[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-07-03 Thread David Favor
A simple fix is...
```
pip install --break-system-packages pyasynchat pyasyncore
```

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-29 Thread Speculos
Hi all,

I have been able to update the package on two systems using 24.04 with apt 
upgrade.
I had to force one of them by apt upgrade fail2ban to force the update, as it 
was been delayed due to the phasing.

The package is the following

fail2ban/noble-updates 1.0.2-3ubuntu0.1 all [pouvant être mis à jour
depuis : 1.0.2-3]

Thanks to all the people involved in the patch.

See ya.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-27 Thread Joris Le Blansch
@fredbcode no I don't think there is anything wrong. If you install
through apt or apt-get you will get notified of eventual missing
dependencies. If you install through dpkg -i you are on your own to
figure that out. This is nothing new of course. So once again, refer to
my method to install it and it will work.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-26 Thread Launchpad Bug Tracker
This bug was fixed in the package fail2ban - 1.0.2-3ubuntu0.1

---
fail2ban (1.0.2-3ubuntu0.1) noble; urgency=medium

  [ Åka Sikrom, Ghadi Elie Rahme]
  * Fix errors with Python 3.12 (LP: #2055114)
- d/p/lp2055114-1-bundling-async-modules-removed-in-python312.patch:
  add vendoring of asyncore and asynchat as compat modules
- d/p/lp2055114-2-setup-install-fail2ban-compat.patch:
  install the compat modules
- d/copyright: add copyright/license for async modules
- d/control: add Depends: python3-setuptools for distutils.version

  [ Mauricio Faria de Oliveira ]
  * Drop vendoring of asyncore (LP: #2055114)
- d/p/lp2055114-1-bundling-async-modules-removed-in-python312.patch:
  backport: remove asyncore file and fallback usage
- d/copyright: adjust license/changes similarly to existing contents
- d/control: add Depends: python3-pyasyncore

 -- Mauricio Faria de Oliveira   Mon, 10 Jun 2024
18:27:45 -0300

** Changed in: fail2ban (Ubuntu Noble)
   Status: Fix Committed => Fix Released

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-26 Thread Chris Cowley
lol, this is comical. The problem was identified 4 months ago. The
precise cause and a working patch submitted shortly afterwards. I'm
unsubscribing from the bug now. Reading this comment train should tell
anyone all they need to know about the Ubuntu support process. It's been
an education.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-26 Thread Gianfranco Costamagna
@michael-kofler, the new LTS was released 2 months ago, and I don't
expect people running server to update that soon after a release is
made. We need some testing, and the amount of bugfixes that came after
release is just too much for SRU team to handle them all. Moreover we
require at least 7 days of testing before pushing an SRU to release, and
this SRU was difficult due to many upstream changes that needed
different checks, and different point of views of what is best for the
LTS lifespan.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-26 Thread Ghadi Rahme
These are warning and won't affect the functionality of fail2ban. They
also appear in the version prior to proposed and are unrelated to the
missing dependencies. Please run "$ systemctl status fail2ban" and
confirm if fail2ban has an active status when installed from proposed if
you would like to verify if the patch resolved the issue.

From the warning messages I can tell they originate from unit test files
and are caused by the python interpreter failing to understand escape
sequences for expressions that will be ran by the shell and not by
python.

Hope this helps clarify things.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-26 Thread fredbcode
Yes Joris, my concern is just there is something wrong with the proposed
package, no ? I mean I should at least see some messages about missing
dependencies

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-26 Thread Joris Le Blansch
See my "workaround" above to get the package from proposed. That works
for me and apparently for others also.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-26 Thread fredbcode
I tried this package, https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban
(proposed) on a server without fail2ban

I missed something ? I guess this is related to 
https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/issues/3754
But if some dependencies are missed i should have some warning messages from 
package, no ?

dpkg -i fail2ban_1.0.2-3ubuntu0.1_all.deb 
(Lecture de la base de données... 190469 fichiers et répertoires déjà 
installés.)
Préparation du dépaquetage de fail2ban_1.0.2-3ubuntu0.1_all.deb ...
Dépaquetage de fail2ban (1.0.2-3ubuntu0.1) sur (1.0.2-3) ...
Paramétrage de fail2ban (1.0.2-3ubuntu0.1) ...
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fail2ban/tests/fail2banregextestcase.py:224: 
SyntaxWarning: invalid escape sequence '\s'
  "1490349000 test failed.dns.ch", "^\s*test \S+"
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fail2ban/tests/fail2banregextestcase.py:435: 
SyntaxWarning: invalid escape sequence '\S'
  '^'+prefix+'User \S+ not allowed\n'
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fail2ban/tests/fail2banregextestcase.py:443: 
SyntaxWarning: invalid escape sequence '\S'
  '^'+prefix+'User \S+ not allowed\n'
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fail2ban/tests/fail2banregextestcase.py:444: 
SyntaxWarning: invalid escape sequence '\d'
  '^'+prefix+'Received disconnect from  port \d+'
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fail2ban/tests/fail2banregextestcase.py:451: 
SyntaxWarning: invalid escape sequence '\s'
  _test_variants('common', prefix="\s*\S+ sshd\[\d+\]:\s+")
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fail2ban/tests/fail2banregextestcase.py:537: 
SyntaxWarning: invalid escape sequence '\['
  'common[prefregex="^svc\[\d+\] connect 
.+$"'
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fail2ban/tests/servertestcase.py:1375: 
SyntaxWarning: invalid escape sequence '\s'
  "`{ nft -a list chain inet f2b-table f2b-chain | grep -oP 
'@addr-set-j-w-nft-mp\s+.*\s+\Khandle\s+(\d+)$'; } | while read -r hdl; do`",
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fail2ban/tests/servertestcase.py:1378: 
SyntaxWarning: invalid escape sequence '\s'
  "`{ nft -a list chain inet f2b-table f2b-chain | grep -oP 
'@addr6-set-j-w-nft-mp\s+.*\s+\Khandle\s+(\d+)$'; } | while read -r hdl; do`",
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fail2ban/tests/servertestcase.py:1421: 
SyntaxWarning: invalid escape sequence '\s'
  "`{ nft -a list chain inet f2b-table f2b-chain | grep -oP 
'@addr-set-j-w-nft-ap\s+.*\s+\Khandle\s+(\d+)$'; } | while read -r hdl; do`",
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fail2ban/tests/servertestcase.py:1424: 
SyntaxWarning: invalid escape sequence '\s'
  "`{ nft -a list chain inet f2b-table f2b-chain | grep -oP 
'@addr6-set-j-w-nft-ap\s+.*\s+\Khandle\s+(\d+)$'; } | while read -r hdl; do`",
Traitement des actions différées (« triggers ») pour man-db (2.12.0-4build2) ...


