Re: [Wikimedia-l] Solve legal uncertainty of Wikidata

2018-07-04 Thread Andreas Kolbe
On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 4:51 PM, Martijn Hoekstra wrote: > I have no dog in this race, but facts are not eligible for copyright > protection. > > Martijn, individual facts aren't eligible for copyright, but substantial compilations of facts are. The concept you are missing is "database rights":

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The Wikimedia Foundation's FY18-19 Annual Plan is on Meta-wiki

2018-07-04 Thread James Salsman
Pine, Thanks for your reply. Can you say more about which kind of SMART you prefer? According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMART_criteria the definitions have drifted since original publication of the term, including by authors who seem to have eclipsed the original's popularity. The T =

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Solve legal uncertainty of Wikidata

2018-07-04 Thread Martijn Hoekstra
I have no dog in this race, but facts are not eligible for copyright protection. On Wed, Jul 4, 2018, 17:11 Andreas Kolbe wrote: > On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 1:54 AM, Denny Vrandečić > wrote: > > > Gnom1 on Phabricator has offered to actually answer legal questions, but > we > > need to come up

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Solve legal uncertainty of Wikidata

2018-07-04 Thread Andreas Kolbe
On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 1:54 AM, Denny Vrandečić wrote: > Gnom1 on Phabricator has offered to actually answer legal questions, but we > need to come up with the questions that we want to ask. > > In the Phabricator discussion, Denny and others spent some considerable effort to come up with the

[Wikimedia-l] Polish Wikipedia - blackout for 24h

2018-07-04 Thread Wojciech Pędzich
Starting today, 15:00, Polish Wikipedia has been blacked out for its readers and editors for 24 hours, in response to unfavourable changes proposed to EU copyrigh directive. Wojciech Pędzich Secretary of the Board, Wikimedia Polska ___ Wikimedia-l

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikidata] Solve legal uncertainty of Wikidata

2018-07-04 Thread Maarten Dammers
Hi Mathieu, On 04-07-18 11:07, mathieu stumpf guntz wrote: Hi, Le 19/05/2018 à 03:35, Denny Vrandečić a écrit : Regarding attribution, commonly it is assumed that you have to respect it transitively. That is one of the reasons a license that requires BY sucks so hard for data: unlike with

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikidata] Solve legal uncertainty of Wikidata

2018-07-04 Thread mathieu stumpf guntz
Hi, Le 19/05/2018 à 03:35, Denny Vrandečić a écrit : Regarding attribution, commonly it is assumed that you have to respect it transitively. That is one of the reasons a license that requires BY sucks so hard for data: unlike with text, the attribution requirements grow very quickly. It is

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Solve legal uncertainty of Wikidata

2018-07-04 Thread mathieu stumpf guntz
Hi, Le 18/05/2018 à 19:45, Info WorldUniversity a écrit : At a Wikimedia conference in early 2017, with Lydia and Dario present, I think I learned that all books / WikiCitations in all 301 of Wikipedia languages could be licensed, or heading to be licensed, with CC-0 licensing -