Re: [Zope] Re: Java vs Zope

2006-01-06 Thread bruno desthuilliers
Rocky Burt wrote: David H wrote: Python is also object oriented. In python, x = 10 creates an object not a simple type - if I recall the same is true in Java. In fact this is not quite right. In java, int x = 10 produces a primitive type. Not a class instance at all. In this case x

Re: [Zope] Re: Java vs Zope

2006-01-06 Thread Asad Habib
Well, the class is simply a construct that Java uses to define an object. Also, the concept of object is well defined in Java which makes it easier for the programmer to know what can and cannot be done. In Python, it is not as explicit. Java is a programming language and hence cannot be

[Zope] Re: dynamically creating zip file, returning to user

2006-01-06 Thread Tres Seaver
-BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE- Hash: SHA1 Tino Wildenhain wrote: John Toews schrieb: Thanks Tino, I'll definately give that a try too. The quick fix seemed to be opening the file for read in binary mode... that should have been obvious. Posting another dumb question to the list now. ;)

Re: [Zope] Re: Java vs Zope

2006-01-06 Thread Andreas Jung
--On 6. Januar 2006 10:06:55 -0500 Asad Habib [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Well, the class is simply a construct that Java uses to define an object. Also, the concept of object is well defined in Java which makes it easier for the programmer to know what can and cannot be done. In Python, it is

Re: [Zope] Re: Java vs Zope

2006-01-06 Thread Martijn Pieters
On 1/6/06, Andreas Jung [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Python is not a programming language??? huh..the difference is that Java is compiled and Python is interpreted *Bt* Wrong again. :) Both Java and Python compile to bytecode, which a virtual machine then interprets. In Java this step is

Re: [Zope] Re: Java vs Zope

2006-01-06 Thread Andreas Jung
--On 6. Januar 2006 16:39:18 +0100 Martijn Pieters [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: On 1/6/06, Andreas Jung [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Python is not a programming language??? huh..the difference is that Java is compiled and Python is interpreted *Bt* Wrong again. :) Hairsplitter :-) -aj

Re: [Zope] Re: Java vs Zope

2006-01-06 Thread Martijn Pieters
On 1/6/06, Andreas Jung [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Hairsplitter :-) That's *Mr* __Pedant__ to you, capiche? :P -- Martijn Pieters ___ Zope maillist - Zope@zope.org http://mail.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope ** No cross posts or HTML encoding! **

Re: [Zope] Re: Java vs Zope

2006-01-06 Thread Lennart Regebro
On 1/6/06, Asad Habib [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Well, the class is simply a construct that Java uses to define an object. Also, the concept of object is well defined in Java which makes it easier for the programmer to know what can and cannot be done. In Python, it is not as explicit. Java is a

Re: [Zope] Re: Java vs Zope

2006-01-06 Thread bruno desthuilliers
Andreas Jung wrote: --On 6. Januar 2006 10:06:55 -0500 Asad Habib [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Well, the class is simply a construct that Java uses to define an object. Also, the concept of object is well defined in Java which makes it easier for the programmer to know what can and cannot

Re: [Zope] Re: Java vs Zope

2006-01-06 Thread Martijn Pieters
On 1/6/06, Lennart Regebro [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Python is intepreted while Java is compiled. That makes Python superiour in many ways. ;-) pedant mode=ranting Python is compiled, then interpreted. Java is compiled, then interpreted. Java compilation is explicit, Python compilation implicit.

Re: [Zope] Re: Java vs Zope

2006-01-06 Thread Asad Habib
Actually, that's not true. Languages such as Perl and Python were designed to write scripts, not to code entire applications. Python is an exception because it can be successfully used to code large applications, unlike some other scripting languages. So it's best to call Python a scripting

Re: [Zope] Re: Java vs Zope

2006-01-06 Thread Jean-Marc Orliaguet
Here is a document that explains why scripting languages are better than system programming languages (like C, C++, Java) for creating large scale applications, for gluing components together, thanks to weak typing: http://home.pacbell.net/ouster/scripting.html this too might be

Re: [Zope] Re: Java vs Zope

2006-01-06 Thread bruno desthuilliers
Asad Habib wrote: (top-post corrected) On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, bruno desthuilliers wrote: Asad Habib wrote: (top-post corrected) On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, bruno desthuilliers wrote: Rocky Burt wrote: (snip) In fact I'd go as far as to say that Python seems *more* object-oriented than Java.

