Re: Dates created and modified

2007-05-10 Thread soundsgoodtome

wow, jim, this is awesome. i'll try it later this evening.

thanks!!
--

On May 9, 2007, at 12:25pm, Jim DeVona wrote:


On 5/9/07, Jim DeVona [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:


 the more i think about this issue, i realize that there are many
 documents i will need to change. in fact, for me, it will be
 essentially every document that i import as such, going  
forward,

 it's going to be quite a bit of extra work to manually change the
 dates of each document that i import.

True. This script is best suited to making a few isolated  
corrections.


Ideally, you'd like each newly imported Yojimbo item to inherit the
creation and modification dates of the Finder file it was imported
from, correct? I think it would be feasible to write an import script
that uses this script's code to automatically adjust the date of each
imported item.


Here it is: http://anoved.net/2007/05/backdate-yojimbo-import.html

When you run the script, it'll present a file browser. Choose the
files you want to import. They'll be automatically backdated with
the creation and modification dates of the actual files after they're
imported. (As with the other script, you'll still need to restart
Yojimbo before the corrected dates are visible.)

Based on a bit more testing it seems that it is safe to edit backdated
items before restarting Yojimbo. The modification date will be
changed, of course, but the creation date will be untouched.
Nevertheless, I still feel obliged to warn that these scripts use
unsanctioned methods to do their deeds!

Let me know how it goes.
Jim

--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working  
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]



--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Dates created and modified

2007-05-10 Thread Jim DeVona

Just to let you know, I've successfully synced a bunch of backdated items
(I use SyncTogether). Both libraries contained a large set of notes I
imported last year (so all the Yojimbo items were considered created in Nov
2006). On one machine I used my backdate items script to restore their
original creation dates, ranging back to 1996. After synchronization, the
other machine now shows these dates as well.

Jim


On 5/10/07, [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote:
 wow, jim, this is awesome. i'll try it later this evening.

 thanks!!
 --

 On May 9, 2007, at 12:25pm, Jim DeVona wrote:

  On 5/9/07, Jim DeVona [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 
   the more i think about this issue, i realize that there are many
   documents i will need to change. in fact, for me, it will be
   essentially every document that i import as such, going
  forward,
   it's going to be quite a bit of extra work to manually change the
   dates of each document that i import.
 
  True. This script is best suited to making a few isolated
  corrections.
 
  Ideally, you'd like each newly imported Yojimbo item to inherit the
  creation and modification dates of the Finder file it was imported
  from, correct? I think it would be feasible to write an import script
  that uses this script's code to automatically adjust the date of each
  imported item.
 
  Here it is:
http://anoved.net/2007/05/backdate-yojimbo-import.html
 
  When you run the script, it'll present a file browser. Choose the
  files you want to import. They'll be automatically backdated with
  the creation and modification dates of the actual files after they're
  imported. (As with the other script, you'll still need to restart
  Yojimbo before the corrected dates are visible.)
 
  Based on a bit more testing it seems that it is safe to edit backdated
  items before restarting Yojimbo. The modification date will be
  changed, of course, but the creation date will be untouched.
  Nevertheless, I still feel obliged to warn that these scripts use
  unsanctioned methods to do their deeds!
 
  Let me know how it goes.
  Jim





--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Dates created and modified

2007-05-09 Thread Jim DeVona

On 5/8/07, [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:


thanks, jim. i really appreciate this.


No problem. After thinking about it a bit I realized it was something
I could use myself.


the more i think about this issue, i realize that there are many
documents i will need to change. in fact, for me, it will be
essentially every document that i import as such, going forward,
it's going to be quite a bit of extra work to manually change the
dates of each document that i import.


True. This script is best suited to making a few isolated corrections.

Ideally, you'd like each newly imported Yojimbo item to inherit the
creation and modification dates of the Finder file it was imported
from, correct? I think it would be feasible to write an import script
that uses this script's code to automatically adjust the date of each
imported item.


so, to the yojimbo developers: will you consider adding, as a
preference, the ability to inherit the creation dates of imported
documents?


If there's any indication that this is in the pipeline, I won't bother
writing another script.

Anyway, I did issue a minor update to the script yesterday that just
performs a bit more validation on the format of the date text you
enter.

Jim

--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Dates created and modified

2007-05-09 Thread Jim DeVona

On 5/9/07, Jim DeVona [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:


 the more i think about this issue, i realize that there are many
 documents i will need to change. in fact, for me, it will be
 essentially every document that i import as such, going forward,
 it's going to be quite a bit of extra work to manually change the
 dates of each document that i import.

True. This script is best suited to making a few isolated corrections.

Ideally, you'd like each newly imported Yojimbo item to inherit the
creation and modification dates of the Finder file it was imported
from, correct? I think it would be feasible to write an import script
that uses this script's code to automatically adjust the date of each
imported item.


Here it is: http://anoved.net/2007/05/backdate-yojimbo-import.html

When you run the script, it'll present a file browser. Choose the
files you want to import. They'll be automatically backdated with
the creation and modification dates of the actual files after they're
imported. (As with the other script, you'll still need to restart
Yojimbo before the corrected dates are visible.)

