> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: tranferring of bakup from linux to windows
> From: Oleg Goldshmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > now i have written a backup script that copies the required files in the
> > backup directory on the linux server itself.
> >
> > now i need to copy all the backup on my windows m/c.
>
> Create a share on your windows compuiter, smbmount it on your Linux,
> use that as your Linux backup directory - the Linux machine won't know
> the difference.
>
> --
> Oleg Goldshmidt | [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I don't believe it's a good idea to just copy the files/directories to
the windoze machine using an smbmounted directory.  If you do this, you
lose all the ownership/permission information and also don't preserve
things like symlinks and hard links.  It's fine to use tar, cpio etc.
to *MAKE* the archive and then copy *THAT* to the windoze machine through
ftp, the smbmounted directory or any other means.  If you need to
access the data from the windoze machine, you can use WinZip which
will allow you to recover individual files or whole hierarchies.

GNU tar will compress/uncompress the archive on the fly, so you can do
things like:
       tar zcvf /mnt/wincdrive/myarchive.tgz your_archive_list
if you have the windoze directory smbmounted

or, if you don't have the directory on the windoze machine smbmounted:
       tar zcvf myarchive.tgz your_archive_list
and then copy "myarchive.tgz" to the windoze machine though ftp from the
windoze machine or use "smbclient" to do the equivalent of ftp *FROM* the
Linux machine *TO* the windoze machine.

--
        pete peterson
        Teradyne, Inc.

        [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        +1-978-589-7478 (Teradyne); +1-978-589-2088 (Closest FAX);
        +1-978-589-7007 (Main Teradyne Westford FAX)