Re: [Zope] Re: Java vs Zope

2006-01-06 Thread bruno desthuilliers
Lennart Regebro wrote: On 1/6/06, bruno desthuilliers [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Not even - Python is byte-compiled too. The difference is that the Python interpreter (call it 'VM' if you think that 'interpreter' isn't buzzword-compliant enough) is smart enough to take care of the compilation

Re: [Zope] Re: Java vs Zope

2006-01-06 Thread Lennart Regebro
On 1/6/06, bruno desthuilliers [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Lennart Regebro wrote: On 1/6/06, bruno desthuilliers [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Not even - Python is byte-compiled too. The difference is that the Python interpreter (call it 'VM' if you think that 'interpreter' isn't

Re: [Zope] migrating a zodb

2006-01-06 Thread Dieter Maurer
David Bear wrote at 2006-1-5 15:55 -0700: I installed zope 2.7.4 from FreeBSD packages. Trouble is that I already had python 2.4 installed. It appears the package just used that version of python since zope says it is using python 2.4. I've run in to a few wierd things and would like to get a

Re: [Zope] Cookie Crumbler

2006-01-06 Thread Dieter Maurer
Infor Gates wrote at 2006-1-5 14:11 -0800: Yes, after reading the source code. However, my problem as I found out is that I do not know how to access the methods in CC from DTML. I am not well verse with Python (still learning though). Please, read my messages carefully! As

Re: [Zope] Re: Java vs Zope

2006-01-06 Thread Dieter Maurer
Asad Habib wrote at 2006-1-6 11:27 -0500: Actually, that's not true. Languages such as Perl and Python were designed to write scripts, not to code entire applications. Python is an exception because it can be successfully used to code large applications, unlike some other scripting languages.

[Zope] Re: Java vs Zope

2006-01-06 Thread Cliff Williams
I was waiting for someone else to mention this and am only adding it because I haven't seen it yet. To answer you question Why wold anyone use Java? I present the following: It's not always about the technology. Outside of Fortune 1000 america we can debate the merits of differing

Re: [Zope] create description when I mouse over a formulator form field???

2006-01-06 Thread Gabriel Genellina
At Friday 6/1/2006 13:45, Rhonda Shirah wrote: I would like to add a description to each of my fields in my formulator form. I would like the description to show when I mouse over the empty field on the form. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Most browsers show the 'title' attribute in a

Re: [Zope] Problem with Zwiki mail-out

2006-01-06 Thread Tracy R Reed
Tracy R Reed wrote: I am using Plone 2.1 and Zope 2.8.4-final, python 2.3.5, Zwiki 0.46.0 I am not having any luck getting mail-out working. The subscribe button won't appear on my zwiki and I am out of ideas as to why. Ok, with some help from d2m on IRC (thanks d2m!) I have figured this

Re: [Zope] Cookie Crumbler

2006-01-06 Thread Infor Gates
Thank you for your patience. Please do pardon my ignorance - am still at learning the learning stage.ChDieter Maurer [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Infor Gates wrote at 2006-1-5 14:11 -0800:Yes, after reading the source code. However, my problem as I found out is that I do not know how to access the

Re: [Zope] Cookie Crumbler

2006-01-06 Thread David H
Dieter Maurer wrote: Infor Gates wrote at 2006-1-4 20:14 -0800: I have a trying time using Cookie Crumbler 1.2 with Zope2.8.4 (windows version). I could NOT figure out how to log out a user. I have simplified to the orginal logged_out form to this: The "Cookie Crumber"

[Zope-Checkins] SVN: Zope/trunk/lib/python/Products/Five/ Sync with Five 1.3 r21753:

2006-01-06 Thread Florent Guillaume
Log message for revision 41170: Sync with Five 1.3 r21753: r21753 | efge | 2006-01-06 18:58:06 +0100 (Fri, 06 Jan 2006) Fix cleanup of five:traversable. r21752 | regebro | 2006-01-06 18:51:19 +0100 (Fri, 06 Jan 2006) If one class was set to have a localsite hook twice, removing the

Re: [Zope-dev] [Zope 2.10] ZPT going Unicode

2006-01-06 Thread Andreas Jung
--On 5. Januar 2006 21:12:08 +0100 Dieter Maurer [EMAIL PROTECTED] - allowing only unicode textual content when calling macros, PyScript etc. definitely not. I know that this is a hard requirement but it is an implicit requirement in Zope 3. - converting non-unicode to unicode

Re: [Zope-dev] [Zope 2.10] ZPT going Unicode

2006-01-06 Thread TAHARA Yusei
Hello. - the ZMI screens for ZPTs use a _fixed_ UTF-8 encoding (is this also fine for asian users?) This is fine for me, as one of asian user. - The ZPublisher will convert a 'unicode' ZPT using default_zpublisher_encoding (zope.conf) to a byte stream. The current

Re: [Zope-dev] [Zope 2.10] ZPT going Unicode

2006-01-06 Thread Andreas Jung
--On 6. Januar 2006 19:55:56 +0900 TAHARA Yusei [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: I've tried to the branch and I found a typo in zope.conf. I think default-zpublisher-encoding is a correct directive name. This is already fixed. By the way, I have a request related to this changes. If the

