[freenet-support] Re: Revver.com activation email

2005-10-07 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Ian Clarke wrote: Steve Jurvetson wrote: >> Welcome jurvetson! >> Your password is: zok18wod. Ee! Why would anyone need a privacy tool of any kind under such circumstances? Z -- The best defence against logic is ignorance. The next best is stupidity. Both can be used simultaneously.

Re: [freenet-support] Re: Revver.com activation email

2005-10-06 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Ian Clarke wrote: Steve Jurvetson wrote: Welcome jurvetson! snip Your password is: zok18wod. Ee! Why would anyone need a privacy tool of any kind under such circumstances? Z -- The best defence against logic is ignorance. The next best is stupidity. Both can be used simultaneously.

Re: [freenet-support] RE: anonymity(NOT)

2004-08-05 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Matthew Findley wrote: Let me see if I can get caught up on whats gone on since I left work. Oh, you were posting on your employer's time? I personally believe in the presumed innocent until proven guilty, so rather than assuming you guilty of misusing your work time for private activities, I'll

Re: [freenet-support] RE: anonymity(NOT)

2004-08-05 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Paul wrote: What country does respect freedoms? The US is getting to the point where emgrating becomes a serious consideration for me. I lived in Greece during the 1967-1974 dictatorship. Later I've lived in England, in Germany, in Sweden and the Netherlands. Of all these countries, Greece is the

[freenet-support] Showdown at the Freenode Coral

2004-08-05 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Mr Matthew Findley You made certain claims on this list regarding the possible penal consequences of running a freenet node. I challenged you to provide law and/or precedent references to support your claims. You failed to do so. In fact, you silently ignored this challenge. I also challenged you

Re: [freenet-support] Request for help: Stable reset

2004-08-04 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Mailed this from the wrong address - it got caught for moderator approval. Please don't approve that posting. Toad wrote: Anyone who wants in on the new stable network before it is officially rolled out, please contact me, and get the new seednodes and jar file from:

Re: [freenet-support] anonymity(NOT)

2004-08-04 Thread Zenon Panoussis
miguel wrote: Just wondering... with all this encryption permeating Freenet there remains a gaping hole through which the nazi's could saunter through with their spy tools and legal bypasses to incriminate any and all Freenetters they choose to incriminate... the ip address/port# of all. Even

Re: [freenet-support] anonymity(NOT)

2004-08-04 Thread Zenon Panoussis
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: As for the uploader Willful blindness can not protect you if it can be shown that you had a reasonable suspicion to believe they you are committing a crime. In fact in some cases a deliberate attempt to not obtain knowledge is proof of that knowledge. In my village,

Re: [freenet-support] anonymity(NOT)

2004-08-04 Thread Zenon Panoussis
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: They do have a choice, nothing is forcing them to run freenet. It doesn't matter that they can't see exactly what their node is doing, but only the fact that they know what their node is probably doing. If someone gives you a package in Mexico and ask you to carry it

Re: [freenet-support] anonymity(NOT)

2004-08-04 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Toad wrote: Or something like that. The real and ever-present danger against freenet is not in your IP being shown to your peers. It is in (a) the integrity of its developers and (b) in the security of the software archive. If the latter ever gets compromised, we might all end up running a piece

Re: [freenet-support] anonymity(NOT)

2004-08-04 Thread Zenon Panoussis
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: That's because ISPs/Mail are protected by common carrier laws, you are not. They pass laws that specifically say that if a company is incorporated as a common carrier, then the items (or data) they transport aren't their responsibility. Do you have a pointer to those

Re: Security precautions, CVS commit mails was Re: [freenet-support] anonymity(NOT)

2004-08-04 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Toad wrote: You have taken extraordinary measures to protect against [the ftp server being hacked], haven't you? Umm, measures such as..? I don't see how you can defend against the above, really. Well, first of all the elementary stuff. No other services on the same machine. You don't want your

Re: [freenet-support] anonymity(NOT)

2004-08-04 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Edward J. Huff wrote: That is up to each node operator. Failure to block some content -- like mp3's -- is a lot less serious than failure to block other content -- like kp. The node operator might decide to take the risk in the name of civil disobedience for some content but not other.