** Bug watch added: github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/issues #3754
   https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/issues/3754

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-25 Thread Richard Laager
Note that fail2ban is in universe, not main. This was surprising to me,
and something I only realized because of this bug. I too think of
fail2ban as a core security component. I wish Ubuntu would promote it to
main, but that's a different conversation.

Traditionally, being in universe has meant that support is "best
effort". In my opinion, that was generally security/CVE support at most.
Canonical has recently announced expanded support of packages in
universe, which is great. However, I share your concern that they may
not be able to keep up with all of the packages in universe. Time will
tell.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-25 Thread Michael Kofler
Ubuntu LTS promises updates for five years. Ubuntu Pro increases this to
10 or even 12 years.

fail2ban is a pretty critical security component. It failed out of the
box in Ubuntu 24.04. More than 2 months have passed and still no fix has
been released.

This is NOT a specific criticism of the maintainers of fail2ban -- I am
sure they are doing what they can, and the whole situation is somewhat
unfortunate. The fix is imminent anyway.

But the bigger question remains: Should I trust Ubuntus/Canonicals
update guarantees for a decade when they fail within the first few
months? Not on an exotic package, but on a fairly mainstream security
component? Is Ubuntu Server ready to go? I have had excellent
experiences with Ubuntu Server in the past, but I have my doubts about
the future.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-24 Thread Tony Snook
I understand there are workarounds, but it would be very helpful if this
bug was resolved before Ubuntu 23.10 (Mantic Minotaur) reaches End of
Life on July 11, 2024. After which, those of us running interim
releases, will need to upgrade to the 24.04 Noble release.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-23 Thread Grant Slater
Is there an estimate of when the fixed version of fail2ban might land in
nobel?

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-18 Thread Daniel Feliciano Branco
Thanks Joris, that worked for me to.
Best,

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-14 Thread Joris Le Blansch
@brian-murray the wiki mentioned to add proposed is sadly outdated and
for 16.04. More recent documents, show this changed radically in 24.04
so that you can cherry pick updates you want, starting with add-apt-
repository -yp proposed. This didn't work for me neither.

I did as follows:

- Open /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu.sources and add noble-proposed
- apt update
- apt-get install -t noble-proposed fail2ban
- fail2ban now works again
- Open /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu.sources and remove noble-proposed
- apt update

You are now safe to not accidently update other packages from proposed
if that's not wanted (ie. on a production system).

Hope this helps someone. It works for me and I can confirm that fail2ban
is working again with this approach.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-12 Thread Josh L
Re # 65, I've tested and even created a video showing people how to
install and test it as well . Thanks, for this fix.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-12 Thread Mauricio Faria de Oliveira
Flipping the verification tags as requested in comment 65,
based on feedback from comments 70, 68, and 66.

(The other issue mentioned in comment 66 seems unrelated,
and might just be something else now that the package is
able to start services at all, and thus hit other issues.)

Retried the autopkgtest in s390x per comment 69 and logs.

** Tags removed: verification-needed verification-needed-noble
** Tags added: verification-done verification-done-noble

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-12 Thread Chris Garaffa
Re # 65, I've applied the update from noble-proposed on a fresh 24.04
installation (created yesterday on Linode) and fail2ban now starts as
expected.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-12 Thread Ghadi Rahme
About the autopkgtest test failure on s390x.

Based on the logs the issue is not related to fail2ban and is caused by
the VM failing to start, the test does not even reach kernel boot. Looks
like a flaky test and restarting the test might fix it, it is not a
regression

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-11 Thread Chris Cowley
I've just tried the proposed 1.0.2-3ubuntu0.1 package on a clean Noble
VM and it fixed the startup issues, as expected, for me.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

Re: [Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-11 Thread Robert Dinse
The new package has been working good for me EXCEPT wordpress thinks it
isn't running even though it is AND it acts on the WordPress filters and jails
I have installed.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
  Eskimo North Linux Friendly Internet Access, Shell Accounts, and Hosting.
Knowledgeable human assistance, not telephone trees or script readers.
  See our web site: http://www.eskimo.com/ (206) 812-0051 or (800) 246-6874.

On Tue, 11 Jun 2024, Brian Murray wrote:

> Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2024 20:05:13 -
> From: Brian Murray <2055...@bugs.launchpad.net>
> To: nan...@eskimo.com
> Subject: [Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble
> 
> Hello Robert, or anyone else affected,
>
> Accepted fail2ban into noble-proposed. The package will build now and be
> available at
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/1.0.2-3ubuntu0.1 in a few
> hours, and then in the -proposed repository.
>
> Please help us by testing this new package.  See
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation on how
> to enable and use -proposed.  Your feedback will aid us getting this
> update out to other Ubuntu users.
>
> If this package fixes the bug for you, please add a comment to this bug,
> mentioning the version of the package you tested, what testing has been
> performed on the package and change the tag from verification-needed-
> noble to verification-done-noble. If it does not fix the bug for you,
> please add a comment stating that, and change the tag to verification-
> failed-noble. In either case, without details of your testing we will
> not be able to proceed.
>
> Further information regarding the verification process can be found at
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/PerformingSRUVerification .  Thank you in
> advance for helping!
>
> N.B. The updated package will be released to -updates after the bug(s)
> fixed by this package have been verified and the package has been in
> -proposed for a minimum of 7 days.
>
> ** Changed in: fail2ban (Ubuntu Noble)
>   Status: Confirmed => Fix Committed
>
> ** Tags added: verification-needed verification-needed-noble
>
> -- 
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114
>
> Title:
>  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble
>
> Status in fail2ban package in Ubuntu:
>  Fix Released
> Status in fail2ban source package in Noble:
>  Fix Committed
> Status in fail2ban source package in Oracular:
>  Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
>  [ Impact ]
>  * fail2ban fails to start on Ubuntu 24.04, due to new Python and deprecated 
> classes (now vendored upstream)
>
>  [ Test Plan ]
>  * Install and check systemctl status fail2ban.
>
>  [ Where problems could occur ]
>  * Nowhere, fixing a program failing to start
>
>  [ Other info ]
>  Was working in 22.04, but after upgrading to 24.04 I get this:
>
>  × fail2ban.service - Fail2Ban Service
>   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/fail2ban.service; enabled; preset: 
> enabled)
>   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2024-02-25 02:27:29 PST; 1 
> day 18h ago
>     Duration: 2.330s
>     Docs: man:fail2ban(1)
>  Process: 1130 ExecStartPre=/bin/mkdir -p /run/fail2ban (code=exited, 
> status=0/SUCCESS)
>  Process: 1133 ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/fail2ban-server -xf start 
> (code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION)
>     Main PID: 1133 (code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION)
>  CPU: 660ms
>
>  Feb 25 02:27:26 mx1 systemd[1]: Starting fail2ban.service - Fail2Ban 
> Service...
>  Feb 25 02:27:26 mx1 systemd[1]: Started fail2ban.service - Fail2Ban Service.
>  Feb 25 02:27:28 mx1 fail2ban-server[1133]: 2024-02-25 02:27:28,952 fail2ban  
>   [1133]: ERROR   No module named 'asynchat'
>  Feb 25 02:27:29 mx1 systemd[1]: fail2ban.service: Main process exited, 
> code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION
>  Feb 25 02:27:29 mx1 systemd[1]: fail2ban.service: Failed with result 
> 'exit-code'.
>
>  grep fail2ban syslog
>  2024-02-25T02:25:17.813593-08:00 mx1 systemd[1]: Stopping fail2ban.service - 
> Fail2Ban Service...
>  2024-02-25T02:27:26.625640-08:00 mx1 systemd[1]: Starting fail2ban.service - 
> Fail2Ban Service...
>  2024-02-25T02:27:26.678572-08:00 mx1 systemd[1]: Started fail2ban.service - 
> Fail2Ban Service.
>  2024-02-25T02:27:28.954548-08:00 mx1 fail2ban-server[1133]: 2024-02-25 
> 02:27:28,952 fail2ban[1133]: ERROR   No module named 
> 'asynchat'
>  2024-02-25T02:27:29.004733-08:00 mx1 systemd[1]: fail2ban.service: Main 
> process exited, code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION
>  2024-02-25T02:27:29.004834-08:00 mx1 systemd[1]: fail

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-11 Thread Brian Murray
Hello Robert, or anyone else affected,

Accepted fail2ban into noble-proposed. The package will build now and be
available at
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/1.0.2-3ubuntu0.1 in a few
hours, and then in the -proposed repository.

Please help us by testing this new package.  See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation on how
to enable and use -proposed.  Your feedback will aid us getting this
update out to other Ubuntu users.

If this package fixes the bug for you, please add a comment to this bug,
mentioning the version of the package you tested, what testing has been
performed on the package and change the tag from verification-needed-
noble to verification-done-noble. If it does not fix the bug for you,
please add a comment stating that, and change the tag to verification-
failed-noble. In either case, without details of your testing we will
not be able to proceed.

Further information regarding the verification process can be found at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/PerformingSRUVerification .  Thank you in
advance for helping!

N.B. The updated package will be released to -updates after the bug(s)
fixed by this package have been verified and the package has been in
-proposed for a minimum of 7 days.

** Changed in: fail2ban (Ubuntu Noble)
   Status: Confirmed => Fix Committed

** Tags added: verification-needed verification-needed-noble

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-10 Thread Mauricio Faria de Oliveira
The vendorized asyncore.py is identical in python3-pyasyncore (main).

It's better to rely on the package (vs. vendoring) for the stable release, 
specially for an LTS, where ESM is 10-12 years, to avoid code duplication
and monitoring/patching on potential security vulnerabilities in 2 places.

Also, in the future, if upstream does migrate from asyncore to asyncio,
the compat module might be abandoned and we'd lose updates/fixes, if any;
and, if this were to happen, again, it's potential bug fixes in 2 places.

I discussed the approach with Steve L., and he confirmed this to be
fine.

So, I adjusted the existing 2 uploads, build/start tested in PPA/locally,
and confirmed the asyncore module comes from python3-pyasyncore, and the
asynchat module comes from fail2ban compat/vendoring.

Re-uploading to Noble.

...

$ sudo apt install -y python3-pyasyncore
$ dpkg -S /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/asyncore/asyncore.py
python3-pyasyncore: /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/asyncore/asyncore.py
$ wget 
'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/054e1d89ca3fa8b767ee21db1a3368f3d890baa8/fail2ban/compat/asyncore.py'
$ md5sum asyncore.py /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/asyncore/asyncore.py
b4d0825373f6b54927cd50763ccfb641  asyncore.py
b4d0825373f6b54927cd50763ccfb641  
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/asyncore/asyncore.py

...

PPA build with -proposed enabled:
https://launchpad.net/~mfo/+archive/ubuntu/lp2055114

$ systemctl status --full --no-pager fail2ban.service
...
 Active: active (running) since Mon 2024-06-10 19:33:55 -03; 7s ago
...

Jun 10 19:33:55 noble-fail2ban systemd[1]: Started fail2ban.service - Fail2Ban 
Service.
Jun 10 19:33:55 noble-fail2ban fail2ban-server[10839]: 2024-06-10 22:33:55,664 
fail2ban.configreader   [10839]: WARNING 'allowipv6' not defined in 
'Definition'. Using default one: 'auto'
Jun 10 19:33:55 noble-fail2ban fail2ban-server[10839]: Server ready

...

$ sudo systemctl stop fail2ban.service

$ sudo strace -e openat /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/fail2ban-server -xf start 
2>&1 | grep -F -e asynchat. -e asyncore.
openat(AT_FDCWD, 
"/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/asyncore/__pycache__/asyncore.cpython-312.pyc", 
O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3
openat(AT_FDCWD, 
"/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fail2ban/compat/__pycache__/asynchat.cpython-312.pyc",
 O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-03 Thread Richard Laager
I tested (rebuilt in a PPA) the version from:
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/731722634/fail2ban_1.0.2-3_1.0.2-3ubuntu1.24.04.1.diff.gz

It works for me. I can't mark this verification-done, as I didn't use
the actual version from -proposed (since it isn't available there yet).

