Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-07 Thread James E Lang
Ouch! Who would-a thought my simple apology would start this firestorm? -- Jim Then, would you please consider the pros vs. cons of this list as well as all the users of this list who are seeking help then offering help. Here are more logical steps of top-posting vs.

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-06 Thread e-letter
On 05/02/2014, Felmon Davis dav...@union.edu wrote: That doesn't mean they can't/shouldn't learn. I wholly concur that top-posting is a scourge and especially if the post is not trimmed; sometimes I just skip posts since I cannot figure out what in the long tail of to and fro the poster is

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-06 Thread e-letter
On 05/02/2014, Peter West li...@pbw.id.au wrote: On 6/02/2014 5:31 am, Robert Holtzman wrote: On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 01:37:52PM +, Tom Davies wrote: Bottom posting requires a ton of extra work such as trimming and such which office workers really do not have time for. Trimming is a

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-06 Thread e-letter
On 06/02/2014, pete nikolic pg.nikol...@gmail.com wrote: On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 13:37:52 + Tom Davies tomc...@gmail.com wrote: Hi :) Such attitude is dying out. Modern devices almost entirely force people into top-posting and almost all people new to mailing-lists will have no idea about

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-06 Thread anne-ology
: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately? To: users@global.libreoffice.org And a good job of trimming the post too! I wonder, does top-posting promote sequential reading of the argument? alright; just having fun now. this is losing all point. winter is getting to us. F. On Wed, 5 Feb

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-05 Thread Tom Davies
Hi :) Such attitude is dying out. Modern devices almost entirely force people into top-posting and almost all people new to mailing-lists will have no idea about the possibility of doing anything other than top-posting. Some allow users to reconfigure their devices to bottom-post but it's beyond

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-05 Thread Robert Holtzman
On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 01:37:52PM +, Tom Davies wrote: Hi :) Such attitude is dying out. Modern devices almost entirely force people into top-posting and almost all people new to mailing-lists will have no idea about the possibility of doing anything other than top-posting. Some allow

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-05 Thread Felmon Davis
On Wed, 5 Feb 2014, Robert Holtzman wrote: On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 01:37:52PM +, Tom Davies wrote: Hi :) Such attitude is dying out. Modern devices almost entirely force people into top-posting and almost all people new to mailing-lists will have no idea about the possibility of doing

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-05 Thread Peter West
On 6/02/2014 5:31 am, Robert Holtzman wrote: On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 01:37:52PM +, Tom Davies wrote: Bottom posting requires a ton of extra work such as trimming and such which office workers really do not have time for. Trimming is a sensible thing to do, whichever way you post. It's

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-05 Thread anne-ology
Well said, Peter. From: Peter West li...@pbw.id.au Date: Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 5:40 PM Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately? To: users@global.libreoffice.org On 6/02/2014 5:31 am, Robert Holtzman wrote: On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 01:37:52PM +, Tom Davies wrote

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-05 Thread Felmon Davis
...@pbw.id.au Date: Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 5:40 PM Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately? To: users@global.libreoffice.org On 6/02/2014 5:31 am, Robert Holtzman wrote: On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 01:37:52PM +, Tom Davies wrote: Bottom posting requires a ton of extra work

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-05 Thread Jonathon
On February 5, 2014 3:40:08 PM PST, Peter West wrote: That simply demonstrates that it is not beneficial to either the writer, nor the reader. On 6/02/2014 5:31 am, Robert Holtzman wrote: On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 01:37:52PM +, Tom Davies wrote: Bottom posting requires a ton of extra

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-05 Thread Robert Holtzman
On Thu, Feb 06, 2014 at 09:40:08AM +1000, Peter West wrote: On 6/02/2014 5:31 am, Robert Holtzman wrote: On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 01:37:52PM +, Tom Davies wrote: Bottom posting requires a ton of extra work such as trimming and such which office workers really do not have time for.

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-05 Thread pete nikolic
On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 13:37:52 + Tom Davies tomc...@gmail.com wrote: Hi :) Such attitude is dying out. Modern devices almost entirely force people into top-posting and almost all people new to mailing-lists will have no idea about the possibility of doing anything other than top-posting.

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-04 Thread Peter West
Why is, do you think, that people feel the need to apologise on this very list for bottom-posting? Because of my ad-hominem attacks? It must be, because all the bottom-posters on this list are angels of forbearance, while all the top-posters are repeatedly admonishing bottom-posters to please,

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-04 Thread Felmon Davis
On Tue, 4 Feb 2014, Brian Barker wrote: At 09:58 04/02/2014 +1000, Peter West wrote: It mystifies me that some ossers become tossers on this particular topic, ... Whatever value your argument might have had, you destroy it by being abusive and using an ad hominem argument, of course. It is

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-04 Thread e-letter
On 04/02/2014, anne-ology lagin...@gmail.com wrote: exactly; logic seems to be missing in some folks ;-) Here we go again... From: Peter West li...@pbw.id.au Date: Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 5:58 PM Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately? To: users

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-04 Thread Paul
On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 11:07:28 -0500 (EST) Felmon Davis dav...@union.edu wrote: (whatever a 'tosser' is, is that a kind of shot putter?) I'm not sure, but if you have a pair, aren't they used for salad? -- To unsubscribe e-mail to: users+unsubscr...@global.libreoffice.org Problems?

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-04 Thread Peter West
This sent to me off-list. No further comment required. On 5/02/2014 12:24 am, Anthony Baldwin wrote: On 2/4/2014 2:59 AM, Peter West wrote: Why is, do you think, that people feel the need to apologise on this very list for bottom-posting? Because of my ad-hominem attacks? It must be, because

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-03 Thread Florian Effenberger
Hi James, James E Lang wrote on 2014-01-31 21:12: I also think most mailing lists encourage replies to the list by inserting a Reply-To header designating the list as the preferred reply address. This lets all on the list to learn from most responses. It also guides people on the list

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-03 Thread Tom Davies
Hi :) re: top vs bottom posting Many people using this mailing list are likely to be unfamiliar with various notions that are in common usage on other mailing lists. Hopefully this mailing list responds to people in ways they are familiar with but at the same time prepares them for other

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-03 Thread Peter West
Every now and then ossers (open source people) get a bee in their bonnet about something. Top-posting is one of those somethings. The most popular email clients default to top-posting. There's a reason for that. On a list, if you are interested in a particular topic, you will have been

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-03 Thread anne-ology
exactly; logic seems to be missing in some folks ;-) From: Peter West li...@pbw.id.au Date: Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 5:58 PM Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately? To: users@global.libreoffice.org Every now and then ossers (open source people) get a bee

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-03 Thread Brian Barker
At 09:58 04/02/2014 +1000, Peter West wrote: It mystifies me that some ossers become tossers on this particular topic, ... Whatever value your argument might have had, you destroy it by being abusive and using an ad hominem argument, of course. It is thus surprising that you should choose

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-02-03 Thread pete nikolic
On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 05:33:24 + Brian Barker b.m.bar...@btinternet.com wrote: At 09:58 04/02/2014 +1000, Peter West wrote: It mystifies me that some ossers become tossers on this particular topic, ... Whatever value your argument might have had, you destroy it by being abusive and using

[libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-01-31 Thread James E Lang
This is top posted. I apologize but it seems appropriate in this case. A blind copy (to prevent Reply All from including the address) of this is also going to the list's postmaster. I'm a 75 year youngster. Over the last few months I've taken to reading and responding to eMail via K-9 Mail on

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-01-28 Thread Virgil Arrington
the list than MS's email software. I'm not a huge fan of MS, but I'm also not going to blame them for problems they didn't create. Virgil -Original Message- From: Brad Rogers Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:23 AM To: Libre Office ML Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-01-28 Thread Dave Liesse
Virgil, I don't think it's just the list. The mail client must have something to do with it, as well; I use Thunderbird and have a Reply List option on this list, while on some others I do and some I don't. Dave On 1/28/2014 14:47, Virgil Arrington wrote: Brad wrote: Unfortunately, at

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-01-28 Thread Peter West
I've just switched to Thunderbird from Apple Mail, and the Reply List button is very handy indeed. There is a minority of lists that exhibit the same behaviour as this one with replies. The fact that it is a minority makes it all the more likely that I will send replies to the wrong address -

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-01-28 Thread Dave Liesse
FWIW, I've done some searching of my email since my earlier post. It seems that I get the Reply All button for lists that are Yahoo! groups, and Reply List for lists that use real list servers. Dave On 1/28/2014 16:23, Peter West wrote: I've just switched to Thunderbird from Apple Mail, and

[libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-01-28 Thread Jim Byrnes
On 01/28/2014 06:33 PM, Dave Liesse wrote: And if you use Thunderbird and read the list through gmane you will see a followup button that replies only to the list. The reply button replies to the sender. Regards, Jim FWIW, I've done some searching of my email since my earlier post. It