Re: [freenet-support] anonymity(NOT)

2004-08-04 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Ian Clarke wrote: s/does/does not $ Error: open second argument to s Z -- Framtiden är som en babianröv, färggrann och full av skit. Arne Anka ___ Support mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Re: [freenet-support] anonymity(NOT)

2004-08-04 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Toad wrote: IANAL (BIKAF), but I would expect that for ignorance to be willful it can't be a side-effect of a goal, it must be a goal in itself. There are plenty of reasons why someone might want to use Freenet other than obtaining illegal content. The problem is that ignorance is indeed a

Re: Security precautions, CVS commit mails was Re: [freenet-support] anonymity(NOT)

2004-08-04 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Toad wrote: The fundamental issues revolve around changes to source code. Only in theory. In practice, the source code only affects your reputation. The binary code affects the users. If you only protect the source code (which is also what might get reviewed at some point or other), you will only

[freenet-support] F*cked-up releases

2004-07-30 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Just to sing a different tune than the one everyone else is singing, I upgraded to 5088 last night and it seems to work relatively well. The load is considerably higher than with 5084 and the same configuration but, as far I can see without studying logs, everything works as it should. Perhaps

Re: [freenet-support] In need of opinions and ideas

2004-07-23 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Nicholas Sturm wrote: Has anyone figured out what he had for lunch. The schmerk is almost missing in his salute picture in the USA Today shot by AFP. Does that stand for Air Force Photograph. I didn't say gone, just almost missing. What's a schmerk? Agence France Presse. Z -- Framtiden är som

Re: [freenet-support] In need of opinions and ideas

2004-07-22 Thread Zenon Panoussis
S wrote: I don't really agree with the idea that such a pr0xy would bring exposure or users to Freenet. Joe Surfer, upon finding your gatewayed content in Google, is going to click through, access the content, and move on, not realizing that he's ventured beyond the confines of the normal web.

Re: [freenet-support] In need of opinions and ideas

2004-07-22 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Toad wrote: Well, this contradics what you just wrote above. If you are right on this point, then your fears about thousands of users leeching and burdening freenet without giving anything back are unfounded already because of this, even disregarding my arguments above. Or vice versa. Of course,

Re: [freenet-support] In need of opinions and ideas

2004-07-22 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Toad wrote: They are not indexed by google because by default fproxy sends a robots.txt indicating that it shouldn't be spidered. Aaah, I see. That explains S' comment too. Well, current legislation does not require me to learn java, but it does not forbid me to either ;) [prosecutor's block

Re: [freenet-support] In need of opinions and ideas

2004-07-22 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Toad wrote: They are not indexed by google because by default fproxy sends a robots.txt indicating that it shouldn't be spidered. Aaah, I see. That explains S' comment too. Well, current legislation does not require me to learn java, but it does not forbid me to either ;) [prosecutor's block

Re: [freenet-support] error while opening freesites

2004-07-22 Thread Zenon Panoussis
M. Seredszun wrote: Couldn't retrieve key: [EMAIL PROTECTED]/BPC/3//* Hops To Live: *15* Error: *Route Not Found* Can you help me Pls ? Keep trying. It's out here, it's loading alright at https://81.169.159.148:8080/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/BPC/3// but it's slow. If nothing helps, download

Re: [freenet-support] Load

2004-07-21 Thread Zenon Panoussis
David Masover wrote: Of course, if you don't own your own computer, how can you trust it? One-way trust. Suppose my bro trusts me, but I don't trust him, I have root, and he wants Freenet. You don't need root to run it and it's probably a good idea to not run it as root even when you are