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-03 Thread Gianfranco Costamagna
guys, please stop spamming this bug.
The patch is already in noble unapproved queue, waiting for ubuntu-SRU release 
managers to pick it up.
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/731722634/fail2ban_1.0.2-3_1.0.2-3ubuntu1.24.04.1.diff.gz

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/noble/+queue?queue_state=1_text=fail

The versioning looks correct 1.0.2-3ubuntu1.24.04.1, I hope it is just a
matter of time.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-02 Thread Zhang Huangbin
The error is `ERROR   No module named 'asynchat'`. This causes fail2ban
failed to start on Ubuntu 24.04.

Module `asynchat` and `asyncore` have been removed since Python 3.12, so
all Python applications which require `asynchat` and/or `asyncore` must
either ship them internally, or ask users to install them manually.

- https://pypi.org/project/pyasynchat/
- https://pypi.org/project/pyasyncore/

These 2 packages are mentioned in Fail2ban README document:
https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/blob/master/README.md?plain=1#L46

And Fail2ban-1.1.0 ships them internally:
https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/tree/master/fail2ban/compat

Original bug report is all about "asynchat", but it's not yet fixed.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-06-02 Thread Jure Sah
python3-setuptools was already installed in my case.

workaround worked for me:

wget 
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/1.1.0-1/+build/28291332/+files/fail2ban_1.1.0-1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i fail2ban_1.1.0-1_all.deb

I know this is probably not helpful for getting the bug resolved, but I
just thought the conversation was confusing for everyone who got here
via Google and just wanted a fix.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-30 Thread Ghadi Rahme
Hello @rlaager

Sorry for the oversight. I have corrected the version number and fixed
the inconsistencies in configure-setup-to-install-fail2ban.compat.patch.

I had copied the output of the debdiff command from the terminal into a
text file before uploading the debdiff, this converted the tabs into
spaces which explains why even the context lines that were auto
generated were also using spaces. This time I transferred the file from
my container to my system to avoid a repeat of the issue.


** Patch added: "noble-fail2ban.debdiff"
   
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+attachment/5784111/+files/noble-fail2ban.debdiff

** Patch removed: "noble-fail2ban.debdiff"
   
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+attachment/5783242/+files/noble-fail2ban.debdiff

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-30 Thread Ghadi Rahme
-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-29 Thread Richard Laager
@ghadi-rahme:

The version in the changelog is wrong. You have "1.0.2-ubuntu1", which
should presumably be "1.0.2-3ubuntu1". You are missing the "3" after the
dash.

Also, configure-setup-to-install-fail2ban.compat.patch does not apply
cleanly. Your version has spaces throughout the whole patch (both the
context lines and the line you are adding), where the code in the
package uses tabs.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-27 Thread Ghadi Rahme
Hello all,

I have written a patch for noble backporting two required commits:
- https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/commit/054e1d89ca3f
- https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/commit/77b052fdea51

I also updated the copyright file to reflect the license of the newly added 
files.
I noticed that the already present copyright file was not following the 
guidelines defined in the debian docs 
(https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/) so I tried 
to follow the format that was already present and added some fields defined in 
the debian docs.


** Patch added: "noble-fail2ban.debdiff"
   
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+attachment/5783242/+files/noble-fail2ban.debdiff

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-27 Thread Ghadi Rahme
** Changed in: fail2ban (Ubuntu Noble)
 Assignee: (unassigned) => Ghadi Rahme (ghadi-rahme)

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-24 Thread Zhang Huangbin
Dear all,

This is a remind that new Fail2ban package (1.1.0-2ubuntu2) is still not 
available in official apt repo.
Could anyone take care of this?

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-21 Thread Launchpad Bug Tracker
This bug was fixed in the package fail2ban - 1.1.0-2ubuntu2

---
fail2ban (1.1.0-2ubuntu2) oracular; urgency=medium

   [ Åka Sikrom (akrosikam) ]
   * Add python3-setuptools runtime dependency needed for Python3.12
 to use distutils.version (LP: #2055114)

 -- Gianfranco Costamagna   Tue, 21 May 2024
09:43:51 +0200

** Changed in: fail2ban (Ubuntu Oracular)
   Status: Confirmed => Fix Released

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-21 Thread Gianfranco Costamagna
** Changed in: fail2ban (Ubuntu Oracular)
   Importance: Undecided => High

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-21 Thread Gianfranco Costamagna
As said, fixing oracular first.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-21 Thread Gianfranco Costamagna
I went through the code, setuptools is needed due to distutils removals

./fail2ban/server/filtersystemd.py:from distutils.version import LooseVersion
./fail2ban/server/filterpyinotify.py:from distutils.version import LooseVersion

Reuploaded, thanks @akrosikam for the help!

** Changed in: fail2ban (Ubuntu Oracular)
   Status: Fix Released => Confirmed

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-20 Thread Gianfranco Costamagna
@chris, please check oracular or debian sid, and in that case let me
know. If setuptools is a runtime dependency, this means that devel
release has to be fixed before getting the fix in noble.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-20 Thread Gianfranco Costamagna
>OK, I officially give up. Good luck to whomever bothers chasing your
constantly-moving target.

your patch was good, just the rule is to first fix devel, or mark it as
non affected. For an LTS, adding runtime dependencies has to be done
carefully, so this is the reason I'm pedantic, to avoid Release Team to
reject uploads.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-20 Thread Gianfranco Costamagna
confirmed python3-setuptools not being installed with 1.1.0-2 on noble
and oracular...

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-20 Thread Åka Sikrom
OK, I officially give up. Good luck to whomever bothers chasing your
constantly-moving target.

