Applescript for opening Yojimbo Notes in BBEdit

2007-12-19 Thread McGonegal Robert
Has anyone made an Applescript to open a Yojimbo note directly in  
BBEdit?


If not, would the proper procedure be to export the note to disk,  
open it in BBEdit and then have the Finder delete it from disk?


Robert McGonegal

--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Archiving

2007-12-19 Thread bcathey

Hi,

Not new to Yojimbo, but to this list.

One of my issues has been the archiving of old collections, i.e.,  
what do I do with a collection I no longer readily need, but I just  
don't want to delete.


The only thing I can think of is creating a new folder somewhere on my  
hard drive and then dragging and dropping all the notes in that  
collection and THEN deleting the folder. Not real convenient.


I'd love to 1) be able to drag the entire collection to my desktop, or  
2) drag a collection drop into an other collection (called  
Archives), 3) have a real archive function.


I've writing to Barebones and they tell me none of these options are  
going to happen.


What am I missing?

-bcathey

--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Applescript for opening Yojimbo Notes in BBEdit

2007-12-19 Thread Steve Kalkwarf

Has anyone made an Applescript to open a Yojimbo note directly in BBEdit?

If not, would the proper procedure be to export the note to 
disk, open it in BBEdit and then have the Finder delete it from disk?


Getting the contents of the note to BBEdit (minus all 
formatting) is trivial, but any edits you make there will be 
lost, and not make it back to Yojimbo.


What are you trying to accomplish?


--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Restricting Spotlight to search only Yojimbo items

2007-12-19 Thread Martin Gardner

Alternative universe?

1) when I try a straight-ahead spotlight search on safari notes I  
turn up, unsurprisingly, a Yojimbo item whose title includes the  
words Safari and Notes among dozens of other hits


2) when I try a spotlight search on safari notes kind:yojimbo item  
several things are found, none of them Yojimbo items.


3) when I try a spotlight search on safari notes kind:yojimbo  
item  only Yojimbo items are found, but none of them is the item  
found in the first search.


Now this is puzzlingany hints about what is happening here?

(OS 10.4.11, Yojimbo 1.5.  the  characters delimit the literal text  
that was typed, but weren't themselves entered.)


Martin



On 5 Dec 2007, at 13:51, Kenneth Kirksey wrote:



On Dec 5, 2007, at 4:27 PM, Patrick Gilmour wrote:

Now that Spotlight is so fast with Yojimbo (especially on 10.5),  
I'll be using it a lot. But if I want to do a search of Yojimbo  
items only is this possible?


append kind:yojimbo item (without the quotes) to your spotlight  
Search.


FYI, you can search on Yojimbo tags by using the keyword specifier.  
e.g.


   keyword:mytag kind:yojimbo item



--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's  
workingcorrectly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]



--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Archiving

2007-12-19 Thread TjL
On 12/19/07, bcathey [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

 I've writing to Barebones and they tell me none of these options are
 going to happen.

 What am I missing?

DevonThink :-)

If Yojimbo has a motto, it's Keep It Super Simple.

If DevonThink has a motto, it's written in 712 languages and
accessible in 47 different ways and there will probably be 5 more
available by the end of the week.

Yojimbo is Sit Down and It Just Works.

DevonThink is Sit Down, play with it, check the manual, learn some
more, check the forum, figure out some other stuff, turn around again,
figure something else out.

If you want power and flexibility, DT is the way to go.

If you want power and ease of use, Yojimbo is your best friend.

I think the best use of Yojimbo is probably as an Inbox for DT or
another program such as Tinderbox.  This article makes a lot of sense
to me:

http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2007/01/the_tag_team_carbon_combinatio.html

However, that said, I only ever find myself dumping stuff into
Yojimbo, even though I have DevonThink.

TjL

-- 
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Applescript for opening Yojimbo Notes in BBEdit

2007-12-19 Thread McGonegal Robert

On 19-Dec-07, at 8:17 AM, Steve Kalkwarf wrote:

Has anyone made an Applescript to open a Yojimbo note directly in  
BBEdit?


If not, would the proper procedure be to export the note to disk,  
open it in BBEdit and then have the Finder delete it from disk?


Getting the contents of the note to BBEdit (minus all formatting)  
is trivial, but any edits you make there will be lost, and not make  
it back to Yojimbo.