[Zope-dev] Zope tests: 8 OK

2006-01-06 Thread Zope tests summarizer
Summary of messages to the zope-tests list. Period Thu Jan 5 12:01:01 2006 UTC to Fri Jan 6 12:01:01 2006 UTC. There were 8 messages: 8 from Zope Unit Tests. Tests passed OK --- Subject: OK : Zope-2_6-branch Python-2.1.3 : Linux From: Zope Unit Tests Date: Thu Jan 5 21:03:47 EST

[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope 2.10] ZPT going Unicode

2006-01-06 Thread Florent Guillaume
Dieter Maurer wrote: I'd rather have a one-time update method that trawls the database, like is done for Python Scripts recompiling for instance. Or I can call it myself in my upgrade procedures on the exact objects I know will need updates. I've implemented the setstate() variant as

[Zope-dev] Re: SVN: Zope/branches/2.9/ Move to ZODB 3.6 final.

2006-01-06 Thread Florent Guillaume
Hi, Why not use the tag you just made? ZODB svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/ZODB/tags/3.6.0/src/ZODB etc. (Hi have a vague feeling this may have been discussed before but I'm not sure ;)). Florent Tim Peters wrote: Log message for revision 41156: Move to ZODB 3.6 final. Changed:

Re: [Zope-dev] Re: SVN: Zope/branches/2.9/ Move to ZODB 3.6 final.

2006-01-06 Thread Tim Peters
[Florent Guillaume] Why not use the tag you just made? ZODB svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/ZODB/tags/3.6.0/src/ZODB etc. Ask Jim ;-) (Hi have a vague feeling this may have been discussed before but I'm not sure ;)). I'm not sure it's been coherently discussed on a mailing list: - While

Re: [Zope-dev] Re: SVN: Zope/branches/2.9/ Move to ZODB 3.6 final.

2006-01-06 Thread Jim Fulton
Tim Peters wrote: [Florent Guillaume] Why not use the tag you just made? ZODB svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/ZODB/tags/3.6.0/src/ZODB etc. Ask Jim ;-) I don't like using tags in externals. Each time an external is changed to a tag, svn creates .OLD directories and gets a new version.

Re: [Zope-dev] Re: SVN: Zope/branches/2.9/ Move to ZODB 3.6 final.

2006-01-06 Thread Andreas Jung
--On 6. Januar 2006 10:49:29 -0500 Jim Fulton [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: I don't like using tags in externals. Each time an external is changed to a tag, svn creates .OLD directories and gets a new version. It's a real hassle IMO. I _like_ tags in externals because they are self-documenting.

Re: [Zope-dev] Re: SVN: Zope/branches/2.9/ Move to ZODB 3.6 final.

2006-01-06 Thread Tim Peters
[Andreas Jung] I _like_ tags in externals because they are self-documenting. Dealing with externals where you have several different revision numbers is a PIA since you never know what version of a module is behind the revision. You always have look through the log for the referenced

[Zope-dev] buildbot failure in Zope trunk 2.4 Linux zc-buildbot

2006-01-06 Thread buildbot
The Buildbot has detected a failed build of Zope trunk 2.4 Linux zc-buildbot. Buildbot URL: http://buildbot.zope.org/ Build Reason: changes Build Source Stamp: 2617 Blamelist: andreasjung,anguenot,efge,jim BUILD FAILED: failed test sincerely, -The Buildbot

[Zope-dev] buildbot failure in Zope trunk 2.4 Windows 2000 zc-bbwin6

2006-01-06 Thread buildbot
The Buildbot has detected a failed build of Zope trunk 2.4 Windows 2000 zc-bbwin6. Buildbot URL: http://buildbot.zope.org/ Build Reason: changes Build Source Stamp: 2617 Blamelist: andreasjung,anguenot,efge,jim BUILD FAILED: failed failed slave lost sincerely, -The Buildbot

Re: [Zope-dev] [Zope 2.10] ZPT going Unicode

2006-01-06 Thread Dieter Maurer
Andreas Jung wrote at 2006-1-6 10:13 +0100: ... A site encoding as default makes sense however there are situations when the encoding of a string from is different. E.g. when you deal with XMLHTTPRequest the browser expects an utf8 fragment which might conflict with an iso-8859-15

[Zope-DB] User Authentication

2006-01-06 Thread Laurentiu Traineanu
Hello Everyone, I need help in configuring user authentication for a folder in Zope using MySQL database. I spent many hours reading and searching for the answer but I con not reach a successful outcome. Here is what I did so far: - the folder that needs to be protected is "Root