** Patch removed: "fail2ban_1.0.2-3_noble_fixes-for-python3.12.patch"
   
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+attachment/578/+files/fail2ban_1.0.2-3_noble_fixes-for-python3.12.patch

** Tags removed: patch

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-20 Thread Gianfranco Costamagna
Ok, so if this is a runtime dependency, does this mean oracular is not
yet fixed?

fail2ban_1.1.0-2_all.deb


 new Debian package, version 2.0.
 size 465720 bytes: control archive=10096 bytes.
7008 bytes,   175 lines  conffiles
1581 bytes,33 lines  control
   24895 bytes,   252 lines  md5sums
3418 bytes,   103 lines   *  postinst #!/bin/sh
1820 bytes,64 lines   *  postrm   #!/bin/sh
 233 bytes, 7 lines   *  preinst  #!/bin/sh
 832 bytes,22 lines   *  prerm#!/bin/sh
 Package: fail2ban
 Version: 1.1.0-2
 Architecture: all
 Maintainer: Debian Python Team 
 Installed-Size: 2190
 Depends: python3:any, python3-systemd
 Recommends: nftables | iptables, whois, python3-pyinotify
 Suggests: mailx, system-log-daemon, monit, sqlite3
 Section: net


There is no this runtime dependency on oracular, so either fix first oracular 
and then backport, or find a way to not runtime depend on it.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-20 Thread Chris Cowley
Have just tried this myself in a freshly-created Noble install. I can
confirm Åka Sikrom (akrosikam) is absolutely correct; Python3-setuptools
is a runtime dependency of fail2ban1.0.2-3ubuntu

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-20 Thread Åka Sikrom
@Gianfranco: Done. As expected, fail2ban.service fails to start post-
install, since you excluded an essential part of my patch. See attached
terminal log output.

** Attachment removed: "f2b-costamagnagianfranco-ppa-term-output.log"
   
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+attachment/5780126/+files/f2b-costamagnagianfranco-ppa-term-output.log

** Attachment added: "f2b-costamagnagianfranco-ppa-term-output.txt"
   
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+attachment/5780127/+files/f2b-costamagnagianfranco-ppa-term-output.txt

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-20 Thread sparks71
I have installed the oracular version (1.1.0-2) on my 3 servers.
Why should I downgrade? failed udate policy

As I know ubuntu LTS, the package will not get any updates for the next
10 years anyway, so I can also install it via dpkg - makes no
difference.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-20 Thread Åka Sikrom
** Attachment added: "f2b-costamagnagianfranco-ppa-term-output.log"
   
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+attachment/5780126/+files/f2b-costamagnagianfranco-ppa-term-output.log

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-20 Thread Gianfranco Costamagna
I uploaded on my ppa
https://launchpad.net/~costamagnagianfranco/+archive/ubuntu/costamagnagianfranco-ppa/+packages
please have a look!

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-20 Thread Åka Sikrom
Then I assume you have tested and verified (with a build of the package
which you say you have now uploaded) that fail2ban.service starts
successfully post-install, while python3-setuptools is *not* installed
on your system?

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-20 Thread Gianfranco Costamagna
Uploaded to Ubuntu without the additional dependency

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-20 Thread Gianfranco Costamagna
** Description changed:

+ [ Impact ] 
+ * fail2ban fails to start on Ubuntu 24.04, due to new Python and deprecated 
classes (now vendored upstream)
+ 
+ [ Test Plan ]
+ * Install and check systemctl status fail2ban.
+ 
+ [ Where problems could occur ]
+ * Nowhere, fixing a program failing to start
+ 
+ [ Other info ]
  Was working in 22.04, but after upgrading to 24.04 I get this:
  
  × fail2ban.service - Fail2Ban Service
-  Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/fail2ban.service; enabled; preset: 
enabled)
-  Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2024-02-25 02:27:29 PST; 1 
day 18h ago
-Duration: 2.330s
-Docs: man:fail2ban(1)
- Process: 1130 ExecStartPre=/bin/mkdir -p /run/fail2ban (code=exited, 
status=0/SUCCESS)
- Process: 1133 ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/fail2ban-server -xf start 
(code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION)
-Main PID: 1133 (code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION)
- CPU: 660ms
+  Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/fail2ban.service; enabled; preset: 
enabled)
+  Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2024-02-25 02:27:29 PST; 1 
day 18h ago
+    Duration: 2.330s
+    Docs: man:fail2ban(1)
+ Process: 1130 ExecStartPre=/bin/mkdir -p /run/fail2ban (code=exited, 
status=0/SUCCESS)
+ Process: 1133 ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/fail2ban-server -xf start 
(code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION)
+    Main PID: 1133 (code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION)
+ CPU: 660ms
  
  Feb 25 02:27:26 mx1 systemd[1]: Starting fail2ban.service - Fail2Ban 
Service...
  Feb 25 02:27:26 mx1 systemd[1]: Started fail2ban.service - Fail2Ban Service.
  Feb 25 02:27:28 mx1 fail2ban-server[1133]: 2024-02-25 02:27:28,952 fail2ban   
 [1133]: ERROR   No module named 'asynchat'
  Feb 25 02:27:29 mx1 systemd[1]: fail2ban.service: Main process exited, 
code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION
  Feb 25 02:27:29 mx1 systemd[1]: fail2ban.service: Failed with result 
'exit-code'.
  
  grep fail2ban syslog
  2024-02-25T02:25:17.813593-08:00 mx1 systemd[1]: Stopping fail2ban.service - 
Fail2Ban Service...
  2024-02-25T02:27:26.625640-08:00 mx1 systemd[1]: Starting fail2ban.service - 
Fail2Ban Service...
  2024-02-25T02:27:26.678572-08:00 mx1 systemd[1]: Started fail2ban.service - 
Fail2Ban Service.
  2024-02-25T02:27:28.954548-08:00 mx1 fail2ban-server[1133]: 2024-02-25 
02:27:28,952 fail2ban[1133]: ERROR   No module named 'asynchat'
  2024-02-25T02:27:29.004733-08:00 mx1 systemd[1]: fail2ban.service: Main 
process exited, code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION
  2024-02-25T02:27:29.004834-08:00 mx1 systemd[1]: fail2ban.service: Failed 
with result 'exit-code'.
  
  Seems 24.04 is missing a python 3.12 module 'asynchat'.
  
  This leaves my systems vulnerable to brute-force password guessing
  attacks.
  
  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 24.04
  Package: fail2ban 1.0.2-3
  Uname: Linux 6.7.6 x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.28.0-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: MATE
  Date: Mon Feb 26 20:33:12 2024
  InstallationDate: Installed on 2017-08-14 (2388 days ago)
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-MATE 17.04 "Zesty Zapus" - Release amd64 (20170412)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: fail2ban
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to noble on 2024-01-23 (35 days ago)

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-20 Thread Åka Sikrom
Because it provides 'distutils' which, as it stands, is a required
runtime module.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-20 Thread Gianfranco Costamagna
Why, add it as runtime dependency? setuptools is already a build
dependency from what I can see...

