Re: [sqlite] Question about SQLite features.

2010-11-12 Thread Ian Hardingham
Haha! Sqlite is embedded by others. It NEVER embeds. - Original message - > > On Nov 10, 2010, at 11:05 AM, Andy Gibbs wrote: > > > > That's I don't know SQLite have stored procedure support? > > > > > > > How're your C skills? > > Or perhaps SQLite should embed Lua [1] as its

[sqlite] Strange corruptions

2010-11-12 Thread Pirmin Walthert
Hello I'm working on a CPE project where we use sqlite for configuration storage. We develop our own firmware which is based on uclibc and busybox. We never had troubles with the sqlite-databases during the first 1.5 years (kernel 2.6.27 series, uclibc 0.9.30, busybox 1.14.1, sqlite up to

Re: [sqlite] Strange corruptions

2010-11-12 Thread Simon Slavin
On 12 Nov 2010, at 7:55am, Pirmin Walthert wrote: > Some months ago we changed to uclibc-git (nptl support), kernel > 2.6.32.X, busybox > 1.16 and at the moment sqlite 3.7.2. Are you accessing your databases straight from a hard disk or across a network mount ? Please tell us the filing

Re: [sqlite] Question about SQLite features.

2010-11-12 Thread Olaf Schmidt
"Chris Wolf" schrieb > I can't resist adding my little opinion to yet another > "business logic in stored procs vs. app layer" holy war... ... yeah, seems this thread is evolving nicely in this regard ... > I usually prefer keeping the business logic in the application > layer and leaving the

Re: [sqlite] Strange corruptions

2010-11-12 Thread Pirmin Walthert
Am 12.11.2010 13:06, schrieb Simon Slavin: > On 12 Nov 2010, at 7:55am, Pirmin Walthert wrote: > >> Some months ago we changed to uclibc-git (nptl support), kernel >> 2.6.32.X, busybox> 1.16 and at the moment sqlite 3.7.2. > Are you accessing your databases straight from a hard disk or across a

Re: [sqlite] Question about SQLite features.

2010-11-12 Thread Chris Wolf
Olaf Schmidt wrote: > "Chris Wolf" schrieb > > >> I can't resist adding my little opinion to yet another >> "business logic in stored procs vs. app layer" holy war... >> > > ... yeah, seems this thread is evolving nicely in this > regard ... > > >> I usually prefer keeping the

Re: [sqlite] Strange corruptions

2010-11-12 Thread Simon Slavin
On 12 Nov 2010, at 12:42pm, Pirmin Walthert wrote: > Both (the one with the source and the one with the dst database) are > local (ext3 loopback fs). I doubt that it has to do with the FS because > if do the following, the same thing happen That's fine. I was just testing out a current

Re: [sqlite] Strange corruptions

2010-11-12 Thread Black, Michael (IS)
Do a "sum" on the files to make sure they are identical. #1 Show all the files in the directorty #2 How are you copying? Basically...show us ALL the commands and files you are using... Michael D. Black Senior Scientist Advanced Analytics Directorate Northrop Grumman Information Systems

Re: [sqlite] Strange corruptions

2010-11-12 Thread Pirmin Walthert
Am 12.11.2010 14:19, schrieb Black, Michael (IS): > Do a "sum" on the files to make sure they are identical. > > #1 Show all the files in the directorty > #2 How are you copying? > > Basically...show us ALL the commands and files you are using... > > > Michael D. Black > Senior Scientist >

[sqlite] Stored procedures (was: Question about SQLite features.)

2010-11-12 Thread BareFeetWare
On 12/11/2010, at 6:30 AM, Olaf Schmidt wrote: > "jeff archer" schrieb >> From: "Olaf Schmidt" >> Wednesday, November 10, 2010 9:07:19 AM >> >>> [Stored procedures in SQLite] >>> >>> IMO stored procedure-support only makes sense in "Server-Instances" which >>> run on their own... > >> I

Re: [sqlite] Question about SQLite features.

