature
Description: OpenPGP digital signature


Re: [qubes-users] How to attach private storage from one AppVM to another AppVM (LVM)?

2020-12-10 Thread unman
On Mon, Dec 07, 2020 at 07:59:36AM -0800, 'heinrich...@googlemail.com' via 
qubes-users wrote:
> sshfs sounds great since this probably allows me to also select the folders 
> I want to share with the SMALL AppVM instead of revealing all files.
> 
> Thanks for taking the time to look into this and I'm looking forward to the 
> push :)
> 

Somewhat belatedly, pushed this morning.
Let me know how you get on.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/20201211021427.GA1688%40thirdeyesecurity.org.


[qubes-users] Re: Can no longer copy text from xterm by default

2020-12-10 Thread Ulrich Windl

On 12/10/20 3:49 AM, Andrew David Wong wrote:
I used to be able to be able to do the following to copy text from xterm 
in Fedora and Debian VMs:


1. Select/highlight the desired text, thereby inserting it into the 
PRIMARY buffer.


2. Press  in order to bring up a menu (I 
think it was the "VT Options" menu).


3. In this menu, select the option to copy text from the PRIMARY buffer 
to that VM's local clipboard.


4. Press  to copy text to the Qubes inter-VM clipboard 
and proceed as usual.


However, some time ago, step 2 suddenly stopped working, and I have no 
idea why. Pressing  in xterm now does 
nothing, as far as I can tell. I've checked my trackpad/mouse settings, 
and everything seems fine and unchanged. I've tried pressing the left 
and right mouse buttons simultaneously instead, but nothing.


I know that I can probably create custom xterm settings that will allow 
me to copy text, but I'd still like to know whether there's a way to do 
it by default for cases in which the VM is uncustomized. Does anyone 
know if there is such a way?


I never used that, but here for the fedora-32 template it works.
I think you can override bindings inside the app via X resources, but my 
suspect is that the window manager "captures" the mouse or key event, so 
it does not arrive at the terminal any more.


Regards,
Ulrich


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/ab18f043-3355-ca0a-4a42-e0e16b209cc8%40rz.uni-regensburg.de.


Re: [EXT] [qubes-users] How to attach private storage from one AppVM to another AppVM (LVM)?

2020-12-10 Thread Ulrich Windl

On 12/7/20 3:56 PM, 'heinrich...@googlemail.com' via qubes-users wrote:
 From one AppVM I need to temporarily access a large amount of files 
from another AppVM. Can this be done without copying the files around?


_Background: _
I have a large amount of files stored in AppVM "BIG". That's hundreds of 
GB in a separate pool on a spinning HDD.
I also have a small AppVM "SMALL" running a program that needs to access 
files from "BIG". This AppVM resides on a small SSD.


In the past I copied files from BIG to SMALL. But this takes time and I 
need to sort the files beforehand because there is not enough space on 
the SSD. I don't want to do that anymore. It would be okay to allow 
AppVM "SMALL" to access files from "BIG"'s private storage directly.


Googling around tells me to mount "private.img", but I'm using LVM so 
that's not an option. But how can this be done? Can it be done? (Or is 
there even a better "file sharing" approach for this amount of data 
without having to revert to a NAS?)


Any tips are appreciated.


Actually I have not done it, but it feels like you should have an NFS 
server on BIG with a network only accessible from inside qubes, and 
specifically from SMALL. Still it will have to transfer the file 
contents, but you benefit from any application that only reads parts of 
the files.


When not wanting to copy I guess you'll have to mount a snapshot of 
BIG's data as the LV should be mounted only once (AFAIK).


Regards,
Ulrich



(I'm on Qubes OS v4 latest)

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
Groups "qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send 
an email to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com 
.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/5d42e07f-9170-4504-bbc4-d638d2403cfcn%40googlegroups.com 
.


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/cba7cb41-5a2e-e283-e941-96c8db156d19%40rz.uni-regensburg.de.


[qubes-users] creating openvpn on sys-vpn

2020-12-10 Thread evo

Hey there!
i try to get work openvpn on a standalone debian sys-vpn, but after 
installing of openvpn, i can not see it in the network manager. So what 
could be wrong?


Regards
evo

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/153cdab6-d99c-58b8-b416-098d531ba253%40aliaks.de.


OpenPGP_signature
Description: OpenPGP digital signature


[qubes-users] HCL - DELL Precission M6800 A26

2020-12-10 Thread 'Sergey Bezugliy' via qubes-users




--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/137ec322-93f5-a1a6-d939-1c1deb72be54%40codenv.top.


Qubes-HCL-Dell_Inc_-Precision_M6800-20201210-162910.cpio.gz
Description: application/gzip


Qubes-HCL-Dell_Inc_-Precision_M6800-20201210-162910.yml
Description: application/yaml


Re: [qubes-users] Can no longer copy text from xterm by default

2020-12-10 Thread unman
On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 06:49:35PM -0800, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> I used to be able to be able to do the following to copy text from xterm in
> Fedora and Debian VMs:
> 
> 1. Select/highlight the desired text, thereby inserting it into the PRIMARY
> buffer.
> 
> 2. Press  in order to bring up a menu (I think
> it was the "VT Options" menu).
> 
> 3. In this menu, select the option to copy text from the PRIMARY buffer to
> that VM's local clipboard.
> 
> 4. Press  to copy text to the Qubes inter-VM clipboard and
> proceed as usual.
> 
> However, some time ago, step 2 suddenly stopped working, and I have no idea
> why. Pressing  in xterm now does nothing, as far
> as I can tell. I've checked my trackpad/mouse settings, and everything seems
> fine and unchanged. I've tried pressing the left and right mouse buttons
> simultaneously instead, but nothing.
> 
> I know that I can probably create custom xterm settings that will allow me
> to copy text, but I'd still like to know whether there's a way to do it by
> default for cases in which the VM is uncustomized. Does anyone know if there
> is such a way?
> 

On Debian you can hold down the Ctrl key before pressing the button, to get the
VT options menu. See if that works for you. Does for me.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/20201210142524.GA30523%40thirdeyesecurity.org.


[qubes-users] HCL - DELL Precission M6800 A26

2020-12-10 Thread 'Sergey Bezugliy' via qubes-users



--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/c8994821-23c3-c3e6-124b-0e8b6e5746af%40codenv.top.


Qubes-HCL-Dell_Inc_-Precision_M6800-20201210-160916.yml
Description: application/yaml