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-20 Thread Åka Sikrom
Changelog added to patch, and patch hereby re-uploaded.


* Bundle required async* modules for python3.12 (Fixes: #2055114)
   see upstream commit https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/commit/1024452
* debian/control: Add python3-setutools to Depends
   to provide required module 'distutils' (Fixes: #2055114)

** Patch removed: "fail2ban_1.0.2-3_noble_fixes-for-python3.12.patch"
   
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+attachment/5766358/+files/fail2ban_1.0.2-3_noble_fixes-for-python3.12.patch

** Patch added: "fail2ban_1.0.2-3_noble_fixes-for-python3.12.patch"
   
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+attachment/578/+files/fail2ban_1.0.2-3_noble_fixes-for-python3.12.patch

** Changed in: fail2ban (Ubuntu Noble)
   Status: Incomplete => Confirmed

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-20 Thread Gianfranco Costamagna
Hello, the patch mentioned in 
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/comments/14
looks adding an additional dependency, without explaining why it was added.
Can you please provide more information and also a changelog? It can be changed 
later, but a schema of changelog is useful anyway for the sponsor.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-20 Thread snowieoxs
Okay, I have been looking at all the comments, and provided links in
this thread for a couple hours now, and I'm still not sure what needs to
be done here. I do see there are workarounds, but what does a guy need
to do to make it so that the apt package works with noble? This is a
serious security issue that needs attention, If anyone wants try and get
this to working this week I am available to help test/collab.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-19 Thread Speculos
Hi,

As a temporary workaround I have personally switch to a docker container
to do the job.

Ofc you must have docker installed and it is not the best option but it
works like a charm for me.

https://docs.linuxserver.io/images/docker-fail2ban/

Waiting as all of you to see a proper fix be proposed.

See ya.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-18 Thread Chris Cowley
Fortunately for me, I only have to manage a single server and I patched
this problem on that server myself (the comments from Aka Sikrom here
provide some very useful pointers in this regard) so this no longer
matters to me personally. But it's getting embarrassing how long this
simple fix is taking to get to Noble.

There is clearly something very wrong with the process; I am reminded of
Douglas Adams' quote about trying to grill a steak by having a
succession of people coming into the room and breathing on it.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-18 Thread Niv Shtibel
having the same issue how do I make it work on Noble version of ubuntu
please help

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-17 Thread fredbcode
Sylvestre Ledru (sylvestre) for mantic only, not noble ?

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-15 Thread Andros
They should really adopt version 1.1.0. Anything else makes no sense.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-15 Thread Sylvestre Ledru
I don't know well the Ubuntu processes but I opened this sync request: 
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2065796

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-15 Thread Grant Slater
Do we have to subscribe to Ubuntu Pro to get an update of this package?


But seriously, what will it take to get this package fixed in Ubuntu?
How can we take Ubuntu seriously on the server is such a fundamental
package remains critically broken?

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-13 Thread Daniel Leidert
Can this *please* finally be fixed asap? This has been known for more
than two months now, and even before the official release of Ubuntu
24.04 LTS had been made. How this issue is handled for the LTS release
is becoming quite a source of frustration.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-12 Thread Immanuel Raj
How long till a fix is relreased? Its kinda very important to ubuntu
server system administrator like me. Please do the needful as soon as
possible

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-06 Thread Graham Inggs
Marking the Noble task incomplete and unsubscribing ubuntu-sponsors for
now.

** Changed in: fail2ban (Ubuntu Noble)
   Status: Confirmed => Incomplete

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-04 Thread Launchpad Bug Tracker
This bug was fixed in the package fail2ban - 1.1.0-1

---
fail2ban (1.1.0-1) unstable; urgency=medium

  * New upstream release
(LP: #2055114)
  * Block ssh invalid keys too (Closes: #1038779)
  * Follow upstream advice
https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/issues/3292#issuecomment-2078361360
to only have sshd as enabled = true in jail.d_defaults-debian.conf
  * Update lintian override info format in d/source/lintian-overrides on line 
1-2.
  * Update standards version to 4.6.2, no changes needed.

 -- Sylvestre Ledru   Thu, 02 May 2024 13:57:06
+0200

** Changed in: fail2ban (Ubuntu Oracular)
   Status: Fix Committed => Fix Released

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-04 Thread Anthony MAUGENDRE
@fprietog workaround works like a charm ! thank you

wget 
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/1.1.0-1/+build/28291332/+files/fail2ban_1.1.0-1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i fail2ban_1.1.0-1_all.deb

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-03 Thread fprietog
@ahasenack thank you very much.

In the meantime as a workaround for noble you can install the oracular-
proposed deb file "fail2ban_1.1.0-1_all.deb".

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-03 Thread Andreas Hasenack
New version is in oracular-proposed[1]:

fail2ban (1.1.0-1) unstable; urgency=medium

  * New upstream release
(LP: #2055114)
  * Block ssh invalid keys too (Closes: #1038779)
  * Follow upstream advice
https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/issues/3292#issuecomment-2078361360
to only have sshd as enabled = true in jail.d_defaults-debian.conf
  * Update lintian override info format in d/source/lintian-overrides on line 
1-2.
  * Update standards version to 4.6.2, no changes needed.

 -- Sylvestre Ledru   Thu, 02 May 2024 13:57:06
+0200

Nothing needs to be sponsored for the ubuntu devel release now. I'll
mark it as fix committed, since it was uploaded.

Noble is still affected, so I'm adding a noble task. This then needs to
become an SRU, following [2], before anything can be uploaded to noble.


1. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/1.1.0-1
2. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates

** Bug watch added: github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/issues #3292
   https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/issues/3292

** Also affects: fail2ban (Ubuntu Noble)
   Importance: Undecided
   Status: New

** Also affects: fail2ban (Ubuntu Oracular)
   Importance: Undecided
   Status: Confirmed

** Changed in: fail2ban (Ubuntu Oracular)
   Status: Confirmed => Fix Committed

** Changed in: fail2ban (Ubuntu Noble)
   Status: New => Confirmed

** Changed in: fail2ban (Ubuntu Noble)
   Importance: Undecided => High

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-05-02 Thread Sylvestre Ledru
I uploaded the new version in Debian:
https://tracker.debian.org/news/1524869/accepted-fail2ban-110-1-source-into-unstable/
if someone wants to sync it into Ubuntu, most welcome :)

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-04-29 Thread Åka Sikrom
Thanks fossfreedom,

I have tried to go through the documentation you linked to, but its
links to specific processes are either dead or redirect to a new WIP
readthedocs page where the info I need has not been addded yet. Since
this would be my first-ever Ubuntu patch, I need a bit more specific
information in order to improve my process and patch content.

If there is anything specific missing in my patch and/or its description
above, please feel free to point it out, and I will do what I can.

Again, I have deliberately refrained from including a changelog entry //
version bump, and the patch is not in quilt format since it is unclear
to me whether it should be. If these are the only missing bits, I would
be happy to add them and upload a revised patch.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-04-29 Thread fossfreedom
I see a patch has been added - so I've subscribed ubuntu sponsors.

However, please can the following template be used to describe the
patch, how to test, understand the risks etc.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SponsorshipProcess

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-04-26 Thread Grant Slater
Upstream have release a new version which fixes Python 3.12+
compatibility. https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/releases/tag/1.1.0

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-04-23 Thread Adam Williamson
FWIW, this is what we did in Fedora:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/fail2ban/c/24c973f252f6d1b4231ee49ee4d5efac785a2fe8?branch=rawhide

i.e., we depend on packages of the asynchat and asyncore libs that were
added to pypi for this kind of purpose -
https://pypi.org/project/pyasynchat/ and
https://pypi.org/project/pyasyncore/ - and we also had to disable a
couple of tests. I don't know if Ubuntu/Debian packaged the split-out
asynchat and asyncore libs yet.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-04-16 Thread Åka Sikrom
Maintainers: please find attached a new version of my suggested source
patch.

Changes:
* Bundle asyncore.py, asynchat.py and updated asyncserver.py (manual 
cherry-pick of upstream commit 1024452)
* Add 'python3-setuptools' to Depends

I have deliberately *not* inserted anything into the changelog as I
believe this should all be checked and signed off by somebody who knows
what they are doing.

Regarding Debian, trixie still ships python3.11 as of today, so this
issue does not apply to them yet.

Thanks.

** Patch removed: "fail2ban_1.0.2-3_noble_fixes-for-python3.12.patch"
   
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+attachment/5766294/+files/fail2ban_1.0.2-3_noble_fixes-for-python3.12.patch

** Patch added: "fail2ban_1.0.2-3_noble_fixes-for-python3.12.patch"
   
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+attachment/5766358/+files/fail2ban_1.0.2-3_noble_fixes-for-python3.12.patch

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-04-16 Thread Åka Sikrom
PS: regarding Debian, trixie still ships python3.11 as of today, so this
issue does not apply to them yet.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-04-16 Thread Åka Sikrom
Maintainers: please find attached a new version of my suggested source
patch.

Changes:
* Bundle asyncore.py, asynchat.py and updated asyncserver.py (manual 
cherry-pick of upstream commit 1024452)
* Add 'python3-setuptools' to Depends

I have deliberately *not* inserted anything into the changelog as I
believe the above should be signed off by somebody who knows what they
are doing.

Thanks.

** Patch added: "fail2ban_1.0.2-3_noble_fixes-for-python3.12.patch"
   
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+attachment/5766294/+files/fail2ban_1.0.2-3_noble_fixes-for-python3.12.patch

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-04-16 Thread Åka Sikrom
** Patch removed: "fail2ban-noble-add-bundled-async-python3.12.patch"
   
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+attachment/5764439/+files/fail2ban-noble-add-bundled-async-python3.12.patch

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-04-12 Thread Ubuntu Foundations Team Bug Bot
The attachment "fail2ban-noble-add-bundled-async-python3.12.patch" seems
to be a patch.  If it isn't, please remove the "patch" flag from the
attachment, remove the "patch" tag, and if you are a member of the
~ubuntu-reviewers, unsubscribe the team.

[This is an automated message performed by a Launchpad user owned by
~brian-murray, for any issues please contact him.]

** Tags added: patch

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-04-12 Thread Åka Sikrom
Maintainers: Here is a suggested source patch for Noble. It is based on
commit no. 1024452 [1] in upstream. This would be my first-ever patch
made for a deb package, so please inspect it carefully for mistakes
if/before you even consider applying it.

Note that 'python3-setuptools' also needs to be added to Depends in
debian/control. If I understand deb-source correctly, it would consider
my patch "fuzzy" if it included changes within debian/, thus I am not
including it there but mentioning it here instead.

I am trying to learn the ropes of Debian-based package maintenance, so
please forgive my ignorance. Thank you.

[1]
https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/commit/1024452fe1befeb5a0a014386a81ec183cd45bb5

** Patch added: "fail2ban-noble-add-bundled-async-python3.12.patch"
   
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+attachment/5764439/+files/fail2ban-noble-add-bundled-async-python3.12.patch

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-04-12 Thread Åka Sikrom
-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

Re: [Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-03-10 Thread Robert Dinse
This does make it run.  Thank you.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
  Eskimo North Linux Friendly Internet Access, Shell Accounts, and Hosting.
Knowledgeable human assistance, not telephone trees or script readers.
  See our web site: http://www.eskimo.com/ (206) 812-0051 or (800) 246-6874.

