Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-03-05 Thread Christoph Zwerschke
Am 05.03.2012 14:43, schrieb Dotan Cohen: Can you please mention support for adding an option to disable wiki-syntax parsing here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/zim/+bug/585300 Ok, I have added a link to the new ticket https://bugs.launchpad.net/zim/+bug/946229 where it is already mentioned.

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-03-04 Thread Christoph Zwerschke
Am 04.03.2012 07:19, schrieb Ulf Bro: The editor I use in everyday life is Vim (Vi). Here you switch between modes all the time. But you do so without taking your fingers off the keyboard. A similar edit mode in Zim would be no harm so long as one could keep the mouse out of the business.

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-03-04 Thread Dotan Cohen
On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 00:49, Christoph Zwerschke c...@online.de wrote: Am 03.03.2012 18:41, schrieb Dotan Cohen: And why would casual users know this? Well, to be honest I don't think zim is intended for casual users and never will because it is not intended to be a wysiwyg editor. People

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-03-04 Thread Christoph Zwerschke
Am 04.03.2012 11:15, schrieb Christoph Zwerschke: Agree. Except opening an external editor can be dangerous because then you have two disconnected editing windows open for the same content, and you can easily loose data when you save at the wrong time in the wrong editor. Better to include a

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-03-04 Thread Dotan Cohen
Here are two issues to help improve the situation: RFE: Edit source in Zim window https://bugs.launchpad.net/zim/+bug/946224 Escape input when translating to Source https://bugs.launchpad.net/zim/+bug/946229 -- Dotan Cohen http://gibberish.co.il http://what-is-what.com

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-03-04 Thread Dotan Cohen
On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 08:19, Ulf Bro ulf@web.de wrote: The editor I use in everyday life is Vim (Vi). Here you switch between modes all the time. But you do so without taking your fingers off the keyboard. A similar edit mode in Zim would be no harm so long as one could keep the mouse out

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-03-04 Thread Dotan Cohen
On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 12:15, Christoph Zwerschke c...@online.de wrote: Am 04.03.2012 07:19, schrieb Ulf Bro: The editor I use in everyday life is Vim (Vi). Here you switch between modes all the time. But you do so without taking your fingers off the keyboard. A similar edit mode in Zim would

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-03-04 Thread Christoph Zwerschke
Am 04.03.2012 11:17, schrieb Dotan Cohen: Also, you might like to note that there is an Edit Source function in the Tools menu. That is the place where one should be entering data in raw format, not in the standard main window. A possible improvement would be to have the Edit Source function

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-03-04 Thread Christoph Zwerschke
Am 04.03.2012 11:48, schrieb Dotan Cohen: Then why do you prefer that you can type //some text// to have it italicized in the normal window? What is wrong with Ctrl-I before and after? It is exactly the confusion between raw/source mode and normal mode that hinders Zim from handling arbitrary

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-03-04 Thread Dotan Cohen
On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 13:07, Christoph Zwerschke c...@online.de wrote: Also, it's not clear to me what you mean when you say that entered text should be automatically escaped by zim. The problem is that if you enter **bold** then you want your asterisks be interpreted by zim, not escaped, but

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-03-04 Thread Christoph Zwerschke
Am 04.03.2012 16:59, schrieb Dotan Cohen: The idea of entered text should be automatically escaped means that **bold** will not be made bold. Rather, users who want to enter Wiki syntax would do that in source / raw mode. Isn't that what **bold** is (wiki source code)? Why does Source mode

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-03-03 Thread Dotan Cohen
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 11:29, Christoph Zwerschke c...@online.de wrote: Am 02.03.2012 08:53, schrieb Dotan Cohen: This bug has a real-life example: https://bugs.launchpad.net/zim/+bug/585300 Dotan, I think the problem is that what you are labeling a data loss issue is no data loss issue at

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-03-03 Thread Dotan Cohen
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 16:17, Adam Porter a...@alphapapa.net wrote: On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 13:33, Dotan Cohen dotanco...@gmail.com wrote: However, Zim is a bit unpolished in some key areas and I feel that these paper cuts should be addressed before actively promoting the application.

