On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 10:32:39PM +0000, Joel Massey wrote:
> I can't set env vars. I have tried from a terminal in Gnome, I have tried from the
> command line, I have tried using my .profile file and .bash-profile file.   Anybody
> have any ideas???? I really don't want to re-install.  BTW I am using a fresh
> install of RH 7.1.
> (my forehead hurts from pounding my head on the keyboard, make it stop...)
I do not know what you tried to do.
The following will set an enviroment variable caller $DUMMY
DUMMY="joe"
 echo $DUMMY
 joe

In a bash script it is a little more complicated. You need to export
the variable such as:
DUMMY="joe"
export $DUMMY

- or -
export DUMMY="joe"

assuming you are using a bash shell. For example, for csh shell the
definition would have a different syntax.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
715 Stadium Dr.