Re: Almost happy with Yojimbo the way it is

2008-05-01 Thread Charlie Garrison

Good afternoon,

On 1/5/08 at 12:04 AM -0400, Jerry Weldon [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

In other words, I want to be able to have multiple 
self-contained library databases. This would not add any 
complexity whatsoever for those who like Yojimbo the way it 
is--they can simply continue using one monolithic library--but 
it would add an order of magnitude of usefulness for me, and I 
suspect for others as well.


There is another software package, can't recall the name of it 
right now, which will manage multiple prefs/databases/whatever 
for programs that are not designed around 'documents'. You 
should be able to use that to have multiple databases for Yojimbo.



Charlie

--
   Charlie Garrison  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   PO Box 141, Windsor, NSW 2756, Australia

O ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail - www.asciiribbon.org
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Happy with Yojimbo the way it is!

2008-05-01 Thread Krzysztof Maj


On 2008-05-01, at 04:44, Charlie Garrison wrote:


Good afternoon,

On 30/4/08 at 5:31 PM -0400, Luis Roca [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
 wrote:



With that said I’m going to make a non-feature request to the Bare
Bones/Yojimbo team : Please don’t include a nested folder feature  
in the

next or any future releases of Yojimbo. PLEASE!!!


How refreshing, thanks Luis.  :-)

I'm also another very satisfied Yojimbo user. When I first started  
using it, I was creating collections and diligently filing new  
items. I never use collections now. The search field is way more  
flexible and very quick. I just add items to Y and trust they will  
be there when I need them.


The content/indexing of items is generally enough to search on (for  
bookmarks I will often grab the first paragraph of the page to add  
to comment field). And even though I was using tags religiously,  
I've even stopped doing that expect for rare circumstances.


Yojimbo is my knowledge base, and I've never had any trouble finding  
info I need. Well, that's not true, I have had problems but it's my  
own fault for not having moved everything from DevonTHINK yet. So if  
it's info from that long ago, I fire up DevonTHINK, find the info I  
was missing, and add it to Yojimbo.


And for everyone else who feels they MUST continue asking for the  
kitchen sink, Please read the last two lines of the sig on every  
message on this list. I want to use this list to learn how to better  
use the program we have, not speculate on how an excellent program  
can maybe improve marginally.




Hi all,
well I see that everybody are very heppy using Yojimbo, which is good.  
I am also happy Yojimbo user, and I am still trying to get used to  
pholosophy of personal management in Yojimbo. It is getting more and  
more suited for my needs, but when you are using such kind of program  
you need more and more. I don't want to have big application for  
everything, but some features IMHO need to be implemented if Yojimbo  
want to be on top of today personal management application market.  
Now we have centrilized iCal/TODO store in the Leopard for instance,  
we have more and more multimedia staff on our HDD so the list of smart  
collection is growing and growing and tha last, but no least tagging.  
Would be really nice to have all the home brewed apple scripts  
implemented in Yojimbo to do PDF Save with tags, automatically tag the  
items when you drag them to the smart collection, import NetNewsWire  
webpages with tags etc. Now you have to look throught the Internet  
sites to find the proper script or try do it by yourself right? So why  
do not implement all these functionalities to Yojimbo?


Krzysztof Maj 
--

--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Almost happy with Yojimbo the way it is

2008-05-01 Thread Rhet Turnbull
  There is another software package, can't recall the name of it right now,
 which will manage multiple prefs/databases/whatever for programs that are

rooSwitch
http://roobasoft.com/rooSwitch/

--Rhet

On 5/1/08, Charlie Garrison [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 Good afternoon,

  On 1/5/08 at 12:04 AM -0400, Jerry Weldon [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:


  In other words, I want to be able to have multiple self-contained library
 databases. This would not add any complexity whatsoever for those who like
 Yojimbo the way it is--they can simply continue using one monolithic
 library--but it would add an order of magnitude of usefulness for me, and I
 suspect for others as well.
 

  There is another software package, can't recall the name of it right now,
 which will manage multiple prefs/databases/whatever for programs that are
 not designed around 'documents'. You should be able to use that to have
 multiple databases for Yojimbo.