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-01-27 Thread Girvin Herr
On 01/26/2014 02:40 AM, Tom Davies wrote: Hi :) Snip James Lang went back to the original question and like many people in another thread suggested the drop in traffic might be something to do with Reply taking messages off-list. Sadly bottom-posting meant his message got hidden under the

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-01-26 Thread pete nikolic
On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 14:07:02 -0600 anne-ology lagin...@gmail.com wrote: as for me, I don't even know what AskLO is - and probably don't want to know if it's similar to Facebook, Google, et.al. because I too don't want all the additional spam ... or the

[libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-01-26 Thread Tinkerer
I looked at ASKLO, but the requirement to sign up for Twitter I found off putting. Why cannot I just join ASK? Tink. -- View this message in context: http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/low-traffic-lately-tp4093796p4093989.html Sent from the Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com. -- To

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-01-26 Thread Anthony Baldwin
On 1/25/2014 3:07 PM, anne-ology wrote: as for me, I don't even know what AskLO is - It's http://ask.libreoffice.org I just figured that out, myself (searched duckduckgo for AskLO LibreOffice.) It looks like a simple Q/A forum. Doesn't look like FB or G+ or anything that stupid. It

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-01-26 Thread Anthony Baldwin
On 01/25/2014 05:46 PM, Girvin Herr wrote: +1 I have been working with general purpose computers since the mid 70s and made a pretty good career out of it until I retired 10 years ago. I don't do facebook because it violates my computer security rules and I strongly disagree with facebook's

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-01-26 Thread Tom Davies
Hi :) I was reading somewhere (or perhaps in a film) that Facebook considers itself to have reached market saturation once 55% of the people in a country/university/other-sample are using it. Continued investment in marketing brings diminishing returns so they cut their advertising budget there

[libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-01-26 Thread Owen Genat
CVAlkan wrote I've tried using AskLO several times and have never figured out how to set up an account, ... ... all I see are ways to sign in using Google or Facebook and so forth, and I don't have any of those accounts This thread has become hijacked by several comments about requiring a

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-01-26 Thread Pikov Andropov
Anthony Baldwin has written on 1/26/2014 12:01 AM: I keep hearing this, and it is quite true that many people, your average consumer whatever, are using their smartphones and tablets more to access internet stuff. But, there's a whole lot of things I do with a computer that are simply not

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-01-26 Thread Anthony Baldwin
On 1/26/2014 5:40 AM, Tom Davies wrote: Hi :) I was reading somewhere (or perhaps in a film) that Facebook considers itself to have reached market saturation once 55% of the people in a country/university/other-sample are using it. Continued investment in marketing brings diminishing returns so

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-01-26 Thread Anthony Baldwin
On 1/26/2014 9:40 AM, Pikov Andropov wrote: Anthony Baldwin has written on 1/26/2014 12:01 AM: No borrowed cloud storage, either. I will host and control my own data, thank you. Will you take it with you you go? (Younger) People want access to their data they are. I have a server in my

[libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-01-25 Thread CVAlkan
Hi Tom: Just my two cents. I've tried using AskLO several times and have never figured out how to set up an account, so I hope you don't drop this in favor of AskLO. Maybe I'm just dense (and I've only been using computers and bulletin boards and mailing lists and their descendants since the

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-01-25 Thread anne-ology
in the yard) From: CVAlkan fobe...@enteract.com Date: Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 1:29 PM Subject: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately? To: users@global.libreoffice.org Hi Tom: Just my two cents. I've tried using AskLO several times and have never figured out how to set up an account, so I hope you

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-01-25 Thread Dave Barton
CVAlkan wrote: Hi Tom: Just my two cents. I've tried using AskLO several times and have never figured out how to set up an account, so I hope you don't drop this in favor of AskLO. Maybe I'm just dense (and I've only been using computers and bulletin boards and mailing lists and their

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-01-25 Thread Girvin Herr
or twittering ... ... ... (I happen to enjoy watching, listening, to the birds, yet they stay in the yard) From: CVAlkan fobe...@enteract.com Date: Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 1:29 PM Subject: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately? To: users@global.libreoffice.org Hi Tom: Just my two

Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: low traffic lately?

2014-01-25 Thread upscope
On Saturday, January 25, 2014 11:29:58 AM CVAlkan wrote: Hi Tom: Just my two cents. I've tried using AskLO several times and have never figured out how to set up an account, so I hope you don't drop this in favor of AskLO. Maybe I'm just dense (and I've only been using computers and