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-03-03 Thread Dotan Cohen
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 17:38, hans...@gmail.com wrote: On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Dotan Cohen dotanco...@gmail.com wrote: Possibly, and I appreciate your telling me that. I don't see where I have been forceful but I'm sure that you're right. I am certainly no diplomat! It's quite

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-03-03 Thread Christoph Zwerschke
Am 03.03.2012 18:41, schrieb Dotan Cohen: And why would casual users know this? Well, to be honest I don't think zim is intended for casual users and never will because it is not intended to be a wysiwyg editor. People who want that wysiwyg stlye should use applications like OneNote or

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-03-03 Thread Ulf Bro
... The other special thing about zim is that edit and view mode are not separated... The fact that I don't need to switch between edit and view mode is what makes zim so unique, and that paradigm really should be kept. For instance, if you see a mistake or type on a page, you simply go

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-03-02 Thread Christoph Zwerschke
Am 02.03.2012 08:53, schrieb Dotan Cohen: This bug has a real-life example: https://bugs.launchpad.net/zim/+bug/585300 Dotan, I think the problem is that what you are labeling a data loss issue is no data loss issue at all. In your example, the data is displayed without the **, because these

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-03-02 Thread Adam Porter
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 13:33, Dotan Cohen dotanco...@gmail.com wrote: However, Zim is a bit unpolished in some key areas and I feel that these paper cuts should be addressed before actively promoting the application. Respectfully, I disagree. I generally support the idea, Release early,

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-03-02 Thread hansbkk
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Dotan Cohen dotanco...@gmail.com wrote: Possibly, and I appreciate your telling me that. I don't see where I have been forceful but I'm sure that you're right. I am certainly no diplomat! It's quite possible to be fully honest and brutal about objective facts,

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-03-01 Thread Dotan Cohen
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 22:20, Marco Cevoli marco.cev...@gmail.com wrote: Most of the bugs you submitted are related to the way Zim visualizes content and to the fact that you stores code into it. I don't see that any of these bugs is so severe to limit the diffusion of Zim Wiki. In fact, they

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-03-01 Thread hansbkk
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Dotan Cohen dotanco...@gmail.com wrote: The dataloss and the fact that Zim cannot handle arbitrary text for input are the reasons why Zim is unsuitable for use. The mislabel icon and reappearing links are reasons why Zim seems only half-baked. One of my many

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-03-01 Thread Dotan Cohen
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 03:29, hans...@gmail.com wrote: On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Dotan Cohen dotanco...@gmail.com wrote: The dataloss and the fact that Zim cannot handle arbitrary text for input are the reasons why Zim is unsuitable for use. The mislabel icon and reappearing links are

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-02-29 Thread Ulf Bro
possibilities. So I was wondering that perhaps we can start to collect all users' cases, that is a small description about how you use Zim Wiki in your daily routine. I agree with you. No problem. I can make a description any time. Ulf ___ Mailing

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-02-29 Thread Dotan Cohen
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 15:19, Marco Cevoli marco.cev...@gmail.com wrote: Hi, When I read the posts of this mailing list, I'm always suprised by how many different uses Zim Wiki can be adapted to. Sometimes a program reaches a huge success when its users are aware of all the program's

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-02-29 Thread Dotan Cohen
One more issue that I should have mentioned that needs to be addressed as it makes Zim seem as immature software: Links come back after closing Zim https://bugs.launchpad.net/zim/+bug/678250 -- Dotan Cohen http://gibberish.co.il http://what-is-what.com

Re: [Zim-wiki] Call for user cases ?

2012-02-29 Thread Marco Cevoli
Dear Dotan, Most of the bugs you submitted are related to the way Zim visualizes content and to the fact that you stores code into it. I don't see that any of these bugs is so severe to limit the diffusion of Zim Wiki. In fact, they don't even see bugs as far as I'm concerned. The idea behind