[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-19 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Did we regress from a previous situation - yes Is the software still available to us - yes Do we have a serious issue with providing a service to our public - yes Is it is just one issue or is it one of many issues - one of many Has it improved over time, you tell me yes and you can point out

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-19 Thread Dariusz Jemielniak
Does some basic functionality work? Sure. Is it as good as Google? Nope. Is it as good as we can make it? Most likely not. BTW, we are not doing great in searches irrespective of multilingualism issues, but we have notably improved over time. best, Dariusz Jemielniak, "pundit" On Mon, Jul 19,

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-18 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, The notion that search works because "there is somewhere a thingie that you first have to select and oh it is a bit out the way" is an argument that can only be made by someone who invested a lot in it. The sad thing is, did you ever wonder if it worked because it does not. You did not

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-18 Thread Leo Z
Gerard, Fæ and others, You are both correct, if we treat commons as an auxiliary tool for media hosting, then yes, it’s ok and working fine. And to Gerard point, it’s effectively saying commons is difficult to use and navigate as a website for non-English speakers, which is totally

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-18 Thread Mike Peel
Hi, Just a reminder that multilingual search already works for Commons categories, for example search for 'telescopio lovell': https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?search=telescopio+lovell=Special:MediaSearch=Go=page This is because the Wikidata Infobox on Commons displays multilingual

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-18 Thread Mohamed ElGohary
I must say that in my experience along the years is that search is not a very strong feature in all Wikimedia projects, commons or not. Personally I use commercial search engines to custom search Wikimedia projects, and I include the Creative Commons search [https://search.creativecommons.org/] 

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-16 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, You have it the wrong way around. Our projects have a function, they exist for us to share in the sum of all knowledge. When a search engine provides results to a public in any language, it does not make a difference to how Commons is run. Your claim that finding pictures is only allowed when

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-16 Thread
It would be far more effective to make community and project proposals or run a wider community RFC about how the "common" projects work together rather than become a board member to make a difference in this area. The detail of how projects work and their policies is not something that the WMF

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-16 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, You make your point and you are essentially wrong. When you search in English for "beaver" you do not find beavers. They are mostly false positives related in one way or other to "beaver" but they do not depict a beaver[1] . This is true for all languages. My point is that Commons is not

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-16 Thread
On Tue, 6 Jul 2021 at 17:32, Gerard Meijssen wrote: > > Hoi. > One reason why I am a candidate for the board of the WMF is that in my > opinion one function is lacking. There is no reflection of the fact that all > that we do is to share the sum of all knowledge. It is not only about the >

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-14 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, In an ideal world, it is indeed the content of the Wikimedia projects that our public sees. Each project represents a set of editors who contribute to a project. In general, all well meaning contributors are welcome. Some contributors contribute regularly, take pride in it and associate

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-13 Thread Dggenwp
Certainly the projects have a role beyond content—in particular, they, not the foundation, are what the public sees. They are what it is needed to publicise (I don’t like to use the term “marketing “ — that’s the way the foundation speaks) and this is a key role of the chapters. The obvious

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-10 Thread Ciell Wikipedia
Bill/Will mentioned this might be a new organisational chart of the Wikimedia Foundation. Of course, visuals differ depending on what you are trying to visualize. This one

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-10 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, The purpose of a Wikipedia is to provide encyclopaedic knowledge to a public. The purpose of the Wikimedia projects is to share in the sum of all knowledge. What the Wikimedia organisation supports is the infrastructure for our public to share in the sum of all the knowledge available to us

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-09 Thread Željko Blaće
On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 11:17 PM Dggenwp wrote: > The projects are the route by which content is added to Wikipedia. The > purpose of Wikipedia is not to have an organisation—the purpose is to have > and distribute free content. Everything else is superstructure—everything > except the

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-09 Thread Dggenwp
The projects are the route by which content is added to Wikipedia. The purpose of Wikipedia is not to have an organisation—the purpose is to have and distribute free content. Everything else is superstructure—everything except the individual volunteers and the projects. This superstructure

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-06 Thread Željko Blaće
On Tuesday, July 6, 2021, Ciell Wikipedia wrote: > Thank you Bill, I always find organisation charts very much enlightening, > and have been missing something like it for the WMF for some time now. > I feel the same. We need much much more of diagramatic content and higher level of

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-06 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi. One reason why I am a candidate for the board of the WMF is that in my opinion one function is lacking. There is no reflection of the fact that all that we do is to share the sum of all knowledge. It is not only about the creation of content but also about sharing the sum all the knowledge

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-06 Thread Ciell Wikipedia
Thank you Bill, I always find organisation charts very much enlightening, and have been missing something like it for the WMF for some time now. I think all the departments of the WMF-side are equal, right? For instance, legal has no higher 'status' then fundraising or research: employees are

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-05 Thread Bill Takatoshi
> Please show me, in amongst all the official documents released in relation to > the strategy, where it recommends that WMF employees should have > representation on the WMF Board of Trustees. I feel it would be best if I stepped away for some days at least, to let the North American

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-05 Thread Risker
Ah, I think it becomes clearer now. This is your preferred version, not anything official, based on your interpretations. Please show me, in amongst all the official documents released in relation to the strategy, where it recommends that WMF employees should have representation on the WMF Board

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-05 Thread Bill Takatoshi
Here is the predicted org chart with Risker's suggestions: https://i.ibb.co/fpXyx3r/WMF-orgchart-2.png -Will On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 7:24 PM Bill Takatoshi wrote: > > Hi Anne, > > Thank you for both of your excellent questions. > > 1) In Germany, rank-and-file employees are required to be

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-05 Thread Bill Takatoshi
Hi Anne, Thank you for both of your excellent questions. 1) In Germany, rank-and-file employees are required to be represented in seat(s) on corporate boards of directors. Employee satisfaction is off the scale compared to North America, as are advantages such as healthcare untethered from

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Foundation org chart

2021-07-05 Thread Risker
Two questions, Bill. 1) Labour representation? Huh? 2) Where are the actual Wikimedia projects? I meanall of this is hubris if the projects aren't on the org chart. They're the raison d'etre of every aspect of the community. Risker/Anne On Mon, 5 Jul 2021 at 19:03, Bill Takatoshi wrote: