RE: [WSG] Browser / OS Test on website.

2009-01-14 Thread Paul Collins
Hi Danny, The site looks great, just had a quick flick through. My only suggestion would be to repeat the main navigation at the bottom of each section, so you don't have to go back to the top every time you've read the section. Cheers Paul From:

RE: [WSG] Browser / OS Test on website.

2009-01-14 Thread Foskett, Mike
Hi Danny, Just one issue on the usage of headings. Try to use only one h1 tag at the beginning of the content. It's an accessibility thing. Follow that with h2 etc. Mike Foskett http://websemantics.co.uk/ From: li...@webstandardsgroup.org

Re: [WSG] Checking My Page

2009-01-14 Thread James Jeffery
I thinks it's worth reminding everyone on the list that Marvin is actually a blind web developer. Personally Marvin I would stick with plain vanilla HTML with no styles at all. Get rid of the Javascript and focus your time into developing and marking up some rich content. Never the less, given

RE: # Re: [WSG] Beta Testers Needed for BCAT

2009-01-14 Thread Christie Mason
-Original Message- From:f Hassan Schroeder Christie Mason wrote: Yes, I've tried Flex and abandoned the effort. ... Plus, there's the maintenance issue. Simple example I always use is what if you had to change a corporate logo in every Flash file? To do that with a dynamic

[WSG] Image with borders due to Anchor tag

2009-01-14 Thread Brett Patterson
Hi all, I do not know if this has been asked before, and if it has I apologize for asking again, but consider the following code: a href=http://www.mozilla.org; class=small-namesimg src=images/mozillalogos/mozilla/mozillafoundation.png alt=Mozilla Foundation title=Mozilla Foundation

Re: [WSG] Checking My Page

2009-01-14 Thread Susan Grossman
ps: so here's the url to the site. http://tracs.co.nz/marvin/ E-mail http://tracs.co.nz/marvin/E-mail: startrekc...@gmail.com MSN: sttartrekc...@msn.com Skype: startrekcafe We Are The Borg! You Will Be Assimilated! Resistance Is Futile! Star Trek Voyager Episode 68 Scorpian Part One

Re: # Re: [WSG] Beta Testers Needed for BCAT

2009-01-14 Thread Brett Patterson
I hope I can throw my 2 cents in. Not trying to argue, but to TRY and answer some questions. A question was asked early in this thread about what are the benefits of using Flash? There's been no answer to that question. I was hoping to learn some answers because I've been confused about why

Re: # Re: [WSG] Beta Testers Needed for BCAT

2009-01-14 Thread James Ducker
Hi WSG, This entire argument is getting a bit much. Nothing on the web is in and of itself particularly accessible. Accessibility in HTML is a joke unless you have been taught the right practices. Flash was, is, and will continue to be, primarily, a tool for delivery of rich, interactive media.

Re: # Re: [WSG] Beta Testers Needed for BCAT

2009-01-14 Thread Hassan Schroeder
Christie Mason wrote: CM - I wasn't talking about Flex. I was referring to Flash. I can see that I wasn't clear when I changed thoughts. And again, missing the point: Flash is a *platform* with which you can do a variety of things. It's not 1998 any more, and Flash is only about Dancing

Re: # Re: [WSG] Beta Testers Needed for BCAT

2009-01-14 Thread Brett Patterson
THANK YOU!!! I could not agree with you more. And in the same since, I think we agree with each other. Congratulations on an argument well-played. And well-thought!!! -- Brett P. On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:05 AM, James Ducker james.duc...@gmail.comwrote: Hi WSG, This entire argument is

Re: # Re: [WSG] Beta Testers Needed for BCAT

2009-01-14 Thread Brett Patterson
Christie, your argument is about the most ridiculous argument there is. Everything you have stated is SOLELY about you and your personal preferences. Observe: I'm not a highly visual person, I even prefer reading data to being given a graph. So what? *NONE OF THIS IS ABOUT YOU!!!* Your

Re: # Re: [WSG] Beta Testers Needed for BCAT

2009-01-14 Thread Brett Patterson
The below was to James Ducker. -- Brett P. On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Brett Patterson inspiron.patters...@gmail.com wrote: THANK YOU!!! I could not agree with you more. And in the same since, I think we agree with each other. Congratulations on an argument well-played. And

Re: # Re: [WSG] Beta Testers Needed for BCAT

2009-01-14 Thread Matt Morgan-May
On 1/14/09 5:38 AM, Christie Mason cma...@managersforum.com wrote: Plus, I'd be curious as to availability of the Flex server in remote hosts. I haven't seen any offer it, is it still so pricey(?), but I also haven't been looking for it. Flex hasn't been sold on a server basis since 1.5, which

RE: # Re: [WSG] Beta Testers Needed for BCAT

2009-01-14 Thread Christie Mason
From: Brett Patterson (BP) BP - Okay, first this part of the answer. There are different types of ways that people learn. I suggest reading: http://www.worldwidelearn.com/education-articles/how-do-you-learn.htm CM - That's a very simplistic theory of how people learn and it's actually a

RE: # Re: [WSG] Beta Testers Needed for BCAT

2009-01-14 Thread Christie Mason
Brett you are correct, This is a personal theory based on some personal observations. Do you use a Mac as your primary development computer? Christie Mason *** List Guidelines: http://webstandardsgroup.org/mail/guidelines.cfm

RE: # Re: [WSG] Beta Testers Needed for BCAT

2009-01-14 Thread Christie Mason
-Original Message- From: Hassan Schroeder It's *integrated* with the video, graphics, sound. Let's say you're teaching bicycle mechanics, and you have a video that demonstrates replacing a cog in a cassette. As the component is disassembled, you want to show the name and details of each

[WSG] SEO and Flash

2009-01-14 Thread Christie Mason
It seems that SEs are beginning to index text in Flash. Maybe the same will be true of screen readers, some day. http://www.seochat.com/c/a/Search-Engine-Optimization-Help/Search-Engine-Ind exing-for-Flash-Websites-is-Improving/#?kc=EWKNLINF01142009STR5 Christie Mason

Re: # Re: [WSG] Beta Testers Needed for BCAT

2009-01-14 Thread Brett Patterson
Pardon the language, but Hell no. For a number of different reasons. Among that being, I can't work with the code as good as I can with Microsoft's and the fact that it costs too much money. Although it is proprietary, I can recode most of what I need to do (Microsoft's code). To say I disagree

Re: # Re: [WSG] Beta Testers Needed for BCAT

2009-01-14 Thread Brett Patterson
Forgot to mention several other things, Christie. 1. If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail, I am still laughing at that. CM - Interaction is more than clicking on a link or moving things around on a screen. Those links are easier to develop and manage with HTML, plus

[WSG] embedding quicktime .mov cross-platform

2009-01-14 Thread Ron Zisman
anybody know of a solid way to embed quicktime movies cross-platform-- in a standards sort of way. i've googled around and haven't found what i need. i'm told my current method hates IE. surprise. test page here: http://www.ricochet.org/test_flippin/georg_tampered.html thanks in advance

RE: # Re: [WSG] Beta Testers Needed for BCAT

2009-01-14 Thread Christie Mason
Well there goes that theory. My thoughts were something like graphically oriented people are attracted to using Macs and Flash. BCAT's attempting to make Flash accessible is good but if the content hadn't been made inaccessible in the first place, then it wouldn't be needed. Yes, Flash can be

[WSG] Re: Browser / OS Test on website.

2009-01-14 Thread Elle Meredith
On 15/01/2009, at 1:06 AM, wsg@webstandardsgroup.org wsg@webstandardsgroup.org wrote: * From: Danny Croft static...@gmail.com Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 20:02:52 + Subject: Browser / OS Test on website. Link:

Re: # Re: [WSG] Beta Testers Needed for BCAT

2009-01-14 Thread Brett Patterson
And we do agree. But again, NOT THE POINT, although it may be wrong, it may need to be designed accessible in the first place, it hasn't, so don't argue the point. End it at the fact that something needs to be done and people are ignorant. BCAT is doing what people should be doing, fixing things

[WSG] It's about web standards: use SVG, not Adobe's proprietary Flash

2009-01-14 Thread David Lane
I agree, James, that this discussion is getting tiring. Ultimately, this list is about promoting web standards. Adobe Flash is not a web standard, and therefore we shouldn't be promoting it because its use is counter to the aims of this group. Until Adobe does with Flash what it did with PDF

[WSG] Re: Title attribute

2009-01-14 Thread Elle Meredith
On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:51:52, Chris Dimmock wrote: Actually, using the 'title' attribute in a link does NOT add a little bit of SEO. Title element ('Page Title') - yes for SEO - but title attribute - no. Try it yourself. Put a few words in a title attribute - words which don't otherwise

Re: # Re: [WSG] Beta Testers Needed for BCAT

2009-01-14 Thread Andrew Maben
On Jan 14, 2009, at 3:22 PM, Christie Mason wrote: Well there goes that theory. My thoughts were something like graphically oriented people are attracted to using Macs and Flash. BCAT's attempting to make Flash accessible is good but if the content hadn't been made inaccessible in the

Re: [WSG] SEO and Flash

2009-01-14 Thread Patrick H. Lauke
Christie Mason wrote: It seems that SEs are beginning to index text in Flash. Maybe the same will be true of screen readers, some day. http://www.seochat.com/c/a/Search-Engine-Optimization-Help/Search-Engine-Ind exing-for-Flash-Websites-is-Improving/#?kc=EWKNLINF01142009STR5 The needs of

Re: [WSG] SEO and Flash

2009-01-14 Thread S.R. Emerson
This partnership was announced back in July of 2008. It is not the be all, end all solution for flash websites to be indexed by search engines and directories. http://blog.v7n.com/2008/07/01/search-engine-friendly-flash/ S. Emerson Accrete Web Solutions http://www.accretewebsolutions.ca

Re: # Re: [WSG] Beta Testers Needed for BCAT - THREAD CLOSED

2009-01-14 Thread russ - maxdesign
THREAD CLOSED ­ GONE ON LONG ENOUGH Please do not reply to this thread any more. Thanks Russ List admin *** List Guidelines: http://webstandardsgroup.org/mail/guidelines.cfm Unsubscribe:

Re: [WSG] It's about web standards: use SVG, not Adobe's proprietary Flash

2009-01-14 Thread David Lane
At the risk of responding to my own post... it occurs to me that Adobe would have an amazing business opportunity if they released their Flash authoring tools with full SVG support - i.e. the ability author SVG content with the same tools that are currently used to author Flash... if they could

Re: [WSG] Re: Browser / OS Test on website.

2009-01-14 Thread Danny Croft
Thank you for your suggestions and pointers everyone! I promise you it is really appreciated. I think i will make some changes soon and maybe email you all again just to see what you think. Once again thank you! Danny - Original Email - Danny Croft wrote:

[WSG] Checking My Page

2009-01-14 Thread Marvin Hunkin
HI James. well, got over 800 pages of content, for my star trek site, and just wanted to get my front page and the css, formatted right. need the nav links, and the java script. that is part of my design. just needed help with css errors, and general feedback on formatting, colours, backgrounds,

Re: [WSG] Re: Browser / OS Test on website.

2009-01-14 Thread James Ducker
Under Skills you have Search Engine Optimisation and a few lines below that SEO (Search Engine Optimisation). ... or is this a SEO technique? ;o) On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Danny Croft static...@gmail.com wrote: Thank you for your suggestions and pointers everyone! I promise you it is

Re: [WSG] Frames/iFrames [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

2009-01-14 Thread Mary-Anne . Nayler
yes mark, we are a Government entity. Just so you know, I am talking about approving the use of iframes NOT frames in a limited capacity due to specific technical difficulties. The Government guidelines say that online content should be accessible. From what I understand of WCAG2.0, It is

Re: [WSG] Frames/iFrames [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

2009-01-14 Thread Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis
On 14/1/09 05:31, mary-anne.nay...@medicareaustralia.gov.au wrote: They are using them to facilitate the menu/header/footer ite,s across a host of applications which sit on a range of differing servers using a rang of differing technologies. I suggested SSI's but that is not possible due to

RE: [WSG] Re: Browser / OS Test on website.

2009-01-14 Thread Linda Mitchell
Small grammar error on page Get in touch your development team then their are loads of ways s/be your development team then there are loads of ways and on the same page in Recent activity Probably the best brief for a site I have ever recieved s/be received These type of errors can give the

Re: [WSG] Re: Title attribute

2009-01-14 Thread Chris Dimmock
Hi Elle, title attributes do help SEO and google does find them, Elle - my specific example showed that your statement above just isn't true, as I'll explain again below. if the word appears only once in the page (and especially not in the main text), it is quite logical that that page will

Re: [WSG] SEO and Flash

2009-01-14 Thread Stuart Foulstone
If the text in Flash is accessible SEs will index it. Search robots are in effect blind readers. If text in Flash is accessible, screen readers can read it. However, sensible screen-reader users disable Flash. On Wed, January 14, 2009 7:21 pm, Christie Mason wrote: It seems that SEs are