Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: SVN: Zope/trunk/lib/python/ use a specific revision of the Zope 3 trunk for now until we have some sort of tag

2005-11-12 Thread Stephan Richter
On Friday 11 November 2005 12:15, Tres Seaver wrote:
 Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
  Log message for revision 40048:
    use a specific revision of the Zope 3 trunk for now until we have some
  sort of tag available (e.g. a Zope 3.2 beta tag).

 We should have cut a Zope3-3.2 beta tag on the day of the feature
 freeze, so that release / stabilization activities could proceed without
 leaving the trunk frozen.  In fact, I thought we had committed to do
 first beta for 2.9 and 3.2 on 1 November.  Even if we don't branch at
 those points, we should be tagging the freeze point any any intermediate
 OK, fixed that, now try again points.

Yeah, but the bug day was a big flop for both Zope 2 and Zope 3, so Andreas 
and I (and even with Jim's approval) decided not to release. I also will not 
cut a branch until more bugs have been fixed, so that I lower the bar for bug 
fixers and force people to work on bugs not features.

BTW, I think that Philipp did the right thing. Depending on a specific 
revision is fine, though pointing to the trunk right now would work too, 
since it is feature frozen.

Regards,
Stephan
-- 
Stephan Richter
CBU Physics  Chemistry (B.S.) / Tufts Physics (Ph.D. student)
Web2k - Web Software Design, Development and Training
___
Zope3-dev mailing list
Zope3-dev@zope.org
Unsub: http://mail.zope.org/mailman/options/zope3-dev/archive%40mail-archive.com



Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: SVN: Zope/trunk/lib/python/ use a specific revision of the Zope 3 trunk for now until we have some sort of tag

2005-11-12 Thread Jim Fulton

Stephan Richter wrote:

On Friday 11 November 2005 12:15, Tres Seaver wrote:


Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:


Log message for revision 40048:
 use a specific revision of the Zope 3 trunk for now until we have some
sort of tag available (e.g. a Zope 3.2 beta tag).


We should have cut a Zope3-3.2 beta tag on the day of the feature
freeze, so that release / stabilization activities could proceed without
leaving the trunk frozen.  In fact, I thought we had committed to do
first beta for 2.9 and 3.2 on 1 November. 


Actually, I said we ought to be ready for the first beta by Nov 1. :)

 Even if we don't branch at

those points, we should be tagging the freeze point any any intermediate
OK, fixed that, now try again points.


Absolutely.




Yeah, but the bug day was a big flop for both Zope 2 and Zope 3, so Andreas 
and I (and even with Jim's approval) decided not to release. I also will not 
cut a branch until more bugs have been fixed, so that I lower the bar for bug 
fixers and force people to work on bugs not features.


BTW, I think that Philipp did the right thing. Depending on a specific 
revision is fine, though pointing to the trunk right now would work too, 
since it is feature frozen.


No, it wouldn't.  In my strongly held opinion, you should never
depend on a trunk or branch unless the people checking in there
are running *your* tests before a checkin.  A bug fix I made earlier
this week actually broke a Five test.

Depending on revisions, which you update frequently, provides important
stability.  The person who updates the revision can first make sure
all their tests pass, addressing any issues before checking in.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   Python Powered!
CTO  (540) 361-1714http://www.python.org
Zope Corporation http://www.zope.com   http://www.zope.org
___
Zope3-dev mailing list
Zope3-dev@zope.org
Unsub: http://mail.zope.org/mailman/options/zope3-dev/archive%40mail-archive.com