[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2017-10-26 Thread Bug Watch Updater
Launchpad has imported 5 comments from the remote bug at https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1373326. If you reply to an imported comment from within Launchpad, your comment will be sent to the remote bug automatically. Read more about Launchpad's inter-bugtracker facilities at

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-11-15 Thread Barry Warsaw
This has returned for Zesty. LP: #1641976 -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1627198 Title: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM To manage notifications about this bug go

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-10-17 Thread cfz
seems disabling the thermald.service is a walk around i'm using 4.8.0-22-generic #24-Ubuntu SMP Sat Oct 8 09:15:00 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-10-17 Thread Grief
@timg-tpi: Got it! Thanks for the explanation. As I said, I've compiled the kernel on my own, so don't worry :) But looks like a lack of testing before the release -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-10-17 Thread Tim Gardner
Grief - mainline only gets built when upstream Linux changes, hence the reason for this stale config which we've since changed in the distro kernel. I've requested a mainline rebuild which should complete presently. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs,

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-10-15 Thread Grief
Seems that kernels in http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ are not fixed yet. I recompiled the kernel by myself with CONFIG_HARDENED_USERCOPY_PAGESPAN disabled and it works now. Some details are in this thread: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1633172 -- You

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-10-14 Thread Dylan Borg
I am having similar issues booting on my i7 6900K CPU. This is an issue on real hardware, not a VM. The relevant bug is here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1633172 . -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs, which is subscribed to

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-10-11 Thread Grief
I have exactly the same issue with kernel 4.8.1 taken from here: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.8.1/ Isn't this bug supposed to be fixed already? -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-10-08 Thread Launchpad Bug Tracker
This bug was fixed in the package linux-raspi2 - 4.8.0-1012.14 --- linux-raspi2 (4.8.0-1012.14) yakkety; urgency=low [ Tim Gardner ] * Release Tracking Bug - LP: #1630339 * Rebase against Ubuntu-4.8.0-21.23 -- Tim Gardner Tue, 04 Oct 2016

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-10-05 Thread Barry Warsaw
Confirmed that Yakkety main kernel boots and logs into the desktop. % uname -a Linux anarchist 4.8.0-040800rc1-generic #201609281024 SMP Wed Sep 28 14:26:22 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux % dpkg-query -W linux-image-generic linux-image-generic 4.8.0.19.28 Thanks! -- You received

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-10-05 Thread Launchpad Bug Tracker
This bug was fixed in the package linux - 4.8.0-19.21 --- linux (4.8.0-19.21) yakkety; urgency=low [ Tim Gardner ] * Release Tracking Bug - LP: #1629057 * 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM (LP: #1627198) - [Config] CONFIG_HARDENED_USERCOPY_PAGESPAN=n

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-10-03 Thread Joseph Salisbury
** Tags removed: kernel-key ** Tags added: kernel-da-key -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1627198 Title: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM To manage notifications about

Re: [Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-29 Thread Seth Forshee
> Can you say whether it's the second problem that was breaking the desktop > coming up on login? IOW, I observed two problems. One was a freeze during > the boot process, and the other was a freeze during the login process > (although the latter wasn't a total freeze, as ssh still worked). As

Re: [Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-29 Thread Barry Warsaw
Thanks for the extra details Seth. Can you say whether it's the second problem that was breaking the desktop coming up on login? IOW, I observed two problems. One was a freeze during the boot process, and the other was a freeze during the login process (although the latter wasn't a total

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-29 Thread Seth Forshee
I just wanted to add a note here to clarify things a little bit, since from the comments here it's all a bit muddled. There are two loosely related things happening. The first problem, which is fixed by setting CONFIG_HARDENED_USERCOPY_PAGESPAN=n, is that some security enhancements were added in

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-29 Thread Tim Gardner
** Also affects: linux-raspi2 (Ubuntu) Importance: Undecided Status: New ** Changed in: linux-raspi2 (Ubuntu Yakkety) Status: New => Fix Committed ** Changed in: linux-raspi2 (Ubuntu Yakkety) Assignee: (unassigned) => Tim Gardner (timg-tpi) -- You received this bug