What are you trying to accomplish?


Basically? Using Yojimbo to store and retrieve text and code  
snippets. Yojimbo's RTF certainly isn't ideal for that but BBEdit  
having it's own database would be very useful.


With do shell script, textutil -convert HTML plus some fancy  
grep, it seems like it'd be possible to preserve what formatting is  
useful and strip the rest out. Run html2text.py at the end and it  
could even end up as Markdown, as another example.


but any edits you make there will be lost, and not make it back to  
Yojimbo.


I'm assuming a second Applescript would be needed to send info back  
to Yojimbo so that'd more properly be a separate topic. But I'm not  
experienced with Applescript so first things first, I thought I'd  
attempt something very trivial to start out.


Robert McGonegal

--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Scrapping Synced libraries and starting over?

2007-12-19 Thread Andrew Janjigian
Apologies in advance for the length of this email, but my story cannot
be told in brief.

Ever since the 1.5 upgrade, my synced YJ libraries have been a
trainwreck, and as of yet, I have had no luck getting BB support to
give me a useful answer on how to fix it. No offense to them intended,
and they may well be working on the solution as I write this, but I
thought posting to the list may help. I have been unsynced for going
on a week now, and completely frustrated.

Here is the situation. I have 5 machines that sync over dotmac, 3 of
which sync a YJ db: a BlackBook running Leopard, a G5 running Leopard,
and a G5 running Tiger. Of the three, only my laptop has a working,
full YJ db; the other two are empty, save the Welcome to Yojimbo
note that, friendly as it is, I am sick to death of seeing, its
continuing presence signifying my ongoing syncing nightmare.

I'm not sure what exactly went wrong in the first place, but I suspect
it had something to do with the YJ library upgrade mandated by version
1.5 happening at the same time that an automatic sync was taking
place. Whatever the cause, what I ended up with was a syncing error
across all three machines that would not go away. Fortunately, the
library on my laptop is current and intact, so I have not lost any
data.

I have had a similar problem before, and appealed to support for
assistance. They sent me a detailed set of instructions for fixing the
problem, which did work each previous time around. The solution then
was to 1) backup my main library, 2) Delete libraries and caches from
all other machines, 3) halt synchronization and delete local sync data
from all machines 4) Reset dotmac syncing 5) Sync each machine,
merging all data.

This time around, this procedure did not work. I have applied the
appropriate set of steps to each of my machines, multiple times over,
to no avail. I have also tried unregistering and re-registering each
machine, replacing data from the good machine to dotmac, and replacing
the data on the bad machines from dotmac. Still, no dice.

When I sync now, whether automatically or manually, the machines go
thru the motions of a sync, even warning me about a greater than 50%
change to the library (at least in the beginning, when the sync state
has been reset), but even then, no items are added to the empty
libraries. (It may or may not be useful to know that all other dotmac
data is consistent and up-to-date across all 5 machines.)

Since I have one intact library, and two empty ones, it seems to me
that it SHOULD be easy enough to trick the bad machines into thinking
that they have never had YJ installed on them, and sync as new from
the good machine thru dotmac. At one point these machines had never
seen YJ, so I can't see why they can't be restored to a virgin YJ
state again.

Does anyone here have any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
At Wits End
Cambridge, MA

-- 
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Scrapping Synced libraries and starting over?

2007-12-19 Thread Jan Pieter Kunst
2007/12/19, Andrew Janjigian [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

 Does anyone here have any suggestions on how to proceed?

I very much doubt that I can give better advice than the Barebones
staff. However, if I were in your shoes, I would not try to fill the
empty libraries by syncing them. I would copy the 'good' library
manually to the machines that need them, reset any syncing business,
and start over with a clean slate. It's what I did before I started
syncing between my desktop and laptop.

JP

-- 
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Scrapping Synced libraries and starting over?

2007-12-19 Thread Andrew Janjigian
JP -

I have considered this option, but I worried that somehow the copied
library would make things worse; if the syncing mechanism saw the
items in the copied library as new, it would then duplicate them
across the machines. I could end up with as many copies of each item
as I have machines. But you say that it worked for you, so maybe I
should give it a try. At this point, however, while I await an
official response, I'm just interested in hearing thoughts of people
on the list.

Thanks
Andrew

On Dec 19, 2007 4:33 PM, Jan Pieter Kunst [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 2007/12/19, Andrew Janjigian [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

  Does anyone here have any suggestions on how to proceed?

 I very much doubt that I can give better advice than the Barebones
 staff. However, if I were in your shoes, I would not try to fill the
 empty libraries by syncing them. I would copy the 'good' library
 manually to the machines that need them, reset any syncing business,
 and start over with a clean slate. It's what I did before I started
 syncing between my desktop and laptop.

 JP


 --
 --
 This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
   the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
 To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
 Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working
 correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


-- 
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Scrapping Synced libraries and starting over?

2007-12-19 Thread Jan Pieter Kunst
2007/12/19, Andrew Janjigian [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
 JP -

 I have considered this option, but I worried that somehow the copied
 library would make things worse; if the syncing mechanism saw the
 items in the copied library as new, it would then duplicate them
 across the machines. I could end up with as many copies of each item
 as I have machines. But you say that it worked for you, so maybe I
 should give it a try. At this point, however, while I await an
 official response, I'm just interested in hearing thoughts of people
 on the list.

 Thanks
 Andrew

Well, whatever you do, be sure to keep a backup copy of your good
library somewhere safe.

Good luck,
Jan Pieter

-- 
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Archiving

2007-12-19 Thread bcathey

Thanks Pete,

I liked your script and just tweaked it a bit. I do plan to add a  
remove option at some point. The solution is not as elegant as an  
actual feature in the software itself, but...


tell application Yojimbo
tell front browser window
set colls to selected collections
repeat with coll in colls
set everyi to every database item of coll
set destination to ((path to desktop folder) as text)
tell application Finder
make new folder at destination with properties 
{name:name of coll}
end tell
export everyi to destination  name of coll
(*remove everyi etc.*)
end repeat
end tell
end tell

On Dec 19, 2007, at 9:45 AM, pete boardman wrote:


On 19 Dec 2007, at 12:20, bcathey wrote:

I'd love to 1) be able to drag the entire collection to my desktop,  
or 2) drag a collection drop into an other collection (called  
Archives), 3) have a real archive function.


I've writing to Barebones and they tell me none of these options  
are going to happen.


What am I missing?


I'm new to Yojimbo so don't take too much notice of the  
following My understanding is that Yojimbo's primary focus is  
being really easy to use - dump stuff in, and search for it later.  
If every conceivable task were to have a button or menu for it, then  
you end up with Microsoft Word instead...:)


Obviously for 1) you can select everything inside a collection and  
drag it to a Finder folder, then delete the selection (if you're  
clever, you can do it without losing Yojimbo as the front  
application). Only a couple of gestures... Oh, and you'd have to  
delete the collection too.


I suspect this is scriptable...:)

I don't really see the point of 2) because that would require  
hierarchical collections And they're all still in the Library  
anyway.


If you want to hide a collection, you could always name it with a  
blank, and give it an icon of white space. It does look a bit  
stupid, though, with the trash underneath the empty lines, and if  
you have the counts showing too it's even stupiderI suppose having  
counts on a collection by collection basis, and a hideable trash,  
aren't going to happen either, though.


A real archive function sounds like a nice idea. Kind of Export and  
Delete. Another applescript.


tell application Yojimbo
tell front browser window
set colls to selected collections
repeat with coll in colls
set everyi to every database item of coll
			export everyi to ((path to desktop folder) as text)  untitled  
folder

end repeat
end tell
end tell

There's probably room for a 'delete' in there somewhere. (I don't  
like testing scripts with 'delete' in them...)





--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's  
workingcorrectly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]




Yojimbo Password Modification Date

2007-12-19 Thread Ivan Pan

Hi all,

I noticed the modification date of the Password record did not change  
when I updated the Comments field or the Name field. Is this an  
intended behavior? If so, how can I 'touch' the record, i.e. change  
the modification date?


Yojimbo Version: v1.5 (62)
Mac OS X: 10.5.1 Intel and PPC

ip

--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


zoom hot key, slider?

2007-12-19 Thread Michael Young

I think it would make sense to have a hot key for Zoom In and Zoom Out.
Using View  Zoom In is tedious if I have to do it three times.
Or maybe slider?   —Michael
--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]