2010-11-12 Thread jeff archer
I hope this doesn't get posted twice.  I don't think it will since I sent form wrong account first time.  Sorry. >From: "Kees Nuyt" >Thursday, November 11, 2010 10:34:51 AM >  >Stored procedures don't enforce business rules by >themselves. Constraints and triggers do. >To

Re: [sqlite] INSERT OR UPDATE

2010-11-12 Thread BareFeetWare
On 10/11/2010, at 7:19 PM, Michele Pradella wrote: > In-Reply-To: <4cda28ea.5030...@gmail.com> Firstly, please start a post to this mail list as a new message, not a reply to a previous unrelated message. That's known as "thread hijacking" and confuses discussions. > Hi all, I have to

[sqlite] btreeInitPage() returns error code 11

2010-11-12 Thread Wilson, Ronald
I've got a 500 mb database with one table that I set up to log system information over night and I arrive this morning to find this situation. The database was generated on windows using vbscript and the sqliteodbc driver based on sqlite 3.7.2. Do I have any hope of recovery? SQLite version

Re: [sqlite] btreeInitPage() returns error code 11

2010-11-12 Thread Richard Hipp
On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Wilson, Ronald wrote: > I've got a 500 mb database with one table that I set up to log system > information over night and I arrive this morning to find this situation. > The database was generated on windows using vbscript and the

Re: [sqlite] btreeInitPage() returns error code 11

2010-11-12 Thread Wilson, Ronald
> > I've got a 500 mb database with one table that I set up to log system > > information over night and I arrive this morning to find this situation. > > The database was generated on windows using vbscript and the sqliteodbc > > driver based on sqlite 3.7.2. Do I have any hope of recovery? >

Re: [sqlite] Ratio of test code to database code

2010-11-12 Thread Dr. David Kirkby
On 11/11/10 02:32 PM, Simon Slavin wrote: > > On 11 Nov 2010, at 1:41pm, Dr. David Kirkby wrote: > >> On 11/10/10 04:28 PM, Roger Binns wrote: >> >>> The SQLite developers decided their library will always be reliable and >>> greatly care about data integrity hence the amount of testing. >> >> I

Re: [sqlite] Database deleted from file system while other open connections exist.

2010-11-12 Thread Dennis Suehr
Simon, Many thanks for your prompt and thorough response. Just a couple of follow-up questions if I may: Firstly, a bit more background information. The system will be running on Linux (kernel > 2.6.0) and all accesses to the database will be via local disk (ext3 or similar). 1) I appreciate

Re: [sqlite] uncertainty how load_extension is supposed to work

2010-11-12 Thread Richard Hipp
On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Chris Wolf wrote: > I tried to explicitly load an extension via: > > sqlite> select load_extension('mylib'); > SQL error: no such function: load_extension > Use the ".load" command in the sqlite3.exe command-line shell. > > > Is this

Re: [sqlite] Question about SQLite features.

2010-11-12 Thread Petite Abeille
On Nov 11, 2010, at 9:38 PM, Ian Hardingham wrote: > Haha! Sqlite is embedded by others. It NEVER embeds. SQLite's tagline of the week :P ___ sqlite-users mailing list sqlite-users@sqlite.org

[sqlite] uncertainty how load_extension is supposed to work

2010-11-12 Thread Chris Wolf
I tried to explicitly load an extension via: sqlite> select load_extension('mylib'); SQL error: no such function: load_extension Is this because of the default setting of "enable_load_extension"? http://www.sqlite.org/c3ref/enable_load_extension.html If so, does that mean we can't use the

Re: [sqlite] Database deleted from file system while other open connections exist.

2010-11-12 Thread Pavel Ivanov
> However, I am surprised that it does not at least possess a > list of all open handles to a given database.  If I had that, then I could > close all DB connections either before the delete or after.  Are you sure > that such a list does not exist? If SQLite was able to obtain such list (not in

[sqlite] File Locking And Concurrency In SQLite Version 3

2010-11-12 Thread Prakash Reddy Bande
Hello, I want to use sqlite as a db on a shared network drive (windows) (user would map the network drive to say T:). I read the documentation section "File Locking And Concurrency In SQLite Version 3" (http://www.sqlite.org/lockingv3.html) Where following is clearly mentioned: "SQLite uses

Re: [sqlite] Database deleted from file system while other open connections exist.

2010-11-12 Thread Simon Slavin
On 12 Nov 2010, at 4:44pm, Dennis Suehr wrote: > Firstly, a bit more background information. The system will be running on > Linux (kernel > 2.6.0) and all accesses to the database will be via local > disk (ext3 or similar). This allows me to be a little more precise about my answers, I

Re: [sqlite] Constraint name?

2010-11-12 Thread Petite Abeille
On Nov 12, 2010, at 7:20 AM, Roger Binns wrote: >> A ticket that has been open on this topic since January 2006. > > Oops, forgot to paste: > > http://www.sqlite.org/src/tktview?name=23b2128201 Thanks for that. Since 2006? High priority indeed :) That said, maybe SQLite has reached a point

Re: [sqlite] File Locking And Concurrency In SQLite Version 3

2010-11-12 Thread Simon Slavin
On 12 Nov 2010, at 5:58pm, Prakash Reddy Bande wrote: > My question: Is it possible to verify if the network drive on which the DB is > place can be used? Great question. Unfortunately LockFile() generally does /not/ work. If you want to perform a check there are too many combinations of

Re: [sqlite] Ratio of test code to database code

2010-11-12 Thread Simon Slavin
On 12 Nov 2010, at 4:25pm, Dr. David Kirkby wrote: > I think in general mathematical software like Sage is very difficult to test. Yes, I read your response and agree with this. But it's worth pointing out that commercial maths applications like MatLab /do/ have testing like that. That's

Re: [sqlite] SQLITE3 - sqlite3_step bug?

