Get the most out of the Solaris(TM) Operating Environment (Solaris
OE) with the right toolset: Forte(TM) Developer 6 Update 2 tools. A
completely integrated, best-of-breed toolset, it gives you everything
you need to create scalable, high-performance applications for the
Solaris OE. Download a free 30-day trial now:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3316116;6335034;w?http://www.sun.com/fortesuite?AssociateId=CK500
=======================================

LEAD STORY

"Microsoft, Unisys prep 64-bit SQL Server"
Liberty will be let loose on the marketplace within months of the
Windows.Net rollout in early 2002 (typical lag time is 60-90 days).
Liberty is the code-name for the 64-bit version of SQL Server 2000.
Early versions of it will be available to some ISVs within weeks.
Great expectations will come with the database -- some integrators
say SQL Server now has a shot at the high end.

SOURCE: CRN
http://www.crn.com/Sections/BreakingNews/BreakingNews.asp?ArticleID=30009

Read more at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/ateQuestionNResponse/0,289625,sid12_cid410087_tax287980,00.html.

OTHER SOLARIS AND INDUSTRY NEWS
[1] "Unix vendors boast of new customers"
[2] "OS/400 able to hold its own with competitors"
[3] "Scale-up: Wintel loses a price-performance battle"

[1] "Unix vendors boast of new customers"
HP is getting all the attention lately with its baby Superdome rp8400
Unix servers. So, with no new products to push, HP's competitors are
tooting their own horns about customer wins. IBM, Sun and Compaq are
all hyping new customers for the companies' Unix server lines.

SOURCE: ZDNet
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2095809,00.html

[2] "OS/400 able to hold its own with competitors"
An independent Gartner Group product report finds OS/400 to be a
formidable opponent of competitors like Solaris and Windows. (Free
registration to this site required.)

SOURCE: AS400Networks
http://www.as400network.com/info/profile/login.cfm?ReferringPage=%2Fnwn%2Fstory%2Ecfm%3FID%3D11488

[3] "Scale-up: Wintel loses a price-performance battle"
An HP benchmark published this week has a Unix system beating a
Windows system on price for comparable performance. HP Server rp8400
midrange Unix/RISC begs comparisons to the 32-way Unisys system
running Windows Datacenter Server and SQL Server 2000 Enterprise
Edition. The lead product manager for SQL Server says HP used Sybase
Adaptive Server 12 in its benchmark and suggested they may have used
the database to drive down the system cost.

SOURCE: ENT Magazine
http://www.entmag.com/breaknews.asp?ID=4959

TAKE OUR NEW POLL!!

What's the most urgent change that your IT group will implement as a
result of the recent terrorist attacks? Tell us what you think at
http://www.searchsolaris.com/poll.

Previous Poll Results:

What do you think Hewlett-Packard's acquisition of Compaq will mean
to you, the customer?

I'm jumping ship. This only makes IBM and Sun look better. 36%
It won't affect me a whole lot. 19%
It's a great move because it will make HP a stronger, more
competitive company. 18%
I'm afraid I'll be paying more for the same 'ole stuff. 17%
Sounds good to the financial guys, but what happens to my service and
support? 9%

This week's searchSolaris Featured Topic is "Storage Decisions 2001"
Get your fill of storage info at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid12_gci755010,00.html.

Discuss Storage arrays and other pieces of hardware with other admins
at http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?50@@.ee8445b.

Learn from the Storage Innovators at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/tipsIndex/0,289482,sid12_tax287699,00.html.

======================================
SEARCHSOLARIS.COM WEB LINK OF THE DAY
======================================

"Improving data, storage and backup management"
To keep up with the needs of its customers, Harte-Hanks required a
storage system that could process information quickly but also
cost-effectively.

SOURCE: searchSolaris
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid12_gci554899,00.html

See all of our hand-picked BEST WEB LINKS at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,,sid12,00.html.

================
THE MISSING LINK
A look at an off-the-wall story from the Web...
================

"Yahoo to start charging for online dating service"
It doesn't matter if you're a SWM or a DBF -- if the Yahoo personals
are your "bar scene," get ready to pay a cover charge. Starting in
October, Yahoo plans to charge $20 per month for the privilege of
browsing through its personal ads. "Scoping" has been free for the
last four years. Posting ads and replying to love notes will still be
free. Why the fee? Yahoo has been ISO (in search of) ways of making
money besides online advertising. Company officials figure when it
comes to finding love, people are willing to find an extra 20 bucks.

SOURCE: Reuters
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/reuters_wire/1506831l.htm

LIVE DISCUSSION DAY EVENT: 'Unix Security'

Join us on Wednesday, September 26th in the searchEnterpriseServers
Unix discussion forum for a discussion day on "Unix Security". Unix
security expert Gary Smith will be LIVE in the forum that day
answering your questions on firewalls, intrusion detection and
specific Unix security questions. Get quality advice from a seasoned
Unix veteran and columnist who writes a monthly security piece for
the Dallas-Forth Worth Unix user group. Enter your questions at
http://searchenterpriseservers.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?50@@.ee8400a.

SOUND OFF! WE WELCOME YOUR FEEDBACK - We're looking for your feedback
and suggestions as to how we can improve the site. If you have any
comments or suggestions please send an e-mail to Assistant Editor
Mark Brunelli at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]. We look forward to
improving your searchSolaris experience!

If you would like to sponsor this or any TechTarget newsletter,
please contact Gabrielle DeRussy at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED].

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://searchSolaris.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.