  Charlie

  --
Charlie Garrison  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PO Box 141, Windsor, NSW 2756, Australia

  O ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail - www.asciiribbon.org
  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt


  --
 --
  This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
   the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
  To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  List archives:
 http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
  Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working correctly?
 Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


-- 
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Almost happy with Yojimbo the way it is

2008-05-01 Thread Steve Kalkwarf
I'm not singling out Rhet, but there are several ideas embodied 
in this paragraph that bear comment:


If someone from BareBones does pipe in, it's usually to say 
We're never going to add that feature.  See previous post...  
This compares poorly to several other indie-Mac software lists 
I'm on (such as the forum for Leap and Yep, both excellent 
applications: http://www.ironicsoftware.com/) where the 
developer is happy to get feedback on what users actually want 
and participates in the dialogue.


Let me start off by saying no matter what I, or another Bare 
Bones representative says, a large number of people will be 
unhappy. For years we said Thanks for the feedback, and we'll 
consider adding this functionality. Then, email every time we 
shipped an update we'd get a reminder email, asking why the 
feature wasn't in that version. Other people waited and waited 
for the feature to arrive, but it wasn't going to. I thought 
that was unfair.


Now, if a feature request has a known disposition, we generally 
share that answer. Nested folders? No. If you _have_ to have 
that feature, you will be better off elsewhere. Does this 
compare poorly with other companies? I don't know. I prefer 
the honest answer, whether it makes people happy or not.


Another assumption (again, not picking on Rhet) is that 
implementing every feature request is a good idea. If you take a 
step back and look at the types of requests people make, with 
rare exception (nested folders, smart collections, better tag 
management) they are particular to the requester's existing 
workflow. The one feature I have to have is not the one 
feature you have to have, or Charlie has to have, or probably 
more than a couple people have to have.


The implied assumption that tends to go along with almost any 
request is that adding feature X doesn't increase the complexity 
of Yojimbo. That is untrue.


In a past life, I spent countless hours helping novice Mac users 
find the files they had lost, because they had no idea where 
they were saving, or because they saved all their files in the 
Word folder, and when they updated Word, lost everything. The 
average computer user is overwhelmed by choices, and as simple 
as this sounds, every feature or menu item represents a choice. 
By no means am I the authority on simplicity vs. complexity, but 
our goal was to make Yojimbo powerful, yet simple to use.


Another interesting belief carried by most power users (and I 
include myself in this group) is that they are representative of 
all users. This can't be farther from the truth.


Everybody on this list sees the mailing list posts. I see those, 
and tech support inquiries. There are more support inquires than 
there are posts on this list. Way more. I can assure you that 
everyone on this list is head and shoulders above most customers 
writing in for help.


If you made it this far, thanks for reading. As your reward, a 
summary of the popular requests, and their status:


Nested folders: Sorry, no.

Smart collections: Yes, near the top of the list.

Better tagging interactions: Nearer the top of the list.

Stuff nobody has asked for: At the top of the list. And before
anyone asks why stuff nobody asked for is higher up 
than the

one feature I have to have, remember, nobody asked us to
write Yojimbo, either.

Updates to other Bare Bones products: What do you think 
we've been

doing since the last Yojimbo update? :-)

Steve


--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Almost happy with Yojimbo the way it is

2008-05-01 Thread Sherman Wilcox

On May 1, 2008, at 7:20 AM, Steve Kalkwarf wrote:

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. As your reward, a  
summary of the popular requests, and their status:


In fact, it's the first post I've read FULLY for quite a while. Thanks!


Updates to other Bare Bones products: What do you think we've been
   doing since the last Yojimbo update? :-)



Well, as they say on Law  Order, you opened the door. So, this begs  
the question: I don't know, what HAVE you been doing with Mailsmith? I  
paid for Mailsmith a long long time ago. And I haven't used it in a  
long time. I understand your comments about the one feature I have to  
have, but ... IMAP.


--
Sherman






--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Automatically Open PDFs In Other Applications

2008-05-01 Thread Peter Williams

Hi All,

I'm a fairly-new subscriber, so my apologies if this has been covered:

	Is there any way to automatically open PDFs in a different  
application? Yojimbo's viewer isn't the greatest.


	I know this can be done with a right-click (to open Preview), but I'd  
like to set it up to work automatically, like iPhoto's preferences can  
be set to open photos in an external editor, such as Photoshop.


