[Wikimedia-l] Statement of Wikimedia Taiwan to the Foundation and the global Wikimedia Movement communities

2019-06-18 Thread Ted Chien
Hi all, Regarding to the recent Hong Kong Extradition Bill, Wikimedia Taiwan has issued the following statement, please have a read. *** Wikimedia Taiwan requests the attention of Wikimedia Foundation and global communities of Wikimedia movement to the Hong Kong Extradition Bill related issues

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Copyright workflows - research (Was: Re: Foundation management of volunteers)

2019-06-18 Thread James Heilman
So Yann should we as a community just build something as a proof of concept? If we are talking less than 250 USD per month, I am sure we can scrounge up the money for a trial 6 month trial. James On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 2:59 AM Yann Forget wrote: > Hi, > > Yes, James' pricing doesn't match the

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Copyright workflows - research (Was: Re: Foundation management of volunteers)

2019-06-18 Thread Yann Forget
Yes, that would be very welcome by all contributors reviewing images. Regards, Yann On Tue, 18 Jun 2019, 22:29 James Heilman, wrote: > So Yann should we as a community just build something as a proof of > concept? If we are talking less than 250 USD per month, I am sure we can > scrounge up

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournals: A proposal to become a new sister project

2019-06-18 Thread Samuel Klein
Nice work. It will take time, but keep it up. On Thu., Jun. 6, 2019, 10:05 p.m. Thomas Shafee, wrote: > Some more notes, responses and thoughts on the topics raised above! > > *Impact and reach* > I fully agree that impact factor is of primary importance to many > researchers. However, many

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement of Wikimedia Taiwan to the Foundation and the global Wikimedia Movement communities

2019-06-18 Thread Samuel Klein
Ahh so. Thank you for thinking about this and sharing the results of your deliberation. SJ On Tue., Jun. 18, 2019, 10:36 a.m. Ted Chien, wrote: > Hi all, > > Regarding to the recent Hong Kong Extradition Bill, Wikimedia Taiwan has > issued the following statement, please have a read. > > *** >

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Copyright issues

2019-06-18 Thread Asaf Bartov
(Doc James is too modest to give himself credit, so it falls to me to point out that the tool was his own idea; I witnessed the birth of it at Wikimania 2014, when I connected him to Eran, who implemented the first version of the tool before the end of the conference.) A. On Tue, Jun 18, 2019

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Trust & Safety (was: New board for...)

2019-06-18 Thread Ciell Wikipedia
Hi Lodewijk, You say: *"My main takeaway from this discussion would be that it's good if there is a neutral review option for actions by the T team (or the WMF in general), such as an ombudsperson."* I think this is a very good idea, last Saturday we talked about an internal audit for this,

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Copyright workflows - research (Was: Re: Foundation management of volunteers)

2019-06-18 Thread Yann Forget
Hi, Yes, James' pricing doesn't match the actual cost. We do not need to check all images uploaded to Commons, only the suspicious ones (small images without EXIF data). If we check 2,000 images a day (more than enough IMO), that would cost $7 a day, so $210 a month. Regards, Yann Le mar. 18

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Foundation management of volunteers

2019-06-18 Thread Mister Thrapostibongles
Martin, Dennis The tenor of your arguments appears to be that Wikipedia is in fact reliable, because it uses reliable sources, but that it pretends not to be because it's too hard to prevent people writing article based on other articles. This is not in accord with the facts. As I pointed out,

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Foundation management of volunteers

2019-06-18 Thread Vi to
I've never seen a self-citing encyclopedia. Given its open editing structure it would be so easy to game the system by creating a series of cross-references. In short forbidding citing Wikipedia on Wikipedia avoids such short-circuits. No text is 100% accurate, Wikipedia relies upon the bet that

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Foundation management of volunteers

2019-06-18 Thread Martijn Hoekstra
No. What I'm saying is this: setting meeting the reliable sources policy of wikipedia as a condition for success, or not meeting that policy as evidence of failure is ridiculous. On Tue, Jun 18, 2019, 14:29 Mister Thrapostibongles < thrapostibong...@gmail.com> wrote: > Martin, Dennis > > The