I know this question has been asked several times over the years but I have not seen a definitive answer/solution if one exists. If one does not exist or I need to develop one, then I can stop looking! I am attempting to integrate a Tacacs+ PAM with OpenSSH. I would like to have the PAM authenticate the User ID as well as the password. Thus the users do not exist in /etc/passwd. I am not using NIS or any other system for user ids. The Tacacs server is the only place the user ids exist. Ultimately when the user authenticates via Tacacs, I will switch the user to a known user in /etc/passwd and provide the logging in user with a specific TTY interface via the shell. When attempting this on linux with OpenSSH 4.3p2 compiled with with_pam and seemingly the correct sshd_config options, I received the infamous "Invalid user" debug messages. Is this possible with the current OpenSSH and/or some patch for it?

Thanks in advance,
Gary