Go for this tutorial.You will get some idea..

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/4232/1/

Laxman

> > I have not broken anything yet but I am about to, so I > > figured I would ask the > > question first. > > > I am adding a disk to my system. The disk may have been > > previously formatted > > with NT. I checked /etc/sysconfig/hwconf and the disk is there. > > > Do I first do a mount /dev/sdb3 /newdisk > > Then run mkfs > > Or do I mkfs and then mount it.

> You have to mount it first.... You can't access an unmounted disk.

If the disk has been formated with NT and he want's a new filesystem, he has to 'mkfs' the disk first... He is - hopefully - not going to mount a NT-formated disk!!!

And please, do not format a disk using 'mkfs' while it is mounted.... :(

-Oliver