Based on a bit more testing it seems that it is safe to edit backdated
items before restarting Yojimbo. The modification date will be
changed, of course, but the creation date will be untouched.
Nevertheless, I still feel obliged to warn that these scripts use
unsanctioned methods to do their deeds!

Let me know how it goes.
Jim

--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Dates created and modified

2007-05-07 Thread Derik DeLong

Couldn't you just back up Yojimbo's database?

On 5/7/07, Ross Winn [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Can I chime in too? Maybe only allowing the creation date to be
modified. I don't know, but it is an interesting question. What
really pisses me off is that the creation and mod dates aren't
supported for backup and restore. When I expert all of my items,
since Yojimbo has no convenient backup feature, all of that info is
lost.

I used to review a lot of software, it was how I found Yojimbo
actually, when my system started crashing regularly I simply wiped
and reinstalled - but when reimporting all of those items that
metadata was lost. Two years worth (it has been a couple years,
hasn't it).

--
Derik DeLong
http://godlikenerd.com
http://macuser.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Dates created and modified

2007-05-06 Thread infrahile

On 6 May 2007, at 14:51, tedd wrote:

No offense meant to the Yojimbo programmers, but this is an example  
of how a programmer thinks that s/he knows what the user needs as  
compared to what the user actually wants.



Well, not necessarily, there are all sorts of more likely  
explanations than arrogant programmers. Also, when you say 'what the  
user actually wants' you really mean 'what I and a few others here  
actually want' - I'm perfectly happy with the creation date as it is  
because it allows me to see when the entry was created in Yojimbo -  
in that sense, the creation date refers not to the source document,  
but to the new Yojimbo item. I do see your point, but this strikes me  
as overly harsh criticism.



T.

--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working 
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Dates created and modified

2007-05-06 Thread infrahile


On 6 May 2007, at 15:21, tedd wrote:

But from experience, programmers think about the data and not  
necessarily how user will use it -- that's why GUI is like a new  
(anything that is less than 20 years old is new to me) science to  
programming. First, solve the problem and then make it easy for the  
user. Sometimes there's a disconnect between how the user is going  
to use the data and how the programmer expects the data to be used  
-- that's a fact -- I've been there too many times myself to claim  
any different.



All fair enough, although I'd argue that these sort of issues should  
be thrashed out in the initial design process by Information  
Architects and Interface Designers in consultation with Programmers  
(and by reference to appropriate user research) - of course there is  
overlap in these roles but just to point out that this is not  
something that should be an issue for a programmers alone in a well  
resourced software house. This is why a good design process is so  
important, programmers in my experience rarely make great user  
interface designers (and I include in this the overall feature set  
and interaction principles, not just the GUI look and feel), of  
course there are exceptions like the Dave Watanabes of the world, but  
as a general rule you get the point!


Anyway, I feel we're drifting off-topic… ;o)

T.
--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's working
correctly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Re: Dates created and modified

2007-05-05 Thread Yvan Rahbé

Hello,

I also support these two features, especially #2 (date modification  
may have its drawbacks -so a toggle bhaviour in prefs might be OK-,  
and importing creation dates seems a good option).


Thanks
yvan

Le 5 mai 07 à 03:28, [EMAIL PROTECTED] a écrit :


this is a two-part request:

i'm leaning heavily toward yojimbo, after trying out various  
competitors, especially one called kit. so now, i'd like to  
transfer some items from kit into yojimbo. but when i do, yojimbo  
registers the date of *import* as the date *created*, which causes  
associated documents (such as pdfs that all pertain to one project)  
to appear out of order, when viewing by date. i often view by date  
so i can quickly reference all of the most recent documents -- of  
various types -- within any folder. but yojimbo's current behavior  
prevents this. (of course, i'm referring to pre-existing documents,  
such as pdfs, etc.) so i was hoping that yojimbo's date fields were  
editable -- perhaps in the inspector window -- but alas, they are not.


hence, request #1: the ability to edit the creation and  
modification dates.


IMHO, registering the date of *import*, as if it were the date of  
creation, is simply incorrect. (the date that a pre-existing  
document was imported into yojimbo seems completely irrelevant to  
me, as opposed to, say, a note that is actually created within  
yojimbo.)


hence, request #2: yojimbo should inherit a pre-existing document's  
original date of creation. or, if some users find the current  
behavior useful, i'd love to see a preference to toggle this behavior.


i don't know if the topic of yojimbo copying vs. pointing to  
documents has already been discussed. for the record, i do wish  
yojimbo simply pointed to documents, rather than making copies of  
them. however, in the absence of that functionality, if yojimbo  
must copy each document, it should inherit the original dates of  
creation (just as the finder does).


please consider this!  :-)

thanks,

-merv

--
--
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to
 the mailing list yojimbo-talk@barebones.com.
To unsubscribe, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List archives:  http://www.listsearch.com/yojimbotalk.lasso
Have a feature request, or not sure if the software's  
workingcorrectly? Please send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Yvan Rahbé
85, rue des Charmettes
69100 Villeurbanne
Tel: 04 78 52 99 57
Mel: [EMAIL PROTECTED]