2010-11-12 Thread Richard Hipp
On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 1:06 PM, David Levinson wrote: > I have an 11GB database and when I attempt to query the database for the > max(column) value the code within sqlite3_step() gets stuck in a loop for > hours and hours and never seems to return. > > > > Do you know

Re: [sqlite] uncertainty how load_extension is supposed to work

2010-11-12 Thread Roger Binns
-BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE- Hash: SHA1 On 11/12/2010 09:08 AM, Chris Wolf wrote: > If so, does that mean we can't use the out-of-the box shell and must > re-compile with a 'C' code change to invoke this? If that's true, why wasn't > this > simply controlled via an environment variable?

Re: [sqlite] Constraint name?

2010-11-12 Thread Roger Binns
-BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE- Hash: SHA1 On 11/12/2010 10:04 AM, Petite Abeille wrote: > Thanks for that. Since 2006? High priority indeed :) That the ticket averages a small number of comments per year is an indication that perhaps its priority is about right. Many other ticket tracking

Re: [sqlite] Strange corruptions

2010-11-12 Thread Pirmin Walthert
Am 12.11.2010 14:40, schrieb Pirmin Walthert: > Am 12.11.2010 14:19, schrieb Black, Michael (IS): >> Do a "sum" on the files to make sure they are identical. >> >> #1 Show all the files in the directorty >> #2 How are you copying? >> >> Basically...show us ALL the commands and files you are

Re: [sqlite] Ratio of test code to database code

2010-11-12 Thread Samuel Adam
On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 13:09:07 -0500, Simon Slavin wrote: > On 12 Nov 2010, at 4:25pm, Dr. David Kirkby wrote: > >> I think in general mathematical software like Sage is very difficult to >> test. > > Yes, I read your response and agree with this. But it's worth pointing

Re: [sqlite] Constraint name?

2010-11-12 Thread Petite Abeille
On Nov 12, 2010, at 8:18 PM, Roger Binns wrote: > Your definition of "proper" appears to be some ISO standard :-) Nah, not specially fond of that ISO standard, more for illustration purpose really. > SQLite's approach is certainly acceptable to most (evidence: if not > there would be a lot of

Re: [sqlite] File Locking And Concurrency In SQLite Version 3

2010-11-12 Thread Prakash Reddy Bande
Hi, Thanks for the response. That is what I was planning to do, i.e. write some code that does the verification before I call sqlite3_open. However, I am not sure what code should I write. I mean the code I write to do the verification should be a representation of what sqlite3 does. Regards,

[sqlite] Busy handler not called

2010-11-12 Thread Prakash Reddy Bande
Hi, I have set a busy handler. int ret = sqlite3_open(dbname.c_str(), _ppDb); sqlite3_busy_handler(m_ppDb, , 0); However it is not getting called. Here is what I am doing: 1. Using the sqlite3.exe run the following commands begin transaction; update users set name="hello" 2. Note I have not

Re: [sqlite] Busy handler not called

2010-11-12 Thread Pavel Ivanov
> int ret = sqlite3_exec(m_ppDb, query.c_str(), , , > ); > > I get SQLITE_BUSY and hwLMsqlite3BusyHandler is not getting called. What query do you use? Pavel On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Prakash Reddy Bande wrote: > Hi, > > I have set a busy handler. > > int ret =

Re: [sqlite] Busy handler not called

2010-11-12 Thread Prakash Reddy Bande
Hi, Basically I am doing the same query i.e. int ret = sqlite3_exec(m_ppDb, "begin transaction", , , ); int ret = sqlite3_exec(m_ppDb, "update users set name=\"something\"", , , ); The second one return SQLITE_BUSY as expected (since begin transaction does no locking as per documentation of

Re: [sqlite] is it really ok to allow non-aggregates in an aggregate line?

2010-11-12 Thread Alexey Pechnikov
2010/11/11 Drake Wilson > > It looks like you're right, and the resulting row selected is only > arbitrary (though often the one with the largest rowid). This > suggests that unless I'm misunderstanding the comparison, comparing > SQLite's behavior of permitting this type of

Re: [sqlite] is it really ok to allow non-aggregates in an aggregate line?