Thanks in advance for any help:-)

Peter Williams
Livingston
Scotland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]





[admin] Re: Almost happy with Yojimbo the way it is

2008-05-01 Thread Patrick Woolsey
Sorry for the interruption, but as a reminder, this is *Yojimbo-Talk* :-)


Regards,

 Patrick Woolsey
==
Bare Bones Software, Inc.http://www.barebones.com
P.O. Box 1048, Bedford, MA 01730-1048



Sherman Wilcox [EMAIL PROTECTED] sez:

On May 1, 2008, at 7:20 AM, Steve Kalkwarf wrote:

 If you made it this far, thanks for reading. As your reward, a
 summary of the popular requests, and their status:

In fact, it's the first post I've read FULLY for quite a while. Thanks!

 Updates to other Bare Bones products: What do you think we've been
doing since the last Yojimbo update? :-)


Well, as they say on Law  Order, you opened the door. So, this begs
the question: I don't know, what HAVE you been doing with Mailsmith? I
paid for Mailsmith a long long time ago. And I haven't used it in a
long time. I understand your comments about the one feature I have to
have, but ... IMAP.



-- 
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Automatically Open PDFs In Other Applications

2008-05-01 Thread Carlton Gibson

Hi Peter,

The Item menu shows a View with Preview option when a PDF is selected.

I don't know if you can attach a shortcut to it... (anyone... hint,  
hint... :)


Regards,
Carlton


On 1 May 2008, at 15:15, Peter Williams wrote:


Hi All,

	I'm a fairly-new subscriber, so my apologies if this has been  
covered:


	Is there any way to automatically open PDFs in a different  
application? Yojimbo's viewer isn't the greatest.


	I know this can be done with a right-click (to open Preview), but  
I'd like to set it up to work automatically, like iPhoto's  
preferences can be set to open photos in an external editor, such  
as Photoshop.


Thanks in advance for any help:-)

Peter Williams
Livingston
Scotland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]






--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Almost happy with Yojimbo the way it is

2008-05-01 Thread Mark Smith


On 01. May. 08, at 17:04 , Steve Kalkwarf wrote:

For reasons far to detailed to go into, multiple libraries and .Mac  
syncing cannot co-exist. Trust me on this one.


This is interesting. Is this a (current) limitation of .mac syncing  
that is associated with SQL CoreData libraries ? I can think of other  
3rd party apps that can sync multiple entities over .mac, but  
perhaps they all have a different data storage model ? Until you made  
this statement, I was thinking^[1] that this could work as long as all  
libraries had unique names/IDs.



Mark.

[1]: FWIW, this is something for which I anticipate a need in certain  
apps (e.g. Things) with which I work from more than one machine, but  
not in Yojimbo. I use Yojimbo (perhaps as intended) for storing  
everything in one place, rather than e.g. keeping private and  
professional apart. (Maybe the difference is that I retrieve from  
Yojimbo, but (in this example) work in Things. Clutter in Yojimbo  
would only be a problem if it prevented me from finding something.






--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Automatically Open PDFs In Other Applications

2008-05-01 Thread Dennis

On May 1, 2008, at 7:24 AM, Carlton Gibson wrote:

The Item menu shows a View with Preview option when a PDF is  
selected.


I don't know if you can attach a shortcut to it... (anyone... hint,  
hint... :)


You can attach a keyboard shortcut to any menu bar option using System  
Preferences - Keyboard  Mouse - Keyboard Shortcuts. Just hit the  
little plus (+) button at the bottom to add a new keyboard shortcut,  
specify Yojimbo, and add the exact name of them menu command you want.


Hope this helps.

-Dennis

--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Almost happy with Yojimbo the way it is

2008-05-01 Thread Lorin Rivers


On May 1, 2008, at 8:20 AM, Steve Kalkwarf wrote:

snip
If you made it this far, thanks for reading. As your reward, a  
summary of the popular requests, and their status:


   Nested folders: Sorry, no.

   Smart collections: Yes, near the top of the list.

   Better tagging interactions: Nearer the top of the list.

   Stuff nobody has asked for: At the top of the list. And before
   anyone asks why stuff nobody asked for is higher up than the
   one feature I have to have, remember, nobody asked us to
   write Yojimbo, either.


If I'd asked people what they wanted, they would have asked for a  
better horse.

- Henry Ford, industrialist (1863–1947)



   Updates to other Bare Bones products: What do you think we've been
   doing since the last Yojimbo update? :-)


Is Yojimbo the One True App? No. Doth it rock, nevertheless? Yes it  
does.


Thanks for making it, thanks for continuing to improve it, and I'm  
looking forward to the next release...


--
Lorin Rivers
Mosasaur: Killer Technical Marketing http://www.mosasaur.com
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
512/203.3198 (m)



--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Automatically Open PDFs In Other Applications

2008-05-01 Thread Carlton Gibson


On 1 May 2008, at 18:04, Dennis wrote:


On May 1, 2008, at 7:24 AM, Carlton Gibson wrote:

The Item menu shows a View with Preview option when a PDF is  
selected.


I don't know if you can attach a shortcut to it... (anyone...  
hint, hint... :)


You can attach a keyboard shortcut to any menu bar option using  
System Preferences - Keyboard  Mouse - Keyboard Shortcuts. Just  
hit the little plus (+) button at the bottom to add a new keyboard  
shortcut, specify Yojimbo, and add the exact name of them menu  
command you want.


Dennis,

You're very quickly heading up my favourites list!

Thanks (again!)

Regards,
Carlton

--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Effective Feature Requesting (Was: Happy with Yojimbo the way it is!)

2008-05-01 Thread Lorin Rivers


On Apr 29, 2008, at 6:54 PM, Keith Ledbetter wrote:



On Apr 29, 2008, at 1:41 PM, Scott J. Lopez wrote:


I see a lot of messages out there requsting Yojimbo did a lot of
things it doesn't and I just want to tell the developers I'm quite
happy with Yojimbo the way it is.


I think Yojimbo is a fine little application, too.  It's just a  
shame that because it lacks one feature (nested collections) I had  
to delete it from my hard drive.   I keep monitoring online, and I  
keep hoping that one day that needed feature will be added.  People  
with as much data as I have can't live without nested collections.



Not to pick on Keith (at all)...

It's almost universal that people who want something new or changed in  
a piece of software offer a solution (nested collections, for example)  
rather than an explanation of the problem they're trying to solve that  
they think their solution addresses. Since the developers have a much  
deeper, broader and nuanced awareness of what is and is not possible  
(or even desirable) than the public at large does, it's in best  
interest of you, as the person who want the change, to couch the  
request in terms of what you want to achieve rather than the method  
you imagine would allow you achieve the goal you have in mind.  
Engineers LOVE to solve problems...


One of the biggest challenges in the world of the Decider of What the  
New Version Does is inverting all these solution requests into problems.


My 67¢ (used to be 2¢, but with the devaluation of the peso, I mean  
dollar)...

--
Lorin Rivers
Mosasaur: Killer Technical Marketing http://www.mosasaur.com
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
512/203.3198 (m)



--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Effective Feature Requesting (Was: Happy with Yojimbo the way it is!)

2008-05-01 Thread Scott J. Lopez
For the people who complain it doesn't have XXX feature, did you only
notice this after your free 30 day trial period was over? There really
is no logical reason someone can complain they bought the product but
can't use it effectively because it didn't have XXX.

For those who sent Yojimbo to the trash because it didn't have XXX,
what product did you move to instead? What was it lacking that Yojimbo
has? Did you tell the developers of that product you were going to
trash it because it didn't have YYY that Yojimbo did? I would love to
hear the success stories of people who trashed Yojimbo because
something was better.

My point is, no one has any excuse to say they didn't know Yojimbo
couldn't meet their needs before buying it, and that any one product
will meet every feature they demand^H^H^H^H^H^Hrequest.

Scott

-- 
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Happy with Yojimbo the way it is!

2008-05-01 Thread Michael Klouda
Lists like these are easy places for people who are very happy with an  
program to start building wish lists and even discuss shortcomings and  
workarounds. I don't think the people on this list are unhappy with  
Yojimbo in anyway. Really, how can they be? It is an excellent program  
and one that I recommend to anyone who asks. Any many who don't.


I follow the GTD methodology quite seriously but as it is stated  
clearly, everyone needs to make their own system for Getting Things  
Done. Mr. Allen explains his reasonings and methods but everyone needs  
to look at themselves and the work and figure out how to make it work  
for them. I use just one program for my GTD system and it is Yojimbo.  
It is not designed for this, but it provides everything I need to make  
my own version work. I own other tools such as Omnifocus, and have run  
with Thinking Rock, Tasks and others for awhile, but they did not work  
for me because I needed a bit more control over the system.


At the end of the day though, within Yojimbo I could use nested  
folders for more organizing. It is one of two features that could be  
added that would be of great value. I don't 'need' them, but would  
sure use them. It is not a make or break feature, but one that I would  
sing out for joy if it were added.


And to clarify, my system is not waaay to complicated :-)  If  
you give someone folders it is natural for them to want to put them  
into drawers or boxes or other folders. That is what a folder is, a  
collection of things. I don't have 100 loose folders lying around my  
actual physical desk. I have them organized in groups and categories  
in a drawer and on an organizer. Asking Barebones to take this pretty  
standard methodology for grouping items together is not a stretch or a  
failing in anyones system. You don't have to use it, it may be  
somewhat archaic when you have search, and tags and labels, but it is  
also simple and clean and comfortable to many people.




--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Thanks Steve!

2008-05-01 Thread Michael Klouda

Steve,

Thanks for the email. Your list of features and priorities is very  
helpful! And since it is clear that there will be no nested folders, I  
promise not to be disappointed when they don't appear in future  
releases. It's not a deal breakers. If it were I could switch to  
Together for that one feature.


Later



--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Happy with Yojimbo the way it is!

2008-05-01 Thread david
It's partly inertia - using what you know. The Finder has nested  
folders, we all understand nested folders. We understand how to use  
nested folders to solve a problem...ergo we ask for nested folders to  
solve similar problems in Yojimbo.


Frankly, until I started using tags in the Finder I didn't see tags as  
a solution to a problem - I saw them as solutions in search of a  
problem. Further, until Leopard I - and frankly until Leopard and  
HoudahSpot - I didn't start using tags. So seeing tags as a solution  
to my Yojimbo tasks took a while.


But to go even one step further, Folders are more in your face and  
tags are more retiring and shy. (What the heck does he mean by that?)  
In the old Finder days I'd get or create a file and have to decide  
where to put it. Okay, so it is a work file - I already have  a folder  
called work. That's easy. Hey, I have five folders inside Work and the  
file fits best inside Requisitions. Problem solved.


New style I have to remember that I have tags called Work and  
Requisitions. Thankfully Yojimbo does autocompletion in the Tags  
Inspector which works well - if I remember that the tag was called  
Work as opposed to North Campus Office. Since Tags aren't in my face  
the way a nested folder is when I open the file selector, I have to  
think a little more, plan a little better, and sometimes go looking.  
It irritates me no end when I discover that I have half a dozen  
documents with one tab and a couple more with a different tab that  
means the same thing.


Even now I'm not convinced that tabs are the logical replacement for  
nested folders. A useful tool, yes - but a replacement? I'm not  
convinced yet. But since this is the only complaint I have about  
Yojimbo I stick with it. However I have also let the developers know  
in no uncertain terms that when/if a program comes along that fits as  
well as Yojimbo and offers nested folders, I may well be outa here.


david

On May 1, 2008, at 3:16 PM, Scott J. Lopez wrote:


for the people asking for nested folders, how could tags not help you
instead? instead off

[Some things]
[Sub-Some things]

you could set up tags:

SomeThings
SomeThings:sub1
SomeThings:sub2

Then just search on those tags? Even better, you could (creating a
mess) have something in two sub folders at the same time using this
method, eliminating duplicates.

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Yojimbo doesn't give us
nested folders, but you can work around that with creative thinking.

--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]



--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Effective Feature Requesting (Was: Happy with Yojimbo the way it is!)

2008-05-01 Thread Rhet Turnbull
I don't want to fuel a flame war so I'll shut up after this message!   
BTW, I do appreciate Steve from BareBones adding his thoughts and I  
don't mind him picking on me!  It's nice to know the developer is  
listening to the list even if I don't like some of their design  
choices. In my post I explicitly stated that adding every feature  
would be a bad idea...I get that, as do most people on this list, I  
suspect. I also understand the Henry Ford quote someone threw  
out...but in the end of the day, it's the users who buy the software  
and need to live with it and often they do have reasonable use cases  
the developer hasn't thought of.



For the people who complain it doesn't have XXX feature, did you only
notice this after your free 30 day trial period was over? There really


In response to Scott, I did try out Yojimbo and I evaluated it  
against at least 3 other applications. None were perfect, but Yojimbo  
was the by far the best of the bunch (at the time) so I happily  
forked over my $39 and would have paid twice that without regret. I  
said in my post that Yojimbo was a great product and a good value.  
I'm not unhappy with my purchase but using a product for 30 days and  
almost 2 years are two different things and my workflow and  
requirements have evolved.  Asking for new/different features isn't  
the same thing as complaining. Buying a piece of software and being  
in love with it are two different things...it's a purchase, not a  
marriage! And unlike my car, which also has things I wish were  
different, software isn't static and I know BareBones will be  
changing it -- Toyota isn't going to send me an upgrade for my car.   
So letting them know what those things are has value both to me and  
to BareBones. If they choose a different design choice and I don't  
like, I can go elsewhere...the ability to export from Yojimbo was one  
of the must have features I evaluated.



for the people asking for nested folders, how could tags not help you
instead? instead off



As to Scott's suggestion to use tags to make up for nested folders:  
that's a kludge, especially with Yojimbo's current lack of good tag  
management or smart collections. I use that method on Gmail and it  
works fine until you have a lot of categories then it gets kludgey.   
I'm glad to hear those are high priorities for BareBones. I mentioned  
the use case for nested folders in my post -- the lack of nested  
folders makes the drop dock too unwieldy if you have a lot of  
folders. I've read David Allen and practice GTD (as someone on the  
list brought up) but I still need more than a few folders (or tags).  
If my primary means of adding data to Yojimbo is the drop dock, and I  
want to categorize data *when it's added* then Yojimbo's current  
interface makes that hard.  Find me a better way of adding data to  
Yojimbo and having it tagged automatically, and maybe I won't need  
nested folders. I use Yep for PDFs and I don't miss nested folders  
because Yep's tagging support is first class and doesn't get in the  
way of my workflow.  (Yes, yes, I get it that Yojimbo will never have  
nested folders!)


Cheers to all,
--Rhet

On May 1, 2008, at 1:42 PM, Scott J. Lopez wrote:


For the people who complain it doesn't have XXX feature, did you only
notice this after your free 30 day trial period was over? There really
is no logical reason someone can complain they bought the product but
can't use it effectively because it didn't have XXX.

For those who sent Yojimbo to the trash because it didn't have XXX,
what product did you move to instead? What was it lacking that Yojimbo
has? Did you tell the developers of that product you were going to
trash it because it didn't have YYY that Yojimbo did? I would love to
hear the success stories of people who trashed Yojimbo because
something was better.

My point is, no one has any excuse to say they didn't know Yojimbo
couldn't meet their needs before buying it, and that any one product
will meet every feature they demand^H^H^H^H^H^Hrequest.

Scott

--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]



--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Happy with Yojimbo the way it is!

2008-05-01 Thread Kenneth Kirksey


On May 1, 2008, at 4:28 PM, david wrote:
Even now I'm not convinced that tabs are the logical replacement for  
nested folders. A useful tool, yes - but a replacement? I'm not  
convinced yet.


When Yojimbo first came out I thought the lack of nested folders was a  
limitation. It took me a while, but I'm fully converted to the tag it  
and dump it all in one place method of organizing, and Yojimbo is  
primarily responsible for helping me see the advantages.


Nested folders were once the best solution to organizing files on a  
computer, but now that we have very fast computers that can find  
things very quickly, the need for nested folders is going away. In  
fact, since we have such large hard drives that can store so many  
files, nested folders have begun to become a hindrance rather than a  
help in finding documents.


Here's an example of the now what folder did I put that in problem.  
In Mail I have _one_ folder in which I store the current year's sent  
and received messages. When I want to find a message, I can just  
search, usually by subject, sender, or recipient and find the message  
I want in a couple of seconds. I save tons of time over when I used to  
have bunches of folders in which I could store emails. My father still  
uses the bunches of folders method, and half the time when he goes to  
find an email he can't find it because he can't remember which folder  
he put it in.


Another thing I do to help me find files easily is giving them very  
descriptive file names, both in Yojimbo and in the Finder. For  
instance, a receipt from LL Bean might be named:


LL Bean - 2008.04.21 - Shirts for Spring

and tagged receipts. Or an article I downloaded from New Scientist  
might be named:


Do we read too much into our need for sleep? - being-human - 15 March  
2008 - New Scientist


and tagged appropriately. I'd say 80% of the time I search on a file  
name to find what I'm looking for. As  you noted, I think inertia  
keeps most people thinking they have to keep their file names under 32  
characters. My goal is to name files so that not only I know what's in  
them, but so that anyone that looked at a file on my computer would  
know what's in it based on the name. I believe that if people gave  
their files good descriptive names, the fuss about tagging vs. nested  
folders would nearly be a non-issue.


All IMHO of course.



--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]