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-29 Thread Tim Gardner
UBUNTU: [Config] CONFIG_HARDENED_USERCOPY_PAGESPAN=n -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1627198 Title: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM To manage notifications about

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-29 Thread Barry Warsaw
FWIW, I posted to the Fusion forums: https://communities.vmware.com/message/2623359#2623359 -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1627198 Title: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-29 Thread Joseph Salisbury
This config option is intended to be used only while trying to find anything that copies from userspace with cross page boundaries, and it looks like some vmware driver was doing exactly that. ** Bug watch added: Red Hat Bugzilla #1373326 https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1373326 **

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-29 Thread Joseph Salisbury
@Vinson Lee, it looks like you were correct about that option! ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Yakkety) Status: Confirmed => Fix Committed -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1627198

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-29 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I built a Yakkety test kernel with CONFIG_HARDENED_USERCOPY_PAGESPAN disabled. The test kernel can be downloaded from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1627198 Can you test that kernel and report back if it has the bug or not? -- You received this bug notification because you are a

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-29 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: ed18adc1cdd00a5c55a20fbdaed4804660772281 The test kernel can be downloaded from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1627198 Can you test that kernel and report back if it has the bug or not? I will build the next test kernel based on

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-29 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: 1bd4403d86a1c06cb6cc9ac87664a0c9d3413d51 The test kernel can be downloaded from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1627198 Can you test that kernel and report back if it has the bug or not? I will build the next test kernel based on

Re: [Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-29 Thread Barry Warsaw
On Sep 29, 2016, at 03:20 AM, Joseph Salisbury wrote: >I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: >1eccfa090eaea22558570054bbdc147817e1df5e 201609282035 boots, does not give me a desktop, and I see the crash in the syslog. -- You received this bug notification because you are a

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-28 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: 1eccfa090eaea22558570054bbdc147817e1df5e The test kernel can be downloaded from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1627198 Can you test that kernel and report back if it has the bug or not? I will build the next test kernel based on

Re: [Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-28 Thread Barry Warsaw
On Sep 28, 2016, at 11:06 PM, Joseph Salisbury wrote: >I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: >97433ea4fda62349bfa42089455593cbcb57e06c 201609281855 boots and gives me a desktop. No crash in usercopy.c found in syslog. -- You received this bug notification because you are a

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-28 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: 97433ea4fda62349bfa42089455593cbcb57e06c The test kernel can be downloaded from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1627198 Can you test that kernel and report back if it has the bug or not? I will build the next test kernel based on

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-28 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: a3d1ddd932bc86f0f7027079754ab0aefd259109 The test kernel can be downloaded from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1627198 Can you test that kernel and report back if it has the bug or not? I will build the next test kernel based on

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-28 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: cb0d93aaf06d9b23dc2b21b59c6c4bf7da6f0da3 The test kernel can be downloaded from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1627198 Can you test that kernel and report back if it has the bug or not? I will build the next test kernel based on

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-28 Thread Joseph Salisbury
Working on IRC, but posting here to keep track of all the commits for the second bisect. I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: 7de249964f5578e67b99699c5f0b405738d820a2 The test kernel can be downloaded from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1627198 Can you test that

Re: [Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-28 Thread Barry Warsaw
On Sep 28, 2016, at 02:39 PM, Joseph Salisbury wrote: >It looks like we'll have to perform a second bisect, but also reverting >commit 2deb4be2 between each step. Just to follow up, I was able to eventually gain a desktop with the rc1 kernel and the bad commit reverted. My current plan is to

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-28 Thread Joseph Salisbury
It looks like we'll have to perform a second bisect, but also reverting commit 2deb4be2 between each step. Let's start by testing v4.8-rc1 with commit 2deb4be2 reverted. That kernel is now build and available in the usual location: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1627198 -- You

Re: [Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-27 Thread Barry Warsaw
On Sep 27, 2016, at 11:12 PM, Joseph Salisbury wrote: >I built a mainline kenel with commit >2deb4be28077638591fe5fc593b7f8aabc140f42 reverted. > >Can you test this kernel to see if it also has the new desktop issue? That one gets a little farther but ultimately doesn't give me a desktop either.