2010-11-12 Thread Nicolas Williams
On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 09:39:44AM -0400, Richard Hipp wrote: > On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 8:19 AM, wrote: > > > I made an error in my SQL when I did not include one of my non-aggregate > > columns in my group. I was surprised that Sqlite did not catch this, and > > even

Re: [sqlite] Stored procedures (was: Question about SQLite features.)

2010-11-12 Thread Olaf Schmidt
"BareFeetWare" schrieb > On 12/11/2010, at 6:30 AM, Olaf Schmidt wrote: > > > "jeff archer" schrieb > >> From: "Olaf Schmidt" > >> Wednesday, November 10, 2010 9:07:19 AM > >> > >>> [Stored procedures in SQLite] > >>> > >>> IMO stored procedure-support only makes > >>> sense in

Re: [sqlite] Stored procedures (was: Question about SQLite features.)

2010-11-12 Thread Scott Hess
On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 5:50 AM, BareFeetWare wrote: > IMO, if you're implementing database logic (ie constraints and triggers) in > application code, then you're reinventing the wheel, making your package > unnecessarily complex and grossly inefficient. If you're just

Re: [sqlite] Busy handler not called

2010-11-12 Thread Jay A. Kreibich
On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 04:51:11PM -0500, Prakash Reddy Bande scratched on the wall: > Hi, > > I have set a busy handler. > > int ret = sqlite3_open(dbname.c_str(), _ppDb); > sqlite3_busy_handler(m_ppDb, , 0); > > However it is not getting called. As the docs for sqlite3_busy_handler()

Re: [sqlite] Question about SQLite features.

2010-11-12 Thread Olaf Schmidt
"Chris Wolf" schrieb [Nested Recordsets/Resultsets as an alternative to Joins, to "shape-off" redundancy in "hierarchical requests"... as a native DB-Feature usable over Sybase StoredProcs... ...and the ADO-ShapeProvider as an example for an alternative to use "these things" in a

[sqlite] improvement for the shell

2010-11-12 Thread Dave Dyer
The standard shell behaves very badly if you accidentally select some BLOB data or excessively long strings. I recommend this change: #define MAX_STRING_SIZE 200 static void cautious_print_string(FILE *f,char *str) { char buffer[MAX_STRING_SIZE+3]; int i; int exit = 0;

[sqlite] proxy locking

2010-11-12 Thread Dave Dyer
Suppose you have a sqlite DB which might be accessed over a network, and might also be accessed locally. My understanding is that it would be disastrous if one client used proxy locking and the other did not - there would effectively be no lock. The "prefer proxy locking" logic has a strange

Re: [sqlite] Stored procedures

2010-11-12 Thread BareFeetWare
On 13/11/2010, at 10:33 AM, Olaf Schmidt wrote: From: "Olaf Schmidt" Wednesday, November 10, 2010 9:07:19 AM >>> There was a somewhat similar sounding post (from BareFeetWare, >>> sent on 20.Oct to this list) who also encouraged, to include >>> "more logic" into the SQLite-Files

[sqlite] SQL code vs application code (was: Stored procedures, was: Question about SQLite features.)

2010-11-12 Thread BareFeetWare
On 13/11/2010, at 11:14 AM, Scott Hess wrote: > On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 5:50 AM, BareFeetWare > wrote: >> IMO, if you're implementing database logic (ie constraints and triggers) in >> application code, then you're reinventing the wheel, making your package >>

Re: [sqlite] Busy handler not called

2010-11-12 Thread Prakash Reddy Bande
Hi, Got it. I did read this, but probably did not understand very well. Yes, it makes sense why busy handler is not called. May be it is a good idea to site some examples in the documentation... Regards, Prakash Bande Altair Engg. Inc. Troy MI Ph: 248-614-2400 ext 489 Cell: 248-404-0292

Re: [sqlite] improvement for the shell

2010-11-12 Thread Roger Binns
-BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE- Hash: SHA1 On 11/12/2010 04:46 PM, Dave Dyer wrote: > The standard shell behaves very badly if you accidentally > select some BLOB data or excessively long strings. I recommend > this change: You are free to change your copy and to redistribute that change in

Re: [sqlite] Stored procedures

2010-11-12 Thread Olaf Schmidt
"BareFeetWare" schrieb > On 13/11/2010, at 10:33 AM, Olaf Schmidt wrote: > >> If you have code (in either environment) that is > >> looping or grabbing one result and sticking it in a > >> second query, then your approach is probably flawed. > > > > As you say: "probably" ... because "it