Re: [Zope] ZEO and a front end...

2000-07-21 Thread Toby Dickenson
On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:07:30 -0600, Bill Anderson [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Toby Dickenson wrote: On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:08:48 -0600, Bill Anderson [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: I might be reading more into his words than was intended, but I think this demonstrates the problem. Distributing

Re: [Zope] ZEO and a front end...

2000-07-21 Thread Bill Anderson
Toby Dickenson wrote: On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:07:30 -0600, Bill Anderson [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Toby Dickenson wrote: On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:08:48 -0600, Bill Anderson [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: I might be reading more into his words than was intended, but I think this

Re: [Zope] ZEO and a front end...

2000-07-20 Thread Bill Anderson
Curtis Maloney wrote: On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Bill Anderson wrote: Toby Dickenson wrote: On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:08:48 -0600, Bill Anderson [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: I might be reading more into his words than was intended, but I think this demonstrates the problem. Distributing

Re: [Zope] ZEO and a front end...

2000-07-20 Thread Curtis Maloney
On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Bill Anderson wrote: Curtis Maloney wrote: [snip] Bill, Whilst the structures you've described are very effective, your example of libc.org required one thing in particular that I'm not sure is available: prior knowledge of which sections will be hit

Re: [Zope] ZEO and a front end...

2000-07-19 Thread Toby Dickenson
On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:08:48 -0600, Bill Anderson [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: I might be reading more into his words than was intended, but I think this demonstrates the problem. Distributing multiple requests for one section across multiple servers is (what I consider to be) undesirable. You

Re: [Zope] ZEO and a front end...

2000-07-19 Thread Bill Anderson
Toby Dickenson wrote: On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:08:48 -0600, Bill Anderson [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: I might be reading more into his words than was intended, but I think this demonstrates the problem. Distributing multiple requests for one section across multiple servers is (what I

Re: [Zope] ZEO and a front end...

2000-07-19 Thread Curtis Maloney
On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Bill Anderson wrote: Toby Dickenson wrote: On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:08:48 -0600, Bill Anderson [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: I might be reading more into his words than was intended, but I think this demonstrates the problem. Distributing multiple requests for one

Re: [Zope] ZEO and a front end...

2000-07-18 Thread Bill Anderson
Curtis Maloney wrote: On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, ethan mindlace fremen wrote: Curtis Maloney wrote: Yes, however his point is that by having each Zope instance 'predominantly' serving one portion of the site, its cache will contain more objects relevant, and thus be just that little bit

Re: [Zope] ZEO and a front end...

2000-07-18 Thread Toby Dickenson
On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:22:16 -0600, Bill Anderson [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: I think most people seem to be missing the point here. The idea is that ALL servers can serve ALL content. HOWEVER, the 'load balancer' will opt for a certain server for a certain URL, in order to improve cache

Re: [Zope] ZEO and a front end...

2000-07-18 Thread Bill Anderson
Toby Dickenson wrote: On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:22:16 -0600, Bill Anderson [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: I think most people seem to be missing the point here. The idea is that ALL servers can serve ALL content. HOWEVER, the 'load balancer' will opt for a certain server for a certain URL,

Re: [Zope] ZEO and a front end...

2000-07-18 Thread ethan mindlace fremen
Curtis Maloney wrote: I think most people seem to be missing the point here. While I think Bill addressed this, I am not missing your point. By subdomaining areas, you can assign those subdomains an IP address, which can be primarily served by a Zope Client. The idea is that ALL servers can

[Zope] ZEO and a front end...

2000-07-17 Thread Bill Anderson
Toby Dickenson wrote: On Fri, 14 Jul 2000 14:12:33 -0600, Bill Anderson [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Roman Milner wrote: I'm wondering if anyone can suggest something good to run in front of 2 zopes talking to a zeo server - for failover and load balancing. I have been using a tool

Re: [Zope] ZEO and a front end...

2000-07-17 Thread Toby Dickenson
On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 05:45:49 -0600, Bill Anderson [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: I'm wondering if anyone can suggest something good to run in front of 2 zopes talking to a zeo server - for failover and load balancing. I One disadvantage is that solution is that each Zope will have poor

Re: [Zope] ZEO and a front end...

2000-07-17 Thread Bill Anderson
Toby Dickenson wrote: On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 05:45:49 -0600, Bill Anderson [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: I'm wondering if anyone can suggest something good to run in front of 2 zopes talking to a zeo server - for failover and load balancing. I One disadvantage is that solution is that

Re: [Zope] ZEO and a front end...

2000-07-17 Thread Curtis Maloney
On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Bill Anderson wrote: Your multiple Zopes can all serve all of these sections, however theres not enough storage for each machine to hold all the sections simultaneously. As I understand ZEO, each machine _doesn't_ hold the site. The ZEO clients (servers) communicate

Re: [Zope] ZEO and a front end...

2000-07-17 Thread Bill Anderson
Curtis Maloney wrote: On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Bill Anderson wrote: Your multiple Zopes can all serve all of these sections, however theres not enough storage for each machine to hold all the sections simultaneously. As I understand ZEO, each machine _doesn't_ hold the site. The ZEO

Re: [Zope] ZEO and a front end...

2000-07-17 Thread ethan mindlace fremen
Curtis Maloney wrote: Yes, however his point is that by having each Zope instance 'predominantly' serving one portion of the site, its cache will contain more objects relevant, and thus be just that little bit faster. Personally, I find this such a simple idea that it MUST be good. (o8 So

Re: [Zope] ZEO and a front end...

2000-07-17 Thread Curtis Maloney
On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, ethan mindlace fremen wrote: Curtis Maloney wrote: Yes, however his point is that by having each Zope instance 'predominantly' serving one portion of the site, its cache will contain more objects relevant, and thus be just that little bit faster. Personally, I find