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-27 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I built a mainline kenel with commit 2deb4be28077638591fe5fc593b7f8aabc140f42 reverted. Can you test this kernel to see if it also has the new desktop issue? -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.

Re: [Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-27 Thread Barry Warsaw
On Sep 27, 2016, at 09:15 PM, Joseph Salisbury wrote: >Can you see if this kernel resolves this bug? Almost! As mentioned in IRC, it boots but login doesn't give me a desktop. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-27 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I built a Yakkety test kernel with a revert of commit 2deb4be28077638591fe5fc593b7f8aabc140f42. The test kernel can be downloaded from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1627198 Can you see if this kernel resolves this bug? -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of

Re: [Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-27 Thread Barry Warsaw
On Sep 27, 2016, at 08:28 PM, Joseph Salisbury wrote: >The bisect reported the following as the first bad commit: > >commit 2deb4be28077638591fe5fc593b7f8aabc140f42 >Author: Andy Lutomirski >Date: Thu Jul 14 13:22:55 2016 -0700 > >x86/dumpstack: When OOPSing, rewind the

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-27 Thread Joseph Salisbury
The bisect reported the following as the first bad commit: commit 2deb4be28077638591fe5fc593b7f8aabc140f42 Author: Andy Lutomirski Date: Thu Jul 14 13:22:55 2016 -0700 x86/dumpstack: When OOPSing, rewind the stack before do_exit() -- You received this bug notification

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-27 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: 46aea3873401836abb7f01200e7946e7d518b359 The test kernel can be downloaded from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1627198 Can you test that kernel and report back if it has the bug or not? I will build the next test kernel based on

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-27 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: 9a2e9da3e003112399f2863b7b6b911043c01895 The test kernel can be downloaded from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1627198 Can you test that kernel and report back if it has the bug or not? I will build the next test kernel based on

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-27 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: 2deb4be28077638591fe5fc593b7f8aabc140f42 The test kernel can be downloaded from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1627198 Can you test that kernel and report back if it has the bug or not? I will build the next test kernel based on

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-27 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: af2cf278ef4f9289f88504c3e03cb12f76027575 The test kernel can be downloaded from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1627198 Can you test that kernel and report back if it has the bug or not? I will build the next test kernel based on

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-27 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: be8a18e2e98e04a5def5887d913b267865562448 The test kernel can be downloaded from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1627198 Can you test that kernel and report back if it has the bug or not? I will build the next test kernel based on

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-27 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: 3ebfd81f7fb3e81a754e37283b7f38c62244641a The test kernel can be downloaded from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1627198 Can you test that kernel and report back if it has the bug or not? I will build the next test kernel based on

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-27 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: c86ad14d305d2429c3da19462440bac50c183def The test kernel can be downloaded from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1627198 Can you test that kernel and report back if it has the bug or not? I will build the next test kernel based on

Re: [Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-27 Thread Barry Warsaw
On Sep 27, 2016, at 03:32 PM, Joseph Salisbury wrote: >I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: >0f657262d5f99ad86b9a63fb5dcd29036c2ed916 Thanks. 201609271113 does *not* boot. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs, which is subscribed to

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-27 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: 0f657262d5f99ad86b9a63fb5dcd29036c2ed916 The test kernel can be downloaded from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1627198 Can you test that kernel and report back if it has the bug or not? I will build the next test kernel based on

Re: [Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-26 Thread Barry Warsaw
On Sep 26, 2016, at 11:36 PM, Joseph Salisbury wrote: >I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: >5048c2af078d5976895d521262a8802ea791f3b0 #201609261917 boots! -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-26 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: 5048c2af078d5976895d521262a8802ea791f3b0 The test kernel can be downloaded from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1627198 Can you test that kernel and report back if it has the bug or not? I will build the next test kernel based on

