> The problem:
> I have a HP Pavillion N3390 Laptop
> Monitor adapter - Silicon Lynx 3DM
> Monitor - Unknown (14 " laptop display panel)
> RH 7.1 being run
> The OS has been installed and set to run in text mode.
> After running 'Xconfigurator' and setting up Vertical frequencies, =
> Display type, etc ; the configurator makes a 'test display' of KDE =
> desktop properly. Subsequently when 'startx' is given the X session =
> starts up, but within 5 seconds while its still initializing the =
> peripherals, the screen goes blank. ctrl-alt-+ OR ctrl-alt-minus OR =
> ctrl-alt-backspace do not seem to have any effect and I have to
reboot. =
> Doesnt even go back to text mode !!!

I had similar problems with an HP Pavilion desktop machine.  Turned out
I had to install drivers for the video hardware (in my case, Nvidia
GeForce220 integrated GPU).  I got the drivers from the Nvidia website.
Had to install from source rpm's, because I had already upgraded my
kernel.  But it worked.

Hope this is helpful.

Jim