Re: [Wikimedia-l] Are we losing out against bad editing?

2018-05-31 Thread Pine W
Hi Micru, On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 7:36 AM, David Cuenca Tudela wrote: > Pine, > It is nice of you that you thought about including these topics in the WMF > strategy process, which I assume it is an ongoing process and not a one-off > event. However as the 2017 cycle ended, I am unable to find

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Form 990 for FY 2016-2017 now on-wiki

2018-05-31 Thread Pine W
Thank you for this report. For the record, I note that I continue to object to what I consider to be inadequate transparency regarding WMF's finances and my deep skepticism that there are laws that prohibit a significantly greater degree of transparency. There may be some quirks of California law

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Category: French Jews on en.wp / GDPR

2018-05-31 Thread Samuel Klein
I agree with everything you say 100%. On Fri 1 Jun, 2018, 2:50 AM sashi, wrote: > Another follow-up: > > == > Benjamin Lees wrote: "No, French Christians are just tagged with > subcategories of Category:French Christians. The "requiring diffusion" > category that you complain of is in fact

[Wikimedia-l] GDPR and Wikimedia content?

2018-05-31 Thread Märt Põder
28.05.2018 00:32 David Gerard kirjutas: > But I'm wondering how we'll approach it for the Wikimedia sites. Not just > the log data - but the content. > > We already have problems with Right To Be Forgotten, and well-cited content > being removed from the search engines. > > What do we have in

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Are we losing out against bad editing?

2018-05-31 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Just a question. When you pay volunteers, where does it stop? Is it only for admins and if so why and, is it only for English Wikipedia and if so why? Thanks, GerardM On 28 May 2018 at 15:48, David Cuenca Tudela wrote: > Gnangarra, you have been showing a lot of generosity towards

[Wikimedia-l] Category: French Jews on en.wp / GDPR

2018-05-31 Thread sashi
Another follow-up: == Benjamin Lees wrote: "No, French Christians are just tagged with subcategories of Category:French Christians. The "requiring diffusion" category that you complain of is in fact a way to tell editors that pages in the category should really be in subcategories

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Does anyone know what wikimedia france are up to with the Request Network ?

2018-05-31 Thread Sylvain Boissel
Hi James, Le lun. 28 mai 2018 à 17:24, James Salsman a écrit : > Hi Nadine, thank you for this update. > > Does the French Chapter have a position on replacing bitcoin mining > with foldingcoin (http://foldingcoin.net)? I hope that all Wikimedians > will oppose the wasteful consumption of

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikipedia Library] New Free Research Accounts via the Wikipedia Library Card

2018-05-31 Thread Raphael Berchie
Great news kudos to the team for the constant hard work. *Raphael Berchie* Co Founder Open Foundation, West Africa, MA Student Mass Communications. Dan & Jonnie Winn Memorial Award Scholar. Wikimedian , Open Advocate, Climate Change Activist

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Does anyone know what wikimedia france are up to with the Request Network ?

2018-05-31 Thread Alphos OGame
Hello, I'm but a simple member of Wikimedia France, but I trust the Post Scriptum by Nadine was clear on the matter : "no other cryptocurrency donations project is planned". And yes, I believe that includes Foldingcoin. Personally, I'm fond of Folding@Home, I've even given more than my fair share

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Form 990 for FY 2016-2017 now on-wiki

2018-05-31 Thread Tony Le
* Sending on behalf of Jaime Villagomez Hello Everyone, The Wikimedia Foundation has submitted our annual Form 990 to the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and posted on-wiki[1]. The Form 990 is the annual financial reporting, known

[Wikimedia-l] First designs for Special:Block with Granular blocks feature

2018-05-31 Thread Sydney Poore
Hello all, The Wikimedia Foundation Anti-Harassment Tools team enlisted the assistance of Alex Hollender, a User Experience designer at Wikimedia Foundation to create wireframe designs of Special:Block with the Granular block feature included.1 Our first wireframes are based on the discussions

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Most wanted articles across languages

2018-05-31 Thread Amir E. Aharoni
This is indeed comparable, though from a slightly different aspect, and we are doing it completely ourselves. Hopefully it will be directly useful to editors, and also for improving the software. For example, we already used it to improve the functionality of the search box itself, so that it

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Most wanted articles across languages

2018-05-31 Thread James Heilman
Excellent. Google also provided a list of some of the most missing items in 13 languages of India as part of Project Tiger. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Supporting_Indian_Language_Wikipedias_Program/Contest/Topics James On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 10:58 AM, Amir E. Aharoni <

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Invitation to the Wikimedia Foundation May 2018 Metrics & Activities Meeting: Thursday, May 31, 18:00 UTC

2018-05-31 Thread Lena Traer
REMINDER: This meeting starts in 30 minutes. On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 4:15 PM, Lena Traer wrote: > Hello everyone, > > The next Wikimedia Foundation metrics and activities meeting will take > place on Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 6:00 PM UTC (11 AM PDT). The IRC channel > is #wikimedia-office on

[Wikimedia-l] Most wanted articles across languages

2018-05-31 Thread Amir E. Aharoni
Hi! There's a little research project I've been working on in the last few weeks: What are the articles that people are most often looking for in their language, and *cannot* find? I was doing this by looking at the logs of searches in the language search box in the interlanguage links panel and

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Are we losing out against bad editing?

2018-05-31 Thread David Cuenca Tudela
Pine, It is nice of you that you thought about including these topics in the WMF strategy process, which I assume it is an ongoing process and not a one-off event. However as the 2017 cycle ended, I am unable to find the way to incorporate new ideas into the process. I would have expected to find