[freenet-support] Key harvester

2004-07-21 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Alright, here's an o p e n f r e e n e t p r o x y (anti- Google syntax): https://8 1 . 1 6 9 . 1 5 9 . 1 4 8 :8080/ I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who cares to play with it and/or attempt to break it. I am particularly interested in unlinked/undocumented FProxy functions which I should

Re: [freenet-support] Key harvester

2004-07-21 Thread Zenon Panoussis
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: It could be that I have yet to even browse my own proxy successfully. but I tried your site, and received a good 'ol -- Bad Gateway The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server. I restarted it two minutes ago, you must have hit it right then. Try

Re: [freenet-support] Key harvester

2004-07-21 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Toad wrote: Seems a bit flaky. Every so often I get an Apache error. Forbidden You don't have permission to access /[EMAIL PROTECTED],aAEwN5~NVmuIvZdfqlORxg/BSIT/20// on this server. Ugh. Sometimes logging serves better purposes than policing. I can't see what went wrong there. I do have some

Re: [freenet-support] Key harvester

2004-07-21 Thread Zenon Panoussis
I wrote: I do have some mod_rewrite rules in the proxy configuration in order to protect status info etc, but this shouldn't have been caught by them, unless the original URI contained a query string, i.e. server:port/something?someother . That was it; there was a query string date=some_date.

Re: [freenet-support] Key harvester

2004-07-21 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Toad wrote: Is there a list somewhere of the query strings used? For fproxy: ?key=key ?htl=number ?linkhtl=number ?mime=mime type ?date=date ?rdate=true|false ?force=short hex cookie Probably there are more for the splitfile servlet. I was trying to block access to ?setSimpleAdvancedMode=mode,

Re: [freenet-support] Connection/Routing problems?

2004-07-21 Thread Zenon Panoussis
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: ***A couple problems so far.. All 4 sessions, It doesn't even appear to be able to access the default ... never-fail site.. however there is a ton of traffic, so i KNOW its finding nodes out there. I suspect something with your firewall. What does it block? Can you make it

[freenet-support] In need of opinions and ideas

2004-07-21 Thread Zenon Panoussis
The whole load/logging/key harvesting discussion I started here a couple of days ago originated from my wish to make freenet searchable, especially to the non-freenet world. So I installed an open p r o x y in order to harvest keys, so that I could set up a search engine. What I only realised

[freenet-support] Load

2004-07-19 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Hello everyone. I started a node on a machine with lots of bandwidth and a very lousy I/O subsystem. Not much else is going on on the machine, so without freenet the load is steadily between 0.01 and 0.10. When freenet runs, the load is constantly around 3.50, with peaks reaching well above 5.00.

Re: [freenet-support] Load

2004-07-19 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Roger Oksanen wrote: I run freenet niced at +10 on a 2x500MHz computer, load stays at 2-3 all the time. Ah yes, I forgot to mention that. It's niced at 19. Beats me how something that's niced 19 can bring the load to 5.00, but that's a different issue. I suspect the problem you have lies in the

Re: [freenet-support] Load

2004-07-19 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Toad wrote: Strange. What is your logLevel ? Well, that's relative. The log level is set to debug, but the log file is a FIFO, where a simple perl script greps for URIs and dumps the rest. My idea was to feed those URIs to mnogosearch and create a non-anonymous search engine fo freenet. Won't make

Re: [freenet-support] Load

2004-07-19 Thread Zenon Panoussis
Toad wrote: The thing is, the lack of search capabilities reduces the useability of freenet Of course. There are ways to implement search, however. Sooner or later somebody will implement a good spider based anonymous search. I searched a bit on the web. At

Re: [freenet-support] Load

2004-07-19 Thread Zenon Panoussis
I wrote: Taking what you say here for granted, the entire discussion up to this point is probably a meaningless exchange based on some misunderstanding on my part. But what? [URIs from logs] Would be interested to see some of this list. Duh. So am I by now, but with all the messing around