On Sun, 10 Mar 2024, Åka Sikrom wrote:

> Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 12:30:18 -
> From: Åka Sikrom <2055...@bugs.launchpad.net>
> To: nan...@eskimo.com
> Subject: [Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble
> 
> As of this commit from 12 Dec 2023: 
> https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/commit/1024452fe1befeb5a0a014386a81ec183cd45bb5
> upstream ships its source with the missing async* libraries embedded, 
> which solves the issue for now.
>
>
> Here is a suggested workaround for Noble until the fix hopefully finds its 
> way into the repos.
>
> DISCLAMER: Try at your own risk. I am not an Ubuntu/Debian developer.
> Next time you receive a proper package update of fail2ban via apt, any
> of the manually-downloaded files below may cause conflicts and break
> your system.
>
> mkdir -m 0755 /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fail2ban/compat
> wget -O /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fail2ban/compat/asynchat.py 
> https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/raw/1024452fe1befeb5a0a014386a81ec183cd45bb5/fail2ban/compat/asynchat.py
> wget -O /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fail2ban/compat/asyncore.py 
> https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/raw/1024452fe1befeb5a0a014386a81ec183cd45bb5/fail2ban/compat/asyncore.py
> cp -p 
> /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fail2ban/server/asyncserver.py{,.original}
> wget -O /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fail2ban/server/asyncserver.py 
> https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/raw/1024452fe1befeb5a0a014386a81ec183cd45bb5/fail2ban/server/asyncserver.py
>
> My custom-boostrapped Noble test system is also missing the required
> 'distutils' Python module by default. The fail2ban package does not have
> 'python3-setuptools' listed under "Depends" in its control file, which
> it possibly should at this point. Official Ubuntu images may already
> have it installed via other packages, but if not, you will need to
> install it as well:
>
> apt install python3-setuptools
>
> -- 
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114
>
> Title:
>  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble
>
> Status in fail2ban package in Ubuntu:
>  Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
>  Was working in 22.04, but after upgrading to 24.04 I get this:
>
>  × fail2ban.service - Fail2Ban Service
>   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/fail2ban.service; enabled; preset: 
> enabled)
>   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2024-02-25 02:27:29 PST; 1 
> day 18h ago
> Duration: 2.330s
> Docs: man:fail2ban(1)
>  Process: 1130 ExecStartPre=/bin/mkdir -p /run/fail2ban (code=exited, 
> status=0/SUCCESS)
>  Process: 1133 ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/fail2ban-server -xf start 
> (code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION)
> Main PID: 1133 (code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION)
>  CPU: 660ms
>
>  Feb 25 02:27:26 mx1 systemd[1]: Starting fail2ban.service - Fail2Ban 
> Service...
>  Feb 25 02:27:26 mx1 systemd[1]: Started fail2ban.service - Fail2Ban Service.
>  Feb 25 02:27:28 mx1 fail2ban-server[1133]: 2024-02-25 02:27:28,952 fail2ban  
>   [1133]: ERROR   No module named 'asynchat'
>  Feb 25 02:27:29 mx1 systemd[1]: fail2ban.service: Main process exited, 
> code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION
>  Feb 25 02:27:29 mx1 systemd[1]: fail2ban.service: Failed with result 
> 'exit-code'.
>
>  grep fail2ban syslog
>  2024-02-25T02:25:17.813593-08:00 mx1 systemd[1]: Stopping fail2ban.service - 
> Fail2Ban Service...
>  2024-02-25T02:27:26.625640-08:00 mx1 systemd[1]: Starting fail2ban.service - 
> Fail2Ban Service...
>  2024-02-25T02:27:26.678572-08:00 mx1 systemd[1]: Started fail2ban.service - 
> Fail2Ban Service.
>  2024-02-25T02:27:28.954548-08:00 mx1 fail2ban-server[1133]: 2024-02-25 
> 02:27:28,952 fail2ban[1133]: ERROR   No module named 
> 'asynchat'
>  2024-02-25T02:27:29.004733-08:00 mx1 systemd[1]: fail2ban.service: Main 
> process exited, code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION
>  2024-02-25T02:27:29.004834-08:00 mx1 systemd[1]: fail2ban.service: Failed 
> with result 'exit-code'.
>
>  Seems 24.04 is missing a python 3.12 module 'asynchat'.
>
>  This leaves my systems vulnerable to brute-force password guessing
>  attacks.
>
>  ProblemType: Bug
>  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 24.04
>  Package: fail2ban 1.0.2-3
>  Uname: Linux 6.7.6 x86_64
>  ApportVersion: 2.28.0-

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-03-10 Thread Åka Sikrom
As of this commit from 12 Dec 2023: 
https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/commit/1024452fe1befeb5a0a014386a81ec183cd45bb5
 
upstream ships its source with the missing async* libraries embedded, which 
solves the issue for now.


Here is a suggested workaround for Noble until the fix hopefully finds its way 
into the repos.

DISCLAMER: Try at your own risk. I am not an Ubuntu/Debian developer.
Next time you receive a proper package update of fail2ban via apt, any
of the manually-downloaded files below may cause conflicts and break
your system.

mkdir -m 0755 /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fail2ban/compat
wget -O /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fail2ban/compat/asynchat.py 
https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/raw/1024452fe1befeb5a0a014386a81ec183cd45bb5/fail2ban/compat/asynchat.py
wget -O /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fail2ban/compat/asyncore.py 
https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/raw/1024452fe1befeb5a0a014386a81ec183cd45bb5/fail2ban/compat/asyncore.py
cp -p /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fail2ban/server/asyncserver.py{,.original}
wget -O /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fail2ban/server/asyncserver.py 
https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/raw/1024452fe1befeb5a0a014386a81ec183cd45bb5/fail2ban/server/asyncserver.py

My custom-boostrapped Noble test system is also missing the required
'distutils' Python module by default. The fail2ban package does not have
'python3-setuptools' listed under "Depends" in its control file, which
it possibly should at this point. Official Ubuntu images may already
have it installed via other packages, but if not, you will need to
install it as well:

apt install python3-setuptools

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-03-04 Thread Robert Dinse
I wish people wouldn't use languages like python which changes it's
packages and syntax weekly, but since they do the obvious question, is
anyone going to work on this?  It is a rather important security tool.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-02-29 Thread Launchpad Bug Tracker
Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: fail2ban (Ubuntu)
   Status: New => Confirmed

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-02-26 Thread Alex Murray
Relevant upstream issue https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/issues/3487

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-02-26 Thread Alex Murray
So whilst in Ubuntu we do have python-pyasyncore which provides
asyncore, we don't have asynchat so this might need to be packaged
separately OR vendored into fail2ban

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

[Bug 2055114] Re: fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

2024-02-26 Thread Alex Murray
asynchat was removed in python 3.12, which just became the default
python3 in 24.04

** Information type changed from Private Security to Public

** Bug watch added: github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/issues #3487
   https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/issues/3487

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2055114

Title:
  fail2ban is broken in 24.04 Noble

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fail2ban/+bug/2055114/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs