Syncing fixed!

2007-12-24 Thread Andrew Janjigian
My syncing woes are behind me for now, at last. I was able to get
syncing working again, thanks to an updated set of fixes from BB
support. It seems that the important step was to delete the Yojimbo
dataclass from CoreServices using terminal. (The method prompts a
dialogue box asking for your dotmac password, so it may actually
delete something on dotmac itself as well.) I'm not sure if this is a
new step because Leopard demands it or if my particular f'ed up sync
state required it, though I'd like to know. This kind of thing has
happened to my YJ setup at least 3 times before, and I'd prefer to be
able to fix the problem myself when it happens, rather than relying on
support to diagnose and prescribe.

If you are still having sync problems and are waiting on a response
from BB support, hold tight, I'm sure they are working on it.

Andrew

-- 
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Yojimbo Backup quick pick

2007-12-21 Thread Andrew Janjigian
Since syncing is currently DOA for me, with no ETA on a fix, I'd like
to be sure that the one intact YJ library I have is backed up
regularly.

Does any one know if the Apple Backup quick pick for YJ items
functions as advertised? I only now noticed it was in there. Is it
added by Yojimbo itself?

Thanks
Andrew

-- 
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Scrapping Synced libraries and starting over?

2007-12-20 Thread Andrew Janjigian
Well, I backed up the library, and tried this method, and it didn't
work. I was able to get my libraries to match up, but they would still
not sync. I added test items to each library to see if they would
populate to the others, and they did not.

I even just tried creating a new user on my laptop and syncing it to
dotmac. Presumably that would work just as if it was another machine
that had never had YJ installed, and there should be no conflicts or
issues. But still nothing was added to the empty library on syncing.

The odd thing about this is whenever I try to sync anew (whether by
resetting sync services or creating a new user), I get all kinds of
50% warnings and conflicting data dialogue boxes, even with new
libraries. I don't know how there can be conflicting data between an
empty library and the dotmac one, but there it is.

Still no word from BB. I sent sync logs to them two days ago, without response.

Andrew


On Dec 19, 2007 4:50 PM, Jan Pieter Kunst [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 2007/12/19, Andrew Janjigian [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
  JP -
 
  I have considered this option, but I worried that somehow the copied
  library would make things worse; if the syncing mechanism saw the
  items in the copied library as new, it would then duplicate them
  across the machines. I could end up with as many copies of each item
  as I have machines. But you say that it worked for you, so maybe I
  should give it a try. At this point, however, while I await an
  official response, I'm just interested in hearing thoughts of people
  on the list.
 
  Thanks
  Andrew

 Well, whatever you do, be sure to keep a backup copy of your good
 library somewhere safe.

 Good luck,
 Jan Pieter

 --

 --
 This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
   the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
 To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
 Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working
 correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


-- 
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Scrapping Synced libraries and starting over?

2007-12-20 Thread Andrew Janjigian
I am glad (sorry to say) to hear that I am not the only one out there
with these issues.

I have had numerous sync problems since the 1.5 upgrade, as I said
earlier. I was however able to clear up the problems I was having with
all dotmac apps OTHER than Yojimbo by following the method described
here (for Leopard users):

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306484

This was the suggested solution to my YJ problems from BB Support, but
it did nothing at all in that case. I have applied it repeatedly
without effect.

For all other apps, I suggest disabling syncing for YJ and leaving it
be while you get the other apps syncing as desired.

This article MAY help with those using Tiger, though it is a lot less
straighforward:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306122

Andrew



On Dec 20, 2007 9:35 AM, Johan™Strandberg [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 On Dec 20, 2007 6:26 AM, Robert Sweet [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
  [...]
  You're not alone, but I have no advice. Leopard kinda sucks.

 Nice to know it isn't just me... sort of.

 I haven't upgraded to Leopard yet, so I'm quite sure this is all due
 to Yojimbo 1.5, although I guess there could be interactions with the
 recent security patches pushed by apple to the 1.4.x users.

 None of this makes me happy. [sigh]

 I wish Barebones would issue some statement as to where things stand.
 Currently the FAQ at
 http://faq.barebones.com/do_getanswer.php?record_id=138 still reads in
 part:

  Please start by taking the following steps.
   1. Update to Mac OS X 10.4.9 (if you haven't
 already) by downloading and installing the combo update.
   2. Make sure the latest version of Yojimbo
 (currently 1.4.2) is installed on all your Macs.

 so as we all can see, this hasn't been updated recently.

 --j


 --
 --
 This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
   the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
 To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
 Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working
 correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Metadata folder

2007-12-20 Thread Andrew Janjigian
The current version of the back/restore instructions for the YJ db on
the BB FAQ list is this:


Where does Yojimbo store my items? And what files do I need to back
up in order to protect my stored data?

Yojimbo stores your data in ~/Library/Application Support/Yojimbo/
(that is, the Yojimbo folder inside the Application Support folder
inside the Library folder in your Home directory). If you back up
this folder, your Yojimbo data will be protected.

Note: You should always quit Yojimbo before backing up your data.

To restore from backup, first make sure Yojimbo isn't running, then
copy the Yojimbo folder from the backup set into your local
Application Support folder. Finally, re-launch Yojimbo.

At some earlier point, there used to be an additional step that
involved deleting the ~Library/Caches/Metadata/com.barebones.yojimbo
folder before restarting Yojimbo, in order to get the restored library
to show up.

Does anyone know why this step is no longer needed, and why it once was?

Andrew

-- 
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Metadata folder

2007-12-20 Thread Andrew Janjigian
The current version of the back/restore instructions for the YJ db on
the BB FAQ list is this:


Where does Yojimbo store my items? And what files do I need to back
up in order to protect my stored data?

Yojimbo stores your data in ~/Library/Application Support/Yojimbo/
(that is, the Yojimbo folder inside the Application Support folder
inside the Library folder in your Home directory). If you back up
this folder, your Yojimbo data will be protected.

Note: You should always quit Yojimbo before backing up your data.

To restore from backup, first make sure Yojimbo isn't running, then
copy the Yojimbo folder from the backup set into your local
Application Support folder. Finally, re-launch Yojimbo.

At some earlier point, there used to be an additional step that
involved deleting the ~Library/Caches/Metadata/com.barebones.yojimbo
folder before restarting Yojimbo, in order to get the restored library
to show up.

Does anyone know why this step is no longer needed, and why it once
was? (I'm wondering if it is involved in my syncing problems.)

Andrew

-- 
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Scrapping Synced libraries and starting over?

2007-12-19 Thread Andrew Janjigian
Apologies in advance for the length of this email, but my story cannot
be told in brief.

Ever since the 1.5 upgrade, my synced YJ libraries have been a
trainwreck, and as of yet, I have had no luck getting BB support to
give me a useful answer on how to fix it. No offense to them intended,
and they may well be working on the solution as I write this, but I
thought posting to the list may help. I have been unsynced for going
on a week now, and completely frustrated.

Here is the situation. I have 5 machines that sync over dotmac, 3 of
which sync a YJ db: a BlackBook running Leopard, a G5 running Leopard,
and a G5 running Tiger. Of the three, only my laptop has a working,
full YJ db; the other two are empty, save the Welcome to Yojimbo
note that, friendly as it is, I am sick to death of seeing, its
continuing presence signifying my ongoing syncing nightmare.

I'm not sure what exactly went wrong in the first place, but I suspect
it had something to do with the YJ library upgrade mandated by version
1.5 happening at the same time that an automatic sync was taking
place. Whatever the cause, what I ended up with was a syncing error
across all three machines that would not go away. Fortunately, the
library on my laptop is current and intact, so I have not lost any
data.

I have had a similar problem before, and appealed to support for
assistance. They sent me a detailed set of instructions for fixing the
problem, which did work each previous time around. The solution then
was to 1) backup my main library, 2) Delete libraries and caches from
all other machines, 3) halt synchronization and delete local sync data
from all machines 4) Reset dotmac syncing 5) Sync each machine,
merging all data.

This time around, this procedure did not work. I have applied the
appropriate set of steps to each of my machines, multiple times over,
to no avail. I have also tried unregistering and re-registering each
machine, replacing data from the good machine to dotmac, and replacing
the data on the bad machines from dotmac. Still, no dice.

When I sync now, whether automatically or manually, the machines go
thru the motions of a sync, even warning me about a greater than 50%
change to the library (at least in the beginning, when the sync state
has been reset), but even then, no items are added to the empty
libraries. (It may or may not be useful to know that all other dotmac
data is consistent and up-to-date across all 5 machines.)

Since I have one intact library, and two empty ones, it seems to me
that it SHOULD be easy enough to trick the bad machines into thinking
that they have never had YJ installed on them, and sync as new from
the good machine thru dotmac. At one point these machines had never
seen YJ, so I can't see why they can't be restored to a virgin YJ
state again.

Does anyone here have any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
At Wits End
Cambridge, MA

-- 
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Scrapping Synced libraries and starting over?

2007-12-19 Thread Andrew Janjigian
JP -

I have considered this option, but I worried that somehow the copied
library would make things worse; if the syncing mechanism saw the
items in the copied library as new, it would then duplicate them
across the machines. I could end up with as many copies of each item
as I have machines. But you say that it worked for you, so maybe I
should give it a try. At this point, however, while I await an
official response, I'm just interested in hearing thoughts of people
on the list.

Thanks
Andrew

On Dec 19, 2007 4:33 PM, Jan Pieter Kunst [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 2007/12/19, Andrew Janjigian [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

  Does anyone here have any suggestions on how to proceed?

 I very much doubt that I can give better advice than the Barebones
 staff. However, if I were in your shoes, I would not try to fill the
 empty libraries by syncing them. I would copy the 'good' library
 manually to the machines that need them, reset any syncing business,
 and start over with a clean slate. It's what I did before I started
 syncing between my desktop and laptop.

 JP


 --
 --
 This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
   the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
 To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
 Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working
 correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


-- 
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: newbie question

2007-12-11 Thread Andrew Janjigian
It took me awhile to get used to the one-bucket system at first, but
once I did, it is now second nature. I prefer having everything in one
place now.

However, I would still like it if you could have more than one YJ
library at a time (and sync them all over a single dotmac account) so
that my wife and I could have separate buckets. Given that individulal
dotmac accounts are probably very often used by families of users,
this seems a reasonable idea. I'd even be willing to pay for a second
license to do so.

aj

On Dec 11, 2007 8:32 AM, Steve Kalkwarf [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 Here's my question about Yojiimbo. If I'm understanding right,
 there's essentially only one database for the Yojimbo
 application. Even if I want to use Yojimbo to catalog stuff
 for several very different things, they will all be together
 when I open  Yojimbo. However, I can tag them separately to
 differentiate them. Are there other ways that I can keep the
 various mutually exclusive parts of my life apart in Yojimbo?

 I've never managed to make any part of my life exclusive from
 any other part. :-)

 If I'm surfing the web, and I find something related to work, I
 don't ignore it: I stuff it in Yojimbo for attention when I'm
 back on the clock. Likewise, if I'm at work, and somebody
 mentions a great movie I should see, I don't tune it out: I
 Yojimbo it.

 One of the design principles behind Yojimbo was that you
 shouldn't have to switch modes (or documents) in order to
 enter data. In my opinion, having to decide which Library to put
 something in is too much decision making up front, and it
 reduces the chance you'll put the information into _any_ Library.

 Tags are one way to let you split information up, and because
 tags add information to an item instead of segregating items off
 into separate compartments, you don't incur the Where did I
 file that? cost when you want to find an item again.

 Collections are another collating mechanism, but depending on
 how you enter information, they can be awkward to use efficiently.


 --
 --
 This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
 To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
 Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working
 correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


-- 
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Yojimbo 1.5 - Images Questions

2007-12-05 Thread Andrew Janjigian
So glad to see a new version of YJ, and already liking some of the new features.

Questions regarding the new Images class:

1. Should there be a menu item or button for New . . . Image?

2. How do I get images that are currently in (otherwise blank) notes
to show up as Images?

Thanks!

AJ

-- 
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
  the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: YJ and Leopard Spotlight

2007-11-16 Thread Andrew Janjigian
There is no such consistency to whay Spotlight is picking up for me.  
Some things are there because the search hits the name, others the  
contents. But not even close to everything that should match the  
search is showing up. Hmm. . .


Hopefully this will be fully functional down the road, because it is a  
great way to get at YJ items quickly and cleanly.


aj

On Nov 16, 2007, at 5:28 PM, Jon Baer wrote:


I did notice (YMMV) that this ...

mysql AND schema

Results difference from this ...

mysql and schema

But the tags did get picked up.  Im wondering if the files @ / 
Applications/Yojimbo.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/Yojimbo  
Spotlight Importer.mdimporter/Contents/Resources can have any effect?


- Jon

On Nov 16, 2007, at 5:21 PM, Jon Baer wrote:


Hmm ... have you maybe tried to touch the files @

~/Library/Caches/Metadata/com.barebones.yojimbo

I have Console open and trying a few tests + looking @ how items  
are picked up and the tags (kinda) seem to work.  Could be  
imagining it as well.  Would be nice to know how it works though :-)


- Jon

On Nov 16, 2007, at 4:51 PM, Niels Kobschätzki wrote:


On Nov 16, 2007 10:42 PM, Jon Baer [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I think it is only searching the title of the Yojimbo document (and
not the tags themselves).  Id like it to search over tags as well.


I requested *that* months ago - I was told that it will be included
sometime (or something like this - can't quote because I can't find
the mail right now…I think it was 6 months, if not more than over a
year ago)

Niels

--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]



--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]



--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]



--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Search not working under Leopard

2007-11-01 Thread Andrew Janjigian
Works fine for me too, beach ball and all.
AJ


On 10/31/07, Jan Pieter Kunst [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

 2007/10/30, Michael Griffith [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

  Issue #1
  When I have the library selected and I type a search term, nothing
  happens.  Library, Notes, Archive, etc. all ignore any search terms.
 
  Issue #2
  Typing a search term while on a tag collection works as expected.
  Clicking on Library, Notes, Archive, etc. doesn't clear the search
  term and the right pane doesn't update.
 
  Anyone else having similar issues?

 Everything works normally for me (Leopard install on empty partition,
 Yojimbo + its data copied over manually).

 JP

 --
 --
 This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
   the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
 To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
 Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working
 correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]