Re: [Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-26 Thread Barry Warsaw
On Sep 26, 2016, at 10:52 PM, Joseph Salisbury wrote: >I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: >52770c37db2c0ee5585dae2de3d19c8453f1e8dc This one boots! linux-image-4.7.0-040700-generic_4.7.0-040700.201609261819_amd64.deb -- You received this bug notification because you are

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-26 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: 52770c37db2c0ee5585dae2de3d19c8453f1e8dc The test kernel can be downloaded from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1627198 Can you test that kernel and report back if it has the bug or not? I will build the next test kernel based on

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-26 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: 55392c4c06204c8149dc09cf474691f1cc3c The test kernel can be downloaded from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1627198 Can you test that kernel and report back if it has the bug or not? I will build the next test kernel based on

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-26 Thread Joseph Salisbury
Commit 8e1f74ea0, mentioned in comment #11, was not added to mainline until v4.8-rc6. However, Barry is seeing this bug as early as v4.8-rc1. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1627198

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-26 Thread Vinson Lee
Try disabling CONFIG_HARDENED_USERCOPY_PAGESPAN. http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=8e1f74ea02cf4562404c48c6882214821552c13f -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-26 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I built the next test kernel, up to the following commit: f7816ad0f878dacd5f0120476f9b836ccf8699ea The test kernel can be downloaded from: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~jsalisbury/lp1627198 Can you test that kernel and report back if it has the bug or not? I will build the next test kernel based on

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-26 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I started a kernel bisect between v4.7 final and v4.8-rc1. The kernel bisect will require testing of about 7-10 test kernels. I built the first test kernel, up to the following commit: 1c88e19b0f6a8471ee50d5062721ba30b8fd4ba9 The test kernel can be downloaded from:

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-26 Thread Barry Warsaw
4.8 rc1 does not boot -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1627198 Title: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM To manage notifications about this bug go to:

Re: [Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-26 Thread Barry Warsaw
On Sep 26, 2016, at 06:18 PM, Joseph Salisbury wrote: >v4.5: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.5-wily/ >v4.6: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.6-yakkety/ >v4.7: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.7/ All of these kernels (amd64, generic) boot

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-26 Thread Joseph Salisbury
** Tags added: performing-bisect -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1627198 Title: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM To manage notifications about this bug go to:

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-26 Thread Joseph Salisbury
We are discussion on IRC, however, here are the links to the upstream stable kernels: v4.5: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.5-wily/ v4.6: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.6-yakkety/ v4.7: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.7/ -- You received this

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-26 Thread Joseph Salisbury
I'd like to perform a kernel bisect to identify the commit that introduced this regression. We need to first identify the last good kernel version and the first bad one. Do you know what kernel was the last one that did not exhibit this bug? If not, I can post some download links, so prior

Re: [Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-26 Thread Barry Warsaw
On Sep 26, 2016, at 12:48 PM, Leann Ogasawara wrote: >Could you re-test with the 4.8.0-17.19 kernel we have in ppa:canonical- >kernel-team/unstable Unfortunately this kernel also fails to completely boot. The last things I see in the console are [ OK ] Started Login Service. [ 36.445144]

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-26 Thread Leann Ogasawara
Hi Barry, Could you re-test with the 4.8.0-17.19 kernel we have in ppa:canonical- kernel-team/unstable https://launchpad.net/~canonical-kernel-team/+archive/ubuntu/unstable Thanks in advance. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs, which is subscribed to

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-23 Thread Leann Ogasawara
** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu) Importance: Undecided => Critical ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu) Assignee: (unassigned) => Canonical Kernel Team (canonical-kernel-team) -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-23 Thread Barry Warsaw
Unfortunately, I cannot run this command on the system in question since booting with the defective kernel never gives me a prompt or an ssh login. ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu) Status: Incomplete => Confirmed -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs,

[Bug 1627198] Re: 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM

2016-09-23 Thread Barry Warsaw
** Summary changed: - 4.4.8 kernels do not complete boot process on VM + 4.8.0 kernels do not complete boot process on VM -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1627198 Title: 4.8.0 kernels